PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Max Starks

lloydwoodson
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Could someone please tell me the likelihood of Max Starks being back next year? Thanks in advance. I think Max Starks is a solid LT and I'm really hoping he is back next year. I don't see a replacement on the Steelers that comes close to Starks. I am still incredulous that Scott started last year. I am not sure why Starks is so undervalued. Can someone fill me in?

harrison'samonster
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I can't answer your question, but it would be nice to see them bring him in to compete for a spot. It always seemed like Roethlisberger and him got along really well too

tanda10506
05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I can't answer your question, but it would be nice to see them bring him in to compete for a spot. It always seemed like Roethlisberger and him got along really well too

Not just to compete for a spot but to be on the team. We need depth and Scott is worthless.

tony hipchest
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
marcus gilbert is our starting left tackle.

Bayz101
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
marcus gilbert is our starting left tackle.

Unless Mike Adams gets the call. I recall Colbert pondering the whole Adams/Gilbert decision, but as of right now, yes, Gilbert is starting at LT.

Steelersfan87
05-07-2012, 09:34 PM
If Starks is back, it's more likely than not to replace Jonathan Scott as the swing tackle. His rehabbing is ahead of schedule and he is already running. He previously said that he should be ready to go by mid-July, but he might even be healthy a bit earlier. Honestly, if I were to make an educated guess, I would say there's about a 50/50 chance that the Steelers cut Scott and re-sign Starks to fulfill the 3rd tackle spot. There are many factors at play, however, such as Starks' willingness to accept a veteran minimum, qualifying one year contract, Scott's willingness to take a pay cut to keep his job, and, generally, what the coaches think of each player. And, of course, Starks' health.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2012, 10:14 PM
To answer the OP question, Starks was a guy that was athletic, huge, had long arms....but played soft and lacked intensity coming out of college at Florida. He continued that trend by playing soft with a lack of intensity and IMO, never lived up to what he could have been.

He became the default LT when Marvel Smith retired due to injury and the Steelers never drafting an adequate replacement. IMO, Starks should have been a RT, but played LT and contributed to our mediocre Oline.

Why is he undervalued?? Lets just say he is overvalued by the Steeler fans. He is valued appropriately by the NFL front offices and scouting community, as a guy with above average skill and size that combined below average motivation to become a career RT.

tony hipchest
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
IMO, Starks should have been a RT, but played LT and contributed to our mediocre Oline.

in defense of starks, he WAS a RT until the young willie colon (who some think should be a career RG) stole the job out from under his nose and sat his ass on the bench. :smile:

lloydwoodson
05-08-2012, 04:23 AM
I don't like Gilbert starting over Starks at LT. Gilbert had problems with speed rushers in my view. I think he is going to have trouble going against the other team's best rusher week in and week out. He will also be new to the position. I personally feel it would be the best case scenario to start Starks at LT, keep Gilbert at RT, and let Adams build strength and experience for a year before taking over LT. I think Adams is pegged to be the LT. From these responses it seems like Starks is going to be with the Steelers next year which I am happy about. Thanks for the info.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
in defense of starks, he WAS a RT until the young willie colon (who some think should be a career RG) stole the job out from under his nose and sat his ass on the bench. :smile:

Tony, this has always been my problem with Starks. Even back in the 04 Senior Bowl the reports on him were..."has the look of a dominant run blocker, if he wants to".

The guy has had the size to be elite in the league, but never the fire to compete. He should have stayed at RT and we should have drafted a LT to replace Marvel Smith, but were too busy trying to get Ben some "weapons" on offense.

Here is another report of Starks his draft year and nothing on it is something I would disagree on. Pasquerelli did the writeup.

Declining: Tackle Max Starks (Florida) is one of the nicest kids you'd ever want to meet, a high character guy, and will be on an NFL roster in 2004. But his sluggish times, in the 5.6 range, have really hurt him. There are concerns about his footwork, ability to adjust, and his weight. He can play both tackle spots and guard, is a hard worker, and wants to be good. But he has probably slipped to the third round now

steelbelieve
05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
It's hard to argue that Starks has been a solid contributor at more than one position though. For a third round pick to become a competent starter at two positions on the offensive line says a lot of positive things about him. At the same time, his "starting" ship has sailed. He would, however, represent, really solid depth if he's willing to sign at vet minimum. I love to hear any reasonable argument in favor of Scott over him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I love to hear any reasonable argument in favor of Scott over him.

