PDA

View Full Version : Taylor: Wallace frustrated with contract status

mesaSteeler
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Taylor: Wallace frustrated with contract status
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1879654-85/wallace-taylor-wants-mike-contract-million-steelers-agent-football-free
By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 7:22 p.m.
Updated less than a minute ago

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace hasn’t spoken publicly about his contract situation in the past four months.

The same can’t be said about cornerback Ike Taylor after spending the Memorial Day weekend in Las Vegas with his teammate.

Taylor said during his weekly show on TribLive Radio today that Wallace is frustrated with contract negotiations and he wants to be at offseason practices but also wants what he believes he is due.

“There is a lot of frustration with Mike right now,” Taylor said. “He wants to be here. ... But at the same time he wants his paper.

“Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel.”

Wallace has yet to sign his first-round restricted free agent tender that would guarantee him a $2.16 million raise for this season, bringing his salary to $2.742 million. He missed the fourth consecutive voluntary practice yesterday and isn’t expected to attend offseason workouts, including mandatory minicamp next month.

Wallace could not be reached for comment.

Taylor said he told Wallace he would like to see him show up at the practice facility mostly because new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system is being installed.

Wallace is seeking a long-term extension. He reportedly was looking for Larry Fitzgerald-type money — $120 million over eight years.

Wallace has until June 15 to sign his tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to 110 percent of his $580,000 salary last year. Wallace also could hold out until Nov. 12 and still be credited with an accrued season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year.

“Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come,” Taylor said. “(But I told him), at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

Mark Kaboly is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at mkaboly@tribweb.com.

TRH
05-29-2012, 07:54 PM
WHAT IS WITH this new term "he's outperformed his contract"???!!!! There isn't even such a thing in existence. I've heard this phrase used over and over and over in the last couple years and its starting to get REALLY nauseating.

Just start running the *#!& offense without him....then let him show late and have his production (and his bigger payday) reduced.
And Ike is right. Football doesn't need him. Everyone's replaceable.

Steelersfan87
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
“Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come,” Taylor said.

I'd rather take this out of the article than all of the rest of the mumbo jumbo that fans don't need to know anything about. This is the only part that really matters at the end of the day.

OX1947
05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
HEY MIKE, you arent getting Fitzgerald money. And if anyone was dumb enough to do so, wont be winning a title. Tying 1/6th of the teams cap on a wide receiver isnt only stupid but VERY stupid.

Atlanta Dan
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Wallace didn't "outperform his contract" the second half of last season

IMO the Steelers will sign Antonio Brown and Wallace walks

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2012, 09:06 PM
WHAT IS WITH this new term "he's outperformed his contract"???!!!! There isn't even such a thing in existence. I've heard this phrase used over and over and over in the last couple years and its starting to get REALLY nauseating.

Just start running the *#!& offense without him....then let him show late and have his production (and his bigger payday) reduced.
And Ike is right. Football doesn't need him. Everyone's replaceable.
agreed...i'd like to see an owner run his yap to the media about getting some money back from a player that "under performed" on his contract. :chuckle:

they should have changed the CBA when it comes to hold outs. players shouldn't get credit for a full season by showing up for only half a season.

cbrunn
05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
lol fans are so fickle ...

if Pitt had money Wallace would already be signed ... simple as that ... as much as maybe some of you would hate it ... they will sign Wallace when they have money ...

and he did out perform his contract ... every year ...and never complained about it ... except now when he wants some compensation ...

now lets imagine he showed up to OTA which are voluntary ... and did Nicks and broke his foot... well then his season is down the drain and so is his money ...oh but that would be OK wouldn't it be??????

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2012, 09:21 PM

if Pitt had money Wallace would already be signed ... simple as that ... as much as maybe some of you would hate it ... they will sign Wallace when they have money ...

and he did out perform his contract ... every year ...and never complained about it ... except now when he wants some compensation ...

now lets imagine he showed up to OTA which are voluntary ... and did Nicks and broke his foot... well then his season is down the drain and so is his money ...oh but that would be OK wouldn't it be??????
he'd be collecting his 2.7 million dollar tender had he signed it...:popcorn:

cbrunn
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
he'd be collecting his 2.7 million dollar tender had he signed it...:popcorn:

but what about years after that ??? ... he'll have to sign another small contract ... then wait until that one is up to get another good one, which he deserves

TheVet
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Some players overperform their contract, and then some underperform. That's just the way things work out. It's not as if the Steelers can go get a refund from Sweed to give it to Wallace. A contract is a contract.

Having said that, this deal will get done at a fair price if Wallace gets off this "Fitzgerald money" thing. Wallace has lots of upside, but he also has areas for improvement. He needs to take the next step this year. He needs that more than the Steelers do.

steeltheone
05-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Yes he does need to improve in areas, like his games when it counts

Wallace ....16 catches 141 yards 1 td in 4 playoff games ( 1 SB )

Sean95m
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey Mike don't end up like T.O and get cut by a minor league football team down the road.

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Ike Taylor Tells Mike Wallace That Football Doesn’t Need Him, He Needs Football

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers second OTA session of the 2012 season started on Tuesday and once again restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace remains unsigned and away from the team. Cornerback Ike Taylor was with Wallace this past weekend out in Las Vegas and passed along word during his weekly show on Trib Live Radio Tuesday that Wallace wants to be with his teammates in Pittsburgh right now and is frustrated that he can't be.

Taylor told host John Harris Tuesday during the Ike Taylor Show, "Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel." Taylor opened up by saying that Wallace told him that he has more yards than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss did in their first three years in the league. Taylor told Wallace that he couldn't really argue with that but he told the Steelers third year receiver, "Mike, you know, we do need you and we would love to have you at least in the building. You don't have to do nothing because its voluntary, but just your presence being around, you know, it could help or might speed up the process." Taylor also added, "I know there's a lot of frustration with Mike seeing a lot of guys getting signed to a big contracts." Taylor let Wallace know that at the rate he is going that he could wind up getting two more contracts and that right now he might consider showing a little good faith to the Steelers. Taylor did say however that he understands the situation that Wallace is in as he has been in that same position before, but that he himself really had to come back down because this isn't going to last too long, meaning playing professional football for a living. Taylor said he told Wallace, "Football don't need you; you need football."

Taylor admitted that if the Steelers still had the same offensive coordinator that it might not be a big deal, but with Todd Haley now taking over for the jettisoned Bruce Arians, Taylor wants Wallace here now to learn the offense. Taylor reiterated to Harris that Wallace is frustrated and wants to be with his teammates though. Wallace reportedly told Taylor, "I miss being around you boys. I want to be around you boys, but at the same time I want my paper." Taylor said he can't argue with Wallace on that.

If anyone could talk to Wallace about dealing with Steelers contractually, it is Taylor, who just recently signed his third one just last offseason as an unrestricted free agent. Taylor knows deep down inside that Wallace will not likely see a new contract until he signs his one-year tender and reports. The Steelers have a long history of dealing with players who hold-out and they will not let Wallace dictate to them what will happen by holding out. You have to know that Taylor got that point across to Wallace while the two were together in Vegas. Wallace has no chance at getting Larry Fitzgerald money, if indeed that is what he is asking for, and he needs to accept that despite outperforming Rice and Moss through their first three seasons in the league, he will only get want the Steelers deem is fair, and that number is likely way off the one Wallace and his agent Bus Cook currently have in both of their heads.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said just last week that Wallace and he had good conversations when Wallace was in town prior to the first OTA session getting underway. Tomlin also labeled the Wallace absence a "short-term misery" in addition. Taylor said on Tuesday that Wallace is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come. That might take a while to happen though in my opinion. Wallace needs to sign his tender and report first and we will have to wait until he perhaps realizes what Taylor told him is correct, and that is that football doesn't need Wallace, Wallace needs football.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/ike-taylor-tells-mike-wallace-that-football-doesnt-need-him-he-needs-football/

TRH
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM

there's also this little thing the team has to deal with (you might have heard of it...), called a salary cap.

Kingmagyar
05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I just believe with a gut instinct that the Steelers would regret giving Mike Wallace an outrageous contract. If Wallace was making 10 million a year last year, what would your opinion of him been during the 2nd half of last season or in that playoff game?

Wallace's true market value is set by guys like Santonio Holmes who makes 10 mil per. But then Wallace is in fact better then him so his market is actually higher then that.

The Steelers should not rush into anything with Wallace this year knowing they can franchise him next year and begin negotiations again following the season. If he becomes what he thinks he is and shows it on the field, then franchise him and work out a long term deal if you can. If he has a average year or disappears in games, especially playoff games, let him walk. But the one absolute through this all is don't sign him this summer.

Mike Wallace and his agent's mindset of worth combined with the Steelers knowing they have that franchise tag and can take a wait and see approach should in fact logically lead to no signing this summer of Mike Wallace. And then the drama will continue as to if he will be franchised or not.

Steelerfreak58
05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
He is walking a very fine line. If he doesn't get in there and learn the new "system" he will be directly impacting his ability to perform well which will limit his offers from teams if he has a poor showing this season. Seems like he should sign the damned tender get in learn the system play his @ss off this season and earn "Fitzgerald" money.

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
wallace put up 800 of his 1200 yds in the first 8 games. so we got 8 games from a top 5 receiver who would be deserving of 10+ mill a year , and 8 games from a top 50 receiver who would barely be deserving of his 2.7 mill tender.
before anyone counters with bu...bu...but double teams ... ask yourself if fitz , johnson , or any other top receivers get doubled and still produce big games.
i don't expect 8 rec , 100+ yd games every week , but i also don't expect 2 rec , 17 yd games from a receiver who thinks himself elite.

Steelerfreak58
05-30-2012, 11:03 AM
wallace put up 800 of his 1200 yds in the first 8 games. so we got 8 games from a top 5 receiver who would be deserving of 10+ mill a year , and 8 games from a top 50 receiver who would barely be deserving of his 2.7 mill tender.
before anyone counters with bu...bu...but double teams ... ask yourself if fitz , johnson , or any other top receivers get doubled and still produce big games.
i don't expect 8 rec , 100+ yd games every week , but i also don't expect 2 rec , 17 yd games from a receiver who thinks himself elite.

Well said Sir.

MasterOfPuppets
05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Well said Sir.
thank you sir..:hatsoff:

i'd also like to add , i'm taking the X factor (arians offense) into consideration. it could be that the super genius and his predictability could have played a part in wallaces decline. running the same post pattern 25 times a game could hamper ones ability to get open. i'd still like to see more versatility and consistency from him before backing the money truck up to him.

