PDA

View Full Version : Plex

tburhans
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Just read an article on nfl.com about plex.coming back to pitt and how he would be a good fit here. With the possibility of losing wallace and or brown after this season he might not be a bad pickup to have. And he was always a favorite target of bens when he was here and would be a legitimate red zone threat

Hawaii 5-0
05-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I highly doubt Plaxico's ego would allow him to come back here as the #5 WR...

StainlessStill
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Just read an article on nfl.com about plex.coming back to pitt and how he would be a good fit here. With the possibility of losing wallace and or brown after this season he might not be a bad pickup to have. And he was always a favorite target of bens when he was here and would be a legitimate red zone threat

We will not be losing Wallace AND Brown. We will probably lose one them, preferably Wallace since AB has a bigger ceiling. Plus, he's not as selfish and seems like the right kid for Pittsburgh, long-term. That said, Plax can eat shit. If he comes here for #5, so be it, but his whoring out last season left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad the Jets failed him. Idiot.

MACH1
05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Wasn't the Burgh to racist for the plex?

Sixburgher
05-11-2012, 11:44 PM
This again? Please, God, no.

Fire Arians
05-12-2012, 12:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Estimatedprophet/do-not-want-dog.jpg

Bayz101
05-12-2012, 12:31 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/political_pictures_do_not_want_surprised_guy_O_o-s500x265-264432-580.jpg

PhantomJB93
05-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I'll say the same thing I said last year: We shouldn't give him much money, if at all. But if he comes at a low price, he will be an extremely valuable asset to this offense. Especially considering the lack of height/physicality in the redzone present in this receiving corps.

Considering the complete lack of interest this year, which I find surprising considering he caught 8 touchdowns last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually does end up here.

Mistah_Q
05-12-2012, 01:37 AM
It won't happen. He doesn't provide any value as a "veteran presence" that we can't get from Cotchery. There is absolutely no other reason to bring him in... we're going to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery... and we want to try to develop some of these young guys we have on the roster. If we got rid of Hines Ward to keep him from suppressing the development of young talent (something Hines should appreciate... Troy Edwards anyone?) -- then we're certainly not going to bring in Plax to do it, especially when we already have a couple guys that fill the role he'd play.

steeltheone
05-12-2012, 01:41 AM
After he dissed us last year....Nah

Steel Peon
05-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Plex (by no fault of his own) did not fit into the Steelers' gameplan then, and he does not fit into it now.........I'm glad he's done good, but I don't honestly want him back.......he belongs elsewhere.

TheVet
05-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Plax was a master at making the routine catches look impossible, and the impossible catches look routine.

Come to think of it, I don't really miss that particular adventure.

Galax Steeler
05-12-2012, 06:17 AM
It is not going to happen if he was going to play for the Steelers he would have signed last year.

TRH
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Plex (by no fault of his own) did not fit into the Steelers' gameplan then, and he does not fit into it now.........I'm glad he's done good, but I don't honestly want him back.......he belongs elsewhere.

this. I have absolutely zero interest in him. And likely the team does not either.

tburhans
05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
All i was saying is that he would be an easy guy for ben to throw a jump ball to in the red zone. That much he was always good at. And i didnt say we were going to lose wallace and brown. i said wallace or brown. Plex is 6'5 and our next tallest receiver is 7th round pick and rookie Clemons. Plex did have 8 td's last year with Sanchez throwing the ball. He could easily have 10 td's with Ben at qb. He cant be demanding that much money as he is not in high demand. We have plenty of locker room veterans to mentor our young group so Plex would not be asked to do that. All he has to do is come in and play some red zone offense for us. That much i believe he could do so if the price is right i would take one year flyer on him

FrancoLambert
05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
No way. He's done. Very limited red-zone role at best to take up a roster spot.
Throw in his attitude, age.....look elsewhere if needed, like our draft.

Hawaii 5-0
05-12-2012, 08:59 PM
PLAXICO BURRESS, RYAN GRANT AMONG BEST REMAINING FREE AGENTS

By: Jason La Canfora | NFL Network
Published: May 10, 2012

We tend to overblow the significance of the initial rush of free-agent signings. So often, the teams that make the biggest splash don't truly "win." And we certainly overlook the value of the latter stages of the process.

A year ago, the New England Patriots added Andre Carter and Brian Waters later in the process with little fanfare. The Baltimore Ravens did the same with Bryant McKinnie . Without the contributions of those players, I'm not sure New England would have reached the Super Bowl or Baltimore would've made it to the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough. A key, cheap free-agent signing can do much more than just bolster depth -- it can provide an important starter at a vital position of need.

And there are several intriguing players still on the street right now, eager for an opportunity to prove their worth. At this point, most clubs are focused on evaluating youth, holding rookie camps and assessing undrafted free agents. Some older players are left to sit around for a while and wait for a chance to get a job just before -- or even during -- training camp. Most of them are just fine with that at this stage of their career.

Some clubs are restricted by salary-cap issues and some are waiting for the inevitable rush of injuries that'll force them to turn to their emergency lists and begin making calls. I fully expect the phone to ring for most of the veterans in this list at some point. And frankly, given the health concerns with many of them, allowing more time for them to heal isn't a bad idea, anyway.

QB Dennis Dixon : He is still young at 27, and it wasn't that long ago that he quarterbacked the Pittsburgh Steelers to a Week 1 win over the Atlanta Falcons while Ben Roethlisberger was suspended (then suffered a torn meniscus the following week and ended up on IR). He's had horrible luck, but he was helluva high school and college quarterback. He's plenty big at 6-foot-3 and was a former 20th-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds. He's an athlete -- period. And I think he's a solid depth quarterback in this league at the very least.

I have always been impressed with Dixon's athleticism, calm presence, willingness to learn and perseverance (anyone who saw his college career at Oregon abruptly end due to injury can attest to that). Some think of him as a gimmick guy, but for most of his football life he was a traditional drop-back passer who wasn't asked to run all over the field.

During his four years in Pittsburgh, there were many in the organization who believed he could be a very effective backup and spot starter. But others in the coaching staff were less inclined to think that way. Still, Dixon came in cold -- without getting reps in practice all week -- and nearly beat the Ravens in Baltimore on a Sunday night back in 2009, after a concussion forced Roethlisberger out of the lineup about 36 hours before kickoff. Dixon has strong Wildcat ability as a situational player, and I still see plenty of upside, too.

Dixon has visited other teams as a free agent, but they've opted to go in other directions. Most recently, Dixon worked out for the Ravens, but they went with Curtis Painter as a third quarterback option (given Painter's familiarity with new quarterback coach Jim Caldwell, Painter's head coach in Indianapolis). There are fewer jobs out there with more and more teams keeping just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, but I still can't believe there isn't a spot for Dixon somewhere.

When I ask personnel people about him, they mention an injury risk, but several sources have told me Dixon's medicals are fine. And in reality, we're only talking about a one-year, veteran-minimum contract at this stage of the game anyway. Dixon can be a developmental starter with the ability to fill a spot role.

Best fit: St. Louis Rams . The Rams have kicked the tires on Dixon. They still lack depth behind Sam Bradford and have to worry at least a little about Bradford having to miss time. Brian Schottenheimer had success using Brad Smith in the Wildcat as the Jets' offensive coordinator, and while the Rams won't want Bradford ceding too many snaps, Dixon could provide a very different skill set.

WR Plaxico Burress : It didn't work out spectacularly with the Jets, but then again, everything imploded there. (Clearly there were deep-seeded locker room and chemistry issues.) Burress wasn't a problem there and getting better quarterback play in a more robust offense could bring out the best in him.

He remains a red-zone weapon, as evidenced by his eight touchdowns in 2011. The jump balls alone can be enough to win you a game or two. He should be better, I believe, having had a good period of time to re-adjust to NFL life after his prison stint. The Eagles are among several teams that could use a tall receiver, and Burress has made it clear he would love to play with Michael Vick . But I think there is a better opportunity at a place that Plaxico is pretty familiar with ...

