PDA

View Full Version : Steelers RB Isaac Redman eager to prove himself while Mendenhall heals

mesaSteeler
05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Steelers RB Isaac Redman eager to prove himself while Mendenhall heals
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/steelers-rb-isaac-redman-eager-to-prove-himself-while-mendenhall-heals/2012/05/23/gJQAuku0kU_story.html
By Associated Press, Published: May 23

PITTSBURGH — They don’t celebrate NFL backups in southern New Jersey. Trust Isaac Redman on this.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers running back returned to his hometown of Paulsboro, N.J., during the offseason after his rookie year in the NFL in 2009, people just kind of shrugged their shoulders.

Three years later, things have changed. The overweight kid from Division II Bowie State who barely made the practice squad during that miserable first season is now the centerpiece for a running attack geared at taking pressure off quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

And the fine folks in Paulsboro know it.

“I get a lot different treatment now when I’m home than I did when I was on the practice squad,” Redman said with a laugh.

Redman is such a celebrity he’s even holding his first football camp at Paulsboro High next month. It’s heady territory for a player who spent his first training camp with the Steelers trying to get coach Mike Tomlin to remember his name.

It wasn’t until Redman beat the first-team defense for a series of touchdowns during a goal line drill that he got Tomlin’s attention, with the coach nicknaming the 6-foot, 230-pound Redman “Red Zone.”

It’s a fond memory of a day that probably saved Redman’s career. Fast-forward to 2012, and Redman’s perseverance has paid off with the opportunity he knew would come eventually.

Redman practiced with the first string during the second day of organized team activities on Wednesday and will get the initial crack at replacing injured starter Rashard Mendenhall, who remains out indefinitely while recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL.

Mendenhall is optimistic he can return at some point this fall, but even he’s not willing to put his recovery on any sort of timeline.

“I’m just focused on getting back 100 percent,” Mendenhall said. “At what point I do that, whenever that is, I don’t know.”

That leaves it up to Redman to lead the backfield as it transitions to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s diverse offense.

Haley helped the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl with an offense that featured Kurt Warner at quarterback throwing it to Pro Bowlers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin then took the Kansas City Chiefs to the playoffs with a run-first attack that leaned heavily on Jamaal Charles.

The Chiefs ran for an NFL-high 2,627 yards in 2010, a number the Steelers haven’t reached since going 15-1 in 2001.

While Roethlisberger and his receivers have wrung their hands about how long it will take to master Haley’s playbook, Redman rubbed his hands in glee.

The Steelers evolved into a passing team under former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The pendulum may be swinging back now.

“(The Chiefs) were running the ball a lot and they were toting it too,” Redman said. “Hopefully when we get out here and we start hitting on all cylinders and those young guys get going ... we’ll see how this thing looks.”

Redman, for one, looks ready for the job. Bogged by weight issues early in his career, Redman understands being an NFL starter isn’t a part-time job. He paid better attention to his diet in the offseason and increased his cardio workload to stay fresh.

He’s been a workhorse before. Redman holds all the major rushing records at Bowie State, including yards in a season, career yards and carries in a game. His NFL workload hasn’t been nearly as heavy, all that means to him is that he’s fresh.

Redman — who acknowledges his job is to pound between the tackles, not blow by defenders — certainly looked fresh in Pittsburgh’s 29-23 playoff loss to the Denver Broncos. He rushed for 121 yards on 17 carries, with 77 yards coming in the second half. He also caught two passes, a skill he’ll likely need as part of Haley’s complex scheme.

Redman snagged a couple of screen passes during drills on Wednesday, but just laughed when asked if he was the back spotted hauling in a rainbow down the sideline from Roethlisberger on one play.

“That wasn’t me, that was (Chris) Rainey,” Redman said. “I don’t move that fast.”

He won’t need to so long as he keeps moving forward. The Steelers struggled in the red zone at times last season, in part because of an inability to get tough yards on the ground near the goal line.

Adding a fullback to the mix should help. The Steelers are converting tight end David Johnson to fullback this season, a move they hope creates the kind of thrust needed in tight spaces.

It’s the kind of environment that Redman thrives in. His determination helped him make the team three years ago. The Steelers will rely on it to help them contend in 2012.

At age 27, Redman understands he’s a late bloomer. He hardly cares so long as he blooms.

“Coming into the season there’s always some type of nerves,” Redman said. “But once you step on the field and start performing, all the nerves just go away and you just try to perform at a high level, which I’m sure I’m going to do.”

Bayz101
05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I think Redman has what it takes to last an entire season, with maximum carries. He did GREAT in the Denver playoff game.

TRH
05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I think Redman has what it takes to last an entire season, with maximum carries. He did GREAT in the Denver playoff game.

