PDA

View Full Version : Rainey or Batch?

tanda10506
05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Who do you think will have a better season and why?

Kingmagyar
05-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Rainey.

By far this guy can fly. Get him the ball in space and he will excel. Big plays seem to follow this guy around His ability to move to WR from the backfield pre-snap also is a great weapon to confuse a defense. Very good returner and special teams player as well.

Batch has his work cut out but has very good hands to catch balls and is more a traditional RB then Rainey as far as in between the tackles. They really could be vying for two different positions.

Maybe it's Dwyer or Batch?

pete74
05-25-2012, 04:23 AM
no way Dwyer. his gut is bigger then this head and i cant see him making the team

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 04:30 AM
no way Dwyer. his gut is bigger then this head and i cant see him making the team

I would normally agree with this, but all I have to judge him on is a 70 yard touchdown scamper. I'll just hush up until we hear about his camp progress.

pete74
05-25-2012, 04:44 AM
i saw a pic of him at camp before he took off the final day for his brothers graduation and he didnt look like a football player to me. it looked like a huge beer belly in my mind

pete74
05-25-2012, 04:47 AM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hold_off_judging_jonathan_dwyer_until_he_arrives_a t_training_camp/10865765

Galax Steeler
05-25-2012, 04:48 AM
It would be hard to say which one will be better. Neither has made the transition in the nfl. I know that Batch has had some camp experience but that is still not enough to tell. I will take the wait and see approach.

tanda10506
05-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Wow Dwyer did gain a lot of weight just since January. I wouldn't be surprised of he is gone, we have 6 RB's and MM if we want to pick him back up, we won't keep thag many RB's and Dwyer sticks out like a sore thumb now since he has "weight issues".

steeltheone
05-25-2012, 05:31 AM
It would be hard to say which one will be better. Neither has made the transition in the nfl. I know that Batch has had some camp experience but that is still not enough to tell. I will take the wait and see approach.

Exactly...Neither might be the answer...We hope they both shine! Im afraid Batch is injury prone.

Dwyer is your everyday average NFL backup or less

Steel Boss
05-25-2012, 07:52 AM
How can we judge Batch when we've never even seen him play a down. Meanwhile, all Dwyer has done when given a chance is look good. I'm not going to judge him based on one blurry picture.

It will be interesting to see how the RB situation plays out though. Obviously there isn't enough room for all of them.

ebsteelers
05-25-2012, 10:19 AM
i thought dwyer was losing weight

cbrunn
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Dwyer is the best pure runner on the team ... every time he gets in the game he excels ... no way Dwyer gets cut ...

Cause his stomach is big?? .... so not like he's going to get the ball 25+ times a game ...I'll take a guy that every time gets in an actual game looks real good ... then a camp body last year who made a block on Harrison and got all the fans infatuated

but Rainey get's the spot over Batch because he can be used as the slot receiver too and return man ...Imagin Wallace , Brown, Sanders, Rainey , all on the field at one time in the 4 WR set ... that's some speed for you

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Umm...Brainey!

Fire Arians
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
both of em make the team. i don't think rainey can be a true 3rd down back unless he puts on some weight and becomes a better blocker. batch is more suited to that role, and i like the guy's work ethic. i expect both to be solid contributors, batch as a 3rd down back, and rainey for about 5-10 snaps a game

pete74
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Dwyer is the best pure runner on the team ... every time he gets in the game he excels ... no way Dwyer gets cut ...

Cause his stomach is big?? .... so not like he's going to get the ball 25+ times a game ...I'll take a guy that every time gets in an actual game looks real good ... then a camp body last year who made a block on Harrison and got all the fans infatuated

but Rainey get's the spot over Batch because he can be used as the slot receiver too and return man ...Imagin Wallace , Brown, Sanders, Rainey , all on the field at one time in the 4 WR set ... that's some speed for you

Dwyer is the best pure rusher on the team? are you serious? he probably wont be in the NFL in 2 years. do you really think he is a better pure rusher then mendenhall?

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 02:40 PM
both of em make the team.

I agree, especially since Rainey can also play WR. reports out of OTAs are that both looked really good...

