PDA

View Full Version : 2012's most improved units: Steelers offensive line

Steelersfan87
06-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey guys,

A couple of days ago I mentioned that I just started writing about football for Examiner.com, and I posted an article about Isaac Redman in a thread about him. This time I wrote a massive article about the Steelers offensive line. The website doesn't like really long articles, so I divided it into 4 parts. Please check it out and spread it around on facebook and twitter for other Steelers fans to see. You can also subscribe to my articles (for free) by clicking the subscribe button beneath my name on one of the articles and writing in your email. It will just send you an email whenever I post something, but it helps me out in terms of my pay (which is not much). The more views and shares and stuff, the more I make, so I appreciate every bit. Thanks! Without further ado, here is the article:

2012's most improved units: Steelers offensive line - part 1 (http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-s-most-improved-units-steelers-offensive-line-part-1?cid=db_articles)

Every offseason, NFL teams around the league make changes to their roster in an effort to reach a universal goal: to make their team better. Some units more than others are targeted for improvement after a year of poor performance, and every year, teams throw a lot of bodies at that position of need, hoping the changes will stick and make the unit better. It is difficult to project how well these changes will improve those units, but, with the preponderance of the evidence, we can make some educated guesses as to which changes are most likely to be successful.

View slideshow: Steelers Pro Bowl Offensive Line
When considering their recent history of struggles and comparing that to the moves that the team has made during this offseason, it would be fair to project that the offensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers will be one of the most improved units in the 2012 season.

Bayz101
06-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I noticed you wrote about Vilma. I'm assuming your not exclusive to Pittsburgh?

TheVet
06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Doden, I'm totally mystified. Is that really you writing over on http://www.examiner.com, and if so, do you really believe what you're writing over there? What's the story?

To just take one snippet out of many, no way, no way, no way does the Doden Grav who has been posting here ever write anything like this:
Starks has largely been the left tackle by fiat since the injury to Marvel Smith in 2008 after losing his position at right tackle to Willie Colon. He was and still is an underachieving talent that lacks consistency, but had remained in his role largely due to a lack of competition.

I just can't come up with an explanation, other than trolling on one site or the other (not accusing you) - but seriously, WHTHFK? What's the story?

Steelersfan87
06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I noticed you wrote about Vilma. I'm assuming your not exclusive to Pittsburgh?

Yeah, there's already a Steelers Examiner (Christina Rivers who also writes for Steelers Depot), so I had to opt for something more universal.

Doden, I'm totally mystified. Is that really you writing over on http://www.examiner.com, and if so, do you really believe what you're writing over there? What's the story?

To just take one snippet out of many, no way, no way, no way does the Doden Grav who has been posting here ever write anything like this:

I just can't come up with an explanation, other than trolling on one site or the other (not accusing you) - but seriously, WHTHFK? What's the story?

Here's the story, and I explained this before: sometimes on this forum I'm forced to defend people and ideas that I don't necessarily think are great because I feel they're being unfairly denigrated in some way. When I'm writing these articles, I'm writing exactly what I think without the bias of having to contextualize it within a debate relative to other people's positions.

I guess you accidentally found out that you agree with me more than you think you did? :toofunny:

By the way, anybody that has twitter can follow me @NFLExaminer.

TheVet
06-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I guess you accidentally found out that you agree with me more than you think you did? :toofunny:

Actually, you seem to have switched your opinion on Max Starks to align with mine. In fact, you even used my words - "career undachiever" - the description you objected to so strenuously!

I love it, love it, love it - I can't remember the last time someone changed his mind on an internet form as a result of a debate - that makes me sort of a trailblazer!

Welcome aboard! Can't wait for you to write about our upgrade at OC - feel free to use anything I've said here for that one, and I'll be happy to provide more!!!!!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Here's the story, and I explained this before: sometimes on this forum I'm forced to defend people and ideas that I don't necessarily think are great because I feel they're being unfairly denigrated in some way.

so even sometimes when you don't believe something yourself you just like to play devil's advocate?

Steelersfan87
06-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Actually, you seem to have switched your opinion on Max Starks to align with mine. In fact, you even used my words - "career undachiever" - the description you objected to so strenuously!

I love it, love it, love it - I can't remember the last time someone changed his mind on an internet form as a result of a debate - that makes me sort of a trailblazer!

Welcome aboard! Can't wait for you to write about our upgrade at OC - feel free to use anything I've said here for that one, and I'll be happy to provide more!!!!!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

I didn't change my mind. He is a career underachiever, and I said so before. But I disagree with you about what an underachiever is actually capable of. He was a 3rd round pick precisely because his raw talent outmatched what you actually see on the field. For the record, I still think Max Starks is a reasonable option at tackle, but he's not a Pro Bowler by any means.

Edit: In fact, here's what I said about Starks a few weeks back:

I am far from a "big Max Starks fan". I consider him to be an average yet capable, inconsistent tackle that can play on either end. I also believe that he is an underachiever.

So yeah, sorry, but you didn't "convert" me. ;)

so even sometimes when you don't believe something yourself you just like to play devil's advocate?

No, not devil's advocate. What I meant was not that I would argue a position that I didn't actually hold, but that my position would be (or seem) stretched or exaggerated in comparison to what whoever I'm discussing with is saying. The Starks thing is a perfect example. TheVet and others got the impression that I'm this big Max Starks fan that thinks he should be in the Pro Bowl because I was defending him, when in reality I just think he's a decent tackle with position flexibility who is a little inconsistent and overall should actually be better than he is based on his size and skill set. Bottom line for this year is that I'd like to see him back as the 3rd tackle to replace Jonathan Scott, and to step in for Mike Adams if he stumbles at LT early on.

