PDA

View Full Version : Wish we would of picked Big Ben...

chargerboy
07-23-2006, 10:26 PM
In the 04 draft ,i sure was hoping we chose Big Ben but noooo, we got Rivers Who and the heck is Rivers? Well now i know a lil about him but still, i wish we would of got Big Ben, he is the man we need at QB not this Rivers guy.

SteelCzar76
07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
In the 04 draft ,i sure was hoping we chose Big Ben but noooo, we got Rivers Who and the heck is Rivers? Well now i know a lil about him but still, i wish we would of got Big Ben, he is the man we need at QB not this Rivers guy.

Actually,...Rivers was more productive at the college level than both Ben and Eli. We were set to take him (Rivers) with the 11th pick. Ben was told shortly before the draft by the Giants that he was their Guy. (Though they coveted Eli,..but thought him going to San Diego was an almost forgone conclusion). Long story short,.... She-li pulls a fast one,...and the Giants pull the trigger. Marty coached Rivers at the senior bowl that year and was impressed enough by him to go his direction. The rest is History for us,...if Eli hadn't Flaked,...Ben would very likely be a Giant. You've got a potential franchise stud in Rivers,..just give him chance.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

SteelCzar76
07-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Bump

SteelersMongol
07-23-2006, 11:42 PM

I don't know much about the college football, but I guess Big Ben was destined to be a Steeler at birth by God. :smile:

SteelShooter
07-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I don't know much about the college football, but I guess Big Ben was destined to be a Steeler at birth by God. :smile:

Hell Yes!

SteelerzGirl
07-24-2006, 02:01 AM

Ben was one of the few who was chosen by someone in Heaven... Art Rooney, Sr.! :smile:

SteelCzar76
07-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Ben was one of the few who was chosen by someone in Heaven... Art Rooney, Sr.! :smile:

I sure like to think so too SteelerzGirl !

" Hail Caesar,......Hail the Black and Gold"

HometownGal
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM

The gods were definitely smiling down upon us when the Steelers were able to get Ben, chargerboy, but give Rivers a shot and see what he can do for the Chargers' offense and the team as a whole. He just may be a diamond in the rough - only time will tell. Keep the faith! :smile:

msafford
07-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Being a BGSU alum and also a big Steelers fan, there was a time I must confess when I didn't like Big Ben too much. I believe it was the '03 MAC championship game, when Ben made the BG defense look like a bunch of "special" people (not real hard to do.) by throwing for 440 yds. I remember thinking, "Who is this jerk whooping my Falcons?", and "Man, I hope the Steelers get him!" Well, the rest they say is history.

83-Steelers-43
07-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Who's this Rivers guy?

Well we know he was on the college level, but we don't know who he is on the NFL level. Kid is still young. Hard to knock a guy when you haven't seen much of him on the NFL level. I wouldn't give up on the kid just yet. At least give him a chance.

X-Terminator
07-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Rivers has had 2 seasons to learn behind Drew Brees, so hopefully he'll be an effective QB this season. He'll have LT and Gates as weapons, which certainly can't hurt. He's young and in his 3rd year, so give him a chance and see what he can do.

dhosmer
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Being a BGSU alum and also a big Steelers fan, there was a time I must confess when I didn't like Big Ben too much. I believe it was the '03 MAC championship game, when Ben made the BG defense look like a bunch of "special" people (not real hard to do.) by throwing for 440 yds. I remember thinking, "Who is this jerk whooping my Falcons?", and "Man, I hope the Steelers get him!" Well, the rest they say is history.

Yeah, I'm a recent BG alum too. I was hyped when we took Big Ben (even though I was sick of him). I was a little bummed we didn't get Josh Harris that year, but hey, it's for the better. Did you watch the Steelers games at BW3's?

Woogie
07-24-2006, 11:24 AM
My father in law saved me an article from the Findlay Courier back when Ben decided to go to Miami (my alma mater). My husband is from Findlay, but grew up a Steeler fan thanks to his mom. Anyway, he told me to, "watch this guy...he's good", and I did. I especially loved watching him during his '03 season as was SO excited to draft Ben!!!

Father in law has :rolleyes: since converted to the Steeler fan we've been telling him for years to cross over to (he was previously a Browns fan).

lilyoder6
07-24-2006, 02:31 PM
ben was suppose to be the best qb in the draft and was talkin to the chargers and giants with contract numbers.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Bless that man!c:salute:

And for taking the time to leave his busy schedule at the track in heaven to decend into the body of that paramedic who plugged that vein so entire generation of Steeler faithful were not left in only black.

siss
07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Actually my theory is that the chief was the one that saved Bens shoulder from injury. As for the chosen permedics...they were on a mission from god!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Well I have been a big fan of Ben since his college days. I had a friend that went to Ball State. Ball State is in the Mac conference. The same conference as Miami of Ohio. So my friend witnessed the greatness of Ben first hand. I was hoping and praying that Ben would fall to us before the 2004 draft. I didn't think it was going to happen. But I'm so glad he did. Ben has done nothing to disappoint me so far and has exceeded my early expectations of him.

About Phil Rivers. I think he was vastly overrated in the draft and didn't deserve to be drafted that high. But I think he will be a very good NFL QB and have a very good career.

Midnightwriter07
07-25-2006, 02:01 PM
On Rivers ....

Rivers could have easily been in the same spot as Big Ben .. But Rivers held out and they may have cost him getting playing time that first year ... Brees had a breakout year and they elected to stay with him .. Ben got a break that Maddox went down... remember if that had not of happened .. well who knows I guess.. but Rivers has as many weapons on offense to work with .. a decent organization, and he will be the guy so i think he will end up doing ok. BUt also there have been plenty of QB's in this league that had great college careers and then did not do anything once in the NFL so will just have to see.. I am happy Ben was not one of those guys !! I too thougth Ben was the best QB in the draft and more than happy when we selected him and he fell to us. I didnt want either of the other two so it worked out well so far and Ben has already become the current and the future face of this organization ( ok ok behind the Rooneys and Cowher )

SteelCzar76
07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Philip Rivers Collegiate Breakdown.

Overview: Second leading passer in NCAA history with 13,484 career passing yards, breaking school and ACC records ... Set NCAA record with 51 career starts at quarterback ... also finished second in NCAA history with 13,582 career yards of total offense, breaking school and ACC records ... Tied for fifth in NCAA history with 95 career touchdown passes, breaking school and ACC records ... also broke school and conference records for career passing attempts (1,710), pass completions (1,147), touchdown responsiblity (112), 300-yard passing games (18) and 400-yard passing games (7) ... started all 51 games of his four years and threw for at least 100 yards in every single game ... posted a 34-17 career record at quarterback ... first QB in ACC history, and the seventh in the history of the NCAA, to throw for 3,000 yards in three different seasons ... completed 110-161 passes in four bowl games for 1,202 yards, 10 TDs, 3 interceptions and rushed for 65 yards ... jersey number 17 was retired before last home game, Nov. 22, 2003 against Maryland ... graduated Dec. 18, 2003 with a degree in business ... A first round draft choice selected by the New York Giants with the fourth pick of the 2004 NFL Draft and was traded to the San Diego Chargers minutes later

PHYSICALY,....... Ben was the Best Qb comming out of school that year.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Polamalu43
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM

I agree, I'm sorry 2 say this but I think rivers is gonna suck as a starting QB, he just looks soft..