PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter AFC North Special- on now

tony hipchest
05-22-2012, 07:02 PM
tune in to the hour long show breaking down last years most dominant division.

TRH
05-22-2012, 07:04 PM
ya beat me to it.
Show starting off with some digs at the Steelers already. Surprise, surprise. Sheez.

TRH
05-22-2012, 07:10 PM
How many times can analyst Bill Polian say "Pittsburgh has taken a big step back" this year (when discussing which teams are improved) and point out "how old the defense is..".
He's said it 3 times in the 1st 9 minutes of the damn show..........

So far, after almost 30 minutes, they should have titled the show "the Baltimore Raven's preview special" instead of "AFC North".

Fire Arians
05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
How many times can analyst Bill Polian say "Pittsburgh has taken a big step back" this year (when discussing which teams are improved) and point out "how old the defense is..".
He's said it 3 times in the 1st 9 minutes of the damn show..........

So far, after almost 30 minutes, they should have titled the show "the Baltimore Raven's preview special" instead of "AFC North".

i think we are going to surprise many people this year. this team is no longer old. there's young bodies everywhere except safety

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2012, 07:54 PM
I do not have TV access

Are the Steelers picked to finish ahead of that surging Browns team?

Sharkissle29
05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
unreal...all 3 pick the steelers to place 3rd in the division behind baltimore and the bengals. what a joke

Hawaii 5-0
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
unreal...all 3 pick the steelers to place 3rd in the division behind baltimore and the bengals. what a joke

love it, the Steelers always respond well to the role of underdogs...:tt02:

stlr4life07
05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Okay i try to watch espn with a open mind, but after the AFCN special i am done. With bill polian saying are defense is to old, herm edwards to much change, and that Dude agreeing. Are the experts do the see Football, Ravens hello ray lewis ed reed OLD, suggs out. UGH picked steelers third....can not wait for the season to start to prove these blow hards wrong.

Atlanta Dan
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM

So Suggs probably is out for the year, Reed may retire, Ray Lewis will soon be eligible for Social Security and the Ravens play New England & Houston, which means Baltimore will finish ahead of the Steelers?

Got it

Vis
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Okay i try to watch espn with a open mind, but after the AFCN special i am done. With bill polian saying are defense is to old, herm edwards to much change, and that Dude agreeing. Are the experts do the see Football, Ravens hello ray lewis ed reed OLD, suggs out. UGH picked steelers third....can not wait for the season to start to prove these blow hards wrong.

Biased and wrong aren't the same. I'm worried about the D and I'm a third generation diehard fan.

Sharkissle29
05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
So Suggs probably is out for the year, Reed may retire, Ray Lewis will soon be eligible for Social Security and the Ravens play New England & Houston, which means Baltimore will finish ahead of the Steelers?

Got it

Exactly. And our defense is still considered old? Don't mind the addition of hood, heyward, taamu, spence, worlids, ALL DB's other than Taylor...Maybe a bit unproven, but our defense is significantly younger.

The only place we need to get younger is the safety position.

Ravens D = all seem to oddly be declining in age, it is a miracle!

stlr4life07
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
The have no clue, we have the most offensive talent in are divsion, we have tons of youth on defense mixed in with vets, and have improved are offensive line imensly, espn has a bias against the steelers. Steelers have more talent then any team in are divsion, and todd haley will make this offense more explosive.

TRH
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
i don't know that i'd call it bias, but Polian sure had it out for us. You would think our defense was in their 70's or 80's after listening to him, picked us to finish 3rd in the division (which all 3 analysts did, BTW....), then to top it off, said Tomlin was the coach under the most pressure this year.....which is totally absurd and ridiculous as Pat Shurmur over in Cleveland has 1000X the pressure on him that Tomlin has.

I do get your point somewhat though.....the Steelers, arguably America's most popular team, get far less coverage on ESPN than the Colts, Ravens, Jets, Pats, and many other teams. Considering the teams level of popularity, yes, you would think they would get much more, but i almost get the sense that their team over on ESPN want to see Pittsburgh fail.
I was watching the other day, and they were discussing last years 49ers/Steelers game and the woman afternoon anchor (her name is slipping me right now) basically said "why don't Ben and the Steelers be quiet...the 49ers are just bad-a**". I thought it was ignorant, but its par for the course.

