PDA

View Full Version : Adams Will Start Season at Left Tackle

Vis
05-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Bouchette: Adams Will Start Season at Left Tackle

http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Mike-Adams.jpg
Ed Bouchette confirmed today (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116406-ed-adams-to-lt-gilbert-stays-at-rt?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) that the Steelers are planning on newly drafted Mike Adams being the Steelers left tackle as they enter the 2012 season.
Rookie Mike Adams will go to left tackle and Marcus Gilbert will stay at right tackle, a source close to the situation told me today.
At least that’s the plan going into training camp. That obviously could change if Adams cannot handle the job but the coaching staff believes he can and quickly made that decision right after they drafted him.
It’s why they put the phone call into Willie Colon so quickly to inform him of his move to left guard.
So, as long as things work out, the Steelers offensive line will look like this:
LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert.
Possible backups: T Jonathan Scott, G/T Trai Essex, G/C Doug Legursky, G Ramon Foster.

ebsteelers
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
i can dig it ..

quality back ups with experience

PhantomJB93
05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I was gonna say, assuming they both beat out Scott (which isn't hard) and Starks isn't re-signed, what would be the point of starting Adams at right and Gilbert at left when they're just gonna swap positions in the near future anyway?

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 02:30 PM
i figured that's what would happen. gilbert is already solid at RT, no real need to move him and risk anything.

colon to LG makes sense since you want to put the rookie next to a seasoned veteran

Curtain_of_Steel
05-17-2012, 02:46 PM
So Adams need to worry about a guy in starks, that we cut once, and than was injured after playing out a 1 year deal? lol

Adams was starting from Day 1 when they picked him!

Well, perhaps Colon can learn from the rookie now and make himself a better lineman

ebsteelers
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
well adams is going to be welcomed to the league quickly with von miller and doomervill in game 1

Hawaii 5-0
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
well adams is going to be welcomed to the league quickly with von miller and doomervill in game 1

well, if we don't re-sign Mad Max then it's either gonna have to be Adams or Jon Scott and I would just as soon see Adams out there since he has a future and Scott does not.

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM

even if he starts next year, he'd still have to take a trial by fire. i don't care if your first start is in your rookie season or 3rd year, your first NFL game experience is not going to be an easy one. better to know what it's all about sooner rather than later imo.

gilbert got thrown into the fire needing to start against robert mathis. I think he did pretty well.

regardless, i don't think he can do possibly any worse than jonathan rollerskates scott against terrell suggs and dwight freeney

Steel_Bus_24
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Hopefully hes doing more run blocking....

I fully expect us to ram the fffing ball down their throat with our retooled nasty-ies in the middle:helmet:

Manning might as well not show up because he's not going to be touching that ball very much

:tt02:

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
^ true. colon/pouncey/decastro is gonna be one nasty ass interior line. we can have much success running the ball

ebsteelers
05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
^ true. colon/pouncey/decastro is gonna be one nasty ass interior line. we can have much success running the ball

quarterback sneak everytime with big sloppy at qb..

5 yards and a cloud of dust everytime

Hawaii 5-0
05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Report: Mike Adams To Get First Crack At Left Tackle Spot

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports today that a source close to the situation told him that the initial plan is for second round draft pick Mike Adams to get the first crack at the left tackle spot as the Pittsburgh Steelers head towards training camp. This would mean that second year tackle Marcus Gilbert would stay put at right tackle, where he started 13 games last season as a rookie.

Gilbert was told heading into the offseason that he should prepare to play left tackle in 2012, but this was of course before Adams was drafted and the decision was made to move Willie Colon to left guard following the draft. This, as I pointed out on Wednesday, was one of the two likeliest scenarios moving forward after the position switch of Colon was officially announced.

The Steelers signed Kyle Jolly to the roster on Thursday, but there should not be too much read into that move as he will just be another training camp body like he was last year. The progression of Adams will likely be monitored closely through the OTA and mini-camp sessions that begin next week and the Steelers could have sights on bringing back unrestricted free agent tackle Max Starks as soon as he is recovered from his ACL surgery if Adams does not progress well. Other tackles currently on the roster are Jonathan Scott, Trevis Turner and Chris Scott along with the recently signed Jolly.

Although Chris Scott is listed as a tackle, he is better suited more as a guard. He was given the first crack at winning the right guard spot last year during the preseason, but failed at the opportunity, his play was also just as bad when tried at right tackle last preseason. The signing of Jolly gives the Steelers a little more training camp depth at the right tackle spot. Jolly played both tackle spots last year in the preseason.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/report-mike-adams-to-get-first-crack-at-left-tackle-spot/

3rdandlong
05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I like the idea of throwing the rookies in the water and seeing if they can swim. The only problem I have is that Adams learning curve isn't nearly as forgivable when he's protecting Ben's blindside. Hopefully we can sign Max Starks, too.

STEELAMANIA
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
OK......for those of you who have short memories.....How many of you remember MAX STARKS first start against the Titans (when it was his first ever start?) He practically schooled Kyle Vanden-Bosch. Some of you are acting as if Adams is some scrub. Remember alot of draft boards had him going in the first round until his weed thing got out but remember the Steelers stole a first round quality pick in the 2nd round, he has the quick feet comparable to Marvel Smith. The Steelers and coach Kugler know that he is the best tackle they drafted since Marvel Smith.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
WOW, I am really shocked that they are going to trust the LT spot to a rookie that has at times thru his career and in the Senior bowl week......looked inconsistent.

At least he may be heading to camp at LT and have a few months to be coached up before the bullets fly for real.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
OK......for those of you who have short memories.....How many of you remember MAX STARKS first start against the Titans (when it was his first ever start?) He practically schooled Kyle Vanden-Bosch. Some of you are acting as if Adams is some scrub. Remember alot of draft boards had him going in the first round until his weed thing got out but remember the Steelers stole a first round quality pick in the 2nd round, he has the quick feet comparable to Marvel Smith. The Steelers and coach Kugler know that he is the best tackle they drafted since Marvel Smith.

...and Max Starks was lazy with his technique and got schooled by Jonathan Fanane when he was a veteran. Marvel Smith started a couple seasons at RT before moving to LT.

The fact that they want to put a rookie at LT says 2 things. 1. they believe they can get him up to speed in time. 2. they have ignored the LT position for so long that there is not a better option.

I think its the wrong move, but come on Kug's.......coach em up.

kan_t
05-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Still think Starts will start first, but I have no complain if Adams gets the job.

TheVet
05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I can't believe Starks gets mentioned so often on these threads. He's not even on the roster, and the chances of the Steelers actually re-signing him are somewhere between none and minimal.

