PDA

View Full Version : Timing, Rapport, & Trust

teegre
05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
With the off-season dragging on like molasses in wintertime, the time has come for me to make a bold, dramatic statement...if, for no other reason, than to spark a debate. Ergo, with no further ado...

I foresee Antonio Brown being Pittsburgh's number one receiver for the 2012 season.

Hear me out.

I know that people will balk at my even mentioning that maybe Antonio Brown could ever replace Mike Wallace...but, think clearly for a half second, before you rip me. Antonio Brown runs far more routes than Wallace does (Brown can run every single route in the playbook). Brown makes more splash plays. And, Brown is deadly after the catch (something that Wallace is very "good" at). The only area in which Wallace surpasses Brown is speed...and Brown is no slouch in that regard.

Regardless, even if everything was equal, two other factors might be more poignant in establishing Brown as the more "dominant" receiver. With Todd Haley implementing a new offense (& a complicated offense, at that), it is critical that all of the offensive players be at OTAs. And, since Mike Wallace is sitting out of the OTAs, he is missing out on both 1) learning the new offense and 2) establishing chemistry with The Black Knight.

Meanwhile, Antonio Brown is there, at OTAs, taking all of the number one WR throws...and, establishing timing, rapport, and trust.

Likewise, Manny Sanders is at the OTAs. As is Jericho Cotchery. Of course, Sanders & Cotchery are more of the "possession" type of WR than the speedster that Wallace is...but "possession" is far from a bad word; Hines Ward & Wes Welker have made careers at being "possession" guys. Heck, since ten yards results a first down & moves the chains, a good possession guy is the key to any offense (specifically Haley's, which utilizes the quick pass).

So, again, during the OTAs, Brown is running the deep outs, deep ins, and post routes; Sanders & Cotchery are running the crossing and/or possession routes; and, Wallace...well...Wallace is sitting at home.

It bear repeating: repetitions between QB and WR are essential to establishing timing, rapport, and trust.

Timing. Big #7 has always had trouble getting his timing correct with Wallace (even though the two have indeed occasionally hooked up for a long TD)...and it is not going to get any better with Wallace sitting at home.

Rapport. When Big #7 drops back, over & over again, during practice, he starts "feeling" where Brown is going to be. For example, at one point, Ben didn't even need to look around to "know" where Ward was going to be; Ben just "knew." That type of rapport comes after hundreds upon hundreds of QB-to-WR throws...which is what Wallace is missing.

Trust. This is possibly the biggest factor of the three. When push comes to shove, where is TBK going to go??? Hines Ward was Ben's security blanket (and a great one at that). Now...who will Ben turn to??? Is it going to be the WR who can "only" run 40 yards downfield & drops easy catches?...or, is it going to be the WR with whom Ben has established timing & rapport? The latter generally wins out (see: the end of the 2010 season, where Brown made BOTH game-clinching catches in the play-offs).

With Brown running every route (& running them well), and with Sanders & Cotchery running the possession routes, the label of "one trick pony" might become even more of a stigma for Wallace. "It's okay Mike, we have everything else covered; you just run deep, and take the safeties out of the box."

Think about what I just said. Wallace is great at moving the safety and/or making the safety play deep, which frees up the underneath routes for the other three WRs. BUT, without the timing, rapport, and/or trust of his QB, he might be limited to ONLY receiving those deep passes. Whereas, Brown can run every route in Haley's playbook.

I will go a step further. With Wallace out, Sanders will be given an opportunity to shine. Remember that during the NYJets game during the 2010 regular season, Sanders consistently broke Darelle Revis's ankles. In other words, Sanders may not be fast, but he runs great routes (& is great after the catch). If you need further proof, re-watch the play-off game against Denver (I know: I don't want to either); during that game, with Wallace covered, Sanders quietly had a great game (5 for 81 yards). Cutting to the chase: if Sanders can show some promise, the Steelers front office would be even less inclined to dole out "Fitzgerald type of money" (ha, ha, ha) for Wallace.

In other words, if Brown & Sanders respectively can establish themselves as a dominant receiver and a rock-solid possession receiver (while Wallace slowly becomes more & more of a one-trick pony), the Steelers could be very willing to allow Wallace to walk...(and, instead, use that money on Brown & Sanders).

Speed kills...(for a few years). No doubt about that. BUT, if your QB doesn't throw you the ball, because he doesn't have the timing with, nor the rapport with, nor the trust in you, really how beneficial is that speed???

