:flap:
:sofunny:

Hey, I enjoy a good debate. And this has been a good one. :drink:

Atlanta Dan
06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
:sofunny:

Hey, I enjoy a good debate. And this has been a good one. :drink:
Agreed:drink:

The subtext for this is Ben's history of not letting bygones be bygones (e.g. - remember before the 2007 Arizona regular season game when Ben was bi***ing about Whiz)

There is a history here

Ben is a great QB but there are still some rough edges with regard to how he deals with change

steelax04
06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I think Ben is playing the media like a bunch of suckers... he already has the playbook down, can run it in his sleep, and is just lulling everyone into this state of mind that he has no clue. Come week 1 he's going to blow it up and just give everyone a shrug look, Jordan style. :noidea:

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=105206&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/105206/jordan-shrug.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

TheVet
06-08-2012, 01:33 PM
They should issue number 78 Adams. Lol

Oh God that would be great!!!!

:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Steelersfan87
06-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Doddens, we're going to be talking about Arians around here for a long time. That era of incompetence was an epic fail. A smell like that doesn't go away.

If we don't pause to reflect on the past, how will we appreciate the dramatic improvements in the present? If we hadn't suffered through two and a half decades of Stoudts and Kordells, would we appreciate Ben as much as we do?

Ready or not, an NFL-caliber Offensive Coordinator is coming to Pittsburgh!

You are rather immature for your age. :doh:

TheVet
06-08-2012, 06:37 PM
So even if you think it's a bit immature, would it be OK with you if we discuss Arians here on the Steelers forum?

Steelersfan87
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Sure, and I'll do better to ignore it in the future.

zcoop
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I think Ben is playing the media like a bunch of suckers... he already has the playbook down, can run it in his sleep, and is just lulling everyone into this state of mind that he has no clue. Come week 1 he's going to blow it up and just give everyone a shrug look, Jordan style. :noidea:

http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=105206&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/105206/jordan-shrug.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

Yep, I think Ben's wayyyy smarter that some folks give him credit for. Great move on his part, keep em guessing.

Hawaii 5-0
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger coming to terms with change

Submitted by Syndicated sources on June 12, 2012

One of the biggest stories of the offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers has been about change. Gone are veterans James Farrior, Hines Ward and Aaron Smith, as well as offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. While the players are sorting themselves out, the coaching situation has been solidified by Todd Haley and his Rosetta Stone of a playbook.At first, Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger seemed distant about the playbook, voicing displeasure at every opportunity. Fortunately, that opposition seems to be lifting as the team heads to mini-camp. In fact, Roethlisberger has been slowly starting to say all the things fans are looking for, especially considering that a positive attitude and progression are keys to mastering a new system.

When asked about the offense following the end of team’s OTA sessions on Thursday he had this to say. "We've made some strides. Every day is a little bit better. I'm not saying I could go out and call a game myself right now but I understand when (Haley) calls a play I know what’s going on for the most part." Of course, there are still some concerns about the new system, but Roethlisberger’s positive outlook is something many did not see coming this soon in the offseason following some of the comments the quarterback made earlier in the year.

Another concern is along the offensive line (again) where first round pick guard David DeCastro and second round pick tackle Mike Adams could begin their careers as starters on his offensive line. On that note, Roethlisberger had this to say about the idea, “As long as they do their job, I don’t care.”

While his views on the potential rookie starters are not earth shattering, he did manage to make some waves during the interview. He seemed to be making a statement wearing number 78 in honor of former Pittsburgh Steelers tackle, Max Starks, who is an unrestricted free agent recovering from an ACL injury suffered during the playoffs.

Roethlisberger left much to the imagination of the reporters about his attire only really commenting that Starks was doing well and feels fine. Given the recent direction of the Steelers organization during the draft, fans wonder if Starks will return or if his days in the black and gold are over. If he had his way, that left tackle position is one that would not change.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_quarterback_ben_roethlisberger _coming_to_terms_with_change/10993097

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Roethlisberger explains initial concern over changing the offense

June 13th, 2012
by Mark Kaboly

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was not thrilled with the notion of changing offensive coordinators during the offseason, and plenty figured it was because of the relationship he developed with Bruce Arians.

It turns out that was only part of the reason for Roethlisberger’s trepidation.

Roethlisberger said today during the Steelers second day of mandatory minicamp on the South Side that the biggest issue he had with bringing in a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive scheme after eight years in the league was that it would force him to start the learning process over at the most inopportune time – heading into the prime of his career.

“That was it early on,” Roethlisberger said. “I felt like I was really starting … I was hopefully going to be coming into the prime of my career and starting all over with an offense.”

Historically, quarterbacks who make the jump from great to elite status do it during their early 30s. Roethlisberger turned 30 in March, and already owns most of the Steelers’ passing records while winning a pair of Super Bowls and playing in a third.

Roethlisberger is one of 10 quarterbacks who have won multiple Super Bowls. Jim Plunkett is the only non-active quarterback on that list not in the Hall of Fame (Eli Manning and Tom Brady).

Roethlisberger said that bringing in Todd Haley and a new offense just forces him to work harder.

“You know what, it kind of put a little extra on me and the rest of the guys to learn the offense and learn something new,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger has six-straight 3,000-yard passing seasons and a career passer rating of 92.1. He has a 90-37 career record including 10-4 in the postseason.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/06/13/roethlisberger-explains-initial-concern-over-changing-offense/#.T9jihaYoUWg.twitter

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Kovacevic: Of Big Ben, big men, scatbacks

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Friday, June 15, 2012,

Mini-thoughts, mini-observations of the Steelers' minicamp that concluded Thursday on the South Side ...

• For all the buzz about Big Ben's pending mini-Roethlisberger and the resultant change in his life, the best change I noticed over the three weeks of OTAs and minicamp was this: He pouted less with each passing day about Todd Haley's playbook.

Roethlisberger conceded Wednesday he initially was troubled by having to switch after eight years in the NFL, and his comment was telling: "That was it early on."

See the past tense?

Here's hoping he keeps it that way.

• Actual visible, audible signs of friction between Roethlisberger and Haley these past three weeks: Zero.

• The playbook won't take center stage until preseason, but the best early way to describe it is that it will be all things to all people. Expect Haley to show opponents a lot of different looks, formations, even personnel sets.

And expect that no one will love this more than Heath Miller. Haley loves to soften up the middle, and few in football do that better than No. 83.

"The more we spread the ball around and get everyone involved, the more difficult, in my mind, we would be to defend," Miller said. "I don't sit around and crave catching 100 balls. I just want to win."

That doesn't need to be mutually exclusive.

• Next time you'll see the football club will be at maxicamp. Only 40 days until Latrobe.

http://triblive.com/sports/1991975-74/haley-redman-steelers-issue-mike-mini-past-roethlisberger-weeks-minicamp

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Ben Roethlisberger: 'I'm not going to change my game'

By Marc Sessler
June 15, 2012

You normally know what you're getting in Pittsburgh, but this year's Steelers squad comes gift-wrapped in mystery.

The intrigue stems from changes on offense, where quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is working with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley on a scheme previously described as a run-first attack. Team president Art Rooney II went so far to suggest Big Ben might "tweak" his play at quarterback.

Don't bank on it.

"I'm not going to change my game," Roethlisberger said, per a Friday CBSSports.com report. "Coach (Haley) can do what he wants to add protection and things like that, but I'm going to play the game the way I know how. It's worked OK for me so far."

After 80 regular-season wins and two Super Bowl titles, Roethlisberger has a point. So do the Steelers, however, as they're primarily concerned with the epic beating Big Ben took last season. His 40 sacks were second only to Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson, and he was never the same after suffering an ankle injury against the Cleveland Browns in December.

Pittsburgh wants its 30-something starter to play safer football, with less scampering through front sevens into the heart of the opposition. Haley's scheme caters to this, but here's the problem: Big Ben has played this way from the start. This is what got him here.