This is a career underachiever, an average guy on a very poor line. A guy who was shown the door when he was still healthy, and then brought back only when every other alternative had been exhausted. But he was better than other short-term fixes - at least he knew the plays. And now he won't even have that advantage, never mind that he's recovering from a serious surgery.

Seriously, all the Steelers moves are oriented towards building a future OL. It was nearly a decade ago when Starks was a promising young guy.

What's with all this Starks stuff???

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I can't believe Starks gets mentioned so often on these threads. The chances of the Steelers actually re-signing him are somewhere between none and minimal. This is a career underachiever, an average guy on a very poor line. A guy who was shown the door when he was still healthy, and then brought back only when every other alternative had been exhausted. But he was better than nothing - at least he knew the plays. And now he won't even have that advantage, never mind that he's recovering from a serious surgery.

Seriously, all the Steelers moves are oriented towards building a future OL. It was nearly a decade ago when Starks was a young guy with promise.

What's with all this Starks stuff???

dunno but i'd still rather cut jon scott and sign starks. i mean seriously, scott is worthless

Steelersfan87
05-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Another bold and surprising move by the Steelers organization. It looks like they want to get their 5 best linemen in the long-term positions as soon as possible. I am assuming that it was understood at the very least by the end of the rookie minicamp, if not at the end of the draft, that Adams would be entering training camp at LT and DeCastro at RG and Colon at LG, and we're obviously just learning all of this now. Of course things could change if they re-sign Starks and/or Adams struggles, but it looks like they're giving Adams every opportunity to win his spot.

TheVet: Obviously many people do not share your view on Starks. He would be a superlative swing tackle at the very least. The odds of him being re-signed are certainly better than slim to none. The odds of him starting possible are, but not of him being brought back.

TheVet
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
dunno but i'd still rather cut jon scott and sign starks. i mean seriously, scott is worthless
Agreed that Starks is much better than Scott. We've got a real problem with depth at OT.

TheVet
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
TheVet: Obviously many people do not share your view on Starks. He would be a superlative swing tackle at the very least. The odds of him being re-signed are certainly better than slim to none. The odds of him starting possible are, but not of him being brought back.

Max Starks isn't going to become "superlative" in his ninth year.

Yes, I've noticed that there are lots of different viewpoints here. Luckily, the Rooneys' recent actions seem to show that they share my views, and that's good enough for me. Something tells me you'll come around when you see what a real OL does for the Steelers offense. :drink:

Steelersfan87
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I said he would be a superlative swing tackle, i.e. a backup. And he would be. How many swing tackles are there that have won a super bowl at both left and right tackle?

TheVet
05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
LOL. Max Starks didn't "win a Super Bowl." A great defense and an amazingly tough QB were somehow able to overcome a horribly ineffective OL (and OC) and somehow win a Super Bowl.

An NFL-caliber OL is coming to Pittsburgh, ready or not!

Steelersfan87
05-17-2012, 08:39 PM
You're missing my point...the Super Bowls are just an example of the fact that he has years of starting experience at both positions. That is extremely valuable and extremely rare in a swing tackle.

Also, of course he won a Super Bowl. The meaning of the phrase is widely understood, no need to get semantic about it.

As far as OT depth goes, the issue can easily be solved by 1) re-signing Starks, 2) working Foster at both tackle spots, and 3) simply remembering that Colon can play RT in an emergency.

Fire Arians
05-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Agreed that Starks is much better than Scott. We've got a real problem with depth at OT.

definitely but we have to start somewhere. At least now we have a starting lineup that is respectable. We haven't had that since faneca and hartings left us

TheVet
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
definitely but we have to start somewhere. At least now we have a starting lineup that is respectable. We haven't had that since faneca and hartings left us

Agreed (except Faneca wasn't exactly solid in his final year here, as I recall). We've already taken huge strides, no matter what. The projected starting OL doesn't have a single name that's not a legitimate NFL starter. That's huge. It's wonderful to be discussing depth!

Anyway, given Starks vs. Scott, well sure, I'd take Starks - but that's not the choice. There are plenty of impressive bodies floating around the periphery of NFL rosters, young guys who are worth a shot, and even experienced guys with talent who aren't ready to hang it up yet. We already know where Starks topped out (pre-injury), and we've all seen enough of Scott. Not very comforting.

It's easy to forget just how bad our OL has been over the past five years, but now we're raising the bar. The definition of "above the line" is tightening up. We can do better, and we should.

Unfortunately, one thing about Scott - he may be really tight with Kugler. We may need to hold our noses on this one, but hopefully not twice.

TheVet
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
You're missing my point...the Super Bowls are just an example of the fact that he has years of starting experience at both positions. That is extremely valuable and extremely rare in a swing tackle.

I see Starks as being mediocre on a good day - a big underachiever with an NFL body custom-made by God. Please give me someone with heart and desire. Experience would be a bonus.

Honestly Dodens, these are not the good old days. You're going to like having an NFL-caliber OL. It's coming, ready or not!

Steelersfan87
05-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Holy crap. First of all, PLEASE, PLEASE stop saying "it's coming, ready or not" as though I'm protesting drafting offensive linemen with pedigree, and please stop saying "NFL-caliber" as though players like Foster and Kemoeatu are not worthy to wash the jock straps of Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert.

Also, the idea that Starks is "medicore on a good day" is patently unfair. By all means, call him inconsistent - that he is. But he has had great, even dominant games before. People that are not NFL caliber don't last more than a couple years in the league. Not everybody gets elected to the Pro Bowl. I understand your attitude toward Starks, but it's frankly way exaggerated. None of these guys are as bad as Justin Hartwig or Sean Mahan were. I honestly don't know crap about Hartwig before he came to the Steelers, but if there was anybody I would dismiss from the "NFL-caliber" tag, it would be him while he was in Pittsburgh. I was amazed by how often he ended up on his face a second or two after the snap.

Heart and desire don't count for much in a backup.

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2012, 03:02 AM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

“@hammerspeaks: Foster v. Colon, who you like better at guard?” I think Foster is better guard now than Adams is a tackle if that makes sense

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
05-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Starks is "medicore on a good day"

Starks saved our season...

Kingmagyar
05-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Terrell (Ooooow my F+=king Achilles!) Suggs had only 1 tackle in his game against Max (I'll save the season) Starks compared to the 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 interception Suggs had against Jonathan (I play left tackle like a stumbling drunken fool) Scott.

Starks is the best insurance policy this team can have as their backup swing tackle or opening day left tackle if Adams is not ready. (recently signed Kyle Jolly is not the answer)

Mistah_Q
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
even if he starts next year, he'd still have to take a trial by fire. i don't care if your first start is in your rookie season or 3rd year, your first NFL game experience is not going to be an easy one. better to know what it's all about sooner rather than later imo.