The only benefit of Scott over Starks is 1. cost (Starks may want more $$) 2. age and injury (Scott is younger and less injury history) 3. Position Flexibile (Scott can play OT or Guard if needed).

I'm honestly good with Jon Scott backing up at RT. With Essex also signed, I think its between those 2 and Chris Scott to see who makes the team if they only keep 9 O linemen. Gilbert, Adams, Colon are locks to make the 53.

1 of those 3 is gone. If they keep 10, then all 3 probably make it.

Fire Arians
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
The only benefit of Scott over Starks is 1. cost (Starks may want more $$) 2. age and injury (Scott is younger and less injury history) 3. Position Flexibile (Scott can play OT or Guard if needed).

I'm honestly good with Jon Scott backing up at RT. With Essex also signed, I think its between those 2 and Chris Scott to see who makes the team if they only keep 9 O linemen. Gilbert, Adams, Colon are locks to make the 53.

i'd take essex over scott anyday

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

and I am of the opposite thought.

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I think your opinion of Starks' quality of play is way too colored by your view of him underutilizing his potential. Regardless of how much effort he really puts in from down to down, it's impossible to deny that he is at the least a competent, starting quality left tackle. Is he a Pro Bowler? No. But would he be at least the third best tackle on the team this season, behind Willie Colon and Marcus Gilbert? Absolutely.

Hawaii 5-0
05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

I think it's difficult to have a good OL with either Scott or Essex starting for any extended period of time. both of them are backups to be used in extreme emergencies only.

my favorite position for both of them is "Left Out"...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I think your opinion of Starks' quality of play is way too colored by your view of him underutilizing his potential. Regardless of how much effort he really puts in from down to down, it's impossible to deny that he is at the least a competent, starting quality left tackle. Is he a Pro Bowler? No. But would he be at least the third best tackle on the team this season, behind Willie Colon and Marcus Gilbert? Absolutely.

I will agree that he would be the 3rd best OT on the team....IF he were a Steeler. In Fact, I may say he is 4th behind Mike Adams.

Is he ha competent starting quality LT..........if you consider a mediocre LT that probably ranks 25-32 in the NFL.....sure. At this point he is a free agent rehabbing from an injury.

I think the opinion of many on this board is tained because at this moment he is not a steeler lineman. Oh, and if you want me to name 30 OT's in the NFL that would be better than Starks, not a problem. Just about every LT in our division and most of the RT's are better than him.

lloydwoodson
05-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I will agree that he would be the 3rd best OT on the team....IF he were a Steeler. In Fact, I may say he is 4th behind Mike Adams.

Is he ha competent starting quality LT..........if you consider a mediocre LT that probably ranks 25-32 in the NFL.....sure. At this point he is a free agent rehabbing from an injury.

I think the opinion of many on this board is tained because at this moment he is not a steeler lineman. Oh, and if you want me to name 30 OT's in the NFL that would be better than Starks, not a problem. Just about every LT in our division and most of the RT's are better than him.

The only tackle on the Steelers who is arguably better than Starks is Colon who is not a LT. Starks is better than Gilbert. Starks at LT allowed 4.5 sacks in 12 starts and Gilbert at RT allowed 7 sacks in 13 starts. Gilbert didn't have to play against DPOY Suggs, who Starks held to zero sacks after Suggs embarassed Scott with 3 and 2 FF in the first game. Mike Adams hasn't even played a game and he is better than Starks? Wow. Starks was 14th in sacks allowed last season so you might have a hard time finding 30 tackles better than him.

lloydwoodson
05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Found this about Starks coming in last season...

"First I want to take a look at the career Stats of Max Starks. Over his 7 year career he has started 68 games. In those 68 games he allowed 33 sacks, been called for false starts 10 times, and holding 7 times. Just to put those is a sort of perspective I wan to show the stats of Joe Thomas of the Browns, because many see him as the best LT in the NFL. Over a 5 year career he has started 68 games the same as Starks, however he has allowed only 19.75 sacks, been called for 17 false starts and 5 holding. As you can see Starks isnít the best in the league, but I think he is at best a huge improvement over the current O-line."

