PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Retirement Already Looking Good on Ward + more

mesaSteeler
06-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Ed: Retirement Already Looking Good on Ward
Friday, 01 June 2012 08:28
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116575-ed-retirement-already-looking-good-on-ward

Good morning,
Welcome to June and a rainy Friday in Pittsburgh. Steelers practices ended for the week, which we’re going to finish with some stuff:
--- Hines Ward has to be doubly happy he decided to retire now and not pursue to drag out his wonderful football career by another year. Will he make it in television? I thought Jerome Bettis would, but after three years they did not renew his contract. Tiki Barber was supposed to be the next big thing and he bombed. Ward has the smile, the charm, the smarts and the experience to make it. He had the courage to talk about controversial topics, even those on his own team.

One area where Ward will work on is his tendency to actually talk too much. He took that free speech stuff to heart. There were many times I had to jump in to ask another question. That will come because it will have to in the precisely timed world of television.
I think in the long run he will make it. He won’t fail for lack of trying, that is for sure.

--- That, however,is that for another Dancing With The Stars on rival ABC for Ward. They have an all-star dance scheduled with past winners and with Ward joining NBC, a rival network won’t help promote him. In some small way, I would suppose Ward is delighted at that too because he now does not have to go through all the training for the show.

--- Baron Batch was writing on Twitter the other night about the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries on the History television network while it was going on. I asked him about it, because I watched all three nights of the show too. He said he enjoys history and he’s read up on the Hatfields & McCoys. You have to love this kid.

--- No injuries yet after two weeks of what look to be pretty intense practices. Just saying.

--- These practices don’t look much different anymore in the spring than they do in the fall. They are not permitted to wear pads – we’re basically talking about one piece of equipment here, the shoulder pads, because they don’t wear any other pads anymore – in the spring. However, during regular-season practices now under the new CBA they are permitted to wear the full shoulder pads only 15 times, or about once a week. They can wear what they call shells, which are small shoulder pads. So, really, for most of the time the only differences between spring and fall practices are the number of players doing them – a 90-man roster now vs. the 61 (53 plus 8 practice squaders) during the season.

--- Emmanuel Sanders on Todd Haley’s offense: “It’s definitely fun for a young guy like me. I was only in Bruce Arians’ system two years so the change wasn’t that a big of a deal for me. But for Ben, a guy who has been in the NFL for nine years and been in the same offense, I can understand why it’s a little difficult. We’re definitely having fun. At the end of the day we have a new OC and we have to learn our plays in order to win next year and we have to complete passes, that is our goal.

--- And here is Antonio Brown on that offense: “We can be really good. It’ll start with blocking and making plays, run to set up the pass. We’re the ones to move the chains,’’ he said of the receivers. “but if the run is working, you got to do what you got to do to win.”

--- Just got off 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore, where many are upset at the large number of absentees of the Ravens in OTAs. They said there were about 20 missing this week, led by Ray Lewis. Here, many are upset over one missing Steelers player, Mike Wallace, I told them. What to make of why so many Ravens are missing? Hard to tell, as it is equally hard to determine if it will have any effect on them next season.
--- They are lining up tight ends all over the place in practices.

Heath Miller said, ‘I do know we’ve been asked to do a lot of things right now, whether it be out of the backfield, split out, normal tight end stuff. It’s exciting for us as a group.”
--- Another player I’d like to see retire as a Steeler: Dave Smith, so he can get closure from that “spike” on Monday Night Football in Kansas City 40 years later. Hey, as Kordell Stewart showed, it’s never too late.

--- YOU: seems some sports writers (not you) are implying that there friction between Ben and Haley. It’s almost seems like they want there to be? Your thoughts?
ME: I don’t know about the writers, but I do know the impression on talk radio is that there is friction. I haven’t seen that, haven’t heard it and have talked to some people who say there is not. However, you cannot blame talk radio or whoever else is writing/speaking/opining about it that they take Ben Roethlisberger’s words as a tip-off that there might be something wrong because they do sound like subtle complaints.

tony hipchest
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
However, you cannot blame talk radio or whoever else is writing/speaking/opining about it that they take Ben Roethlisberger’s words as a tip-off that there might be something wrong because they do sound like subtle complaints.

i talked to a deaf person who said it doesnt sound that way at all.

--- Baron Batch was writing on Twitter the other night about the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries on the History television network while it was going on. I asked him about it, because I watched all three nights of the show too. He said he enjoys history and he’s read up on the Hatfields & McCoys. You have to love this kid.

it was actually pretty cool reading some of it. he was posting in a thread much like us fans post in a gameday thread.

i think thats why he has such a large following of supporters, well wishers and fans (especially amongst the younger cyber techie social media crowd). he is an average joe schmo like the rest of us, with pretty normal and mundane interests (who likes interacting with regular people- hell, ive spoken to him briefly on the phone twice).

very easy to relate with. he just so happens to be a kick ass talented athelete as well. if he doesnt find success in the nfl, im sure he will do excellent in lifes other endeavors and be no worse for the wear.

Atlanta Dan
06-01-2012, 09:15 PM
However, you cannot blame talk radio or whoever else is writing/speaking/opining about it that they take Ben Roethlisberger’s words as a tip-off that there might be something wrong because they do sound like subtle complaints.

Ed.B. is just another hater looking to hate on Ben by taking what Ben says literally rather than deconstructing the text of Ben's comments to conclude Ben is only seeking to motivate himself

tony hipchest
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Ed.B. is just another hater looking to hate on Ben by taking what Ben says literally rather than deconstructing the text of Ben's comments to conclude Ben is only seeking to motivate himself:chuckle:

ed boulchitte cant be trusted. hes made up every story he's ever written.

mesaSteeler
06-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Eddie is still upset that his main squeeze the Airhead was booted out of town. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Eddie wants the Haley to fail.