Not only that, but this will give Ben the chance to slowly get used to having a real O-Line, and work his way up to know what to do when he has time to throw... they can develop together. If Adams were all-pro quality from day 1, Ben might go into shock!

ETL
05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't understand all this uncertainty that y'all feel with Adams being a starter. I know he's a rookie but wasn't he touted to be as good as a first round pick?

If he didn't smoke pot could he have been a first round pick?

And if he is a first round pick, wouldn't u expect him to start right away? I would and if he didn't start, I would have been disappointed with picking a backup with our first round pick.

pete74
05-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Personally I'm happy as hell Adams will be our LT. Its going to be nice having a real LT. I'm sure he will have growing pains and make mistakes but the only way to learn to swim is to jump into the water. Plus I would rather have a rookie with Pro Bowl potential starting then Jonathan Scott

Dalarin
05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
WOW, I am really shocked that they are going to trust the LT spot to a rookie that has at times thru his career and in the Senior bowl week......looked inconsistent.

At least he may be heading to camp at LT and have a few months to be coached up before the bullets fly for real.

A blind squirrel is gonna find a nut sometimes, and that works the other way around too. Gilbert looked inconsistent at times in Florida and we started him. Even if he doesn't live up to expectation, Ben now has a direction to run instead of knowing that on a blitz the pressure will be in his face no matter which direction he turns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
A blind squirrel is gonna find a nut sometimes, and that works the other way around too. Gilbert looked inconsistent at times in Florida and we started him. Even if he doesn't live up to expectation, Ben now has a direction to run instead of knowing that on a blitz the pressure will be in his face no matter which direction he turns.

I expect rookie OT's to make mistakes and its part of the learning process. I would just rather they make mistakes on the Right Tackle spot where Ben has a chance at seeing them and avoiding the consequences.

Otherwise, mistakes like this one happen on the blind side and much worse can happen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d822560e3/Big-Ben-knee-injury

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't understand all this uncertainty that y'all feel with Adams being a starter. I know he's a rookie but wasn't he touted to be as good as a first round pick?

If he didn't smoke pot could he have been a first round pick?

And if he is a first round pick, wouldn't u expect him to start right away? I would and if he didn't start, I would have been disappointed with picking a backup with our first round pick.

In January Adams was being touted as a Boom of Bust pick by guys like Gil Brandt, Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper. The hype machines that are the bloggers at bleacherreport, walterfootball, and anybody in their basement with a computer are what pushed Adams stock up.

Most of the 1st round picks at OT las year like Tyron Smith, Gabe Carimi, James Carpenter, Nate Solder, Derreck Sherrod....started at RT where they are not on the blind side. I'd rather see the same thing happen.

Starting a rookie at what is arguably the 4th most important position in football is a bit perilous. You dont give your kid the keys to the Bentley when he gets his first drivers license....you get him a beat up old Toyota Camry.

tony hipchest
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Starting a rookie at what is arguably the 4th most important position in football is a bit perilous. You dont give your kid the keys to the Bentley when he gets his first drivers license....you get him a beat up old Toyota Camry.

even jonothan ogden (4th overall pick) whom many think is the greatest LT ever, didnt play LT as a rookie.

hopefully colon threatens to kick adams ass if he screws up and gets ben hurt.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
even jonothan ogden (4th overall pick) whom many think is the greatest LT ever, didnt play LT as a rookie.

hopefully colon threatens to kick adams ass if he screws up and gets ben hurt.

I honestly hope it works out. I am just a bit surprised, because this is so out of character for the Steelers to do.

I think it was either Pat of Gil that wrote an article on nfl.com a couple years back saying that rookie starters are rare, except for the crappy teams with little talent that need to put guys in there.

tunes4life
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Still think Starts will start first, but I have no complain if Adams gets the job.

:drink:

Here's to posts I have to read 5 times before I fully grasp what is being said

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Personally I'm happy as hell Adams will be our LT. Its going to be nice having a real LT. I'm sure he will have growing pains and make mistakes but the only way to learn to swim is to jump into the water. Plus I would rather have a rookie with Pro Bowl potential starting then Jonathan Scott

im happy he is gonna get a shot.

but the first time von miller comes blasting around the end, everyone is gonna have there ass cheeks pucker if ben gets hammered..

like you said though would much rather adams then scott at tackle add to tfact

if adams sit this year and start him the following year, then thats just another year of growing pains.

lets just get em out of the way early.

cant get experience at lt unless your on the field....

and doesnt anyone think, miller or a second te will be lined up to help him?

todd haley aint no dummy

last thing, dont compare gilbert growing pains as he didnt have a follow off season to get his feet under him, the full off season is a major bonus for adams, and gilbert will be improved

Fire Arians
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
im happy he is gonna get a shot.

but the first time von miller comes blasting around the end, everyone is gonna have there ass cheeks pucker if ben gets hammered..

like you said though would much rather adams then scott at tackle add to tfact

if adams sit this year and start him the following year, then thats just another year of growing pains.

lets just get em out of the way early.

cant get experience at lt unless your on the field....

and doesnt anyone think, miller or a second te will be lined up to help him?

todd haley aint no dummy

last thing, dont compare gilbert growing pains as he didnt have a follow off season to get his feet under him, the full off season is a major bonus for adams, and gilbert will be improved

im sure if adams can hold his own against harrison in training camp, he will be fine for the season. of course that is if he *can*, that remains to be seen lol

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
im sure if adams can hold his own against harrison in training camp, he will be fine for the season. of course that is if he *can*, that remains to be seen lol

right... think im gonna drive out to adams house show him a few pass rush moves... see if he can block me... 5 7 180... 4.5 40..

i'll crawl thru his legs

Fire Arians
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
right... think im gonna drive out to adams house show him a few pass rush moves... see if he can block me... 5 7 180... 4.5 40..

i'll crawl thru his legs

not sure where you're going with this. all im saying is in training camp he will go up against the likes of brett keisel and harrison. if he can handle his own I'm confident he can handle much of what the season can throw at him.

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
but we all know practice is one thing a game is another..

just ask a.i. about practice.

its a different animal when the bright lights are on and its national televised opening night game.

the margin for error defintely isnt there like it is at some other spots.. especially when your franchise qb isnt looking.

hope it works out, hopefully hes getting after the playbook and learning assignments as we speak

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2012, 02:05 PM

i'll crawl thru his legs

You may have a better spin move than Harrison. Bring it!!

What r we talkin bout here..........practice?