bornaSteelersfan
05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
The problem with Starks is that he is inconsistent. I think after his neck injury, he sat on the couch eating burgers and Twinkies. He showed up at Ben's wedding weighing around 400 lbs (grossly overweight for his size). He worked out for the Vikings and they didn't want him. Then we called him after Essex and Scott both got whipped like rented mules (Scott getting injured as well). We were desperate for some help and he was desperate for a job. Sure it worked out OK and he helped Gilbert along, but I think Gilbert is simply more talented and healthier (as well as driven). I don't see him on this team again with these draftees (unless there are some serious injuries). It reminds me of when we called the moving company a couple of years ago to get a long-snapper; Jared Retkofsky.

steelbelieve
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM

sorry. nope. I'll grant the obvious cost factor; but the only thing worse than Scott at tackle, is Scott at guard--and I'll take Starks on one and a half legs (and a decade older) over Scott with two healthy ones.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
sorry. nope. I'll grant the obvious cost factor; but the only thing worse than Scott at tackle, is Scott at guard--and I'll take Starks on one and a half legs (and a decade older) over Scott with two healthy ones.

Fine, that is your opinion and I have mine. After watching technique on the 2 over the past several years, I would have to say that Scott has better pad level, knee bend and quickness than Starks to play guard.

Funny how the masses forget that Jon Scott played admirably in place of Starks when he left in 2010 with a neck injury, on the way to winning the AFC title.

lloydwoodson
05-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Fine, that is your opinion and I have mine. After watching technique on the 2 over the past several years, I would have to say that Scott has better pad level, knee bend and quickness than Starks to play guard.

Funny how the masses forget that Jon Scott played admirably in place of Starks when he left in 2010 with a neck injury, on the way to winning the AFC title.

Scott couldn't have played admirably or I wouldn't have been so upset last year week 1 when he was the starting LT. If Scott was a better player than Starks he would not have lost his job to Starks. Mike Adams should be groomed for LT for one year- he has really good feet. Starks is a serviceable LT until Adams can take over. Gilbert is not a LT imo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Scott couldn't have played admirably or I wouldn't have been so upset last year week 1 when he was the starting LT. If Scott was a better player than Starks he would not have lost his job to Starks. Mike Adams should be groomed for LT for one year- he has really good feet. Starks is a serviceable LT until Adams can take over. Gilbert is not a LT imo.

Gilbert can plat LT better than Starks. Just watch and learn this year.

VaDave
05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Scott is under a $2 mil+ contract for 2012. Starks will play for the vet minimum. Scott will go to camp because Starks will miss the first couple of weeks. Once Starks is cleared, Scott will be cut.

Adams will not play much this year, unless Colon goes back on IR ( not a discounted possibility). IMO, Adams is basically a much younger version of Starks.

lloydwoodson
05-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Maybe we will find out. Hope you are right. I am skeptical.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
IMO, Adams is basically a much younger version of Starks.

Adams looks like a more fluid athlete than Starks. Lighter on his feet.

Maybe we will find out. Hope you are right. I am skeptical.

I was skeptical of Gilbert until I saw him in preseason game last year. Nice Kick slide, good footwork, keeps his shoulders square to the line and is a massive dude to handle rushers.

Only think I saw was he was high in his sets and got bulled when guys got under him, but that was corrected by later in the season. He's looking on track to be a young marvel Smith IMO.

TheVet
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Max Starks around for depth - deep depth. Obviously, Scott was the weakest link, but Starks is a big underachiever. Gotta have some heart.

Why is he undervalued?? Lets just say he is overvalued by the Steeler fans. He is valued appropriately by the NFL front offices and scouting community, as a guy with above average skill and size that combined below average motivation to become a career RT.

You nailed it 100%. Starks seems pretty good when you look around and there's absolutely nothing else. After the last five years, Steelers fans need to get their expectations back up to where they should be. Frankly, I'm incredulous that anyone could think that Starks is undervalued. An NFL-caliber O-line is coming, ready or not.

lloydwoodson
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Max Starks around for depth - deep depth. Obviously, Scott was the weakest link, but Starks is a big underachiever. Gotta have some heart.

You nailed it 100%. Starks seems pretty good when you look around and there's absolutely nothing else. After the last five years, Steelers fans need to get their expectations back up to where they should be. Frankly, I'm incredulous that anyone could think that Starks is undervalued. An NFL-caliber O-line is coming, ready or not.