There are a few people i see that are more than fair to us. Herm Edwards usually is. Jon Gruden is. Merril Hoge, of course is.

TRH
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Not only did they say we would finish 3rd, but Polian went out of his way, numerous times, to say we took a few steps backward.
They also mistakenly kept pointing out that our linemen top 2 drafts were for the run game, when both ownership and coaching for our team has continually pointed out that its to protect Ben and that we WILL be likely passing as much...if not more.

We'll prove them wrong once again. I think they OVER rated the Ravens. They acted like the team was full of super heroes.

Fire Arians
05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
adolf goodell said he was going to suspend any analyst who talked good about the steelers

Sharkissle29
05-22-2012, 08:44 PM
I really like Jon Gruden as an analyst....tells it exactly how it is. i agree with him almost 100% of the time, even if it involves some bashing of the Steelers....it is normally warranted.

wera176
05-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Haters gotta hate...

Besides, after the first game last season (which was a beat down, no question) the analysts and so-called experts were falling all over themselves to call the Steeler's D "slow and old." Remind me, I'm getting old myself, where did they finish in the overall D catagory? 31? 10? Oh yeah, I remember.... Number Freakin' One :helmet:

If that D was slow and old, I'll take it every year

:tt04:

Steelersfan87
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I found Polian's stance on the Steelers particularly peculiar. It almost sounded as though he is genuinely biased against them.

stlr4life07
05-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Look i bleed black and gold, and i will call them out as needed, but third place is a freaking joke considering the ravens are. As old if not older on defense, bengals are unproven. And as far as talent no team in the division is ad talented as us especially offensive ly ...

stlr4life07
05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Just wondering did the rooneys or colbert anger mr polian and anyway, after watching the afc north special he honestly say not one good thing about the steelers.

Ricco Suavez
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Do I believe the Steelers will finish first in the division, yes. Do I believe we have a good chance of going deep in the playoffs, yes. Do I see us winning a seventh SuperBowl, yes.

Do I see a good young team coming off a good season in the Bengals, yes. Did they have what many consider a great draft, yes. Did the Ravens win the division last year, yes. Did they sweep my Steelers for only the second or third time since their inception in Baltimore, yes.

Do I fear we are getting old in key defensive positions, yes. Am I worried that the new offense may take an adjustment period, yes. Could we finish third in what many consider the toughest division in the NFL, sadly yes.

Biased or not there are valid points to these analysts arguments, this season could be very interesting. Am I ready for some Steeler football, HELL YEA.

TRH
05-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I really like Jon Gruden as an analyst....tells it exactly how it is. i agree with him almost 100% of the time, even if it involves some bashing of the Steelers....it is normally warranted.

Gruden's awesome. They need more like him instead of all the other guy's who basically just kiss everyone's a**.
Gruden usually has nothing but great things to say about us...it appears as if he genuinely likes our franchise.

TRH
05-22-2012, 11:03 PM
It wasn't as if he said anything particularly bad about us..............but when they were talking about which teams improved he kept saying over and over that we "not only didn't improve, but took a few steps back", which i really didn't agree with. And he acted like our defense are senior citizens when Baltimore's Reed and Lewis are both older than Troy and Suggs is out for most of the year.
Didn't make sense.

TRH
05-22-2012, 11:07 PM
oh yeah, i forgot....they also made a crack at Redman which p***ed me off. They started talking about how we were going to run the ball and one them (can't remember who...), said "i expect Redman to play almost as good as a...........well.... a # 2 back". Thats right, almost as good as a number 2.
I thought that was a low blow saying he wasn't even good enough to be a number 2, when last year he played like a legitimate # 1 back.

OX1947
05-22-2012, 11:26 PM
He is still pissed about the divisional playoff game in 2005-06...

Steelerfreak58
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
12-4 last year with the #1 Rated Defense that is old and slow.... hmmm

Ok I will take that old slow defense any day...

We addressed a huge area of weakness with our OL. If we cut the REDZONE offense from 24th in the league to 12th we are in the SB this year.