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
You may have a better spin move than Harrison. Bring it!!

haha,i got some wheels lol,, i could work on the speed move...

head slap and go

should post tutorial videos for the steelers fever forum... lol

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2012, 02:23 PM

http://www.lebasketbawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/allen-iverson-practice-t-shirt_design.png

MasterOfPuppets
05-18-2012, 02:45 PM

i'll crawl thru his legs
he'll teabag ya .....:sofunny:

ebsteelers
05-18-2012, 02:53 PM
he'll teabag ya .....:sofunny:

hahaha nasty..

gotta catch me first.. lol

:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Report: Trai Essex To Compete At Left Tackle With Mike Adams & Jonathan Scott

Friday, May 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Some more news concerning the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line today as Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports via Twitter that veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex will get a shot to compete for the left tackle position against rookie second round draft pick Mike Adams and veteran Jonathan Scott.

Essex, who was re-signed prior to the draft, has played all five positions on the offensive line since being drafted by the Steelers in the 3rd round of the 2005 NFL draft. Essex was an unrestricted free agent heading into this offseason.

This announcement pretty much backs up the report by Ed Bouchette earlier this week that said second year tackle Marcus Gilbert will now remain at the right tackle spot where he played the majority of his rookie season after Willie Colon went down for the season with a torn triceps against the Baltimore Ravens in week one. It was announced earlier this week that Colon has been moved to left guard permanently.

When the Steelers report for their first OTA session next week, the starting offensive line from left to right could very well be Scott, Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Gilbert as Kaboly also reported on Twitter Friday afternoon that both Adams and first round pick David DeCastro are not permitted to take part in any of the Steelers 10 OTA practices because of school graduation requirements.

Scott was the week one starter for the Steelers last season at left tackle and Foster assumed the right guard spot after starter Doug Legursky injured his shoulder in the week three game against the Indianapolis Colts. Scott was quickly hooked from left tackle when the Steelers re-signed Max Starks following the Steelers loss to the Houston Texans in week four. Starks started the remainder of the season at left tackle.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/report-trai-essex-to-compete-at-left-tackle-with-mike-adams-jonathan-scott/

Fire Arians
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
i guess we might as well say that adams is the winner by default now

TheVet
05-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Holy crap. First of all, PLEASE, PLEASE stop saying "it's coming, ready or not" as though I'm protesting drafting offensive linemen with pedigree, and please stop saying "NFL-caliber" as though players like Foster and Kemoeatu are not worthy to wash the jock straps of Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert.

Also, the idea that Starks is "medicore on a good day" is patently unfair. By all means, call him inconsistent - that he is. But he has had great, even dominant games before. People that are not NFL caliber don't last more than a couple years in the league. Not everybody gets elected to the Pro Bowl. I understand your attitude toward Starks, but it's frankly way exaggerated. None of these guys are as bad as Justin Hartwig or Sean Mahan were. I honestly don't know crap about Hartwig before he came to the Steelers, but if there was anybody I would dismiss from the "NFL-caliber" tag, it would be him while he was in Pittsburgh. I was amazed by how often he ended up on his face a second or two after the snap.

Heart and desire don't count for much in a backup.

Over the past 5 years, the Steelers have had one of the worst OLs in football. Let's be very, very generous, and say it was only in the bottom 25%. Now let's think about what that necessarily means.

It means that the typical starter was below the average NFL-caliber starter. And given that some starters are actually well above average, others must be very far below. It means that depth players for top-50% teams would be instant starters on this OL. It means that many of our players (even starters) would have a hard time catching on with another NFL team. It means that journeymen talent floating around the periphery of the NFL would be definite upgrades in the right places. When you've got a bottom-feeding group, you've necessarily got a lot of players that simply aren't cutting it in the NFL; but you're filling holes. Sorry, but that's the truth. It's really not just a matter of Ben running around holding the ball too long.

Although I wouldn't use your vulgar phrase to describe Kemoeatu, yes, I'd point to him as a player who doesn't belong on an NFL OL. (I wouldn't say the same about Foster).

You seem to be a big Max Starks fan, whereas I think he's a big underachiever who is now on the downside of his career at best. He might not even have any career left, especially post-ACL surgery. What do the front offices around the league think? How about the Steelers?

Lets see, last year he was cut from one of the worst OLs in the league, every other NFL team passed on him, and he was re-signed under extreme circumstances, with no other options available. This year, by moving Colon to guard, the Steelers are accepting a very scary lack of depth at OT, and making a big bet on a rookie. But they haven't even offered a league-minimum contract to Starks. They're running the risk that some other team might pick him up while they might not even have a legitimate starter, and they're not concerned about that risk, We see a big weak link at OT depth, and the Steelers aren't grabbing Starks for cheap. What does Dodens Gray know about Starks that the Steelers FO/coaches and the rest of the league have missed?

Ready or not, it's coming to Pittsburgh: a true NFL-caliber OL, Even if you don't agree with the Steelers rationale for making all these great moves, you're gonna love the results. We're upgrading to the higher NFL standards, and turning an embarrassment into a strength. We're putting teeth into "above the line." There's not going to be room for underachievers or journeymen, including many of the guys we've been cheering for.

TheVet
05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
i guess we might as well say that adams is the winner by default now

Yes, it's hard to see how he can miss. But unfortunately, earning a Steelers starting position will be the easy test. We know the hard tests that will coming.

Wow, I hope that Adams really has what it takes. The Steelers are showing a huge commitment to this man, and offering a great opportunity.

Fire Arians
05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I sure hope so. Adams has to work out. The Steelers are showing a huge commitment to this man.

well, i don't see anyone possibly being worse than j. scott, and I'm confident that any pure 1st round talent should be better than essex

Steelersfan87
05-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Over the past 5 years, the Steelers have had one of the worst OLs in football. Let's be very, very generous, and say it was only in the bottom 25%. Now let's think about what that necessarily means.

It means that the typical starter was below the average NFL-caliber starter. And given that some starters are actually well above average, others must be very far below. It means that depth players for top-50% teams would be instant starters on this OL. It means that many of our players (even starters) would have a hard time catching on with another NFL team. It means that journeymen talent floating around the periphery of the NFL would be definite upgrades in the right places. When you've got a bottom-feeding group, you've necessarily got a lot of players that simply aren't cutting it in the NFL; but you're filling holes. Sorry, but that's the truth. It's really not just a matter of Ben running around holding the ball too long.

I like how you only passingly reference Roethlisberger's influence on the quality of line play when in reality his style of play has a huge influence on how they pass protect. Or the fact that he basically always snaps the ball just as the play clock is hitting zero. A quarterback can have a tremendous influence on how good or bad an offensive line looks. See the Indianapolis Colts last year compared to the decade before that.

Otherwise, yes, of course you are right that the Steelers' offensive line was below the typical NFL offensive line average. Everybody knows that. Everything that you said basically is all considered common knowledge among Steelers fans that pay attention, and is why they're usually not stated--because they don't need to be, when everybody already knows them. Obviously Max Starks is not going to start for the Browns. Chris Kemoeatu is not going to start for the Saints. Ramon Foster would not start for the Texans. Although, Maurkice Pouncey (and Colon 2 seasons ago) would start for an awful lot of teams. Let's not forget that Colon was offered a bigger contract last year than he signed with the Steelers to play guard for the Bears.

Although I wouldn't use your vulgar phrase to describe Kemoeatu, yes, I'd point to him as a player who doesn't belong on an NFL OL. (I wouldn't say the same about Foster).

Now, and for a big chunk of the season before, yeah. Kemoeatu has never been above average, certainly. He has always been well below average in pass protection and general OL IQ, although they did value his ability to pull, which he did fairly well, and his aggressiveness. He did have his fans amongst scouts and media observers for his run blocking. I believe he was actually a 3rd alternate for the Pro Bowl this past season somehow...

Maybe now he is no longer qualified to be on just about any OL in the league. He has had serious issues with injuries that have really hampered his performance. I would say that a few years ago, however, he would have started for a few more run oriented teams. Not with the contract he had, maybe, but he could have been considered on the lower end of what you so lovingly refer to as "NFL-caliber".

You seem to be a big Max Starks fan, whereas I think he's a big underachiever who is now on the downside of his career at best. He might not even have any career left, especially post-ACL surgery. What do the front offices around the league think? How about the Steelers?

I am far from a "big Max Starks fan". I consider him to be an average yet capable, inconsistent tackle that can play on either end. I also believe that he is an underachiever. Who knows what front offices around the league think right now? If he didn't tear his ACL, he probably would have gotten a contract with some other team by now. He turned GMs' heads last year when he came in and the o-line played significantly better.

Lets see, last year he was cut from one of the worst OLs in the league, every other NFL team passed on him, and he was re-signed under extreme circumstances, with no other options available.

This is a poorly ham-handed representation of the situation. He was cut because the Steelers had serious salary cap issues and Starks had a large contract. He was a salary cap casualty. He was also still recuperating from his serious neck injury and was still in the process of losing the weight that he gained while he was unable to work out. Chances are he was signed fairly close to the time that he finally lost enough weight and gotten enough of his football legs back under him that the team felt comfortable having him on the field again.

This year, by moving Colon to guard, the Steelers are accepting a very scary lack of depth at OT, and making a big bet on a rookie. But they haven't even offered a league-minimum contract to Starks. They're running the risk that some other team might pick him up while they might not even have a legitimate starter, and they're not concerned about that risk, We see a big weak link at OT depth, and the Steelers aren't grabbing Starks for cheap. What does Dodens Gray know about Starks that the Steelers FO/coaches and the rest of the league have missed?

Do you realize that he does not have a contract because he is currently injured? He is still recuperating from an injury, like he was last season, which is why he doesn't have a contract. Ed Bouchette wrote today that he was told earlier in the offseason that the Steelers were going to take a look at how Starks is recovering in June, and as he is reportedly ahead of schedule, chances are they may begin looking at him soon. Had they not taken Mike Adams, you could rest assured that the Steelers would be pretty much guaranteed to re-sign Starks when he was healthy again. Now it depends on how Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex perform.

Again, "they haven't even offered a league-minimum contract to Starks" because Starks is currently injured. Only stupid teams like the Bengals give injured players contracts before having assurances that they are healthy again. Are you willing to eat your words if the Steelers end up signing him?

As for depth, they have four players on the roster that will not be starting at a tackle spot this year that can play tackle: Jonathan Scott, Trai Essex, Ramon Foster...and Willie Colon. Also, it's still May. OTAs haven't even begun yet. The offseason roster is far from settled. So let's just calm down with all this speculation about why the Steelers have or haven't done this or that.

Ready or not, it's coming to Pittsburgh: a true NFL-caliber OL, Even if you don't agree with the Steelers rationale for making all these great moves, you're gonna love the results. We're upgrading to the higher NFL standards, and turning an embarrassment into a strength. We're putting teeth into "above the line." There's not going to be room for underachievers or journeymen, including many of the guys we've been cheering for.

Please answer this honestly: WHY do you keep saying "ready or not"? Do you think that I am not happy that the Steelers have taken steps to improve their weakest link? Honestly. Do you think that I'm upset about DeCastro and Adams because it means Starks and Foster can't start any more? Do you think I'm sad to see Legursky return to his swing interior backup role?

What you continually fail to acknowledge is that my responses seem more positive toward these players and toward Bruce Arians because I find certain criticisms of them overly harsh and unjustified, not because I really like how great they were doing. Doug Legursky's best role is as the ultimate swing interior lineman. Nobody in the world would argue that you couldn't find a better starter than Legursky...but the thing is that LAST YEAR, they didn't.

I agree with the Steelers' "rationale" for not having had to trade up to draft the best guard in the draft in the past decade. I do not understand you. Do you really think that it bothered me or something? I was screaming at the TV that they should trade up. I was texting friends with anticipating as each pick past 17 came in, saying that DeCastro was still there. I, as most of us were, was rather surprised when they took Mike Adams, and rightfully so. But I, as all of us except mesaSteeler, later became excited about the pick after hearing and reading more about it and were talking about "two steals in a row" with DeCastro and Adams. So I would appreciate it if you would stop acting like I'm really pissed off at the Steelers for drafting linemen because I somehow thought the line was already great.

But I will also say this: don't be surprised if the new line doesn't look as amazing as you expect due to Roethlisberger. His QB IQ is below the elite level and his progressions are slow in comparison to the likes of the Mannings, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. He scrambles because he has to to find the play sometimes. He makes the line block longer than you can expect a line to block often. He rarely does 3 and 5 step drops, because that's just not his game. And that is why Peyton Manning makes linemen look better than they are and Ben Roethlisberger makes linemen look worse than they are. Even linemen that are already not very good.

Mistah_Q
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
:blah::blah::blah:

Reguardless of whether you've got a point to make, why are you just so consistently crass and rude? Folks like you are why I don't really frequent this board... a shame this sort of attitude is allowed to keep on flying.

Steelersfan87
05-19-2012, 01:30 AM
TheVet has been continually baiting me on the topics of the offensive line and offensive coordinator. My responses to him would be less abrasive if would cease the antagonism. I have, however, already resolved to keep future exchanges on the topic with him to private messaging, because I do not seek to be rude on public forums.

Hawaii 5-0
05-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Let the Steelers offensive tackle battle begin

by The Sports Jags
May 18,2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/696/282/143822058_crop_650x440.jpg?1336709403

Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert are set - for now anyways – to be the Steelers’ starting offensive tackles. Together, they combine for 14 NFL games played and 13 starts…well, that’s what Gilbert brings to the table – Adams is a rookie. These two sub-25-year-olds are tasked with transforming the Steelers’ offensive line into one that’s capable of protecting Ben Roethlisberger in the passing game. No amount of ******** and moaning is going to change that – for some reason Mike Tomlin doesn’t read this blog nor does he take us to be serious journalists.