Yes I think he is undervalued. He was released before the start of last season. That is a really low value assigned to him. He came back to start 12 games allowing 4.5 sacks including holding DPOY Suggs to 1 assisted tackle. He was 14th in the league amongst starting tackles in sacks allowed. It takes heart to be a starting player in any professional sport. There is no higher level of competition. How many years pro experience do you have to question someone's heart?

TheVet
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, that was a very low value assigned to him, and 31 other NFL teams seemed to agree. Lucky for him, the Steelers were down to only one legitimate, healthy OT, so there was an opening for a space filler.

How many years of NFL front office experience do you have that allows you to question the uniform assessment of all 32 NFL teams?

An NFL-caliber O-line is coming to Pittsburgh, ready or not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes, that was a very low value assigned to him, and 31 other NFL teams seemed to agree. Lucky for him, the Steelers were down to only one legitimate, healthy OT, so there was an opening for a space filler.

An NFL-caliber O-line is coming to Pittsburgh, ready or not.

I was hoping the Steelers were going to fill that space last year with McKinney instead of Starks.

I am ready for an NFL Caliber O line!! :tt04:

tanda10506
05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
I have pretty high expectations of Gilbert too, but Starks is better then most give him credit for. I don't know who would be better at Guard between Scott and Starks, but right now we have a second year guy moving position and a rookie who hasn't played a snap in the NFL. We can't afford for our backup tackles to be completely useless like Scott. If Adams and Gilbert have great years, and I think they will, then it won't really matter, but if they don't or if there are a lot of injuries we are going to need a good backup tackle.

TheVet
05-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Yes, we can always use depth. You never know what might happen. But hopefully Colon will stay healthy, and we do have some new blood with Adams. Hopefully we won't need to drop down too far for an extended period, but if we do, let's all hope for an upgrade over Starks. There are plenty of motivated, hungry young guys who are looking for a shot.

67 calsteel
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Max Stark on Friday told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune that he will not be ready for training camp.His new goal is the first week of the season>Also reported the the steelers have not contected him.

steelbelieve
05-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Unless Adams falls flat on his face, we may never know. Chances are, if healthy and willing to sign at vet minimum, they'll sign Starks to back up Adams at LT, and Gilbert will be building on last year's success at RT. Your man Scott had better hope Starks is either running with a big gimp or his agent is stupid enough to demand--anything.

Hawaii 5-0
05-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Max Stark on Friday told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune that he will not be ready for training camp.His new goal is the first week of the season>Also reported the the steelers have not contected him.

Max Starks Says He Has Yet To Hear From Steelers & Will Unlikely Be Ready By Camp

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

As much as I have been hoping and praying that Max Starks would be back in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform by week one of the 2012 season, it is seeming more and more unlikely to happen. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Saturday that he talked to the Steelers unrestricted free agent on Friday and that Starks told him that he has not had contact with management or anybody like that thus far, and that he does not see himself as being part of the starting left tackle battle that now reportedly consist of Jonathan Scott, Trai Essex and rookie Mike Adams.

While Starks has said over the last few months that the recovery from his surgery to repair a torn ACL that suffered in the Steelers loss in the AFC Wild Card game against the Denver Broncos was going well, he admitted to Kaboly that he would be pushing it to be ready by the time training camp rolls around. His goal is to be ready by week one and he has a follow-up visit with his surgeon soon to see just how far along he actually is. Starks did tell Kaboly that he would definitely be interested should the Steelers call him at some point and has said as much ever since the offseason started and he was out from underneath the knife.

So much for my praying an hoping. I admit it was a bit of a long shot to happen by training camp, but with the improvements that have been made over the years in ACL reconstruction and recovery, it was worth the notion. As it looks right now it will be the rookie Adams or the over payed Scott that will likely start the season in Denver against the Broncos as I just can't see Essex, weight loss and all, being a realistic option. Second year tackle Marcus Gilbert seems destined to remain at right tackle now where he best fits alongside rookie David DeCastro. The thought of Scott starting at left tackle makes me want to puke, but when you look at the current roster there are no other realistic options.

I would much rather Adams start if Starks is not going to be in the Steelers plans and let the second round pick out of Ohio State get his baptism by fire. At least he figures to have Willie Colon to his right as he makes the offseason transition now from right tackle to left guard. It would be better than Adams starting beside the jettisoned Chris Kemoeatu in my opinion.

