PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Max Starks?

Hawaii 5-0
05-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Starks?

May 1st, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/5873502-237x300.jpg

‘The Rookies’ got their jersey numbers on Monday. Perusing the long form roster, we can all heave a large sigh as #86 has not been re-issued already. I’m hoping the Steelers leave that one off the boards for a few years for those who had a soul and cherished our beloved Ward. But as I scanned the list, I noticed that Max Starks and that #78 were missing from that roster. Got me thinking – will we ever see that name again with that number?

Couple nights ago, @SteelersAddict on Twitter asked if the Steelers should make sure to bring back Starks now that they drafted Mike Adams. I emphatically replied ‘YES!’ And I mean it with all that twittered gusto. Bring back Starks, let he and Colon, Gilbert and Adams all duke it out during camp. The Steelers will be better for whomever comes out on top. It’s a win win for the Steelers. Of course this is working under the assumption that Starks is healthy enough for camp. But even if he is not, there is always the ever popular PUP list that will already be filled with stars like Mendenhall. Should Starks come back but not be ready, he could always ride the PUP list for 6 weeks and not count as a roster spot until those 6 weeks are up. Worth undertaking? I think so.

But will the Steelers bring Starks back? On paper, aside from their experience, Adams has some speed and arm length over Starks. I don’t think Adams will be the guy to start, but we would all be about as foolish as Cleveland Browns fans to think that the Steelers won’t groom him to hit that line as soon as possible. So what is Starks’ worth in the meantime? Not sure what kind of teaching license #78 has these days, but he could be one of the best teaching tools for the Steelers to use for a guy like Adams. But sometimes we know that the Steelers can walk away from a valuable tool like that for their younger players (see Release of Hines Ward). There is also the scenario that Willie Colon can stay healthy enough to make it onto the practice field in Latrobe this summer. We haven’t seen significant any playing time from this guy for some time. Will he be any good still after back to back season ending injuries?

I still feel that the Steelers need to bring back Starks for at least camp if not longer. He will be a good asset to the team – whether a starter or a backup. And the Steelers know better than anyone you can’t have too many offensive linemen waiting on the sidelines. In fact, Starks is well worth the roster spot for just that trend. Also, with all the other changes taking place this offseason by acquiring new OC Todd Haley, Big Ben might need his ‘best bud’ for some bro love on the sidelines when things get tough.

Could we see the #78 jersey in Latrobe this season? Maybe. But, it might be on Roethlisberger’s back again….

For the record and future: Jonathan Scott will NEVER enter a post when discussing the Steelers offensive line for next season. He is as good as out, and good riddance along with Kemoeatu.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/01/steelers-rebooted-o-line-the-end-of-starks/

Steelersfan87
05-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Scott isn't as good as out unless they do re-sign Starks. Which is all the more reason to re-sign Starks.

Dalarin
05-06-2012, 02:07 AM
^ Can't agree with more. Scott can't block much more than a soft breeze

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2012, 02:26 AM
for the right price, why not ? for the most part he played pretty good last year. if its between him, essex , or scott... hell yes i'd keep starks.

tanda10506
05-06-2012, 03:10 AM
I've been saying this all off season, we have to resign Starks. We need the depth and there is a lot of questions about our tackles. I'm the most optimistic about the O line out of everyone I know, but there are some questions: how will Adams transition into the NFL? Can Gilbert play LT well? Can Colon play more than 2 minutes a season? Will the injury bug bite again? I am confident Gilbert will evolve well and Adams will start this year. Im not sure that the injury bug won't bite again especially with Colon. And watching Johnathan Scott TRY to block is like watching somebody smash my knuckles with a ball peen hammer. We HAVE to sign Starks, he's cheap anyway, letting Starks go is like not buying the $10 5 year warranty on your $2000 tv, the insurance is worth the money.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Scott is under the final year of his contract, so he gets paid whether he is cut or not. Economics of the situation are that the team doesnt have the cap $$ to sign Starks........even if he is healthy. I think we have seen the last of Starks in B&G, and it doesnt bother me a bit.