6RingsAndCounting
05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I took a little leave of absence... But my thought process on this is simple..
Mike Wallace, go F@*k yourself

cbrunn
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
i said it if it wasn't for salary cap ... did you read the post ???

and let me start by saying yes i think he should just sign his tender and show up at least to mandatory workouts, because he knows that Pitt wants him long term but they just don't have the money at this moment...BUT

puppets ... of course he's not getting Fitz Money ... this is obvious ... he knows this the Steelers know this ...everybody knows this ... he said that because he wants to remain in Pitt...because anybody could of offered him a contract and Pitt wouldn't have been able to match , at least that's what I think of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion

and yes he Demanded a double team...and nobody is trying to compare him to a Fitz or the Johnson's, where ever you got that from is stupid , and i hope it's not cause his contract he said he wants, i explained what i think that was about earlier in my post ... but do you also know when they started doing that to Mike that's when the fan favorite Brown exploded right???? ... Wallace opens up the field plain and simple and that's worth more then 2.7 mill ... yes his stats went down and had some drops ... but he opens up the field for other receivers to work ...

i absolutely dare any D coordinator to not give help over top of Wallace

Brown without Wallace doesn't come close to coming on late last year like he did ... at least that's my opinion ... they compliment each other perfect and need to both be in Pitt long term

and lets not forget these are VOLUNTARY workouts ... yes I agree he should be there, but they are voluntary ...when he starts missing MANDATORY workouts that's when i'll start to worry ...

OX1947
05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey Mike don't end up like T.O and get cut by a minor league football team down the road.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tooooooo sooooon?!

4xSBChamps
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
John Steigerwald at 12:28 this afternoon, on Wallace comparing himself to Rice or Fitzgerald, via TribLiveSports

"... he (Wallace) is full of sh!t..."

wera176
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
He is walking a very fine line. If he doesn't get in there and learn the new "system" he will be directly impacting his ability to perform well which will limit his offers from teams if he has a poor showing this season. Seems like he should sign the damned tender get in learn the system play his @ss off this season and earn "Fitzgerald" money.

^ This * 100

Regarding Wallaces drop off the 2nd half of the season, without the benefit of knowing what play was in effect and without the benefit of the film, we don't really know how good he was doing. Ben being hurt definitely hurt the long game too, I'd imagine, and iirc Brown came alive the 2nd half. Were teams paying that much more attention to Wallace, was he a decoy more than we realize/know? Or did he just suck? :noidea:

:chuckle:

I know we are better with him than without him, and with Ben (hopefully) having more time and (just maybe) a good ground game than leads to an effective play-action, a weapon like Wallace could be even more dangerous...

Fire Arians
05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
start sanders over him already, seriously. the nfl doesn't need wallace, and the steelers don't either. i was for signing him, but now I hope he walks like plax and santonio did. I'd rather have hard workers with team-first attitudes like sanders and brown rather than drama queens

i really think ben holding on to the ball is because he's waiting for wallace to break free. take that away and he's more likely to play along with haley's offense

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-30-2012, 01:41 PM
and yes he Demanded a double team...and nobody is trying to compare him to a Fitz or the Johnson's, where ever you got that from is stupid , and i hope it's not cause his contract he said he wants, i explained what i think that was about earlier in my post ...

Then please explain again, because WALLACE is the one comparing himself to Fitz and Johnson. Think before you start calling other posters "stupid".

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Brown without Wallace doesn't come close to coming on late last year like he did ...

Puh-lease. Brown had "playmaker" written all over him since day 1, Wallace or no Wallace. He scored a TD on his very first time touching the pigskin professionally in the NFL and hasn't stopped since that first touch.

The Steelers offense has thrived in the past before without having the fastest receiver in the NFL, and I think they can manage pretty well right now too.

TRH
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Wallace should sign the tender....get his dead a** in here and start practicing the new playbook.....then if he's as good as he and his agent thinks he is, he can then test the free agent waters after the seasons over.
I agree with the post above. He's walking a very fine line and could end up contradicting himself and affecting the offers he may get after the season.

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Ike Taylor Says Mike Wallace is Frustrated With Contract, Steelers

May 30, 2012
By Mike Kerns

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/134856933_crop_650x440.jpg

With the Pittsburgh Steelers enduring salary cap hell this offseason that saw them have to resort to cutting several valued and well-respected players, one of the biggest stories of free agency was what they would do if a team offered Mike Wallace a contract in return for the first round tender Pittsburgh placed on him.

If a team had front-loaded a deal for the breakout wide receiver, the Steelers would have been in real trouble trying to find a way to keep him in the black and gold. Long story short, no team took such a risk. But if cornerback Ike Taylor is to be believed, Wallace would have preferred it if someone had.

While Wallace himself has been quiet for months about the status of his current contract, Taylor told radio listeners on Tuesday that there is quite a bit of frustration going on with the situation right now.

“He wants to be here. … But at the same time he wants his paper. Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel. Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come. But I told him, at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

Wise words from a guy who kept his mouth shut and was rewarded by the Steelers front office for his play on the field, not his comments off of it. To be fair, Wallace has yet to make his disgruntled feelings public, so it would be wrong to call him greedy. The fact is that a lot of players outperform their rookie deals. Look at Arian Foster in Houston; he was probably the lowest paid player to his production in NFL history the past two seasons. But he handled it like a professional and he got paid. That’s what a contract agreement is.

The Steelers undoubtedly want to keep Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future. Since becoming a full-time starter in 2010, he has eclipsed 2,450 receiving yards with 18 touchdowns on 132 receptions. That’s big time numbers, especially from a guy on his rookie contract. So what’s the hold up?

Reportedly, Wallace is said to be looking for “Larry Fitzgerald money.” When I hear stuff like that, it just makes me laugh. Do you know how long Larry Fitzgerald had to wait before he got Larry Fitzgerald money? You don’t just decide overnight that you deserve the same kind of coin that arguably the best receiver in the league is making after a couple of good seasons. He’s been great, but 120 million over eight years…that’s quite a stretch and you may be overvaluing yourself just a teeny tiny bit.

Wallace has until June 15 to sign his tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to 110 percent of his $580,000 salary last year. Wallace also could hold out until Nov. 12 and still be credited with an accrued season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year. But players usually hold out until they know they might miss that first game check.

He’ll be there and he’ll be rewarded in due time. But, as much as I hate to crush your dreams, Wallace, you won’t even sniff Larry Fitzgerald type money this year.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ike_taylor_says_mike_wallace_is_frustrated_with_co ntract_steelers/10903826

Bayz101
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Cry me a river.

Bayz101
05-30-2012, 03:38 PM
He's making more with his rookie contract than i'll ever make in my entire life.

Ricco Suavez
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
I have said all along the Steelers will not overpay a wideout. Wallace is scary good at times, at other times not so much. To think he should command top 5 money at his position is a little far fetched, but to expect him to play at what the Steelers have offered is not right either. He is worth more than what the Steelers have offered, and if not for the loss of a first round pick he would of been signed already to another team.

Now the reality is Wallace has no leverage at this moment. He can take this years pay hike and then he will be an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, of course the Steelers can franchise him then. I feel this would be his best bet to show up, learn the system, work hard, have a great season and either work out some kind of long term deal with the Steelers or really be one of the 3 best at his position.

I have no problem with players trying to get the best deal possible, their earning period can be brief, so get it while they can. Its just sometimes the rules of the game do not favor the player, although the players signed off on these rules. Sometimes a person just has too high of an opinion of themselves and price themselves out of a job. Either Wallace or his agent have illusions of grandeur that are not realistic, at least not with the Steelers current cap.

Hawaii 5-0
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I have said all along the Steelers will not overpay a wideout. Wallace is scary good at times, at other times not so much. To think he should command top 5 money at his position is a little far fetched, but to expect him to play at what the Steelers have offered is not right either. He is worth more than what the Steelers have offered, and if not for the loss of a first round pick he would of been signed already to another team.

Now the reality is Wallace has no leverage at this moment. He can take this years pay hike and then he will be an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, of course the Steelers can franchise him then. I feel this would be his best bet to show up, learn the system, work hard, have a great season and either work out some kind of long term deal with the Steelers or really be one of the 3 best at his position.

I have no problem with players trying to get the best deal possible, their earning period can be brief, so get it while they can. Its just sometimes the rules of the game do not favor the player, although the players signed off on these rules. Sometimes a person just has too high of an opinion of themselves and price themselves out of a job. Either Wallace or his agent have illusions of grandeur that are not realistic, at least not with the Steelers current cap.

great post $$$$

cbrunn
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
lol riddle did you read my post or just parts of it ??? when did he say he was compared to them...besides the money ...and i explained what i think he meant by that statement...

but anyway i'm not going to argue it is what it is ...

i will say this though on a final note... THANK GOODNESS YOU FANS AREN'T THE GM ...

cbrunn
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
He's making more with his rookie contract than i'll ever make in my entire life.

lol this is highly irrelevant ... and i doubt that's true ... if you work from 25-60 ... that's 35 years at 30k a year ... thats 1,050,000

don't try to compare your life with the NFL business it's highly irrelevant

FrancoLambert
05-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm getting sick of his attitude. Right now the Steelers have the upper hand and that's the way his fortune and luck played out this time.
His contract, his timing, his seniority, played right into the Steelers hands.
Tough, deal with it. Stop the bitching and moaning. Knock off the "Poor me" attitude.
Put up monster numbers and the big contract will be there and maybe it won't be with the Steelers.
Someone should remind Wallace that life really isn't fair. Maybe he should take a stroll down the pediatric wing of a children's hospital to realize the big picture.

cbrunn
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
for all of you that think he's a cancer and bad attitude listen to E. Sanders

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/OTAs---Day-4/cbb4064f-c5f5-4746-866e-72e092a167cf#?id=b419649e-718c-4f2a-96d6-11304703bbd4&channelName=Recent ... starts around 55 seconds ...

fans catch feelings over the business side

*edit* ... that link takes you to the OTA...but the interview is the day in a life of E. Sanders part 4 ...it's on page 2

steeltheone
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I dont think he is cancer.......But i dont think he is good enough to miss camp either!!!

Steelersfan87
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
It's so easy for the fanbase to turn against the player. This thread proves that, if nothing else.

Hawaii 5-0
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Ike Says Mike Is Frustrated

Posted on May 30, 2012 by ryan

Somewhere, I’m on record as saying that I don’t care if Mike Wallace sits comfortably on his couch this summer because he wants more money. My only issue with that strategy is that unlike previous offseasons, the Steelers have a new coordinator.

And to hear Ben tell it, Todd Haley’s offense is, well, frustrating. So it stands to reason that Wallace would have a better chance of learning it if he were on the premises instead of taking mental reps from home. So that’s my only reservation, although it’s sort of a big one.

On Tuesday, during his TribLive show, Ike Taylor recounted his conversation with Wallace from the Memorial Day weekend. “There is a lot of frustration with Mike right now,” Taylor said via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review‘s Mark Kaboly. “He wants to be here. … But at the same time he wants his paper. Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel.”

Again, I get where Wallace is coming from but Ike is spot on: even if Kevin Colbert says the organization wants to lock Wallace up long term, the Steelers have all the leverage. I actually tried to convince myself this spring that I’d be willing to swap Wallace for a first-round pick but there weren’t any restricted free-agent offers made (leverage advantage: Pittsburgh).

