PDA

View Full Version : Ty Law Signs With Chiefs

CantStop85
07-23-2006, 07:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2527839
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law agreed to a five-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

Law will rejoin Herman Edwards, who coached him with the New York Jets last year, when the veteran came back from a severe foot injury and led the NFL with 10 interceptions. Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said Law will take his physical Monday.

Edwards, who replaced Dick Vermeil as head coach of the Chiefs, is a former Pro Bowl cornerback and has vowed to revamp a Kansas City defense that the past five years has been near the bottom of the league.

The 32-year-old Law, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, will pair with Patrick Surtain in what could be the Chiefs' strongest secondary since James Hasty and Dale Carter anchored the backfield in the mid-1990s.

Also bolstering the defense will be end Tamba Hali, the team's first-round pick out of Penn State who is thought to be close to signing a contract that would get him in uniform for the start of training camp in River Falls, Wis., on Friday.

Since 2001, a woeful defense has hurt the Chiefs' offense, which racked up yards and points behind running backs Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez, and Pro Bowl linemen Brian Waters, Will Shields and Willie Roaf.

But the defense last year showed signs of coming around, with the signing of Surtain and the emergence of second-year defensive end Jared Allen, who led the team with 11 sacks.

Law cost the Jets around $6 million last year. Terms of his deal with Kansas City were not immediately available.

His presence is certain to excite both fans and teammates, as it did Allen, who was driving to Kansas City on Sunday when told of the news.

"That is awesome," he shouted. When he turned to teammate and linebacker Boomer Grigsby and told him, Grigsby let out a whoop, too.

"That's going to be a huge help to us," Allen said. "Our defense is going to be awesome. The guy's a great athlete, a great player. He's been to the Super Bowl."

The Chiefs talked with Law last year before he signed with the Jets. They were one of several teams interested in picking him up this season.

"I didn't think it would happen," Allen said. "Rumors were always floating around. But I'm really glad we got him."

MattsMe
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Looks like the Chiefs might improve their defense just in time to watch their offensive line retire.

Ambridge
07-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Looks like Ty will be coming back to the scene of his severe foot injury when the Chiefs visit the Steelers this upcoming season at Heinz Field.
He originally injured his foot at Heinz Field in the '04 season when he was playing for the Pats.

BlackNGold203
07-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Herm is gonna toughen that team up...they will be competitive

Livinginthe past
07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Looks like my 50/50 shot panned out.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7248

Im not sure what the exact details of the deal are but 5 years is way too much for a 32 year old - especially one whose injury record is deteriorating.

I look at this as a typical signing of a team that overpays in order to find the 'final piece of the jigsaw' - these acquistions rarely seem to work out.

Look forward to seeing the new 'awesome' KC defense!!!

NM

X-Terminator
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
A 5-year contract for Law? Are they freaking insane???

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I think the "old" boy's still got it and while I agree that he and Surtan will be a formidable force together in the Chiefs' secondary, I think a 5 year contract is a little over the top. The Chiefs are another team I wouldn't count out of the race in the upcoming season.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
In my opinion, he's done. I also agree with the statement that this is a perfect example of a team going out and signing a "name" at this point in time in order to try and get their team over the hump in which I believe will fail.

I'm still trying to figure out the 5 years........

ExtonSteelFan
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
I think the signing of Law is definetley going to improve the defense. Herm is also going to get them in order too. As long as everyone stays healthy I see the Cheifs a legitimate playoff team this year. I can't wait to see the game in Heinz field this October!

Ambridge
07-24-2006, 09:19 AM
The Chiefs know they wont get five years out of Ty Law.
They probably had to write the contract for that period of time so that his number is salary cap friendly.

I heard that Law's asking price in guaranteed money was between 7-10 Million dollars.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Well, this season he's coming back to the place where he broke his foot. Should be interesting. That's if he isn't injured by the time they come to Heinz......

At least this puts to rest all the "hometown discount" talk that finds it's way to Steeler MB's after every season. His past arrests alone were reason enough for me not wanting him in the first place, even for a hometown discount.

lilyoder6
07-24-2006, 10:26 AM
still he is a good cb.. we should have tried to get him

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
still he is a good cb.. we should have tried to get him

Alright. Nevermind mind the arrests, why should the Steelers have gone after a 37 year old CB with injury problems who tends to demand more cash than he's worth?

Better yet, why should we have gone after Ty Law when we just won a Super Bowl with Ike Taylor (who will only get better IMO), Townsend (solid player with time under his belt) and McFadden who I feel will be a very good CB for this team in years to come?

It doesn't make sense. Waste of money and waste of a roster spot.

boLT fan
07-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Herm is gonna toughen that team up...they will be competitive
:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Thanks for the good laugh. I can't wait for Herm to run the Chiefs into the ground.