Tight end Heath Miller agrees, sort of:

"I don't think you ask him to change the way he plays, but obviously you want any quarterback on the football team to get hit as least amount of times as possible."

It's yet another wrinkle in the up-to-now awkward pairing of Roethlisberger and Haley. They keep telling us everything is going swimmingly, but something doesn't feel right.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829dc5a4/article/ben-roethlisberger-im-not-going-to-change-my-game?module=HP11_headline_stack

Steelers>NFL
06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Roethlisberger explains initial concern over changing the offense

June 13th, 2012
by Mark Kaboly

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was not thrilled with the notion of changing offensive coordinators during the offseason, and plenty figured it was because of the relationship he developed with Bruce Arians.

It turns out that was only part of the reason for Roethlisberger’s trepidation.

Roethlisberger said today during the Steelers second day of mandatory minicamp on the South Side that the biggest issue he had with bringing in a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive scheme after eight years in the league was that it would force him to start the learning process over at the most inopportune time – heading into the prime of his career.

“That was it early on,” Roethlisberger said. “I felt like I was really starting … I was hopefully going to be coming into the prime of my career and starting all over with an offense.”

Historically, quarterbacks who make the jump from great to elite status do it during their early 30s. Roethlisberger turned 30 in March, and already owns most of the Steelers’ passing records while winning a pair of Super Bowls and playing in a third.

Roethlisberger is one of 10 quarterbacks who have won multiple Super Bowls. Jim Plunkett is the only non-active quarterback on that list not in the Hall of Fame (Eli Manning and Tom Brady).

Roethlisberger said that bringing in Todd Haley and a new offense just forces him to work harder.

“You know what, it kind of put a little extra on me and the rest of the guys to learn the offense and learn something new,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger has six-straight 3,000-yard passing seasons and a career passer rating of 92.1. He has a 90-37 career record including 10-4 in the postseason.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/06/13/roethlisberger-explains-initial-concern-over-changing-offense/#.T9jihaYoUWg.twitter

:crying01:

EbonySteel86
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Don't understand how he could have an issue with an offense that's designed to make it easier on him. I don't get it. I guess its that rb wanna run every play and qbs wanna throw every play, thing.

Hawaii 5-0
06-21-2012, 02:21 AM
New Offense Requires Patience

WEDNESDAY, 20 JUNE 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

It sounds like the 2012 Steeler offense will be designed to emulate that of the 1976-1980 version of the Steelers: fullback, 2 tight ends and "balance" between running and passing.

The hiring of Todd Haley, combined with the draft selections was a clear indication of where management wants this team headed. The combination of no running game along with 50+ sacks given up a year was enough to tell management that a change in philosophy was required. One can argue that they could have handled the Bruce Arians decision more professionally, but the fact is the writing was on the wall.

In theory, the front office is making a sound business decision based on their investment. Big Ben will not survive many more years like the last two. Injuries aside, last year's team really didnt have the feel of a Super Bowl Champion.

Herein lies part of the problem.

Many Steeler fans would rebut and say that neither did the Giants, their quarterback got hot, and all of a sudden, the lousy defense became just good enough to win. Two things that easily could have happened to the Steelers. They didnt happen, so change became eminent.

The Steelers want balance, yet fans would argue that we have a gunslinger for a quarterback whose idol is John Elway. Fans need to recall that Elway the gunslinger didnt win the Super Bowl until Terrel Davis gained 1800 yards in 1997.

While Ben already has 2 rings, the likelihood of a 3rd ring as a gunslinger was very remote as evaluated by Steelers front office. So now fans will have to be patient with new 2 tight end sets, and short passes to running backs out of the backfield.

Given the schedule early, a 1-2 start is not unlikely, calls for new offensive coordinator are almost guaranteed. Fans need to give Haley and front office a chance.

Ben must do the same.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116840-guest-slog-new-offense-requires-patience

ricardisimo
06-21-2012, 02:56 AM
Why would Kaboly claim that Ben "already owns most of the Steelers’ passing records"? Other than sacks, what meaningful Steelers' passing record is his? Lame. Mind you, some of those records - like yards - are almost certainly going to fall to him this year, but Kaboly's supposed to be a journalist, not a fortune teller.

Steelersfan87
06-21-2012, 03:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger#Pittsburgh_Steelers_franchise_r ecords

ricardisimo
06-21-2012, 04:48 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/career-passing.htm

Steelersfan87
06-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes, that also proves that Ben holds most of the records.

Steelersfan87
06-21-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers-Chris-Rainey/90d67697-5ef1-4ef1-bcf3-a0c9e401760a

Roy Brown, Greensburg, Pennsylvania: You got a look at Todd Haley’s offense already. What do you think of it, is it tough?
Rainey: It’s going to be great. I know this style of offense. I have asked some of the other players if they like it and they do. They think it’s better than the one they used to have here.

Hawaii 5-0
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp7.jpghttp://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp21.jpg

ricardisimo
06-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Yes, that also proves that Ben holds most of the records.
Especially the line at the top that says:
Passing Leader (all-time): Terry Bradshaw (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00.htm) - 27,989 yards
:hatsoff:

Steelersfan87
06-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Yes, that's one of the few that he doesn't own, obviously. But he owns these records:

Career records
90-36 (.714) record as starting QB (includes a 10-3 playoff record)
.714 winning percentage is the highest among all Steelers QBs with at least 20 starts
Highest Passer Rating (Min. 100 attempts) — 92.1
Highest Completion Percentage (Min. 100 attempts) — 63.1%
Highest Yards Per Attempt (Min. 100 attempts) — 8.02
Longest Pass Completion — 95-yard touchdown to Mike Wallace on 10/23/2011 against the Arizona Cardinals
Most Pass Completions — 2,090
Most Times Sacked — 314
Most 200+ Yard Passing Games — 81 (includes eight playoff games)
Most 300+ Yard Passing Games — 21 (includes one playoff game)
Most Consecutive Games With 300+ Yards Passing — 3 (from October 23, 2011 through November 6, 2011)
Most 400+ Yard Passing Games — 3
Most 500+ Yard Passing Games — 1
Most 3000-Yard Passing Seasons — 6 (2006–2011)
Most Consecutive 3000-Yard Passing Seasons — 6 (2006–2011)
Most 4000-Yard Passing Seasons — 2 (2009, 2011)
Most 3+ TD Passing Games — 20 (includes one playoff game)
Most 4+ TD Passing Games — 4
Most 5+ TD Passing Games — 2
Most Consecutive Games With a TD Pass — 15 (from December 3, 2006 through November 18, 2007)
Most 4th Quarter Comeback Wins — 20
Most Games with a Passer Rating over 100.0 (regular season; min. 10 attempts) — 47[152]
Most Games with a Perfect Passer Rating — 3
Most Games with 40+ Pass Attempts — 18[153]
Most Games with 20+ Completions — 43[154]
Most Games with 30+ Completions — 6[155]
Most Games with Completion Percentage of at least 60% — 76[156]
Most Games with Completion Percentage of at least 70% — 31[157]
Biggest contract in Steelers history (eight years, $102 million)[158]
Season records
Highest Completion Percentage — 66.6% (2009)
Most Touchdown Passes — 32 (2007)
Highest Touchdown Pass Percentage — 7.92% (2007)
Highest Yards Per Attempt — 8.90 (2005)
Highest Passer Rating — 104.1 (2007)
Most Passing Yards — 4,328 (2009)
Most 200+ Yard Passing Games — 13 (2009 & 2011)
Most 300+ Yard Passing Games — 5 (2009 & 2011)[159]
Most 400+ Yard Passing Games — 2 (2009)
Most 500+ Yard Passing Games — 1 (2009)
Most 3+ TD Passing Games — 5 (2007 & 2009)
(Tie) Most 4+ TD Passing Games — 3 (2007)
Most Pass Completions — 337 (2009)
Lowest Interception Percentage — 1.29% (2010; 5 INTs on 389 attempts)
Fewest Interceptions (Min. 10 attempts/game) — 5 (2010)
Single-game records
Most Passing Yards — 503 (Completed 29 of 46 passes for 503 yards and 3 touchdowns on December 20, 2009 against the Green Bay Packers)
Most Pass Completions — 38 (Completed 38 of 54 passes for 433 yards on November 5, 2006 against the Denver Broncos)
(Tie) Most Consecutive Passes Completed, Single Game — 15 (Completed 15 straight on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football. Bubby Brister also completed 15 straight on October 1, 1989 against the Detroit Lions.)
Highest Completion %, Game (min. 20 attempts) — 85.7% (Completed 18 out of 21 attempts on November 26, 2007 against the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football)
(Tie) Most Touchdown Passes, Game — 5 (Threw five TD passes in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens on a Monday-night game November 5, 2007. Tied his own record against the Tennessee Titans on October 9, 2011. Also tied with Terry Bradshaw and Mark Malone) [160]
Rookie records (achieved during 2004 season)
Most Pass Attempts — 295
Most Pass Completions — 196
Highest Completion Percentage — 66.4%
Most Passing Yards — 2621
Most Touchdown Passes — 17
Highest Yards Per Attempt — 8.88
Highest Passer Rating — 98.1
Wins as starting QB — 13
Postseason records
Highest Completion Percentage (Min. 50 attempts) — 61.3%
Highest Passer Rating — 84.5

In other words, most of them.

ricardisimo
06-23-2012, 03:35 AM
If someone really wanted to come up with 47 team records that Bradshaw holds, it would be embarrassingly easy to do it. "Most Bone-headed Throws in the 4th Quarter", or "Highest Completion Percentage While Throwing Off His Back Leg", or (stepping back into reality for a second) "Most Super Bowl MVP Trophies", or "Most Super Bowl Victories" for that matter... "Most Super Bowl [fill in the blank]" will go to Bradshaw almost by default.

The fact remains that for QBs, franchise records basically consist of:

Passing Yards (Bradshaw)
Passing TDs (Bradshaw)
Interceptions (Bradshaw)
Games Played (Bradshaw)
Games Won (Bradshaw)
and Sacks (Roethlisberger)

Maybe one could make a case for 4th Quarter Comebacks (Ben) or Game-winning Drives (Terry) as being substantial quarterback statistics, but they split those two anyways.

Bayz101
06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I agree with what Ricardo says. You could break a record every game if you really tried.

Ben will have a majority of the meaningful records by the time he retires, and i'm hoping that includes super bowl win's and MVP's.

Steelersfan87
06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Well, obviously we value different things. Completion percentage, yards per attempt, interception rate...stuff like that means a lot to me. They're records that matter.

ricardisimo
06-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, obviously we value different things. Completion percentage, yards per attempt, interception rate...stuff like that means a lot to me. They're records that matter.
But he doesn't have any of those records. Randle El does, or somebody else, which is part of my point; you have to be a little bit too creative to give Ben "most of the Steelers franchise passing records." The definitive records still belong to Terry. Ben will be taking over very soon, and this discussion will be moot.

In the meantime my point stands: Kaboly is supposed to be a journalist, not a fortuneteller.

Steelersfan87
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Such records are understood with the caveat of a certain amount of attempts and such things like that, but people with 20 attempts on trick plays, obviously. They're still records and they still mean a lot, and Mark Kaboly is being a perfectly fine journalist by saying that Ben holds most of the records. The only meaningful records he doesn't hold yet are the ones based on longevity.

Bayz101
06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Such records are understood with the caveat of a certain amount of attempts and such things like that, but people with 20 attempts on trick plays, obviously. They're still records and they still mean a lot, and Mark Kaboly is being a perfectly fine journalist by saying that Ben holds most of the records. The only meaningful records he doesn't hold yet are the ones based on longevity.

To sum up my thoughts on this, I bolded the last line.

ricardisimo
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM

Yes, I understand all of the caveats, I'm not an idiot. But there are no caveats to Bradshaw's big team records, and no asterisks either. He is the Steelers' all-time leading passer. Period. And obviously longevity is not enough; Charlie Batch has longevity, but no team records to go with it. Kurt Warner's longevity, on the other hand, was limited, to say the least, and yet look at his place in the rankings.

Like I said earlier, we could pad Bradshaw's list just with stuff like "Most blah-blah-blah in a Super Bowl", but why bother? In about three or four years tops Ben will - barring either a devastating injury or an abysmal drop in production - own all of these records anyway. In the meantime it is misleading in the extreme... nay, it is flat-out wrong to crown Ben as the owner of "most Steelers' passing records". On whose list of team records?

Whatever, this thread is permanently derailed now. Sorry.

Hawaii 5-0
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Guest Slog: Big Ben or bust

WEDNESDAY, 27 JUNE 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

Ed Bouchette is on vacation, and he's asked his loyal 'Slog' readers to fill in during his absence. Today's entry comes from J.K. Moller of Baton Rouge, La., who explains why Big Ben is the one and only indispensable Steeler (and Bill Cowher is a better coach than he sometimes gets credit for). Enjoy.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Ed_Bouchette/ben_dive.jpg

It wasn't that long ago -- a little over two years -- that Ben Roethlisberger's misbehavior in a Milledgeville, Ga., bar had some Steelers fans calling for their starting quarterback to be traded or cut.

A noble sentiment, perhaps. But also terribly misguided. Because the one thing we can say with pretty fair certainty is that if Ben would have gone away, so would the Steelers' chances of competing for a Super Bowl title in the foreseeable future. And there is no one else on the roster - coach, player or front-office guru - about whom the same is remotely true.

This has been an offseason of major changes for a team that doesn't often change. Hines Ward and James Farrior are gone. The offensive line has been overhauled and a new coordinator is running the offense.

But the Steelers will still be in the hunt come January because they have the one thing that is most important in today's NFL -- an elite quarterback.

The list of truly elite quarterbacks is short. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, the Manning brothers, Aaron Rodgers. Cam Newton, if he can keep it up another couple of years. And Big Ben. And the recent history of the NFL shows that if you don't have an elite QB, your chances of bringing home a Lombardi Trophy are slim to none.

In the quarter century since a very average Doug Williams quarterbacked the Redskins to the Super Bowl XXII title against the Broncos, here are the teams that have won titles without an elite QB (or an above-average QB having a superlative year): The 2000 Ravens, with Trent Dilfer; and the 2002 Buccaneers, with Brad Johnson. The former featured one of the greatest defenses in NFL history; I'm still not quite sure how Brad Johnson got a ring.

The last nine Super Bowls have been won by Tom Brady, Big Ben and Eli Manning (two each), Brees, Rodgers and Peyton Manning (one each). Not a chump in the bunch.

Big Ben has a contract worth $102 million, the richest in team history. He's worth every penny and more, if your organization's goal is to win championships.

In New Orleans, Saints fans are panicked because their head coach and middle linebacker have been suspended for the season. But the real problem is the team's failure to come to terms with Drew Brees. The Saints can survive, maybe even thrive without Sean Payton and Jonathan Vilma. If Brees goes away they might as well bring back the paper bags. Pay the man and shut up.

The Colts won 10 or more games in 11 of Peyton Manning's last 12 seasons as a starter. When he spent 2011 on the sidelines, they fell to 2-14.

To be sure, having an elite QB doesn't guarantee a title. But it does put your team in the hunt almost every year. Not having an elite QB, meanwhile, means absolutely everything else has to go right, and even then you're still probably out of luck.

Which brings us back to the Steelers. Recently Mr. Ed ran a fun little off-season exercise where fans picked their all-century team. My initial gut reaction was to pick Mike Tomlin [as coach], because he has won two AFC titles and a Super Bowl in five years - a feat that took Bill Cowher 14 years to accomplish. But after giving this matter more thought, I have changed my mind.

Bill Cowher's greatest accomplishment is not the Super Bowl title he won with Big Ben behind center. It's the fact that he took teams deep into the playoffs with the likes of Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox playing quarterback.

