PDA

View Full Version : Whats your O line predictions for Game 1?

ebsteelers
05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
LT: GILBERT
LG: FOSTER?
C: POUNCEY
RG: DECASTRO
RT: COLON

ESSEX? LEGUrSKY main back ups ?

by the time super bowl rolls around
LT: ADAMS
LG: COLON
C: POUNCEY
RG: DECASTRO
RT: GIBERT

contributing back ups essex, legursky

whats the deal with max starks? and jon scott? prefer to not see scott on the field unless its in a blow out

trying to think if im missing anyone here

the o line is going to be the difference if were filet or rotted meat

TE:
MILLER
POPE
SAUNDERS probably moves to 2 after his suspension

PAUELSON sounds like an H Back

would like to see lyons contribute this year.. has the size to be a major threat in the red zone

hopefully dj isnt back this year.. not sure his contract stuff though

edit: found it
On April 11th 2012 the Steelers signed Johnson to a one-year, $1.26 million contract.

consider dj was a 7th round pick hes contributed a decent amount.... i guess

mikeyg
05-09-2012, 11:12 AM
i think your first scenario is most likely, with the OSU kid working in during the season....

Vis
05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I say Adams starts and the chips fall from there

Fire Arians
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
i think your first scenario is most likely, with the OSU kid working in during the season....

consistency on the line is huge. if adams doesn't start in the beginning of the season, he's not going to, barring injury.

with that said, he does have a chance of winning a starting job. pouncey did it his rookie season, there's no reason why adams can't.

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Pouncey was a first round pick, and Justin Hartwig was not only terrible, but injured. Adams has to beat out a second round pick that is actually good. It doesn't seem very likely that Adams is a day one starter. And I think that unless Gilbert or Colon get injured or struggle significantly, he probably won't start this year. He'll get some playing time most likely, but installing him into the lineup year one is not a necessity, so I wouldn't think the Steelers are in a rush. We'll see though. I think the OP's original starting 5 is probably the most likely scenario.

ebsteelers
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
fire line up with adams, essex, and legursky playing as back ups defintely is a pretty solid line up..

if adams comes in and plays like an all pro
and we get line up 2.

then our o line is slap your momma in the mouth good.. with 3 solid back ups .

Fire Arians
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Pouncey was a first round pick, and Justin Hartwig was not only terrible, but injured. Adams has to beat out a second round pick that is actually good. It doesn't seem very likely that Adams is a day one starter. And I think that unless Gilbert or Colon get injured or struggle significantly, he probably won't start this year. He'll get some playing time most likely, but installing him into the lineup year one is not a necessity, so I wouldn't think the Steelers are in a rush. We'll see though. I think the OP's original starting 5 is probably the most likely scenario.

true but colon has started 1 game in the last 2 years. I don't think it's unrealistic that he can win the RG spot over willie.

i know he probably wants to stay at LT, but if he's thrown an opportunity to play RT and win a starting job, he would be stupid not to jump at the chance. even though he's a 2nd rounder, he is regarded as 1st round talent. He has a chance is all I'm saying. Might not be the best chance, but he has a realistic one.

mikeyg
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
consistency on the line is huge. if adams doesn't start in the beginning of the season, he's not going to, barring injury.

with that said, he does have a chance of winning a starting job. pouncey did it his rookie season, there's no reason why adams can't.

consistency is overrated - see our 2 SB wins with patchwork lines!!!

kidding, sort of. i don't like 2 rooks week on on the OLINE - that is just my gut. Adams will have a chance to win the job from Colon, who i really think sucks. But a sucky veteran may be the better start than a 2nd rookie on that same line, week 1 in Sept

austinfrench76
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Week 1 - Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Colon

Changes, IMO, will happen due to injury, not performance.

Super Bowl - Adams, Decastro, Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert

Bound to be an injury. Just our luck. ALL guesses of course.

TheVet
05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Not a prediction, but a hope: Adams, ????, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert. I put the question marks in there because I'd rather see Colon provide needed depth at tackle, and I'd like to see someone else up and prove themselves at guard. I could equally well see DeCastro at LG.

I don't see why Adams can't compete for a starting position. Adams has first round talent, and Colon is only an average NFL starter - in my opinion, of course.

TheVet
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Around here, we're used to rookies spending a few years as backups before stepping into starting roles. That's because we generally have very solid teams. But if you look around the league, you'll see plenty of rookies getting their starting chances. If memory serves, it was only a few years ago that Dan Rooney commented on wanting to see rookies contribute earlier.

Well, the typical arguments against rookies starting don't apply when you discuss the Steelers OL. Its not just a weak link on the team; it's been well below the NFL standard for five years. This is a wonderful opportunity for Adams. All he needs to do is step up and seize it.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Typically the Steelers rookies of the past didnt need to start, as we were so deep, we had the lluxury of grooming them.

But when you have the likes of FOSTER,LEGURSKY, ESSEX and so on. The rookies are a step up. Minimally the rookies can do what the vets did last year and that is let Ben get killed, so anything in front of Ben is at least a marginal upgrade.

I say Adams will be starting day 1.

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
With Gilbert moving to RT and Colon moving to guard?

QCbeauBlak
05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I hear you guys but I don't want to get too excited too soon. I do agree that we are evolving more into breaking some of our old standards with young guys though. O-line is such a tough job that I could see maybe letting Adams work his way into the starting line up kind of like Gilbert did (I know Gilbert was thrust in mainly due to injuries). DeCastro might have to be a day one starter and I am cool with that. In a perfect world, we should be able to slowly transition all the new comers in but I don't know if we can at this point.

Also, expect improvement from some of our incumbents. Mike Tomlin loves the vets so I am just going to wait and see. It is almost a certainty that a couple of our draft picks won't pan out. It is sometimes surprising who the odd man out is too. Therefore, again, I will wait and see. But BOY am I excited about these young guys!! I just don't want to be crushed the way Gibson left me.

StainlessStill
05-09-2012, 11:25 PM
LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- Ramon Foster
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Willie Colon

Rotation: LT- Mike Adams; C-Doug Legursky, LG- Doug Legursky, RG- Trai Essex, RT- Mike Adams, Trai Essex

Hawaii 5-0
05-10-2012, 01:34 AM
LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- Ramon Foster
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Willie Colon

Rotation: LT- Mike Adams; C-Doug Legursky, LG- Doug Legursky, RG- Trai Essex, RT- Mike Adams, Trai Essex

the Steelers usually only dress 7 OL on game days so:

LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- Ramon Foster
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Willie Colon

Rotation: LT- Mike Adams/Jonathan Scott; C-Doug Legursky, LG- Doug Legursky, RG- Doug Legursky, RT- Mike Adams/Jonathan Scott

ebsteelers
05-10-2012, 02:57 PM
the Steelers usually only dress 7 OL on game days so:

LT- Marcus Gilbert
LG- Ramon Foster
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Willie Colon

Rotation: LT- Mike Adams/Jonathan Scott; C-Doug Legursky, LG- Doug Legursky, RG- Doug Legursky, RT- Mike Adams/Jonathan Scott

Essex should dress over scott

Hawaii 5-0
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Essex should dress over scott

I'm not crazy about Scott or Essux to tell you the truth, they are both human turnstiles.

I'm hoping Mike Adams plays well and beats them both out to dress on game days.

ricardisimo
05-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Left tackle is not a position where you want to throw in rookie and hope that he does well. Not only could you get Ben killed, but starting out poorly could destroy his confidence and set him back years. Adams can wait and learn.

Hawaii 5-0
05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Mike Adams needs to start as to not impede Marcus Gilbert’s development

May 10th, 2012

The Steelers drafted Marcus Gilbert last season to possibly be the future left tackle of the Pittsburgh Steelers. When the season started Gilbert was second string behind Jonathan Scott. The Steelers went with the veteran at Left Tackle. Gilbert was expected to be the swing tackle behind Scott and Colon.

Then Willie Colon went down with a season ending injury in game one against the Ravens. It forced Gilbert into the lineup to play Right Tackle. He played the entire season at Right Tackle and did not do a bad job. As the season went along Gilbert progressed and became a good right tackle. He seemed suited for the position.

Coming into the offseason though, the Steelers let Gilbert know that he should prepare to play Left Tackle next season. Willie Colon can not play the left side and god knows the Steelers will never put Jonathan Scott there ever again unless they have to. So Gilbert had to shift to that side. He played the position in college and is the best option we have at left tackle.

That was until we drafted Mike Adams. Adams is a prototypical sized left tackle. Adams is 6’7 and 325 pounds. He has long arms and can engulf a defender. Adams is what many teams salivate for when it comes to that type of player.

Adams should not have fallen to the second round. He was the second best left tackle prospect on my board. He had some issues with marijuana in college and at the combine. He also was involved in the Ohio State scandal and had to miss 5 games his senior year because of it. Add to that Adams has always had natural talent and would tend to get lazy at times and boom he ends up in the second round.

The Steelers could not have been more happy that he did. Adams was off the Steelers draft board after lying to the team about the drug use before the combine. He personally requested a meeting with the team. They did not seek him out. Adams came in genuinely apologetic and let the team know he would do anything to try to be a Steeler. The Steelers gave him some objectives to reach if he wanted back in. Adams reached those objectives and the Steelers decided he was worth the risk.

The Steelers had Adams rated as a first round prospect. He was a left tackle on their board and that is where he will practice this offseason. It was his position in college and it seems to be the one he is best suited for in the NFL. The Steelers are counting on Adams to get his head on straight. If he does and he gets the coaching he needs from Sean Kugler, which he will, then the team got a Pro Bowl type left tackle in the second round of the draft. It could not be more of a win.

So if Adams is the future at left tackle I think he also needs to be the present as well. It may cause some bumps and bruises at the beginning but the team will be better for it. Why is this? It is because Marcus Gilbert can stay on the right side and play the position he was meant to play. The line can grow together. They are all young and could grow up as a group. The more chemistry they get now the better they will be in 2013 and beyond.

To switch Gilbert to the left side for one season is ridiculous. He is a RIGHT TACKLE. That is what I had him pegged to be when he went into the draft and he proved last season that he can grow into a force at right tackle instead of an adequate left tackle. That is where he belongs. It is where he will be the better player.

That being said he is still developing. He still has plenty of room to grow. He is still getting down the technique and the footwork for the right side. To move him to the left side to learn those techniques all over again will only slow him down when you have to move him back next season. Adams will be the left tackle by 2013. If that is the case this will just put Gilbert a year behind. He will have to start all over again. He will have to learn a new position for a third time in 3 years. It will impede his development.

Many really good offensive linemen have tried to switch from the left side to the right side late in their careers to try and stay in the league and struggled. Why put this struggle on Gilbert? He proved where he belonged last season and he has the ability to stay there now with the addition of Adams. I do not care how much Willie Colon’s contract makes it so he has to be on this team. His contract doesn’t say he is better then Gilbert, nor does it say he has to start. When it was just Colon and Gilbert sure it made sense. Now it doesn’t.

This offensive line has the ability to be set in stone right now. Coach Kugler has already talked about how the team wants to get one offensive line out there all the time. He was forced to shift guys around in the past due to injuries and poor play. He now has the guys that he needs to build a strong offensive line. He is not going to want to have guys switch positions year in and year out. He wants stability. He wants to put these young guys in and get the ball rolling.

The Steelers offensive line should have Adams at LT, Pouncey at C, DeCastro at RG, and Gilbert at RT. Colon, Foster and Legursky can fight for the last spot on the line. But what your line is going to look like for the next 10 years is sitting right in front of you now. They can grow up with one another and dominate the line of scrimmage. Why slow that down and push it back a year or two. You can get the bumps and bruises out of the way now and dominate sooner rather then later.

Gilbert is the Right Tackle. Leave him be and let him and this group grow.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/10/mike-adams-needs-to-start-as-to-not-impede-marcus-gilberts-development/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

Steelersfan87
05-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm not a big fan of Bleed Black and Gold, and I disagree with this article as well. If Adams isn't ready and Gilbert is the better option in year one, then you play GIlbert there. This also leaves Colon with another year to avoid the 'guard question' and to play his natural position. I also place no value in this person's evaluative skills, pegging Gilbert as a right tackle. How is "that is where I pegged him" a strong supporting argument? All it does is show that his goal is to reinforce a previously held belief. Gilbert has the skills to excel at either tackle spot, as far as I or anybody else can tell. Obviously, long term, one assumes that Adams is projected as the left tackle. But part of Gilbert's value was also his flexibility, and if the line ends up being Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert, who do you think plays LT if Adams gets hurt long-term? They would move Gilbert there (unless perhaps they do re-sign Starks) and shift Colon back to RT.

His whole point about Gilbert's development is unfounded. He doesn't have to 'learn' anything. He already knows all the positions on the line except center. Putting him at LT for one year and moving him to RT in 2013 (if that even ends up being the case) will not constitute "learning a new position for the third time in 3 years". He also deliberately misinterprets Kugler's words about moving parts. Kugler has already said that Adams is not a finished product and has a lot to work on. Does that sound like a coach that sounds confident in a player's ability to start right away? Kugler is an intelligent person; he will want to put out the best 5 offensive linemen in 2012 out there in 2012 and wait for 2013 to worry about 2013. Now I remember why I stopped reading Bleed Black and Gold...

Of course if Adams is ready on day one then all of this goes out the window. It would be ridiculous to force the spot on him if he's not though out of some delusion about stunting progress.

