PDA

View Full Version : Steve McLendon- 325 lb beast

tony hipchest
05-23-2012, 07:03 PM
steve mclendon is reportedly weighing in at 325 lbs, way above his listed weight of 280.

no wonder his position coach told everyone not to foget about him or write him off when alameda ta'amu was drafted to replace hampton. or start this season until he is off the PUP list.

i love his attitude. heres a great quote he gave mark kaboly today-

“I want to be able to be smart like Hoke, I want to be quick like Jay Ratliff and I want to be powerful and strong like Hamp....
... You put all that together and I want that to be Steve McLendon.”

- Steve McLendon

finesward
05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Breakout player of the year candidate? Nothing better than a guy trying to prove something. Wallace brown redman Willie parker and of course hines ward, all came with a chip on their shoukder. Let's hope stevie pans out and makes taamu quality depth to build towards being a future starter

Dalarin
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I knew he was around 305 when he started last year. Good for him, and good for us as fans.

Fire Arians
05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
280 was bs and you could tell just looking at him standing next to anybody. he might have been 280 as a rookie, lol

anyway I like mclendon, he is a solid backup

steeltheone
05-23-2012, 09:27 PM
You could tell no difference when Mclendon or Hampton was playing....Just a fact

tanda10506
05-23-2012, 10:38 PM
You could tell no difference when Mclendon or Hampton was playing....Just a fact

Agreed, I don't know why everybody was set on him not being able to handle the load. He never looked 280 and when he played there was no drop off. I'm glad we got Ta'Amu cause he already seems like he's ready to play but McClendon may end up being our future starter still.

STEELAMANIA
05-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Not sold on McClendon yet even tho he did show some potential. Maybe this is his breakout year?

Bayz101
05-24-2012, 01:45 PM
He had me at "Smart like Hoke".

tanda10506
05-24-2012, 01:57 PM
He had me at "Smart like Hoke".

It would be nice if he goes 16-0 like Hoke too!

pancake
05-24-2012, 11:11 PM
It would be nice if he goes 16-0 like Hoke too!

Hoke went 16-0? What stretch?

Steelerfreak58
05-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Rotating D Line would be nice. Have guys fresh in the late 3rd and 4th. Pressure up the middle would be nice.

Wallabeast17
05-24-2012, 11:53 PM

The team was 16-0 when he started..(no stretch, just in when he started)

pancake
05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
The team was 16-0 when he started..(no stretch, just in when he started)

He should have started every playoff game... lol

Kingmagyar
05-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Glad he mentioned a guy like Jay Ratliff who is more a penetrating play maker behind the line of scimmage. A NT doesn't have to be a fire hydrant.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
That is good that he bulked up to play NT more effectively. I think in the long run that he is probably better playing around 300lbs and could be a better 5 technique than a NT. Have always liked his motor.

ebsteelers
05-25-2012, 10:24 AM

over the course of his career..

16 starts
16 wins

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Someone showed up at the OTA's today.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582274_10150938359334905_146175949904_9607517_5686 87839_n.jpg

tony hipchest
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Someone showed up at the OTA's today.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582274_10150938359334905_146175949904_9607517_5686 87839_n.jpg

damn, big ben is looking kinda chunky, old, and bald (needs to lose that goatee as well). :chuckle:

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
damn, big ben is looking kinda chunky, old, and bald (needs to lose that goatee as well). :chuckle:

Yeah, definitely. Needs to quit talking to people too. He's not a good talker. But he's hilarious, that's for sure :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
05-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Nose tackle McLendon has earned Steelers’ trust

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=FzUoi G2pv5GuGoT8WiybT8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYu$uCyzOrfNTos BpzwR2eBgWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers' Steve McLendon during OTAs on the South Side May 23, 2012. Chaz Palla | Tribune Review

Steve McLendon has been released five times during his three years with the Steelers. Now he could be in line to start at nose tackle.

April 27, 2009: Signed as undrafted
free agent

Sept. 5, 2009: Released

Sept. 6, 2009: Signed to practice squad

Nov. 25, 2009: Released

Dec. 2, 2009: Signed to practice squad

Sept. 4, 2010: Released

Sept. 6, 2010: Signed to practice squad

Sept. 18, 2010: Signed to 53-man roster

Sept. 20, 2010: Released

Sept. 21, 2010: Signed to practice squad

Oct. 2, 2010: Signed to 53-man roster

Oct. 7, 2010: Released

Oct. 11, 2010: Signed to practice squad

Oct. 30, 2010: Signed to 53-man roster

John Mitchell doesn’t arbitrarily hand out compliments; it’s not his style. Instead, the Steelers’ defensive line coach is known to motivate through intimidation.

So when Mitchell went out of his way last month after the Steelers drafted nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu to praise third-year undrafted free agent Steve McLendon, eyebrows were raised.

“Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over,” Mitchell said. “I’m just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision.”

The Steelers already have made their decision.

They have full confidence in McLendon, who has been released almost as many times as he has recorded a tackle, if veteran Casey Hampton’s surgically repaired knee isn’t ready for the season opener Sept. 9.

“That comes from trust,” McLendon said. “That trust comes from doing everything right. You are not going to be perfect, but (Mitchell) saw that I came in day in and day out with my lunch pail and I was ready to work. Coach Mitch knows that I know my stuff.”

McLendon was asked to fill in at nose tackle last year, first when Chris Hoke was injured, then later when Hampton went down. In the two games McLendon played the most, the defense held Arizona to 73 rushing yards and Denver to 40 below its season average.

McLendon has caught the attention of not only the coaching staff but also some veterans.

“He might be the strongest dude on the defense,” offensive lineman Trai Essex said. “The man has a mean stiff-arm and gets inside of you. He is an exceptional athlete for his size.”

The knock on McLendon hasn’t been his strength but his size.

He weighed 280 pounds in his first year with the Steelers. McLendon is still listed on the roster at that weight but now weighs 325 pounds to go with his 6-foot-4 frame.

“He is way too cut up to be a typical nose tackle,” Essex said. “There is not too much fat on that guy. This kid is going to be good.”

In a division where Haloti Ngata, Domata Peko and Phil Taylor look like fire plugs, McLendon is out to show different isn’t necessarily bad when it comes to nose tackles.

“I am not going to look like what everybody wants me to look like,” he said. “A lot of nose tackles use their size as their strength. I use my power as my strength. I am not going to look like Casey Hampton. I feel like if I look good, I will play good.”

With Hampton likely to start the season on the physically unable to perform list and Ta’amu switching from end to nose in his rookie year, the Steelers have no reservations turning the position over to a guy they cut five times in a span of 13 months.

McLendon is confident in his abilities.

“My goal is to be great in every aspect of my game,” McLendon said. “If there is something that Coach Mitch sees that I need to get better at, I told him to let me know. All I want to do is get better.”

McLendon is learning the roles of the entire defense, which he feels will help him perform better in games. McLendon credits Hoke for helping him with the mental aspect of the position.

“The tough part is the mental part,” he said. “Knowing what to do and how to do and when to do it is important. I picked Hokie’s brain every chance I got last year.”

McLendon has a specific concept of what kind of player he eventually wants to be.

“I want to be able to be smart like Hoke. I want to be quick like (Dallas’) Jay Ratliff, and I want to be powerful and strong like Hamp,” McLendon said. “You put all that together, and I want that to be Steve McLendon.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1863450-85/mclendon-2010-nose-signed-steelers-sept-released-tackle-2009-practice

Hawaii 5-0
05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Steve McLendon could start at NT for Steelers

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com
Published: May 28, 2012

With Casey Hampton coming off knee surgery and likely to begin the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list, the Pittsburgh Steelers have enough confidence in Steve McLendon that he could be their starting nose tackle come Week 1.

"Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over," Steelers defensive line coach John Mitchell recently said, via Mark Kabloy of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I'm just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision."

Undrafted out of Troy in 2009, the 6-foot-4, 325-pound McLendon spent his first season on the Steelers' practice squad before appearing in 21 games over the past two seasons. McLendon has 15 tackles and one sack in fewer than 200 total plays.

Earlier this offseason, the Steelers restructured Hampton's contract, cutting his base salary by over $2 million and eliminating a $1 million workout bonus. The Steelers also used a fourth-round pick on University of Washington defensive lineman Alameda Ta'amu, but he is changing positions and is unable to participate in the OTAs because his school operates on the "quarters" system. McLendon said his opportunity to earn a starting job began when he earned the team's trust.

"That comes from trust," McLendon said. "That trust comes from doing everything right. You are not going to be perfect, but (Mitchell) saw that I came in day in and day out with my lunch pail and I was ready to work. Coach Mitch knows that I know my stuff."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82964380/article/steve-mclendon-could-start-at-dt-for-steelers

tony hipchest
05-28-2012, 01:52 PM
"That comes from trust," McLendon said. "That trust comes from doing everything right. You are not going to be perfect, but (Mitchell) saw that I came in day in and day out with my lunch pail and I was ready to work. Coach Mitch knows that I know my stuff."

its getting real hard to temper my enthusiasm for theis guy. he couldnt have had a finer mentor than chris hoke.

sounds like all that added weight is muscle and not fat, which definitely sounds beastly. :tt02:

Hawaii 5-0
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Steelers NT Steve McLendon Poised to Start in 2012

by Neal Coolong on May 28, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4171160/129364623_extra_large.jpg

NFL Around The League writer (and BTSC friend) Brian McIntyre wrote an interesting piece on Steelers NT Steve McLendon, expounding on the work done by Tribune-Review writer Mark Kaboly. The subject of both articles was to show McLendon as a potential starter among the Steelers defensive line.