TheVet
05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
The truth is that none of these guys has shown enough for any of us to be excited - not yet. Yes, Batch threw a nice block in practice before his injury, and Dwyer did run through a big hole one time before heading to the off-season buffet circuit. And Clay had a nice TD. Rainey looks like he'll be fun to watch. Of course, none of these guys have matched Redman - he's been a head-turner from his first practices.

I'm gonna enjoy watching the competition; it will be fun to see who steps it up. But Redman is the man right now, and this is his season to show it.

cbrunn
05-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Dwyer is the best pure rusher on the team? are you serious? he probably wont be in the NFL in 2 years. do you really think he is a better pure rusher then mendenhall?

besides mendenhall ...he don't count he's injured ... i mean out of redman, clay. batch, rainey, and dwyer ... dwyer is the best runner out of them

Bayz101
05-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Rainey reminds me of Dante Hall, he'll likely be a special teams player. Batch can contribute at the RB.

Goldsteel86
05-26-2012, 06:37 AM
It is too early to tell, however if you look at Haley and his past offensive schemes I would say that Rainey is favored. Now do I believe that Batch can bring alot to this offense, Batch has soft hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield, but I truly believe Rainey will be a difference maker in this offense as well as on Special Teams. Who knows we may all be shocked if they both aren't lights out this season.

Kingmagyar
05-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Will Rainey survive the backs on backers drill?

Bayz101
05-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Will Rainey survive the backs on backers drill?

Good question. He's definitely not a bruiser, but he can run like the wind blow's.

Hawaii 5-0
06-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Role of hybrid is pivotal to Steelers’ offense

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, June 1, 2012

Baron Batch or Chris Rainey could fill a vital role for Todd Haley’s offense

Baron Batch 24 5-10 210 Texas Tech 2nd year

Chris Rainey 24 5-8 178 Florida Rookie

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=74tXX ETaRSp09yMleq$TPs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsC8ZgAKIn18Yu 07Vagv_qbWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Only a fraction of Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system has been installed through the first two weeks of organized team activities.

Even so, one critical concept has become quite clear — a player who can line up as a running back, motion out of the backfield and set up at the slot receiver position is going to be extremely valuable.

Enter Baron Batch and Chris Rainey.

Despite not having one NFL snap between them, Haley has a pair of prototypical hybrids with Rainey (5-foot-8, 178) and Batch (5-10, 210) who can fill that important role in his offense.

“It might be third down, it might be by package, you might see him as a receiver or as a running back, but you’ll see him do a little bit of everything,” Haley said after drafting Rainey.

The same can be said about Batch, who tore his ACL after turning some heads during the first week of training camp last year. He missed his entire rookie season.

“There is a lot of stuff to get the backs in space (with this offense),” Batch said.

The hybrid role sounds like a typical run-of-the-mill third-down back, but it’s really much more complex.

Haley is looking to create favorable matchups with a versatile guy who can outrun linebackers and safeties from multiple spots on the field, and he could get that with Rainey or Batch.

Rainey started 13 games at running back and six at slot receiver during his time at Florida, and Batch was versatile while at Texas Tech, making them good fits Haley’s hybrid role.

“I have no clue yet what my role will be,” Rainey said. “I don’t care what it is, but I love running back. I am ready whatever they want me to do. I have mad confidence in myself. I got a lot of talent and God-given gifts.”

Haley used that role the past two years in Kansas City with Dexter McCluster. After toying around with McCluster as strictly a slot receiver, Haley settled on a role in the backfield for McCluster where he could run or catch it equally effective.

Haley said after a preseason game last year against Baltimore when McCluster gained 71 total yards on seven touches (six of which came on first down) that “this guy clearly in space is a hazard to the defense.”

McCluster had 516 rushing and 318 receiving yards on 160 touches last year from the hybrid role.

Batch welcomes the challenge of the position if presented to him.

“Roles are something that we really don’t talk about,” Batch said. “I have always been that type of player that I am willing to do a lot of things. Being a competitor, I don’t like to put myself in a certain box of what I can do. I like to be well-rounded, and if I am asked to do something, I know that I can do it effectively.”

Batch isn’t 100 percent yet since ACL surgery in August. He’s been wearing a blue practice jersey indicating that he’s still not ready for rough play, but he is sure he will be ready for training camp where he is prepared to battle Rainey for what could not only be a significant role with the offense but a roster spot as well.

“I always say this, if you are not willing to compete, you shouldn’t be in the NFL,” Batch said. “I am a competitor, and I love to compete. I am a competitor in everything I do whether it is ping pong or bowling. I want to be the best at it, and because of that, I think of wherever they put me I can compete and do well.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1893570-85/batch-role-rainey-haley-running-mccluster-hybrid-offense-receiver-chris

Steelersfan87
06-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Really interesting article. I wonder if there's room for both on the 53 man roster when it comes down to it. And if there is, how much use will both get? It might be a situation like Brown and Sanders their rookie year, fighting for a helmet each week.

Steeldude
06-01-2012, 02:27 AM
It depends on the Steelers' injury issues after pre-season. Will they keep 4 or 5 RBs?

VaDave
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I'd like to say both make the squad, and maybe one inactive at a time. Hopefully, with better blocking, as well as a more balance attack on either side of the field, these two kids should do very well. We are still going to need a pile driver hammer type tailback, but the most of the time, in our base O, look for a lot of Rainey and Batch for about 14 touches a game combined.

cbrunn
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I think they both will make the team ... Rainey will make the team as a return man/running back/ slot receiver

Batch will make the team as a 3rd down back...he can block and catch great out of the backfield ...

Imagine Ben in the shotgun ... split to both of his sides are Rainey and Batch ... along with Wallace, Brown, Sanders wide with Heath at TE .... who do you focus on??

VaDave
06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Next weeks opponent. This game is over.......

austinfrench76
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
How about Rainey and Batch, goodbye Dwer? That's just my opinion.

Fire Arians
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
rainey could be the next 'slash' if he can also play qb in trick plays lol

people also are talking about batch being the 3rd down running back (myself included), but who knows? The guy isn't small (210 lbs), and he's big enough to be a feature back. I think he will compete with redman for the starting position. a little camp competition is healthy for both.

TheVet
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
rainey could be the next 'slash' if he can also play qb in trick plays lol

people also are talking about batch being the 3rd down running back (myself included), but who knows? The guy isn't small (210 lbs), and he's big enough to be a feature back. I think he will compete with redman for the starting position. a little camp competition is healthy for both.
Dude, did I ever mention how much I love your screen name?

Like you, I have high hopes for Rainey, and I'm looking forward to seeing all our young backs in the preseason. Gonna be exciting.

tanda10506
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I didn't realize Batch was that big. 210lbs is heavier then I thought and he's pretty stocky. How fast is he?

tony hipchest
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Imagine Ben in the shotgun ... split to both of his sides are Rainey and Batch ... along with Wallace, Brown, Sanders wide with Heath at TE .... who do you focus on??

well the refs would probably focus on only 4 linemen on the field and throw a flag. :noidea:

thats the problem with too many weapons out of the backfield or constantly using a full back. you HAVE to take an elite 3rd wr or a valuable commodity like heath miller out of the game.

heath makes WAY too much money to be taken out on a regular basis.

Fire Arians
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I didn't realize Batch was that big. 210lbs is heavier then I thought and he's pretty stocky. How fast is he?

4.45-4.5, he's got good speed. his first 10 yards were clocked at 1.5 which is really good acceleration.

he's not chris johnson, but he's got enough speed to outrun the 2nd level

MasterOfPuppets
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
well the refs would probably focus on only 4 linemen on the field and throw a flag. :noidea:

:sofunny:...way to do the math mr buzzkill....:toofunny:

Hawaii 5-0
06-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Running back Baron Batch, 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers potential break-out performer

Submitted by Syndicated sources on June 9, 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers have finished their OTA sessions and fans are starting to prepare for the excitement of training camp and the regular season. With that excitement comes questions about some of the more interesting players in camp and what type of role (or if they will have one) they will have moving forward. One such player is running back Baron Batch, who the Steelers drafted in the seventh round (232 overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. Last season, he was the buzz of training camp and looked like a serious candidate to unseat Mewelde Moore as the third down back until going down with a torn ACL on August 11 and finishing the 2011 campaign on injured reserve.

During these OTA sessions, Batch was able to get back into action on the field even though he still has some soreness from his ACL injury, an improvement over the first rookie mini-camp where he was still not ready for action. As the Steelers move toward training camp, he will face tough competition from rookie fifth round selection Chris Rainey for the third down back role.

However, Batch should not be pigeon holed into that specialty position. Although he does come from a spread attack at Texas Tech, he is a bigger back than many may think (5-10, 210 pounds) with a solid 4.55 40-yard dash. At Tech, while he was known as a solid receiver, he also finished his career eighth all-time with 2,501 yards rushing.

One reason that Batch could be an intriguing back up to projected starter Isaac Redman is the match-up problems he could create in the base offense and in specialty situations. Not to mention, the Steelers could look at Batch and Rainey in the same backfield on passing downs, something that could create a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators, as both backs can carry the load or catch the ball out of the slot.

Batch is also a renaissance man of sorts, focusing on many philanthropic and artistic mediums as he develops, something that has seemed to interest some of the fan base and make him a fan favorite. When talking about Batch, many fans hope that he hits his stride in training camp and picks up where he left off. If he does, he will add another dynamic, but inexperienced playmaker to the backfield.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/running_back_baron_batch_2012_pittsburgh_steelers_ potential_break_out_performer/10975973

steelerchad
06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hold_off_judging_jonathan_dwyer_until_he_arrives_a t_training_camp/10865765

Well. The bus had quite the spare tire as well, but he could scamper or run you over when needed.

FrancoLambert
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
So many good issues to deal with....Rainey or Batch, a healthy Sanders, Brown's growth, using Heath more, speedy weapons everywher you look, rebuilt O-line, new OC, Issac as lead RB. Man, this training camp is going to be something else.

Hawaii 5-0
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
early news tidbit from the first day of mini-camp:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Baron Batch's blue don't-touch-me No. 20 jersey has been removed from action.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib%20OR%20from:MarkKaboly_Trib%2 0OR%20from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Tri b+OR+from%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_T rib

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Promising RB Baron Batch looking to bounce back

UPDATED JUN 13, 2012

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Baron Batch was having one of those camps. The kind where unheralded rookies turn skepticism into belief.

In the span of 10 days last summer, the former Texas Tech running back evolved from little-known seventh-round pick into ''that guy.''

Then again, take on arguably the baddest guy in football - and hold your own - as Batch did during one memorable collision with linebacker James Harrison early in training camp and perceptions are bound to change.

One bad step silenced the buzz. Batch knew something was wrong the second his left knee buckled while making a cut during practice. The MRI revealed a torn ACL, ending his rookie season before it even began.

Leaning back at his locker following practice this week, the 24-year-old ran his fingers over the two-inch scar on his knee then glanced down at the even longer one on his surgically repaired ankle and just kind of smiled when asked if he ever considered doing something else with his life.

''I love to be able to overcome things,'' Batch said. ''The ankle when I was in college. The knee. It's cool to be able to get through stuff like that and just keep going.''

Even if he's not certain about the destination. Batch is part of a crowded running back picture that includes injured starter Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman and fifth-round draft pick Chris Rainey, who in some ways is a slightly smaller, slightly faster version of Batch.

He tries not to think about the numbers game and how the next four months will play out. At the moment, he's simply thankful for the opportunity to play again.

''Obviously the guys we have on the roster are the guys we have on the roster,'' he said. ''I feel like I've just got to go in and earn a spot and prove my worth.''

Batch was well on his way at the time of his injury. He wasted little time turning heads, going helmet-to-helmet with Harrison during a ''back on backers'' pass protection drill. The goal is for the running back to keep a blitzing linebacker from reaching the quarterback. The 5-foot-10, 210-pound Batch did more than that, lowering his head and smashing into the perennial All-Pro. The sound reverberated across the practice field. Even better, Harrison didn't get to the quarterback.

