PDA

View Full Version : What are your HONEST expectations for this season???

MattRhys63
05-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm going for a divisional round loss, probably on the road to San Diego or something.

I just think there are only so many seasons you can let the 'old guard' carry you.
With us losing guys like Ward, Farrior, Smith etc, this side is going to need some blooding in and although I think we can do well in the future, this season might be one step too many.

So what are your thoughts?

Playoffs?
Championship game?
A trip to New Orleans?
The first pick in the 2013 draft?

:tt03:

Sharkissle29
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
I am honestly expecting us to get to the AFC Championship and possibly a Super Bowl. I think with a new offensive coordinator, this offense has a chance to become a force. I do not think our defense will miss a beat, the only question will be on defense is can we stay healthy? If we can, i think the Super Bowl is very reasonable.

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
didn't you see the ESPN AFC North Preview Special on tv?

we're gonna come in 3rd in our own division...:banging:

WVABE
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I believe the first half of the season will be a little shaky (5-3) but the second half will be much improved (7-1).

I also agree with championship or hopefully Superbowl.

( give the ball to Redman and let him to his thing)

Fire Arians
05-29-2012, 05:21 PM
11-5 and afc north champions. how far we make it into the playoffs really will depend how healthy the team is, which we can't predict

Bayz101
05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
11-5 and afc north champions. how far we make it into the playoffs really will depend how healthy the team is, which we can't predict

this.

Ricco Suavez
05-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I am hoping for playoffs with a run to another title. But honestly I have a gut feeling we take a step back this year, both on offense and defense. I just feel we are in a flux period between veterans leaving, Arians leaving, higher expectations for newer players and a new OC with a new offense. I am hoping for a smooth transition, but I fear a slow start may be too much to overcome. Couple these factors with a tough schedule and I could see us going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5 or in other words any where from a so-so team to one that could contend for a title. Hope for the best is all I can say.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I actually have very high expectations for this year's Steelers.

1) Our defense's biggest achilles heel was an inconsistent offense that often:
* put its defense in bad situations, having to defend short fields.
* was unable to convert turnovers into points.
* had trouble scoring

2) New offense that reverts back to basic football fundamentals, like blocking, running the ball efficiently, and being able to setup some play-action.
* from worst, to potentially much improved Oline (too early to be tossing around the word "elite")
* a stable of unknown, but talented running backs
* Redman!!!!
* descent offensive line + better situational playcalling + Ben/Wallace/Brown/Miller/Sanders = high-powered offense (seriously, name another offensive unit in the NFL that has as much raw talent)

3) youth movement on the defensive side of the ball

4) huge chip on the shoulder after embarassing loss to Teblow Christ and Donkeys

5) elite top five defense (actually, I fully expect to have the #1 defense again, but trying to be objective) + efficient offfense that can maintain time of possession AND put points on the board = Ring #7

================================================== ================================

An earlier poster hit it on the head-- I think we could have some struggles early on, with so many young guys assuming starting roles, but I think by mid-October, this Steelers team is going to be tearing some sh1t up.....

Millers the sh!t
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
12-4 afc championship game if we stay healthy. Tough schedule this season and I like it. I think the cards are stacked against us with the tough season, playbook changes and losing vets. But we are a resilient team and I still say we compete almost to the super bowl. Also wouldn't mind having a slow "learning season" finishing 9-7 and get a nice pick next year. Then we'll be set and going to a few super bowls in the next 5 years.

Bayz101
05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
12-4 afc championship game if we stay healthy. Tough schedule this season and I like it. I think the cards are stacked against us with the tough season, playbook changes and losing vets. But we are a resilient team and I still say we compete almost to the super bowl. Also wouldn't mind having a slow "learning season" finishing 9-7 and get a nice pick next year. Then we'll be set and going to a few super bowls in the next 5 years.

We always do great with our back against the wall. The Steelers are a SuperBowl team when doubted.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
AFC championship game (where the Steelers will encounter the usual suspects - Brady or Manning) and maybe beyond

This SI.com mock 2013 draft was interesting - note which team is predicted to pick at #31 (which would mean geting to but losing the Super Bowl)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andrew_perloff/05/01/2013.nfl.mock.draft/1.html

FrancoLambert
05-29-2012, 07:54 PM
An offensive line that can finally pull and run block.
An offensive line that won't collapse and force the QB to run for his life.
An offensive coordinator that is unpredictable and who designs plays around his talents.
An offensive coordinator who exploits an opponent's weaknesses.
A defensive line that fulfills its expectations. (Hood, Heyward)
A set of cornerbacks that provide depth and can play physical 1 on 1 press coverage.
The emergence of Sylvester and Worilds adding depth to our LB grpoup.
An explosive offense with many dangerous weapons.

Expectations or dreams? We'll find out.

ETL
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I expect us to flip a coin with the Chicago Bears for who gets the number 1 overall draft pick.

Edman
05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Counted out this season. Difficult Schedule. Coming off a bad playoff loss. I like it. It always happens. When the Steelers are counted out, or expect to lull through a "transition year", they step up to the plate. 2004 and 2007 were supposed to be "transition" years for the Steelers coming off big offseason changes and they turned out quite well (especially the former).

Since most have the Steelers left for dead in the North this year, while doing their usual fellatio of Baltimore and pimping Cincy, they're going to exceed expectations. The New Haley Offense will experience some growing pains, but they'll get it together. Ben has his best season yet and Manny Sanders breaks out. Defense will also see some of it's own growing pains with new starters and several Vets gone/on their way out.

Provided the injury bug is merciful, the 2012 Steelers win 11 games or better and win the North. What they do in the postseason is up in the air.

Millers the sh!t
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Counted out this season. Difficult Schedule. Coming off a bad playoff loss. I like it. It always happens. When the Steelers are counted out, or expect to lull through a "transition year", they step up to the plate. 2004 and 2007 were supposed to be "transition" years for the Steelers coming off big offseason changes and they turned out quite well (especially the former).

Since most have the Steelers left for dead in the North this year, while doing their usual fellatio of Baltimore and pimping Cincy, they're going to exceed expectations. The New Haley Offense will experience some growing pains, but they'll get it together. Ben has his best season yet and Manny Sanders breaks out. Defense will also see some of it's own growing pains with new starters and several Vets gone/on their way out.

Provided the injury bug is merciful, the 2012 Steelers win 11 games or better and win the North. What they do in the postseason is up in the air.

Playing a tough schedule will prepare ya for the post season. If we make it to the playoffs, I think we have a great shot of making it to the Bowl.

jjpro11
05-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Super Bowl win or bust for me. all this talk of changes is overblown imo. Farrior and Gay were the only two players who saw full playing time. Ward's role was reduced to the point of near irrelevance, and Smith had hardly played the past 3 seasons. Farrior's play had deteriorated significantly over the past couple seasons. Gay played much better last season, but we have a lot of young talent at CB and won't miss a beat. we'll miss the leadership of Farrior, Ward and Smith, but this is a veteran team filled with champions. my main concern on defense would be how Hampton holds up coming off an ACL. however that is why we drafted Ta'amu, and i have always been impressed by McLendon when given the opportunity to play.

i don't know how anyone sees the addition of Haley being anything but positive.. as far as i am concerned, his ability to play call and get the most out of the talent on offense will easily negate any missteps the players have due to the unfamiliarity with the playbook.

for the first time since 2005, we might actually have a decent offensive line. it sucks we won't have Mendenhall for 16 games and probably not at 100% when he does return, but i have faith in Redman. i think he's done enough to prove he is a capable workhorse back. let's see what he can do behind a true power runblocking Oline.

honestly speaking, this team lives and dies based on the health of Ben and Troy. as long as those guys can stay healthy, my expectations will remain high.

pete74
05-30-2012, 04:46 AM
I don't really care what our record is as long as we get into the big party. I have seen all these people count us out because of all our changs and al the tough games we have to play this year and that's key. We play better when everyone counts us out. I say we come out strong and click at the right time and end up playing for the super bowl.

Rick5895
05-30-2012, 05:16 AM
My expectations for the season are 12-4 and playing in the Super bowl.With the losses of Farrior and Ward on the leadership front, it may make things difficult early, but someone will step into the leadership on both sides of the ball. The Offense will have some issues early on but I expect they will start clicking earlier in the season rather than later.
I honestly believe that with the infusion of youth we have on both lines and the secondary we will be better off. I think our defense has an opportunity to be better than the 2008 D.
Just one guys opinion.

hwalker84
05-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Spot on IMO. I truly believe if this team goes into the playoffs healthy and stays that way we could be looking at another Super Bowl.

StainlessStill
05-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Revenge, plain and simple. I remember for the middle part of the 2000's, the Steelers were somewhat of underdogs givin' that the Pats and Colts were the NFL's rivalry with Brady & Manning duking it out at their peak and elite levels. Now, everyone has us old, slow and finished in the midst of being parked behind Baltimore and Cincinnati in the AFC NORTH.

Fact of the matter is, is that there is NONE OTHER TEAM in the NFL is as dangerous as an underdog as the Pittsburgh Steelers. I can't even count how many times since 2005 how people claimed our window of opportunity closing.

We have a very solid young nucleus on our football team and return our veteran leadership ACROSS the board. Ben, Heath, Cotchery, Troy, Clark, Ike, Foote, Keisel, Harrison, Woodley. All of these guys are still playing at a high level, bring the wise and can get these young guys to man-up.

Very early prediction, I have us 10-6, winning the AFC NORTH and possibly us representing the AFC in another Super Bowl.

As always, competing against New England as the biggest threat to the big dance. I have Baltimore at 9-7. They are due for a step back since they've been on a 3 year long run that includes 2 AFC Title losses. 2011 was their best chance at a Lombardi and they blew it wide left.

In the NFC, I have Chicago representing in New Orleans.

Steeldude
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
A lot of it depends on BR. IMO, I think he is going to struggle with the new plays. I hope I am wrong

Steelerfreak58
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
We will finally see how "intelligent" our starting QB really is and offense for that matter. They will either catch on to the "new system" quickly or it will be a painful season to watch offensively (like that is anything new) and our Defense will have to get us to the playoffs.

I think we will see some young guns step up and fill rolls nicely.

Playoffs expected.

AFC Championship (would be great).

SB (would be AWESOME but not expected this year).

TheVet
05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
This Steelers team will be better than last year, barring major injuries. I expect the defense will put in a solid performance, but the big improvements will be on offense, which will also help to relieve the ridiculous pressure on the defense.

Normally a new OC with a new system would be a highly risky proposition, but this is the exception to the rule. This team has exceptionally talented personnel, and the unit has been far below where they should be. Even if everything goes wrong, and the offense were to break down completely, we'd be back where we we've been for years - but with a much-improved OL,

STEELAMANIA
05-30-2012, 11:02 AM
With the new (unpredictable) offense in there, the Steelers win the friggin Superbowl in New Orleans. The defense really doesnt have to do anything special because the offense will bail them out. Alot of peeps are gonna regret passing up on DeCastro, and with Colon at guard too, this team will score at will.

Steelerfreak58
05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
With the new (unpredictable) offense in there, the Steelers win the friggin Superbowl in New Orleans. The defense really doesnt have to do anything special because the offense will bail them out. Alot of peeps are gonna regret passing up on DeCastro, and with Colon at guard too, this team will score at will.

WE HOPE!

steelax04
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
2-14 with both wins coming against the Browns.

Fire Arians
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM

:chuckle:

Edman
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
2003: 6-10 finish. Finish 3rd in the North.
2004: Drafting of Ben who was supposed to just the season while Maddox played it out. Ben comes in via injury, reels off 13 straight and the team goes 15-1 and goes all the way to the AFC Title game. In 2005 they win Super Bowl XL.

2006: 8-8 Finish. Cowher retires after 15 seasons. Finish 3rd in the North.
2007: Steelers pick up unknown Mike Tomlin, not expected to do anything after getting owned by Baltimore the previous season. Go 10-6, win the AFC North, and make the postseason. In 2008 they win Super Bowl XLIII.

2009: 9-7 Finish. Miss playoffs. Finish 3rd in the North.
2010: Ben undergoes sexual assault allegation casting a dark cloud over the offseason. Ben gets suspended and once again, the Steelers aren't expected to do anything in the North or anywhere. Steelers go 12-4 and made their way to Super Bowl XLV.

You would think that by now people would know better to never count out the Steelers.

Atlanta Dan
05-30-2012, 01:32 PM

I had the Browns at 16-0 :noidea:

tony hipchest
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
i expect much awesomeness.

i think that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players spence, batch, and sanders, will show enough in their limited roles to have both the fans and the coaches wondering if they should be elevated up the depth chart going into the '13 season.

i expect ziggy hood will be known league wide as an impact player.

i feel our linebacking unit will leave a path of destruction in their wake and troy will return to def MVP consideration.

i expect our cb's will have the most int's the steelers backfield has had in 10 years.

i expect bens passing numbers to drop just a bit along with sacks, fumbles, and ints. i think his td's jump to a career high and his comp % return to about 66-67%

i expect that we wont necessarilly have to run more often (unless by design dictated on specific gameplans and what the defenses give us) because we will be much more efficient and less predictable when we chose to run.

i expect a year more exciting than frustrating that ends in a deep playoff run.

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM

no matter what: :tt02:

http://www.ablazeservices.com/ibleedblackngold/steelersnewpics/cleveland_browns_still_suck.jpg

MDSteel15
05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I always have expectations of us making the Super Bowl!

TheVet
05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
OK, my real expectations: This will be an exciting team to watch, one that gets better as the year goes on. The new offense will progress steadily, and evolve to be both solid and dangerous. The Steelers will begin to win games against weaker teams with authority - none of these last-minute flip-a-coin scenarios. The Steelers will win the AFC North outright at 12-4. They'll be a balanced team with a killer instinct, one that nobody will want to meet in the playoffs.

If there aren't any serious late-season injuries to Ben or Troy, or a bunch of key players all at once, this team will make a very deep playoff run, to the AFC Conference game at minimum. And woe to the Patriots if they happen to cross paths with the Steelers in the playoffs - because the Steelers will administer a beat-down for the ages.

Fire Arians
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
OK, my real expectations: This will be an exciting team to watch, one that gets better as the year goes on. The new offense will progress steadily, and evolve to be both solid and dangerous. The Steelers will begin to win games against weaker teams with authority - none of these last-minute flip-a-coin scenarios. The Steelers will win the AFC North outright at 12-4. They'll be a balanced team with a killer instinct, one that nobody will want to meet in the playoffs.

If there aren't any serious late-season injuries to Ben or Troy, or a bunch of key players all at once, this team will make a very deep playoff run, to the AFC Conference game at minimum. And woe to the Patriots if they happen to cross paths with the Steelers in the playoffs - because the Steelers will administer a beat-down for the ages.

i hope you're right man, because that would be the shit :thumbsup:

tanda10506
05-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I agree that they will get better as the year goes on, but I don't think the start will be to rough. There are a few tough teams early but we won't be playing down to low level teams with our new offense so if we lose a tough game early it won't kill us. I think the Ravens will be taking a step back this year and we will beat them twice. They will still be a good team and we won't steam roll them, but we will beat them twice. I think the Bengals will actually be better then the Ravens this year also and may upset us one game. I think that by the end of the season we will be on a roll and the teams that sound tough at the end like the Cowboys and Chargers won't be tough for us. I do see us winning the division but due to the tougher start and the Pats easy schedule we won't be #1 seed. If we go into the playoffs healthy we will win the SB, after shutting down the Pats the way we did last year I don't see them or the Ravens (stepping back) beating us in the playoffs this year and we don't lose to the Chargers, Jets, etc. in the playoffs, last year was a fluke. If we have a few injuries though it may catch up to us in the AFC Championship game, and if we are injured like last year we won't go anywhere in the playoffs. There is a chance the offense doesn't click and we struggle, but I am 100% confident all will be well by September and we will be competing in January.

lardlad
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't really care what our record is as long as we get into the big party. I have seen all these people count us out because of all our changs and al the tough games we have to play this year and that's key. We play better when everyone counts us out. I say we come out strong and click at the right time and end up playing for the super bowl.

That's right. Only thing that matters is how you play in january. 9-7 8-8 10-6... Just make it to the playoffs. How many 6 seeds have won now since we did it in XL.

lardlad
05-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree that they will get better as the year goes on, but I don't think the start will be to rough..

I don't think it will be a rough start either. I think Haley will have a bit of the element of surprise on his side. It sounds like a very different offense, so there isn't as much "tape" to prepare from. After that wears off and exposes the learning curve for some of the players, they'll stumble a bit, but get back on track.

Just get to the playoffs.

lardlad
05-30-2012, 08:05 PM

That is one thing that needs to be done is beat the taperiots in PS. I was hoping to play them last year rather than Denver. NE is just not scary anymore.

NSMaster56
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Improved offense.

Standard strong defense.

Playoffs for sure.

SB... why not?

austinfrench76
06-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Bowl.

GMU Steeler
06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Honestly why not SB. We need to stay healthy. And as tough as that loss against Denver was last year, we still nearly won despite having all those injuries plus Clark being out due to his Sickle Cell trait. I also think the offense will be more efficient with the addition of Haley and the draft helped that too. Even with our struggles last year, we still finished technically only one behind the Ravens for the division. It's true they swept us last year but you know that probably gives some extra incentive to beat them twice this year.

Edman
06-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Even with our struggles last year, we still finished technically only one behind the Ravens for the division. It's true they swept us last year but you know that probably gives some extra incentive to beat them twice this year.

It doesn't even seem so much anymore when you realize they exhausted all of their effort last season just to beating the Steelers. Pittsburgh is the Ravens' Super Bowl. They still cannot answer for the fact they haven't won anything of note in a decade and we ended their season on three seperate occasions.

Beating the Ravens is not the goal. It's SB or bust.

pete74
06-02-2012, 04:38 AM
It doesn't even seem so much anymore when you realize they exhausted all of their effort last season just to beating the Steelers. Pittsburgh is the Ravens' Super Bowl. They still cannot answer for the fact they haven't won anything of note in a decade and we ended their season on three seperate occasions.

Beating the Ravens is not the goal. It's SB or bust.

how do you figure that? they stayed strong all year and were one drop away from making it to the super bowl while we were knocked out round 1 by possibly the worst team to ever make the playoffs

steelfury02
06-02-2012, 05:31 AM
I see a trip to the Super Bowl because every single talking head and everyone else outside of Steeler Nation doesn't think this team is better than 3rd place . . .it really, REALLY makes me mad. I know at the professional level you shouldn't need any extra motivation but I would bet at some point, behind closed doors, this is a rallying cry for our team.

I'm actually more frightened of the potential of playing an equally, if not more p'od Saints team in the Super Bowl - and in their house to boot - THAT would be a nightmare