Talking heads are just that....

tanda10506
05-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Unfortunately we all just got suckered into giving a few idiots our ratings. A 12-4 team who addressed it's only two real weaknesses took a step back? Wow, I guess losing your #2 WR, best DE, a starting LOLB, and a starting Guard to FA while having your best horse faced pass rusher out for most of the season is a step forward? Seriously, I understand they are just "talking heads" but to say we took a step back is about the most inaccurate thing they could have came up with. I think the Bengals improved ALMOST as much as we did and could be a threat, and even though the Ravens will be missing Suggs and all the players they lost to FA they still will likely be in the mix, so I can understand how a Steeler hater or just a non fan could come up with us at 3rd somehow, but to say we stepped back after one of the best drafts of any NFL team recently is just stupid. As mentioned, I am sure he is still soar from 2005-06 but I just didn't expect such obvious nonsense.

Hawaii 5-0
05-23-2012, 02:52 AM
ESPN Heads Say Steelers Finish 3rd In AFC North Because Of Too Much Change

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 by Dave Bryan

ESPN had their special 2012 AFC North preview show Tuesday and it included the division predictions of Herm Edwards, Bill Polian and Marcellus Wiley at the end of the show. Both Edwards and Wiley have the Baltimore Ravens winning the division while Polian has the Cincinnati Bengals winning it in 2012. All three had the Pittsburgh Steelers finishing third and the Cleveland Browns finishing last. Wiley did preface his pick of the Steelers finishing behind the Bengals by saying that the two will tie record wise and that the Bengals get the second spot due to tie-breakers.

The common theme heading into last season was that the Steelers were too old. Warren Sapp reminded us of this almost weekly on the NFL Network. This year the common theme seems to be that the Steelers have too much change. Well how are the Steelers expected to not be too old without change? Also did these three top notch analyst not look at the change that the Ravens have had this off-season?

Let's start with the Steelers change first. Their released players were Arnaz Battle, James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward. That is quite a bit of oldness lopped off right there alone. Smith and Ward have since retired while the other names on the list are still without jobs. The contracts of Jamon Meredith, Chris Hoke, Dennis Dixon, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks were all up at the end of 2012 season. Hoke retired and only Meredith, a player that didn't even see a snap for the Steelers on offense last year, is the only player on that list of names that has latched on elsewhere. Rashard Mendenhall and Casey Hampton both are unlikely to be ready by the start of the regular season, but both will play at some point. The other change for the Steelers? New offensive coordinator Todd Haley replaces Bruce Arians.

Now let's look at the change the Ravens have had this offseason. Veteran Domonique Foxworth was the only player released and he ended the 2012 season on the injured reserve list. Ricky Williams retired. Chris Carr, Lee Evans, Ben Grubbs, Jarret Johnson, Brandon McKinney, Haruki Nakamura, Cory Redding and Tom Zbikowski were all free agents that have since signed elsewhere this off-season. Andre Gurode, Edgar Jones, Kris Wilson and Matt Lawrence were all free agents that have yet to latch on elsewhere. Other changes for the Ravens? Dean Pees was promoted from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator to replace Chuck Pagano, who left to become the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Former Colts head coach Jim Caldwell was hired as the new quarterbacks coach and replaces Jim Zorn. If the above is not enough for the Ravens in the change department, they will be without the services of Terrell Suggs for most of, if not all of, the regular season.

Seems like the Ravens also still have some age on their roster as well as Matt Birk will be 36 before the season starts Ed Reed will be 34 at the start of the season and Ray Lewis turned 37 earlier this month. Another starter, Bryant McKinnie, will turn 33 just after the season starts. I guess they are not old though in the eyes of the network talking heads.

This post might seem like sour grapes because the Steelers were ranked third by all three in the division across the board, but it is not. I can stomach the third place ranking if the reasoning behind it holds some sort of water. I too think the Bengals will be an improved team in 2012 that very well could compete in the division, and the Ravens and the Steelers are always front runners in the North. To merely say that the Steelers will finsish third because they had too much change when the Ravens have also had considerable change themselves is foolish and very narrow analysis. Sure the Steelers offensive line will likely consist of three new starters in Willie Colon, David DeCastro and Mike Adams, but if you think the new combination can be any worse than the last few years, you obviously have not watched many games. That change is well needed and for the better, even if it includes two top-rated rookies.

This is the kind of top notch analysis though that we have come to expect from the big E over the years though. If you watch ESPN for anything other than news and highlights, you really should consider a change yourself. A change of the channel.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/espn-heads-say-steelers-finish-3rd-in-afc-north-because-of-too-much-change/

pete74
05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
someone will have to bump this post come late december so we can remember what the idiots over at espn said.