Hawaii 5-0
05-11-2012, 12:19 AM
I agree that Mike Adams is not yet ready to start at LT, let him get in the weight room and learn from Kugler for awhile before throwing him in to protect Ben's blind side.

the starting OL for Game 1 will and should be: Gilbert - Foster or Legursky - Pouncey - DeCastro - Colon

the other two OL dressing on game days will be the loser of the Foster/Legursky battle and the winner of the Mike Adams/Jonathan Scott/Trai Essex battle.

pancake
05-11-2012, 04:11 AM
My Week one starting OL\

LT - Starks
LG- Decastro
C - Pouncey
RG- Colon
RT - Gilbert

Adams - Swing OT

I know Starks isn't on the team, but he is available.

Anyway, I would like this starting line.

Steelersfan87
05-11-2012, 04:18 AM
There's a difference between predictions and wishes.

TheVet
05-11-2012, 05:06 AM
I decided to upgrade my wish to a prediction: Adams at LT.

Right now the position is completely open. With Adams, there won't be a need to shoehorn Gilbert there. Let Gilbert continue his development at RT. Adams has a greater upside; lets get him where he belongs, into the fire. Colon can provide depth.

It's time to find some guys who are capable of being real NFL starters. This isn't an area where we have the luxury of freedom and flexibility.

MDSteel15
05-11-2012, 07:24 AM
LT Starks, LG DeCastro, Pouncey, RG Colon, RT Gilbert
Get them in and lets get this moving day 1!!!

I think the back ups will look like this:

T Adams, G Foster, C/G Legursky
and yes I know Starks isn't on the roster, YET....

ebsteelers
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
if we get starks back then
that line up is gravy baby

wonder if we will carry 2 or 3 linemen extra on game day

i know normally we carry 2 but with injury considers possibly

then again doug can play guard and center

with adams coming in at tackle if neccessary

having a brain fart how many totals can we dress on game day?

Hawaii 5-0
05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Talkin' Offensive Line: C Maurkice Pouncey Looks For Comeback in 2012, Chemistry is X Factor

by Neal Coolong on May 8, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3967625/GYI0062865881.jpg

Many have checked in with Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey recently, and most noted Pouncey's statement he's full recovered from off-season ankle surgery. While it's not fair to suggest Pouncey's ankle is entering into "Fred Taylor's Groin" territory as the most injured anatomical piece of any NFL player, it was hurt enough last season Pouncey wasn't as effective as he was in his rookie campaign.

Fact is, though, Pouncey will return to the field at 100 percent for the first time since he was a rookie. With a reload among his battery mates, just how much of the upcoming 2012 season rests on Pouncey's broad shoulders?

Questions You'll Hear:

Is rookie OT Mike Adams a left or a right tackle?

That question isn't usually answered in a comparison. If you're athletic, long and have good hand placement, they're going to work you on the left side. If you're a grinder, have a nasty streak and can move guys around, but don't have that high-level athleticism, you're a right tackle.

Adams is going to get every look possible at left tackle, but it isn't likely, right now, the team will alter plans to move away from second-year man Marcus Gilbert. A fellow second-round pick, Gilbert did a decent job at right tackle last season, and the team said they're going to move him to left this year. Odds are, they'll stick with that plan while Adams gets some work in practice. Keep in mind, Gilbert would not have started last season without the injury to Willie Colon in Week 1.

Is this the end of Max Starks?

With Starks' injury in the Steelers playoff loss at Denver, and the selection of Adams, it isn't likely he'll be added to the training camp roster (to put it mildly). As has been the story the entire offseason, the contract situation of WR Mike Wallace is the big unknown, and in this case, it would be a determining factor in the amount of cap space the team will have to sign players during or around camp.

Veteran OL Trai Essex was signed to provide experience at multiple positions, and the same argument could be made in bringing Starks back, provided he can pass a physical. Colon has missed pretty much all of the last two years with injury, so Starks will likely stay on standby in the event one of those infamous Steelers offensive linemen injuries crop up. Colon has been absent for so long, it's left some in the national media forgetting he was the starting RT in both 2010 and 2011 before the injuries occurred.

Where will DeCastro play?

I feel odds are strong...to quite strong...rookie OG David DeCastro will win one of the two starting guard positions. Schematically, playing either left or right guard really depends on the desire of the offense. Since most humans are right-handed, a guard with quickness and athleticism (read: Faneca, Alan) will play left because going from left to right is more natural. Your "pulling" guard, then, would be on the left side. That doesn't mean your right guard can't and doesn't pull (although sometimes it can). I don't know whether DeCastro is right or left handed, but the offensive scheme they used at Stanford had him pulling right to left from his right guard position quite a bit.

If he's more natural at right guard, logic would dictate that's where they'd use him. Plus, I see OG Doug Legursky as the better overall guard between he and Ramon Foster, or, at the very least, the more versatile. While Legursky has played left and right guard, he played left guard often last year in replacement of Chris Kemoeatu for a variety of physical and mental ailments.

DeCastro will probably play right guard simply because that's where he's going to be the most comfortable.

What happens with Jonathan Scott?

SteelerNation's favorite scapegoat...Mr. Scott will probably be, to start, the first back-up at left tackle, maybe even both left and right tackle. Tomlin spoke well of him after a spot start in Week 16 against St. Louis. Gilbert found the pine after a "less than professional" week of practice leading up to that game. Scott's $2 million and change cap hit may not be the most desirable for a back-up tackle, but with the amount of injuries the Steelers offensive line has taken over the last few years, they can't be too careful.

Point to Remember in 2012

Willie Colon was one of the better right tackles in football in 2009. He was on his way to becoming consistently one of the best in the game. An Achilles rupture and a triceps tear have bumped him to the back of the line, but do you realize, if he is able to come back to form (certainly not impossible), the Steelers will have a healthy Colon and Pouncey (All Pro when healthy) joining the best guard prospect in the last decade (DeCastro), along with a young tackle who played well as a rookie (Gilbert) and an experienced and athletic run-blocking guard (Legursky).

No positional unit in the NFL improved more through the draft and in the offseason than the Steelers' offensive line has.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/8/3006718/steelers-2012-offensive-line-analysis-david-decastro-maurkice-pouncey-marcus-gilbert-willie-colon

Steelerfreak58
05-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I think Starks is gonna surprise some people. We were lucky to have him last year he did a hell of a job for the team. I think he is gonna come into camp and take back his position if given half a chance.

Sitting Adams a year and letting him learn wouldn't harm the team not to mention he would be playing "back up" and from what we have seen that means he will start out of the gate! LOL

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Top 10 Position Battles to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp

By Nick DeWitt (Featured Columnist) on May 15, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/229/213/143822058_display_image.jpg?1337125264

Backup Offensive Tackle Combatants

Jonathan Scott, Chris Scott, Trevis Turner, Mike Adams

Analysis

I won't put Trai Essex here because he's also a guard and center, so I think he's most valuable on the inside of the line. He could slot in here, so the team may keep one less of these guys if they think he can fill the role too.

