PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Steeler geek?

ETL
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
What are some things you do in following the Steelers that has your wife or/and girlfriend rolling their eyes wondering "why am I with this nerd?"

I confess the following:

EXCEL SPREADSHEET DEPTH CHART: I have an up to date Excel spreadsheet of the depth chart containing all 90 players. It ranks each position as to who I think will likely make the team and players who will be a starter are designated in a different color. It automatically adds each player to the roster total. After the draft and free agency, I had 92 on my sheet and later read that Chad Spann and Antonio Smith were cut.

NUTS FOR DRAFT: My wife cannot understand why I get so excited for the draft. There is no action, no Hail Mary catches or game saving tackles and no wins or losses added to the standings. But still, I spent days reading mocks and hours watching the draft.

RANDOM STEELER FACTS: without even trying, I can tell u where every current Steeler player went to college. I can tell u which team they were on before they came to the steelers if they were a free agent or traded. I can tell u the starting roster of each Super Bowl teams and almost all the first round draft picks since 1980.

Yes, I am a Steeler geek.

grward
05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Dude, do you really think anyone can come close to this level of geekness? But definitely know this, we all envy you for it!!!

dyce23
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
What are some things you do in following the Steelers that has your wife or/and girlfriend rolling their eyes wondering "why am I with this nerd?"

I confess the following:

EXCEL SPREADSHEET DEPTH CHART: I have an up to date Excel spreadsheet of the depth chart containing all 90 players. It ranks each position as to who I think will likely make the team and players who will be a starter are designated in a different color. It automatically adds each player to the roster total. After the draft and free agency, I had 92 on my sheet and later read that Chad Spann and Antonio Smith were cut.

NUTS FOR DRAFT: My wife cannot understand why I get so excited for the draft. There is no action, no Hail Mary catches or game saving tackles and no wins or losses added to the standings. But still, I spent days reading mocks and hours watching the draft.

RANDOM STEELER FACTS: without even trying, I can tell u where every current Steeler player went to college. I can tell u which team they were on before they came to the steelers if they were a free agent or traded. I can tell u the starting roster of each Super Bowl teams and almost all the first round draft picks since 1980.

Man, I'm with you! I can't follow you down that spreadsheet road yet, lol...but I'm with you on everything else, except I'm 25, so I can only remember as far back as the early 90s. For the draft every year, I'll read mock after mock looking at the players people have us taking, and then I'll spend months looking at game film of those players as far down as the 5th round. I do this, though, because I don't watch college ball, and I like to evaluate players individually as well, so when I see someone we may be targeting, I start evaluating extensively. I'll create mocks of what I believe we'll do, and mocks of what I HOPE we do. Adding to the random Steeler facts, I like to do a lot of statistical analysis of our upcoming games during the season too. I know I'm a Steeler geek, but I'm proud of it, too. :tt04:

dyce23
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Dude, do you really think anyone can come close to this level of geekness? But definitely know this, we all envy you for it!!!

Man, I think most people on this board are Steeler geeks. I think they all have some aspect that they may be deeper into than any other - like that dude's spreadsheet - but I think a LOT of people here are true Steeler geeks. The casual fans are the ones that aren't on boards like these. That's just my opinion though. I know I am, at least. I wish there were more active posters here, because sometimes all I want to talk about is the Black N' Gold, yet no one is posting anything new. My dad and I talk about 'em everyday as we're the two biggest Steeler fans in my area, but I would like other opinions as well. Being in SC, it's hard to find people that follow the Steelers instead of the Panthers, so all I really have is my dad and boards like these. I don't think I can realistically get tired of talking about my boys. Also, I think that has a little to do with just my love of the game of football, but the Steelers are my favorite team, so they factor into the conversation more often than not.

Fire Arians
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
haha awesome. i fall under the #2 and #3 part also, but i don't have a spreadsheet. yet lol.

stb_steeler
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM

I confess the following:

Some one has alot of time on their hands.....lol

Rick5895
05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm one aswell. Lots of jersey, a helmet, huge Jack Lambert print, the lamp etc. But for me I always name my dogs with the Steelers in mind. My present dog is a female 7 month old German shepherd named......NOLL - A.

Rick5895
05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm one aswell. Lots of jersey, a helmet, huge Jack Lambert print, the lamp etc. But for me I always name my dogs with the Steelers in mind. My present dog is a female 7 month old German shepherd named..NOLL-A

NSMaster56
05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't make Steelers-specific excel spreadsheets, but rather NFL-wide spreadsheets (which track an unreal amount of information, mostly gambling/trend specific).

So I'm more of just an NFL nerd, a numbers nerd or plain nerd-nerd.

QCbeauBlak
05-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I like the comment above about everyone on Steeler boards being somewhat of a Steeler Geek in the sense that we all bring something different. I am a big college sports fan and pro sports fan so I watch guys as they grow into great players in college. I study the game but only to an extent. I enjoy trying to evaluate talent and projecting what kind of player they will become specific to the team and scheme I think they will be assigned to fit in.

StevieRayVol
05-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't have the spread sheet...But I still have the cover of Time Magazine talking about the Steelers Front Four "HALF A TON OF TROUBLE". The Rosters that were in TV Guide for Super Bowl 9 and 10 and 13 and 14. My Pittsburgh Steelers garbage can and pin up cork board that you could only order out of the SEARS CATALOG back in the day around 1975....

micraydim
05-05-2012, 07:19 AM
you are .. i' m not so much