PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 LB's on NFL Network

tanda10506
05-25-2012, 04:41 AM
So I was watching NFL network and they were doing a bit where they came up with the top 5 NFL LB's. The list and their explanations went like this:

1- Patrick Willis- no explanation, just a great LB
2- T. Suggs- last years best pass rusher according to Derrick Brooks
3- DeMarcus Ware- no explanation given
4- London Fletcher- "he keeps getting better with age"
5- Lance Briggs- no explanation given

Really....there isn't a Steeler LB in the top 5?

P. Willis might be #1, no big argument there. Suggs is good, I am not going to be a homer and say he is not, but the #2 LB in the NFL...no way. He's not even the best LB in the division, for that matter he's not even the best OLB in the division. It's arguable that he's not even the best LB on his team. No big fuss with Ware, he probably is top 5. London Fletcher does not belong on this list, if he is getting better with age that's great for him but he doesn't have enough years left to improve to the point where he is as good as Harrison or Woodley. The argument could be made for Briggs but if the list were being re-made he would be bumped down off the list since Harrion would be at #2 or #3.

After that followed a segment called "Panic in Pittsburgh" where they played up everything Ben has said and showed a highlight reel of basically all the bad offensive plays we ever had. Haters:chuckle: To their credit the commentators were pretty respectful and confident in our team. Unfortunately the age of the defense was brought up again even though we were #1 last year and have got younger since then.

finesward
05-25-2012, 07:25 AM
With the injury bug hitting deebo for most of last year its understandable him being left off. Healthy he is a force....being the homer I am he's number one on my list.

Harrison
Willis
Suggs
Ware
Briggs

Millers the sh!t
05-25-2012, 11:38 AM
This list is based on what, career performances or last years performance?

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
I swore I saw some of these guy's on back of a milk carton a couple years ago :hunch:

TRH
05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
i don't know how you leave Harrison off that list...

As for the "panic in Pittsburgh" thing...thats just comical. Its so ridiculous its laughable. There is no "panic" in or around Pittsburgh. Period. If anything, there's a renewed confidence.
Bens comments mean absolutely nothing...they're nothing out of the ordinary for anyone. I don't know that i've ever seen before, reporters take someone's simple words and twist them, super over-analyze them, study them, then make them into something they are not.
You might expect that from out-of-towners, but when your local writers are doing it to stir up s***, it leaves you embarrassed that this is what you have for local writers.

BTW.....when i seen the "top 5 linebacker" post, i already knew that none of our guys would be on it before i even clicked on it. Its almost as if the NFL network gets some sick satisfaction when they don't compliment us.

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
That's okay. I like it when no one takes us seriously. That's when come from under the radar.

Fire Arians
05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
suggs has to thank jonathan scott for padding his stats

Bayz101
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
suggs has to thank jonathan scott for padding his stats

Suggs only shows up for Steelers games, just like Gatorade.

teegre
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Ask Colt McCoy who he fears most...

I know that Harrison had an off year (due to his broken face), but when he played, he avergaed a sack a game (right)?

In an homage to Andy Samberg as Nicholas Cage:
"How is Harrison now on this list!?!"

MasterOfPuppets
05-25-2012, 05:36 PM
i hate when they lump ILBers' and OLBer's (especially 3-4 OLBers ) together when they make these lists. they are 2 totally different positions with different roles.

NoFieldFive
05-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Suggs did get defensive player of the year so probably hard to keep him off the list.

tanda10506
05-26-2012, 12:31 AM
i hate when they lump ILBers' and OLBer's (especially 3-4 OLBers ) together when they make these lists. they are 2 totally different positions with different roles.

Yeah it's pretty stupid, their jobs are totally different.

Suggs did get defensive player of the year so probably hard to keep him off the list.

I don't know how, maybe his numbers were better then he appeared, but when I was watching their games cheering for the opposing team, Suggs wasn't a difference maker. Except week 1 vs us. Again, he is pretty damn good but he's not top 5.

NoFieldFive
05-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Suggs 2011 - 14 sacks, 2 ints, 7 forced fumbles

of course one of his picks was on the bubble screen, which everyone knew was coming

lloydwoodson
05-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Suggs is either feast or famine, boom or bust, all or nothing... go look at his stats. He had 3 3-sack games and 8 games without a sack.. In 3 games he had 9 sacks and 6 FF and in 13 games he had 5 sacks and 1 FF. Jared Allen only had 3 games where he did not record a sack and finished with 22 sacks and 4 FF. Allen got robbed of the DPOY. Look at the consistency. Also Jason Pierre Paul got more tackles as a LE than Suggs got as a ROLB and had more sacks. The voting in the NFL is a joke. I usually agree with the MVP award and nothing else. Harrison should have been SB XLIII MVP- that was the greatest play in SB history and if it happened in the 4th quarter and not the 2nd quarter there would be no way to ever improve on it. I also thought Polamalu should have been DPOY when Harrison won but that all worked out fine... :tt04:

lloydwoodson
05-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Quick poll for anyone who does read this thread... would ANYONE take Suggs over JPP if you could have either player?

Bayz101
05-26-2012, 05:01 AM
Quick poll for anyone who does read this thread... would ANYONE take Suggs over JPP if you could have either player?

Not at this point in his career. Suggs is old, slow and it's over :toofunny:

lloydwoodson
05-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Not at this point in his career. Suggs is old, slow and it's over :toofunny:

Hahaha an appropriate response for a thread concerning the NFL gurus opinions.

tanda10506
05-26-2012, 05:14 AM

I wouldn't take either one over Harriaon and Woodley.

Bayz101
05-26-2012, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't take either one over Harriaon and Woodley.

I would at least consider taking J.P.P. over Harrison. Mainly due to age.

Twentyvalve
05-26-2012, 08:00 AM
No Ray-Ray?

So I was watching NFL network and they were doing a bit where they came up with the top 5 NFL LB's. The list and their explanations went like this:

1- Patrick Willis- no explanation, just a great LB
2- T. Suggs- last years best pass rusher according to Derrick Brooks
3- DeMarcus Ware- no explanation given
4- London Fletcher- "he keeps getting better with age"
5- Lance Briggs- no explanation given

Really....there isn't a Steeler LB in the top 5?

P. Willis might be #1, no big argument there. Suggs is good, I am not going to be a homer and say he is not, but the #2 LB in the NFL...no way. He's not even the best LB in the division, for that matter he's not even the best OLB in the division. It's arguable that he's not even the best LB on his team. No big fuss with Ware, he probably is top 5. London Fletcher does not belong on this list, if he is getting better with age that's great for him but he doesn't have enough years left to improve to the point where he is as good as Harrison or Woodley. The argument could be made for Briggs but if the list were being re-made he would be bumped down off the list since Harrion would be at #2 or #3.

After that followed a segment called "Panic in Pittsburgh" where they played up everything Ben has said and showed a highlight reel of basically all the bad offensive plays we ever had. Haters:chuckle: To their credit the commentators were pretty respectful and confident in our team. Unfortunately the age of the defense was brought up again even though we were #1 last year and have got younger since then.

tanda10506
05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I would at least consider taking J.P.P. over Harrison. Mainly due to age.

If your looking for longevity then yes but for 2012 I would take Harrison.