PDA

View Full Version : Around the NFL: Browns window of ending misery to Steelers could be opening

Buddha Bus
06-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Around the NFL: Browns window of ending misery to Steelers could be opening
By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff writer

If a team builds through the draft ... If the building superintendent has a clue ...

If Tom Heckert’s three offseasons of rounding up a new roster is to bear fruit ...

It’s just about time for the Browns to catch up to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It has been time.

On Sept. 17, 2000, rookie No. 1 overall pick Courtney Brown sacked Steelers quarterback Kent Graham on the last play of the game to seal a 23-20 Browns win.

Since then, Cleveland’s record in the Pittsburgh series is 2-22.

Some things are half past pathetic — 2-22 is much worse than that.

The concept of catching up to Pittsburgh began turning into a manifestation within the last half year.

On Dec. 8 at Pittsburgh, the Browns had a first-and-goal late in the fourth quarter, trailing 7-3.

On Jan. 1 in Cleveland, they led Pittsburgh 6-3 at halftime and lost 13-9.

Defeats, yes. But this wasn’t the same as getting their ears boxed on Christmas Eve, 2006, the day no Browns fans were left to see James Harrison spike a drunken fan who staggered across the field.

(Read More:) http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1842809199/Around-the-NFL-Browns-window-of-ending-misery-to-Steelers-could-be-opening

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

Ahhhh, hope truly does spring eternal... even in the most unlikely of places. Cleveland being one of those places. Keep on dreaming Brownie fans. There are only 3 things in life that are guaranteed.... death, taxes, and the Pittsburgh Steelers kicking the shit out of your Brownstains twice a year!

It's OK, though, Cleveland-ites. You can keep drinking that orange Kool-Aid all you want, but be warned that Mike Holmgren is your Reverend Jim Jones and he's building your "Eden" in his imagination. How do you expect to begin gaining ground on the greatest franchise in professional sports when you draft a bust for a QB every other year and allow him to be shellshocked by our dominating defense before moving on to draft the next sacrificial lamb?

Poor Browns fans. You really have to feel some pity for them considering their team actually plays in Baltimore after they couldn't keep them in town. Now they are saddled with a punch-line of a team wearing the same colors masquerading as the Browns and an NFL caliber team when they clearly aren't. It kind of reminds me of when they made the prequel to the movie "Dumb and Dumber", "Dumb and Dumberer", with the different actors playing the lead roles. Yeah, they were still dumb as bricks, but on a whole different level of stupid and much worse in entertainment value.

Well, maybe a couple more curb-stompings of monumental proportions this season by the Steelers will finally convince the Browns fans to put down the tainted Kool-Aid, admit they were wrong, and leave their suicide-cult for the greener pastures of the Cincinnati Bengals. At least they give their fans hope once every decade with a decent season and a playoff appearance before they crush their fans' souls by choking in a big game. Better to have loved and lost.......

MODS: If you need to move this to the NFL section, that's cool. I just thought since they mention catching up to the Steelers I'd put it in the Steelers section. -Buddha

Kingmagyar
06-03-2012, 09:08 AM
If the Browns don't put a concussed Colt McCoy back in that game where he threw an INT upon his return and keep Seneca Wallace out there they more then likely beat us. That was too close for comfort against a pretty bad team. Probably one of the main reasons BA was fired.

Galax Steeler
06-03-2012, 09:14 AM
The Browns are Browns and until they start beating us I am going to set back and watch us own them as usual.

TRH
06-03-2012, 09:26 AM
...this happens EVERY year...like clockwork.

Poor teams draft a couple of great college players and BAM!....their problems are all solved and they're on their way to nothing but success.
Then injuries happen...players don't work out...teamwork is missing...other teams (who also drafted, by the way) continue to get better....and on and on.
We hear this every year. I remember when Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow signed and the Cleveland fans were rejoicing because it wa the end of the Steelers. Then Derek Anderson had one or two good games and he was the 2nd coming of Tom Brady. And look what happened.

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.ablazeservices.com/ibleedblackngold/steelersnewpics/cleveland_browns_still_suck.jpg

Steelers>NFL
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rof l::rofl::rofl::rofl::

Steelers>NFL
06-03-2012, 12:46 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:::rofl::ro fl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Millers the sh!t
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
If the Browns don't put a concussed Colt McCoy back in that game where he threw an INT upon his return and keep Seneca Wallace out there they more then likely beat us. That was too close for comfort against a pretty bad team. Probably one of the main reasons BA was fired.