Kaboly confirmed on Friday that both DeCastro and Adams will not be allowed to attend the OTA sessions this summer because of those wacky graduation requirements that Stanford and Ohio State have, so you can likely look forward to the Steelers offensive line from left to right next week to be Scott, Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Gilbert. Should that be the case it would likely cement for sure that Gilbert is staying put on the right side and that Scott will be around all summer long.

Now I hope and pray that Adams can become the left tackle that I think he can become only in a much shorter amount of time. Just in case I will continue to hope and pray that Starks recovery is complete by the time week two or three roll around. I will also hope and pray that Scott has mastered his ass blocking, just in case.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/max-starks-says-he-has-yet-to-hear-from-steelers-will-unlikely-be-ready-by-camp/

steelbelieve
05-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Max Starks Says He Has Yet To Hear From Steelers & Will Unlikely Be Ready By Camp

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

As much as I have been hoping and praying that Max Starks would be back in a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform by week one of the 2012 season, it is seeming more and more unlikely to happen. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Saturday that he talked to the Steelers unrestricted free agent on Friday and that Starks told him that he has not had contact with management or anybody like that thus far, and that he does not see himself as being part of the starting left tackle battle that now reportedly consist of Jonathan Scott, Trai Essex and rookie Mike Adams.

While Starks has said over the last few months that the recovery from his surgery to repair a torn ACL that suffered in the Steelers loss in the AFC Wild Card game against the Denver Broncos was going well, he admitted to Kaboly that he would be pushing it to be ready by the time training camp rolls around. His goal is to be ready by week one and he has a follow-up visit with his surgeon soon to see just how far along he actually is. Starks did tell Kaboly that he would definitely be interested should the Steelers call him at some point and has said as much ever since the offseason started and he was out from underneath the knife.

So much for my praying an hoping. I admit it was a bit of a long shot to happen by training camp, but with the improvements that have been made over the years in ACL reconstruction and recovery, it was worth the notion. As it looks right now it will be the rookie Adams or the over payed Scott that will likely start the season in Denver against the Broncos as I just can't see Essex, weight loss and all, being a realistic option. Second year tackle Marcus Gilbert seems destined to remain at right tackle now where he best fits alongside rookie David DeCastro. The thought of Scott starting at left tackle makes me want to puke, but when you look at the current roster there are no other realistic options.

I would much rather Adams start if Starks is not going to be in the Steelers plans and let the second round pick out of Ohio State get his baptism by fire. At least he figures to have Willie Colon to his right as he makes the offseason transition now from right tackle to left guard. It would be better than Adams starting beside the jettisoned Chris Kemoeatu in my opinion.

Kaboly confirmed on Friday that both DeCastro and Adams will not be allowed to attend the OTA sessions this summer because of those wacky graduation requirements that Stanford and Ohio State have, so you can likely look forward to the Steelers offensive line from left to right next week to be Scott, Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Gilbert. Should that be the case it would likely cement for sure that Gilbert is staying put on the right side and that Scott will be around all summer long.

Now I hope and pray that Adams can become the left tackle that I think he can become only in a much shorter amount of time. Just in case I will continue to hope and pray that Starks recovery is complete by the time week two or three roll around. I will also hope and pray that Scott has mastered his ass blocking, just in case.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/max-starks-says-he-has-yet-to-hear-from-steelers-will-unlikely-be-ready-by-camp/

There you go, Gonz, things are looking up for Mr.Scott.

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Max Starks hasnít heard from the Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/103734698_crop_650x440.jpg?w=250

Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who tore an ACL during the Steelersí playoff loss to the Broncos, is a free agent. And he has heard nothing from the only team with which he ever has played.

Or, presumably, any other team.

As to the Steelers, Starks isnít expecting the phone to ring. Mike Adams, Jonathan Scott, and Trai Essex are expected to vie for the left tackle position. ďAs for myself, I donít see [me being a part of that battle] unless there is something I donít know,Ē Starks told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Last year, the Steelers cut Starks as the real games approached. But they came calling a month into the season, and Starks started each of the remaining 12 regular-season games. This year, however, it wouldnít be as easy for Starks to step right in.

ďI would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,Ē Starks said. ďIt would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody. I have the mindset of rehabbing and make sure my knee is in the best possible shape and be ready to go when someone calls.Ē

Itís unknown whether anyone would want Starks if he were healthy. With offseason rosters increased from 80 to 90 this year, itís hard to imagine he wouldnít at least be in camp.