With a record like that to look back on, it's no wonder why Cowher has been circumspect about returning to coaching. And it's certainly understandable why he'll only go back to a team with an established elite quarterback.

In today's NFL, it's never been more important.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116964-guest-slog-big-ben-or-bust

Fire Arians
06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
get over it ben, you're going to throw for 50 touchdowns this year! :P

Hawaii 5-0
06-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Steelers’ Clark: Big Ben could be ‘scary good’

JUNE 28, 2012
by ZACK KELBERMAN

http://helmet2helmet.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ben-roethlisberger-ryan-clark-.jpg

Earlier today, NFL Network’s Albert Breer mentioned that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger showed up to offseason workouts “far earlier” than in years past, and, from what Breer hears, has been “terrific” learning the offense being implemented by new coordinator Todd Haley.

While it’s not a surprise Roethlisberger is adapting with ease, teammate Ryan Clark, being the nice (and outspoken) guy that he is, decided to confirm the hearsay for us all, adding what he’s seen first-hand has the potential to be “scary good.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_clark_big_ben_could_be_scary_good/11114462

tanda10506
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Steelers’ Clark: Big Ben could be ‘scary good’

JUNE 28, 2012
by ZACK KELBERMAN

http://helmet2helmet.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ben-roethlisberger-ryan-clark-.jpg

Earlier today, NFL Network’s Albert Breer mentioned that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger showed up to offseason workouts “far earlier” than in years past, and, from what Breer hears, has been “terrific” learning the offense being implemented by new coordinator Todd Haley.

While it’s not a surprise Roethlisberger is adapting with ease, teammate Ryan Clark, being the nice (and outspoken) guy that he is, decided to confirm the hearsay for us all, adding what he’s seen first-hand has the potential to be “scary good.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_clark_big_ben_could_be_scary_good/11114462

If it "clicks" it will be scary good. We had games before (with a terrible O line and a terrible OC ) that were pretty good, the Pats game last year comes to mind, so with a quality O line and a real NFL playbook the sky is the limit.

Hawaii 5-0
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
These aren’t your dad’s Pittsburgh Steelers

Posted by Bob Diodati
July 15, 2012

Tough nosed, no complaints, hard hitting, gritty, do whatever it takes to win; we know that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers mantra. Maybe in years past it was. This year, they don’t like the playbook, don’t like their contracts, and they’re old. We have heard Ben Roethlisberger complain about the coordinator change and how hard it is to switch playbooks. Mike Wallace is holding out for Larry Fitzgerald money. The mix of young and old is pointing towards a transition, and yes “a rebuilding year”. Rebuilding has not been in the Steelers vocabulary for the past 20 years, but this year it is appropriate.

The good thing for Steelers fans is that rebuilding in Pittsburgh means 8-8 or 9-7. The schedule isn’t easy this year, the Steelers can hope for four wins against the Bengals and Browns, and hopefully two more against the Raiders and Chiefs. Winning two or three out of the other 10 games shouldn’t be very hard. It’s not something any Steelers fan wants to hear, but here is why the season is going to turn out that way.

The offense is uncertain. Roethlisberger isn’t adapting well to the change in coordinators. Some quarterbacks roll with the punches, but Ben isn’t one of them. It will be a transition. Mendenhall is out for at least the first part of the season, and while Isaac Redman performed well last year, he needs some help in the backfield. All that is behind Redman are unproven commodities. Also, expect Mike Wallace to hold out deep into the preseason. This will delay him being effective as he could be until about week 6. Jericho Crotchery, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown are certainly capable, but they need to be supported by a number one wide receiver like Wallace. The Steelers picked up two highly touted linemen in the draft, Guard David DeCastro and Tackle Mike Adams, but it generally takes a year for linemen to perfect their craft. Until the two new guys get familiar with the NFL, and Tackle Marcus Gilbert gets another year under this belt, don’t expect this line to be much better than last year.