Whether you’re happy with the decision to keep Gilbert at right tackle and starting Adams at left, all thanks to Willie Colon’s move to guard, it doesn’t matter – these two kids now become the best tackles the Steelers have to offer. Adams and Gilbert pretty much have to work out or the Steelers are up **** crick because they have no legit replacements.

We’re still four months away from the games that matter so that make this a little easier to swallow but the battle to round out the Steelers’ offensive tackle depth chart just became the most interesting action that will take place in Latrobe.

The interior of the line looks stacked now with Colon moving to guard. The starters will be Colon, Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro, and it looks like their backups will be Trai Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. The Steelers could have the best backup corps in the NFL…thanks in large part to the 25 different looks the line sported last year. Essex, and even Legursky and Foster in a severe pinch, can kick out to tackle, but what if the Steelers’ line hits the same “Get Well Soon” road block it hit last year (knock on wood)? The Steelers need serviceable reserve tackles.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/marcus-gilbert-vs-cincinnati-12042011-01-nfl_medium_540_360_JPG.jpg

Even the starters aren’t a sure thing. Gilbert should be just fine now that he’s staying on the right side, as long as he doesn’t hit a sophomore slump. But without even dressing for a single NFL game, let alone see action, the second-round kid out of Ohio State has more responsibility than anyone else on the line. Chances are, if Ben gets murdered, it’s going to be Adams’ fault on Ben’s blind side. The Steelers better figure something out.

Right now, Jonathan Scott and Chris Scott are the only other tackles on the roster with any real shot of hanging around. The Steelers are taking a $2.7 mil cap hit from Jon Scott, the second highest cap hit of any lineman, and he’s been useless since he’s been in the Burgh. We’re still not sure how he still has a job. Chris Scott hasn’t had as many chances as Jonny Boy but he’s still been a pretty big disappointment thanks to inconsistency and injuries. There’s no way he’s an option at left tackle so he’s really going to have to go balls to the wall in camp for a shot at making the team.

The Steelers just signed Kyle Jolly but he’s never been more than a practice squad guy since he came into the league two years ago, and the Steelers have already cut him once.

That really only leaves one option. Max Starks. Right? The big guy is coming off of ACL surgery so maybe the Steelers are just keeping Jon Scott on the roster until Starks gets the goahead…it’s a very real possibility. We saw how productive Starks can be last year when he pretty much saved the line from committing mass suicide…after he dropped about 100 pounds. If he’s rehabbing seriously this offseason there’s no reason he can’t earn himself a spot back on the 53-man roster. The organization loves him and more importantly, Ben loves him.

If the Steelers decide to go with nine linemen like they did last year, Starks makes the most sense to be that ninth guy. He has the experience, he knows Ben’s tendencies and he seems like the type of guy that would have no problem mentoring Gilbert and Adams. Most of all, he’s the most talented guy in this post that isn’t a projected starter. If Gilbert or Adams can’t hack it, he’s the best option for the Steelers’ offense not to completely fall apart.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/let_the_steelers_offensive_tackle_battle_begin/10823324

TheVet
05-19-2012, 02:41 AM
TheVet has been continually baiting me on the topics of the offensive line and offensive coordinator. My responses to him would be less abrasive if would cease the antagonism. I have, however, already resolved to keep future exchanges on the topic with him to private messaging, because I do not seek to be rude on public forums.

I have no interest in any discussion via private messages with this guy. He's been stalking all of my posts for some reason. It's like some kind of strange hobby.

I'm also not going to respond to his posts. Even though he and I obviously have different views on Steelers issues, I'm not willing to have a discussion that's based on personal attacks. I'm happy with what the Rooneys are doing, and I'm here to discuss that.

I sincerely hope that he enjoys the coming Steelers season.

Steelersfan87
05-19-2012, 05:02 AM
A refusal to engage in conversation followed by thinly veiled passive aggressive insults. Fantastic. Time to move on.

TheVet
05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Wait a minute. Someone using the Doddens Grav account stated that he wanted to stop the forum discussions, and so I agreed not to respond to his posts. If that wasn't you, please report this to the moderators. I'm happy to continue the conversation if you'd like, but not via messages, where I would be required to listen to personal insults in addition to inanities.

So what's your preference, discussion or not? And how will I know which Dodden Grav you are? I'd love to debate whether Ben holding the ball too long is the cause of our offensive deficiencies (I'll take the "No" side).

lloydwoodson
05-21-2012, 10:55 PM
The record will show that Doddens Grav chose to stop the forum discussions, and I agreed not to respond to his posts. But I'm also not willing to take the conversation to messages, where I would be required to listen to personal insults in addition to inanities.

So what's your preference? Do you want the forum discussion or not? I certainly don't want to have you upset because I agreed to your request.

TheVet, I have no idea why you feel the need to antagonize other posters. You feel that Roethlisberger is the best qb ever, Arians is the worst OC ever, the Steelers O-line was the worst ever but is quickly becoming the best ever, and anybody that disagrees with you is a total idiot who doesn't recognize NFL-calibre talent like yourself and the front office personnel around the league. It is actually really funny because you are so exaggerated.
:chuckle:

TheVet
05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
TheVet, I have no idea why you feel the need to antagonize other posters. You feel that Roethlisberger is the best qb ever, Arians is the worst OC ever, the Steelers O-line was the worst ever but is quickly becoming the best ever, and anybody that disagrees with you is a total idiot who doesn't recognize NFL-calibre talent like yourself and the front office personnel around the league. It is actually really funny because you are so exaggerated.
:chuckle:

Interesting post. I certainly don't agree with whoever has upset you. Wrong guy?

I don't believe that "Ben is the best QB ever." I don't think he's even top 5 right now, although he has the raw material to be better with good coaching.
I don't think that "the OL is the worst ever"; I've said that it's bottom 25%, conservatively, which is a more generous assessment than than most savvy observers.
I don't think that the "OL is becoming the best ever"; I've said it's becoming NFL-caliber, with good chances to be solid or even very good.
I've never said that "Arians is the worst OC ever." Although he's obviously the weak link, "worst ever" would be quite a stretch.

" It is actually really funny because you are so exaggerated. " LOL. All my opinions are actually mainstream, which caused you to go off and invent a few.

By the way, what's with the personal attacks? I'm not the one following people around.

Steelersfan87
05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I am not following you around. I am responding to public posts on a public forum. If you don't want people to disagree with you and explain why they disagree with you, then don't say anything.

I also not once have ever called you a derogatory name of any kind; in fact, I invite you to review my post history in an attempt to find me insulting you. The worst that I directed toward you was "cut that crap out" in reference to you continually saying "ready or not", with the implication that I was somehow unhappy that the Steelers drafted linemen simply because I was disagreeing with you on other areas of discussion (including, but not limited to, Bruce Arians being absolutely terrible and the offensive line being absolutely terrible). You were attempting to antagonize me, for whatever reason.

I offered to take our conversation to private messages in order to stop derailing this thread, but obviously you prefer to make sure that everybody can see what you're saying. That offer still stands; however, I will not continue to derail this thread by debating forum etiquette with you.

Edit: I think I see what you're saying now, partially, and it is due to poor sentence structure on my part. When I said that I want to "keep future exchanges on the topic with him to private messaging, because I do not seek to be rude on public forums", I did not mean that I wanted to discuss with you privately so that I could freely insult you or something. I just want forum threads to stay on topic, and your disagreement with me is not (and should not be) a topic of public discussion, let alone in this thread. I have no desire to engage in an insult war.

TheVet
05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
in fact, I invite you to review my post history in an attempt to find me insulting you.

Been there, done that. I think I'm going to have to agree with Mistah Q on this one.

Steelersfan87
05-22-2012, 04:06 AM
I reviewed every single one of my posts in response to you. There are no insults thrown on my part. I can't verify it for you. You have to look for yourself. But you won't. Instead you'll insist that I am rude and insulting instead of actually looking and realizing that I have not in fact called you a single derogatory name at all. It has been you that has been the instigator of confrontation, not me.

TheVet
05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
I reviewed your posts. I guess you'll see what you want to see, but I see continual rudeness and insult.

I don't care whether you love the OL, think that Arians is a great OC, and believe the Steelers offense is the strongest point on the team. There's just no reason to be disagreeable.

tony hipchest
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I am not following you around. I am responding to public posts on a public forum. If you don't want people to disagree with you and explain why they disagree with you, then don't say anything.

I was doing EXACTLY the same yet you accused ME of following you around and disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. :noidea:

What makes you so much better that you are granted privaleges to which lowly me am not entitled to? :hunch:

Seems like a rather hypocritical stance, wouldnt you say?

I disagree with your stance and I have explained why.

Thank you. :drink:

Steelersfan87
05-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I reviewed your posts. I guess you'll see what you want to see, but I see continual rudeness and insult.

I don't care whether you love the OL, think that Arians is a great OC, and believe the Steelers offense is the strongest point on the team. There's just no reason to be disagreeable.

You mistake being disagreeable with being disagreed with. To be quite frank, if you felt so insulted by the way that I spoke to you, then you probably need thicker skin. You also do not acknowledge that your attitude toward me (and your instigating, and highly "disagreeable" chorus of "ready or not" designed to agitate me) influenced the degree of terseness with which I replied to you.

I was doing EXACTLY the same yet you accused ME of following you around and disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. :noidea:

What makes you so much better that you are granted privaleges to which lowly me am not entitled to? :hunch:

Seems like a rather hypocritical stance, wouldnt you say?

I disagree with your stance and I have explained why.

Thank you. :drink:

I cannot even remember any of this, most likely because it is incredible unimportant and already in the past. Perhaps you can move on as I have. Unless you'd prefer to hold grudges with people on online forums for whatever reason. I think it's time to get back on topic already. :doh:

tony hipchest
05-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I cannot even remember any of this, most likely because it is incredible unimportant and already in the past. Perhaps you can move on as I have. Unless you'd prefer to hold grudges with people on online forums for whatever reason. I think it's time to get back on topic already. :doh:

:huh: now why would i be holding a grudge?

just simply pointing out a fact and some obvious irony. i agree with many of your takes, and not once felt that you have crossed or wronged me, plus your convenient amnesia is to be admired; however, even the best of friends wont always agree. :hug:

moving along...

MasterOfPuppets
05-22-2012, 07:42 PM
i do hereby disagree!!!

Hawaii 5-0
05-22-2012, 07:45 PM
:grouphug:

Steelersfan87
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Seriously, I think it's time we all just hug it out and move on. You in, TheVet?

TheVet
05-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Yes, we are all Steelers fans, and we can even include the 9/11 truthers in the group hug. But this means you're going to stop following me around, right? I'm new here, so I don't know if it's normal to have people following me around, I thought that was something that happens if I start twittering on Twitter (I'm an old guy).

Steelersfan87
05-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I read almost every thread on the forum and reply when I feel like I have something to say. Some of your posts gave me something to say. I definitely wasn't following you, or trying to initiate confrontation. I hope you don't feel that I was.

tony hipchest
05-23-2012, 01:57 AM
this is a great forum with great minds and great dialogue.

i'll be the 1st to admit that i can be a dick.

hell... its my middle name. :hunch:

its all good.

Fire Arians
05-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, we are all Steelers fans, and we can even include the 9/11 truthers in the group hug. But this means you're going to stop following me around, right? I'm new here, so I don't know if it's normal to have people following me around, I thought that was something that happens if I start twittering on Twitter (I'm an old guy).

I don't think anyone is following you around, it may seem that way, but active posters on the forum tend to click on new threads an frequently (i'm one of them).

in any case let's all play nice, we're all here for the same reason, to support the black & gold :drink:

Fire Arians
05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
this is a great forum with great minds and great dialogue.

i'll be the 1st to admit that i can be a dick.

hell... its my middle name. :hunch:

its all good.

tony dickcrest :chuckle:

Vis
05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
2 pages of dick jokes to follow

TheVet
05-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Well thank you Dodens, all is well.

Hawaii 5-0
05-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Steelers would have taken Adams in Round 1?

May 23rd, 2012

The Steelers got a gift when David DeCastro fell to them at pick 24 in the 2012 NFL Draft. DeCastro was a top 10 prospect but expected to fall into the teens because he is a guard. Pass rushers and cornerbacks passed him up on draft day and DeCastro continued to slip. The Steelers picked him up at #24 without hesitation.

What would have happened if DeCastro would have not been on the board? For most of us we would have been screaming Dont’a Hightower all the way. Many had Hightower as the Steelers pick heading into the draft. He was pretty much the concensus pick.

After seeing the Steelers reaction to Mike Adams I do not know if that would have been the case. The Steelers were extremely high on Adams. They had given him a first round grade. They had already looked past his character issues and wanted him on this team.

The Steelers were more then happy to get Adams in round 2. I think they may have also been more than happy to get Adams in round 1. It might sound crazy but I think the Steelers would have taken Adams at 24 if DeCastro was not available.

Look at how they are treating him right now. He is a second round pick who is expected to start at Left Tackle from day one. The Steelers barely ever start rookies and they sure as hell do not start second round blind side protectors unless absolutely neccesary. Yet Adams is basically being handed the job.

