PDA

View Full Version : Marquis Maze

Goldsteel86
05-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Just curious amongst the Steeler faithful, is there a possibility that Marquis Maze could make the 53 man roster? I kinda like the kid, I am really ecstatic about the draft and the personnel coming in, I think that Maze and Rainey may bring a different dimension to the Offense and Special Teams if given the chance.

steelbelieve
05-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Just curious amongst the Steeler faithful, is there a possibility that Marquis Maze could make the 53 man roster? I kinda like the kid, I am really ecstatic about the draft and the personnel coming in, I think that Maze and Rainey may bring a different dimension to the Offense and Special Teams if given the chance.

Athletic guy. As with the overwhelming majority of undrafted free agents, his survival will initially depend on his willingness and ability to make a difference on special teams. Hines Ward was the team's best special teams player two years running before he ever found the starting line up.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Only chance is if he makes it as the 6th receiver but i think that role is for Rainey.

BengalDestroyer
05-19-2012, 06:37 PM
I think he makes the 6th receiver spot...

Hawaii 5-0
05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I think he makes the 6th receiver spot...

I'm cheering for him, he certainly made a lot of big plays for Alabama throughout his career. for Maze to make this team he will need to make some special teams splash plays, meaning some long kickoff and punt returns in pre-season.

I think the biggest thing against Maze making the team is that we drafted Chris Rainey and he is also an excellent returner. Rainey can be a 3rd down back, KR, PR, and be our 6th WR thus saving a roster spot for another position.

Steelersfan87
05-19-2012, 09:37 PM
I think Maze has to make a better than Stefan Logan type of impact during the preseason to make the roster. I would think he has a decent chance for the practice squad though.

Galax Steeler
05-20-2012, 06:22 AM
I think Maze has to make a better than Stefan Logan type of impact during the preseason to make the roster. I would think he has a decent chance for the practice squad though.

Agreed I see Maze on the practice squad as well.

steelerchad
05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
won't the Steelers save a roster spot if the guy they brought in to long snap replaces Warren? That guy can also backup a line position in a pinch. Maybe this saves a spot for an extra wideout/special teamer.
Brown can't return kicks this year.

Hawaii 5-0
05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
won't the Steelers save a roster spot if the guy they brought in to long snap replaces Warren? That guy can also backup a line position in a pinch. Maybe this saves a spot for an extra wideout/special teamer.
Brown can't return kicks this year.

Antonio Brown won't be returning kicks this year, he is simply too valuable as a WR. this is one of the reasons why the Steelers drafted Chris Rainey who is a very good returner.

and i agree with a couple of the previous posters, Marquis Maze will be given every opportunity to make an impression as well and if he seizes his opportunities he has a chance of becoming the 6th WR or at the least make it onto our practice squad.

Kingmagyar
05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm pulling for Toney Clemons big time but there is no reason to think a guy (Maze) coming from a much bigger pro type college division and team would not be able to get the 5th spot over him. It will be a fierce battle for number 5, but since it is number 5 the Steelers may go with Clemons because of his height, size, speed.

Maze also surprisingly doesn't have a lot of TDs. 56 catches last year one TD. and I believe only 1 career TD on a punt return. Clemons had 8 TDs last year alone.

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Undrafted rookie receiver Marquis Maze was a playmaker at Alabama, but boy does he look small on that football field with the Steelers, who list him as 5-8, 186 pounds. Donít know how the quarterbacks find him. Chris Rainey is listed as 5-9, 180. Is there a spot for two smurfs on the Steelers offense?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116482-ed-essex-believes-adams-can-step-in