TheVet
06-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Doddens, to be honest, this is just too strange to even know what to say. It's like two completely different people. Are you trolling here? If not, what?

Steelersfan87
06-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I quoted myself from May 18th calling Max Starks an underachiever. I don't know what else to tell you, man. You must have read me wrong the first time.

tony hipchest
06-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Doddens, to be honest, this is just too strange to even know what to say. It's like two completely different people. Are you trolling here? If not, what?i dont think he's trolling, and ive seen alot of trolls on this site in the past 7 years.

IMO there is nothing wrong with taking up a stance or a side in the name of debate and sticking to ones guns (as long as all dialogue falls w/in the confines of the COC).

ive done it plenty of times.

hell. last election cycle just about every republican hated me and swore i was an obama deciple. :noidea:

currently there is a faction of this board that think i hate big ben simply because i believe he needs to quit trying to be jim carrey, shut the **** up, and embrace his new playbook.

i dont hate ben. and i dont think obama is the greatest thing since sliced bread. its just the way things can be perceived on a public forum.

MACH1
06-03-2012, 01:34 AM
hell. last election cycle just about every republican hated me and swore i was an obama deciple.

Need some more koolaid. :wink02:

and hater.

TheVet
06-03-2012, 01:38 AM
I quoted myself from May 18th calling Max Starks an underachiever. I don't know what else to tell you, man. You must have read me wrong the first time.

If you take both sides of the debate, I guess you'll be able to find a quote that backs up either side. Just for fun, why not quote one of your posts blasting others for calling Starks an underachiever?

IMO there is nothing wrong with taking up a stance or a side in the name of debate and sticking to ones guns (as long as all dialogue falls w/in the confines of the COC).

Sure, nothing wrong with that. But if he takes opposing sides in different threads just for the sake of argument, what does that do to his credibility? I guess we're all here for fun, so whatever. But to me, that's a pretty strange hobby (if it's not trolling).

Steelersfan87
06-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Pretty sure I never denied that he was an underachiever. You were coming down on him way harder than that in the past. Anyway, how about we talk about the article? Did you check out the slide show? I think it's pretty cool to see some of the more talented players the Steelers have had in the trenches over the years in one place. I have some football cards of Webster and Kolb from the 70s - pretty cool.

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 03:41 AM
Dodens, to be honest, this is just too strange to even know what to say. It's like two completely different people. Are you trolling here? If not, what?

nah, Dodens is not a troll. he's actually quite intelligent and a very good poster, he just likes to argue sometimes for the sake of arguing which is fine on a message board such as this.

Galax Steeler
06-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I see nothing wrong with a good debate. Everyone has opinions and not everyone will agree with ones opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-03-2012, 09:03 AM
nah, Dodens is not a troll. he's actually quite intelligent and a very good poster, he just likes to argue sometimes for the sake of arguing which is fine on a message board such as this.

Kind of reminds me of the buckeye Guru.

Steelersfan87
06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I have some interesting ideas for other Steelers related articles in the near future, although obviously I can't just write about them all the time.

TheVet
06-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Well anyway, I agree with your most recent take on Starks, and if I contributed a bit to that viewpoint, that makes me very happy. It was a good article.

As for future ideas, I'd be interested in seeing an article about the OC change from Arians to Haley, and I'd love to see an upbeat, pro-change, approach to the topic. I'll happily encourage you in that direction, if you'd like to discuss.

Steelersfan87
06-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, my next article is about the Ravens (so I posted it in the NFL forum here (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=1014804#post1014804)), but I have a feeling it will be up Steelers fans' alley. Check it out. Here's an excerpt:

2012's most weakened units: Ravens linebackers (http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-s-most-weakened-units-ravens-linebackers)

The Baltimore Ravens linebackers will be among the most weakened units in the NFL in 2012.

When current New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan vacated the Ravens’ defensive coordinator position heading into the 2009 season, the team replaced him with Greg Mattison, a career collegiate football coach who had only joined the coaching staff the year before as the linebackers coach. Historically a ferocious and aggressive unit, the Ravens defense, led by their linebackers, managed only 59 sacks in two regular seasons under Mattison, who vacated his position for the 2011 season to return to the college ranks.

With the departure of Mattison, the Ravens replaced him from within, promoting Chuck Pagano to the role of defensive coordinator. Under Pagano, who had been the team’s secondary coach for the past 3 seasons, the defensive unit returned to a much more aggressive and blitz-oriented style of play, netting 48 sacks on the season, and the linebackers in particular had one of their better seasons in recent years.

tony hipchest
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, my next article is about the Ravens (so I posted it in the NFL forum here (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=1014804#post1014804)), but I have a feeling it will be up Steelers fans' alley. Check it out. Here's an excerpt:

2012's most weakened units: Ravens linebackers (http://www.examiner.com/article/2012-s-most-weakened-units-ravens-linebackers)

you prob dont need help, but i think a good non steelers article would be the investigation of why ben and eli have found so much success, yet rivers, has repeatedly come up short in the worst way. most would say because of supporting cast, but his team has almost always been called one of the most talented and repeatedly picked by prognosticators as an AFC fav in the SB (sounds an awful lot like the cowboys who also run the norv turner system :scratchchin:).