PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Keenan Lewis Predicts Pro Bowl for Himself

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Ed: Keenan Lewis Predicts Pro Bowl for Himself

THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good afternoon,

The Steelers ended their first week of spring practices today, their third straight day of the permitted 10 (not counting minicamp).

Ben Roethlisberger, who did not practice today, said the new offense is making “progress.’’

“We’re getting there. I figured three days in week one, we’ve made some progress.”

Coach Mike Tomlin told Roethlsiberger to take the day off so he stood behind the offense with a copy of the practice script and basically watched.

“Mental reps,’’ is what he called his day. He said it had nothing to do with his previous sore arm or ankle.

“It was nice having the script on me and seeing everything, and it gave me more time to talk to coach during [practice].”

He said he was “trying to look at everything and talk to players and try to get an understanding what eerybody’s doing on every play.”
---
What happens if rookie Mike Adams goes through training camp and cannot cut the mustard at left tackle?

Trai Essex? Jonathan Scott, who opened their last season, or Marcus Gilbert.

Gilbert was pegged to be the left tackle this season right up until the Steelers drafted Adams on the second round. Gilbert played left tackle at Florida his final year and both he and Tomlin have called it his more natural position.

“I’m naturally the left,’’ said Gilbert, who was put there in his rookie training camp.

“When they moved me over to the right tackle, it took me a week or two to get back in the groove. I got the hang of things. It’s all about preparation and repetition.”

---
Keenan Lewis either will regret the day he said this or live up to it, but today he predicted he would make the Pro Bowl this year, his fourth with the Steelers. Of course, first he’ll have to win the job at left cornerback that is open.

“Watch out,” Lewis said, “this is going to be a big year right here.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116487-ed-keenan-lewis-predicts-pro-bowl-for-himself

tanda10506
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Let's hope, bold prediction but who knows.

Fire Arians
05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
i hope he's right

Merchant
05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Highly doubt it. But I guess it doesn't hurt to have confidence.

PhantomJB93
05-25-2012, 01:07 AM
You have to get INTs to make the Pro Bowl nowadays. Unfortunately being a solid, shutdown cornerback doesn't count for anything anymore, you have to either already be a big name or show up on the fantasy stat sheet.

Good thing is, when you're relatively unknown as Lewis is, QBs will actually throw your way more and he'll have a chance to make those turnovers.

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Steelers cornerback Lewis sees chance

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, May 25, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=2BeBT 4CBThukwPxGmOlS4c$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtS73fq$hpbQDu KtGKSYuYrWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

You can count Keenan Lewis’ NFL starts on one finger.

And if not for the Steelers starting last year’s Sunday night game in Indianapolis with three defensive backs, he wouldn’t even have that on his resume.

But what Lewis lacks in experience, he makes up for with bravado.

Three days into organized team activities, Lewis isn’t talking about competing with second-year players Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for the left cornerback position. Keenan Lewis is talking Pro Bowl.

“Pro Bowl and help my team win the Super Bowl,” Lewis said after being asked what he expects from himself this year. “That’s where I am going. I am going to be there.”

No Steelers cornerback has made the Pro Bowl since Rod Woodson in 1997. Before that, you have to go back to 1982 when Mel Blount made the last of his five appearances. Woodson and Blount went on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Lewis has one career interception.

“I am expecting a whole lot out of Keenan Lewis,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “Around here, the expectations are sky high for him.”

The Steelers released Bryant McFadden during the offseason and weren’t interested in bringing back free agent William Gay. Instead, they were comfortable giving Lewis every opportunity of securing the starting job while having options behind him in Brown and Allen.

However, Lewis doesn’t plan to relinquish the starting job.

“I can’t let them take it,” Lewis said. “Like I told you, I am going to the Pro Bowl, so I have to be out there.”

Lewis, who is heading into his fourth year, signed a restricted free-agent tender in April that will pay him $1.26 million for the upcoming season. Lewis will be an unrestricted free agent next year, making this year even more important for him.

“This year is huge or me,” Lewis said. “I have a contract coming up and I have the opportunity to start. I am the starter, and I am taking it one day at a time trying to get better.”

Lewis was drafted in the fourth round out of Oregon State in 2009. After a rookie season in which he rarely saw the field, Lewis showed promise during training camp two years ago that earned him a preseason start in Denver. After getting called for two personal foul calls in the first half, Lewis was benched. He then entered coach Mike Tomlin’s doghouse after the game when Lewis broke a glass-encased sign heading to the locker room.

Lewis made the team but was inactive for four of the first five games and was relegated to 43 total defensive snaps the entire year. Last year, Lewis was a key ingredient in the Steelers’ top-ranked passing defense. Lewis played cornerback as Gay pushed over to nickel back during their sub-package defenses. Lewis played more than 400 snaps despite being credited with only one start.

“Last year helped out a lot, but I considered that more of a free-style kind of playing,” Lewis said. “We would usually just go man-to-man. Now, I am trying to see what the linebackers are going to be at so I can get some steals.”