Mike Wallace, you should report to camp. Otherwise, you might find yourself in a precarious position, where the Steelers not only think, but know, that they can compete confidently without you. Were I you, I would sign a reasonable contract...before Brown & Sanders "take" your playing time, and in turn, take your money.

tony hipchest
05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
great 1st post. welcome to steelersfever. :tt02:

Sharkissle29
05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
I agree with it all. As much as i love Wallace, i would not mind seeing him walk and have us signing Antonio Brown long term. I am not completely sold on Sanders, only because he has not managed to stay healthy. If he can do that this year, we would be set with Brown and Sanders as Sanders wouldnt cost us too much, even if he does have a breakout season.

Speed does kill, but kills temporarily. He will start to slow down enough to where his speed wont be effective in probably 3 years if he doesnt do something about it. I love Wallace, but not at his asking price...

teegre
05-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Tony. Great to find this site.

RushHard...exactly. As much as I love Wallace, he will slow down in a few years (27ish)...whereas, the skill set that Brown has will last well into his early 30s.

TheVet
05-23-2012, 06:20 PM
teegre - That was a great first post. Welcome.

Fire Arians
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
good 1st post, i agree with everything you said except for sanders being primarily a possession guy who doesn't have brown's speed.

sanders has faster straight-line speed than brown does, they are both fast guys. brown does have a little better lateral quickness, but sanders is probably more likely to beat 1 guy and take it to the house

also I think that as far as route running and work ethic goes, sanders is the tops for all the wr's we have. if he can avoid the injury bug he may surprise a LOT of people. he has done nothing but produce when given his chances, he's a stud.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Great post.

It is probably wrong for me to judge Wallace for his absence and holdout-- this is a business, and the Steelers would not batt an eye if they thought it was best to part ways with him, so I can't blame him for going after $$$$ I guess. But I do.

And when you contrast that personality with a guy who was a late round pick, and spends as much time in the film room and on the practice field as Brown (according to every source I have heard from), while showing a comparable level of physical tools, it makes Wallace and his half-season productions that much less of a commodity to the team.

From the very first time Antonio Brown touched the football, he has made splash play after splash play, and only looked to be getting even better. Remember that sweet TD kick return on his very first NFL play?

As far as I am concerned, they can let Wallace walk if we have to give up Brown to keep him or make him show up for camp. I daresay, Hines Ward is probably shaking his head at this holdout wherever he is at too.

QCbeauBlak
05-23-2012, 07:54 PM
This is no indictment on Wallace, but I love everything Antonio Brown stands for. Wallace is in a tough situation and I understand his stance 100%. It's just that unfortunately, Mike is on a very good team. We have to comply with the same cap that every other team does. Good players have to be willing to sacrifice a little more to remain on a good team.

But that's what I do not understand about these hold outs. Drew Brees, like Mike Wallace, seems to be unable to realize that in order to build a great TEAM, you cannot expect to get paid what the stars make on crappy teams. If Drew were to actually get his worth on a team like the Saints, they will be unable to address their crappy defense. Didn't anyone learn a lesson from Peyton Manning? Stop listening to the agents because in the end, they want the biggest pay day they can get. They could give a damn about the team's success.

teegre
05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
good 1st post, i agree with everything you said except for sanders being primarily a possession guy who doesn't have brown's speed.

sanders has faster straight-line speed than brown does, they are both fast guys. brown does have a little better lateral quickness, but sanders is probably more likely to beat 1 guy and take it to the house

also I think that as far as route running and work ethic goes, sanders is the tops for all the wr's we have. if he can avoid the injury bug he may surprise a LOT of people. he has done nothing but produce when given his chances, he's a stud.

I probably should have been more clear on my admiration for Sanders's route running; I agree that he is easily the best route runner. When I said "broke Revis's ankles", I was alluding to this route running ability (to make CBs cut the wrong way).

Anyway, I am high in Sanders, too. Not as high as I am on Brown, but high enough. Two great, young WRs.

Vis
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't agree but maybe. I don't think Wallace will miss camp and with it being a contract year, he will shine. I also think you like Josey Wales.

teegre
05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't agree but maybe. I don't think Wallace will miss camp and with it being a contract year, he will shine. I also think you like Josey Wales.

I hope that you are correct, in that Wallace plays his heart out. Even if he doesn't re-sign, him having an All-Pro season (before he leaves) would be great (second only to him signing a "reasonable" contract).