The guy had all the tools to be a pro bowl LT, but never seemed to interested in trying to become one.

Steelersfan87
05-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Scott is under the final year of his contract, so he gets paid whether he is cut or not.

I don't think that's how it works. If I recall correctly, none of his salary was guaranteed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't think that's how it works. If I recall correctly, none of his salary was guaranteed.

Maybe you are correct, but I thought theyhad to release him before free agency or have to pay the annual salary. Either way, I would not be sad at all to see the Max Starks era over in Pittsburgh.

Steelersfan87
05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think you could find a better reserve tackle than Starks if you tried right now if he can be had for a veteran qualifying contract.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Let me know when the Steelers sign starks. For now I am going under the assumption that he isnt on the team and will not be.

tanda10506
05-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think you could find a better reserve tackle than Starks if you tried right now if he can be had for a veteran qualifying contract.

Agreed, he's actually a pretty good starting tackle too. I would think he would sign for vet minimum as he is coming off an injury and will likely either play in Pittsburgh or not at all.

Kingmagyar
05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Starks is without a doubt the best backup we can have right now against injury to a Tackle either for a period of weeks or on gameday.

If Veterans play in the first game then their salaries are guaranteed for the full year so Jonathan (I play left tackle like a stumbling drunken fool) Scott will be on the chopping block because of that salary.

Depth (they keep 9-10)

Pouncey
Gilbert
DeCastro
Colon
Adams
Legursky
Essex
Foster
9th spot?

Scott would be the 9th guy at 2.2 million. If Adams doesn't make it as a starter this year then he is your swing tackle. If he does and Colon (who can only play RT) moves to Guard. Then they would still need Scott to be the swing tackle unless Trevis Turner excels or Max Starks is resigned. Starks would only have to accept less then Scott's 2.2 million and Scott would be history.

If Colon loses his RT spot and can't play Guard (he hasn't in his career) and the fact he can't play LT at all, he may not even dress on gamedays.The Tackle you dress must be able to play both sides. So there is room for Max Starks or Jonathan Scott if Adams wins a starting job.

Hawaii 5-0
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Mike Adam’s Success Could Determine Max Starks’ Future with Steelers

May 7, 2012
Steelblitz Steelers Blog

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/londoncreative/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Mike-Adams1-575x430.jpg&w=560&zc=1&h=300

During the 2010 season rookie Maurkice Pouncey was the Steelers top center. In 2011 Marcus Gilbert was the top right tackle following a week one injury to Willie Colon. Heading into the 2012 season it seems first round pick David DeCastro is set to continue the trend by starting at right guard as a rookie, but he may not be the only rookie starting on the Steelers offensive line in 2012.

Early in the offseason the Steelers had said that Marcus Gilbert could be shifted to left tackle in his second year after playing on the right side as a rookie. However, the Steelers second round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Mike Adams, is a natural left tackle and was rumored to be drafted primarily to play on the left side. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed yesterday that this is the case and Adams will practice exclusively at left tackle this offseason.

Depending on how Adams plays during the offseason the Steelers will have to decide what to do at the tackle positions. It wouldn’t make much sense to play Gilbert and Adams both on the left side only to move one back to the right side at a later time. Prior to the draft veteran Willie Colon was the top right tackle and Gilbert was rumored to be moving to the left side. After the draft it seems the Steelers may keep Gilbert on the right side which could shuffle the entire line. Colon could move to either guard position leaving left tackle up for grabs.

Adams could take the left tackle position on his own if he shows the coaches he is ready during training camp. However, if Adams isn’t ready to start in 2012 the Steelers could look to an old reliable in Max Starks. Starks, who tore his ACL in the wild-card round playoff loss to the Broncos, has said he will be ready to go by mid-summer and the Steelers have not ruled out bringing Starks back. Max would provide a veteran starter for the 2012 season allowing Adams to learn for a year before taking over the role in 2013. Coming off an injury and not playing a full season Starks isn’t likely to have many suitors in free agency. He could likely be had on a one year contract at the veteran minimum.

