PDA

View Full Version : Ensemble offense may lead to Mike Walace's departure

Kingmagyar
05-17-2012, 07:58 AM
With Todd Haily's offense seeming to emphasize balance by more short passing to backs and running the football I think you will see a very mediocre season by Mike Wallace this year.

There is only one football and with a more concerted effort of running the football and a shorter passing game Ben should have play making options galore. The addition of Rainey and even a retooled offensive line points to a certain direction this team is striving to go.

Throw in the fact Mike Wallace will be behind in grasping the offense as he's not even going to get a look at the playbook until training camp and that is assuming he shows on time for that.

Also if we see the trend continue of defenses having the formula to shut him down and contain him, he very well could continue to be frustrated by double teams as Antonio Brown's numbers continue to rise. I see this scenario happening and why I feel Brown is the important signing this summer regardless of his contract status next year.

Will Mike Wallace stand that much ahead of the crowd of talent with him to be a 10 million dollar man? He hasn't so far and that is before the new attitude on offense.

Mike Wallace will be an important part of a machine but not the only part. An ensemble offense dictates an ensemble pay scale.

And Mike Wallace may find himself where he started, a one trick pony used to surprise a defense that is being battered by a run game or frustrated by dump off passes to backs and tight ends.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
It so continues....

Wallace will be fine, and he isnt going any wheres.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
If anything...with the emphasize of a more balance offense by running more short passing routes and more passes to the backs, I believe that would even open the threat of Wallace more going deep.

Also this year against the pats we ran a style of that offense and Wallace had 7 targets for 7 catches for 70 yds.

Everyone hails AB, yes he is a great player but why do you think he had a breakout year last year, once wallace had that amazing start...all the coverage got rolled over to mikes side. Which opened it up for AB to do his thing.

By the way how many TDs did he have last year...2....wallace had 8.

Also look for sanders to have a breakout year.

madtowndrunkard
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I understand the logic you are trying to use, but I think the results are going to be very different then you think.

Wallace fell off the face of the earth in the 2nd half last year. His numbers declined dramatically later in 2011. Because defenses learned if they took Wallace out, we struggled to score. With out the big play our offense was flat out BAD. If we stuck with the same strategy as last year.... Wallace would have his worst year by far.

Now we have Haley. Haley is going to bring balance. What is balance really mean? To you it is less passing. To me it is more efficient. To me balance makes the defense guess more. To me balance will open up more big plays. Balance will produce more TD's.

With the talent we have, there is NO reason why we are not a top 5 offense in the NFL. With the drop off I expect to see with our defense, we better start scoring more. Now defenses can't just take away the deep ball and shut us down. With the new changes we should be able to pound the ball down their throat if needed. We still have deep threats...so if defenses try to play up to the LOS we can burn them deep. No one respected our running game last year. In the redzone we couldn't score. I expect a huge year from Wallace.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Haley isnt going to run off one of the best deep threats in the game. Only way Wallace leaves is if its all about the $$, but I think the Steelers will make him a very fair offer and try to keep him.

If he wants top 5 WR $$$, then I think he will be gone after this season.

Steel Peon
05-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Somehow I just can't get enough of taking Wallace down a few notches, but now I actually think people have come to terms with his actual value versus the theoretical, and I'll refrain from joining in this round.

What I did want to say on the subject is about the new offensive mentality:

with a more concerted effort of running the football and a shorter passing game Ben should have play making options galore. The addition of Rainey and even a retooled offensive line points to a certain direction this team is striving to go.

To which I have to say, I really agree with this sentiment:

If anything...with the emphasize of a more balance offense by running more short passing routes and more passes to the backs, I believe that would even open the threat of Wallace more going deep.

When you're constantly going for the home run with a guy like Wallace, and you run a simple-as-pie-vanilla offense, your predictability starts to hit a critical point where your most dangerous weapons become your biggest liabilities, with an increasingly lower probability of success. It also doesn't help when this mentality seems to have made you completely forget about your world champion tight end for an entire season, but I digress.

The new offensive formula looks to create multiple threats from many angles, which makes me also think that this will spring Wallace more often than it did before. In fact, the possibility of Wallace having a record year seems to become more likely than a drop-off.......if he learns the play book in time. All this being said, it's very possible the Steelers offense will morph into something that takes advantage of his skills more than any offense in the league could, which would end up being a very strong reason for him to forgo the Fitzgerald sized contract, settle for a very good one with the Steelers, and maybe end up having a career for the ages.

Vis
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
My take is that none of us has the slightest clue what form the offense will take this year. TH's offense has been both pass happy and run happy depending on which former team you look at. I believe his statement that he will do what works.

PhantomJB93
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
If Wallace has a mediocre season, doesn't that just make it easier to sign him?

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
If Wallace has a mediocre season, doesn't that just make it easier to sign him?

someone will pony up and make an offer we can't match. unless he's injured i don't see how even a down season will make him an unattractive free agent in the market

ebsteelers
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
My take is that none of us has the slightest clue what form the offense will take this year. TH's offense has been both pass happy and run happy depending on which former team you look at. I believe his statement that he will do what works.

exactly, todd will do what is working and not force the issue of passing or what not

ebsteelers
05-17-2012, 03:01 PM
if wallace wants to walk and wants more money theres the door pal..

granted i think we should of tried and got a pick or something for him

but an offense with

wr 1 brown
wr 2 saunders
wr 3 cotch
wr 4 eb steelers
te 1 miller
te 2 saunders
te 3 pope

Galax Steeler
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I think it will be safe to say that Wallace will not be back with the team next year. I am siding with the Steelers on this one. Why would we break the bank on one player when we have Brown who does not have the speed of Wallace but in my opinion is a more complete receiver and can make plays across the middle.

TheVet
05-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree with others that a new OC with a new offensive philosophy (competence) gives Wallace the best chance of a phenomenal year.

Saunders, Brown and Wallace all have great individual skills that are very different and quite complementary. It would be a shame to lose any of them ... but there's going to be a lot of pressure trying to hold together a trio like this.

Before reality intrudes, at least we can look forward to 2012-2013.

austinfrench76
05-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Another thing that will determone whether he is a Steeler moving forward is the way he handles himself this year. With rumblings that his attitude palyed a part in his decline down the stretch last year and his desire to get HUGE money, as the Steelers have shown, they won't pay him if he doesn't handle himself professionally. Look at the Faneca situation. Now, there is no comparison with position or play between the 2 but there certainly is in regards to how Faneca managed to piss the FO off and ultimately left. I agree that ensemble is actually the way it's heading in the league though. Especially at RB but I would also rather have Brown, Sanders and Cotchery than to lose Brown and Sanders because we over pay Wallace. Just my opinion.

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Another thing that will determone whether he is a Steeler moving forward is the way he handles himself this year. With rumblings that his attitude palyed a part in his decline down the stretch last year and his desire to get HUGE money, as the Steelers have shown, they won't pay him if he doesn't handle himself professionally. Look at the Faneca situation. Now, there is no comparison with position or play between the 2 but there certainly is in regards to how Faneca managed to piss the FO off and ultimately left. I agree that ensemble is actually the way it's heading in the league though. Especially at RB but I would also rather have Brown, Sanders and Cotchery than to lose Brown and Sanders because we over pay Wallace. Just my opinion.

x100000000000.

toney clemons could always step up, we never know

or pick up another 3rd or 4th round guy next year.

lets just say i dont think ben will be hurting for weapons if wallace leaves... most speed recievers only have a few good years cause over time they lose the jets.

would like to get a pick for wallace but i guess that wont be the case now

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
maybe wallace wants to leave cause he isn the fastest man on the team anymore?

a boy named chris has something to say about that

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers WR Mike Wallace Should Learn from Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson

Published: 23rd May
by Clyde A. Speller

http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/pittsburgh-steelers/files/2012/05/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Wallace-on-bench9.jpg

Steeler Nation is getting more and more impatient with Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace and the situation that he has with the Steelers’ front office. The 2012 NFL Draft is in the books, training camp will be here before you know it, and there is still a stalemate between Wallace andPittsburgh’s management.

The Pro Bowl receiver still have until June 15th to sign the tender offer sheet of $2.7 million that was presented to him. If Wallace decides not to do so, then the Steelers have the right to cut the tender to $577,500, which would be a $2.1 million dollar cut for Wallace.

As I mentioned last month, Wallace does deserve a lucrative contract based on his statistics over the past three years. However, he still isn’t at the elite level where he can demand an all-time NFL record contract.

Holding out at this point and time will not benefit Wallace, or the Steelers’ offense. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is already mentioning of how complicated offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s new offensive scheme is. Having Wallace at minicamps right now will make things a little less stressful for himself and the offense. Holding out can also have a negative effect on the three-year veteran receiver’s performance going into next season. Resent history has shown us this.

If there is one person that Wallace can look to as an example from last year is Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson. Leading up to last season, Johnson held out of training camp and missed the entire preseason, which resulted in his subpar 2011 NFL regular season.

I guess that it still hasn’t crossed Wallace’s mind that the Steelers have been in a tight bind financially since the start of the offseason, and is in no position to give him a big deal right now. Signing the tender will not only help the franchise as far as with the salary cap, but it will also give Wallace more than enough time to get acclimated to a new offensive coordinator, which would give him a better chance to prove this upcoming season that he is worth a gargantuan contract.

http://www.rantsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/05/23/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-mike-wallace-should-learn-from-tennessee-titans-rb-chris-johnson-2/

kan_t
05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Last time I check, Wallace decided not to attend OTA, which is not compulsory anyway.

Some journalists really have nothing to write about.

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Last time I check, Wallace decided not to attend OTA, which is not compulsory anyway.

Some journalists really have nothing to write about.

when you see a player like Giants WR Hakeem Nicks go down with an injury you realize it makes no sense for Wallace to be at OTAs...