PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert excited about potential move to left

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Gilbert excited about potential move to left

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, May 25, 2012

The Steelers’ plan is to have rookie second-round pick Mike Adams take over the left tackle spot when he arrives for minicamp in three weeks.

Although Marcus Gilbert has been told he’s staying at right tackle, the second-year lineman isn’t ruling out a move to his natural position of left tackle.

“I am not counting it out 100 percent that they aren’t going to move me over to left,” Gilbert said. “That’s my dream, my passion.”

Gilbert was told during the offseason that he was going to make the switch from right tackle to left. That changed when the Steelers took Adams in the second round of April’s draft.

“Coach told me to spend the majority of the offseason working on the left side,” Gilbert said. “I was kind of bummed about (moving back to right tackle). I can’t control what the coaches have in mind. They have a plan.”

Gilbert isn’t against the possibility of starting two rookies on the line — Adams and first-round pick David DeCastro.

“If they are two of the five best available, why not put them in?” Gilbert said. “I think these guys are going to do a heck of a job for us. I am anxious for them to get in.”

• Free agent tackle Max Starks had a follow-up visit Monday with Dr. James Bradley on his surgically repaired knee. Starks rehabbed at the Steelers’ facility during workouts before heading back to Arizona last night.

• The Steelers will hold three practices next week, scheduled for Tuesday through Thursday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1856702-85/gilbert-tackle-steelers-keisel-practice-adams-offseason-roethlisberger-round-james

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I wasnt all that thrilled about the slection of Gilbert, but after seeing him in the preseason last year I was impressed by his movement skills and thought he definately could hold down the LT position in the future.

I really have no problem either way it works out. If Adams shows he can start at LT this year, then great. If not, I am confident in Gilbert having a year of NFL experience and being the LT. I've bitched about the state of the O line for almost 7 years because no decent talent was drafted as successors..........but I think we are great now!!

Steelersfan87
05-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot
@EdBouchette reported via his chat today that his sources told him that Marcus Gilbert worked at left tackle today. #steelers

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot
@EdBouchette reported via his chat today that his sources told him that Marcus Gilbert worked at left tackle today. #steelers

maybe the coaches had seen about as much as they could take from Trai Essux and Jonathan Rollerskates Scott...:help:

FrancoLambert
05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Go with youth, at least there is an upside attached to it.
I can live with the growing pains of Gilbert and Adams because it will help us in the long run.
I can't live with Scott doing his impersonation of a human turnstile again.
To me Foster's a reliable backup, not a starter.

ETL
05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
So basically Gilbert is saying "I want more money." Because to me whether u play LT or RT, you will help the team just as much but he thinks he will get more money if he is the LT and that make him "excited".

I think he should be just happy that he's starting.

Mark my words, as soon as he can hit free agency, Gilbert will pull a Leon Searcy on us.

Steelersfan87
05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I can't tell if you're serious.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
So basically Gilbert is saying "I want more money." Because to me whether u play LT or RT, you will help the team just as much but he thinks he will get more money if he is the LT and that make him "excited".

Mark my words, as soon as he can hit free agency, Gilbert will pull a Leon Searcy on us.

Could be, but didn't he play LT in college ball?

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Could be, but didn't he play LT in college ball?

at Florida he played RT in order to protect Tim Tebow's blind side and once Tebow graduated Gilbert played LT in order to protect the new right-handed QBs blind side.

Fire Arians
05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
I can't live with Scott doing his impersonation of a human turnstile again.

or getting pushed all the way back into ben every other play (how he got his nickname rollerskates lol)

Fire Arians
05-30-2012, 02:10 PM

he wants to prove he's the best player for the most important position on the line, protecting the franchise qb's backside. i don't see what's so bad about a little competition in training camp. I want the best blocker on that line playing LT, even if it means adams has to ride the bench in favor of gilbert

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
WEDNESDAY, 30 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Marcus Gilbert practiced at left tackle yesterday. What should we read into that?

Probably nothing other than he needs to practice at left tackle, just in case. There is no guarantee that Mike Adams will come in here and master that position, and if he doesn't, the options are Trai Essex, Jonathan Scott or . . . Max Starks.

The last time I talked to Kevin Colbert for any length I asked him about Starks and he would not rule out re-signing him. He said they would wait until June or so to see how his recovery from ACL surgery has gone.

Friday is June 1. Starks was in the trainer's room at the Steelers facility the other day. As practice ended and as we leave the field, we walk down a hallway that leads us past the trainers' room on the left and the locker room on the right. The trainers' room has glass walls and while it's inappropriate for someone in the media to stop and stare in there, it's hard not to notice some things especially when they are as big as Max Starks standing in the middle of the room.

Before I even noticed Starks, coach Mike Tomlin playfully hollered out to me to notice that he was in the trainers' room and I might want to write about it. What it told me is it wasn't anything worth writing about, which I knew because Starks was hurt playing for the Steelers and even though he is an unrestricted free agent, he remains under their supervision in his rehab from his injury.

But Colbert's statement to me, the fact Starks played so well last season to save them at left tackle should add up to a possibility that he will return if everything post-op looks good.

In the meantime, though, the Steelers have to take a look at Gilbert on the left side once in a while, just in case.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116552-ed-kordell-stewart-returns-to-steelers

Hawaii 5-0
06-01-2012, 12:26 AM
THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2012

by Dale Lolley

Week 2 of OTAs news and notes

Not a whole lot happening at OTAs this week.

I guess the biggest news was that Marcus Gilbert got some time at left tackle this week with rookie Mike Adams still unable to attend because of the class schedule at Ohio State.

Though the Steelers would prefer to keep Gilbert at RT, it's not a bad thing for him to get some work on the other side - even in shorts. As we have seen the past couple of years, what the planned line is and what it turns out to be a few weeks into a season, are often two different things.

Besides, as I've previously said, it's not the Steelers' way to simply hand a rookie a starting job.

So with Gilbert, Trai Essex and Jonathan Scott working at LT, there are still some bodies to climb over there.

I know, I know, you all hate Essex and Scott. But it says here that if push came to shove and Adams can't beat those guys out - which is always a possibility - the Steelers want to cover their bases.

Plus, there's still the possibility of bringing Max Starks back again. Starks, by the way, has been seen at the Steelers practice facility.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/