The defensive line (Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel) are getting old and the two picks spent on Cameron Heyward and Ziggy Hood aren’t producing as expected. Unless those two guys step up their play this year, there won’t be much room for the linebackers to roam the field. The linebackers are solid, but Harrison is showing his age. Woodley is still dominant on the outside, but without James Farrior the inside is weaker. The secondary is Ike Taylor and………. Well….. whoever steps up. William Gay proved he is a nickel corner at best, and there are many young guys positioning themselves to take over the second starting corner spot. The safeties are the strong point of the team, Polamalu is older but still capable, and Ryan Clark has shown no signs of slowing down.

The outlook isn’t very bright unless you’re drinking the black and gold kool –aid. The good news is Roethlisberger is the ultimate competitor and I would expect he gets over the coordinator change fairly quickly. He wants to win. Wallace is an elite wide receiver and should return to form by mid season. If the offensive line can somehow put together some solid protection, this passing offense could flourish. Maybe DeCastro and Adams can make an impact right away. This could be the year that Heyward and Hood step up, and a young corner emerges. The Steelers won’t be out of the playoff race early, they are talented, but everything pointing towards a transition year. This is a team that lost to the Broncos in the wild card round last year, and don’t look any better this year. This year may be the building block to the next run of Lombardi trophies in Pittsburgh.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/these_arent_your_dads_pittsburgh_steelers/11222944

Steelersfan87
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I stopped reading at "Roethlisberger isn’t adapting well to the change in coordinators". I assume this is more outsider crap about the sky finally falling as it was supposed to have for the last decade in Pittsburgh.

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I stopped reading at "Roethlisberger isn’t adapting well to the change in coordinators". I assume this is more outsider crap about the sky finally falling as it was supposed to have for the last decade in Pittsburgh.

That's pretty much where I stopped as well. These people haven't a clue.

steelfury02
07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
everyone else's transition year = 6-10 to 9-7

Steelers transition year = 10-6 to 12-4 and division or wild-card

"THE STANDARD IS THE STANDARD." MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Also, I love when everyone doubts our Steelers - that's the way we want it, don't we? You can have the talk and the expectations - let's fly under the radar!

jiminpa
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
If our defense is just great, and our offense does half of what it is capable of, we will be unstoppable. This is not rebuilding it is growing. There is a big difference. The whiners who refuse to grow, (even Ben), will soon welcome their replacements to the locker room, and Rooney will make sure that it is understood who the new guys are.

Hawaii 5-0
07-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Run Game Will Take a Backseat to Ben Roethlisberger in 2012

By Joseph Bruno (Featured Columnist) on July 21, 2012

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/801/531/hi-res-136636254_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

The Pittsburgh Steelers had the 14th ranked rushing game last season and it didn’t even seem like it was that high during the year.

The Steelers did not have a 100-yard rusher in 13 of their games last season, and in six of those games they didn’t even accumulate 100 yards as a team. Now that the offensive line has been improved this offseason, it’s not expected that the running game will continue to be so poor.

That being said, the Steelers will definitely be known as a passing team with the focus obviously being on QB Ben Roethlisberger. Ben is an elite quarterback in this league and should be considered the No. 1 QB in the NFL with the way he plays.

He can literally throw defenders off of him, which he has had to do regularly with the Steelers offensive line, and he can sit in the pocket and pick apart a defense.

With the departures of Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker, and the ineptitude that was Bruce Arians, the Steelers run game hasn’t looked right for a few years.

Although Rashard Mendenhall looked like he was poised to continue the rushing tradition for the Steelers, he is coming off a terrible year along with his knee injury that will most likely keep him out for most of this season.

Even with the change in offensive coordinators, the Steelers’ offense is still centered around Ben and the passing game no matter who the running back is.

I have full confidence that the combination of Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch and Chris Rainey will do a great job this upcoming season, however, the offense still goes as far as Ben takes it.

Ben is in his prime and I expect nothing short of a great season from him and the rest of the Steelers team in 2012.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1267090-pittsburgh-steelers-run-game-will-take-a-backseat-to-ben-roethlisberger-in-2012