PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood drastically improves explosiveness

OuterLimits
05-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Ziggy's explosive box jump from a seated position has improved significantly from 43" in March 2012 to 50" in May of 2012. Check back this summer for more updates on Ziggy's performance training.

Here's a video..
Click here to see more Ziggy Hood training videos. (http://www.outerlim.com)

t5beqytZ7_0

mikeyg
05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Ziggy needs to become a dominant player this year - drafted as high as he was, he needs to command double teams, free up space for LB's to make. Very excited about what he and Heyward can do in tandem this year.

California-Steel
05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
He may have improved his explosiveness some but this is more of a flexibility increase more than an explosiveness increase. To check that you need to measure his true vertical leap. Not how high his hips come up to bring his feet up.

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
He may have improved his explosiveness some but this is more of a flexibility increase more than an explosiveness increase. To check that you need to measure his true vertical leap. Not how high his hips come up to bring his feet up.

but doesn't strength training combined with increased flexibility lead to an increase in explosiveness?

Steelersfan87
05-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Either way, he's doing something! Let's keep this in mind: he may have been starting, technically for two years now, but this is the first time he's preparing in the offseason to be a starter. This is a great sign of his commitment.

tony hipchest
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Bob Labriola‏@BobLabriola

One more: Ziggy Hood wears a weighted vest under his practice jersey every day

:applaudit:

all this positive news shouldnt come as no suprise. all the veterans spoke of ziggys strong work ethic ever since he was a rookie.

lardlad
05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
That's awesome. Ziggy has way more to show IMO. Like the other post said, he and heyward are going to rock olines.

pete74
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
The Steelers cut long time veteran Aaron Smith, who had played 13 years with the team, this offseason, opening up a starting job on the defensive line. The Steelers were prepared for this day as they spent 2 first round picks on defensive linemen, Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward, in the 2009 and 2011 NFL Draft respectively, with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel getting up there in age.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Hood has the inside track on the starting job. Hood has seen a good amount of the field over the past 2 seasons with Smith hurt, but graded out as the league’s worst 3-4 defensive end last year according to ProFootballFocus. The Steelers seem to be banking on Hood, who is still young, bouncing back in 2012 in what would be his first full season as a starter. Heyward is still in the competition and would step in if Hood continues to struggle, but the Steelers obviously hope Hood can pan out and Heyward can be the starter opposite him in 2013, when Keisel, 34 in September will probably be gone

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 02:02 PM
People Underestimate Ziggy Hood’s Importance in the Steelers Defense

June 5th, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/672/081/108327548_display_image.jpg?1296157732

Steelers Defensive End takes a lot of heat for his performance in the Steelers defense. He gets compared to Aaron Smith and no one likes the fact that he does not put up the numbers that Smith put up. Hood is not Smith and nor will he ever be. Smith was the perfect 5 tech defensive end. He ate up blockers and still made his way to the QB. The man had an outstanding all around game. He is a once in a generation player. Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end of his era. You can not be mad at Hood for not being that guy.

While Hood is not Smith he has played above average as defensive end. He is just now finishing his third year in the position. He had to transition to the position and we have all heard over and over how people need 3 years to be comfortable. Hood seemed to get comfortable this season. He may have made fewer plays for the team but he also took up more blockers. He made holes for his teammates and gave them the ability to make plays. He opened up to the fact that his role is not to be the splash player.

Hood did not get to start right away. Aaron Smith was the starter at the beginning of last season. Smith while a legend was one of the reasons that the defense struggled early. Smith was being pushed all over the field. His age and his injuries held him back. Smith was not the same guy that he used to be. Smith was allowed to stay in even though he was not effective. Hood would have spent the entire year on the bench if Smith would not have been injured. The Steelers defense would have struggled right a long with him.

With Hood taking to his role different aspects of the Steelers defense improved. Hood’s strength helped the Steelers run defense improve. The Steelers were giving up 4.78 yards per carry and 119.5 yards per game with Smith in to 3.74 yards per carry and 93.25 yards per game. That is over 1 yard less per rush once Hood entered the game. That yards per game average would have given the Steelers the 3rd best rush defense in the NFL.

The Steelers also gave up 2 100 yard rushers in the first four games. In the last 12 they only gave up one. That was in a blow out win over the Rams. Stephen Jackson worked his way over 100 yards in that game. The defense really improved against the run with Hood on the field. Smith just could not hold up anymore. It was sad but it was easy to see.

Another person who can attest to Hood’s on field play was LaMarr Woodley. Woodley started off the season slow in the statistical categories. In the first four games Woodley only had 1.5 sacks. He was spending much of his time working against the run before being able to pass rush. He was covering for Smith. He was unable to play his true game. He could not really rush the passer the way he wanted to. He had to make sure it was not a run before he could head towards the QB. It caused him to struggle.

When Hood came in the game Woodley had a player that he knew could hold up against the run. It gave Woodley the ability to do what he does best. Crush the quarterback. Before his injury Woodley played 4 games with Hood. During that time Woodley had 7.5 sacks. He had at least 1.5 in each game. Woodley was a ball of fire. He was a different player when Hood was in the game. Woodley was on the way to a possible Defensive Player of the Year before he got hurt.

So while Hood may not be the best 5 tech in the league. He may not be Aaron Smith. His value is being taken for granted. Hood can play and he is doing his job. He is making it easy for others to make plays. He will continue to progress and we will be better for it.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/06/05/people-underestimate-ziggy-hoods-importance-in-the-steelers-defense/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

Fire Arians
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
^ good post, i think ziggy is way underrated. one site even labeled him as the worst 3-4 DE in the game, which shows how stupid some 'experts' are. 3-4 DE's aren't meant to blow up the stat sheet, but make the linebackers behind them able to run free. Woodley's difference in play after week 4 should have been a dead giveaway that ziggy was doing a hell of a job.

he does have big shoes to fill, aaron smith was maybe the best 3-4 DE who ever played the game. ziggy will most likely never be as good as smith in his prime, but i don't think any will. not a knock against ziggy, he will still be a damn good player for us.

pancake
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
The Steelers cut long time veteran Aaron Smith, who had played 13 years with the team, this offseason, opening up a starting job on the defensive line. The Steelers were prepared for this day as they spent 2 first round picks on defensive linemen, Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward, in the 2009 and 2011 NFL Draft respectively, with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel getting up there in age.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Hood has the inside track on the starting job. Hood has seen a good amount of the field over the past 2 seasons with Smith hurt, but graded out as the league’s worst 3-4 defensive end last year according to ProFootballFocus. The Steelers seem to be banking on Hood, who is still young, bouncing back in 2012 in what would be his first full season as a starter. Heyward is still in the competition and would step in if Hood continues to struggle, but the Steelers obviously hope Hood can pan out and Heyward can be the starter opposite him in 2013, when Keisel, 34 in September will probably be gone

Well that's not good... lol He is still young and has a strong work ethic, so maybe he can still become the player the FO saw on draft day.

Fire Arians
06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Well that's not good... lol He is still young and has a strong work ethic, so maybe he can still become the player the FO saw on draft day.

those stats are bs and only based on how many snaps he was in, and how many tackles / assists he had. it didn't factor into how the run defense improved, or how the stats for the linebackers playing behind him changed. 3-4 DE isn't designed to make stops, it's to allow the linebackers to make stops. whoever wrote that report was an idiot.

Steelersfan87
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
PFF also claims that Hood doesn't command double teams nearly as often as he needs to. And they pay attention a lot more than lay fans that don't watch games over and over again, so I'm inclined to believe that their opinion on Hood is at least partially with merit. But regardless, this is the first year that he's really training as a starter, so this in my opinion is the first year where he can be really evaluated.

Hawaii 5-0
06-08-2012, 12:29 AM
by Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
June 7, 2012

Defensive end Ziggy Hood prides himself on being the strongest player on the team, but this year he is also focusing on speed and agility, working with a personal trainer during the offseason to improve in those areas.|

“I sat back and evaluated myself after the season,” said Hood. “I found out I play better when I feel good. When I don’t feel good, I don’t play as well. I went back and watched all of the tape, saw what I did positive and negative. I thought what better way to help my speed and agility is to lose body fat so that is what I have been focusing on. When you feel sluggish, you are not in the best shape. You can be big and lean and still do the job correctly. If you feel good, you feel better.”

Hood has been wearing a six-pound weighted vest during OTAs, something he picked up his rookie year after watching James Harrison do the same thing.

“I have been doing it ever since to keep my body in shape,” said Hood. “It makes you better, faster so when you come to training camp it will make you better. It’s all about speed and technique right now. I am going to do what I do and try to stay fast.

“It’s a new prototype (of defensive linemen). All that big and looking sloppy is out the window. We come in here and we are sexy now.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pope-likes-what-he-sees-with-Steelers/6464fd70-60a5-418c-892a-0e21d6ef5f04