So here we are. Wallace has two weeks to sign his tender or the Steelers could reduce his 2012 salary from $2.7 million to $577,000 (I’m guessing they won’t). And then there will be just six weeks until training camp. I’m guessing Wallace will be there (as do Ike and Antonio Brown) and if he plays well next season nobody will remember this. If he struggles … yeah, we know how that movie ends, too.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/05/ike-taylor-mike-wallace-contract-frustrate/

Hawaii 5-0
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe Wallace really does Want “Fitzgerald Money”

Posted In Steelers Player News,Steelers Rumor Mill
June 2, 2012

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/londoncreative/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/439x.jpg&w=560&zc=1&h=300

There has been a lot made about the rumor that Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace is asking for “Larry Fitzgerald Money” in negotiations with the team. The immediate reaction was that Wallace was referencing Fitzgerald’s 8 year $128 million contract. However, perhaps, and this is assuming that this rumor holds any truth whatsoever, Wallace was referencing Fitzgerald’s first contract extension.

At the end of Fitzgerald’s rookie contract the Cardinals signed him to a four year extension at $10 million per year. This contact included $30 million guaranteed and a $15 million signing bonus. With Desean Jackson, wide receiver of the Philadelphia Eagles, signing a 5 year $50 million deal earlier this offseason it would seem fair that Wallace would land a similar deal. Most Steelers fans would also, in all likelihood, agree that fair market value for Wallace would be in the range of $10 million per year.

If you compare Wallace’s first three season to Fitzgerald’s first three there are many similarities:

Fitzgerald (2004-06) – 230 receptions, 3,135 yards, 24 TDs, 13.6 ypc

Wallace (2009-11) – 171 receptions, 3,206 yards, 24 TDs, 18.7 ypc

However, Fitzgerald had an average yearly salary of $10 million for his first seven years in the league. It wasn’t until last offseason, when Fitzgerald inked his big money deal at an average salary of over $16 million per year, that he surpassed that number. Also, it is much harder for an NFL receiver to show the level of production that Wallace has shown in his first three seasons for seven seasons.

In a pass happy league some teams have shown a willingness to offer, even average wide receivers, big time contracts to put more weapons around their quarterbacks. Pittsburgh, however, is not likely to be shelling out the big bucks to keep Wallace around. Any deal over $10 million is out of the question and even that may be well over what the Steelers have in mind. Also, with wide receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders slated to become free agents after the 2012 season the Steelers will have to be smart with how they spend their money.

One thing is certain, though, Wallace will be a Steeler in 2012. It is the seasons beyond 2012 that are in question.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/maybe_wallace_really_does_want_fitzgerald_money/10926587

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Mike Wallace: What’s Your Advice For Steelers Receiver?

Jun 2nd, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/lasvegassign.jpeg?e98d57

Steelers cornerback, and good friend of Mike Wallace, Ike Taylor spent Memorial Day weekend with his speedster buddy in the place that makes the most sense – Las Vegas. Ok, so it makes close to no sense to spend a weekend iconic for the ‘beginning of summer’ with grilling, picnics, and pool openings in a desert city known for bright lights, hookers, and wedding chapels. It does make plenty of sense, however, that Mike Wallace is there as a continuation of the gambling spree he’s been on for the past four months.

Four months. That’s how long Wallace’s contract ‘negotiations’ have been in the works with the Steelers. As a restricted free agent, his options are… well… restricted. And, it’s something that Wallace can’t really seem to get a full grasp of as day after day, week after week, and month after month have gone by with no fresh ink on the dotted line from the Steelers or any other team. His own misconceptions about himself are borderline mental – you are not the face of the Steelers franchise (nor will you ever be) and you have yet to put up the head turning numbers in enough seasons to ask for a team to make you their golden boy. So how much then do you think you are worth?

For Mike Wallace, sometimes ya gotta roll the hard six. In case you are wondering, rolling a hard six is about a 3% chance in Craps. Those are better odds than Wallace has at getting his big pay day with the Steelers this season. But he just doesn’t understand the Steelers organization if he thinks he’s the one to break down over 75 years of tradition on how to run an organization. If he doesn’t soon realize that, his career could implode faster than the Stardust that once glittered on The Strip.

Wallace says he’s upset and frustrated according to Taylor. Well, so is the rest of the Steelers and Steeler Nation, dude.

My advice to our little Sky Masterson – sign the tender. Show your loyalty to the team first (it worked for Hines Ward who is not the same athlete as you are). Show you can prove your worth on the field for the next season or two so that you can get those big dollar signs. You are going into a new offense with the rest of the team. If you don’t fit – there’s no sense in keeping you. Show that not only you can fit, but you can be a key player in how this offense produces. If you really want the dough (with or without the Steelers), you’ve got to show you can do it all as a receiver. THEN you’ll get your money. Then, we can all say you deserve it too.

Ike Taylor told Wallace, while they were seeing the Blue Man Group (at least I’d like to think that’s what they were in Vegas for), “[I told him], at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.” Bingo. Ike’s a smart guy. He knows that at the end of the day a team will look for a better priced guy who can still contribute to the team. The market is too saturated for a guy like Wallace to get his big pay day… yet.

If you had advice for Mike Wallace, what would it be?

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/02/mike-wallace-whats-your-advice-for-steelers-receiver/

4xSBChamps
06-03-2012, 05:47 AM
His own misconceptions about himself are borderline mental

:thumbsup:

EbonySteel86
06-03-2012, 09:55 PM
First we don't need Plax, then Holmes, then Ward, now Wallace. If you ask me, the Steelers are the ones that keep throwing the dice.

zcoop
06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
First we don't need Plax, then Holmes, then Ward, now Wallace. If you ask me, the Steelers are the ones that keep throwing the dice.

Stay tuned, when Brown reaches his potential and his stock goes up, he'll join that list. Some things never change here.

Black N' Yellow
06-03-2012, 11:38 PM

Ward's a different story than Plax and Holmes. He was at the tail end of his career and not producing enough while the Steelers couldn't afford Burress and Ward and Holmes was a druggie and wasn't working out.

I wouldn't compare Wallace/Ward with the other two.

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Harris: Injury risk clouds Wallace’s status

By the Tribune-Review
Published: Tuesday, June 5, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=4BaD7 zN9GFIELalIQM6ffM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuChIQ2X7C8fWJ ke$HBDweCWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Former Steelers tackle Marvel Smith wants a mulligan. So does New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks.

No way Smith, knowing what he does now, would play 12 games with a herniated disc as he did in 2007.

And no way Nicks, who starred in Super Bowl XLVI, believes that attending voluntary workouts is worth being sidelined a minimum of 12 weeks after he recently suffered a broken bone in his foot running a route during individual drills.

If restricted free-agent receiver Mike Wallace is paying attention, no way he shows up at the Steelers’ facility until he signs his free-agent tender for 2012 or signs a new long-term contract.

What if Wallace injures himself like Nicks did during voluntary workouts? Will the Steelers still sign him to a new deal? Will they insist he rehabilitate his injury first?

I interviewed Smith for an article about NFL back injuries that appeared in Sunday’s Tribune-Review. Most telling for me was how Smith, once the ultimate team player, now tells players to put their own needs ahead of the team’s.

What, I asked Smith, caused him to change his mind?

“When you’re playing, you don’t really reflect on what you’re going through,’’ said Smith, a nine-year veteran who retired following the 2008 season.

“The pain I walk around with on a daily basis, the average person wouldn’t deal with that at all. I don’t take painkillers (anymore). I did enough of that when I was playing.’’

The NFL is based on peer pressure. In the NFL, team play is valued over the individual.

Peer pressure results in players playing despite having a serious injury like a herniated disc. It encourages players to participate in voluntary workouts they’re not required to attend contractually.

Peer pressure is why Wallace is the only healthy player who hasn’t attended any of the Steelers’ voluntary workouts.

Peer pressure led players such as Nicks and New York Jets rookie receiver Jordan White to attend their team’s voluntary workouts.

Fortunately for Nicks, he’s under contract. White, however, is a seventh-round draft pick who attended voluntary workouts without a contract. Will the Jets still sign White since he participated in voluntary workouts without a contract? Good faith, you know.

More to the point, will the Steelers hold it against Wallace if he remains a no-show for voluntary workouts, which conclude this week?

Wallace has until June 15 to sign his free-agent tender of $2.742 million. The Steelers can reduce their offer after that date.

That’s a lot of money to play football, Steelers fans will tell you. Wallace should be grateful the Steelers are willing to pay him nearly $3 million to play a sport fans would play for free, the chatter goes.

Wallace must play to get paid. But he can’t play without a contract.

The Steelers want Wallace to show good faith and report so the two sides can negotiate a deal.

In his first three NFL seasons, Wallace averaged more yards per catch than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss did in their first three years. He wants to be paid like one of the top receivers in football.

Players are paid for their performance. Wallace doesn’t have to attend voluntary workouts to prove his worth. But if he reports without a contract, what’s to prevent him from becoming another Hakeem Nicks, who took one for the team but ended up taking one in the foot?

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1912992-85/wallace-steelers-voluntary-workouts-contract-nicks-smith-players-team-free

tony hipchest
06-05-2012, 02:11 AM
wallace would be an idiot to join the team before he has to.

he will join as late as possible and the ball distribution in the upcoming season will probably paint him and brown as equal value with sanders as a viable replacement for either.

Rick5895
06-05-2012, 04:31 AM
This is all much ado about nothing. We will have Wallace for the upcoming season. He will sign his tender before June 15, foolish not to. The interesting thing here will be if the Steelers try to sign Brown and /or Sanders to extensions if it appears Wallace is going to play out the string and leave.
If Wallace pouts and his play suffers, then he has hurt only himself as we appear to have very good talent at the WR position, at least for the upcoming season.
My best guess is that 2 of the 3 young WR's will be with us long term. If Sanders has a breakout season the Steelers FO will have one helluva decision to make, won't they.

Hawaii 5-0
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Steelers can put the screws to Mike Wallace in eight days

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/mikewallace-500x302.jpg?w=250

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who reportedly won’t sign his $2.7 million restricted free agency tender until he has to, likely will have to in the next week or so.

If he doesn’t by June 15, the Steelers can replace his current offer with a tender in the amount of 110 percent of Wallace’s base salary in 2011. And since he received a base salary of $525,000 as a third-year pro in 2011, the Steelers will be able to retain his rights for all of 2012 for a mere $577,500.

The authority comes from Article 9, Section 2(f)(i) of the CBA. Though the reduction wouldn’t happen automatically, the Steelers would have the right to do it, if the Steelers so choose. And the window is open for only one day, so they can’t hold it over Wallace’s head in the hopes of getting him to sign a long-term deal.

If Wallace is willing to give up more than $2 million by holding out beyond June 15, there’s a good chance Wallace will hold out into the regular season. After losing more than $2 million by not signing before June 15, losing only $33,970 per week would be peanuts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/07/steelers-can-put-the-screws-to-mike-wallace-in-eight-days/

Hawaii 5-0
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Kevin Colbert Still Confident That A Long-term Deal With Mike Wallace Will Get Done

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert was on the Movin the Chains radio show today, which can be heard on SiriusXM Radio, to talk about several things related to the team as they finish up the third and final OTA session on Thursday.

Late in the interview, co-host Pat Kirwan asked about restricted free agent Mike Wallace, who has yet to sign his one-year restricted offer of $2.74 million and report to organized team activities. Kirwan started off by saying he was sure that Wallace would be gone via restricted free agency asked Colbert if he was holding his breath for a while. "Not really, Pat," said Colbert. "Our mindset was always, look, we can't franchise the player. Economically, we couldn't have handled it from a cap standpoint. So we did what we could to guarantee that at least we'd have the right to match it. And you know Mike has always been a priority for us and he'll continue to be a priority as we're working toward this contract and we're confident we'll get that done." Colbert continued on, "He was in here a couple of weeks ago and picked up a playbook and everybody got to talk to him and we'll continue to work with his agent, Bus Cook, and try to finalize that. But our mindset was always Mike was going to be here and I think Mike's mindset is he wants to be here. So usually when you have that working on both sides, obviously makes it easier. It's never easy, but yet we're confident that will come to a head.

Kirwan then wanted to clarify if indeed the Steelers were working on a multi-year with him now, and Colbert replied, "Oh absolutely. Mike is someone who's stated he wants to be here and we certainly want him. So like I said, you will always have a chance then."

To recap everything, this is the same company line Colbert and the Steelers have stated ever since the 2011 season ended and nothing has changed. It started with Team President Art Rooney II during his end of the season interview when he stated that Wallace would be a priority to get signed to a long-term deal and the organization has never wavered in any of their words since then.

While Wallace will almost certainly be a no-show for the mandatory mini-camp next week, unless a new deal is reached, the Steelers will do nothing and continue negotiations just like Colbert said today. While the team has the right to lower his tender amount on June 15th, they won't, and I have stated this all along. In good faith they will not do this to Wallace.

Wallace might be frustrated, but Colbert seems confident a long-term deal will get done. It might not be until a few days into training camp at the latest, but it should get done.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/kevin-colbert-still-confident-that-a-long-term-deal-with-mike-wallace-will-get-done/

mesaSteeler
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Steelers unlikely to decrease Mike Wallace’s tender
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/steelers_unlikely_to_decrease_mike_wallaces_tender/10974542
Jun 092012

The Steelers aren’t close to a new deal with restricted free agent Mike Wallace and he is not expected to attend mandatory minicamp later this month. However, the Steelers are committed to doing a long term deal with him and are reportedly highly unlikely to decrease Mike Wallace’s tender, something they can do on June 15th. They have the right to decrease his tender from 2.742 million to 577 thousand, but they won’t do that, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, because they feel that would be damaging to long term talks and don’t want to slap their #1 receiver in the face like that.

Mike Wallace said earlier this offseason that he was looking for Larry Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald got 120 million over 8 years last offseason and in the time since Wallace asked for that type of money, Calvin Johnson got 132 million over 7 years. However, the Steelers probably don’t have the cap to do that type of deal even if they wanted to.

If he wants a long term deal, he’ll probably have to settle for Vincent Jackson type money (5 years, 55.5 million) or wait until next offseason when he can hit the open market, unless the Steelers franchise him at what would probably be around 9.5-10 million. Wallace doesn’t have a lot of leverage, but it’s good news for him that the Steelers are very interested in doing a long term deal with him and that they will not slash his salary.

Hawaii 5-0
06-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Mike Wallace Out of Options

June 9, 2012
by steelblitz

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/londoncreative/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Mike_Wallace_St_Louis_Rams_v_Pittsburgh_Steelers_C 8xNMnttfRHl_large.jpg&w=560&zc=1&h=300

Mike Wallace is being smart no matter what any Steelers’ fan may want you to think.

Steelers’ fans continue to turn on Wallace saying he should take what he is given; a thought shared by many fans when speaking about athletes. Fans struggle to understand why athletes fight for more money when they are being paid millions to play a game. The fact of the matter, however, is that any of us would want fair market value for out services.

You must also understand that the average NFL career lasts for less than three years. These players must make enough money to sustain themselves for the rest of their lives. Not showing up to OTAs is the smartest thing for Wallace currently. Say he had shown up and say he tore his ACL running a route. He would miss the entire 2012 season and who would be willing to give him a large contract coming off an injury and being out of football for a year? No one that’s who.

Wallace will return to Steelers’ activities as soon as he has a new contract. Whether that means he has signed his tender or signed a long-term contract. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Live Thursday that the Steelers are “very unlikely” to decrease the value of Mike Wallace’s one-year, $2.742 million restricted tender.

“I don’t think the Steelers are going to do that with Mike Wallace,” Mort said. It is within the Steelers’ rights to drop Wallace’s tender value to $577,000 by next Friday, though such a maneuver would certainly inject tension into contract talks. GM Kevin Colbert wants to sign Wallace to a long-term extension.” Steelers GM Kevin Colbert continues to express his confidence that a long-term deal will be reached. As he is the only person other than Wallace and Wallace’s agent that has all the details about their negotiations I will continue to believe him over the rumors.

Although Wallace is being smart not to risk injury before he gets his money, he is also running out of options and time. Wallace must make one of two decisions: either sign his tender and play the 2012 season with the Steelers and look for a new contract on the open free agent marker in 2013, or sign a long-term deal with the Steelers. Playing on a one year deal is always a risk for NFL players. If Wallace suffers a serious injury in 2012 playing on the one year tender he will risk losing millions of dollars.

It is a hard choice to make, but Wallace will need to make it soon at least for the Steelers’ sake. We have all seen what holding-out can do to star players. Chris Johnson held out last year waiting for a larger contract; he went from being CJ2K (renowned for his 2009 season when he ran for over 2,000 yards) to running for only 47 yards over 1,000 yards in 2012. His rushing stats diminished greatly in 2011; he had five games of under 25 yards rushing, and twelve games under 64 yards. If not for big performances in weeks 12 and 13 where Johnson ran for 190 yards and then 153 yards he would have ran for less than 1,000 yards last season. Holding-out dropped Johnson from arguably the best back in the NFL to an average back at best.

The Steelers need Wallace to return as soon as possible so that he doesn’t suffer a similar drop in production. There is no question that the Steelers would like to sign Wallace to a long-term deal and keep him as Ben Roethlisberger’s top weapon for many years to come, but Wallace will need to feel the same way. He may not get as much money in Pittsburgh as he would on the open market, but with the Steelers Wallace will have a good chance at winning a Super Bowl. It will be his decision to make: more money or a chance for a ring; usually those two don’t mix, just ask all the big name players that have gone to the Washington Redskins looking for big money in recent years.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_out_of_options/10972400

MasterOfPuppets
06-09-2012, 04:26 PM
The fact of the matter, however, is that any of us would want fair market value for out services.

if wallace wants more than the 2.7 million tender , he should ask the players union for it. they are the ones who accepted the pay structure. there's probably dozens of players in wallaces shoes (RFA) who happily signed their tenders and are just grateful to still be in the NFL..

Say he had shown up and say he tore his ACL running a route. He would miss the entire 2012 season and who would be willing to give him a large contract coming off an injury and being out of football for a year? No one that’s who.
ummm...wouldn't he still collect the 2.7 mill tender offer if he signs it ?

pancake
06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't blame Wallace for wanting to get a long term deal. It's a business deal and 99% would do the same if we were lucky enough to be in his shoes...

My hope is both sides come a resolution that makes everyone happy...

Hawaii 5-0
06-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't blame Wallace for wanting to get a long term deal. It's a business deal and 99% would do the same if we were lucky enough to be in his shoes...

My hope is both sides come a resolution that makes everyone happy...

$$$$

FrancoLambert
06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
if wallace wants more than the 2.7 million tender , he should ask the players union for it. they are the ones who accepted the pay structure. there's probably dozens of players in wallaces shoes (RFA) who happily signed their tenders and are just grateful to still be in the NFL..

ummm...wouldn't he still collect the 2.7 mill tender offer if he signs it ?

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Rick5895
06-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Wallace should be careful. If he wants to stay with a great organization he may have to take a little less than what his ego says he's worth. I hope he stays but we have accumulated more speed to the team this season, and with brown and Sanders going into the RFA year Wallace may just price himself out of being a Steeler. With todays NFL economics and with the talent and speed that seems to come out every year at the WR position, Wallace may find he never gets what he truly feels he is worth. If he does, it would be my belief that it would be with a poor to middle of the road team that in reality never has a shot at championships.
Mike has to ask himself this....When you are going to make 6 or so million a year to play with a team that is ALWAYS contending for a title, is a couple of million more going to make the bad taste in your mouth disappear when you are playing for a team that isn't as well run as the Steelers or have a shot at championships year in and year out.
Maybe he should give Randle El a call, see how going to Washington for the big bucks worked out for him!!

Hawaii 5-0
06-10-2012, 02:57 PM
New CBA makes skipping mandatory minicamp much more expensive

Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2012

Boycotting mandatory offseason workouts isn’t as cheap as it used to be.

Under the new labor deal, which was finalized after any mandatory minicamps would have been conducted in 2011, the maximum fines for skipping the three-day non-voluntary practice sessions have increased. Signficantly.

Under Article 42, Section 1(ix) of the CBA, a player who skips one day of a mandatory minicamp may be fined up to $10,000. If he skips a second day, another $20,000 fine may be imposed. By completing the trifecta, a maximum additional fine of $30,000 may be assessed, bringing the total possible fine to $60,000.

In contrast, former Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall faced a total fine of less then $10,000 for skipping all three days of a mandatory minicamp under the last CBA.

On top of that, a player could be subject to a partial forfeiture of certain bonuses, a waiver of any remaining guarantees in his contract, and other enhanced penalties authorized by the new CBA.

That’s ultimately why guys like Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins, Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, and other unhappy minicampers who are under contract will attend their respective teams’ mandatory offseason practices, many of which will happen this week.

So Jenkins showing up doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be traded, and Jones-Drew showing up doesn’t mean he doesn’t want a new contract. It only means that they both have 60,000 reasons to be there — along with any other money they could lose by breaching their current contracts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/10/new-cba-makes-skipping-mandatory-minicamp-much-more-expensive/

JPPT1974
06-10-2012, 05:24 PM
He is a key player and that the Steelers need to pay him like that or Wallace needs to pay his tender before camp to help them in 2012.

Ricco Suavez
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Wallace is only doing what many others before him have done, and that is try to get his money while he can. The NFL, while a dream come true to many and riches beyond most people's aspirations, is a short lived career and for most even with prudent planning finances become an issue after a players "glory days". Sure some go on to other jobs, perhaps a career in some field from college studies, others the media, or even stay with a NFL team in some capacity. The lion share of former players retire to the reality of real life and cannot adjust, this leads to some of the tragic stories that have been revealed in past years. Make no mistake the Steelers are handling this the way they see fit, both from what it will do "on the field" as well as what it does to the "bottom line". I for one do not harbor any ill will toward Wallace since he is only doing what he feels is best for him and his family. If he prices him self out of Pittsburgh, then so be it. I love my Steelers and I truly like all the current members of this team, yet sometimes players move on and this may be one of those times.

wera176
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Wallace is only doing what many others before him have done, and that is try to get his money while he can. The NFL, while a dream come true to many and riches beyond most people's aspirations, is a short lived career and for most even with prudent planning finances become an issue after a players "glory days". Sure some go on to other jobs, perhaps a career in some field from college studies, others the media, or even stay with a NFL team in some capacity. The lion share of former players retire to the reality of real life and cannot adjust, this leads to some of the tragic stories that have been revealed in past years. Make no mistake the Steelers are handling this the way they see fit, both from what it will do "on the field" as well as what it does to the "bottom line". I for one do not harbor any ill will toward Wallace since he is only doing what he feels is best for him and his family. If he prices him self out of Pittsburgh, then so be it. I love my Steelers and I truly like all the current members of this team, yet sometimes players move on and this may be one of those times.

^This.

I hope they work it out, but if they don't then so be it.

Just hope he goes to the NFC if it comes to that! :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
06-10-2012, 09:18 PM

quality post! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

harts
06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I I am making scheduled to make $50,000 but my ability says $95,000 I would have a problem with it.
That;'s the dilemma Wallace is in
Sad
Gronkowski had the Brinks Truck parked in front of him.
Steelers overpaid for old Hines and Aaron Smith and Snacks was given a few more zeroes than neccessary,

Wallace changes the game and should be compensated as such

Steelers Pay the man!

Hawaii 5-0
06-11-2012, 03:09 AM
Steelers Not Lowering Mike Wallace Tender: Smart Move?

Jun 10th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

Several reports have come from NFL.com, Yahoo! Sports, and some other outlets confirming that the Steelers have no intention of lowering Mike Wallace’s tender of $2.7 million come June 15th should the two side not come to an agreement. The Steelers have the option of lowering his tender to just below $600,000 if Wallace (and more likely his agent Bus Cook) digs his heels in and does not sign.

I’ve argued several times that the Steelers are well within their right to do so and should. The team is in no real danger should Wallace not return to the starting lineup before November. November is the final key date in the Wallace saga – if he wants to play at all in 2012, he will need to sign by then no matter the price tag from the team. Fans must understand that Wallace is in danger of really screwing himself and his career should he hold out. The Steelers have all the power.

So, by stating that they do not intend to lower the tender after June 14th, are we to interpret this as an olive branch from the team to Wallace? The Steelers, as the classiest organization to ever grace the NFL, have decided to not punish their speedster for catching a case of the crazies for demanding too much money. Smart move? Too gracious? It’s a tough call in my corner – it is a gracious move by the Steelers which is good and expected, but I have no reservations when it comes to not putting up with players’ B.S. and money. I think it’s a good move by the Steelers. It doesn’t totally disrespect a receiver that the do indeed covet. However, it still shows (that by stating this now and not at the end of the week) that the Steelers favor the tender over whatever current demand is on the table. Perhaps it shows us that the two sides are not so far from reaching an agreement – less of a Grand Canyon and more like the width of the Mon River at The Point.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/10/steelers-not-lowering-mike-wallace-tender-smart-move/

pete74
06-11-2012, 06:46 AM
I like how they say the average NFL career is 3 years and they need to make enough money in that time to last them the rest of there lives. What ever happened to working? If your only in the NFL for 3 years that puts you at 24 years old. Are they supposed to just ride the couch for the next 40 some years? What ever happened to using that college degree to get a job? Do football players not know how to work? That's just ridiculous to me.

Steelersfan87
06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
If you had a small window of years during which you have the opportunity to make exponentially more money than you will have at any other point in your life, would you not try to take advantage of your position? Many professional athletes are able to secure not only their own financial future, but their entire family's, and it's no secret that many athletes come from rather...meager backgrounds in terms of affluence. Many professional athletes often have a lot more than themselves in mind when talking contracts. Sometimes perhaps we should keep that in mind during these discussions.

Ricco Suavez
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I like how they say the average NFL career is 3 years and they need to make enough money in that time to last them the rest of there lives. What ever happened to working? If your only in the NFL for 3 years that puts you at 24 years old. Are they supposed to just ride the couch for the next 40 some years? What ever happened to using that college degree to get a job? Do football players not know how to work? That's just ridiculous to me.

Things are what they are, Pete. The Owners (Team) use the skills and abilities of the athletes to their further their own agenda, while the players (and their agents) postured them selves into the best bargaining position for monetary gain. Hey nothing wrong with working, I for one have worked close to 40 years. But if given the same opportunity and situation I would use my leverage to secure my future. This is a game to us (fans) but its more to those actually in it, its a game and BUSINESS.

Hawaii 5-0
06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
surprise, no Mike Wallace at mini-camp...

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Mike Wallace would be fined $63K for missing minicamp if he actually signed his tender (which he doesn't have to until Fri) Camp ends Thurs

https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib%20OR%20from:MarkKaboly_Trib%2 0OR%20from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Tri b+OR+from%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_T rib

steeltheone
06-12-2012, 04:31 PM
I I am making scheduled to make $50,000 but my ability says $95,000 I would have a problem with it.
That;'s the dilemma Wallace is in
Sad
Gronkowski had the Brinks Truck parked in front of him.
Steelers overpaid for old Hines and Aaron Smith and Snacks was given a few more zeroes than neccessary,

Wallace changes the game and should be compensated as such

Steelers Pay the man!...... Gronkowski playoff stats 17 -258-3...... Mike Wallace 3-26-0

Wallace Needs to show up when it counts.

4xSBChamps
06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
...... Gronkowski playoff stats 17 -258-3...... Mike Wallace 3-26-0

Wallace Needs to show up when it counts.

F'-him, and the horse he's gonna ride outta town on

steeltheone
06-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Damn...your pissed!:banging:

Boomer
06-12-2012, 09:53 PM

I think a lot of fans are reaching this point with Mike. If 4 or 5 of the WRs we have in camp go out and light it up and look great, does Mike change his mind and show up to play? The Steelers have other options at WR. He needs the team more than they need him. He's gonna have to accept that fact and show up to play sooner or later. I prefer sooner.

Bayz101
06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't care what anyone thinks, Wallace isn't worth the stress. He will play this year out, and either ride out of town in search of an elite deal he doesn't deserve, or we'll cap him.

Edit: He isn't even worth a 9 million dollar cap. You have to show up in the playoff's to be worth that kind of money, and if he shows up in the playoff's next year (granted we make it), i'll change my position.

Steelersfan87
06-13-2012, 12:00 AM
It amuses me to think how utterly different the dialog about Wallace's abilities would be if he already signed a long-term contract with the Steelers. The typical reaction on here seems like a defense mechanism to prepare oneself for your favorite team losing a valuable asset.

tony hipchest
06-13-2012, 12:10 AM
i still think that in 4 years, 9 mil/season for wallace will be considered a bargain.

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 12:13 AM
It amuses me to think how utterly different the dialog about Wallace's abilities would be if he already signed a long-term contract with the Steelers. The typical reaction on here seems like a defense mechanism to prepare oneself for your favorite team losing a valuable asset.

you're right, Steeler Nation would love Mike Wallace if he were to sign a long-term contract with the Steelers and show that he is loyal and wants to play in the Black & Gold..

however, if it's only about the money and Wallace would rather play elsewhere for more cash then I think Steeler Nation is right to be reserved until we see how this all plays out.

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 12:51 AM
As expected, Wallace a no-show at minicamp

By Scott Brown
Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=4BaD7 zN9GFIELalIQM6ffM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuChIQ2X7C8fWJ ke$HBDweCWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace drags his foot in bounds on a touchdown catch in front of the Bengals' Kelly Jennings during the second quarter Sunday December 4, 2011 at Heinz Field. (Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review)

Mike Wallace was a no-show Tuesday for the first day of Steelers’ minicamp.

Just as predictable was the Steelers’ collective shrug at their Pro Bowl receiver’s absence.

“It’s probably some short-term misery,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “Hopefully there will be some closure to this, and it will be in the rearview mirror at some point. Obviously he’d be better served if he were here working.”

Wallace, unhappy with the one-year contract the Steelers offered him in March, has skipped every offseason practice. The Steelers can’t fine Wallace for missing any of the five minicamp practices, even though they are mandatory, because he is not under contract.

They can reduce the $2.7 million offer they made to Wallace as a restricted free agent by a little more than $2 million if he doesn’t sign before Saturday.

The Steelers have said they want to sign Wallace, who is 25 and coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, to a long-term contract. But they may be reluctant to pay him top dollar given some of the salary-cap issues they’ve had to work through and the fact receiver Antonio Brown, the team MVP in 2011, is a restricted free agent after this season.

While he has stayed away from practices, Wallace has kept in touch with some of his teammates. He also picked up new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s playbook in early May.

“I’d love to have him here because he’s a great friend and great teammate, but I’m not worried,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “I know he’s going to get here when it’s right and when they get something done.”

Tomlin said he has no reservations about Wallace keeping himself in shape or learning the playbook. But he made it clear that Wallace is missing valuable practice time, particularly with the Steelers installing a new offense.

“I’m sure he’s working at the learning element of it, but there’s no substitute for being here and being around your teammates and learning the nuances and learning from other people’s mistakes,” Tomlin said.

Wallace has not returned repeated messages from the Tribune-Review, and the fourth-year man he has not indicated whether he will report for training camp in late July.

“I know both parties want (Wallace) to be here,” receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. “I know Mike. He’s going to come in, and he’s going to be productive.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1984679-85/wallace-steelers-learning-contract-mike-minicamp-receiver-tomlin-brown-sign

Steelersfan87
06-13-2012, 01:41 AM
you're right, Steeler Nation would love Mike Wallace if he were to sign a long-term contract with the Steelers and show that he is loyal and wants to play in the Black & Gold..

however, if it's only about the money and Wallace would rather play elsewhere for more cash then I think Steeler Nation is right to be reserved until we see how this all plays out.

I was talking about the way his receiving skills and abilities as a player are being talked about. By the sounds of it, you'd think people were discussing Mohamed Massaquoi.

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 02:24 AM
I was talking about the way his receiving skills and abilities as a player are being talked about. By the sounds of it, you'd think people were discussing Mohamed Massaquoi.

Mike Wallace is a very good WR, but at what cost?

when Wallace says he wants "Larry Fitzgerald $" Steelers fans point to a relative average second half of the season and 3 receptions for 26 yards with no TDs in our playoff loss to Denver.

and when you also consider that AB and Sanders' contracts also expire after this season and with the reality of the salary cap that we can most likely only keep 2 of the 3 WRs, fans naturally question whether Wallace is worth retaining at an exorbitant salary cap figure that most likely means losing AB and/or Sanders.

TheVet
06-13-2012, 02:51 AM
I haven't noticed folks unfairly criticizing his receiving skills or abilities. Everyone seems to agree that he's greatly outperformed his contract, that he has a chance to be a great receiver, and that they hope he's around for the long term. But folks also point out that he does have areas for improvement, that he's not at the Fitzgerald level yet. I assume you agree with that assessment, yes?

I do see folks unhappy with him not being in camp, but that's just natural.

Where are all these posts unfairly denigrating his abilities?

Steelersfan87
06-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Look back through this thread and "The Official Mike Wallace Thread"...

43Hitman
06-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Personally, if I have to choose between AB or Wallace, I'm taking AB. He's a more complete receiver at this point in their respective careers. Wallace runs go routes better than anyone, but has disappeared in big games when we've needed him most.

ANDYMISIU
06-13-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm thinking the Steelers will only keep one between Wallace and Brown. I don't think the Steelers can give both big contracts. I think the Steelers are going to let these guys battle it out this year for the extension.

TRH
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm thinking the Steelers will only keep one between Wallace and Brown. I don't think the Steelers can give both big contracts. I think the Steelers are going to let these guys battle it out this year for the extension.

I think there's no question we will (and can) only sign one of the two. It's not a question of giving them both contracts, we would if we could....the problem is going to be the SIZE of the contracts. Either one is going to be ultra-mega-huge money and we're not going to mortgage the entire franchise to sign two WR's. We won't have the necessary money left to do anything elsewhere.
Remember...come next year, we are going to have to look at sinking some more big money into this defense. There's just not enough to go around.

TheVet
06-13-2012, 04:03 PM
I haven't noticed folks unfairly criticizing his receiving skills or abilities. Everyone seems to agree that he's greatly outperformed his contract, that he has a chance to be a great receiver, and that they hope he's around for the long term. But folks also point out that he does have areas for improvement, that he's not at the Fitzgerald level yet. I assume you agree with that assessment, yes?

I do see folks unhappy with him not being in camp, but that's just natural.

Where are all these posts unfairly denigrating his abilities?

Look back through this thread and "The Official Mike Wallace Thread"...

I did, and I just don't see it. Assuming that you don't believe that Wallace is already at the elite receiver level (top 5 or so), where are posts that are "unfairly criticizing his receiving skills or abilities"? There's plenty of anger about him not being here, of course, and lots of "but at what price?" questions. But people seem to be very accurate in assessing his strengths, identifying his areas for improvement - and people seem to believe that he could become one of the greats.

Where are these posts with unfair criticisms of his skills and ability?

steeltheone
06-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Personally, if I have to choose between AB or Wallace, I'm taking AB. He's a more complete receiver at this point in their respective careers. Wallace runs go routes better than anyone, but has disappeared in big games when we've needed him most.

Antonio Brown in 4 playoff games ( including 1 SB ) 10-160-0 Another bomb in big games..

Atlanta Dan
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Wallace isn't the only one who is frustrated

Steelers' Rooney on Wallace: 'He should be here'

Steelers president Art Rooney II has a message for Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace, who is absent from the team's three-day minicamp.

"He should be here," Rooney said today after the team concluded its morning workout.

The Steelers have until Friday to either reduce or pull the one-year, $2.7 million offer they tendered Wallace as a restricted free agent. The team is not expected to do that, though, and will continue to try to sign him to a long-term contract.

However, there has been little, if any, movement in negotiations.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-on-wallace-he-should-be-here-640189/

Wallace and his agent need to accept the fact they expected a big contract from the Steelers or some else this offseason and guessed wrong

Steelersfan87
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
People should probably stop saying that it's not possible for the Steelers to sign both Wallace and Brown long-term. They still have 2 years with Brown before they have to worry about signing him long-term, and that's when the salary cap goes up. That's also probably when Keisel, Foote, Harrison, and Hampton are all gone. Outside of QB, WR is the money position on offense. It's getting to be where teams can't afford NOT to throw their money there.

As far as this Rooney statement goes, we've only been shown four of the words that he spoke. I have a feeling that he said more than that.

Hawaii 5-0
06-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Has Mike Wallace Lost His “Creds”?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Christina L. Rivers

Credentials - that which entitles one to confidence, credit or authority; Evidence or testimonials concerning one's right to credit, confidence or authority (Merriam-Webster Dictionary).

Creds - Credentials earned in life by experience. Credit given. (UrbanDictionary.com)

We've all been following the ongoing saga of receiver Mike Wallace's professional football career. Some have been as hooked to the story as they are to Jersey Shore. With all the rumors and statements made by Wallace and others, the only question left is whether or not Wallace's actions and words have cost him his "creds".

Wallace possesses confidence. There is no real dispute there. In 2011 he appeared much more comfortable running routes and exhibited more of his true talent on the field.

Toward the end of the season, Wallace was seeing more teams using double-coverage on him. Opponents, knowing he has exceptional speed, created defensive packages meant to limit his receptions, especially ones for long yardage. As a result, Wallace's stats began to drop a bit and Antonio Brown's stats began to rise.

Let's not get too carried away, though. In September, Wallace was outperforming Brown with 21 receptions to ten; 377 yards to 156. In December, Wallace had 16 receptions for 243 yards and two touchdowns. Brown made 15 receptions for 311 yards and one touchdown. Those numbers aren't close enough to say that Brown "outplayed" Wallace by any means. Wallace was still putting up healthy numbers.

Give Wallace credit where credit is due. He has made some incredible catches. There were even a few that seemed to be aided by divine intervention. So far, Wallace has met two of the three 'qualities' that make up credentials. The last one is authority; and this may be where Wallace falters a bit.

When someone is an "authority", we generally deduce that that person is an expert in their field. In Wallace's case, it would include the football field; literally and figuratively. Professional football is as much about business as it is about sport. Players want to be fairly compensated for their play, efforts and the risks inherent to the game. Anyone in business expects a fair price for their goods and services.

Wallace's authority is questioned by some because he is rumored to have asked for a contract that paid more than Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald's 8-year, $120 million deal. Others question the fact that Wallace has stated he will not sign the one-year tender the Steelers have offered him at nearly $2.75 million. Cian Fahey, another writer here at Steelers Depot, says Wallace will be "unreliable" in 2012 due to the fact that he'll most likely be forced to suit up for the Steelers...but will his heart be in it?

Is Wallace in the top-10 of all receivers in the National Football League today? Many 'burgh faithful may adamantly declare, "yes", but that may not be the case. There is a lot of room for interpretation here. Recently Hines Ward was on NFL Total Access and listed his top-10; he put Wallace at 10th place.

I am an avid Wallace fan. I also collect football cards ravenously. I currently have a Mike Wallace high-value rookie card (Upper Deck - Sweet Swatches #SSW-63) that has a piece of his Ole Miss jersey inserted into it that is certified by Richard P. McWilliam of the Upper Deck company. As part of my charitable works, I offered for people to bid on the card in order to give the proceeds to Big Brothers, Big Sisters. The effort was to help kids. I didn't receive a single offer. Not one bid.

This experience raised questions for me about how football fans see Wallace today. Has his stock dropped because of his post-season attitude and hold-out that has kept him out of OTAs and now mandatory mini-camp? Are fans jumping off the Wallace party bus?

Ike Taylor was on Trib Live radio in May with host John Harris. During the Ike Taylor Show, Taylor insisted that Wallace wants to be with the team and is frustrated, but "Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he's dealing with a monster, and that's the Pittsburgh Steelers ... they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel." Taylor admitted that he told Wallace, "Mike, you know, we do need you and we would love to have you at least in the building. You don't have to do nothing because it's voluntary, but just your presence being around, you know, it could help or might speed up the process." According to Taylor, Wallace is frustrated by seeing a lot of guys receiving big contracts. Taylor told Wallace, "Football don't need you; you need football." (You can see the interview and read Dave Bryan's article about the show.)

Head coach Mike Tomlin said the Wallace deal is business and that he has talked to Wallace. "We had good communications. This process is going to run its course... It'll be a little short term misery, but it won't be significant in the grand scheme of things hopefully." Wallace did pick up his playbook and has been working out on his own. This is a testimonial that Wallace needed. Even Ben Roethlisberger has said that Wallace is a great player and that "(Wallace) needs to get his fair market value."

For Wallace to take over that authority part of his "creds", he is going to have to show (like Ike Taylor did in the past) that he understands that he needs the game as much or more than the cash. I'd love to see Wallace walk into training camp with a new outlook and complete credentials because he is faithful to his teammates, his team and puts his self-respect first over whatever he personally defines himself in dollars and cents.

To answer the question - no, Mike Wallace hasn't lost his "creds", but he's hurting them every day he waits to make a decision.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ben_roethlisberger_says_hes_not_going_to_change_hi s_game/11006321

steeltheone
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Once again..... 16 catches 141 yards and 1 td in 4 career playoff games ( includes 1 SB ) Larry Fitz 42 playoff catches- 705 yards and 9 td's...... 7 career playoff games

Players worth big money perform with the game on the line. Wallace and Brown need to step it up.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Has Mike Wallace Lost His “Creds”?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Christina L. Rivers

Wallace's authority is questioned by some because he is rumored to have asked for a contract that paid more than Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald's 8-year, $120 million deal. Others question the fact that Wallace has stated he will not sign the one-year tender the Steelers have offered him at nearly $2.75 million.

Well, this is the crux of it. Is the rumor true, and do Wallace and his agent really expect that the Steelers could, would or should get anywhere close to these numbers at this point? Let's all hope that the actual negotiations are happening in a more rational range.

By the way, does anybody know what would happen if Wallace chose to sit out the entire year? Would he be in the same 4th year situation, only one year later?

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 01:57 AM
By the way, does anybody know what would happen if Wallace chose to sit out the entire year? Would he be in the same 4th year situation, only one year later?

Steelers' Wallace not at OTAs, needs a contract decision by Friday

June 13, 2012
The Sports Xchange

Mike Wallace isn't reporting to Steelers' minicamp this week, but he has another decision to make by Friday.

Wallace, a restricted free agent, has until the June 15 deadline to sign his one-year, $2.7 million offer. If he doesn't, the Steelers can reduce the offer by 110 percent to $577,500.

The tactic isn't mandatory but has been used in prominent holdout cases such as those involving Logan Mankins of the Patriots and Vincent Jackson of the Chargers in 2010. Both players responded by holding out into October before reporting in time to be on the roster for the six games required to earn an accrued season toward the six needed to become an unrestricted free agent.

Wallace's position is that he expects the Steelers to offer him a long-term contract before the start of the season. Pittsburgh's salary-cap situation might preclude a landmark deal in line signed by Lions' wide receiver Calvin Johnson (eight years, $132 million) in March.

The Steelers' leading receiver with 72 receptions for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season, Wallace's production slowed over the second half of last season, when Antonio Brown was the most-targeted Steelers' receiver.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/mc-steelers-wallace-contract-0613-20120613,0,3230659.story

TheVet
06-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks Hawaii. But what if he holds out the entire year, doesn't even show for the 6 games. What's the situation in the following year?

I don't recall ever seeing it happen.

Steelersfan87
06-14-2012, 05:00 AM
If he never reports for the whole year, then he will remain a restricted free agent and the Steelers will be free to give him a restricted free agent tender again. I'm not sure if that scenario has ever actually happened though.

Bayz101
06-14-2012, 08:41 AM

I agree with this 100%.

TRH
06-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Steelers' Wallace not at OTAs, needs a contract decision by Friday

June 13, 2012
The Sports Xchange

Mike Wallace isn't reporting to Steelers' minicamp this week, but he has another decision to make by Friday.

Wallace, a restricted free agent, has until the June 15 deadline to sign his one-year, $2.7 million offer. If he doesn't, the Steelers can reduce the offer by 110 percent to $577,500.

The tactic isn't mandatory but has been used in prominent holdout cases such as those involving Logan Mankins of the Patriots and Vincent Jackson of the Chargers in 2010. Both players responded by holding out into October before reporting in time to be on the roster for the six games required to earn an accrued season toward the six needed to become an unrestricted free agent.

Wallace's position is that he expects the Steelers to offer him a long-term contract before the start of the season. Pittsburgh's salary-cap situation might preclude a landmark deal in line signed by Lions' wide receiver Calvin Johnson (eight years, $132 million) in March.

The Steelers' leading receiver with 72 receptions for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season, Wallace's production slowed over the second half of last season, when Antonio Brown was the most-targeted Steelers' receiver.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/mc-steelers-wallace-contract-0613-20120613,0,3230659.story

If Wallace doesn't report, i'd love to see the Steelers exercise this right, but they likely won't do it.
If a scenario would play out where he wouldn't come to play until mid-season, he's doing nothing but hurting himself and his future negotiating power.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
If he never reports for the whole year, then he will remain a restricted free agent and the Steelers will be free to give him a restricted free agent tender again. I'm not sure if that scenario has ever actually happened though.

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a bad scenario for both him and the Steelers. If things break that badly, I would think neither party would be interested in going forward. It would probably result in some kind of trade eventually.

OK, now I have another question, for anyone that knows. Suppose Wallace sits out for 10 games, must the Steelers allow him back for the final 6? Or could they refuse, and force it back to the whole year scenario? It seems to me that having him back for the final 6 could be very disruptive, especially if the team is doing well. It would be pretty annoying if the Steelers declined to exercise their right to drop the RFA tender down to $577K, and Wallace holds out anyway - then the team would be forced to pay him for 6 games at the $2.7 million prorated, which would really suck if he shows up disgruntled and unhappy.

Anyone know how that works?

TheVet
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM
OK, enough of the gloom and doom scenarios - it's prediction time.

I think Wallace will sign the $2.7 million RFA tender, and he'll be in camp at some point, and he'll play this season. This will allow the Steelers to proceed with negotiations, which may or may not lead to a long-term deal. But Wallace will play the full season, and he'll give it his very best effort because he's playing for the money.

Rationale: The Steelers have all the leverage. If Wallace wants the big money (either here or elsewhere), he needs to blow it out this season. He's a rising star, but he's not there yet. And if he wants a chance to blow it out, he needs to get in there and work with the unit to get comfortable with the new offense; so camp isn't optional. At some point, his agent or other trusted advisers will see the light, and make this point clear. Meanwhile, the Steelers are in pretty good shape with their overall wide receiver corps, and they've got bigger fish to fry after filling the vacant OC position and revamping their OL. This just isn't the kind of hard case that will cause the team to make an exception to their negotiation principles.

The bottom line is that Steelers really want Wallace, but Wallace really needs to be with the Steelers. Wallace will be in camp because ultimately it's in the interests of both parties.

I hope I'm right ...

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 06:03 PM
OK, now I have another question, for anyone that knows. Suppose Wallace sits out for 10 games, must the Steelers allow him back for the final 6? Or could they refuse, and force it back to the whole year scenario? It seems to me that having him back for the final 6 could be very disruptive, especially if the team is doing well. It would be pretty annoying if the Steelers declined to exercise their right to drop the RFA tender down to $577K, and Wallace holds out anyway - then the team would be forced to pay him for 6 games at the $2.7 million prorated, which would really suck if he shows up disgruntled and unhappy.

Anyone know how that works?

If Wallace were to sit out all season long and then only show up for the last 6 games just to get his season credit I'm willing to bet that the Steelers would not let him play but instead would pay him to sit at home and not be a distraction.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 06:41 PM
If Wallace were to sit out all season long and then only show up for the last 6 games just to get his season credit I'm willing to bet that the Steelers would not let him play but instead would pay him to sit at home and not be a distraction.

I think you're probably right. But they would be compelled to pay him, correct? It's Wallace's option to force it?

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
I think you're probably right. But they would be compelled to pay him, correct? It's Wallace's option to force it?

yes, whether they allow him to play the last 6 games or tell him to stay home they would have to pay him the prorated portion of the restricted tender.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 07:44 PM
yes, whether they allow him to play the last 6 games or tell him to stay home they would have to pay him the prorated portion of the restricted tender.

Ughh. Even for six games, that's a lot of money to throw away.

577,000 X 6/16 = $216,375
2,700,000 X 6/16 = $1,012,500

That's a difference of nearly $800K. If I'm the Steelers, and there's any reasonable doubt about whether we'll be able to get Wallace here for the season, I'd consider dropping the tender amount with the message that the $2.7 m is still there if he shows up. Steelers are being very nice.

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Ughh. Even for six games, that's a lot of money to throw away.

577,000 X 6/16 = $216,375
2,700,000 X 6/16 = $1,012,500

That's a difference of nearly $800K. If I'm the Steelers, and there's any reasonable doubt about whether we'll be able to get Wallace here for the season, I'd consider dropping the tender amount with the message that the $2.7 m is still there if he shows up. Steelers are being very nice.

the Steelers are bargaining in good faith, believing a long-term deal will get done.

I believe that either one will get done or Wallace will sign his tender and report to training camp without missing any games.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
the Steelers are bargaining in good faith, believing a long-term deal will get done.

I believe that either one will get done or Wallace will sign his tender and report to training camp without missing any games.

Yes, I believe the same thing. It makes sense for both parties.

The Steelers are awesome, risking that kind of money to bargain in good faith. That would be hard for me to do. That's one of several reasons why I've made a conscious decision to not purchase an NFL team at this time.

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
The Steelers are awesome, risking that kind of money to bargain in good faith. That would be hard for me to do. That's one of several reasons why I've made a conscious decision to not purchase an NFL team at this time.

:chuckle: :rofl:

good thinking, who wants to hang around with guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder anyway?

mesaSteeler
06-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Steelers still eyeing long-term deal with Wallace
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2005966-85/steelers-wallace-colbert-offer-roethlisberger-ben-hampton-knee-mendenhall-season?printerfriendly=true
Through the years

A look at Mike Wallace’s first three seasons with the Steelers:

Year G Rec. Yards Avg. TD Long

2009 16 39 756 19.4 6 60

2010 16 60 1,257 21.0 10 56

2011 16 72 1,193 16.6 8 95

By Scott Brown
Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, June 15, 2012, 7:14 p.m.
Updated 1 hour ago

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said he does not expect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to change his swashbuckling style of play, even if one of his favorite targets’ status remains an unknown.

On Friday, the Steelers did not reduce the one-year, $2.7 million offer they had made to restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

The team had until midnight to reduce that offer by more than $2 million to $577,055, but they never seriously considered exercising that option.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger’s approach — and the amount of punishment he exposes himself to while extending plays — has been under scrutiny since the Steelers made a change at offensive coordinator, replacing Bruce Arians with Todd Haley.

“Ben is who he is, and that’s OK,” Colbert said Friday.

“Ben has always looked to create big plays, and that’s OK because he’s won games for us doing that.”

The Steelers may have to win games for a significant part of this season without two established starters, and neither is Wallace.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall and nose tackle Casey Hampton are recovering from serious knee injuries, and each has started working out again to various degrees.

Mendenhall, who has averaged more than 1,000 rushing yards in his three seasons as a starter, tore the ACL in his right knee Jan. 1 in Cleveland.

Hampton suffered the same injury to his left knee a week later in a playoff loss in Denver.

“My guess is they’ll open the season on PUP (the physically unable to perform list),” Colbert said.

“You’ve got to remember both of those injuries happened late in the year.”

Mendenhall and Hampton, each of whom is in the final year of his contract, wouldn’t be eligible to play until after the Steelers’ sixth game if they start the season on the PUP list.

Equally unknown is what will happen with Wallace, who has averaged more than 1,000 receiving yards in his first three seasons and wants to be among the highest-paid receivers in the NFL.

Wallace skipped offseason practices because of his unhappiness over the one-year contract the Steelers offered in March.

While the team could have reduced the offer, Colbert said, “That was never our intention.”

Several of Wallace’s teammates, including Roethlisberger, have said they expect him to report on time to training camp, which starts July 25.

When asked whether he shares that optimism, Colbert said, “All I can say is we’re in negotiations, and our goal has always been to do a long-term deal.”

Scott Brown is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com.

Atlanta Dan
06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Good sumarry of the current situation - excerpts and link below

Wallace's best opportunity came and went; now it's time for him to take deal
Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

Mike Wallace is a wonderful football player, one of the more exciting young players in the NFL, and someone who certainly has outperformed his rookie contract. But his holdout has run its course. His leverage is only waning. And it's just about time to get back to Pittsburgh and get on with his career.

This is a war Wallace can't win, not under these circumstances.

Between the Steelers' organizational strength, their history in these cases, the new realities of the CBA, and the overall strength at wide receiver on Pittsburgh's roster, this can't string out more than a few more weeks. Come training camp, the rules shift even more in the team's favor, and, after skipping mandatory minicamp and raising some ire ("The Rooney family is not happy," one league source said), the wise move for the former 84th overall pick would be to use the weeks between now and the opening camp to hammer out the best deal possible.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19358780/wallaces-best-opportunity-came-and-went-now-its-time-for-him-to-take-deal

Steelersfan87
06-16-2012, 06:03 PM
That's actually probably the best thing I've ever read from Jason LaCanfora. Thanks for sharing.

TRH
06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
those are great points. It's in his best interests to get in here. I hope his agent isn't going to put damage into his career. Much of this depends on how much of a pain in the a** his agent is being.

Hawaii 5-0
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Mike Wallace Tweets That He Will Be With Steeler Nation In 2012

Monday, June 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

On Monday, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace accidentally retweeted a tweet on Twitter from a troller stating that he would not be with the Steelers this season. His mistake must have prompted a pretty good response on the social media platform as he has since deleted the retweet and posted a response stating:

"Didn't mean to retweet that I will be with #steelernation" and another immediately after that that stated: "Just read what someone wrote"

Wallace has been pretty quiet all off-season in regard to his restricted free agency situation. Outside of a few interviews he gave prior to the free agency period starting, he, nor his agent Bus Cook, have talked to the media concerning his contract wants. Teammate Ike Taylor talked a little about what the Steelers fourth year wide receiver told him when the two joined several other Steelers players in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, but even that was second hand information.

The Monday tweet really gives us no real clarity though into when Wallace intends to sign his one-year tender of $2.74 million. Friday was the deadline for the Steelers to lower their tender offer to Wallace down to $577,000 should they have wanted to take that course of action, but as expected, they chose not to in an act of good faith. General Manager Kevin Colbert updated the status of Wallace on Friday only to say that the team remains in talks with Wallace and his agent in hopes of getting a long-term deal done by the time training camp rolls around.

Wallace missed all of the Steelers off-season practices being as he is currently not under contract and not obligated to do so. He did stop by the Steelers facilities during the first week of OTA's to pick up his playbook and talk to several in the organization.

The Monday affirmation by Wallace that he will be with Steeler Nation in 2012 gives a little hope that he will be in camp on time, but it is in no way considered a guarantee. Wallace wants to be a Steeler long-term and the Steelers want the same thing.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_tweets_that_he_will_be_with_steeler_n ation_in_2012/11039363

OX1947
06-18-2012, 11:01 PM
I still believe public knowledge of salaries, who ever it is, has been a dumb thing. I wish they didn't through numbers publicly.

Bayz101
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I still believe public knowledge of salaries, who ever it is, has been a dumb thing. I wish they didn't through numbers publicly.

That's logical, but Logic is foreign to Mr. Goodell.

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Colbert says Steelers want Mike Wallace to get the deal he deserves

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 18, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/mikewallaceden-e1340033768751.jpg?w=250

The Steelers’ decision not to reduce the restricted free agent tender for receiver Mike Wallace was part of the franchise’s general belief that Wallace is a great player who deserves to be paid well, the team’s general manager says.

Kevin Colbert told 105.9 The X’s Mark Madden that the Steelers never gave any real consideration to dropping the tender offer.

“When we tendered Mike at the amount we did, the compensation through that tender, we really had no issue with that whatsoever because he is deserving of that,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Wallace, however, obviously thinks he deserves more than the $2.7 million restricted free agent tender, and that’s why he hasn’t signed it yet. Colbert said he still believes the Steelers and Wallace can reach a deal that’s acceptable to both sides.

“We want him to get a long-term deal that he deserves and I am real confident that we will be able to do that because when both sides want the same thing, it is only a matter of time,” Colbert said.

It remains to be seen how much time: Wallace and the Steelers may both want to get a contract done, but from all appearances they’re far apart on the financial details of that contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/18/colbert-says-steelers-want-mike-wallace-to-get-the-deal-he-deserves/

Steelers>NFL
06-19-2012, 08:18 AM
"Re: Taylor: Wallace frustrated with contract status "

Man, I am really frustrated that I have to work hard for a living. Deal with daily stress, of meeting customer's demand, at the same time do what's best for the company etc....
Everytime I see this subject title, I think "STFU already"....

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Steelers’ Mike Wallace could have a lengthy holdout

Jun18, 2012

Mike Wallace has yet to sign his 2.757 million dollar restricted free agent tender in search of a long term deal and while the Steelers have agreed not to slash his tender down to 577 thousand, which they now have to right to do because Wallace skipped minicamp, it’s still unknown when the two sides will come to terms on a long term deal. Wallace wants Larry Fitzgerald money and the Steelers don’t have the cap nor the desire to pay him that more.

Holding most of the leverage with Wallace essentially under contract inexpensively in 2012 and with the franchise tender reserved for him next offseason, the Steelers want Wallace to sign a deal more in the range of Vincent Jackson’s 55.5 million dollar deal over 5 years rather than the 8 year, 120 million dollar deal Larry Fitzgerald got.

According to the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, Wallace’s holdout will end later rather than sooner as they feel he could be prepared to sit out into Training Camp. If he does that, he could be fined a good amount of money and he would risk getting out of shape and having a down year like Chris Johnson and Darrelle Revis did in the last 2 seasons, but in search of a long term deal, it might be worth it for him. Unlike franchise tagged players, Wallace can still be signed to a long term deal after Training Camp starts.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_mike_wallace_could_have_a_lengthy_holdout/11042321

Steelers>NFL
06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Steelers’ Mike Wallace could have a lengthy holdout

Jun18, 2012

Mike Wallace has yet to sign his 2.757 million dollar restricted free agent tender in search of a long term deal and while the Steelers have agreed not to slash his tender down to 577 thousand, which they now have to right to do because Wallace skipped minicamp, it’s still unknown when the two sides will come to terms on a long term deal. Wallace wants Larry Fitzgerald money and the Steelers don’t have the cap nor the desire to pay him that more.

Holding most of the leverage with Wallace essentially under contract inexpensively in 2012 and with the franchise tender reserved for him next offseason, the Steelers want Wallace to sign a deal more in the range of Vincent Jackson’s 55.5 million dollar deal over 5 years rather than the 8 year, 120 million dollar deal Larry Fitzgerald got.

According to the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette, Wallace’s holdout will end later rather than sooner as they feel he could be prepared to sit out into Training Camp. If he does that, he could be fined a good amount of money and he would risk getting out of shape and having a down year like Chris Johnson and Darrelle Revis did in the last 2 seasons, but in search of a long term deal, it might be worth it for him. Unlike franchise tagged players, Wallace can still be signed to a long term deal after Training Camp starts.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_mike_wallace_could_have_a_lengthy_holdout/11042321

If this is true. Then trade him! Now you can get a 1st round pick for him.

tanda10506
06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
IF the Steelers are offering him 50 million for 5 years and he REALLY thinks he's worth more then that then he can walk. We don't need an ego like that and IMO it shows immaturity. If he actually thinks he is already as good as Fitz then he will likely plateau and/or drop soon in his career. Players like Fitz, probably the best WR in football, stay humble and work hard to get better no matter how good they are. Players with the attitude Wallace seems to have usually don't, because who needs to practice when you've became the best WR in the NFL in just 3 years right? I thought asking for Fitz money was done to keep other teams uninterested. If the article is completely correct then we should get something for him now while we can before he lowers his value by showing his inflated ego by holding out. Im all for players getting paid their due and doing what it requires to get that money when it's logical and deserved. Paying Fitz money to a WR who is still in their first contract, who dissapeared the second half of last season, and who has an evidently large ego, is neither logical or deserving.

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Let's keep in mind that we've never heard from Wallace. Everything said on his behalf is through the media, and none of that appears to be anything intentionally 'leaked' by Wallace's camp, meaning it's not meant to be public knowledge. Wallace apparently doesn't get to reap the benefits of anonymity afforded to so many other players during their contract negotiations. We also really don't know how negotiations actually work. For all we know, it could be customary for players to shoot for the sky like that in the opening rounds of negotiations (especially if they have greedy agents). That is if the original story that Matt Barrows wrote back in March was true. Even Barrows at the time noted in his article though that "maybe that's his strategy", namely to shoot for unrestricted free agency next year. But of course, if that were the case, that raises the question of why he didn't just sign the tender. But we don't know what he's actually asking the Steelers to pay him, and we don't know what the Steelers are offering him.

Also, that article says the "holdout will end later rather than sooner"...considering there's nothing to hold out from between minicamp and training camp, I'm not sure if that's an entirely accurate statement. I believe he's also wrong about franchise players being unable to sign a long term deal during training camp, and wrong about the team being able to fine Wallace for not attending training camp if he doesn't, because he is not under contract right now. He has an offer, but he's not under contract until he signs it. I guess he can technically be considered something like an exclusive rights free agent right now?

Fire Arians
06-19-2012, 10:27 PM
IF the Steelers are offering him 50 million for 5 years and he REALLY thinks he's worth more then that then he can walk.

seconded

TheVet
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
IF the Steelers are offering him 50 million for 5 years and he REALLY thinks he's worth more then that then he can walk.
seconded
That seems like a very nice offer for what Wallace has attained so far. I wouldn't want to see him walk, but I wouldn't want the Steelers to overpay, either.

My apologies to anyone who is offended by my opinion on this internet forum.

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
You might as well save yourself the trouble and put your disclaimer in your signature, no?

Wallace108
06-20-2012, 01:36 AM
If this is true. Then trade him! Now you can get a 1st round pick for him.

That article was written by a blogger, not someone with any insight into the negotiations. To the best of my knowledge, no one knows what Wallace has asked for or what the Steelers have offered. Hopefully, there's not too big of a gap in what he wants and what they're able and willing to pay.

ANDYMISIU
06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Wallace is only hurting himself and his teammates at this point. I'm extremely disappointed in how Wallace is handling this situation. Bottom line, he's scared. He knows Brown is going to outshine him this year and he's trying to get paid before it happens.

Wallace had 800 yds and 5 TD's in the first 8 games of last year. Wallace only had 393 yds and 3 TD's during the last 8 games of the year.

Antonio Brown had 431 yds and 1 TD in the first 8 games of last year. Brown had 677 yds and 1 TD during the last 8 games of the year.

Now, I'm not sure the Steelers are looking closely at this and asking themselves "who do we give the big contract?" but they might be.

I just think Wallace is being selfish and hurting his team at this point. He has to know there is nothing he can do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Ricardisimo: El-Gonzo Jackson frustrated with Wallace contract status threads

In a less than shocking revalation, Steelersfever curmudgeon El-Gonzo Jackson:old: has become frustrated with the obsession with Mike Wallace and threads about his contract. GM Kevin Colbert has said publicly that he believes they can sign Wallace long term. Wallace has allegedly tweeted to his followers not to believe everthing they read in the media and that things are fine. Yet, many on the message boards have taken to bashing or defending Wallace.:coffee:

When reached for comment, Jackson said: " I cant wait for training camp to start" and " I'm out of preparation-H and these hurt".:moon:

Fire Arians
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

In a less than shocking revalation, Steelersfever curmudgeon El-Gonzo Jackson:old: has become frustrated with the obsession with Mike Wallace and threads about his contract. GM Kevin Colbert has said publicly that he believes they can sign Wallace long term. Wallace has allegedly tweeted to his followers not to believe everthing they read in the media and that things are fine. Yet, many on the message boards have taken to bashing or defending Wallace.:coffee:

When reached for comment, Jackson said: " I cant wait for training camp to start" and " I'm out of preparation-H and these hurt".:moon:

:chuckle:

Steelersfan87
06-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Thank you. He also tweeted that he will be with the Steelers this year (as thought there was any question of that).

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Ike Taylor believes Mike Wallace will show up for camp

JUN24, 2012 WRITTEN BY PAUL JACKIEWICZ

http://profootballzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/mike-wallace4.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor told the New Orleans Times-Picayune that he believes that his teammate, wide receiver Mike Wallace will show up for training camp.

“He’s going to be there (training camp),” Taylor told Albert Buford of The Times-Picayune on Saturday. “They’ll get it done. When you talk about that kind of money, it’s not an overnight type of deal. By the end of the day, I think for sure he’s going to get that thing done. Both sides are working together, so that’s a good thing.”

I don’t see Wallace staging any type of long hold out. At the end of the day if a deal doesn’t get done, he’ll sign his restricted free agent tender and show up before the regular season.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ike_taylor_believes_mike_wallace_will_show_up_for_ camp/11080949