Indeed: Josey Wales is my favorite western.

Vis
05-23-2012, 09:05 PM
We'll see who else gets the reference.

Ricco Suavez
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the board and great first post. Whether I agree or not matters not, what matters is you made your points intelligently and respectfully, things that are always welcome to this board.

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Sanders And Brown Could Be Big Winners For The Steelers If Wallace Continues To Sit

May 23rd, 2012 by DomSteelers

I thought that it would be nice to take a look at Wallace’s “mini sit-down” a bit further and explore how his decisions could effect his fellow teammates instead of just himself. With that in mind, I personally believe that if Wallace continues to be a no-show for an extended period, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders might benefit from the situation.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/6270120-224x300.jpg?e98d57

Antonio Brown: New #1?

After a Rookie season spent on the bench and on Special Teams, Antonio Brown exploded on the scene last season and recorded 69 Catches for 1,108 Yards, 2 TD’s, and even had 1 Punt Return TD to boot. In addition, Brown also led the team in Catches for 1st Downs (57), and was even targeted more times than Wallace was last season (123).

And if you can remember back to the end of last season, it was Brown that made the splash plays on a more consistent basis than Wallace was. While I am not a huge fan of Brown’s End Zone and big-play celebration theatrics (I’m not a fan of that behavior from players in general), he has an electrifying presence on the football field, and possesses the makings of a Pro Bowl and future “elite” Wide Receiver down the road.

Because Chris Rainey was selected in Round 5 of the Draft, and Marquise Maze was signed to a UDFA contract, Brown’s focus will shift entirely to the Wide Receiver position, which could not come at a better time as the team does not have Wallace in the present. As a full-time Wide Receiver, Brown will get to hone his skills each and every day this offseason, and get a jump on Wallace in terms of his understanding of the Offense and what role he is going to play. Because Brown is the best all-around (combination of: route-running, hands, speed, 1st Down converting prowess, and ability to get open) Wide Receiver on the team in my opinion, he has the chance to emerge as the “leader of the pack” if Wallace does not choose to join the team until later this Summer, Fall, or even during the season.

If Brown chooses to accept a leadership role and steps up in Wallace’s absence it will be of great value to him, because it will illustrate to the Front Office a sense of maturity and dedication on Brown’s part. Maturity goes a long way with Colbert & Co., and if Brown impresses the Coaching Staff to boot, he will likely be rewarded with a contract that correlates to his overall talent either when he becomes a Restricted Free Agent after this season, or an Unrestricted Free Agent after the 2013 season.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/5681188-239x300.jpg?e98d57

Emmanuel Sanders: Chance to Step Up His Game

Although Emmanuel Sanders would likely not benefit as greatly as Brown would in terms of becoming a “star” in Wallace’s absence, he does have an advantageous opportunity to help himself in the process. Indispensable when he has worked in the slot over the last two seasons, Sanders should continue to improve as he enters the 2012 campaign.

For those of you that remember, Sanders became a reliable target for Big Ben down the stretch in the 2010 season, and was actually ahead of Brown on the depth chart when the season ended. While Emmanuel’s statistics went down last season due to foot and knee ailments, Sanders had some pretty nice games last season when he was healthy.

At Arizona he had 5 grabs for 46 Yards and a nice Touchdown catch when he stayed alert when Ben was flushed from the pocket and found an open space. When the Steelers went with the effective dink-and-dunk/get the ball out of Ben’s hands quickly Offense against New England (something Arians refused to employ on a consistent basis for the rest of last season which still burns me), Sanders had 5 catches for 70 Yards and him, Miller, and Brown all enjoyed nice days. Finally, Sanders was actually the leading receiver against the Broncos in the Playoff game last January, and racked up 6 catches for 81 Yards during the losing effort.

While Sanders’ skill-set is better suited as a possession receiver in the slot as opposed to making plays downfield outside the numbers (in addition to working on the inside like Brown can do), he still has much riding on this season and must take advantage of every opportunity . Like Brown, Sanders will also be a Restricted Free Agent after this season, and an Unrestricted Free Agent after 2013. Because of this, Sanders must continue to develop the good rapport he has already established with Big Ben, and work with Brown to learn the new Offense in the coming months. The key for Sanders to succeed and earn a new contract will ultimately rest with him keeping himself out of the training room and prove to the Front Office and the Coaching Staff he is healthy. Thus, the more chances he gets and shines with Wallace out of the picture, the more likely he will be sticking around and earning himself another contract with Pittsburgh in a couple of years.