They both certainly make a good case for it, but they seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Odds are excellent McLendon will be the starter in Week 1.

Kaboly quoted an aggressive-sounding Steelers defensive line coach Johnny Mitchell, who is vouching for McLendon:

"Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over. I'm just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision."

I don't think I need to wait until the season is over. McLendon is reputed to be a workout warrior, and has studied the defense diligently in his three years in the league. He's always had quickness but he's been adding power, reportedly weighing in at 325 pounds.

The drafting of Alameda Ta'amu could, to some, dampen enthusiasm toward McLendon, but the fact is McLendon had been filling in for Hampton much of last season, after NT Chris Hoke's season was ended due to a neck injury.

Coach Mitchell isn't going to give out starting jobs via the media, but the fact he went as far as he did to praise McLendon only suggests the job is his, and the expectations for him are high.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/28/3048145/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-poised-to-start-in-2012#storyjump

Hawaii 5-0
05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
this rugby dude really is a beast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DhskvFHeb6Y

Zimbabwean rugby player named “Beast” lives up to his nickname with this incredible feat of strength

By Jeff G.

http://cdn.lastangryfan.com/wp-content/uploads/thebeast-252x300.jpg?adb689

Rugby players are hulking men who are some of the toughest S.O.B.s on the planet because the game itself is a rough and tumble affair with players wearing not a stitch of protective clothing. Plus it has guys like Tendai “Beast” Mtawarira, a Zimbabwean-born rugby union player for the Sharks of the Super Rugby league playing in it, and as you’re about to see, Mtawarira lives up to his nickname with this amazing play he pulled off in a recent match against the Stormers.

On a kickoff, Beast shows off his powerful upper body strength by picking up teammate Anton Bresler and lifting him up and over his head so that Bresler can make the catch, then holds him so that his mate doesn’t end up falling right on top of his head, in what can only be described as a sort of clean-and-jerk using a grown man. It’s nothing short of impressive to see a 256-pound gent lifting his 247-pound teammate over his head before gently placing him back on the ground, where he’s immediately beset upon by players from the Stormers in the ensuing scrum.

Prepare to be amazed…

http://network.yardbarker.com/rugby/article_external/zimbabwean_rugby_player_named_beast_lives_up_to_hi s_nickname_with_this_incredible_feat_of_strength/10889663?linksrc=home_vv_head_10889663

tony hipchest
05-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Zimbabwean rugby player named “Beast” lives up to his nickname with this incredible feat of strength

Prepare to be amazed…
]

lol... that was SICK!

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
45 More Reasons To Like Steve McLendon

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012
By Jeremy Hritz

There was no shortage of buzz surrounding nose tackle Steve McLendon during the first week of organized team activities. McLendon, who was named the MVP in three different sports during his senior year at Carroll High School in Ozark, Alabama, showed up with a little something extra.

45 of ‘em to be exact.

The 6’4 McLendon, who was listed on the Steelers website a bit on the light side for the nose tackle position last year at 280, arrived at a reported 325 pounds. It was rumored that he weighed over 300 pounds at the end of last season, but now we have verification. However, his mass is more jacked than jiggle. While not a prototypical nose tackle with his height, McLendon’s position coach John Mitchell has confidence in his ability to man the position. After the draft, Mitchell said about McLendon, “Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over.” Now whether or not Mitchell said this to motivate McLendon because he believes in his abilities, or whether he said it to temper the blow of the drafting of Alameda Ta’amu, nobody knows. However, McLendon will most likely begin the season as the starting nose tackle by default as a result of Casey Hampton’s ACL injury, barring a highly-unlikely phenomenal showing in training camp by Ta’amu.

McLendon finds himself staring at a once in a lifetime opportunity: the chance to start for the most prestigious defense on one of the league’s most prestigious teams, and possibly the chance to make his coach look like a genius by proving that he has what it takes to relegate Hampton to a backup.

Not bad for a guy who went undrafted out of Troy University.

McLendon was signed as a free agent by the Steelers in 2009 and spent the part of the season on the practice squad. In 2010, McLendon saw some action on the defensive line and on special teams, recording two tackles and one fumble recovery against Tennessee. He was also released and resigned three times during the year.

This past season, McLendon made noticeable contributions to the team on defense, starting against the Arizona Cardinals due to a Hampton injury, racking up five tackles and one quarterback hurry. In a season that the Steelers defense uncharacteristically struggled against the run, McLendon’s starting role against the Cardinals helped limit them to only 73 yards rushing. He finished the 2011 season with 13 total tackles and one sack.

It speaks volumes about McLendon that his coaches felt confident enough to start him in only his third year, being that he was an undrafted player. The Steelers are hoping that in his fourth season, McLendon can continue his development and be an impact player to help the run defense regain its edge. The Steelers have scored on undrafted players before, and they may be on the verge of boasting another if McLendon can make the most of his opportunity.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/45-more-reasons-to-like-steve-mclendon/

Hawaii 5-0
06-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Steelers Shape Shifters: What’s The Story With These New Looks?

Sunday, June 10th, 2012 by Christopher DiMarino

This is a time of the offseason where finding Steeler specific news in the general media is tough. Most are discussing top draft picks and key free agent transitions, yet outside of Warren Sapp's belligerence and the alleged friction between Todd Haley and Ben Roethlisberger, the media is avoiding the Pittsburgh Steelers for the most part. The biggest stories coming out of Steeler specific news sites lately seem to revolve around players making drastic changes. Ziggy Hood, Steve McLendon and Trai Essex have all changed shape this offseason. How much of an effect will it have on their on-field play and the Steelers success in 2012?

I'll start with McLendon. The big reports showed him jumping from 280lbs up all the way to 325lbs! I read a little too far into his weight increase and Dave brought up the valid point that he was likely somewhere near this weight towards the end of last season. The weight delta or timeline are trivial, the importance lies in what this means for him on the field. McLendon has big shoes to fill being the injury replacement for Casey Hampton, and he's also trying to prove that he can be a franchise nose tackle for years to come. He's no stranger to the field and has the backing of defensive line coach John Mitchell in addition. The key variable in this situation is McLendon. Being the nose tackle for the Steelers is both an important and prestigious position. It can be said that his performance will directly contribute to the successes of this defense in 2012.

Though many won't admit it, the effects of nose tackles are mostly mental. Teams know that they had to double Hampton which is exactly what the Steelers wanted. The nose tackle must occupy two blockers and in the better case stalemate their motion. When a team is preparing for McLendon, they might not give him that respect. This will give the former undrafted free agent the upper hand to prove he is worthy of that double team. To gauge his success early, watch how many times opposing teams are doubling him, and when they don't, how much penetration he's able to get. He must be a space occupier and whether extra bulk will help him with that remains to be seen.

Sticking with the defensive line, Hood has had the most impressive change from a football standpoint. If you've listened to the podcast where David and Dave interviewed Hood's trainer Bill Nichol, then you were probably astounded by how much of an improvement he made this offseason. I know that he is a professional athlete, and that being in top physical form is to be expected, but Hood isn't a slouch. He has a wide reputation as a workout warrior who is constantly in the weight room. Add in the fact that he was a first round pick and tell me that if that caliber player increased his strength you wouldn't be excited.

The key with Hood has always been for him to translate raw ability into results on the football field. While he doesn't need to rack up the sacks, he does need to provide constant pressure. In fact, the reason why I think Brett Keisel is so effective, aside from his long arms, is that he has a very consistent motor. Pass rushing is a game-long battle against the opposing offensive line and he needs to wear down his man. Look for him to be able to constantly deliver pressure and keep the quarterback confined to the pocket. If he can do this on a consistent basis and blow up some run plays in the backfield, then his reputation as a one gap player will be irrelevant.

Essex has the most curious transition; he lost a boat load of weight. The perplexing part is understanding if that will be a benefit or a detriment for him. While losing weight from a health stand point is always important, his performance on the football field might be affected. The key here is that the Steelers were concerned about him being overweight and he dealt with it. From an organizational standpoint, I believe the Steelers are very happy with him, but once training camp starts it will be a full out competition for him against second round pick Mike Adams.

Essex is an average height for and tackle at 6'5, so the loss of weight might affect him against bull rushes. I want to remind everyone that this change could have been at a massive change to his strength and conditioning, but his playing ability will likely have to adjust. I don't like getting overly speculative, but if we use the picture of him on Steelers Depot as a reference, it looks like he lost enough weight to starkly affect his playing style.

Essex, Hood and McLendon all had very different transitions. McLendon's transformation might be old news. Hood has always been a workout warrior, but took it to the next level. Essex changed from a player with weight concerns to an underweight athlete who might have to change his game. At the very least, all three guys will be exciting to watch this year. While reps are guaranteed for some more than others, all are involved in positional battles. I believe all three will be better players because outside of the work involved in weight loss or muscle gain, the one constant that remains is very strong will power and effort to succeed.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/steelers-shape-shifters-whats-the-story-with-these-new-looks/

pancake
06-11-2012, 03:13 AM
45 More Reasons To Like Steve McLendon

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012
By Jeremy Hritz

There was no shortage of buzz surrounding nose tackle Steve McLendon during the first week of organized team activities. McLendon, who was named the MVP in three different sports during his senior year at Carroll High School in Ozark, Alabama, showed up with a little something extra.

Anyone know what those 3 are?

TheVet
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Essex has the most curious transition; he lost a boat load of weight. The perplexing part is understanding if that will be a benefit or a detriment for him. While losing weight from a health stand point is always important, his performance on the football field might be affected.
:doh:
LOL, this guy must not have watched much film on Essex. He's perplexed as to whether the weight loss will be a benefit or a detriment? There's nowhere to go but up.

The key here is that the Steelers were concerned about him being overweight and he dealt with it. From an organizational standpoint, I believe the Steelers are very happy with him, but once training camp starts it will be a full out competition for him against second round pick Mike Adams.
:doh:
If Adams vs. Essex is a serious competition, then we're talking bust.

bornaSteelersfan
06-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Anyone know what those 3 are?

Football, Basketball, and Track. His grades weren't very good in High School, but came in as a "walk on" to the Troy Trojans.

Hawaii 5-0
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Coaches have confidence in McLendon

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
July 9, 2012

Moments after the Steelers selected nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu in the fourth-round of this year’s NFL Draft, defensive line Coach John Mitchell sat in the team’s media room fielding questions from the reporters on hand.

After a few questions about Ta’amu, Mitchell was asked about Steve McLendon, hinting that he isn’t the prototypical nose tackle at 6-4, 280 pounds.

Mitchell didn’t hesitate with his answer.

“Everybody wants to discard McLendon, let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over,” said Mitchell emphatically. “I'm just saying keep your opinion until after the season, you make the decision.”

When McLendon heard Mitchell’s words, he couldn’t help it but smile.

“It shows he has confidence in me,” said McLendon. “He only says stuff like that if he is confident in you. I am going to come to work every day and show him I can do this.

“People may say I am not the classic nose tackle, but what is the classic nose tackle. Some nose tackles are big, some small. If you look at Jay Ratliff for the Cowboys he is not a big nose tackle, but he plays very well. You look at Casey Hampton and he is a big nose tackle and plays well. I figure I will be in between. If I can move quick at nose and play strong at nose, it’s all going to work itself out for me.”

With Mitchell having high expectations for McLendon this season, it comes as no surprise that the third-year tackle out of Troy has the same type of expectations of himself.

“I want to be great,” said McLendon. “I have taken my work ethic to the next level. I am pushing myself every day. If the stars are where I want to reach, I need to reach past them. The expectations are really, really high. That should be of everybody in the Steelers organization. The expectation is to win the Super Bowl and be great.”

McLendon signed with the Steelers in 2009 as an undrafted rookie. He spent the majority of the 2009 season on the practice squad, was waived before the start of the 2010 season, spending the first few months of the season bouncing from the practice squad to the active roster.

He finally solidified a spot on the roster mid-way through the 2010 season, and became a vital back-up in 2011, fighting tooth and nail every step of the way.

“You have to remember what got you here, hard work and fighting,” said McLendon. “If you fight for it every day things happen. No one else believes in you, you should believe in yourself. I believe I can do the job. I am ready for anything.”

With Chris Hoke retiring this offseason, McLendon is going to have to be ready as the number one backup to Hampton, who is coming back from a knee injury in the AFC wild card game. If Hampton can’t go, it will be McLendon that gets the call.

“It is an opportunity for me and the rest of us,” said McLendon. “We all have to step up. It is a real good opportunity for me as well.”

One person who is helping to make sure McLendon is ready to step up is defensive end Ziggy Hood. They both came to the Steelers the same year, Hood as the number one pick, while McLendon was a free agent. They formed an immediate friendship, the two always together, always in the weight room pushing themselves and working hard.

“I know he has my back,” said McLendon. “If I know one person has my back, we can go against many. It’s the same thing with the other guys, but everyone always sees Ziggy and I together. He was the first pick and I was the last guy to come in. We come from two different places. I watched his film before he even came here. He is the like a brother to me.

“In order to be great we have to separate from the rest. This game is about competition. We want to push each other to be great. I want to be great so bad, he does too. We both want to play for a long time. We push each other in everything. If you push each other you are only going to get the best out of each other.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coaches-have-confidence-in-McLendon/bf7f3fa7-2b00-4974-af1c-53b19b5fce12

pancake
07-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Football, Basketball, and Track. His grades weren't very good in High School, but came in as a "walk on" to the Troy Trojans.

I was hoping one was for wrestling...

tony hipchest
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

My camp phenom through three padded practices is Steve McLendon. The guy is virtually unblockable right now.

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Hampton: "Everybody thinks McLendon is a small dude. He is a big, strong guy. He can be dominant."

MasterOfPuppets
08-01-2012, 11:36 AM
if mclendon really is hitting his stride it may be tough to find a roster spot for the 4th rd pick.....i doubt he'd make it to the practice squad.:noidea:

Bayz101
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Ta'amu is very talented, and he was at one point thought of as a second round pick. We we're lucky to get him, and traded up to make sure we got him. I think they have plans for him, for sure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
if mclendon really is hitting his stride it may be tough to find a roster spot for the 4th rd pick.....i doubt he'd make it to the practice squad.:noidea:

They will likely keep 7 d line. Keisel, Hood, Heyward, McLendon, Hampton, Ta'amu, (Woods maybe).

Bayz101
08-01-2012, 11:48 AM
They will likely keep 7 d line. Keisel, Hood, Heyward, McLendon, Hampton, Ta'amu, (Woods maybe).

I actually made a mistake. I think he was mostly projected to go in the third round, and he was regarded as one of the best NT's in the draft. I think he'll find a way to the roster this year.

Fire Arians
08-01-2012, 11:55 AM

taamu will be on the roster for sure. we need a backup NT, and casey is most likely going to start off the season on PUP

Steelersfan87
08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
As El-Gonzo Jackson said, McLendon's roster spot in no way impacts Ta'amu's, and, like last season, they are likely to carry 7 defensive linemen. McLendon and Ta'amu appear to be the 1-2 punch in the middle for the next decade or so...or at least that's the plan in August 2012.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I actually made a mistake. I think he was mostly projected to go in the third round, and he was regarded as one of the best NT's in the draft. I think he'll find a way to the roster this year.

I saw some projections after Ta'amu's junior year that he could be a 1st round prospect. I am thrilled that he lasted to us in the 4th. I thought he might be gone in the 2nd to a team that needed a NT this year.

Steelersfan87
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I think there's little doubt that the Steelers caught several breaks in the past draft relative to specific players that suited their needs. I'm not sure if Ta'amu will see a starting lineup any time soon, however, if Steve McLendon has anything to say about it.

Fire Arians
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
I think there's little doubt that the Steelers caught several breaks in the past draft relative to specific players that suited their needs. I'm not sure if Ta'amu will see a starting lineup any time soon, however, if Steve McLendon has anything to say about it.

mclendon is definitely more ready for prime time. ta'amu probably won't be a starter until 2 years from now.

pancake
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
mclendon is definitely more ready for prime time. ta'amu probably won't be a starter until 2 years from now.

I think Ta'amu will start in year 2.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM

If then - Ta'amu is not drawing rave reviews so far

This from Ed.B. of the P-G today

I have heard good things from McClendon. Do you think he can play Hamptonesque NT while we groom Ta'Amu?

Ed Bouchette: Don't assume Ta'amu is going to be the next Casey Hampton. They were disappointed in the shape he was in for a rookie

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117514-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-8612

Bayz101
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM

I have heard good things from McClendon. Do you think he can play Hamptonesque NT while we groom Ta'Amu?

Ed Bouchette: Don't assume Ta'amu is going to be the next Casey Hampton. They were disappointed in the shape he was in for a rookie

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117514-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-8612

Hopefully he gets back in shape. If I remember correctly, he's had weight issues in the past. I'm not really hoping he's the next "Casey Hampton" i'm just hoping he turns into a good player. I love McClendon, and if he keeps it up, I think it's his time to shine.

ricardisimo
08-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Isn't McClendon the one I read about earlier this year who's supposedly the strongest dude on the team, weightroom-wise?

MasterOfPuppets
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM

they draft a 350 lb-er and expect him to be in good shape ? i don't know if they do it or not , but right after the draft i'd hook draftee's up with a list of nutritionist and personal trainers thats on the company payroll ...:noidea:

Isn't McClendon the one I read about earlier this year who's supposedly the strongest dude on the team, weightroom-wise?
sure that wasn't ziggy ? :noidea:

Steelersfan87
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
That was the first I've heard mentioned of Ta'amu's conditioning during this offseason. As far as actual reports in camp, most of it has been positive on him. In one situation, Keisel was getting on him for not being aggressive enough, and the next play he blew up into the o-line. Hampton also said something about him biting "like a pup" or something like that. I would guess that he's probably not too far off from where the team would expect him to be right now.