I second that. I won't miss Mendenhall at all.....and barring injury to Redman, i don't think the team will either.

WVABE
05-27-2012, 08:32 PM
I really like Redman starting this season and see him easily getting 1400 yards combined.
If the coaching staff let him play his game and barring any injuries, I see him starting and finishing the season as the No. 1 RB.

steeltheone
05-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Some pretty high expectations for Redman...

Steelersfan87
05-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I wonder if they give Mendenhall his starting job back if they both are performing well once he's healthy.

TheVet
05-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Redman has already earned the #1, even without the Mendenhall injury. He's outperformed Mendenhall consistently.

Galax Steeler
05-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Redman has what it takes to be a good back. It will be interesting to see what happens when Mendy comes back.

FrancoLambert
05-28-2012, 09:08 AM
I love the giddy anticipation as to what Redman can do for us, and I hope he provides it for an entire season.
What I don't get is the "piling on" Mendy-bashing. Too many seem to forget what he provided for us.
Replay the Ravens and Jets playoff victories from 2 years ago.
That should refresh your memory.
I'll say it again. Mendy's "drop-off" was due to a piss-poor O-line that was reshuffled from game to game.

67 calsteel
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
When and if Mendenhall returns maybe we see the both in the back field at the same time as we were teases with when Arien was here.
Love that we are going to make full use of the running backs as runners and receivers.This alone has doubled the old playbook.

Hope both Batch and Rainey make the team.Image 2rd and 3 shotgun formation 3 wr(Wallace,Brown and Sanders and a 2back(Batch and Rainey) proset .Talk about spreading the field and open up passing lane.Man just the thought has got me ready for some football>

Hawaii 5-0
05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Isaac Redman 2012: Should we temper our expectations?

by mike14101 on May 26, 2012

Here are some recent accounts back ups whose yards per carry (YPC) fell when asked to be the lead back:

Note: There are other examples, but I chose these guys because they are recent and are similar to Redman in that they are bruisers.

Jonathan Stewart (Deangelo Williams got hurt 6 weeks through the 2010 season)

2009 – 221 carries, 5.1 YPC

2010 – 178 carries, 4.3 YPC

Shonn Greene (2009-2010 when Thomas Jones left)

2009 – 108 carries, 5.0 YPC

2010 – 185 carries, 4.1 YPC

Marion Barber (2007-2008 when Julius Jones left)

2007 – 204 carries, 4.8 YPC

2008 – 238 carries, 3.7 YPC

Michael Bush – (2011 run DMC went down half way through the season)

2010 – 155 carries, 4.1 YPC

2011 – 256 carries, 3.8 YPC

This is a small sample and there are obviously many other factors that go into a running back’s performance (not to mention that not all backups in the history of the NFL experience a decline in YPC as they move to starter), but I think that these accounts paint a nice portrait of some of the downfalls of being the lead man.

My personal opinion is that Redman does a solid job while filling in for Mendenhall and starts 8 games and averages 4.1 YPC, scores 7 TD’s, and rushes for 850 yards on the season. However, I don’t expect him to make quite the impact that some may think and make us cast Mendenhall off to the island of misfit toys (still have high hopes for him).

In the two regular season games in which the 27 year old Redman carried the bulk of the load, he has averaged 4.2 YPC, scored 1 td, and lost 2 fumbles. However he finished the season with a solid effort in Denver, rushing for 121 yards and averaging 7.1 YPC.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/26/3044623/isaac-redman-2012-should-we-temper-our-expectations

Bayz101
05-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I recall Redman's YPC dropping when starting at RB when Mendy was hurt early last season, but then he went and had an outstanding playoff game. New offensive line may just propel him.

Steelersfan87
05-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Anybody else see this? Ed Bouchette linked to it on his blog today.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/28/secret-superstar-isaac-redman-rb-pittsburgh-steelers/

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers' Isaac Redman Targets Repeat of Barry Foster's 1992 Success

By William Renken (Contributor) on May 28, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/718/912/JacobFordIsaacRedmanPittsburghSteelersb2G7jPODLqml _crop_340x234.jpg?1338207241

Could 2012 be Isaac Redman's break out year?

A perfect storm of events has presumably given Isaac Redman the big break his NFL career has needed.

With Todd Haley’s run-first attack taking over the Steelers’ offensive playbook and Rashard Mendenhall out for presumably the entire 2012 regular season, Redman has the opportunity to step into the starter’s spot for a team that appears eager to get back to being a dominant rushing attack.

Redman (6'0", 230 pounds), a third-year back out of Bowie State, has averaged 4.5 yards per carry on only 162 touches since joining the active roster in 2010. But in all fairness, most of Redman’s utility has come in short-yardage or goal-line situations.