Final Thoughts

Mike Wallace can do whatever he wants, and is his decision to ride this current situation out, and nobody else’s. What I believe the Steelers should do if they cannot come to a long-term agreement with Wallace is the following: Let him play out his RFA tender this season. When he decides to report is a mystery, but he will have to join the team eventually and play in 6 games to accrue the season needed for him to be a UFA. If this happens to be the case, the Front Office should let him walk and go after a tall-field stretching pass-catcher to add to the Brown-Sanders-Cotchery-and hopefully Toney Clemons combo to groom for the future.

My hope is that the Steelers can come to sort of long-term contract with Wallace. As far as deep-threats go, there are few better in the game, he is one of the best, if not the best Wide Receiver in the League in regards to that specific skill-set/ability, and anytime he is on the field he is a threat to take it the distance. He is a valuable piece of the Steelers’ Wide Receiving Corps, and a fan-favorite still among many.

Nevertheless, if he is hell-bent on getting a dollar amount that Pittsburgh’s Front Office cannot scrounge up or chooses not to allocate in his direction, he will likely be on his way out of town sooner rather than later (if the team does not choose to Franchise him after this season). If this is indeed the case, what better way to help make Wallace expendable and to help the team and themselves in the process, than for Brown and Sanders to become leaders of the Wide Receiving Corps this offseason and continue to develop their overall games.

With Hines Ward gone, Jerricho Cotchery also learning the new Offense, still relatively young (29), and newer to the team as well, this is the time where “all hands must be on deck,” Rosetta Stones are needed, everyone must do their fair share to learn the Offense, gather as much information as possible about their new Offense and their roles in it, and most importantly: get back to the grind. Giving Big Ben at least some comfort and some familiar targets during the early stages of learning the new system will be of great help, and Brown and Sanders would be wise to step into those roles as the current “WR#1″ sits on the sidelines working out his contract issues.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/23/sanders-and-brown-could-be-big-winners-for-the-steelers-if-wallace-continues-to-sit/

lloydwoodson
05-24-2012, 01:48 AM
I probably should have been more clear on my admiration for Sanders's route running; I agree that he is easily the best route runner. When I said "broke Revis's ankles", I was alluding to this route running ability (to make CBs cut the wrong way).

Anyway, I am high in Sanders, too. Not as high as I am on Brown, but high enough. Two great, young WRs.

Are you saying a Pittsburgh Steelers targeted the ankles of a player on another team?! Take it back! :toofunny:

TheVet
05-24-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm high on all of our young receivers, and Cotchery too - such a great blend of different but complementary talents. I hate the thought of losing any of them, but at least we should have them all for this season ... not to jinx anything.

It's a bit of a bummer about the Wallace situation, given his need to take next steps, and the arrival of a new OC with real plays. Just bad timing, but can't blame him for the realities of NFL business.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Timing correct?

Before 66% of Ben was injured, he and Wallace were pretty dam spot on. Tough to throw with a broken thumb. But I"m sure you would do a better job. Oh not to mention your plant foot. Makes it tough for a right handed qb. But than again, not for you

Admiration for Sanders route running? Has he even had an opportunity to run a route? Besides the Buffet line to to the DR's or trainers to nurse his injuries? This guy is a huge question mark.

Sanders has less than a zero chance of playing over Wallace at any point in time.

finesward
05-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Timing correct?

Before 66% of Ben was injured, he and Wallace were pretty dam spot on. Tough to throw with a broken thumb. But I"m sure you would do a better job. Oh not to mention your plant foot. Makes it tough for a right handed qb. But than again, not for you

Admiration for Sanders route running? Has he even had an opportunity to run a route? Besides the Buffet line to to the DR's or trainers to nurse his injuries? This guy is a huge question mark.

Sanders has less than a zero chance of playing over Wallace at any point in time.

And this is an example of the kind of posts that get annoying, pretty much the opposite of the OP. Unintelligent, rude, and lacks a shred of respect. Way to make em welcome curtain!

Teams were shutting down Wallace last year by playing physical. They got in his head, he dropped passes he usually catches. All sanders did vs. The broncos was make catches. He stepped up when Wallace was flustered. Sure having Ben being able to launch it would of helped Wallace, but he couldn't make the routine catches brown and sanders could.

teegre
05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Hawaii 5-0:
I looks like we agree...and then some. Great minds think alike. Really though, every Steelers fan (you, me, everyone) has had the same reaction to Wallace's request for (an asinine amount of) money: "Let him leave; the Steelers will simply go with Brown & Sanders."