Bayz101
08-06-2012, 05:33 PM
If Ta'Amu is unhealthy weight wise, Hampton needs to be rushed to the emergency room. :sofunny:

Grav
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM

By Jeff G.

http://cdn.lastangryfan.com/wp-content/uploads/thebeast-252x300.jpg?adb689

Rugby players are hulking men who are some of the toughest S.O.B.s on the planet because the game itself is a rough and tumble affair with players wearing not a stitch of protective clothing. Plus it has guys like Tendai “Beast” Mtawarira, a Zimbabwean-born rugby union player for the Sharks of the Super Rugby league playing in it, and as you’re about to see, Mtawarira lives up to his nickname with this amazing play he pulled off in a recent match against the Stormers.

On a kickoff, Beast shows off his powerful upper body strength by picking up teammate Anton Bresler and lifting him up and over his head so that Bresler can make the catch, then holds him so that his mate doesn’t end up falling right on top of his head, in what can only be described as a sort of clean-and-jerk using a grown man. It’s nothing short of impressive to see a 256-pound gent lifting his 247-pound teammate over his head before gently placing him back on the ground, where he’s immediately beset upon by players from the Stormers in the ensuing scrum.

Prepare to be amazed…

http://network.yardbarker.com/rugby/article_external/zimbabwean_rugby_player_named_beast_lives_up_to_hi s_nickname_with_this_incredible_feat_of_strength/10889663?linksrc=home_vv_head_10889663

He's actually South African. Plays for South Africa

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
That was the first I've heard mentioned of Ta'amu's conditioning during this offseason.

The fact he injured his foot after the vets hazed him into walking 2 miles to WalMart might have been a tip-off Ta'amu may not have spent the summer running steps to maintain weight

Bayz101
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
The fact he injured his foot after the vets hazed him into walking 2 miles to WalMart might have been a tip-off Ta'amu may not have spent the summer running steps to maintain weight

I don't care who you are that's funny. :sofunny:

MACH1
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
So what your saying is tweenkie runs don't count.

Steelersfan87
08-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Well, I've never walked 3 miles while being 350 pounds when I expected to only walk 1 mile, so I can't really say what to read into the fact that he injured his foot that way. The fact that Bouchette said that there is or was some issue to some degree, however, is notable.

tony hipchest
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
bouchette seems a little extra snide and cranky the past week. perhaps he just needs another week vacation (or he's already sick of camp and wants to get on to some real reporting).

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 08:02 AM
He just gets really cranky without his security blanket (sweater vest)

Come late October he should be in a better mood . . .

dave n'at
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Well, I've never walked 3 miles while being 350 pounds when I expected to only walk 1 mile, so I can't really say what to read into the fact that he injured his foot that way. The fact that Bouchette said that there is or was some issue to some degree, however, is notable.

350 lbs or not, if you're an athlete you shouldn't be injuring yourself WALKING 2 miles. That said, McClendon looked like an absolute MONSTER last night, can't wait to see what he can do in the regular season.

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 01:15 AM
On the Steelers: McLendon wraps big paws around job at nose tackle

August 18, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/230/216/mclendon_420.jpg

Steve McLendon earned the starting nose tackle job in Casey Hampton's absence, but could keep it even after Hampton was taken off the physically-unable-to-perform list Friday.

The Steelers first signed Steve McLendon after the 2009 draft as a rookie free agent. His big hands are famous, and he needed them or otherwise he could have gotten cramps from signing so many contracts with them.

Over the course of his three previous NFL seasons, McLendon was released five times. That breaks outside linebacker James Harrison's record, although McLendon neither was cut by the Baltimore Ravens nor forced to play in NFL Europe. To quote a former Steelers lineman from the '80s, he was cut so many times he needed stitches.

McLendon won't have to worry about that again any time soon. Today, he is the Steelers' starting nose tackle, and it would not be a stretch to suggest he could hold that job even when Casey Hampton is ready to play after the Steelers activated him Friday from the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list.

McLendon would appear to be out of place on a defensive line that includes three former first-round draft picks, but, like Harrison before him, the road has not been paved with gold. That began to change a season ago when he started one game and played in 14, and people began to notice that this undrafted nose tackle with big hands also could play big.