Galax Steeler
05-23-2012, 05:31 AM
someone will have to bump this post come late december so we can remember what the idiots over at espn said.

Yea espn never like us we are always underdogs from what they say but we always seem to prove them wrong.:doh:

steelfury02
05-23-2012, 08:13 AM
it retrospect I'm glad I could only catch the last 5 minutes - as soon as my wife and I saw the Steelers at 3rd place on everyone's list we turned to each other and said "Just the way we want it."

Steelers will stay humble and you better believe some of those players are already feeling disrespected. I wouldn't be shocked to see them run of a string of victories to start the year. I really believe Peyton Manning is going to have an uncomfortable start to his return lol

MDSteel15
05-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Who is worse: ESPN or NFL Network? ESPN is all over New England and Dallas' balls and NFLN are so stupid I quit watching them 2 years ago!

Kingmagyar
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
NFL network pays the Steelers a ton of respect at least every time I watch them and I watch them a lot They also bash Flacco way more then he deserves which I love.

And expect a lot of media to love the Cincinnati Bengals this year, but the truth is they were 9-7 last year and they beat one team with a winning record and that was 9-7 Tennessee. And I still think Marvin Lewis couldn't coach his way out of paper bag. They have miles to go to get to that next level.

The tragic loss the Ravens suffered in the AFC Championship game last season (I never laughed so hard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv_6YREBl68

and previous years' disappointments could very well break their drive. It doesn't hurt Suggs is out for I believe the whole regular season as well. Their O-line is nothing to get excited about either.

How fast the Steelers' offense can get it together will be the key to the season.

TRH
05-23-2012, 11:00 AM
the Bengals appear to be ESPN's "new love".

After listening to some good 'ol ESPN, you would think the Bengals were the second coming of Christ and that their draft was the best in the history of the game.
I bet they are pretty good this year, but it will be a big "i told you so" by every one here when they lose this one, or don't do this, or don't do that, or somebody gets hurt, etc, etc, etc. Its proven over and over and over again.
Not saying they will suck, but we know what happens. History proves it. Always.
I don't get the "Cowboy" love either. Someone in upper management over there is obviously a fan. They are another team that notoriously loses and shoots themselves in the foot.
Once again.....we will find ways to win and our "not-so-sexy", but great draft will make analysts eat crow...again.

OX1947
05-23-2012, 11:56 AM
YAWWWWN, the disrespect card, god, do people ever get (bleep) tired of the same stupid shit?

truesteelerfan
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't stand watching the NFL Network other than for Steelers games - anything that pads Goodells pockets I try to abstain from.

Vis
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
I can't stand watching the NFL Network other than for Steelers games - anything that pads Goodells pockets I try to abstain from.

So you don't support any NFL teams. Why are you here?

pancake
05-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Steelers always play better with a chip on their shoulder. So if this disrespect card works for them, then great! Myself, I'm looking forward to another great season... Go Steelers!!!!

:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Analyst Clowns Place Steelers Third In AFC North

May 23rd, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/dm_120522_afc_north_predictions.jpeg?e98d57

Jag’ville is a fairly populated place these days. Well three new citizens signed up for their residency cards today when they decided to place the Steelers as placing third in the AFC North. Who, you may ask, are these lucky clowns? Herman Edwards, Marcellus Wiley and Bill Polian.

ESPN, fishing from a very dry well of analyst talent, brought these three clown on to do predictions – well before any completion of OTA’s or training camp. I have no problems with predictions. We do them here all the time – mainly for fun and to stir conversation. What’s really annoying with these three jags is the air of authority with which they speak – no surprise there. But we should all really know by now the predictive prowess of Edwards, Wiley, and Polian, right? Masters of the crystal ball.

So what was the big reason why they consistently placed the Ravens and the Bengals over the Steelers?

Change.

Yes. That’s right. Change. If you just asked yourself, ‘Of what?’ you, my friend, you are already light years ahead of these three magnificent boneheads. Aside from losing Ward, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu, and Willie Gay, the team is is mainly intact from last season. Let’s look at that for a sec…..

Ward: Retired after team DIDN’T WANT HIM BACK. Production was that of a 3rd or 4th receiver. No big deal

Smith: A fairly big hit to the defensive line.

Hoke: A great backup who, with the combo of losing Smith, makes it a bigger loss.

Farrior: The defensive leader of the team in the locker room. Production wasn’t that great, and is replaceable.