The only other options at left tackle on the current roster are Gilbert, who would likely then be moved back to the right side later on, and Jonathan Scott, who could still be a cap casualty and has been a liability on the left side of the line. Moving Gilbert side to side between the left and right makes little sense compared to letting him continue to play one side and become better. The left and right sides of the line play much differently and keeping him on one side would be easier on him than forcing him to learn the left side and then move him back to the right side in a year.

Some fans still have questions about Adams work ethic and don’t believe he has what it takes to be a “Steeler,” but Adams is ready to prove himself to Steeler Nation. He may have had a few off-the-field issues, but Adams has always been a performer on the field.

“I think step one is proving myself off the field because that’s where my issues have been,” said Adams, who worked at left tackle during rookie camp. “I haven’t had any issues on the field. To prove myself to the people in this organization, the people in this city, that’s what I’m here for.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_adams_success_could_determine_max_starks_futu re_with_steelers/10742462

berkeley bradshaw
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
No more Starks. We tried that last year and got inferior blocking during passing downs. He's OK on running plays, but due to fitness issues and age, he's past his prime. Adams is the guy despite his background. Smoking weed isn't like doing 'roids or HGH problems. Colon should do fine with Adams et al pushing him during camp. As for Starks, he didn't show me nothing during passing plays last year. Ben deserves better.

Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Starks?

May 1st, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/5873502-237x300.jpg

‘The Rookies’ got their jersey numbers on Monday. Perusing the long form roster, we can all heave a large sigh as #86 has not been re-issued already. I’m hoping the Steelers leave that one off the boards for a few years for those who had a soul and cherished our beloved Ward. But as I scanned the list, I noticed that Max Starks and that #78 were missing from that roster. Got me thinking – will we ever see that name again with that number?

Couple nights ago, @SteelersAddict on Twitter asked if the Steelers should make sure to bring back Starks now that they drafted Mike Adams. I emphatically replied ‘YES!’ And I mean it with all that twittered gusto. Bring back Starks, let he and Colon, Gilbert and Adams all duke it out during camp. The Steelers will be better for whomever comes out on top. It’s a win win for the Steelers. Of course this is working under the assumption that Starks is healthy enough for camp. But even if he is not, there is always the ever popular PUP list that will already be filled with stars like Mendenhall. Should Starks come back but not be ready, he could always ride the PUP list for 6 weeks and not count as a roster spot until those 6 weeks are up. Worth undertaking? I think so.

But will the Steelers bring Starks back? On paper, aside from their experience, Adams has some speed and arm length over Starks. I don’t think Adams will be the guy to start, but we would all be about as foolish as Cleveland Browns fans to think that the Steelers won’t groom him to hit that line as soon as possible. So what is Starks’ worth in the meantime? Not sure what kind of teaching license #78 has these days, but he could be one of the best teaching tools for the Steelers to use for a guy like Adams. But sometimes we know that the Steelers can walk away from a valuable tool like that for their younger players (see Release of Hines Ward). There is also the scenario that Willie Colon can stay healthy enough to make it onto the practice field in Latrobe this summer. We haven’t seen significant any playing time from this guy for some time. Will he be any good still after back to back season ending injuries?

I still feel that the Steelers need to bring back Starks for at least camp if not longer. He will be a good asset to the team – whether a starter or a backup. And the Steelers know better than anyone you can’t have too many offensive linemen waiting on the sidelines. In fact, Starks is well worth the roster spot for just that trend. Also, with all the other changes taking place this offseason by acquiring new OC Todd Haley, Big Ben might need his ‘best bud’ for some bro love on the sidelines when things get tough.

Could we see the #78 jersey in Latrobe this season? Maybe. But, it might be on Roethlisberger’s back again….

For the record and future: Jonathan Scott will NEVER enter a post when discussing the Steelers offensive line for next season. He is as good as out, and good riddance along with Kemoeatu.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/01/steelers-rebooted-o-line-the-end-of-starks/

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Can we all stop speaking so matter-of-factly and acting like we know more than we do? We have no idea when Mike Adams will be ready. We don't even know if he will eventually play LT. That is not a guarantee. Jim Wexell says he can "absolutely see Adams as a RT". We've never seen Marcus Gilbert handle the LT spot in a real NFL game. We don't know if Starks will be brought back, and if he will be better or worse than last year. We don't know how Haley will impact the blocking schemes and who it will most benefit. In other words, there's a lot of crap we don't know and we shouldn't act like we do. It's like mock drafts that get blown up due to trades. You know it's going to look bad after the fact, but you do it anyway.

austinfrench76
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I hope Starks is the back up. I loathe J Scott and if he is on the field, IMO it would mean that we will have derailed as a team and the season is lost OR that something catastrophic happened to one of our other Tackles. Plus, I like Max as a player and seems like a good guy.

Steelerfreak58
05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Starks came off the couch and did a hell of a job for us last year. If he can get enough physical therapy and show that he can continue to play the game he should have just as much of a legitimate shot as any of the rest of them.

How good was Max Starks? Second Ravens game you hear Suggs name called how many times? Yeah that's right Zero.

Bring him in as back up at least for vet minimum IF HE SHOWS HE IS HEALTHY.

tony hipchest
05-09-2012, 12:40 AM
We don't know how Haley will impact the blocking schemes and who it will most benefit. In other words, there's a lot of crap we don't know and we shouldn't act like we do.

actually haley has already come out and said how he will impact the blocking schemes. while there is alot of crap "we" dont know, some know more than others.

Kingmagyar
05-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Starks came off the couch and did a hell of a job for us last year. If he can get enough physical therapy and show that he can continue to play the game he should have just as much of a legitimate shot as any of the rest of them.

How good was Max Starks? Second Ravens game you hear Suggs name called how many times? Yeah that's right Zero.

Bring him in as back up at least for vet minimum IF HE SHOWS HE IS HEALTHY.

Suggs individual game stats last year against the Steelers.

5 Tackles 3 Sacks 2 Forced Fumbles courtesy of Jonathan (I play LT like a stumbling drunk fool) Scott.

1 assisted Tackle courtesy of Max Starks.

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 03:00 AM
actually haley has already come out and said how he will impact the blocking schemes. while there is alot of crap "we" dont know, some know more than others.

I appreciate your undeservedly snarky attitude, but I already knew that as well. What I meant was that we don't know how the change in blocking schemes will affect the offense, and the individual linemen in particular. Like cornerbacks, linemen are more inclined toward certain techniques that accentuate their skills. In other words, it's just another variable that we can't predict that makes speaking in absolutes about the future seem pointless outside of the joy of blabbering.

Edman
05-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Max Starks seriously has to be the most underappreciated and underrated Steeler of all time. Even after he solidified Ben's blindside most of last year after Traffic Cone Scott, he still gets dogged. Bring him back as a backup and get rid of Scott.

wera176
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Max Starks seriously has to be the most underappreciated and underrated Steeler of all time. Even after he solidified Ben's blindside most of last year after Traffic Cone Scott, he still gets dogged. Bring him back as a backup and get rid of Scott.

^ This.

"Jonathan (I play left tackle like a stumbling drunken fool) Scott"

ROTFLMAO! :rofl:

VaDave
05-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I still think Starks makes the squad. Seriously, who would you rather have at swing tackle for sub purposes, Scott? The other Scott? Essex? A Rookie? Adams, is not ready to start in the NFL, and the other three options, and we've all seen them play, are not even close to being adaquate.... J Scott's future on the Steelers is as long as it is for Starks to fully recover.

Beachum and the other kid will be at best on the practice squad. JMO.

Fire Arians
05-09-2012, 12:01 PM
^ This.

"Jonathan (I play left tackle like a stumbling drunken fool) Scott"

ROTFLMAO! :rofl:

jonathan 'rollerskates' scott lol

cut the bum and use that money to sign starks as a backup

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I think Rollerscotts should be his official nickname.

Hawaii 5-0
05-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I still think Starks makes the squad.

Max Starks is currently an UFA and not on our roster, so we would have to sign him first. personally, I don't see us doing so unless there is an injury.

lloydwoodson
05-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks so. I see Adams as the eventual LT. I think Starks should play there one more year. Scott is horrible- he is the Sean Mahan of tackles.