Furthermore, a lot of fans feel that Brown & Sanders could develop into the more "complete" receivers (and that Wallace simply has reached his limit). Speaking of which...

On another website/in another forum, during their rookie season, I was involved in a debate about Brown versus Sanders. I was a proponent of Sanders, and the other camp was in favor of Brown.

After their rookie year, I was the "winner", and then after their sophomore season, the Brown camp was (obviously) the "winner." Now...it appears that both sides were correct, because BOTH Brown and Sanders look to be great talents. [I think that Sanders will rebound from his injuries...although, I readily admit that Brown is the far more dynamic receiver]

Anyway...I think that everyone is thinking & saying the same thing(s):
1. Wallace is not worth that much money, especially when the Steelers could sign Brown & Sanders for that same money (maybe)...which would be two for the price of one.
2. The Steelers will go the more logical route (Brown & Sanders).
3. Wallace missing OTAs only exacerbates point #2.

LloydWoodson:
Ha, ha, ha...nicely played, sir. That made me audibly chuckle.

Hey...Goodell might actually levy an even bigger suspension...because, Sanders targeted his OWN ankles & knees this past season.

teegre
05-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Timing correct?

When did I compare myself to Big Ben???

The debate about Big Ben's injuries being the possible cause of Wallace's late-season slump is indeed interesting (good point, with many good counterpoints). As would be a discussion about whether Sanders could ever surpass Wallace as a receiver (again, there are good points & counterpoints that could be discussed.)

But, you do not seem to be the person with whom I would enjoy discussing things. Why? Rational...or, lack theeof. As in: the immediate insertion that I somehow said that I'm a better QB than Big Ben; that comment baffles me...and, in turn, I have lost interest in corresponding with you.

tanda10506
05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I agree it's possible. Brown looks like a much better route runner, he gets YAC, and he's quick. The thing is we won't really know how good he is till Wallace leaves. If Wallace left Brown would be the obvious #1 and he would get the focus and the double teams by the defense, that's the true test of a #1 WR. A good #1 WR isn't just a threat, he's a WR who beats double teams and makes big catches, and that will be the test for Wallace this year. A lot of us think his play dropped off because of the double teams, that may be so or it may not, but this year he has to beat double teams to be considered a top WR IMO. With Wallace taking the double teams Brown will have a great year, even if we put him at #1 Wallace will still be the one getting double teamed. As far as Sanders goes, he might be our best route runner and he is faster then Brown straight line, I still think he might have the most potential out of all of them but we will see.

Goldsteel86
05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Well IMO opinion the thread was started spot on, very good points that make you think, it is very possible this is the future of the Steelers WR corps. Excellent way to introduce yourself to Steelers Forums, kudos!!!!!

teegre
05-24-2012, 07:08 PM
I agree it's possible. Brown looks like a much better route runner, he gets YAC, and he's quick. The thing is we won't really know how good he is till Wallace leaves. If Wallace left Brown would be the obvious #1 and he would get the focus and the double teams by the defense, that's the true test of a #1 WR. A good #1 WR isn't just a threat, he's a WR who beats double teams and makes big catches, and that will be the test for Wallace this year. A lot of us think his play dropped off because of the double teams, that may be so or it may not, but this year he has to beat double teams to be considered a top WR IMO. With Wallace taking the double teams Brown will have a great year, even if we put him at #1 Wallace will still be the one getting double teamed. As far as Sanders goes, he might be our best route runner and he is faster then Brown straight line, I still think he might have the most potential out of all of them but we will see.

If Wallace sits out for the pre-season games, it truly would be interesting. Then, the Steelers could truly see how effective their offense would be without Wallace. Because, as of right now, no one truly knows.

Would Brown still be as effective? Can Sanders handle the #2 position?

If the answers are "no" & "no"...well...then, the Steelers would need to pay Wallace (albeit, not $15 million per year).

But if the answers are "yes" & "yes"...well...Wallace would have (even less) leverage.

Again, interesting.

pancake
05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't share the excitment about sanders, that other do on here. My hope is that we keep Brown and Wallace.

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Brown ready to get to work at OTAs

Posted 5/24/12
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Wide receiver Antonio Brown was voted the Steelers MVP last season, but said winning that honor hasn’t put any more pressure on him this year.

