PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood's Transformation 2012

OuterLimits
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Ziggy Hood's Transformation 2012 -- Click here for more.. (http://www.outerlim.com/index.php?page=outer_limits_ziggy_hood.php)

Check back this summer for more updates on Ziggy's off-season training.

http://www.outerlim.com/images/outer_limits_sports_ziggy_hood_1.jpg

Bayz101
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Treat him well, make him eat his greens! :chuckle:

OX1947
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
That is one big boy....

Ricco Suavez
05-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Gettin chiseled too. Gotta help with the strength and speed. Good job to Ziggy and his trainers, shows a lotta of work.

TRH
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Very cool. He's definitely not being lazy and looks to be really working the gym well and eating good. I hope he has a great season, he deserves it!

steeltheone
05-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Great to see...Ziggy has been just fine but this can't help but make him better!

ricardisimo
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Photoshop alert! Not many weightroom exercises stretch your head upwards. If I'm going to look at photoshopped bodies, I look at this one:

oP7JMnIOSP0

FrancoLambert
05-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Seems like he's aware that this is a really big year for him if he wants to remain in Pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
05-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Photoshop alert! Not many weightroom exercises stretch your head upwards.]

its not a photoshop but i see exactly what youre saying. the difference of the facial hair, and hanging dreds, mixed with the shadows definitely make the neck appear longer in the 2nd picture, but it is not.

all in all the difference in weight is minimal but still very significant. i would say he has shed about 10-15 lbs in fat and converted it to 5-10 lbs of muscle.

good job eazy-e. tha boyz in da hood are always hard....

lloydwoodson
05-29-2012, 03:44 AM
He got skinnier from week 1 to week 4. That is expected because he was playing. Skinnier people look more muscular but I doubt he would have put on more than a pound of muscle in that time.

hwalker84
05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
He got skinnier from week 1 to week 4. That is expected because he was playing. Skinnier people look more muscular but I doubt he would have put on more than a pound of muscle in that time.

This isn't football week 1 - 4 this is training with these guys for 4 weeks.

Bayz101
05-29-2012, 11:15 AM
This isn't football week 1 - 4 this is training with these guys for 4 weeks.

This. It's just an off-season program. This wasn't the regular season, this is right now.

Fire Arians
05-29-2012, 11:51 AM
definitely looks more solid. hopefully that translates to the field

OuterLimits
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
all in all the difference in weight is minimal but still very significant. i would say he has shed about 10-15 lbs in fat and converted it to 5-10 lbs of muscle.

Good guess man! You're pretty close on the bodyfat.

Photos were taken 29 days apart back in March/April after training phase #1.
Bodyfat improved from 24% to 18%
Bodyweight slightly increased from 305 to 307
Approx. 18 lb of fat lost and 20 lb of muscle gained.

Ziggy's numbers are even better since April. Getting into phase #4 this week and continuing to train until July 27th. Check our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/outerlim) for updates.

Here's a video.. Explosive box jump from seated went from 43" to 50".
Click here for more Ziggy Hood training videos. (http://www.OuterLim.com)

t5beqytZ7_0

Fire Arians
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Good guess man! You're pretty close on the bodyfat.

Photos were taken 29 days apart back in March/April after training phase #1.
Bodyfat improved from 24% to 18%
Bodyweight slightly increased from 305 to 307
Approx. 18 lb of fat lost and 20 lb of muscle gained.

Ziggy's numbers are even better since April. Getting into phase #4 this week and continuing to train until July 27th. Check our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/outerlim) for updates.

Here's a video.. Explosive box jump from seated went from 43" to 50".
Click here for more Ziggy Hood training videos. (http://www.OuterLim.com)

t5beqytZ7_0

nice. you don't mind sharing his diet plan? serious question :thumbsup:

Bayz101
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
nice. you don't mind sharing his diet plan? serious question :thumbsup:

This.

OuterLimits
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.outerlim.com/images/outer_limits_sports_ziggy_hood_2.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
06-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Steelers’ Hood goes to extremes to add muscle

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, June 8, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=JVOKn o7xUxxMKUEeUw7OV8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvTnax9VXBX2iS oMUf2$1zLWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Ziggy Hood spent the early part of this offseason watching every one of the 833 snaps he played last season.

For the most part, he didn’t like what he saw.

Hood, the Steelers’ 2009 first-round pick, realized he was slow off the ball, and it was too easy to knock him off his feet.

Considering Hood said he was “feeling sluggish” and not “in tip-top shape” during the season, he knew it was time for a change.

“What better way to help my speed and help my agility but to lose body fat?” Hood said. “I play better when I feel good. When I don’t feel good, I don’t do as well as I want, and I didn’t feel good all the time last year.”

Hood called on the help of Bill Nichol, founder of Outer Limit Athletic Performance in Valencia.

With the recent birth of his second son, Hood wasn’t able to travel to his typical offseason workout venue in Atlanta. Hood needed a closer alternative and recalled a pamphlet he came for Outer Limit.

“They wore me out,” said Hood, a self-proclaimed workout warrior. “And I loved it.”

Hood saw immediate results and drastically changed his body composition.

In a four-week span in early March (during Phase I), Hood lowered his body fat from 24 to 18 percent. He lost 18 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle, going from 305 pounds to 307.

“I felt a big difference and feel great right now,” Hood said. “You feel good, you play good. You can always improve, and that was one area I would like to improve on, and that’s what I have been doing.”

Even though his workouts have dipped from five days a week during offseason practices, Phase 4 of Hood’s training will start at the end of the month and last until training camp. He plans to arrive at St. Vincent looking more like a linebacker than a defensive end.

“All that big and looking sloppy, that’s out the window,” Hood said. “We are sexy now.”

Hood has become a YouTube sensation, of sorts, with his training. Video of him jumping on top of a 50-inch box from a seated position has more than 6,000 hits in two weeks.

Although he insists he isn’t interested in heavy lifting anymore — instead he’s focused on speed and technique — there are videos of Hood deadlifting 700 pounds and pulling a 1,200-pound sled 28 yards.

“You can be big and lean and still do your job correctly,” Hood said. “That’s what I am trying to do here.”

Hood has contributed since his rookie year. He has started 16 games over the past two years, but he also had Aaron Smith as a safety net.

With Smith gone, the left defensive end spot is his.

“I feel like I took the right steps in learning while he was here,” Hood said. “But now, it is time for me to step up and do my job.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1920580-85/hood-feel-defensive-steelers-fat-pounds-307-6-4-body-muscle

VaDave
06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The conditioning is great, but the million dollar question is, can he play the game? Will this new found conditioning help him be more effective? I certainly agree with his own self assesment. He got knocked around quite a bit. and when he wasn't, he was playing a lot of patty cake with TEs and RT.....

For all of the strength and power this guy has, he hasn't shown a knack to get his body in the best position to use it well when the play starts. That is my only knock on the guy. Maybe when he gets another 800 snaps under his belt, he'll get it down.....

TheVet
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
It's great that the motivation for this change came from Ziggy's own introspection. He analyzed the situation, felt that this was what needed to be done, and then went out and did it - and he says it feels great. Very encouraging!!!!

Even though he hasn't completely blown us away, every once in awhile he shows these amazing flashes of pure athletic brilliance. Maybe we'll be seeing more of that, with 20 lbs of fat exchanged for 20 lbs of muscle.

Yet one more thing to look forward to for Steelers fans this year!

mesaSteeler
06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Hood says he added 20 pounds of muscle
June, 8, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/59451/hood-says-he-added-20-pounds-of-muscle

There was speculation that Ziggy Hood could be a candidate to play nose tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers if Casey Hampton wasn't fully recovered from a knee injury. Hood might be better suited to take over for James Farrior at inside linebacker if he keeps up his training regimen.

Hood plans to report to training camp at the end of July looking more like a linebacker than a defensive end. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Hood lowered his body fat from 24 percent to 18 percent in a four-week span in March. He also lost 18 pounds of fat and gained 20 pounds of muscle. His current weight is 307 pounds.

If you have any doubts about Hood's shape, you should take at look at the YouTube video of him jumping on top of a 50-inch box from a seated position.

“I felt a big difference and feel great right now,” Hood told the Tribune-Review. “You feel good, you play good. You can always improve, and that was one area I would like to improve on, and that’s what I have been doing.”

Hood has never began a season as a starter, but he's made 23 starts the past two seasons because of injuries to Aaron Smith. Judging by his work ethic this offseason, Hood doesn't expect to be handed the starting job this season. He seems prepared to win the competition with Cameron Heyward.

The impressive part is Hood says his training is far from over. He will start back at the end of the month and continue through the start of camp.

"All that big and looking sloppy, that’s out the window,” Hood said. “We are sexy now.”

Hawaii 5-0
06-10-2012, 11:21 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

"Ziggy Hood wears a 6-pound vest during OTAs to simulate the weight of his shoulder pads. Learned it from James Harrison a few years back"

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Hawaii 5-0
06-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Competition At Defensive End = Win For Steelers

Jun 9th, 2012 by DomSteelers

You know the saying “Competition Breeds Success”? Well, that very thing just might be happening now for the Steelers at the Defensive End position. According to ESPN’s Jamison Hensley (via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and Mark Kaboly), Defensive End Ziggy Hood has been a workout mad-man this offseason and has really dedicated himself to becoming a better player in 2012. This offseason, Hood has dropped 6% off of his body fat percentage (24% to 18%), packed on 20 lbs. of muscle, and most importantly dropped 18 lbs. of fat to sculpt his body into a rock solid 6’3” 307 lb. frame.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/4966400-300x226.jpg?e98d57

Hood’s drastic transformation could not come at a better time, as Cameron Heyward will be vying for a starting spot and extended playing time in the Steelers’ 5-Technique Rotation (Hood, Heyward, and Brett Keisel) in 2012. To me, the fact that the Steelers have three talented Defensive Ends which will be jockeying for time on the field this season is nothing short of fantastic. So today I figured would be a great opportunity to discuss my feelings on Ziggy Hood, their “go-to” 5-Technique rotation in general, and the sorts of things expected from this group this season.

In terms of playing the run, Hood’s off-season work to strengthen and streamline his body can only help him against the run. Hood’s 5-Technique position calls for him to have a 2-Gap responsibility in the run-game and at the very least hold at the point of attack if not more. While Hood has done a decent enough job against the run in the Base-sets there has still been some room for improvement. Because Hood has added strength and worked on his agility, it should help him against the double teams and man 2-Gaps better while trying to create a mess for the Linebackers to clean up in the run game.

What intrigues me the most is to see what the more athletic Ziggy can do rushing the passer. Hood in my opinion is the best 5-Technique the Steelers have in terms of pass rushing ability at the moment. That being said, if him and/or Keisel/Heyward and/or McLendon can provide a stout enough pass rush and at least push the pocket in Nickel and Dime sub-packages where only 2 of them are on the field, it will only give James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, and whichever guys are getting to the Quarterback more leeway to run free and attack.

With 23 starts and four professional seasons under his belt, Hood is what I consider to be a veteran. I am sure he knows better than anyone that he will be eligible for Free Agency in 2014 and strong showings in the next two seasons are vital for him to continue to contribute at the professional level and earn a new contract with Pittsburgh or elsewhere. Thus, 2012 and 2013 are make or break for Ziggy, and it certainly appears that he wants to take his already developing game to the “next level.”

Heyward and Keisel

Before I continue, kudos must go to Colbert and Co. when they zeroed in on a “BPA+Need” selection in the form of Heyward last April. I am sure they conversed with Defensive Line Coach John Mitchell and Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau at length and determined that Aaron Smith was likely on the tail end of one of the best and most unheralded careers of a 5-Technique Defensive End in the last two decades.

Moreover, I am sure that they saw that the addition of a player at a position of need, and where a 3rd year man like Ziggy Hood was the only experienced and significant depth was an added bonus as well. And I am sure it did not hurt that Heyward had the ideal size (6’5″ 288 lbs.), skill-set, experience in a pro-style Defense with 3-4 elements (at Ohio State), and professional attitude to play the 5-Technique with the club.

I am sure that I am one of many which are extremely excited to see what Heyward can do in Year 2 of his professional career. Cameron looked much further ahead development and scheme-wise than Hood was during his Rookie season, and that was without OTA’s and such because of last year’s lockout. While Cameron started a bit slow, big things are expected from him this season, and Hood seems to already be feeling the heat. As I discussed in the Defensive piece of my two “Breakout Players” posts from last month, Heyward is definitely somebody to keep our collective eyes on this season, and could shine as part of the 3-man rotation.

I know that I have discussed it at length before, but the biggest benefactor of all of Heyward’s continued development and Hood’s desire to step up his game is Brett Keisel. At 34, Keisel still has some solid football left in him, and he made the Pro Bowl following the 2010 campaign. But at 34, he is still getting a tad “long in the tooth” and keeping the wily veteran fresh will be a bonus for this Defense. If Mitchell and LeBeau are comfortable with Heyward and Hood together in games and subbing “The Beard” out for spells at a time, Keisel will undoubtedly be quite fresh come December and January. With a healthy “Beard” comes a happy Defensive Line and Defense as a whole come Playoff time.

Final Thoughts

I understand that these are only offseason workouts and that Hood is not actually kicking some tail out there against real live opponents yet. Nevertheless, seeing Hood’s dedication to get better and outplay his competition is something to look forward to in Training Camp. Hopefully this group can stay healthy and form a stout 3-man rotation at the position over the course of the year (4 if you count McLendon at 285 lbs. but 3 if he is at 325 lbs. and asked to man the Nose). My ultimate hope and wish is that Hood and Heyward can step up their games enough to relieve Keisel whenever he needs a breather. While “The Beard” may be one of those ostracized elderly Steelers Defenders that some in the media decry, he can still bring it. If all three can contribute regularly and at a high level, good things will happen because not only will they be making plays, but the Linebackers and Defensive Backs will be free to do their jobs and more. So as I stated previously, competition can breed success, and in my mind it could very well breed some great success along Pittsburgh’s Defensive front in 2012.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/09/competition-for-playing-time-at-5-technique-win-for-steelers/