Steals means interceptions, and that’s something the Steelers struggled with a year ago. They picked off only 11 passes (Green Bay led league with 31), with their cornerbacks contributing only five.

“I am out here working, but I am really trying to get my mind prepared,” Lewis said. “That’s why I am out here talking to guys like Troy (Polamalu) and Ryan (Clark). They are helping me out telling me where I need to be and how to get better.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1850621-85/lewis-steelers-cornerback-bowl-pro-keenan-free-starting-agent-opportunity

tony hipchest
05-25-2012, 02:56 AM
“Watch out,” Lewis said, “this is going to be a big year right here.”

tthe patriots have already posted this quote on their bulletin board.

Kingmagyar
05-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Sure fire Kiss of Death right there.

pete74
05-25-2012, 05:40 AM
i think he can be a really good CB like Taylor but i would bet a years salery against him making the Pro Bowl this year unless 29 other starting CB's pull out because of injuries.

as for his statement, i dont understand why its news. i would be disapointed in any player that didnt have high expectations for themselvs and there team. everyone should always thrive to be the best and the Pro Bowl is were the best go

steeltheone
05-25-2012, 06:33 AM
i think he can be a really good CB like Taylor but i would bet a years salery against him making the Pro Bowl this year unless 29 other starting CB's pull out because of injuries.

as for his statement, i dont understand why its news. i would be disapointed in any player that didnt have high expectations for themselvs and there team. everyone should always thrive to be the best and the Pro Bowl is were the best go

I agree...Glad the kid has confidence, although it does make the fall even harder if he fails.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
The day we drafted Lewis, I was high on him and expected him to start in 2-3 years. He's developed slower because he played almost exclusively man coverage in Oregon St, but I hope he can get the starting job and lock down one side of the field.

Pro bowl?? doubt it, but if he can start 16 games and get 4 picks I will be really impressed.

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Always aim for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

Lewis should predict starting job before Pro Bowl trip

by The Sports Jags
May 25, 2012

The Steelers wrapped up their first round of OTAs yesterday so now all of the yinzer curmudgeons that can’t stand football in May can go back to solely listening to the local media talk about how great the Buccos are doing.

All-in-all it seemed like a pretty solid first go around with the team. The running backs seemed pretty pumped to be more involved with the offense, Trai Essex could end up starting and Marcus Gilbert wants Mike Adams’ job too (left tackle is his dream job). None of that may be as monumental to you as the Bieber tour dates are to James Harrison but they’re still worth mentioning. But bigger than all that was Keenan Lewis predicting that he’s going to make the Pro Bowl this year.

Keenan. Nooo. You’ve got to love his confidence, but maybe he should be more worried about winning the starting job before he books the Kapua suite. It’s going to be really hard for Lewis to make the Pro Bowl if he doesn’t even win the starting job, which appears to be his to lose right now.

Lewis was taking first team reps this week but you have to think that Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown have just as good a shot to start if they come into this season the way they left last year. Right now, Allen looks like the nickel guy and Brown looks like he’ll be on special teams again but the team has only been together three days.

Considering that the last two starting corners the Steelers have had not named Ike Taylor have been William Gay and Bryant McFadden, you have to think Lewis should be able to hold his own just as well if not better than those two. Ike seems to have a lot of confidence in Keenan too, not to mention expectations. But if Keenan’s Nostradamus move does pan out, he’ll make the Pro Bowl even before Ike.

The last Steeler corner to go to Hawaii was Rod Woodson back in 1997. That’s some pretty heavy company to include your name with before you even win the starting gig, Kennan. Ike has been one of the better shutdown corners in the NFL over the last two or three years and he’s never been a Pro Bowler because he doesn’t pick balls off. There’s no chance the Lewis is making the Pro Bowl in his fourth year in the league and maybe his first year as a starter if he doesn’t create turnovers (he had 1 INT as the nickel back last year).

It wouldn’t even be a total shocker if Keenan stayed at the nickel position when this year opens either considering how well he played it last year. Allen and Brown both look ready to contend for the CB2 job and you know they’re going to make Lewis work for it, and according to out Madden 12 rankings, Brown has more potential than any of the Steelers corners not named Ike…just sayin’.

It’d be great to see the Steelers’ secondary play well enough again this year to finally send a corner back to the meaningless Pro Bowl but the first mistake Lewis makes on the field, the first thing on reporters’ minds is going to be his Pro Bowl premonition. Is that what he wants? The last time someone in the Steelers’ secondary made a bold prediction was Anthony Smith, and we all saw how well that worked out.

Maybe Smith’s big mouth just has us being cynical with DB’s predicting the future but we just would’ve prefered that Keenan predict he’s going to be a starter before he’s going to be an All Star…hope we’re wrong.

Original Story: http://thesportsjags.com/lewis-should...

casteeler
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Someone on this DB roster has to step up to take the vacant starter spot and it might as well be him, I just have my doubts because it seems to me all the times Gay was burned last year why wouldn't they allow Lewis to take the spot? Only time will tell