As the Steelers completed their final public practice Friday and prepare to leave Saint Vincent College for good Sunday morning, no one has had a better training camp than McLendon.

"He's powerful, he can move in there, he can pass rush -- and the nose tackle is usually not a pass-rusher, but he can [do that]," said center Maurkice Pouncey, who often goes head to head with him in practice. "He's been playing really good, and everybody's excited about it."

There was talk the Steelers might draft a nose tackle in the first round in April as Hampton's heir apparent, and, after they waited until the fourth round to take Alameda Ta'amu, he was labeled by many as the successor to the 12-year vet with the five Pro Bowls. McLendon likely is the reason they waited so long, and Ta'amu now looks more like Chris Hoke's heir apparent as the future backup.

"I was happy for him," McLendon said, explaining his reaction when the Steelers drafted Ta'amu.
"And we needed it. We need some depth. Let's face it, I can't be the only nose tackle playing; they didn't know how far along Casey was."

Hampton's ACL was torn in the playoff game in Denver. At the worst, the Steelers will be able to rotate him and McLendon at nose tackle to keep them fresh and line them up next to each other again in the middle of their goal-line defense.

"We are two different types of guys, though," McLendon noted. "You can't compare us."

Hampton is big and strong. He stands 6 feet 1 and is listed at 325 pounds, but he likely weighs 20 pounds more. McLendon is 6-4 and preposterously listed by the Steelers as weighing 280. He said he weighed that as a junior at Troy. He weighs 325 today.

He knows how far he has come and how he has gotten here, and thinks about it often.

"Every day, but that's what I came from. I overcame that and I'm sure I'll overcome other things."

His big chance came in '10, when he was released three times in the first two months before finally making the squad for good Devil's Night Oct. 30. He played in four games and had two tackles. He had his best game last season with five tackles in his only start at Arizona.

Linebacker Larry Foote loves what he sees in front of him.

"He's strong, he's athletic, he can push the pocket and he can go on the side of the pocket and get pressure," Foote said. "I think last year he really made his mark, the games he played showed the team he's going to be here for awhile."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-mclendon-wraps-big-paws-around-job-at-nose-tackle-649459/#ixzz23rrb3sBg

OX1947
08-18-2012, 01:54 AM
bouchette seems a little extra snide and cranky the past week. perhaps he just needs another week vacation (or he's already sick of camp and wants to get on to some real reporting).

I told you guys he is a douche. Him and that porn mustache of his.

wera176
08-18-2012, 08:28 AM
"Don't assume Ta'amu is going to be the next Casey Hampton. They were disappointed in the shape he was in for a rookie"

Actually, that sounds just like Hampton, he's been know to show up at camp not in the best shape... ;)

Steelersfan87
08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
A snippet from a Tribune article yesterday said that Ta'amu shed 9 pounds in camp after reporting at 348.

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 02:01 PM
"Don't assume Ta'amu is going to be the next Casey Hampton. They were disappointed in the shape he was in for a rookie"

Actually, that sounds just like Hampton, he's been know to show up at camp not in the best shape... ;)

no way, you lie...:chuckle:

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/340x.jpg

GoFor7
08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/340x.jpg

"SOMEONE STOP THAT TWINKIE!"

Steelers>NFL
08-18-2012, 09:21 PM
A snippet from a Tribune article yesterday said that Ta'amu shed 9 pounds in camp after reporting at 348.

That's it? Biggest Losers lose more than that on a weekly basis.:flap:

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Game Changer: Steve McLendon

September 6, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/249/275/steve-mclendon_420.jpg

Steelers nose tackle Steve McLendon sacks Eagles quarterback Michael Vick during a preseason game i Philadelphia last month.

• Pos: Nose tackle • Age: 26 • Season: 3rd

Steve McLendon is not a household name in Pittsburgh, even if he is bigger than some households at 6 feet, 4 inches and 325 pounds. He's still not as big -- figuratively nor precisely -- as Big Snack, Casey Hampton, who held down the job of playing nose tackle for the Steelers the past 11 seasons.

McLendon, though, likely will open the season as the team's starter and could well keep that job even when Hampton is deemed healthy enough from knee and elbow surgeries to play again. McLendon enters his third season with the Steelers, although he started only once in the previous two.

He went undrafted in 2009 after playing four seasons at Troy University in Alabama, formerly Troy State. He spent time on the Steelers practice squad that year, made the team in '10 and played more often in '11.

The Steelers drafted a nose tackle this year in the fourth round, Alameda Ta'amu, and many assumed he would be the heir apparent to Hampton. It looks more and more like the heir apparent is the heir now, McLendon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/game-changer-steve-mclendon-651982/#ixzz25kxee9J2