“I wouldn’t say pressure,” said Brown, who has been at the team’s practice facility since voluntary workouts began on April 16. “Every year you want to study tape, study yourself and get better from it. All I want to do is get better from last year and do more than I did last year.

“I just have to work within myself to be better. I just have to take care of my game.”

Brown, who finished the 2011 season with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and two touchdowns, knows that this offseason is pivotal with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley and that OTAs are more valuable than ever this year.

“It’s going to be key for us guys to get in and start studying so we can get on the same page and talk the same language,” said Brown. “It’s going to be special. Guys are here now working out to get the ball rolling. We have to build off it as we head to training camp.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-ready-to-get-to-work-at-OTAs/40b91cf5-d4ee-40df-90db-d02ce3a86dc7

Kingmagyar
05-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Sign Antonio Brown this summer or pay a lot more next year. A lot more.

Brown is Hines Ward to Wallace's Plaxico Burress. And who did the Steelers keep?

teegre
05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Sign Antonio Brown this summer or pay a lot more next year. A lot more.

Brown is Hines Ward to Wallace's Plaxico Burress. And who did the Steelers keep?

Great point.

While the strengths of Plax & Wallace are vastly different, it is a similar debate from 2004 (Brown vs. Wallace is eerily similar to Ward vs. Plax).

Again, great point.

Cherinko
05-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Wallace doesn't make splash plays? Wallace drops easy balls? Honestly sounds like some of you are creating alternate realities as a coping mechanism because you expect Wallace to be on his way out.

Wallace had more TD's, a higher YPC, and a higher YAC in 2011. According to Yahoo Sports, Wallace had 72 catches on 113 targets (63.7%) whereas Brown had 69 on 123 (57.0%). Wallace caught 72 passes out of 76 catchable balls - a 5.26% (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/) drop rate that's good for 13th best. Brown is without a doubt a fine receiver (from what we can tell from 1 year). Wallace is even better; putting up superior stats with more attention drawn his way. Antonio Brown is hardly even in Mike Wallace's tier yet, much less equal or superior to him.

Ben is a veteran. Wallace is entering his 4th season. Wallace has the playbook. They're not strangers. Whatever familiarity is lost between Ben and Wallace will be restored shortly after their reunion.

teegre
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Wallace doesn't make splash plays? Wallace drops easy balls? Honestly sounds like some of you are creating alternate realities as a coping mechanism because you expect Wallace to be on his way out.

Wallace had more TD's, a higher YPC, and a higher YAC in 2011. According to Yahoo Sports, Wallace had 72 catches on 113 targets (63.7%) whereas Brown had 69 on 123 (57.0%). Wallace caught 72 passes out of 76 catchable balls - a 5.26% (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/17/drop-rate-2011-which-receivers-are-dropping-the-ball/) drop rate that's good for 13th best. Brown is without a doubt a fine receiver (from what we can tell from 1 year). Wallace is even better; putting up superior stats with more attention drawn his way. Antonio Brown is hardly even in Mike Wallace's tier yet, much less equal or superior to him.

Ben is a veteran. Wallace is entering his 4th season. Wallace has the playbook. They're not strangers. Whatever familiarity is lost between Ben and Wallace will be restored shortly after their reunion.

Good, intelligent post...supported by stats. And, you are correct: we Steelers fans tend to "turn" on players who hold out (& in turn, sway our "facts"). I can even remember people bashing Hines Ward.

Counterpoints...

Timing: I guess that I am thinking about the deep balls where Wallace is wide open & Ben either overthrows or underthrows Wallace. True, more often than not, Wallace adjusts to come back for the ball, but the two of them are not quite "in sync." And, sitting out won't help with that. [The two missed touchdowns in the SuperBowl counted for like seven missed connections (in my mind...and my mind alone).]

Drops: What flusters Steelers fans is when Wallace drops balls at key times (end of games, in play-off games). Those appear to be more significant/stick in one's memory, while statistically, he doesn't truly drop as many as it would appear.

Remember this: Brown was second in the league in total yards (second only to Darren Sproles). Brown is a legitimate weapon.

Regardless, the point is still the same:

1. Wallace is not worth Fitzgerald type of money.

2. The Steelers have leverage, in the fact that Brown & Sanders are up & coming.

3. The Steelers could sign BOTH Brown & Sanders for the money that Wallace is demanding.

And...

4. The impetus for this thread is that while Wallace is not working on his timing, Brown & Sanders are.