PDA

View Full Version : The Baltimore Ravens are my pick to win the Super Bowl

Indy_Steelers
07-23-2006, 06:10 PM
By Jason Whitlock

1. The Baltimore Ravens are my pick to win the Super Bowl. :sofunny: :blah:

I love the acquisitions of veteran Trevor Pryce and rookie Haloti Ngata for Baltimore's defensive line. Price and Ngata should make Ray Lewis unstoppable again. Steve McNair solves Baltimore's QB dilemma. Plus, I recently read John Feinstein's book about the Ravens, "Next Man Up," and the book made me like and respect Brian Billick.

Also, the city of Baltimore needs a feel-good story after suffering through the TV death of Stringer Bell and the incarceration of Avon Barksdale on "The Wire."

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. He can be reached by e-mail at ballstate68@aol.com.

rest of story here.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060720&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers

Baltimore will be better, but this much better? i can think of 5 other theams that have a much better shot. They still have to go through Pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
it happens every year. last year it was the ravens who were gonna unseat the patriots. expect the same this year.

whitlock probably thinks he can come in and shore up the ravens run d like sam adams/ t. siragusa. hes just trying to make a name for himself beyond sunday mornings random appearances on espn's "the sports reporters"

Ambridge
07-23-2006, 07:10 PM
it happens every year. last year it was the ravens who were gonna unseat the patriots. expect the same this year.

whitlock probably thinks he can come in and shore up the ravens run d like sam adams/ t. siragusa. hes just trying to make a name for himself beyond sunday mornings random appearances on espn's "the sports reporters"

Whitlock will probably be picking the Browns next year.:rolleyes:

Hey tony!!

Remember how Adam Schein was slobbering all over himself last year on Sirius Radio saying the Baltimore Ravens were going to win the AFC North and that they were one of his picks in the AFC to go to Superbowl XL?? :jerkit:

Haiku_Dirtt
07-23-2006, 08:08 PM
There are easily 4-6 teams I'd take before the Ex-Browns. :screwy:

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
That is one of those picks where Whitlock can be a self-proclaimed genius if he is right but will simply laugh it off with an "I guess McNair & Ray Lewis really were washed up" when he inevitably is wrong. Picking a long shot is a good line to start a screaming session on the Sports Reporters but is not otherwise worth arguing about.

The Ravens remind me of the Redskins when Snyder signed Deion & Bruce Smith. Prime Time names 5 years past their primes (and yes I am including their preening jerk of coach as a member of the Over the Hill Gang).

This pick is a joke.

BlackNGold203
07-23-2006, 09:50 PM
That is one of those picks where Whitlock can be a self-proclaimed genius if he is right but will simply laugh it off with an "I guess McNair & Ray Lewis really were washed up" when he inevitably is wrong. Picking a long shot is a good line to start a screaming session on the Sports Reporters but is not otherwise worth arguing about.

The Ravens remind me of the Redskins when Snyder signed Deion & Bruce Smith. Prime Time names 5 years past their primes (and yes I am including their preening jerk of coach as a member of the Over the Hill Gang).

This pick is a joke.

Agreed....

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
you would think going from a 15-1 record one year, and winning the superbowl the next, the steelers would get more credit....

tony hipchest
07-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Whitlock will probably be picking the Browns next year.:rolleyes:

Hey tony!!

Remember how Adam Schein was slobbering all over himself last year on Sirius Radio saying the Baltimore Ravens were going to win the AFC North and that they were one of his picks in the AFC to go to Superbowl XL?? :jerkit:

i love sheins show, i hate his picks. hes already made some off the wall pre season picks. jerry rice is doing pretty good as his partner. while jim miller doesnt have a radio voice (horrible on the ears) he does pretty good too.

SteelShooter
07-24-2006, 01:49 AM
The only intelligent thing I can say as a reply is: Pfffffffffffffffffffft!!!!

Steel Pit
07-24-2006, 02:07 AM
The return of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis from injuries will certainly help the Ravens. If Steve McNair's dumb a s s can learn the offense in a reasonable time frame, then I can see the Ravens finishing 2nd in the AFC North behind the Steelers. But, I don't believe that 2nd place in the AFC North is going to earn anyone a playoff spot.

SteelerzGirl
07-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Yeah, and my pick to win the Super Bowl is that jailbird of a team, the Cincinnati Bungals! Not! Pfffftt is right, Shooter...(lol)! :smile:

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess this schmo conveniently forgot that the Steelers pretty much own the Ravens. :rolleyes: McNair never lasts more than half a season anymore and then it's right back to Billick's boy Boller, who can't hit the side of a barn much less an open receiver. I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd in the AFC North.

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess this schmo conveniently forgot that the Steelers pretty much own the Ravens. :rolleyes: McNair never lasts more than half a season anymore and then it's right back to Billick's boy Boller, who can't hit the side of a barn much less an open receiver. I don't see them finishing higher than 3rd in the AFC North.

X-Terminator
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
All I can do is :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 09:59 AM
This guy must be related to Skip Bayless........

Eitherway, same old B.S. when it comes to the Ravens.

Ambridge
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM
i love sheins show, i hate his picks. hes already made some off the wall pre season picks. jerry rice is doing pretty good as his partner. while jim miller doesnt have a radio voice (horrible on the ears) he does pretty good too.

I like Schein too but some of his picks are really dumb and he can make a Steelers fan blood start to boil.
He's gone as far as saying in his pre-season picks that he thinks Pittsburgh will finish 3rd in the division behind Cincy and Baltimore.

Jerry Rice is an okay announcer but the thing that really gets old is when every caller in the world has to start off saying "It's an honor to talk to the Greatest Receiver in the history of the league".

I like Jim Miller!! He's no nonsense and puts right out there, a much better announcer than he was a player.

BTW-If you listen on email Wednesday and Adam reads one from Steeler John in Virginia that would be me. He's read a few of mine on air and I usually get on him about his obvious lack of love for the Steelers.

tony hipchest
07-24-2006, 11:09 AM
BTW-If you listen on email Wednesday and Adam reads one from Steeler John in Virginia that would be me. He's read a few of mine on air and I usually get on him about his obvious lack of love for the Steelers.

no way! ive heard him read atleast one or 2 of yours. too freaking cool.

SteelerFanInCA
07-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Is this guy for real? That dude is smoking crack.

Elvis
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
First of all to everyone that is dishin' the Ravens.. The Ravens are gonna have a decent defense as long as they have Ed Reed, he is the biggest play-maker in the NFL when he is healthy. Now, before ya'll go nuts.. look at the numbers.. he is an awesome player.. and I think that Ray Lewis can still make some plays, this team is gonna be tough on DEE this year. Now, can McNair make all the offense move by his self? No, I dont think he can... is Jamal Lewis gonna be the big power back that he was a few years ago?... I dunno' either.. but if he is that takes a big load off McNair.. anyone being honest with their knowledge of football will agree that the Ravens will be tough to beat if these things come to pass...
McNair stays healthy.. all season
Jamal is back to his ole' power self...all season
Ray Lewis is Healthy... and Ed Reed also...all season
The Ravens Can Finish as high as 1st.. if the Steelers have alot of injuries and the Bungals for some reason have the same luck... If No Injuries to either teams super stars... this could be a Very Interesting Division this upcoming season..
God Bless
Elvis

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 03:56 PM
At the same time, it's one thing to state they will be a better team, it's another thing to state they are going to win the Super Bowl in which this author stated.

Personally, I don't think McNair will last past week 8.

CAH
07-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Every year someone makes an outlandish pick for the Super Bowl. If he ends up wrong, you'll never hear about it but if he ends up to be right, it'll be "I told you."