Best fit: Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, receiver isn't a glaring need right now. But Mike Wallace's contract situation could linger. And regardless, Burress makes perfect sense in certain packages. He knows everyone there -- having spent his first five professional seasons in Pittsburgh -- and the Steelers considered bringing him back a year ago, despite his checkered history. He remains on their radar now. Nothing is imminent, but with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders only a year away from free agency, there might not be money for everyone. Burress could be an affordable stopgap guy for them, even if it's only in a role not much larger than the one Hines Ward served last season.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d828ff6e8/plaxico-burress-ryan-grant-among-best-remaining-free-agents/

Steelersfan87
05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't understand this whole Wallace-Burress connection. How is Burress any insurance against Wallace walking in 2013? He'll be 35 when this season starts. He could retire after this year.

Hawaii 5-0
05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't understand this whole Wallace-Burress connection. How is Burress any insurance against Wallace walking in 2013? He'll be 35 when this season starts. He could retire after this year.

I completely agree. if anything, Burress would only slow down a younger player's development.

tanda10506
05-13-2012, 01:40 AM
He's a d bag with a state prison sentence, the Rooney's will not be interested.

Steel Peon
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Burress could be an affordable stopgap guy for them, even if it's only in a role not much larger than the one Hines Ward served last season.
Sheeit! I'd rather just re-sign Hines Ward! Did LaCanfora read what he typed?

tucker6
05-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Sheeit! I'd rather just re-sign Hines Ward! Did LaCanfora read what he typed?
Apparently not. He used the phrase "deep seeded" when it should have been "deep seated". How can a writer not know basic word meanings?

As for Plex, I'm not interested, and haven't been for a few years. His skills have diminished as he ages. Those 8 TD's glossed over a poor team player who took many plays off.

harrison'samonster
05-13-2012, 07:27 PM

I agree. I was happy to see him have some success, but I don't think he will do the team any good.

Avoid-Lloyd
05-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I would take him back if he is cheap. It would be interesting to see if he has anything left. I mean, he did have possibly the worst starting QB in the league throwing to him last season and he still had 8 TDs. We could use him as our 3rd WR after Sanders and Cotchery go down with their annual injuries next season

Fire Arians
05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I would take him back if he is cheap. It would be interesting to see if he has anything left. I mean, he did have possibly the worst starting QB in the league throwing to him last season and he still had 8 TDs. We could use him as our 3rd WR after Sanders and Cotchery go down with their annual injuries next season

hopefully sanders' ankle had a chance to fully heal this offseason. it didn't have a chance to last season and he basically started off the season injured.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Last year the Steelers wanted him to sign a 2 year deal. He was hoping to have a great year and get a payday thus going with a 1 year deal. Well having SanchokeyO pass to you, isn't going to make that come true at any point. He didn't diss us, he just went with a 1 year deal in hopes of jumping back up a level in free agency this year.

I would take him at a 1mill a year.

ebsteelers
05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
oo nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo

dumper is that you?

remember last year when we had to bury that knucklehead for all his plax talk.

goodness not again .. not again not again.

wallace
brown
sanders
cotch
rainey

miller
saunders

my boy wes lyons gonna sneak in there.

so no ... no room for plax.

TheVet
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Remember when Kordell used to throw those balls in the dirt at his feet? A 6'5" receiver, and Kordell had him twisted up like a pretzel. I really felt bad for Plex back then.

Sixburgher
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
oo nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo

dumper is that you?

remember last year when we had to bury that knucklehead for all his plax talk.

Yeah, I remember.

"Oh my gaaaawwwd! The rooneys are such idiots! Signing plax is going to put the jets in the superbowl and the rooneys are content to just stand pat! Why can't we have a real front office like the jets? Oh my gaaaawwwd!"

:rolleyes:

ebsteelers
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I remember.

"Oh my gaaaawwwd! The rooneys are such idiots! Signing plax is going to put the jets in the superbowl and the rooneys are content to just stand pat! Why can't we have a real front office like the jets? Oh my gaaaawwwd!"

:rolleyes:

hahaha remember he knew more about football then you, the rooneys, colbert, and me combined.

hhahaha..

wonder what happened to that guy? rooting for the jets or stains now im sure

stb_steeler
05-16-2012, 08:34 PM
This again? Please, God, no.

Was thinking the same thing!!!
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/obxbluewater/plaxico.jpg