But as for Ty Law, I still wish the Chargers would've signed him...

lilyoder6
07-24-2006, 02:20 PM
i know our corners are good, but he led the league in int last yr. and yes he does demand a lot of money and what other way to help ike and townsend d\become better with help of a veterean corner. i could careless if we got him.. i just sayin we should of tried and we still have to re-sign ike...we didn't try to get anybody from another team this yr except for ryan clark maybe. we should of tried to get brandon lloyd, or some other ppl

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't pass it by the Chiefs to grab a wildcard spot.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
i know our corners are good

So why sign somebody when we are "good" in that specific area?

he does demand a lot of money

One of many reasons why the Steelers wouldn't have and shouldn't have went after him. Add the injuries and the fact that he's 37 years old.

Also, what's the big deal with the fact that we "only" signed one player from another team this year? We are coming off a Super Bowl victory. There is no need to go out and sign anybody or everybody out of FA. Unless we are in desperate need for a position you won't see the Steelers sign names off the FA list. Example: Since we are "good" at the CB position, there was no need to sign a CB. For the record, I think Ryan Clark will be a nice addition.

Livinginthe past
07-25-2006, 01:26 AM
:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Thanks for the good laugh. I can't wait for Herm to run the Chiefs into the ground.

But as for Ty Law, I still wish the Chargers would've signed him...

Hmmm.

I wouldnt bet against Herm doing some good work with Kansas this year.

He is an under-rated coach, which I believe is down to his uninspiring press conferences.

Its kind of a shame that one of the best offensive units of all time never made it to the big game - they were hamstrung by a coach who refused to invest in a respectable defense, or even a decent defensive coach, until it was too late.

I say 'kind of a shame' because if the Chiefs had made it to a couple of SB's it would have been at the expense of the Patriots.

NM

lilyoder6
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
ty law is 32 yrs old. there were times when the corners did get burned. i they are still developing and they could of used a good veteren cb to help the progess out. and if the steelers want to open the passing game we can't rely on ward/miller and wilson who only showed up in the playoffs.. i HOPE that holmes is good as he says he is or we wasted a 1st and a 2nd round pick for him.

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
ty law is 32 yrs old. there were times when the corners did get burned. i they are still developing and they could of used a good veteren cb to help the progess out. and if the steelers want to open the passing game we can't rely on ward/miller and wilson who only showed up in the playoffs.. i HOPE that holmes is good as he says he is or we wasted a 1st and a 2nd round pick for him.

Wait.........Ward and Miller only showed up in the playoffs? Your joking right? Cedrick Wilson, I will agree with.

What does opening up the passing game have to do with Ty Law? Were you planning on making him a WR?

There were times our corners got burned? It happens. They can't be perfect. Once again, we won the Super Bowl with those CB's. I ask again, what makes you think Law would want to be that "veteran teacher"? Eitherway, I still feel Townsend, Darren Perry and Ray Horton are capable of teaching our younger CB's a thing or two.

HometownGal
07-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Of course there were times when our corners were burned - that happens to all NFL DBs during the course of a season. Ike Taylor has 4 years under his belt, granted not all as a starter, but from his play last season, I'd say he's gotten the overall scheme of things the LeBeau way. Deshea Townsend is a 9 year vet and while he wouldn't be lumped into the "elite" category, he is adequate at his position imho. Colclough and McFadden are coming along just fine, especially McFadden, and I'm pleased with their progression. While I have always liked Ty Law as a player, I don't feel that we need him or any other "veteran CB" to help the progress of any of our CBs.

Stillers#1
07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Wait.........Ward and Miller only showed up in the playoffs? Your joking right?

What does opening up the passing game have to do with Ty Law? Were you planning on making him a WR?

There were times our corners got burned? It happens. They can't be perfect. Once again, we won the Super Bowl with those CB's. I ask again, what makes you think Law would want to be that "veteran teacher"? Eitherway, I still feel Townsend, Darren Perry and Ray Horton are capable of teaching our younger CB's a thing or two.

I think he was saying Wilson only showed up in the playoffs, which ummmm is where I wanted him to show up. Better late than never. As far as us signing Ty Law goes, it would have done nothing but hurt the team. We have 4 very solid corners 2 or which IMO would start for most teams (Deshea and Ike). I think Coclough will still pan out as a very, very solid #3 once Deshea leaves. I am more concerned abotu keeping McFadden than I am Ike, although I wouldn't mind seeing Ike having one more season that is on the brink of greatness, so his asking price won't be as high as I think it could be.

Bottom line, anyone who thinks that we should have tried to go after Ty Law can reference the Chiefs at the end of the season, when they have one of the worst passing D's in the league (Law is gonna get burnt non-stop).

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Whoops, I read it wrong. My apologies and thank you Stillers#1.

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Of course there were times when our corners were burned - that happens to all NFL DBs during the course of a season. Ike Taylor has 4 years under his belt, granted not all as a starter, but from his play last season, I'd say he's gotten the overall scheme of things the LeBeau way. Deshea Townsend is a 9 year vet and while he wouldn't be lumped into the "elite" category, he is adequate at his position imho. Colclough and McFadden are coming along just fine, especially McFadden, and I'm pleased with their progression. While I have always liked Ty Law as a player, I don't feel that we need him or any other "veteran CB" to help the progress of any of our CBs.

Well stated. :smile:

lilyoder6
07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
wow... :iagree: