PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu calls on rookie "Poly"

mesaSteeler
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Polamalu calls on rookie "Poly"
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/polamalu-calls-on-rookie-poly/article_419b5786-8319-5133-ba84-e6287769832d.html

Steelers free agent linebackers Brandon Hicks (44) out of Florida and Myron Rolle (47) out of Florida State, warm up with the rest of the draft choices and free agents during rookie minicamp Saturday.

Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:30 pm | Updated: 10:30 pm, Sat May 5, 2012.

Mike Bires Times Sports Staff | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH -- It didn't take long for Troy Polamalu to reach out to the Steelers' latest player of Samoan descent. A few days after the NFL draft, the all-star safety called Alameda Ta'Amu on his cell phone.

"At first, I didn't even know it was him," said Ta'Amu, a defensive tackle out of Washington who was the Steelers' fourth-round pick. "When I answered the phone, I didn't know whose number it was. I was kind of awestruck when I figured out it was Troy Polamalu. It's nice to have another ‘Poly' looking out for you. We are brothers.

"He said that if there's anything I need to hit him up ... just having him out there and him calling me makes me feel better."

Ta'Amu is the heir apparent to veteran Casey Hampton at nose tackle.

THE NUMBERS GAME

David DeCastro and Sean Spence are proud to wear the jersey numbers of two of the greatest Steelers ever.

DeCastro, an All-American guard out of Stanford who was the Steelers' first-round pick in the draft, has chosen the same No. 66 worn by Alan Faneca. A first-round pick in the 1998 draft, Faneca played in seven Pro Bowls during his 10-run run with the Steelers.

"He was always one of those guys I watched and looked up to when I was in high school and college," DeCastro said of Faneca. "So yeah, I like the number (66)."

Shortly after the draft, DeCastro was assigned No. 61. But then right before the start of a three-day rookie mini-camp that ends today, he switched to 66.

Spence, an inside linebacker out of Miami (Fla.) taken in the third round, was assigned No. 51, the number worn by James Farrior the past 10 years.

"They just gave it to me," Spence said. "I don't think any other number was open. I understand James Farrior wore this number. He was a great linebacker. I'm not James Farrior. I'm just trying to come in and compete and help the team any way I can."

STEELERS FOOTBALL 101

A total of 40 players are taking part in the rookie mini-camp. All nine of this year's draft picks are on hand as well as a slew of first-year free agents signed during the off-season, 11 undrafted rookie free agents signed last week and a few players who were on the Steelers' practice squad last year.

"It was great to get to work and get out here with these guys," said Michael Adams, the former Ohio State tackle taken in the second round of the draft.

Coach Mike Tomlin agreed.

"We're having a really good weekend, getting to know these guys, introducing ourselves to these guys, introducing these guys to some of the fundamental things we believe in from a football standpoint," Tomlin said.

"We're beginning the process of helping them to develop skills that they're going to need to earn jobs, but largely this is an instructional camp."

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com or by phone at 724-622-4284

© 2012 Timesonline.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

austinfrench76
05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Any word on how the mini camp went?

MDSteel15
05-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Bump Bump Bump!!! Any word on mini?

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Source: Troy Polamalu Will Attend Steelers First OTA Session Next Week

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers will have their first OTA session next week and every year one of the questions heading into each OTA session is whether or not safety Troy Polamalu will be in attendance as these sessions are not mandatory participation. In the past Polamalu has chosen at times to stay at home in California and train, but a source informed me today that he plans to be in Pittsburgh next week.

Polamalu is coming off another Pro Bowl season that saw him start all 16 games for the first time since the 2008 season. In 2009 and 2010 he missed a total of 13 games due to a knee and ankle injuries. Polamalu recorded 91 total tackles in 2011 to go along with 1 sack and 1 fumble recovery. He also was credited with 14 passes defensed and 7 stuffs in addition.

Polamalu signed a contract extension last September that should allow him to finish his career with the Steelers as he is now under contract through the 2014 season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/source-troy-polamalu-will-attend-steelers-first-ota-session-next-week/