PDA

View Full Version : talk about piss'n me off....Top 50 players: Can't deny titled Brady anymore

Volpe1564
06-10-2005, 08:01 PM
listen to this shit.....

June 8, 2005
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

As journalists and fans, there are certain things we say or write that come back and bite us in the rear, things friends and readers never let us forget.

I once said Harold Miner would be the next Michael Jordan.

My father once said Earl Campbell wouldn't be any good in the NFL because he was too slow to the hole.

A radio colleague once insisted Ron Mercer would be a better NBA player than Tim Duncan.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

We all make mistakes. They happen to scouts and general managers, too. Only theirs count. And hurt a whole heck of a lot more.

So I'm about to fess up to a mistake -- a big one, one that has followed me around for a long time and made me fodder for an entire New England region.

Two years ago, I didn't put Tom Brady in my annual CBS SportsLine.com Top 50 NFL Players list. Boy, did I hear it and continue to hear it. You would have thought I trudged into Fenway Park wearing a Yankees jersey or defamed the Kennedy name.

Truth is, I was wrong. Maybe I didn't think he was a Top 50 player at the time, but time has proved me wrong.

Brady has it. It's hard to define it, but whatever it is, he has it.

This is an instance in which the numbers don't tell the greatness of the player. Consider this: He was 10th in the league in passing yards last season, ninth in passer rating and sixth in touchdown passes. Aaron Brooks had more yards, Brian Griese had a higher passer rating and Jake Delhomme threw more touchdowns.

None of those players will sniff the Hall, unless Griese is there to see his dad's bust.

Brady is on his way.

heres the rest of this bullshit (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8545074/1)

if you dont want to choke on this assholes bullshit ill cut through the it for you, here's the only Steeler on the frickin list:

48. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers: I left him off this list last season and heard it from the Steelers fans. That won't happen this year.

look at the other yo-yos that he puts on there before Ward??!?!! :sign05:

Volpe1564
06-10-2005, 08:04 PM
am i the only one that thinks that everyone in the media is on Brady's wood like a termite??? its like Madden loves Farve only worse!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Cry the blues :blah: Top 50 of All time.. uh, I think not.. u can't put him in that kinda status just yet..

ironcitychef
06-11-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't think it is for all time, just kinda a who to watch this year. Pretty stat and hype heavy if you ask me. I don't mind the names on the list and exact placement can be debated, but Chad Johnson above Hines Ward? Shockey in the middle of the pack? Sounds like someone forgot about a deadline and filled some space...:coffee:

clevestinks
06-11-2005, 12:28 PM
i would`nt think it was for all time either. I could see him being the number one guy right now! I mean who else has 3 rings on thier resume? And qbs will always be rated high. Hey to be the man, you have to beat the man

Volpe1564
06-11-2005, 05:08 PM
its just a this year kinda thing.....

stillers4strife
06-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I think it is just a "Who to watch" list for this year. Some oft injured guys like Shockey and McNair on the list. Really I think Faneca should have made the list as well. Possibly before Ward. Plenty of good-to-great WR's in the league...fewer good-to-great OG's.

But these lists are just a subjective view from one writer who may or may not like a certain team, player, area of the country, etc. At this point, it's just bragging rights for the fans of those teams' players who made the list. Just like the Power Rankings at this point....nothing more than bragging rights. And superficial ones at that.

Why not extend the "usefulness" of the list? Who on the list hits the Injured Reserve? Who hits the IR first? Second? Who ends up on the IR before the season starts? Who is the biggest disappointment in '05? And so on.

Yeah, this list is already more relevant. :)

stillers4strife
06-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh yeah, I think McNair ends up on the IR first. A close second is Shockey. It appears I have it out for those guys...and yeah, I guess I do :)

clevestinks
06-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Then again if it is just for this year I would think Hines should be higher?

stillers4strife
06-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Again, it's a subjective list. What's the criteria?

I'm surprised that one guy from a 15-1 team would end up on the list.

I don't envy the job of putting that list together. It would be tough to remain objective. And I'm sure Prisco believes himself to be. :rolleyes:

As far as Ward in '05, I think many in the non-Steeler media look at Roethlisberger's post-season slip/failure and project it onto this year. Many seem to place a large emphasis on Plax's departure. If you read what Prisco writes, it really seems he's doing it as a favor to Steeler fans.

Personally, I'd put Staley on that list. Hell, if no Steeler O-Lineman is worthy of the list, certainly the guy who will benefit greatly from the Steeler OL should be on the list. Obviously injuries or the possibility of injuries doesn't mean much for placement on the list.

ironcitychef
06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Here is my thing. There are 32 teams. You gotta figure every team has some kinda superstar(so maybe you leave off ARI , CLE, and SF). So you are telling me that on a 15-1 team our best superstar is only #48? Thats almost saying every team has two players better than our best one, and that isn't close to being right even if I am biased.

hardwork
06-12-2005, 12:04 AM
I tell ya, the Patriots get less respect then Rodney Dangerfield.

This guy's got Manning over Brady? Are you jolking me? After what we've done to Manning every year, and after what Brady's been doing?

Then he has Seymour way down at #14. This guy must have been drunk.

Well, we'll have to go out and prove ourselves all over again I guess.

Tha rock
06-12-2005, 12:23 AM
I was pissed moss is cool at 4 but C-wood at 50 he should of been alot higher than that.

clevestinks
06-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Here is my thing. There are 32 teams. You gotta figure every team has some kinda superstar(so maybe you leave off ARI , CLE, and SF). So you are telling me that on a 15-1 team our best superstar is only #48? Thats almost saying every team has two players better than our best one, and that isn't close to being right even if I am biased.

Great point ICC. Who the hell is this guy anyway. Troy P. doenst even make the list?

clevestinks
06-12-2005, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=hardwork]I tell ya, the Patriots get less respect then Rodney Dangerfield.

This guy's got Manning over Brady? Are you jolking me? After what we've done to Manning every year, and after what Brady's been doing?

HW I guess if its the top QBs in the league then you can sort of understand Manning edging out everyone. Fundamentally he has all the skills and as much as I am not a Manning fan, he does throw bullets. Props to him.

But if this is top players and not Qbs, then I would give the edge to Brady, I mean its all about winning, isn`t it? Marino would cash in some of his records for rings anyday. I do understand that Manning has no D, but that is part of the game.

hardwork
06-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Cleve, I was half joking, but this is supposed to be the top players. Manning has a gun, no question, but until he can show us he can overcome a complex defense, you just can't put him on top.

I saw the "book" on the Steelers and Patriots before the playoff game. By "book" I mean the rating other teams give to each player on a team. You had us by one or two players. Can't remember which. In other words you were one or two players better then us. Clearly you should have had more then one player in the top 50. So, who the hell is this guy?

hardwork
06-12-2005, 12:16 PM
That's a little unfair to Manning. Let me put it this way. The problem with the Colt offense is that their receivers are somewhat lacking in the area of intestinal fortitude. If you beat them up, they don't want to play any more.

BB2W
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
This guys list is always wack! Hines at 48th,and Al Wilson makes the list but not Porter or Farrior......the Defensive MVP. What???

stillers4strife
06-12-2005, 02:17 PM
When the lists of "Top 25/50/75/100 Guys To Watch Next Year" come out, you know we're in one of the deadest parts of the off-season. There isn't anything else to talk about that hasn't already been hashed over a million times to put out a list that will create conversation. What else is Prisco to do in the off-season? Already discussed the free agency period, the draft, and projections on where teams will finish in '05. He probably has to keep writing something, even if it's garbage, to keep his job.

Similar reasoning behind starting the "Who is the best Steeler LB/WR/QB/RB ever?" threads on various Steeler boards. It creates discussion when there isn't much to discuss.

I asked on another Steeler message board why Al Wilson was on the list. The response I got was that he was underrated. To be honest, I don't know much about him. But I'm sure there are better players out there. After Farrior's year last year, why not put him up there?

I still think the biggest snub is to the Steeler OL. Put just about any RB behind that line last year and he's going to rack up 100+ yard game after 100+ yard game.

BB2W
06-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Al Wilson is good, and he has more athletic ability than Farrior, but I think the Defensive Player of the Year has to be in the top 25 maybe top 10.

Volpe1564
06-12-2005, 03:22 PM
it all adds up to BS....lol it just shows that you dont have to know shit about football to have a media sprots job...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Al Wilson is good, and he has more athletic ability than Farrior, but I think the Defensive Player of the Year has to be in the top 25 maybe top 10.

I'd have to disagree here w/ ya man. Farrior is the complete LB is the league. He's as sure a tackler as they come, he can shed blocks, and cover TE and Backs as good as anybody.

Wilson is good, no doubt, but I'd still rank Farrior a notch above.

clevestinks
06-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Once again not much respect for us. Hopefully we will just feed off of this.

bigbensgirl7
06-13-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone here! That list is a bunch of BS...and if I was Cowher I would make sure that every one of our players see that. You don't make it to the AFCCG and finish regular season at 15-1 with The #48th player in the league being your best! Whatever...this will just make our guys want it more. It's always more satisfying to prove these "EXPERTS" wrong!!!