Kemoeatu: Worthless from day one. It was already like he wasn’t playing on the team. So no loss there.

Gay: The #2 corner. Which Gay was going to show up this year, nobody knew.

So in essence, the Steelers lost 2-3 significant contributors to their team. And, that all of a sudden means that they go from 12-4 and placing 2nd (only after losing a tiebreaker to the Ravens) to 3rd in the division? Where in the hell is the logic in that? Where’s the big change they speak of? It’s crazy. If anything, the Steelers went through some huge changes after the draft was over, and it was a change for the better. If anything, the Steelers improved their chances significantly in winning the AFC North. The team addressed some significant needs on the offensive and defensive lines, as well as added depth to linebacker and running back.

I’m no homer, and I always call it the way I see it. Even if that means having to dig into the Black and Gold a bit to prove a point. There’s no way the Steelers have been shaken up in a negative way that causes this team to falter. I think what these ‘boys’ are really banking on is the new offensive schemes of Todd Haley no jiving well with an offense that had visions of bubble screens in their dreams on a nightly basis. Yes, the team will have its bumps and bruises over the course of the season. At times it won’t look pretty. But, the Steelers know how to win and still have a defense mainly in tact that will always give them a chance at winning no matter what the offense is like.

Lastly, there was mention of Tomlin being on the hot seat this season. Excuse me while I grab my list entitled ‘Most Asinine Things People Say.’ Tomlin, as his two predecessors proved before him, has proven to be a strong coach and knows how to run a football team. Seems like Stooges Inc. (Edwards, Wiley and Polian) needs a refresher on their Steelers history. The Steelers just don’t drop coaches after a stumble. Tomlin’s won a Super Bowl since arriving. They’ve made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons and Super Bowls twice since Tomlin joined the team. Hot seat? I think not clowns gentlemen. Oh it should also be noted that the Steelers don’t usually can their guys after one bad season. They gave Cowher a contract extension after the team went 6-10 the previous season. So yeah… there’s that.

Quick get these guys some different drugs. I think they just announced that they think Colt McCoy is going to win the league MVP because he ‘deserves’ it after so much adversity.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/23/analyst-clowns-place-steelers-third-in-afc-north/

TRH
05-24-2012, 08:17 AM
they cited "change" and our "aging, old defense" as the reasons we'll slip back.

That said, i dont' think Herm Edwards is a clown. He's usually easily the most insightful and usually will say good things about Pittsburgh and be fair and balanced amongst all teams....negative or positive.

Wiley is a terrible analyst, i don't know why they hired him on. He stares at the camera almost befuddled, while at times repeating what someone else has already said. A good example of a network hiring another ex-jock when so many better, more talented journalist types are out there not getting their chance because of an ex-player on the show.
Polian, while insightful and interesting, has a sneaky demeanor that usually refuses to discuss "too much Pittsburgh" in a positive light..
The other guy they use (Chris Mortensen) who didn't participate in this show, also gives alot of respect and favorable time to Pittsburgh. He's usually fair across the board. I like listening to him. So i like Mortensen and Edwards, but the other 2 not so much.

The show would have been much more interesting if it was Edwards, Mortensen, and Gruden doing the show.

FrancoLambert
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Re: The Talking Heads :blah:
We all know the quote, "opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one."
They talk, they fill time, they pontificate. Means shit. :blah:
Based on the draft the Bengals look to be stronger and on the come. Let's hope Marvin Lewis works his "magic" with them.
I honestly think the Ravens have more issues than we do. They lost a lot in free agency, their defense is getting old in key spots, Suggs is out :thumbsup:, and hopefully Rice's contract issue drags on.
As for us taking "a step back." No way.
Our weakest unit by far, the OL, is much improved on paper. :applaudit:
A new, dynamic, and creative OC should improve the O a great deal especially in the red zone where we sucked under BA.
Actually I like the fact they're showing us little respect. It's a great motivator and it usually provides an edge when you set out to prove the "experts" wrong. :tt04:

Kingmagyar
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Well your loss.

NFL network provided me with a world of information on preparing to watch this year's draft. It made watching the draft that much more enjoyable. Goodell probably doesn't receive a cent from this network, so if you really don't want to pad his wallet you should give up watching all NFL games, not that you doing this would take 1 cent away from him though. The NFL, Love it or Leave it.