PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro chooses Faneca's old number

Vis
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers-rookie-mini-camp-decastro-chooses-faneca-s-old-number/article_14140a42-9617-11e1-9148-0019bb30f31a.html#user-comment-area) PITTSBURGH – Today when David DeCastro took part in his first rookie mini-camp practice, he wore the number of a Steelers legend – 66.
Shortly after he was taken in the first round of the draft, DeCastro was assigned No. 61. But then he decided to change. Now he'll don the same number worn by Alan Faneca when he played for the Steelers.
DeCastro, an All-American guard out of Stanford, is already being compared to Faneca, the greatest guard in Steelers’ history. A first-round pick in the 1998 draft, Faneca played in seven Pro Bowls during his 10-run run with the Steelers.

“He was always one of those guys I watched and looked up to when I was in high school and college,” DeCastro said of Faneca. "So yeah, I like the number (66).”
When asked he is feels extra pressure by wearing Faneca’s number, DeCastro said “No. I already have enough pressure on me.”
DeCastro was one of 40 rookies and first-year players at practice today for the start of a three-day rookie mini-camp.
All nine of the draft picks were on hand as well as a slew of unheralded first-year free agents signed during the off-season, 11 undrafted free agents signed last week and a few players who were on the Steelers’ practice squad last year.
“It was great to get to work and get out here with these guys,” said Michael Adams, the former Ohio State tackle taken in the second round of the draft.
One of the undrafted free agents on the Steelers’ roster is outside linebacker Brandon Lindsey, a graduate of Aliquippa High School who played college football at Pitt.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers-rookie-mini-camp-decastro-chooses-faneca-s-old-number/article_14140a42-9617-11e1-9148-0019bb30f31a.html#.T6Qr-aCDUPM.twitter

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I hope he plays like Alan Faneca also :tt02:

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 02:50 PM
i love his moxie and desire to be not good, but great. some may have shied away from taking fanecas number and never requested it. he went out and took it.

Buddha Bus
05-04-2012, 02:57 PM
He's been touted as the second coming of Faneca. Seems appropriate to me.

Steelers>NFL
05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
He's been touted as the second coming of Faneca. Seems appropriate to me.

Better yet, he has been touted as another Steve Hutchinson. Rated as the second best guard in history behind John Hannah. :thumbsup:

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Better yet, he has been touted as another Steve Hutchinson. Rated as the second best guard in history behind John Hannah. :thumbsup:

that's very impressive indeed, even more so when you consider that DeCastro has yet to play a down in the NFL.

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Ed: Farrior's Number Doesn't Last Long in Retirement

FRIDAY, 04 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Well, that didn’t take long. The numbers of James Farrior and Chris Hoke have been given to rookies. At least they are high picks. Third-rounder Sean Spence is wearing No. 51 and second-rounder Mike Adams sports No. 76.

First-rounder David DeCastro was originally down to wear No. 61 but before his first practice, he asked for No. 66 and got it. So, all those who called DeCastro the next Alan Faneca may have known something.

No one wore No. 86, though.

Alameda Ta’amu has No. 95 which was worn by Greg Lloyd. Joey Porter was given the No. 95 as a rookie, and in training camp many compared him to Lloyd and said how much he looked like him, not just because of the number. Porter got tired of hearing the comparisons and switched to No. 55 (now worn by Stevenson Sylvester).

We’ll see if the same thing happens with DeCastro.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116237-ed-farriors-number-doesnt-last-long-in-retirement

Vis
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
A team with 6 SBs has had too many great players to protect numbers of any but all-time greats. at least until 3 digits are allowed.

SteelKid212
05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1535&d=1336172179

Must admit, I Like the look. :thumbsup:

55BaileyFan
05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I think 86 could be retired...but if 75 isn't; I doubt 86 ever will.

You have to assign young talent great Steeler numbers because we don't have the three digits, and well, we just don't retire numbers...only one.

Hail Stautner!
RIP #70

TRH
05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
good call DeCastro! Plus he'll be easy to spot on the field with the big #66

Steel Peon
05-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Was I supposed to start touching myself when I heard this news? Somehow I only feel like rolling my eyes :rolleyes::jerkit:.........I'll get excited when we start scoring points.

Steelersfan87
05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Indeed; until 75 is retired, no number but 70 is safe. I really think they should officially retire Joe Greene's number, though; especially now, while he is still with the team. Perhaps at the 40th anniversary of their first Super Bowl.

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Indeed; until 75 is retired, no number but 70 is safe. I really think they should officially retire Joe Greene's number, though; especially now, while he is still with the team. Perhaps at the 40th anniversary of their first Super Bowl.

:iagree: that would be awesome, although it probably shoulda already been done 5 years ago for the steelers 75th anniversary.

austinfrench76
05-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Love it!!!

steelbelieve
05-05-2012, 09:16 AM
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers-rookie-mini-camp-decastro-chooses-faneca-s-old-number/article_14140a42-9617-11e1-9148-0019bb30f31a.html#user-comment-area) PITTSBURGH – Today when David DeCastro took part in his first rookie mini-camp practice, he wore the number of a Steelers legend – 66.
Shortly after he was taken in the first round of the draft, DeCastro was assigned No. 61. But then he decided to change. Now he'll don the same number worn by Alan Faneca when he played for the Steelers.
DeCastro, an All-American guard out of Stanford, is already being compared to Faneca, the greatest guard in Steelers’ history. A first-round pick in the 1998 draft, Faneca played in seven Pro Bowls during his 10-run run with the Steelers.

“He was always one of those guys I watched and looked up to when I was in high school and college,” DeCastro said of Faneca. "So yeah, I like the number (66).”
When asked he is feels extra pressure by wearing Faneca’s number, DeCastro said “No. I already have enough pressure on me.”
DeCastro was one of 40 rookies and first-year players at practice today for the start of a three-day rookie mini-camp.
All nine of the draft picks were on hand as well as a slew of unheralded first-year free agents signed during the off-season, 11 undrafted free agents signed last week and a few players who were on the Steelers’ practice squad last year.
“It was great to get to work and get out here with these guys,” said Michael Adams, the former Ohio State tackle taken in the second round of the draft.
One of the undrafted free agents on the Steelers’ roster is outside linebacker Brandon Lindsey, a graduate of Aliquippa High School who played college football at Pitt.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers-rookie-mini-camp-decastro-chooses-faneca-s-old-number/article_14140a42-9617-11e1-9148-0019bb30f31a.html#.T6Qr-aCDUPM.twitter

Well, for us "old schoolers", he also took the number of a venerable, hard working pro bowl Steeler, Bruce Van Dyke.

kan_t
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm confident that 12, 32, 36, 52, 58, 59, 63, 75, 86 are safe even though they are not officially retired.

Vis
05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm confident that 12, 32, 36, 52, 58, 59, 63, 75, 86 are safe even though they are not officially retired.

But 26, 82, 88 are always worn.

Vis
05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, for us "old schoolers", he also took the number of a venerable, hard working pro bowl Steeler, Bruce Van Dyke.

He also took the number of Tony Hills.....