The play earned an excited whoop from coach Mike Tomlin, though Batch afterward dismissed it as just one play.

Maybe, but it's the kind of play that can fuel a comeback.

Following a sometimes grueling rehab, Batch is hoping to pick up where he left off last summer. He took another step in the process this week when running backs coach Kirby Wilson let Batch practice without the blue jersey he wore during organized training activities, the one that says basically ''keep off.''

''It's been a process,'' Batch said. ''It still is a process. I've had my ups and downs but it's nice to be back on the field.''

And in a way, Batch returns with an even better opportunity to make the team. Former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is gone, replaced by former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley, who is a bit more user-friendly with his running backs in the passing game.

The Chiefs had a running back finish with at least 40 receptions in each of Haley's two-plus seasons at the helm. At Arizona - where he served as offensive coordinator in 2007-08 - the Cardinals had at least one running back top 30 receptions each season.

A positive development for Batch, who caught 143 passes in the Red Raiders' trigger-happy offense.

''I'm the type of player I think if you ask me to do anything, I can do it regardless of whether it's catching a pass, picking up a blitz or running the ball outside or between the tackles,'' he said. ''At Texas Tech, I caught a lot of balls and that's definitely something I'm comfortable doing.''

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/promising_rb_baron_batch_looking_to_bounce_back/11003915

LVSteelersfan
06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
We are going to run the 5 RBs in the backfield at once ploy. Two go out wide, one plays the TE position and the other two do the pony backfield we never saw with Airhead that I kept lobbying for. Yeah, that's the ticket I tell ya. Who needs WRs when you have all that talent in the RB stable?

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Chris Rainey Considered A ‘Special’ Player By Special Teams Coach Al Everest

Thursday, June 14th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

So much has been made about what Chris Rainey, the Pittsburgh Steelers fifth round draft pick, can add on offense in his rookie season. It is not hard to see new offensive coordinator Todd Haley using him much like he used Dexter McCluster in Kansas City.

Rainey can be used as a pass catching running back out of the backfield and split out as wide receiver should the need arise. His name has been mentioned several times over the last four weeks as a player that has stood out in practices, mostly because of his speed.

One thing that has not been given a lot of attention since the Florida product was drafted back in April, is what Rainey brings to the table on special teams. During his career at Florida Rainey blocked six punts, a school and conference record. He also amassed 235 yards on 26 punt returns, two of which went for touchdowns, and another 454 yards on 18 kickoff returns.

On the Thursday edition of Steelers Live at 4, Bob Labriola talked to special teams coach Al Everest and asked him about the six punt blocks by Rainey, and how he managed to pull them off. "First of all he is extremely quick. I mean he is a very competitive kid," said Everest. "He's got great acceleration. Its important to him. He's already excited about it." Without being asked, Everest continued on with his plans for Rainey. "We're talking about it and we're going to look at him on defensive field goal. We're going to look at him in punt situations as a returner and some block situations as well to try to utilize what he does best, and he is good at it."

Everest went on to say that it will be even tougher for teams to scheme against Rainey on punt blocks if he has another player like Rainey also excel in that area. "If you got two of them, and I think we do if Curtis Brown comes along or Marquis Maze," said Everest. Some of these guys that give us a couple, its hard for them to figure out what your trying to do with two guys, but we'll scheme with one." Everest meant in his remarks that he has no hesitations in just scheming with Rainey alone should another player not surface with the same capabilities.

While Emmanuel Sanders looks likely to open up as the Steelers kick and punt returner when the team reports for training camp in Latrobe, his spot is not written in stone. Sanders admitted as much in a recent interview on 93.7 The Fan. It is unknown right now where Rainey ranks in the pecking order as far as return duties go, but it certainly sounds like he will be on the punt return team regardless.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/chris-rainey-considered-a-special-player-by-special-teams-coach-al-everest/

bornaSteelersfan
06-15-2012, 04:51 AM
If Batch is healthy, look for him to get the most action on offense in the first half of the season. Once the new offense really starts clicking and everyone knows the positions and blocking schemes, look for Rainey to get more action. I just can't see Tomlin and Haley letting Rainey get hit by a 250lb linebacker because the blockers don't yet know where to be. I also think they will want to hold out on this weapon until later in the season when the games become more important (possibly the playoffs). Rainey will get plenty of chances on special teams.