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
with Willie Colon moving to left guard, I hope this means the return of Max Starks at LT, Marcus Gilbert remaining at RT with Mike Adams backing up both tackle positions and the end of Jonathan Scott.

pancake
05-16-2012, 02:48 PM
with Willie Colon moving to left guard, I hope this means the return of Max Starks at LT, Marcus Gilbert remaining at RT with Mike Adams backing up both tackle positions and the end of Jonathan Scott.

:thumbsup:

Fire Arians
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Honestly I hope this move means they like what they see in Mike Adams

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
FRIDAY, 18 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Many people have asked me if the Steelers plan to re-sign Max Starks, who had ACL surgery in January. I was told they would look at him again in June to see what kind of shape he’s in and how his recovery is coming along. I was told that before the draft and really have not talked to anyone about him since then. They have nothing to lose by taking a look at Starks but I don’t know if they want him as a backup. They do have depth at tackle when you consider Jonathan Scott along with Trai Essex and even Colon.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116414-ed-steelers-all-defense-team-of-21st-c

pittpete
05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Guys on Sirius today said they saw Max recently and he was in the best shape of his life...:hatsoff:

Steelersfan87
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Starks awaits another chance in NFL

By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated 1 hours ago

When the Steelers decided to move Willie Colon to left guard and keep Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, the one person they didn’t have in mind to fill the void at left tackle was Max Starks.

The veteran free agent has yet to be contacted by the Steelers, seemingly further solidifying the team’s intentions of giving rookie second-round pick Mike Adams every opportunity of winning the left tackle job in training camp.

“I have not had contact with management or anybody like that,” Starks said Friday while on his way to rehab his surgically repaired knee in Phoenix. “I guess eventually I will hear something from them … or maybe not.”

The Steelers seem intent on revamping their offensive line, even if that means doing something they rarely do: Start rookie offensive linemen.

The Steelers have started a rookie up front to open the season three times since the 1970 merger — Tom Ricketts in 1989, Marvel Smith in 2000 and Maurkice Pouncey in 2010.

They could have two — Adams and first-round pick David DeCastro — in the starting lineup Week 1 in Denver.

The Steelers plan to have Adams, Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex battle for the starting left tackle spot during camp.

“As for myself, I don’t see (me being a part of that battle) unless there is something I don’t know,” Starks said.

Starks likely won’t be ready for the start of training camp anyway.

It’s been about four months since Dr. James Bradley repaired the ACL Starks tore in his right knee during the wild-card playoff loss to Denver.

“I am pretty good, actually,” Starks said. “I am starting lateral work movement with my ACL, and everything is moving along nicely.”

Starks has a follow-up visit with Bradley soon during which he will get a better grasp on how far along he is. An ACL tear typically carries a nine-month recovery. With that time frame, Starks would be ready close to opening week.

“It would be pushing it to be in training camp,” Starks said. “It is not unfeasible. Athletes push it to be ready in six months, but my mindset is to be ready to play by Week 1. That’s a realistic goal for me.”

If Adams doesn’t catch on quickly, the Steelers could call on Starks like they did last season.

Starks was cut two days before training camp in a salary dump. After struggling up front during the first month, the Steelers signed Starks heading into Week 5. Starks started the remaining nine games at left tackle and played well.

Starks doesn’t know whether, if called upon again, he could replicate last season’s performance, mostly because of having a new offensive coordinator in Todd Haley.

“I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,” Starks said. “It would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody. I have the mindset of rehabbing and make sure my knee is in the best possible shape and be ready to go when someone calls.”

As for the Steelers making that call?

“If the situation arises, it is something that I would definitely be interested in,” Starks said.

Kingmagyar
05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Which means Jonathan Scott survives the roster for now and through camp at the very least.

Steelersfan87
05-19-2012, 02:58 PM
It does seem to suggest that, yeah. If Starks is not ready to practice by the tail end of training camp, then that basically means that he will not be on the team except in an emergency, because then they wouldn't be able to release Scott before the season starts and thus would be stuck with his full contract.