Jonathan Scott has starting experience, but the tape isn't pretty. The worst was his excuse me job on Dwight Freeney last season, when he basically backed away from engaging in a block with him. Chris Scott has little experience, but he has potential. Turner looks like a camp guy. Adams was the second-round surprise in this year's draft.

Adams is almost a lock unless he comes to camp and does an impression of Jamain Stephens. That's not likely.

Winner(s)

Assuming two spots, I would take Adams and Chris Scott. Scott can play multiple spots—a valuable skill on this team. I think the Jonathan Scott show has run its course. Last year, the team had to sign a player to replace him in the lineup. Now they can just cut him loose.

If only one spot is available, take Adams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1184805-top-10-position-battles-to-watch-in-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp/page/7

lloydwoodson
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
My Week one starting OL\

LT - Starks
LG- Decastro
C - Pouncey
RG- Colon
RT - Gilbert

Adams - Swing OT

I know Starks isn't on the team, but he is available.

Anyway, I would like this starting line.

Agree %100.

Steeldude
05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
This is what I guess the Steelers will employ for game 1:

LT - Gilbert
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Colon

Fire Arians
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
This is what I guess the Steelers will employ for game 1:

LT - Gilbert
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Colon

most likely scenario. im still hoping adams can make some noise in training camp though.

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Three Training Camp Battles to Watch

Thomas Cooper, Yahoo! Contributor Network
May 15, 2012ment

The free agency period is dwindling down and the NFL draft has passed. Most NFL teams have made the bulk of their moves although some will add players to cover injuries and to improve competition and roster depth. Teams will move into offseason training and the opening of many training camps will begin in late July. It is time to take a look at the top three position battles for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Offensive Guard. The offensive guard battle may be a battle in name only. David DeCastro was selected in the first round of the 2012 NFL draft and is believed to be an instant upgrade at the guard position. The question is will DeCastro play right or left guard and who will secure the other spot. Ramon Foster, the starter at right guard for most of 2011, is the early favorite. Doug Legursky, a versatile interior player, will be in the mix. Trai Essex returned to the team after a dramatic off season where he cut weight and reshaped his body. He is an unknown commodity at this point, but he should have improved mobility and could be a startling surprise.

Cornerback. Ike Taylor will remain a starter but William Gay has departed to Arizona, opening a roster spot for competition. The early edge in this battle goes to fourth year veteran Keenan Lewis, but he will feel some pressure from a pair of second year guys. Curtis Brown, a 2011 third round selection, offers good ball skills and is a physical player that impressed the coaching staff with his willingness to play on special teams. Cortez Allen, a 2011 fourth round selection, stepped in last season when needed and played well.

Offensive Tackle. The tackle position is similar to the issue at guard. The Steelers have Marcus Gilbert returning and he should start at one tackle position. He is being groomed for the left tackle spot, but the Steelers also added Mike Adams in the second round of the 2012 NFL draft. Some consider Adams the second most athletic left tackle in the 2012 draft class. On the right side, Willie Colon is returning from a season ending injury, his second season ending injury in the past two seasons. It is a three man race for two positions and even though Adams is a rookie, the lack of depth at the position means he will be thrown into the fire in training camp.

http://voices.yahoo.com/pittsburgh-steelers-three-training-camp-battles-to-11326228.html?cat=14

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I predict Willie Colon will be moved to left guard...:applaudit: :tt03:

Gilbert – Colon – Pouncey - DeCastro – Adams

pancake
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I think they keep Gilbert on the right side and go to camp with Adams on the left. I think Adams has a higher ceiling than Gilbert. I also think as soon as Starks is healthy, he is brought in and Scott is shown the door...

Starks/Adams - Colon - Pouncey - Decastro - Gilbert

My hope that Adams shows why many considered him the 2nd best LT product in the draft.

steelerchad
05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
I think they keep Gilbert on the right side and go to camp with Adams on the left. I think Adams has a higher ceiling than Gilbert. I also think as soon as Starks is healthy, he is brought in and Scott is shown the door...

Starks/Adams - Colon - Pouncey - Decastro - Gilbert

My hope that Adams shows why many considered him the 2nd best LT product in the draft.

This would be our strongest line combination imo.

ebsteelers
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
looks like its gonna be option 2 it seems.

with adams or starks left tackle

i like it

vindrow
05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Gilbert - Colon - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams/Scott

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Did I miss something?? did Starks sign a contract with the team that I missed??

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Did I miss something?? did Starks sign a contract with the team that I missed??

nope, just all speculation

Hawaii 5-0
05-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Retooled Steelers line starts to emerge

May 17, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It appears the Steelers won't wait long for their top two draft picks to work their way into the starting lineup because they've already moved Willie Colon from starting right tackle to starting left guard.

"I've made the transition to left guard," Colon told Mike Prisuta in an interview that appeared on Steelers.com Live@4 on Wednesday. "I like it. It's just a matter of learning the verbiage."

The move from right tackle possibly opens things up for their top two draft choices to start immediately. First-round draft pick David DeCastro will be put at right guard. Second-round draft pick Mike Adams will play left or right tackle. Marcus Gilbert, who started at right tackle last year as a rookie after Colon was injured in the opener, was scheduled to move to left tackle, and that still could happen, based on where they put Adams initially.

Another possibility would be for Jonathan Scott to start at one of the tackles if they do not believe Adams is ready.

Colon told Prisuta the coaches called him right after the draft to tell him about the switch.

"My only issue would have been 'don't move me midway through camp.' "

The Steelers long have used their left guard to pull, and DeCastro is known as an excellent pulling guard. He played his entire college career on the right side, however, and it looks as if the Steelers will keep him there.

"You should expect both of us pulling," Colon said in the interview. "I think we're going to be a lot more balanced."

Colon long has been rumored to be a good candidate to play guard, even though he became the starting right tackle in 2007.

He started at right tackle for three years, but missed the '10 season after his achilles ruptured in June, then missed the rest of the '11 season after his triceps was torn in the opener.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/retooled-steelers-line-starts-to-emerge-636270/

67 calsteel
05-18-2012, 07:37 PM
love the idea of both guards pull.No more teams now which way we are going to run.Could we actually be able to run a trap play.Got to the new OC!

Hawaii 5-0
05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Too Soon to Be Certain About The Steelers O-Line

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 by Jeremy Hritz

The pressure is now on Mike Adams.

With the most recent piece of breaking news regarding the Steelers’ offensive line, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer Ed Bouchette reported that according to a source close to the organization that the rookie from Ohio State will be given the opportunity from the outset to man the left tackle position, a pretty heavy lift for a rookie accompanied by a bit of baggage.