Mendenhall’s injury now puts Redman in the position to make a name for himself beyond just his short-yardage utility. Perhaps it is fitting that the 2012 season marks 20 years since another Pittsburgh running back emerged on the national stage in the wake of a coaching change.

In 1990, legendary Steelers coach Chuck Noll drafted Barry Foster (5'10", 223 pounds) as the 19th pick in the fifth round of the NFL draft. The Arkansas back—at 5’10, 223 pounds—was brought in primarily to be a dual-threat not only in the backfield for the Steelers but also as a special teams returner.

The 1990 season saw Foster in both roles but only in a small capacity, getting only 36 touches from scrimmage and only returning three kicks. In 1991, Foster was moved to the running back role exclusively, and started off the season strong with a week-two performance against the Buffalo Bills that saw him rush for 121 yards including a 56-yard scamper.

But an ankle injury limited Foster to only nine starts in 1991 as the Steelers plummeted to seventeenth in the league in rushing and missed the playoffs at 7-9. The 1992 season saw a milestone changing of the guard in Pittsburgh, as Bill Cowher stepped into the role of head coach, replacing Noll and beginning a new chapter in Steelers history.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/441/601/barryfoster_original_original_crop_340x234.jpg?133 8207708

Foster's 1,690 rushing yards in 1992 remains a Steelers' record.

Committed to establishing the run, Cowher built the 1992 season around a fully-healed Foster, who would start in fifteen out of sixteen games, touching the ball 390 times from scrimmage and racking up not only an AFC leading 1,690 yards (23 short of the NFL lead) but also the Steelers’ team record for a season previously held by Franco Harris.

Behind Foster’s rushing success (and AFC Offensive Player of the Year honors), the Steelers finished 1992 with a record of 11-5, losing in the Divisional Playoffs to the Buffalo Bills.

As impressive as 1992 was for Foster, 1993 looked even more promising before another ankle injury limited him to only nine games.

The same was the case in 1994, as a sprained knee limited him to only eleven games as the Steelers played all the way to the AFC Championship Game that year, narrowly losing to the San Diego Chargers, 17-13. Sadly, it would be Foster’s last game as a Steeler amidst his nagging injuries and the rise of Bam Morris in his absence.

Foster would only play one more year in the league…

Twenty years later, and Foster’s season rushing record of 1,690 yards still stands over a Steelers team in the midst of another coaching change with Haley in as offensive coordinator. As Foster was primarily an unknown in his first two years with the Steelers (132 attempts, 691 yards), Redman is in a similar position (162 attempts, 726 yards). And just like Foster in 1992, Redman is being spirited as the go-to guy in 2012.

The round number timing is no guarantee of success for Redman, but it can never hurt to have a little history behind him either.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1198616-pittsburghs-redman-looks-to-repeat-barry-fosters-1992-success-in-2012

TheVet
05-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Anybody else see this? Ed Bouchette linked to it on his blog today.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/28/secret-superstar-isaac-redman-rb-pittsburgh-steelers/

Good article - this guy has been watching. Redman has already shown that he deserves a true shot at the #1 slot by consistently outperforming. Redman has been our best back for at least the past year.

lardlad
05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I think Redman has already proven himself. I expect no surprises and for him to pick up where he left off - which I would say is pretty good. I don't see any breakout year, huge surprises, or for us to find out anything new about him. I think we all know what we have in him.

What makes me most excited about Redman is his legs never stop, but once in a while that has been bad. Fighting tooth and nail for another inch has cost the team a turnover.

And I am not at all on board with the mendy bashers. He is a very good back and comparing him to Redman is unfair to both of them. Mendenhall needs space, and if you give it to him, he'll light you up. But Redman can make holes where there are none, and he does well in space too. But they are different runners and I don't see why it has to be one or the other, they dont compete in the same situations. There is a lot of complement not overlap there.

Steelersfan87
05-30-2012, 09:18 PM
As I'm sure everybody on this forum will be very excited to hear, I have personally started writing for Examiner.com about football. Of course, as a Steelers fan, my news will be heavily skewed toward the Steelers. This is the first article that I've written so far. You can subscribe to my articles as well (just click the subscribe button beneath my name at the top, enter your e-mail, and then you'll receive a confirmation e-mail. Click the link to confirm your e-mail, and then the site will send you an e-mail whenever I post a new article). Click the link to read the full thing, obviously.

Why the Pittsburgh Steelers did not replace Rashard Mendenhall via free agency (http://www.examiner.com/article/why-the-pittsburgh-steelers-did-not-replace-rashard-mendenhall-via-free-agency)

When Pittsburgh Steelers starting running back Rashard Mendenhall left the week 17 season closer against the Cleveland Browns with a torn ACL, many outside of Pittsburgh believed the future of the position for next season looked bleak. Many speculated that the Steelers would test the waters of free agency to try to fill the void, but as players like BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Peyton Hillis found their way to the Cincinnati Bengals and Kansas City Chiefs, respectively, some began to wonder.

When the NFL draft came and went and the Steelers only came out of it with a 5’9”, 180 lbs. scat back in the 5th round, and veteran running backs such as Ryan Grant and Cedric Benson remained without a team, still more appeared perplexed as to why the Steelers refused to address their supposed running back needs.

After all, Mendenhall, who as a 2008 1st round pick has started the majority of the past 3 seasons, rushing for close for 3,400 yards with 30 total touchdowns, is widely speculated to begin the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List, which would force him to miss at least the first 6 games of the regular season, by rule.

tony hipchest
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
As I'm sure everybody on this forum will be very excited to hear, I have personally started writing for Examiner.com about football. Of course, as a Steelers fan, my news will be heavily skewed toward the Steelers. This is the first article that I've written so far. You can subscribe to my articles as well (just click the subscribe button beneath my name at the top, enter your e-mail, and then you'll receive a confirmation e-mail. Click the link to confirm your e-mail, and then the site will send you an e-mail whenever I post a new article). Click the link to read the full thing, obviously.

Why the Pittsburgh Steelers did not replace Rashard Mendenhall via free agency (http://www.examiner.com/article/why-the-pittsburgh-steelers-did-not-replace-rashard-mendenhall-via-free-agency)

:applaudit: good job and congrats. i'll have to subscribe, but by all means, feel free to link your articles here (not considered spam in this case) on the site to help gain some more views and subscribers.

one thing i think doesnt get enough consideration w/ redman is we're used to seeing him create holes through the line, bowl over and slip tackles of backers, and hopefully bust one.

people cite his lack of jukes or break away speed, but this year i believe we will see him hit wide open holes and take on the secondary with a full head of steam.

that could be very nasty.

Bayz101
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM

Congrats! I subbed, awaiting email now.

Steelersfan87
05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
:applaudit: good job and congrats. i'll have to subscribe, but by all means, feel free to link your articles here (not considered spam in this case) on the site to help gain some more views and subscribers.

one thing i think doesnt get enough consideration w/ redman is we're used to seeing him create holes through the line, bowl over and slip tackles of backers, and hopefully bust one.

people cite his lack of jukes or break away speed, but this year i believe we will see him hit wide open holes and take on the secondary with a full head of steam.

that could be very nasty.

Agreed. In fact, I think his elusiveness is underrated. He doesn't have break away speed, like you said, but he does have some moves to make people miss. He's not all power. Definitely looking forward to watching him this year. Thanks for subscribing by the way.

Congrats! I subbed, awaiting email now.

Thanks guys! :drink:

Hawaii 5-0
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I didn't know this about Redman...

Pittsburgh Steelers Player Profiles: RB Isaac Redman

by Rebecca Rollett on Jun 1, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4209811/GYI0062713601.jpg

Many words have been written about Isaac Redman on this site, detailing his amazing super powers and suchlike. But this article is a serious look at the real Isaac Redman, the RB who is the heir presumptive to Rashard Mendenhall's temporarily vacated throne.

Isaac Redman started his tenure as a Steeler as a fan favorite rather than a coaches' favorite, but in the ensuing years has matured greatly as a player. Early struggles with conditioning and effort are long past. But those struggles were only part of a long process for Redman, a process filled with obstacles which at times made a career in the NFL seem vastly improbable. As unpleasant as they must have been, they have made him the player and the man he is now.

The first, and worst, obstacle was his arrest at age 18. Redman had just won the New Jersey state wrestling championship and was the star running back at his high school. He had a scholarship offer from Temple, and seemed to be on top of the world. But an encounter with an underage girl after a party led to a charge of sexual assault, and he faced a possible 20 years of jail time. Fortunately for him, his mother believed in him and wouldn't give up. She lost her car, her house, and her husband in the pursuit of justice for Isaac, and eventually it paid off. A plea deal kept him out of jail. But Temple withdrew the scholarship offer, purportedly because of his low SAT scores, and lost along with the scholarship was, seemingly, the hope of a career in the NFL.

Fortunately, a cousin knew someone who knew someone, as such things go, and Bowie State decided to give Redman a chance. He took it, his freshman year. He studied hard, worked hard, trained hard, and had a spectacular season. As this article details:

Redman led the team that year, rushing for over 1,500 yards and becoming known as a tough, aggressive runner.

But unfortunately his resolve seemed to crumble the following year, and his sophomore season was sufficiently disappointing to get him benched the next season.

A teammate of Redman's, Steven Bailey, said that people had lost faith in the talent Redman showed entering Bowie in 2004. "He just seemed like he fell off... like he wasn't working out or keeping in shape at all," Bailey said.

The back replacing him that year was not as good a player, but he was reliable. He graduated at the end of the year, leaving the field to Isaac Redman once more. Although Redman played well, injuries cut his junior season short. In his final (fifth) year at Bowie State he still struggled with his weight and conditioning, and did not amass much in the way of impressive statistics.

Educators say the best predictor of a student's performance in college is their performance in high school. NFL teams look at a player's performance in college to try to predict how he might perform in the NFL. It behooves someone who is determined to have a career in the NFL, as Redman said he was, to use his college time to full advantage. Isaac Redman gathered the bitter fruit of his uneven college career by going undrafted.

But once again fate intervened, this time in the form of the wife of Todd McNair, with whom Redman went to work out. McNair's wife happened to be Redman's mother's niece, and McNair happened to know Bruce Arians. He sent Arians some game film of Redman and asked him to watch it. As a result Redman was invited to a mini-camp and eventually to the 2009 training camp. Some impressive runs in the preseason garnered him the name of "Redzone Redman" and the undying affection of Steeler Nation. But the coaches weren't convinced. He still struggled with his weight and his conditioning, and the Turk came for a visit.

After he cleared waivers Redman was signed to the practice squad. But as this article tells it:

Despite the fact the team kept him around, he felt like he failed, like he had blown his NFL shot, that he had failed his mother and Bowie and everyone who had taken the chance on him.

Determined to give it his best, Redman worked hard during the 2010 offseason, and it showed. He made the roster in 2010, and this time he didn't take it for granted. He played well in the opportunities he was given, including scoring a touchdown in the second 2010 Ravens game when, apparently, he wasn't supposed to be the back on the field. But somebody sent him out instead of Mewelde Moore, and he snagged a Roethlisberger short pass, broke a tackle or two, and bulled his way into the end zone.

Despite his promising 2010 season, Redman still had limited carries—certainly not as many as a lot of Steeler Nation thought he should—but he made the most of the ones he got. And after Rashard Mendenhall went down in the last regular-season game, Redman was named the starter for the Wild Card game in Denver. His performance was one of the few bright spots in an otherwise depressing game.

In an interview with Teresa Varley on Steelers.com four days after the game, Redman was subdued, and expressed his disappointment at not "bringing one home for Coach Kirbs." He was on his way to visit Kirby at the hospital, where the coach was recovering from extensive burns sustained in a kitchen fire. Redman talked about how different it was not having Coach Kirby on the sideline, and how he was thinking about him the whole game.

Every time I got the ball I just wanted to give it my all, so whenever he gets well and able to look back at that game, I just wanted him to say "This guy really played his heart out for me."

The 2012 season brings a new challenge and a new opportunity for Redman. The primary RB spot is currently vacant. Various people from the organization, including Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, have expressed confidence in Redman's ability to be the starting RB. Furthermore, they not only said it, but they didn't attempt to pick up a running back in the draft until the 5th round. The one they did pick up is not a traditional between-the-tackles back. They must have really meant what they said.

Redman not only has the confidence of the coaches and the front office—he has the confidence of the man he will presumably replace for the time being. (from NFL.com)

"Isaac is a great player," Mendenhall said. "The way he works and prepares and even coming from where he came from, being undrafted to where he is now."

In the interview after the Denver game, Teresa Varley asked Isaac Redman what was the most positive thing he took away from the 2011 season. He said, "Looking at this team, looking at all the things we've been through, so many injuries—we've seen so many guys battle and fight back from injuries. We've seen guys step up for other guys that have been injured—just to see the fight in all the guys, guys like John Clay, who's been on the practice squad... You look at these guys and you understand that everybody is willing to really put their hand in the pile and help this team win by any means necessary."

I think one could say the same for Isaac Redman. He's fought his way back from many wounds, largely self-inflicted. Such self-inflicted wounds are perhaps more difficult to come back from than more traditional injuries. But tough as they are, they are also a great revealer of the basic character of a man. Redman has found within himself the ability to take a hit and get back up, and he appears to be ready for this opportunity, nine years in the making. Steeler Nation will be cheering him on, along with his biggest fan—the mother who believed in him through thick and thin.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/1/3056308/pittsburgh-steelers-isaac-redman-stats-interview-rashard-mendenhall#storyjump

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Paulsboro High School product, current Pittsburgh Steeler Isaac Redman confirms football camp details

Published: Monday, June 04, 2012

http://media.nj.com/gloucester-sports/photo/11130470-large.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Isaac Redman has confirmed the details for his upcoming camp at his alma mater of Paulsboro High School.

He’s also confirmed who will be joining him.

Redman will be bringing a host of teammates and another Paulsboro product — current New England Patriots linebacker Alex Silvestro — with him when he returns to South Jersey for his inaugural Redzone Football Camp at the end of this month.

Fellow Steelers will include center Maurkice Pouncey, cornerback Keenan Lewis, guard Ramon Foster and breakout wide receiver Antonio Brown.

“I’m just happy these guys said they would do it for me,” Redman said. “Everyone I asked was more than willing to come. I know there are kids in the neighborhood that have never gotten a chance to see the guys they watch on TV or play with on Playstation. I hope this is something they remember for the rest of their lives.”

The camp, originally slated to include just athletes in the age bracket of 12-17, will now allow players as young as 8, after Redman received a lot of interest in expanding the camp.

“A lot of younger kids were inquiring about it,” Redman said. “I didn’t want it to feel like I was letting anyone down in the neighborhood. A lot of people I know were asking if younger kids could come and I decided to lower the age limit and let everyone come.

“This is for the youth, that’s why you do it. And when you get that type of feedback and that many people that want to come and be a part of it, it’s exciting.”

Redman has decided to give back to the community after a successful collegiate career that included five program records at Division II Bowie State and two years as the goal-line back for the Steelers. He’s hoping this camp won’t just be an annual event while he’s in the NFL, but long after he’s played his last down.

But that shouldn’t be for a while.

“I’m nervous and excited at the same time,” Redman said. “I hope everything goes smooth and I hope a lot of kids come out and have a good time. I’m looking forward to be able to have this every year, even when I’m done playing.”

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-sports/index.ssf/2012/06/paulsboro_high_school_product_3.html

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Is Today The Last Birthday That Rashard Mendenhall Will Celebrate As A Steeler?

Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Today Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall celebrates his 25th birthday and you have to wonder if it is the last one that he will have as a member of the black and gold.

Mendenhall, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, more than likely will start the 2012 season on the PUP list as he continues to rehab the torn ACL he suffered in the regular season finale against the Cleveland Browns. Should that indeed come to fruition it means that he is guaranteed to miss at least the first six games, and likely even more. A return to the 53 man roster is more than likely to take place anywhere between week 9 and 13.

Even when Mendenhall returns, there could be a chance that he does not have a starting job to reclaim depending on how Isaac Redman performs during his absence. Regardless, the Steelers are likely to ease him back into action upon his return.

The former first round draft pick will be a restricted free agent following the season and you can bet that the Steelers will not use the franchise tag on him, even though he is surely likely to still have less than 1,000 regular season carries under his belt. That is not a lot of wear and tear on a feature back after five seasons.

You have to think that the next contract that Mendenhall receives will likely be his last though and I fully expect him to at least test free agency before taking any type of deal that the Steelers may offer him. Keep in mind that Antonio Brown will more than likely be the main focus of the Steelers next off-season, and so too could be Mike Wallace if a long-term deal is not reached prior to the start of this season.

While Redman too will be a free agent at seasons' end, he will be of the restricted variety and easily retained with tender. What level that tender will be is dependent on the type of season that he has this year.

Will Mendenhall hit a big payday in free agency though? Judging by the activity this past off-season, likely not. It also will not help the Illinois product being likely viewed by many organizations as damaged goods because of his knee injury either. Will a team still be willing to pay him though more than what the Steelers likely will offer? I think so, mostly because of his low mileage I discussed earlier.

Whether or not Mendenhall returns to the Steelers in 2013 depends all on the attention he gets in free agency. I am not willing to 100% say he could not return on a one or two year deal for near the minimum, but I really do not like odds this far out of it happening.

Happy birthday, Rashard, and make sure that wish is a good one when you blow out those candles. I would wish for a warm reception in free agency next off-season if I were you.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/is_today_the_last_birthday_that_rashard_mendenhall _will_celebrate_as_a_steeler/11045645

Hawaii 5-0
06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Fans May Miss Pittsburgh Steelers Running Back Rashard Mendenhall More than They Think

Submitted by Syndicated sources on June 21, 2012

When the season opens in 2012, there is a great possibility that two starters from the 2011 campaign will be on the PUP list for the Steelers, running back Rashard Mendenhall and nose tackle Casey Hampton. Ironically, this was to be (and is) a huge season for both players as the Steelers weigh their contract options moving into 2013.This is especially true for Mendenhall, who in the last regular season game against the Cleveland Browns, tore his right ACL on the final play of the first quarter. That injury capped a somewhat disappointing 2011 season in which he ran for 928 yards and nine touchdowns. Fortunately, for the Steelers, they appear to have depth at the running back position and do not have to rush Mendenhall in his recovery.

Even General Manager Kevin Colbert expects Mendenhall (and Hampton) to return in 2012. “My guess is they’ll open the season on the PUP,” said Colbert, “You’ve got to remember both of those injuries happen late in the year.” If this is the case, neither player will be eligible to return until after the Steelers’ sixth game (Week 8 of the NFL season).

With Mendenhall on the mend, the Steelers will rely on Isaac Redman to carry the load. While he is solid and a powerful back (not to mention a fan favorite), he does not have the pedigree of Mendenhall and may not be able to be the player fans are expecting. In fact, fans may miss Mendenhall more than they expect.

One quick glance at his enigmatic career shows some strong numbers, especially when one considers the uneven offensive line play and an offensive coordinator that refused to commit to the run. Between the 2009 and 2010 seasons, he rushed for 2,381 yards and 20 touchdowns, and also added some flash as an outlet receiver.

In many ways, it is a shame that he is injured going into 2012, as he has a skill set that mirrors what offensive coordinator Todd Haley looks for in a all-purpose back, with the size, speed and hands to develop into a solid weapon for the offense. More importantly, the former first round selection would have had one last full season to show whether he is the long-term answer in the backfield, something that remains a question mark today.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/11059301?headline=fans_may_miss_pittsburgh_steeler s_running_back_rashard_mendenhall_more_than_they_t hink&sport_name=nfl

Steelersfan87
06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
In many ways, it is a shame that he is injured going into 2012, as he has a skill set that mirrors what offensive coordinator Todd Haley looks for in a all-purpose back, with the size, speed and hands to develop into a solid weapon for the offense. More importantly, the former first round selection would have had one last full season to show whether he is the long-term answer in the backfield, something that remains a question mark today.

Well spoken here.

EbonySteel86
06-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Well spoken here.

He's the perfect back for this system. Shame!

Hawaii 5-0
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Confident Redman Ready For Larger Role With Steelers

July 9 by ProSportsDaily Staff

PITTSBURGH -- One of six former undrafted free agents who figures to open the year as a starting tailback for his franchise, Isaac Redman of the Pittsburgh Steelers is also the only member of that half-dozen lead runner subset who has yet to rush for 500 yards in a season.

Yet the third-year veteran, who almost certainly will supplant the injured Rashard Mendenhall as the Steelers' starter for the Sept. 9 opener at Denver, is confident that he can fill the bill in a revamped offense that likely will emphasize the run more in 2012 under new coordinator Todd Haley.

"Mentally, you're always ready, because you're just one (injury) away from having to be 'the guy,' you know?" said Redman, a former Bowie State (Md.) standout signed by the Steelers in 2009, after he went undrafted. "This is a little different. You have to be ready to carry maybe 20 times in a game, instead of, say, 10. The workload is something you can't ignore. But I'm looking forward to it. People are looking hard to me to step up ... and I don't intend to let anyone down."

Mendenhall tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the 2011 season finale at Cleveland, and the Steelers' leading rusher each of the past three seasons probably will begin the season on the physically unable to perform list. That would sideline Mendenhall for at least the first six weeks. Even though Mendenhall has begun light jogging, and his rehabilitation seems to be proceeding without incident, there is speculation the former first-rounder won't play at all in 2012. Pittsburgh general manager Kevin Colbert even acknowledged that anything the team gets from Mendenhall this season will be "a bonus."

The team's first-round pick in 2008, Mendenhall expects to return at some point in 2012, but conceded this spring that he can't say when. Entering the final season of his original contract, the injury places Mendenhall and the Steelers in a tough spot.

Enter Redman, who rushed for 121 yards on 17 attempts in the Steelers' wild card loss to the Broncos to end last season, but who had only one regular-season start before that. His lack of starting experience notwithstanding, Redman has adopted an Alfred E. Newman ("What, me worry?") approach to the impending pressure.

"I've never been one, not matter what other people think, to doubt myself," Redman said. "I mean, why not me, right? Other (undrafted tailbacks) have done it."

True enough, but Redman, who took the bulk of the snaps as the No. 1 tailback during the Pittsburgh minicamps and OTAs, and who appears unchallenged right now for the top perch on the depth chart, hasn't done it yet. All of the other five undrafted players projected as starters have achieved some respective degree of NFL success.

Fred Jackson (Buffalo), LeGarrette Blount (Tampa Bay), BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Cincinnati) and Arian Foster (Houston) all have 1,000-yard seasons. Foster's resume includes a rushing title. New Orleans' Pierre Thomas owns a Super Bowl ring. Green-Ellis (Cincinnati) has played in a Super Bowl.

Redman, on the other hand, has just two career starts, counting the playoff game last year. He owns only three career contests with 10 or more carries. And, after starting his career in 2009 by spending the entire season on injured reserve, Redman has just 726 yards in two seasons. The five other undrafted free agents cited previously all have at least one year with more rushing yards than Redman's career total.

What he might lack in experience and accomplishments, though, Redman possesses in self esteem. And the rest of the organization here, where the Steelers have added no veteran runners in free agency and didn't choose a tailback in the draft until the fifth round, seems to share that confidence.

"That's our guy," said center Maurkice Pouncey. Added coach Mike Tomlin at last month's mandatory minicamp: "We believe in (Redman)."

Good thing, because there isn't much behind him. The Steelers currently have four tailbacks, besides Mendenhall and Redman, on the roster. Second-year veteran Baron Batch, a seventh-round choice in 2011, spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve. This year's fifth-rounder, Chris Rainey, is regarded more as a third-down or change-of-pace back. Returning young veterans Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay have a total of 10 regular-season appearances and zero starts between them, with a combined 35 carries for 191 yards and one touchdown.

Compounding the situation is the new offense installed this spring by Haley, who is replacing longtime coordinator Bruce Arians. Redman conceded that the offense, with its new terminology, will need an acclimation period. Then there is the seeming preference of standout quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for the passing game, and the charge of Steelers' president Art Rooney II to better balance the attack in 2012.

If the urging of Rooney, that Pittsburgh improve its ground efficiency, doesn't quite qualify as a mandate from the top, it's certainly a strong suggestion. The Steelers ranked No. 14 statistically in rushing offense in 2011, had only 386 rushes by backs, and suffered problems closing out games on the ground.

Relying on a relatively untested tailback to fix all of the problems -- especially one who probably lacks Mendenhall's wiggle, and his and long speed, and was principally utilized as a short-yardage and goal line specialist in the past -- doesn't exactly sound like a ready remedy.

Except to the 230-pound Redman.

"I'm sure of myself," Redman said. "And the team, I think, is sure of me, too."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/confident_redman_ready_for_larger_role_with_steele rs/11185669

Hawaii 5-0
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Rashard Mendenhall: “My knee has healed wonderfully”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/rashard-mendenhall-pic.jpg?w=250

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall has been saying this offseason that he thinks he can play in Week 1 this season despite suffering a torn ACL in Week 17 last season, and as training camp draws near, Mendenahll isn’t changing his tune.

Mendenhall took to Twitter today to give his fans an update, saying the knee has healed.

“My knee has healed wonderfully, thanks for all the well wishes!” Mendenhall wrote.

Mendenhall likely won’t be ready to go when training camp starts for the Steelers on July 25, but if he’s ready to go when the regular season opens on September 9, that would be an impressive recovery. And wonderful news for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/13/rashard-mendenhall-my-knee-has-healed-wonderfully/

ben2hines=6
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
mendenhall was never a hard runner before this injury and i worry about him after. he seems to be able to break maybe one tackle and one tackle only as soon as he gets to the secondary its over. i like redman but as a backup. i really really really wish the steelers would go and get jonathan stewart from the panthers

Bayz101
07-13-2012, 10:53 PM
mendenhall was never a hard runner before this injury and i worry about him after. he seems to be able to break maybe one tackle and one tackle only as soon as he gets to the secondary its over. i like redman but as a backup. i really really really wish the steelers would go and get jonathan stewart from the panthers

I agree, but I won't judge him based on our previous O-Coordinator and O-line.

Steelersfan87
07-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I think Mendenhall's power is overshadowed by his proclivity to spin (which there's NOTHING wrong with; he breaks a lot of tackles with that move). He does have power, and he can fight for the tough yards. He's had a couple periods throughout his career where he seemed to be a bit hesitant, but that shouldn't define his career thus far. I don't need to bring up the o-line and playcalling issues either.

TheVet
07-14-2012, 03:38 AM
The hesitancy is much more than an occasional problem. It doesn't define his career, but it's a defining characteristic of his play at running back. It's a big limitation.

FrancoLambert
07-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Mendy's dancing and hesitancy.......it was the O-line, not him.
Bashing Mendy now is definitely in vogue.
Some people have very short memories. Go back, watch the tapes. He ran hard most of the time, he was capable of making tacklers miss and breaking arm tackles, he delivered many big plays.
Go back, watch our last run to the Bowl. Our wins over the Rats and Jets would have never happened without Mendy. I hope he comes back strong and healthy, he would be a nice weapon for Haley.