PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds Faces Make-or-break Season Of Sorts

Hawaii 5-0
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Jason Worilds Faces Make-or-break Season Of Sorts

Thursday, May 31st, 2012
By Cian Fahey

Earlier this off-season, there was some talk on this site about Jason Worilds possibly moving from outside linebacker into the middle of the field. Nothing appears to have developed further on that end, although it is still ridiculously early to even contemplate what the Steelers will do for the beginning of this football year.

I was never on board with Worilds as an inside backer but I do believe the pressure should be cranked up on the youngster this year. The former Virginia Tech defensive end is entering his third season with the Steelers. He has notched five sacks and seven starts so far.

With James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley ahead of him, Worilds doesn't get many opportunities to prove his value on the field, but injuries did give us an insight into his development last year. Impressing a crowd that is used to the standards set by Woodley and Harrison is not easy and Worilds didn't do himself that many favors last year.

Worilds had three sacks for the season. Each sack came in a game that the Steelers comfortably won against the Kansas City Chiefs and Cleveland Browns. Two of his sacks were coverage sacks while the other was a hail mary play when Colt McCoy's happy feet caused the sack as much as Worilds' pass rushing ability did.

Those instances do speak to his motor and determination to make plays on the field, but one must wonder why he didn't make a greater impact for the Steelers. That is not to say that he was a bad player, Worilds was good against the run and adequate when asked to drop into coverage.

He fit in well with the defense on the whole.

However, he was drafted in the second round because of his ability to impact football games. Worilds came out of college with 15 career sacks and 34 tackles for loss. On the field at the professional level however, Worilds was often swallowed up by offensive tackles.

It is obvious that he needs to develop better pass rushing skills and possibly add some bulk to properly compete in the trenches. Those are aspects of the game that can be learned from the Steelers' coaching staff.

Personally, I'm not too worried about Worilds ability to develop as a pass rusher. He showed during last season that he has worked enough to fit comfortably into the Steelers' scheme. That is something that a guy like Bruce Davis never did in the past before he was released.

What does worry me about Worilds is his always lengthening injury list.

Last year he missed time for the Steelers before getting into the starting lineup, while he also entered camp this year with a possible broken thumb. Nothing is guaranteed for Worilds, he has to be healthy to prove himself as Harrison's successor.

This year is going to be key for him. In an ideal world, Worilds will force his way onto the field and make an impact as a situational pass rusher in specific packages while Harrison continues to play to an all-pro level.

Worilds needs to show that he can play that kind of Aldon Smith/Antwan Barnes role. He doesn't need to dominate to the same degree that those guys do but he does have to show more flashes. It would be difficult for the Steelers to go back to a Clark Haggans after playing with Harrison and Woodley for so long.

If Worilds is more of a Haggans than Woodley or Harrison, then the Steelers may be thinking linebacker early again in the draft next year.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/roethlisberger_says_offense_will_run_more_in_2012_ so_fans_should_be_happy/10911539

steeltheone
05-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Not everybody is going to be all pro...We could do alot worse than Haggans......The question is can he even be as good as Haggans/

austinfrench76
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I agree. Is he even as good as Haggans?? So far he has not shown much and he is always injured. Hard to do much when practice time gets eaten up by All Pro's though.

Fire Arians
06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
beats me but this guy seems like he's always injured. I don't really have high hopes for him, though he has shown a few flashes that he could be a disruptive player.

VaDave
06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
From what I've seen, if he can get his pass rush together, it would be awesome. He's actually just a bit better than Woodley on everything else.

tony hipchest
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
It would be difficult for the Steelers to go back to a Clark Haggans after playing with Harrison and Woodley for so long.

this is definitely a great point, but i'm willing to accept it may just take some players a bit longer to come around than others.

plus opportunity presented itself to woodley sooner than it did to someone like timmons. i think alot of steelerfans would be much happier if woodley were our 1st round pick from that year and timmons were our second. not that it coulda actually played out that way, but because it would be easier for them to reconcile with.

sanders is kinda in the same boat.

Hawaii 5-0
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
From what I've seen, if he can get his pass rush together, it would be awesome. He's actually just a bit better than Woodley on everything else.

I don't think Worilds is better than Woodley in anything and certainly not against the run.

steeltheone
06-02-2012, 12:06 AM

What?

pete74
06-02-2012, 05:35 AM

not even close. he isnt even close to Woodley. Woodley is a Pro Bowl caliber OLB and Worilds is a backup that may be out of work if he dosnt step it up this season

FrancoLambert
06-02-2012, 08:47 AM

:doh: :noidea: :toofunny: :banging: :rofl:
How did you arrive at your conclusion?
Where's your proof? What have you seen that none of us have?

TRH
06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
This should be the year. I hope he steps up and is a break-out player. He has the abiltiy to do it.

Galax Steeler
06-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I really like Worilds watched him play alot at Va Tech. I think he will step it up this year he has a motor on him and can get after the quarterback. I don't see him going anywhere.

VaDave
06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't think Worilds is better than Woodley in anything and certainly not against the run.

Have you taken a gander at Woodley's 3 tackles a game lifetime achievement award lately? That's Not exactly what I would call a run stopper, ESPECIALLY when teamed with Arron Smith most of his career.

BTW, Worilds had one more solo tackle last year than Woodley.

OK, so Woodley was hurt. Let's take a look at 2010 regular season: 50 tackles, 35 of which were solos. That works out to 3.18 tackles he is in on in a game out of 30+ defensive plays a game. It's worse when you think about his solos.

For this OUTSTANDING effort he was rewarded with a $65 MILLION dollar contract??? For 3 tackles a game???

I know I'm in the minority here, and don't expect many to agree with me, but IMO, Woodley is more than a bit over priced for his level of production. This year, watch for how many plays Lamar is out there playing patty cake with a tight end..... If that doesn't get it for you, start charting his stat line each game.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Have you taken a gander at Woodley's 3 tackles a game lifetime achievement award lately? That's Not exactly what I would call a run stopper, ESPECIALLY when teamed with Arron Smith most of his career.

OK, so Woodley was hurt. Let's take a look at 2010 regular season: 50 tackles, 35 of which were solos. That works out to 3.18 tackles he is in on in a game out of 30+ defensive plays a game. It's worse when you think about his solos.

For this OUTSTANDING effort he was rewarded with a $65 MILLION dollar contract??? For 3 tackles a game???

I know I'm in the minority here, and don't expect many to agree with me, but IMO, Woodley is more than a bit over priced for his level of production. This year, watch for how many plays Lamar is out there playing patty cake with a tight end..... If that doesn't get it for you, start charting his stat line each game.
terrell suggs got DPOY award and had only 70 tackles.50 solo...14 of those were sacks.
look at some of the other high profile, high price 3-4 OLBers
demarcus ware - 58 tackles ...47 solo
clay mathews - 50 tackles ....37 solo
cameron wake - 42 tackles ...37 solo

StainlessStill
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Woodley basically man's the edges and is responsible for backside containment when the play runs away from him. His job is to suck backs to the middle of the field and to be a threat on EVERY LEVEL as a pass-rusher in a pressured 3-4 system. With Woodley on the field at all times, no matter how many "solo stats" you want to throw out, intimidates offense's to make sure there is a body on him at ALL times around the edges. That threat ALONE is worth the price because he is simply one of the best OLB's in the 3-4 scheme just entering his prime. To call it otherwise is ridicules.

We sure missed that son of a bitch in that second Baltimore game. He eats Flacco for lunch and no doubt in my mind, would of been a contributor in finishing off Baltimore when needed because he was just getting started and had one helluva outing against N.E a week before.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Woodley basically man's the edges and is responsible for backside containment when the play runs away from him. His job is to suck backs to the middle of the field and to be a threat on EVERY LEVEL as a pass-rusher in a pressured 3-4 system. With Woodley on the field at all times, no matter how many "solo stats" you want to throw out, intimidates offense's to make sure there is a body on him at ALL times around the edges. That threat ALONE is worth the price because he is simply one of the best OLB's in the 3-4 scheme just entering his prime. To call it otherwise is ridicules.

We sure missed that son of a bitch in that second Baltimore game. He eats Flacco for lunch and no doubt in my mind, would of been a contributor in finishing off Baltimore when needed because he was just getting started and had one helluva outing against N.E a week before.

Good post.

It really annoys me when fans watch the stat sheet more than the football game. If anybody with some knowledge of close line play watched Woodley and Worilds this past season, they would see that Woodley plays with much better leverage against OT's in the run defense. That, and he uses that leverage so much better to his advantage in the pass rush and collapses the pocket.

Most fans just want to anoint the quickest OLB prospect as the best new talent, but never bother to see if the guy can play in close with OT's. Bruce Davis had one of the quickest short shuttle times in the NFL combine, but on film he ran around blockers because he wasnt strong enough to take them on. Bruce Irvin is that guy this year, but I really dont know what he has in his game when Joe Staley gets his hands on him.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Good post.

It really annoys me when fans watch the stat sheet more than the football game. If anybody with some knowledge of close line play watched Woodley and Worilds this past season, they would see that Woodley plays with much better leverage against OT's in the run defense. That, and he uses that leverage so much better to his advantage in the pass rush and collapses the pocket.

Most fans just want to anoint the quickest OLB prospect as the best new talent, but never bother to see if the guy can play in close with OT's. Bruce Davis had one of the quickest short shuttle times in the NFL combine, but on film he ran around blockers because he wasnt strong enough to take them on. Bruce Irvin is that guy this year, but I really dont know what he has in his game when Joe Staley gets his hands on him.
yup , i'd say he's spot on. we played a "monster" defense in high school , which was a variation of the 3-4. 3 down linemen, and to upright OLBers. but we were labeled DE's.,2 inside LBERS and the monster. i was the strong side DE so me and "the monster" (strong safety in the box.) lined up with the TE. my number one job was inside containment. keep the runners off the edge and funnel them inside to the monster and inside lbers.

Hawaii 5-0
06-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Report: Worilds Recovering From Wrist Surgery, Harrison Dealing With Inflamed Knee

Thursday, June 7th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers are wrapping up their third and final OTA session of the 2012 season on Thursday at Heinz Field and we finally have some clarity now as to why linebackers Jason Worilds and James Harrison have been sidelined.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports on Twitter that Worilds, who has not taken part in any of the three OTA sessions, is recovering from left wrist surgery. Kaboly did not say if the Steelers third year linebacker will be able to take part in the mandatory mini-camp next week or not, but odds are that he won't.

Harrison, who has reportedly not practiced since the Steelers first week of OTA's, is reportedly suffering from an inflamed knee. I speculated this past week that it might be his back that is giving him problems, but according to Kaboly, that is not the case. Thank God for that. Kaboly reported that Harrison is expected to participate in mini-camp next week and that he has been working on an elliptical machine in the meantime.

After three weeks of organized activities, the best news is that there has been no word of any serious injuries, however Kaboly did note on Wednesday that undrafted wide receiver Connor Dixon out of Duquesne University was spotted wearing a protective boot. On Thursday Kaboly also reported that second year tight end Weslye Saunders has been dealing with leg issues and is also wearing a protective boot.

UPDATE: Ed Bouchette now reports today that Dick LeBeau said that Harrison is all right and just has "a little bit of a pulled muscle." Harrison evidently told LeBeau that this is the best he has felt in three years according to Bouchette.

UPDATE 2: Worilds had Scapholunate diastasis surgery on his left wrist per Keith Butler.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/report-worilds-recovering-from-wrist-surgery-harrison-dealing-with-inflamed-knee/

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 02:04 AM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

In layman's terms: Worilds had a ligament tear between two bones inside the wrist. Surgery was required to reconstruct the ligament. the injury is called "Scapholunate Diastasis".

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 04:18 PM
By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Friday, June 15, 2012

Mini-thoughts, mini-observations of the Steelers' minicamp that concluded Thursday on the South Side ...

• James Harrison opened OTAs declaring himself healthy, then stayed off the field for most of the past three weeks. The new issue was fluid on the knee, which doesn't sound serious. But the old issue, the wonky back, still hasn't been silenced.

You OK with Jason Worilds replacing him?

Me neither.

http://triblive.com/sports/1991975-74/haley-redman-steelers-issue-mike-mini-past-roethlisberger-weeks-minicamp

JCPsteelers
06-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Uh we comfortably won the Kansas City game? I seem to recall Palko was throwing the ball at the 35 yard line down 4 with the game on the line.

I'm not impressed with Worilds. Doesn't seem that athletic enough to be a great OLB and doesn't have the power to be a bull rusher.

Hawaii 5-0
07-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Jason Worilds Should Be Ready By Training Camp & Expects To Stay Put Outside

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers third year outside line backer Jason Worilds was on Sirius XM NFL Radio two weeks ago to talk a little about his status for training camp and where he sees himself fitting into the defense this year.

The Virginia Tech product was asked about where he thought he currently was at in achieving his off-season goals. "Physically it is not where I want to be," said Worilds, who had had scapholunate diastasis surgery on his left wrist this past off-season. "I think I'm right on the cusp of that. I think this next month and a half will help me complete that goal. The rest from there is just getting into camp and playing ball."

Worilds was next asked by host Andrew Bogusch how the wrist was doing. "The wrist is doing fine," said Worilds. When pressed further by Bogusch if he would be ready in time for training camp, Worilds said, "Yeah, I should be ready by training camp."

Worilds admitted during the interview that it is difficult for him to crack the starting lineup this year with both LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison ahead him. "It's hard to crack that rotation," said Worilds. "But I think that last year I was able to go out there and kind of put a better foot forward and this year I'm looking forward to put my best foot forward."

It had been rumored earlier this off-season that the Steelers might look to move Worilds inside this year, but with the drafting of linebacker Sean Spence in the third round of the draft back in April, he is most assuredly going to stay put outside. Bogusch asked Worilds about that rumored move inside, and if it was still a possibility. "At this point I'm still an outside guy," said Worilds. "I rush the passer, I mean whatever it takes, so if I have to rush the passer from the inside spot, that's fine. I think the coaches understand that and they're going to put me and the defense in the best position that they play."

Worilds was unable to participate in the OTA sessions and mini-camp this year due to rehabbing his wrist, so the next thing that we will look for is if he will be cleared by the doctors to start practicing in practices when he reports to Latrobe later next month. If not cleared, he will start training camp on the active PUP list.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/jason-worilds-should-be-ready-by-training-camp-expects-to-stay-put-outside/

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Injured Steelers linebacker Worilds taking cautious approach

By Mark Kaboly
Wednesday, August 22, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=uHFJT v6peAGE9TSvjtlZec$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt9yrI3gKXdp7F fLdMDLRAoWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Jason Worilds called his offseason wrist surgery simply a “cleanup” and that he expects to be back “soon.” That was more than two months ago.

As the Steelers shifted their training camp from Latrobe to their South Side facilities, there’s still no timetable for when the outside linebacker will be back on the field.

“I am still day to day,” Worilds said. “It’s going to come sooner or later.”

The Steelers are hoping sooner, especially since the uncertainty of linebacker James Harrison for the season opener after undergoing knee surgery last week.

But Harrison’s cranky knee isn’t forcing the Steelers to change their plans of bringing along Worilds slowly after having surgery to repair a ligament tear between bones in his left wrist.

Worilds initially was injured early last season but continued to play.

Worilds insisted he hasn’t had a setback during his rehab.

“When you are healthy, you play,” he said. “We are just being cautious, and I am taking it one step at a time. Everybody wants to make sure when I go out there I am at full speed.”

Worilds has been relegated to working out with associate strength and conditioning coach Marcel Pastoor while continuing to be on the physically unable to perform list. If Worilds isn’t removed from the PUP list by the start of the season, he will miss at least the first six weeks.

“We need to get Jason Worilds back,” linebackers coach Keith Butler said.

Worilds was the Steelers’ second-round pick in 2010 out of Virginia Tech. He started six games for the injured LaMarr Woodley and one for James Harrison a season ago as he collected 37 tackles and three sacks without the luxury of an offseason due to the NFL labor dispute.

Butler is concerned that Worilds missed another summer of practices and training camp to continue his development.

“Last year, he really improved during the season, but he needs to build on that,” Butler said. “That’s why I’m eager to get him back so he can, hopefully, pick up where he left off because I thought he left off at a pretty good place last year. When he does come back, that gives me confidence about our depth at outside linebacker.”

In the interim, linebacker Chris Carter, who played in eight games last year as a rookie, has reaped the benefits of Worilds’ absence.

“My only concern is how quickly I can get better,” Carter said.

“Every day you want to get better, but you don’t want it to be a slow process. You want it to happen fast.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2452323-85/worilds-linebacker-steelers-season-injured-jason-surgery-taking-wrist-butler