There is no real competition for him at that spot. Jonathan Scott is garbage. Trai Essex is a back up. Marcus Gilbert is now solidly on the right side since Colon moved to guard. This is Adams’ spot. There is no one who is going to take it away from him. He will have to blow it for him not to be the left tackle.

Since that is the case and Adams is getting the left tackle job and the Steelers believe he is the real deal then pick 24 does not seem to be a bad spot to grab a LT. While we all may have wanted Hightower to come in and play linebacker and fill the gap left by Farrior we may have been questioning when the team took Adams. They seem to love him though and that is what matters.

We will never know since DeCastro was on the board. It is something to wonder about though.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/23/steelers-would-have-taken-adams-in-round-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

Vis
05-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Steelers would have taken Adams in Round 1?

May 23rd, 2012

The Steelers got a gift when David DeCastro fell to them at pick 24 in the 2012 NFL Draft. DeCastro was a top 10 prospect but expected to fall into the teens because he is a guard. Pass rushers and cornerbacks passed him up on draft day and DeCastro continued to slip. The Steelers picked him up at #24 without hesitation.

What would have happened if DeCastro would have not been on the board? For most of us we would have been screaming Dont’a Hightower all the way. Many had Hightower as the Steelers pick heading into the draft. He was pretty much the concensus pick.

After seeing the Steelers reaction to Mike Adams I do not know if that would have been the case. The Steelers were extremely high on Adams. They had given him a first round grade. They had already looked past his character issues and wanted him on this team.

The Steelers were more then happy to get Adams in round 2. I think they may have also been more than happy to get Adams in round 1. It might sound crazy but I think the Steelers would have taken Adams at 24 if DeCastro was not available.

Look at how they are treating him right now. He is a second round pick who is expected to start at Left Tackle from day one. The Steelers barely ever start rookies and they sure as hell do not start second round blind side protectors unless absolutely neccesary. Yet Adams is basically being handed the job.

There is no real competition for him at that spot. Jonathan Scott is garbage. Trai Essex is a back up. Marcus Gilbert is now solidly on the right side since Colon moved to guard. This is Adams’ spot. There is no one who is going to take it away from him. He will have to blow it for him not to be the left tackle.

Since that is the case and Adams is getting the left tackle job and the Steelers believe he is the real deal then pick 24 does not seem to be a bad spot to grab a LT. While we all may have wanted Hightower to come in and play linebacker and fill the gap left by Farrior we may have been questioning when the team took Adams. They seem to love him though and that is what matters.

We will never know since DeCastro was on the board. It is something to wonder about though.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/23/steelers-would-have-taken-adams-in-round-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

How bad does Adams have to be to not be the starter? He has to be worse than what we have which is pretty bad.

The reasons the Steelers rarely start rookies is not because it's a philosophy, it's because the Steelers are usually loaded and taking a starters job is tough. That's not currently true at left tackle.

Hawaii 5-0
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
How bad does Adams have to be to not be the starter? He has to be worse than what we have which is pretty bad.

The reasons the Steelers rarely start rookies is not because it's a philosophy, it's because the Steelers are usually loaded and taking a starters job is tough. That's not currently true at left tackle.

you make a great point, having to only beat out Trai Essex and Jonathan Scott isn't gonna be that tough.

Steelersfan87
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Well thank you Dodens, all is well.

Glad we could bury the hatchet. :wave:

Fire Arians
05-23-2012, 04:56 PM

anyone who's true 1st round talent should be able to do it imo. hell, even 2nd round. gilbert after all kept jonathan scott on the bench even with a gimpy shoulder

tony hipchest
05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
can we get on to the dick jokes now?

tony dickcrest :chuckle:

:laughing:

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

What happens if rookie Mike Adams goes through training camp and cannot cut the mustard at left tackle?

Trai Essex? Jonathan Scott, who opened their last season, or Marcus Gilbert.

Gilbert was pegged to be the left tackle this season right up until the Steelers drafted Adams on the second round. Gilbert played left tackle at Florida his final year and both he and Tomlin have called it his more natural position.

“I’m naturally the left,’’ said Gilbert, who was put there in his rookie training camp. “When they moved me over to the right tackle, it took me a week or two to get back in the groove. I got the hang of things. It’s all about preparation and repetition.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116487-ed-keenan-lewis-predicts-pro-bowl-for-himself

Fire Arians
05-24-2012, 08:55 PM
THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

What happens if rookie Mike Adams goes through training camp and cannot cut the mustard at left tackle?

Trai Essex? Jonathan Scott, who opened their last season, or Marcus Gilbert.

Gilbert was pegged to be the left tackle this season right up until the Steelers drafted Adams on the second round. Gilbert played left tackle at Florida his final year and both he and Tomlin have called it his more natural position.

“I’m naturally the left,’’ said Gilbert, who was put there in his rookie training camp. “When they moved me over to the right tackle, it took me a week or two to get back in the groove. I got the hang of things. It’s all about preparation and repetition.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116487-ed-keenan-lewis-predicts-pro-bowl-for-himself

what i pretty much thought. if adams doesn't pan out, then gilbert will likely be the LT. essex/scott at RT would suck balls, but not nearly as bad as one of those guys protecting ben's blind side.

ricardisimo
05-25-2012, 12:05 AM

But left tackle is a special position. You have to understand that. I'm not saying that Adams shouldn't start... he might very well be our best option. But if your choice is a supremely talented rookie who will one day be great, but will in the meantime end the career of your franchise QB; or on the other hand some less-than-special bodies who will be called for holding a lot and not really do wonders for either the running game or the pass, but will keep Ben alive... it's a pretty easy choice, I think.

Now, that might not be the case at all. Adams could be win-win. Certainly this line can't give up MORE sacks than past years' lines, or could it?

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
5/24/12

Second-round pick Mike Adams isn’t able to take part in OTAs because of Ohio State’s class schedule, but that doesn’t mean football isn’t on his mind. Adams knows the most important thing right now is learning the playbook, but isn’t worried about making the adjustment from college to the NFL.

“At the end of the day it’s football,” said Adams. “There might be different terms we use in college, but at the end of the day it’s all football. For me, it’s just the game I love, so I don’t really look at it as a difficulty, but more as a challenge to myself to see how well I can master the offense, how quick I can do it so that I can get on the field and help this team.”

Adams would like nothing more than to step in right away and help protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but he also knows being a rookie he has to earn his stripes.

“I’m just trying to get my feet wet and try to start and contribute any way I can,” said Adams. “I want to be able to keep the quarterback clean and keep him producing back there, making plays, and everybody knows Ben makes plays. To just have the chance to protect him and do what I love to do is a great opportunity.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-ready-to-get-to-work-at-OTAs/40b91cf5-d4ee-40df-90db-d02ce3a86dc7

TheVet
05-25-2012, 04:22 AM
THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Well, that would be called "an upgrade."