Now, heading into camp, a clear picture of who will play where has come into better focus, at least for the time being, as it has yet to be determined whether or not the rookies who will now assume starting roles will be able to learn Todd Haley’s comet of a playbook.

Regardless, one thing is unquestionable: there will be a great deal of pressure on this group to perform. With all of the quarterback sacks surrendered at the hands of the likes of Jonathan Scott and company, there has been a palpable amount of pressure on the Steelers organization to put together an offensive line competent and capable enough of protecting Ben Roethlisberger and providing running lanes to improve what has been a lame ground game. Over the past two years, the Steelers have done just that in drafting Maurkice Pouncey in the first round in 2010 and Marcus Gilbert in the second round in 2011. And this year, they elevated their commitment by selecting what many consider to be stud offensive linemen in David DeCastro and Adams. Throw in one Willie Colon at left guard and the result, at least on paper, is what can be a solid if not elite offensive line. But championships, as former Steelers’ safety Lee Flowers would probably tell you, are not won on paper.

There are many questions yet to be answered about whether or not the 2012 version of the Steelers offensive line can live up to its billing outside of the predictable ones such as can Adams and DeCastro being able to step in and meet the Mike Tomlin standard?

And what about Colon? Will his transition to left guard be as smooth as media and fans believe it will be, as playing an interior line position is much different from being on an island at tackle? Additionally, the questions regarding his durability will not dissipate until he proves that he can make it through a season, or even a game without injury. The same questions are there for All-Pro center Pouncey who in his first two years has struggled with high ankle sprains. Will the ankle issues hinder him again in 2012?

If all of the players can stay healthy, it will go a long way in at least providing for opportunities for the offensive line to gel and gain some consistency. Yet the other question to consider is whether or not there will be chemistry between the starting five, and if Pouncey and Colon can provide the leadership necessary for this line to develop.

With the luck that the Steelers have had with the offensive line over the last several years, it appears that the unit could be on the precipice of a major improvement. However, until all of the players line up and mix it up in camp and in the preseason, it is difficult to accurately predict how things will actually play out. At least going into 2012, there is optimism surrounding the offensive line, which is something that has been missing since the early part of Roethlisberger’s career.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/too-soon-to-be-certain-about-the-steelers-o-line/

Hawaii 5-0
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM
The Overhaul of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Offensive Line

May 21, 2012 By Ed Smallwood

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/Ben-sacked1-450x304.jpg

A sight that has been way too familiar in Pittsburgh.

For as good as the Pittsburgh Steelers have been over the past 20 years, it’s difficult to recall a time when they had a good offensive line. The teams of the mid-1990′s had several good pieces in C Dirt Dawson and T’s John Jackson and Leon Searcy, but it is not a stretch to argue that the Steelers have had among the worst group of talent on the offensive line of any team in football the past decade. It’s a major credit to the defense and offensive skill position personnel that these three groups of OL have made Super Bowls:

Alan Faneca, you've been missed.

2005: Marvel Smith-Alan Faneca-Jeff Hartings-Kendall Simmons-Max Starks

This group actually wasn’t terrible (at least compared to what came later), although both Faneca and especially Hartings were nearing the end and the rest of the guys on that line with the exception of Smith were journeymen.

2008: Max Starks-Chris Kemoeatu-Justin Hartwig-Darnell Stapleton-Willie Colon

I mean, really. How did THIS offensive line win a Super Bowl?

2010: Jonathan Scott-Chris Kemoeatu-Maurkice Pouncey-Ramon Foster-Flozell Adams

Pouncey is the best offensive lineman the Steelers have had since Dirt Dawson’s prime, but the rest of this thing is a mess. Other than Foster, who figures to be backup on the 2012 Steelers, none of the remainder of this line is currently on an NFL roster only 16 months after Super Bowl XLV.

The 2011 line was a disaster from training camp. Max Starks was cut because he was expensive and fat, Flozell Adams went back into retirement, and Willie Colon broke three quarters into the season in the Opening Day debacle in Baltimore. The line shuffled all season, with Starks ultimately being resigned to play LT, rookie Marcus Gilbert playing RT, and some combination of Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, Chris Kemeoatu, and Trai Essex playing G. The results were as bad as that collection would suggest that they would be. Steelers’ QB’s were sacked 42 times, including one of Ben Roethlisberger late in the first half of the Cleveland game that resulting in a high-ankle sprain that in many ways ended the Steelers’ season. The running game struggled to find consistency, and although the Steelers were a middle-of-the-pack running team (14th in the NFL), they could not run the ball late in games, and the Steelers had a RB crack 70 yards in only 5 games all season.

Your starting RG for the next, oh, decade, David DeCastro.

The 2012 Steelers’ offensive line, however, is going to be very, very different. Starks and Kemoeatu are gone, Willie Colon has been moved to guard, and the Steelers invested their top two picks in the 2012 draft in G David DeCastro and T Mike Adams. DeCastro has been described as the best OG prospect in a decade, and the Steelers were simply giddy to see him slide down to #24 in the draft. DeCastro will start at RG from day one and will team with Pouncey to give the Steelers a great core in the interior line. Gilbert, who was thrust into the starting lineup in Week 2 after Colon went down for the season, improved as the year went on and became a solid pass blocker by season’s end.

I would expect Week One’s starting OL (barring injury) to look like this:

Jonathan Scott-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

The backups will be Adams, Foster, Legursky, and Essex.

Adams, of course, is the wild card in this equation. A first-round talent with all of the tools to be a very good LT, Adams slipped to the 2nd round because of inconsistent play his senior year at Ohio State and character questions that included a failed drug test. The Steelers desperately hope that he will supplant Scott and be the LT this season (and for the next decade), as the team did not move Colon inside to free up a spot for Scott to start. Colon is being paid way too much money to be a backup, so the team certainly expects him to beat out Foster to be the LG. Colon is athletic and a good run blocker, and he certainly has the potential to be a very good OG. Colon, however, has not played the position in the NFL and has missed all but 3 quarters of the past 2 seasons with a torn Achilles and torn tricep, respectively.

The 2012 Steelers’ offense is going to look a lot different than it did in 2011. Bruce Arians was “retired” as the offensive coordinator and replaced by Todd Haley, a move that should inject life into an offense that was 21st in the NFL in scoring last season (provided that Roethlisberger can find the time to learn the playbook between sobbing over losing Arians). RB Rashard Mendenhall is not expected to be ready to start the season after tearing his ACL in Week 17, thus Isaac Redman figures to be the feature back, at least at the start of the year. Haley and Redman will have the benefit of a new, and almost certainly improved offensive line.

Once Adams assumes the LT position, the Steelers OL will have two #1 picks, two #2 picks, and Colon. No excuses remain.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/the_overhaul_of_the_pittsburgh_steelers_offensive_ line/10839218

Fire Arians
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
^ There is NO way scott will be the starting LT again. if Adams doesn't show he's ready early in training camp, gilbert will swing to the left.