Rick5895
06-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Hopefully we will see Batch in the RB rotation with Redman, assuming he's healthy, and Rainey on special teams. Interesting article today on Rainey where he says he will do whatever he needs to on special teams to "deserve" to play on the O. With that type of attitude I would expect good things from Rainey

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Rainey, Spence: Steelers Wildcards?

Posted by Steelblitz
June 24, 2012

The Steelers drafted Chris Rainey and Sean Spence in the 2012 NFL Draft. Rainey, an explosive offensive threat, and Spence, an instinctual inside linebacker, both are poised to help the team as rookies.

Spence will likely be used on special teams and in coverage packages on defense. The Steelers inside linebackers struggled to cover quick backs and tight ends in 2011. This is likely one of the reasons James Farrior was cut this offseason.

Spence was a standout at Miami and is known for his coverage ability and instincts. His speed and coverage skills will make him a secret-weapon of types for the defense. He can be used to cover backs and tight ends. Spence won’t be a full time player in 2012, but he will play an important role.

Rainey, on the other hand, was a returner, receiver and running back at Florida. Rumors have been circulating since he was drafted that he could be the Steelers version of Dexter McCluster. Todd Haley coached McCluster while with the Kansas City Chiefs. He used McCluster as a receiver, scat back, and he was also a returner for the team.

Rainey has his eyes set on the returner job labeling special teams as his number one priority. He will also have a shot at helping on offense as a back and receiver as a rookie.

Rainey and Spence will be rookies in 2012, but they could play very important roles. The Steelers want Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders to focus on receiver rather than returning kicks and the defense needs help against the leagues new-breed of tight ends.

Whether they see many plays, or just a few, Rainey and Spence have a shot at being the Steelers wild-cards on Offense and Defense in 2012.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/steelers_training_camp_stars_to_be/11084171

Hawaii 5-0
06-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Competition: RB Baron Batch vs. RB Chris Rainey

by Neal Coolong on Jun 28, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4497532/GYI0060122519.jpg

Admittedly, the running backs are in for a "one vs. all" battle, and breaking them out individually is a bit convenient. But given the similar skill sets of both RB Baron Batch and RB Chris Rainey, it's hard not to compare the two.

That's a good thing for each of them.

With starter Isaac Redman clearly established as the starter while RB Rashard Mendenhall rehabs a torn ACL suffered in January, the depth of the Steelers' backfield will be challenged. Neither Batch nor Rainey can boast the same all-around skill set as Mendenhall, but they have excellent speed, good hands and both have as good a chance as any to make this roster.

Rainey could have an advantage going into camp due to his kick return ability - something he did at a high level while at the University of Florida. What the 2012 5th round pick lacks in size he makes up with his speed, but more specifically, he's a decisive player - his cut-backs on kick-offs show purpose and a willingness to take a hit if it means a chance to get outside and get fast.

Batch, a training camp phenom a year ago before an ACL tear of his own derailed the season, has drawn praise already from offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Batch may be behind Rainey in terms of speed, but he's a little bit bigger and has already shown Steelers coach Mike Tomlin he's a willing football player.

Considering Haley had a running back catch at least 40 passes in each of the two and a half seasons in Kansas City, where he was the head coach, it stands to reason having more than one back who can leverage speed with hands to become a multi-purpose weapon.

It's fully possible both of these players make the team in 2012, but if it came down to the two of them, the question would be answered based on what Rainey shows in the return game.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/28/3122885/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-competition-baron-batch-chris-rainey-todd-haley

MrAustin412
06-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Like Baron Batch as far as blocking, catching passes out of the backfield.

But LOVE what Rainey has to offer.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/06/edited-kris-qc-pittsburgh-steelers_29.html

Check this out!:tt04: