PDA

View Full Version : Another Day, Another Bengal Arrested

CantStop85
07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
http://www.700wlw.com/pages/localNews.html?feed=119585&article=595460

Bengals Tackle Tased

Askew arrested after allegedly resisting arrest.
By 700WLW News
Sunday, July 23, 2006

Another member of the Bengals is in trouble with the law.
Defensive Tackle Matthias Askew was tased and arrested Saturday night in South Cummingsville, after allegedly struggling with police.
Police say they contacted the 24-year-old over a parking violation, in the 3700 block of Beekman, around 8pm.
They say the 6'5", 302lb tackle refused to comply, and ran from officers. When they caught him, Askew was tased. He's been charged with obstruction, resisting arrest, and the parking violation.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 12:35 PM
:toofunny: :whip:

SteelShooter
07-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Bro! Are the Bengals and Santonio having a contest for the most preseason legal problems?

LMAO!

Jeremy
07-23-2006, 12:42 PM
What the hell is going on in the "Queen" City?

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 12:47 PM
What the hell is going on in the "Queen" City?

marvin lewis

SteelShooter
07-23-2006, 12:52 PM
marvin lewis

Touche'

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
i just thought of something. how does a 302 bengals lb dt think he is gonna outrun officers of the law? you know hes not conditionned just for the fact that hes a bungle.

what an idiot. im sure lewis drafted him for his wunderlic score.

Prosdo
07-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Man, what are all these players thinking. Someone needs to straighten them out.

boLT fan
07-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I got a good way to solve this Bengal arresting problem.

Take them to the Raiders and tell them, "If you keep this up, you'll be playing here the rest of your career"

No Bengals will ever be arrested again.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2006, 01:35 PM
So he attempts to run from the cops and they attempt to handcuff him after stopping by to talk about a parking violation(!), at which point he continues to resist and gets tasered?

Either this guy scored in single digits on the Wonderlic or there is more to be told about this latest Bengals encounter with the law.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
So he attempts to run from the cops and they attempt to handcuff him after stopping by to talk about a parking violation(!), at which point he continues to resist and gets tasered?

Either this guy scored in single digits on the Wonderlic or there is more to be told about this latest Bengals encounter with the law. cause you know he isnt worried about getting in trouble with the team or embarassing the franchise with a simple arrest. (that just doesnt happen in cinci) he just had to run long enough to throw his stash. im thinking it was coke. (probably more than an 8-ball)

CantStop85
07-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm hoping this ends the competition for the last DT spot on the roster...I didn't want Askew before when he was just lazy and I don't want him now after he was dumb enough to run from a parking violation.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
im thinking lewis wants him though and thinks hes a key piece to beating the steelers.

BlackNGold203
07-23-2006, 02:36 PM
im thinking lewis wants him though and thinks hes a key piece to beating the steelers.

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

MNsteelers
07-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Yeah, bad news, though....Willie Parker is more than likely faster than your average Cincinnati law enforcement official. Granted, Willie doesn't have a taser on him, but...

Seriously though, this almost isn't even funny anymore. I will conceed that due to the Bengals recent off-field recreational choices, the media were going to jump all over him even if it was for a parking violation or whatever, and I'll bet he'll use that in his plea to the judge. It's probably just going to boil down to a fine for the illegal parking thing, with the prosecutors dropping the other charges.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
i bet they had to use a cattle prod to taze his fat lazy ass.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
too many thugs in the NFL.....
The NFL needs to clean up the players......start fining players for things they do wrong...
or suspend them....
And for the bigger offenses they should be kicked out of football....
Dont care who they are!!!!!

Ambridge
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
i bet they had to use a cattle prod to taze his fat lazy ass.

What a dumb "Ass"kew

My brother inlaw is a Virginia police officer and part of his Taser Training was to be actually zapped with the Taser Gun....he said of his experience that he would have preferred getting beat for several minutes with a Nightstick instead.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
What a dumb "Ass"kew

My brother inlaw is a Virginia police officer and part of his Taser Training was to be actually zapped with the Taser Gun....he said of his experience that he would have preferred getting beat for several minutes with a Nightstick instead. several of my "inlaws" are cops. we were partying one night and one stopped by while on duty. i let him hit me with the stun gun in the thigh (not the ones that shoot out the springs and hooks). very interresting to say the least.

it kinda hurts.

BBC
07-23-2006, 06:44 PM
start fining players for things they do wrong...
or suspend them....

How about actually putting them in jail when they break the law? They don't care about fines or suspensions, they're still making millions...to put it in Randy Moss' words "It's just pocket change to [them]".

Ambridge
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM
How about actually putting them in jail when they break the law? They don't care about fines or suspensions, they're still making millions...to put it in Randy Moss' words "It's just pocket change to [them]".

Exactly!!

You must be talking about that thing called Personal Accountability.
It's sad to see these guy bring in their lawyers and get a plea deal that penalizes them ony with a stupid fine, probation and/or community service.

It's a joke.

silver & black
07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
I got a good way to solve this Bengal arresting problem.

Take them to the Raiders and tell them, "If you keep this up, you'll be playing here the rest of your career"

No Bengals will ever be arrested again.
Nah, they would just start getting arrested on purpose then.:sofunny:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Fame and forutne can get you in and out of anything

BB2W
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
He probabaly ran due to legal advise given to him by Chris Henry. The police are lucky he didn't have his gun with him.

BlackNGold203
07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
He probabaly ran due to legal advise given to him by Chris Henry. The police are lucky he didn't have his gun with him.

LMAO....

Cmon..you know he was either carrying...or up to something....

stillers4me
07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Definitely more to this than they are telling...........or else they guy is a complete idiot.

They'll have to add a new administrative addition just to keep track of the court date for these clowns.

CantStop85
07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
or else they guy is a complete idiot.
Bingo.

BB2W
07-23-2006, 10:31 PM
I thought I just read something about this guy the other day, here it is...

Frustration and Mathias Askew have gone hand in hand the past two years. The Bengals drafted Askew, a 300-plus-pound defensive tackle, in 2004 out of Michigan State with the first of three picks they owned in the fourth round.

Askew entered the draft a year early, forgoing his senior season at Michigan State when he figured the staff there had worn on him enough and visa versa. He's played in just six games and made seven tackles in his two seasons with the Bengals, set back by his youth and injury.

Even before the Bengals began their offseason conditioning program in April, Askew was at Paul Brown Stadium sweating through workouts and drills and watching film. After two years, he knows the reality of life in the NFL.

"It's more on myself," said Askew about his future employment opportunities in Cincinnati. "If apparently I'm not doing something right, is it my ability? If it's my ability then it's something I'm not doing right. I looked at myself and I've changed a lot of my habits, changed how I prepare for practice and things like that. I don't look at the coaches that way. I understand that. I understand the business part of it."

link: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060722/SPT03/607220359/1035/SPT

BBC
07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
changed how I prepare for practice and things like that.

Yep, now he runs from Police (unsuccessfully, I might add) to get ready for practice.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Definitely more to this than they are telling...........or else they guy is a complete idiot.

They'll have to add a new administrative addition just to keep track of the court date for these clowns.
:chuckle:

MattsMe
07-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Maybe we should just start one thread about Bungles in trouble with the law, and sticky it. I'm not sure the board's servers can handle the load of individual threads for each player anymore. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
07-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Maybe we should just start one thread about Bungles in trouble with the law, and sticky it. I'm not sure the board's servers can handle the load of individual threads for each player anymore. :sofunny:aahhhh. thats why the board has been so slow lately.

SteelerzGirl
07-24-2006, 02:53 AM
So what kind of parking violation was it? Did he block a fire hydrant in front of a known meth lab?

Geesh... The Bengals might as well just throw all their players in jail and start from scratch, beginning w/their coach. They'd probably be better off at this point. What a laughingstock that team is turning out to be.

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 09:39 AM
The Bengals certainly are turning into one gigantic cluster-fook. :shake02: The cop's hand probably went numb trying to tazer that beefalo enough to get him down.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 09:57 AM

I think it's both. People don't run from the police because of a simple parking violation. Just another bum sporting a Bengal uniform.

lilyoder6
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
the thing i hate is that players get off easy when they do somethin wrong. and if a normal citizen did what they do they are in jail for a while... like ricky williams doin drugs and got caught 3-4 times and still playing fottball. if a normal person got caught they would lose there job and be put in jail for a while. and they don't get a 2nd chance at there job and have to start over and most companies don't like ppl with drug problems.. evry one on the bengals who are gettin in trouble will be back mid way of the season like nothin ever happened.

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 03:25 PM
the thing i hate is that players get off easy when they do somethin wrong. and if a normal citizen did what they do they are in jail for a while... like ricky williams doin drugs and got caught 3-4 times and still playing fottball. if a normal person got caught they would lose there job and be put in jail for a while. and they don't get a 2nd chance at there job and have to start over and most companies don't like ppl with drug problems.. evry one on the bengals who are gettin in trouble will be back mid way of the season like nothin ever happened.

Pro athletes are just like Hollywood's finest, unfortunately. Money, power and who you know or who you.....well, you know the rest.

CantStop85
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Interview with Marvin Lewis over some of the "character issues":
Lewis: Henry will stay
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis answered questions with The Enquirer late this morning before conducting an online chat with Cincinnati.com.

Here are some excerpts from The Enquirer?s interview with the fourth-year Bengals coach.

Read more in Tuesday's Enquirer.

Question: Are you looking forward to camp this year more than other years and just getting back to football?

Answer: Well, you always look forward to training camp. It?s no different this year. I think every year you look forward to doing football, no more this year than the first year (2003). I?ve always said you look forward to the part of the year that?s football.

Q: How trying has this been offseason been to you?

A: It?s not been any more trying other than the questions about (quarterback) Carson?s (Palmer) health. I don?t think anything else has been different than we?ve dealt with the other offseasons.

I think time and time again, it?s part of the NFL; it?s part of the overall fact that people want to know. There are a lot of ways to gather information these days. There are a lot of competitive groups gathering information.

Sometimes, the perception is not always good for my job. Or their need for information, and the perceived message isn?t necessarily consistent with what?s going on.

Q: You are the face and voice of the Bengals organization. You?ve taken a lot of heat this year. Is that blame deserved?

A: I?ve not done anything wrong. But if I am (taking blame), then it?s deserved. Being the one who is the head coach, that?s fine. You take the good and the bad, it?s all part of it.?

Q: Do you and team president Mike Brown agree on every draft pick? Word is out there among people in the league that Mike made the selection of linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. True or false?

A: Ahmad has been great to work with. We?ve spent 10 days with him, whatever it has been. He has been fabulous to have, and he has the opportunity to prove that he can be an outstanding NFL player.

Q: So you agreed with Mike Brown and are happy to have Brooks here?

A: Very happy to have him here.

Q: Will Chris Henry be with the team when he is medically cleared from his knee injury?

A: Yeah, he should have no problems once he is medically cleared. But he has some things pending. We?ll see how that all comes down for him.

As I said earlier, with these guys, they?re facing some things bigger than what I have to worry about. They have a long road to cover and a chance to see what happens from there.

Q: Have you heard anything from the league about Odell Thurman?s four-game suspension for the second violation of the substance abuse policy?

A: There has been no correspondence about Odell, so you guys (media) are way ahead of us.

Q: With the most recent arrest over the weekend of Matthias Askew (resisting arrest, obstruction of police business, two traffic violations), you and your team and organization are taking a lot of heat nationally. Is that deserved? Does that bother you? Does it diminish what you?ve tried to do?

A: What it comes down to is Matthias feels he was wronged. He?ll have his day.

HburgXL06
07-24-2006, 05:33 PM
So CS85, I'm curious how you are feelin bout all of this. What are your thoughts?

BuFu

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Good job Marvin..........

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/schultz_180.jpg "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!!!"

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 06:24 PM
http://artsound.encode.net.au/res/Image/AUDIO%20SERVICES/hear%20no%20evil%2098k.jpg

CantStop85
07-24-2006, 07:30 PM
So CS85, I'm curious how you are feelin bout all of this. What are your thoughts?

BuFu
Well, I don't believe in astrology...but if I did, I'd think that all of the planets of stupidity have perfectly aligned and cast a shadow on the town of Cincinnati.

Some of this you can blame on the coaches, some of this you just have to blame on the players. Who knew Matthias Askew was going to run from the police because of a parking violation? I don't really care about Askew, he couldn't even break into the active roster last year when a couple of guys were hurt. I don't know what he was trying to prove by running from the cops...maybe that he's not as lazy anymore? :dang:

Chris Henry I believe is a troubled kid who just always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of all the things he's done, there aren't any that indicate to me that he couldn't turn his life around with a bit of discipline.

AJ Nicholson...still a mystery somewhat. From what I can gather from the stories, his incident may have been more about a bitter roommate trying to get some payback than Nicholson actually robbing someone.

Odell Thurman...I love this guy, but a couple of times he showed up late to practice last year and had to come off the bench because of it. Now he's suspended for 4 games for either missing or failing drug tests...I'm glad...maybe he'll learn to be a little more responsible in that time period.

Ahmad Brooks...since the weed incidents a few years ago I've heard nothing but good things about this kid (besides about his college days). He's gotten in great shape and is already working hard. There are even rumors he could get a few starts this year. I'm pumped about him...I'm just hoping he put his drug days behind him.

Frostee Rucker...I think he's a waste of a draft pick. He wasn't talented enough to be a 3rd rounder and he definitely wasn't smart enough. I don't want any guys on my team who are lazy and beat women.

Marvin Lewis...He's a great coach, but his confidence could be his downfall. He believes he can take any player with enough talent and turn them into a good player. Yet, there's no questioning what an attitude change he brought to the Bengals organization. The organization expects to win now...even if that means spending a few bucks and taking a few gambles.

Overall, I think this has been a pretty good offseason overshadowed by a few players' mistakes. We've gotten Jeremi Johnson, Bobbie Williams, Carson Palmer, and Chad Johnson all extended. We've brought in Sam Adams, Dexter Jackson, and Antonio Chatman to fill the biggest gaps from last season without breaking the bank and giving us enough money to extend Levi Jones and/or Eric Steinbach before the end of the season.

By the time the season starts, most of this will have blown over...some of the players in question might not even make the roster. Even then, only one starter (Odell Thurman) has been affected. Given a healthy Carson Palmer, I think you'll see an even better team than last year. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon just yet. :blurp:

SteelerzGirl
07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I found this posted on another site regarding this incident...

"Hamilton County Sheriff's deputies confirm that Bengal's Defensive Tackle Matthias Askew was arrested Saturday night, and brought to the Justice Center. Cincinnati Police say that Askew was approached by police about a parking violation in the 3700 block of Beekman. Police say that Askew was parked in a "no parking" zone and his vehicle was parked on the sidewalk. When he was approached by officers, Police say he assumed a fighting stance and then ran. Police tased him when he was captured. He is charged with obstruction and resisting arrest. That's on top of the parking violations-parking in violation of a posted sign and parking on the sidewalk. Deputies say that Askew was released from the Justice Center Sunday morning."

Askew was parked in a "no parking" zone and his vehicle was parked on the sidewalk? Huh? :sofunny:

CantStop85
07-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Askew was parked in a "no parking" zone and his vehicle was parked on the sidewalk? Huh? :sofunny:
He probably lost his breath while walking from his car and had to sit down...the cops probably mistook his fat ass for a car.

lilyoder6
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
i know why would a 305 pound person try to run away from the police

CantStop85
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Well..take it for what it's worth:
Askew might sue

By GEOFF HOBSON
July 23, 2006

Updated: 7-24-06, 3:30 p.m.

After a hospital visit to check his heart following Saturday?s Tasing by Cincinnati police, Bengals defensive tackle Matthias Askew is mulling a lawsuit.

?It?s an option, but we?re looking to get the quickest court date possible,? said attorney Ken Lawson on Monday after he entered a plea of not guilty for obstruction of police business, resisting arrest and two parking violations for his client.

Lawson disputed a police report that said Askew threatened officers and tried to run away after illegally parking his car on a Cumminsville street in front of an outdoor booth selling CDs.

?When he was told police wanted him to move his car, he put down his CDs because he hadn?t bought them yet and got in his car and went forward to move it,? Lawson said. ?Then they told him to get out of the car with his hands up. I would argue he no longer had a parking violation because he took the offer to move it.?

Lawson said police overreacted when they stunned the 6-6, 310-pound Askew at least three times because all he did was pull his wrist away when he was surprised that handcuffs were being used. He also said Askew was Tased while kneeling on the ground and handcuffed.

?He didn?t flee,? Lawson said.

Lawson said paramedics examined Askew and since his heart beat continued to race moments after he was Tased, he was transported to University Hospital.

?He was able to leave the hospital after getting checked and he didn?t feel much from it today,? Lawson said. ?The big thing is his health because that?s how he makes his living.

?I know people are out there saying that the Bengals have bad guys, but they?re not all bad guys,? he said. ?I think this is a case of overreaction. The first red flag is somebody getting Tased over a parking ticket.?

Askew became the fourth Bengal arrested in the offseason. The Associated Press reported that when officers tried to handcuff Askew after he refused to move his car, they Tasered him when he broke away. Askew, who was also charged with obstructing official business, didn?t identify himself when asked, according to the AP.

The Bengals don't comment on arrests.

Head coach Marvin Lewis has already said that wide receiver Chris Henry, facing a suspension with four arrests since Dec. 15, has a battle to make the team. Plus, since he missed all of the spring camp recovering from his knee injury, he could miss the first six games of the season if the club decides to put him on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. A suspension would cost him at least four more games.

Rookie linebacker A.J. Nicholson, facing grand theft and vandalism charges, also has to grind to make the team after the Bengals selected Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

Third-round pick Frostee Rucker, the defensive end from USC, is also looking at a vandalism charge as well as spousal battery.

Askew, who left Michigan State a year early for the 2004 draft, has never realized the potential the Bengals hoped to tap when they took him as a project in the fourth round. Because of injuries and not impressing the coaches in practice, Askew has played in only a handful of games. He played in only one last year, the regular-season finale that the Bengals didn?t have to win to make the playoffs.

Now with the signing of three-time Pro Bowler Sam Adams, the emergence of Shaun Smith, and the drafting of another Michigan State tackle in the fourth round (Domata Peko), Askew is embroiled in a roster battle.

tony hipchest
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
chris henry is one broken condom away from being the next rae carruth. (and thats giving him way to much credit for even strapping one on.)

BBC
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Well..take it for what it's worth:

Cincy police have had a record of not doing what they're supposed to, don't they?

CantStop85
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Cincy police have had a record of not doing what they're supposed to, don't they?
I don't know first-hand, but that's what I've always heard.

CantStop85
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
One less criminal to worry about...Matthias Askew was officially cut today.