TheVet
05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
A side thought: We can handle one weak link on the OL!

First of all, this might not happen. It's a bizarre concept when thinking about the Steelers OL, but we might actually have a truly scary starting OL, or at least a solid one, without a big weak link in the normal sense. But even if we allow ourselves to count our chickens (DeCastro turns out to be a crusher, Colon makes the transition and stays solid, Gilbert continues to develop, Adams shows he's a starting OT), injuries could still put us put us in the situation where we've got a big problem - e.g., Jonathan Scott starting for awhile.

The good news is - We can handle it!

The X-factor is that we've now filled our five-year vacancy at OC, and presumably we'll see well-designed offensive schemes that take player strengths and weaknesses into account, as seen with other NFL teams. With intelligent play selection, and an NFL-caliber OL with personnel capable of holding their own and even pitching in to cover a weakness, we're going to have the redundancy needed to ride out the inevitable problems.

Fire Arians
05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
A side thought: We can handle one weak link on the OL!

First of all, this might not happen. It's a bizarre concept when thinking about the Steelers OL, but we might actually have a truly scary starting OL, or at least a solid one, without a big weak link in the normal sense. But even if we allow ourselves to count our chickens (DeCastro turns out to be a crusher, Colon makes the transition and stays solid, Gilbert continues to develop, Adams shows he's a starting OT), injuries could still put us put us in the situation where we've got a big problem - e.g., Jonathan Scott starting for awhile.

The good news is - We can handle it!

The X-factor is that we've now filled our five-year vacancy at OC, and presumably we'll see well-designed offensive schemes that take player strengths and weaknesses into account, as seen with other NFL teams. With intelligent play selection, and an NFL-caliber OL with personnel capable of holding their own and even pitching in to cover a weakness, we're going to have the redundancy needed to ride out the inevitable problems.

If anything, Essex will beat Scott for the starting LT position. Scott is beyond what you would call a weak link, he's just nonexistant. Dude did nothing but get abused by Terrell Sucks and Dwight Freeney. Then he gets ouplayed by miles by starks, who didn't even attend training camp.

if adams isn't ready for LT then gilbert will most likely swing to left tackle. They will not have rollerskates scott protecting ben's blind side, unless we're planning to draft a franchise qb in the first round of next year because we just ended our current one's career

TheVet
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree with everything you say about Scott, but unfortunately, I think that Essex is just as bad. Guys run right by him, virtually untouched, and he turns around to watch. The play has passed him, and he'll be standing there, taking a few steps this way, then a few steps that way. He kind of looks like a guy wandering around his house, trying to remember where he left his cellphone.

But remember, last year we had a few of these guys out there at the same time, and a vacancy at OC. Our floor is going to be a lot higher.

:tt:

Hawaii 5-0
05-21-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree with everything you say about Scott, but unfortunately, I think that Essex is just as bad.

http://r0.sgsr.us/imgs/250/b5108.gif

steve314
05-22-2012, 05:31 AM
4 sacks

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Ed: Essex Believes Adams Can Step In

THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Trai Essex is running No. 1 at left tackle in minicamp, but he expects rookie Mike Adams to make his contribution quickly when he finally gets to report sometime in June.

Adams, the second-round draft choice, is ticketed to play at left tackle and many expect him to start. Even Essex, who has been a good utility offensive lineman with the Steelers, expects it.

“We had a lockout last year, and we had three or four rookie quarterbacks come in and tear up the NFL,’’ he told the PG’s Ray Fittipaldo Wednesday. “There aren’t any rookies anymore. If you get drafted that high there are expectations. It’s a business. You have to be ready to go.

“He is a rookie, so he will get some slack, but not much because there are no redshirts in the NFL. Guys are expected to contribute right away.”

Left tackle Essex’s natural position but he has not played much of it with the Steelers. He opened last season as the starting right guard, where he became the starter during the 2010 season. He started 18 consecutive games at right guard until an ankle injury kept him out of four games last season. He returned to start two more but then lost his job to Ramon Foster.

Essex resigned as a free agent this year and will back up the entire length of the line, including center if need be.

But now, “I was told my focus will be strictly on tackle, particularly left tackle. Because Ramon getting hurt, I’m getting some guard work.”

Essex is looking forward to seeing Adams in practice.

“They’ll give him an opportunity to come in and see what he has to do just because he hasn’t been here. They want to see what they invested a second round pick in. As a vet, I understand that. I won’t take it personal if he jumps the depth chart when he gets here. I understand how things work. I don’t catch feelings. The most I can do is give my hardest and show them I want to play, I want to start as well.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116482-ed-essex-believes-adams-can-step-in

teegre
05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
LT Mike Adams
I see Kugler working his magic. Adams was hot & cold at OSU; Kugler will keep him hot. As far as Gilbert at LT, the Steelers have stated that Adams IS the future at LT. Ergo, it makes little sense to switch Gilbert to LT....only to move him back to RT. I say let Adams start...trial by fire...and by week 9, he'll be darn good.

LG The Colon
I have always felt that he'd make a good OG. At OT, he was slow & short, and in turn, had to false start out of necessity. At OG, he won't need quick lateral movement....and he'll flourish.

OC Maurkice Pouncey
Duh.

RG DD
He will dominate from day one.

RT Marcus Gilbert
I'm excited to see how much he develops in his second year.

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 01:48 AM
There’s no counting out Steelers lineman Foster

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Friday, June 15, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=MaBaK zdUxpOex1LA9bIhus$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuzOQ1W8hsnBC6 $w6orX24DWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Rookie first-round pick David DeCastro has all but been anointed the Steelers’ starting right guard of not only the future but also the present.

Forgive Ramon Foster while he yawns.

If there is one thing Foster has grown accustomed to, it’s that he’s constantly being overlooked. But he has consistently proven the organization wrong.

“At this point, it is my nature to not let it bother me,” Foster said. “If something good happens for me, and I earn something, that’s OK with me. If a certain situation arises for me that is against me, I am going to fight for it. It’s my mentality.”

Foster was an undrafted rookie free agent who had little to no chance to make the team three years ago. He not only made the team, but he also played in 14 games, starting the final three.

The following year, Foster was in a training camp battle for a roster spot with third-round pick Kraig Urbik. Foster won and started the final 11 games, including Super Bowl XLV.

Still, there was plenty of doubt.

Foster found himself on the outside looking in during training camp last year while Doug Legursky, Chris Scott, Tony Hills and Trai Essex got shots to nail down a starting guard spot before him. Legursky was awarded the job before Foster was given a shot.

“You just have to keep fighting, and that’s what I did,” Foster said.

Foster replaced an injured Legursky during Week 3 and started the final 14 games at right guard, including the wild-card playoff loss to Denver.