Due to the knee, he likely will have to continue to wait. With former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians now in Indianapolis, maybe the Colts will be the ones to eventually make the call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/19/max-starks-hasnt-heard-from-the-steelers/

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-20-2012, 01:36 AM
There you go, Gonz, things are looking up for Mr.Scott.

Scott isn't as bad as the haters think. It's like how the haters bashed Colon 5 yrs ago when he really performed good on tape. starks is injured and past his prime. The hopeful thinkbStarks is some kind of savior, when all he is really is a player of unfulfilled promise that got paid more than he deserved.

Steelersfan87
05-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Scott at left tackle makes Starks look like Anthony Munoz. About 25% of his total games started there perhaps could be afforded the label of competent. There is absolutely no question that an injured, underachieving, past his prime Starks as the third tackle would be a significant upgrade over Scott as the third tackle. Securing him to replace Scott would complete the Steelers' offensive line from 1-9.

tony hipchest
05-20-2012, 03:23 PM
“I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,” Starks said. “It would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody.

Max obviously hasnt seen the steelers new rosetta stone playbook, which ben contends may set the wr's back 2-3 years.

lloydwoodson
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Max obviously hasnt seen the steelers new rosetta stone playbook, which ben contends may set the wr's back 2-3 years.

I love that you are running with this. There are a lot of examples that it isn't rocket science learning a new playbook keep em coming. :chuckle:

TheVet
05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not worried about Max learning the playbook. I'm worried about a situation where we need to have Max learning the playbook.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm not worried about Max learning the playbook. I'm worried about a situation where we need to have Max learning the playbook.

Me too. :doh:

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Kevin Colbert Open To Bringing Back Max Starks When He Is Healthy

Thursday, June 14th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory mini-camp on Thursday and General Manager Kevin Colbert joined 105.9 The X afterwards to answer several questions.

One of the questions that Colbert was asked pertained to free agent tackle Max Starks, who continues to rehab his surgically repaired right knee after tearing his ACL in the AFC Wild Card Game against the Denver Broncos. Colbert was specifically asked if Starks was still considered as an option in 2012 as a backup. "Yeah, we've communicated with Max. He was in here about a month ago to get examined by our doctors," said Colbert. "He knows that it's a possibility that we could bring him back, and first and foremost for Max and his career, he has to make sure that he's healthy. And that was our message to him is 'Max, there's no hurry for you to come back and to do this right away. We can start and see where things go.' We'll continue to be in touch with him throughout the spring."

From the sound of things, Colbert and the coaching staff seem dead set on first seeing how things go with second round draft pick Mike Adams early on in training camp. Adams hit the field for the first time since rookie camp this week after missing all of the OTA sessions because of NFL rules that prevented him practicing until his school obligations were completed. The Steelers hope that the Ohio State product can win the starting left tackle spot outright.

Marcus Gilbert also had his share of reps with the first team over the course of the last four weeks just in case Adams does not pan out early on. Also receiving reps at left tackle the last month were Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex, but neither of the two would figure to be an option to be left side starters. At this point it continues to seem like it will be either Adams or Gilbert that will man the blindside of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Starks could possibly be an option to be signed a couple weeks into camp if he is healthy and cleared by the doctors. The former third round draft pick updated his status on Twitter Thursday to say that today was his first day working on cutting drills in cleats. He claims that he getting closer to being game ready. Will he be ready for the start of camp? Hard to say right now, but even if he was close, he could be signed and placed on the ACTIVE PUP list if he is on the roster before the start of camp. That scenario would at least allow him to learn the offense initially. The only problem with that idea is that players are not normally signed unless they are first cleared medically. Tight end Jake Ballard was an exception to the norm after being signed off waivers by the New England Patriots this past week despite having a long recovery ahead him.

Roethlisberger broke out the No. 78 jersey last Thursday in honor of Starks and said at that time he thinks his close friend and draft classmate was close to being healthy. The veteran signal caller was asked specifically about Starks being a potential emergency option at tackle this upcoming season. "I would think so," said Roethlisberger. "I think the question is is he healthy? And I think he is from what Iíve heard and from what Iíve seen from him. So I think he would be a guy that if we need to we could get him back."

So basically we know now that on top of Starks wanting to come back and Roethlisberger wanting him back, that Colbert is also open to bringing him back.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/kevin_colbert_open_to_bringing_back_max_starks_whe n_he_is_healthy/11016197