Now, despite DeCastro being billed as the next great lineman in Steelers’ history, Foster ran with the first team at right guard throughout minicamp, not DeCastro.

“He has been fighting ever since he stepped foot in this locker room,” veteran lineman Willie Colon said. “I won’t count him out of being a starter at all. I think you would have to be a fool to count Ramon out of anything.”

But Foster knows the reality of the situation.

The Steelers didn’t use their first-round pick so a player can sit behind an undrafted player. Foster knows DeCastro will get the first crack of winning the starting right guard spot during training camp, but the 6-foot-6, 325-pounder has been through that before.

“I am just worried about what I do,” Foster said. “If I worried about what they are doing, then I mess myself up.”

Foster has 28 career starts, 23 at right guard over the past 26 games.

According to Pro Football Focus, Foster allowed three sacks, 16 hurries and one quarterback hit, making him the team’s second-most consistent offensive lineman behind Colon, who played only one game before being lost for the year with an injury.

“Ramon works extremely hard and is a real humble guy,” Colon said. “I have a lot of respect for him.”

The Steelers showed some loyalty to Foster when they offered him a restricted free agent tender of $1.26 million during the offseason. After getting some outside interest, Foster signed with the Steelers. He will become an unrestricted free agent next year.

“They definitely have some confidence in me,” Foster said. “It is one of those things when you get a first-rounder … we will see how it plays out, but I am not giving up, no way. It would have to be something catastrophic for me to just bow down and let him have it.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1991982-85/foster-guard-steelers-decastro-ramon-david-legursky-lineman-pick-round

TheVet
06-15-2012, 05:05 AM
Every time I hear the name Foster, I remember him standing there in the Ravens game with that live ball fumble laying at his feet. All he needed to do was bend over and pick it up. He looked at it for a bit, then turned and walked away, and then some Raven swooped in and took it to the endzone. Agonizing.

I'd like my starting guard to be a guy who will fall on a loose ball so my in-laws don't call me up laughing about how they hasn't seen something like that since junior high school. Actually, I'd like my backups to fall on loose balls too.

Seriously, phone calls like that aren't any fun.

Steeldude
06-15-2012, 06:19 AM
I didn't expect the Steelers to wise up and listen to us couch QBs by moving Colon to G :chuckle:

LT - Scott (Adams)
LT - Colon
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Gilbert

Scott at LT is scary

TheVet
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm going with the obvious:

LT - Adams
LT - Colon
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Gilbert

Please Adams, show us that you're the player we're all hoping you are!

It's a nice starting OL. The interesting question will be how to go about building some higher-quality depth. Injuries are inevitable, and there's a big drop-off in talent after the starters. We can't accommodate multiple injuries, especially at tackle. At guard, we can at least put together a patchwork of journeymen.

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Scott at LT is scary

which is why a lot of Steeler fans are still holding out hope for Max Starks to be re-signed...

TheVet
06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Yep, Starks does fall into the gap between our starting tackles and our backups. He could be a good fill-in, but it would be so nice to have a younger player in that role. Even before his injury, we've seen the inevitable decline of aging. A lot depends on whether he can get into camp and learn enough for the new offense.

But this is such a great problem to have, compared to where we've been the past five years!

Steelersfan87
06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Every time I hear the name Foster, I remember him standing there in the Ravens game with that live ball fumble laying at his feet. All he needed to do was bend over and pick it up. He looked at it for a bit, then turned and walked away, and then some Raven swooped in and took it to the endzone. Agonizing.

I'd like my starting guard to be a guy who will fall on a loose ball so my in-laws don't call me up laughing about how they hasn't seen something like that since junior high school. Actually, I'd like my backups to fall on loose balls too.

Seriously, phone calls like that aren't any fun.

Wow, that's rather unfair, don't you think? That's like remembering Leon Lett for falling on the ball when he's a multiple time Pro Bowler.

TheVet
06-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Wow, that's rather unfair, don't you think?
Fair or not, it's first thing that comes to my mind. If you remember the film, the view is from the back, and there's a big guy with FOSTER written on the jersey, and he's just standing there, standing there, with the ball laying at his feet. Given that the play would have been embarrassing in junior high, the image does make a lasting impression.
That's like remembering Leon Lett for falling on the ball when he's a multiple time Pro Bowler.
Yes, it's just like that except that Foster was a weak link in a bottom tier line, and Lett is a Pro Bowler. But I see that you do remember Leon Lett for that howler play. Is that "unfair"?

Steelersfan87
06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Ramon Foster has been one of the more consistent linemen for the Steelers over the past couple seasons, and he's only gotten better over time, even beginning to successfully pull to the left toward season's end last year. I would argue that he was the team's second best lineman behind Pouncey last year.

MasterOfPuppets
06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Fair or not, it's first thing that comes to my mind. If you remember the film, the view is from the back, and there's a big guy with FOSTER written on the jersey, and he's just standing there, standing there, with the ball laying at his feet. Given that the play would have been embarrassing in junior high, the image does make a lasting impression.

Yes, it's just like that except that Foster was a weak link in a bottom tier line, and Lett is a Pro Bowler. But I see that you do remember Leon Lett for that howler play. Is that "unfair"?
oh give me a break ...there was also 20 other players that thought it was an incomplete pass and 3 ravens players within a few feet of the ball who didn't go after it. . even tomlin threw the red flag thinking it was an incomplete...

t8oSKyZecEM

TheVet
06-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Ramon Foster has been one of the more consistent linemen for the Steelers over the past couple seasons, and he's only gotten better over time, even beginning to successfully pull to the left toward season's end last year. I would argue that he was the team's second best lineman behind Pouncey last year.

He's' not the worst, but he's below the line for an NFL-caliber OL. Consistency isn't always a virtue.
oh give me a break ...there was also 20 other players that thought it was an incomplete pass and 3 ravens players within a few feet of the ball who didn't go after it. . even tomlin threw the red flag thinking it was an incomplete...

Foster was the one standing with the ball at his feet. Unfortunately, it's the most notable play of his career. And tossing the red flag would be automatic, as you undoubtedly (hopefully?) know.

MasterOfPuppets
06-16-2012, 11:49 PM
He's' not the worst, but he's below the line for an NFL-caliber OL. Consistency isn't always a virtue.

Foster was the one standing with the ball at his feet. Unfortunately, it's the most notable play of his career. And tossing the red flag would be automatic, as you undoubtedly (hopefully?) know.
so because he was the steeler that happened to get in the closest after it hit the ground , its some how his fault the ravens recovered ? the other 10 guys get a pass including ben who would know best if he fumbled or not ?
since when is throwing the red flag, "automatic" ? :noidea:

TheVet
06-17-2012, 01:22 AM
so because he was the steeler that happened to get in the closest after it hit the ground , its some how his fault the ravens recovered ? the other 10 guys get a pass including ben who would know best if he fumbled or not ?

He was the guy with the ball laying at his feet. Sorry if I forgot to mention that, but there's a video available if you haven't seen it.

since when is throwing the red flag, "automatic" ? :noidea:
:doh:

Under the assumption that you're not just trolling, there's not a coach in the league that wouldn't automatically throw that red flag given the situation. Of course Tomlin threw the flag.

Steelersfan87
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM

I disagree. He's been a pretty good guard that has continually improved while maintaining a level of consistency in his performance. He did a great job last year with help between Pouncey and Gilbert. If he played on a better line, he would be even better. I was perfectly fine with going into the season with a line that consisted of Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon. Now Foster is a great asset as a versatile backup with instant starter capability. I just hope that he doesn't take the demotion to heart and continues to develop his skills. He was just flashing pull ability late in the season. I kind of hope they give him some reps at tackle to increase his versatility.

ricardisimo
06-17-2012, 03:32 AM
He was the guy with the ball laying at his feet. Sorry if I forgot to mention that, but there's a video available if you haven't seen it.

Under the assumption that you're not just trolling, there's not a coach in the league that wouldn't automatically throw that red flag given the situation. Of course Tomlin threw the flag.
Firstly, what does being closest have to do with anything? Depending on the situation, that might make him the least likely to even see that the ball is there, let alone how it got there. MoP is right: Ben - if anyone - should have seen what happened to the ball and acted accordingly.

Secondly, only numbskulls like Norv Turner or Pete Carroll challenge just to challenge, or just to make their guys feel good, or just to throw a tantrum. Most coaches challenge because they think they'll succeed. Or are we all missing something? :huh:

Thirdly, tone down the sarcasm and pull back the claws if you hope to make some good friends on these boards.

MasterOfPuppets
06-17-2012, 12:00 PM

oh you mean the video i posted in post #64 ? ...no i haven't seen it ....:doh:

like i said , there were 10 other steelers and 10 ratbirds that treated the play like an incomplete pass and a dead ball. , so to single out just one guy is just ridiculous.
infact if you watch #92 for the ravens , he watches the sack happen , starts to go after the ball , then stops. most likely because NOBODY else reacted.

Steeldude
06-17-2012, 09:20 PM

I find Foster to be better than Kemo. Foster was one of the better lineman last year.

Were any other Steelers reacting to the ball? If I remember correctly only 2 players out of the 22 on the field reacted.

TheVet
06-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Firstly, what does being closest have to do with anything? Depending on the situation, that might make him the least likely to even see that the ball is there, let alone how it got there. MoP is right: Ben - if anyone - should have seen what happened to the ball and acted accordingly.

The ball came to rest at his feet. He was the guy who could have bent over and picked it up. Agreed that others could have run over as well - no whistle.

Secondly, only numbskulls like Norv Turner or Pete Carroll challenge just to challenge, or just to make their guys feel good, or just to throw a tantrum. Most coaches challenge because they think they'll succeed. Or are we all missing something? :huh:
It's a risk/reward move. A ruling that might go either way, and there was a touchdown on the play. Every NFL coach throws that flag.
F
Thirdly, tone down the sarcasm and pull back the claws if you hope to make some good friends on these boards.
If you reread, you'll find that I'm not the one attacking other posters - I'm defending. Unless someone on this thread is Foster.
I find Foster to be better than Kemo. Foster was one of the better lineman last year..
I agree, and I've said before that I like Foster more than Kemo, Essex or Scott. But in my opinion, we need a higher bar. I hope nobody is offended when I point out that we've had a bottom 25% OL for five years, and that's a conservative estimate.

Hawaii 5-0
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Sean Kugler Talks Offensive Line Post Minicamp

Monday, June 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler joined 93.7 The Fan Monday morning to talk about the offensive line as the team heads next towards training camp after finishing up mini-camp last week. Below are some of the better talking points from the interview if you do not have the time to listen to it.

Re: The intelligence of David DeCastro coming into the NFL?

Kugler: Well he is an extremely intelligent kid. He just graduated yesterday in four years from Stanford with management in science engineering degree, which is really amazing in itself. And you can tell just even being in here for the mini-camp, rarely made mistakes, was on point in the meetings and those types things, so I think the learning aspect for him is going to come pretty easily, of course there's always the physical aspect, which is a shock for any player coming out of college.

Re: The toughest position on the offensive line from college to pros?

Kugler: Probably the two toughest would be left tackle, just because of the athletes you'll be facing as pass rushers, but mentally it has to be center and Maurkice made that transition two years ago, and just because of the fact that they have to set all of the line blocking schemes, make all of the calls and the defensive identification. So I would say center is the hardest probably mentally and physically would be left tackle.

Re: Health of Maurkice Pouncey this year?

Kugler: Well Maurkice is the one that attacked that. This off-season, and I told him the other day before we left camp, was his best off-season since he's been here. He looks outstanding. He's moving around great. He's healthy. I can't wait to watch Maurkice Pouncey play this year, because I know he's healthy and I know what he is capable of when he is healthy and he's excited as well. So he did have two major injuries, he's had surgery to correct it. I think last year really hurt him because he wasn't around to be able to rehab with our doctors and training staff, and it's different when you do it on your own. And this year he was, he was here every day and I'm excited for Maurkice Pouncey.

Re: Mike Adams, his good feet and who he is?

Kugler: Yeah, Mike does have really good feet and he moves well. Again it's going to be Mike transitioning to the physical aspect of the NFL. Personally I can't make an evaluation on him until I see him against a James Harrison or a LaMarr Woodley, because those are the top guys that he's going to be going against, and if he can block those cats, he'll have a good chance. So we'll get a quick evaluation on Mike Adams from probably day one to the second we put on pads, but he did an outstanding job as well with the mental aspect, communicating long distance and he came in and you can tell he put the time and effort in to learn the offense.

Re: How quickly he wants the starting five set on the line.

Kugler: As soon as their ready. Those guys are going to have to earn their jobs and I have all the respect in the world for the Ramon Fosters' and the Doug Legursky's and those type guys. I know those guys aren't going to willingly give up their job. It's not in their make-up and all that makes for is better competition. So whoever the starting five are that are out there, of course you want to do that as early as possible and get those guys gelling together and ideally have them play through the entire season. Is that a reality? Maybe not, but that's something that we're striving to do.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/sean_kugler_talks_offensive_line_post_minicamp/11038202

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I love hearing from the position coaches, particularly Kugler, Butler, Mitchell, and Lake.

teegre
06-18-2012, 11:31 PM
I love hearing from the position coaches, particularly Kugler, Butler, Mitchell, and Lake.

Those are four great ones. I foresee each of them, eventually, getting head coaching jobs (akin to the Bill Walsh coaching tree of the 80s).