Yeah, it took pouncey, Ben, going out of the game with injuries, plus 2 redzone fumbles by two of the most sure handed players on the team (ward, and miller) for us to have a close call.

I don't like if's/butts. A friend of mine is all about if's and butts. In his head he wins all games, flag football, poker, paintball, magic etc. if this or that would have happened. Not saying ur tht type of person, but what happened, happened and it's impossible to come to any other conclusion. I still think we would have won even with Wallace at QB.

Buddha Bus
06-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, it took pouncey, Ben, going out of the game with injuries, plus 2 redzone fumbles by two of the most sure handed players on the team (ward, and miller) for us to have a close call.

I don't like if's/butts. A friend of mine is all about if's and butts. In his head he wins all games, flag football, poker, paintball, magic etc. if this or that would have happened. Not saying ur tht type of person, but what happened, happened and it's impossible to come to any other conclusion. I still think we would have won even with Wallace at QB.

"What if the moon was your car and Jupiter was your hairbrush?" :chuckle:

Bonus points to whoever guesses where that quote came from.

StainlessStill
06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Since the Browns have come back in 1999, they've beaten us 4 times. 4 times in 12 years, which makes them 4-20 overall against us, including 0-1 in the playoffs.

Talk to me when their somewhat relevant because "almost beating us" simply isn't enough to be recognized.

Buddha Bus
06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Talk to me when their somewhat relevant because "almost beating us" simply isn't enough to be recognized.

Almost beating us is as close as they'll get to a Super Bowl. Imagine if they started dumping Gatorade on each other for only losing to us by a late field goal. :sofunny:

fer522
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.ablazeservices.com/ibleedblackngold/steelersnewpics/cleveland_browns_still_suck.jpg

what he said:chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/483-Browns-Patience.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
"What if the moon was your car and Jupiter was your hairbrush?" :chuckle:

Bonus points to whoever guesses where that quote came from.
the office

Buddha Bus
06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
the office

Bingo! We have a winner! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
06-03-2012, 06:25 PM
If the Browns don't put a concussed Colt McCoy back in that game where he threw an INT upon his return and keep Seneca Wallace out there they more then likely beat us. That was too close for comfort against a pretty bad team. Probably one of the main reasons BA was fired.now that the dispshit who couldnt figure out clevelands ingenius defense is gone, we can get back to killing the browns 45-6, like how it should be.

MasterOfPuppets
06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
now that the dispshit who couldnt figure out clevelands ingenius defense is gone, we can get back to killing the browns 45-6, like how it should be.
can i get an amen ??? :tt03:

Bayz101
06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
can i get an amen ??? :tt03:

Shalom! :sofunny:

TheVet
06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
now that the dispshit who couldnt figure out clevelands ingenius defense is gone, we can get back to killing the browns 45-6, like how it should be.

That's what I'm thinking!

If you look around the NFL, you'll notice this strange pattern - contenders CRUSH weak teams, with the exception of ... well cough, cough, ahem, cough, cough, ... :banging:

Things gonna be different this year, coming to a stadium near you ...
:tt04:

tanda10506
06-04-2012, 01:06 AM

Hell yeah! We won't be playing down any longer. When we play down it's usually because the offense only plays the first half IF THAT and then the defense is on the field the whole rest of the game, that won't be the case anymore. As for the Browns catching up to us, it will never happen, they will never beat us twice or in the playoffs (which they might make once in the next 8-10 years), the best chance they have is if we are playing in a low stakes game and we are missing Ben. Good players go to Cleveland all the time only to have their careers ruined, the team rarely ever improves.

Curtain_of_Steel
06-04-2012, 08:45 AM
So the Browns drafted players this year, how exactly hasthat worked out for them in past drafts?

I guess unfortunately the Steelers didnt draft anyone this year? The whole world stopped and watch the Browns?

StainlessStill
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Almost beating us is as close as they'll get to a Super Bowl. Imagine if they started dumping Gatorade on each other for only losing to us by a late field goal. :sofunny:

Holy shit dude you just made me piss myself from laughter. +1!:tt04:

stb_steeler
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

That would be a shame to waste all that gatorade...:wink02:

Fire Arians
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
i like trent richardson, but it's gonna take a lot more than him to beat us

Hawaii 5-0
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
the Browns new 28 year old QB who threw 3 interceptions against such powerhouses as UL-Lafayette and Iowa St last season should be able to come in and destroy NFL defenses without a problem in his rookie season.

here's what I predict will happen:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eSSdHxXeIsk/TLMr5-W618I/AAAAAAAAABg/jtS4idoz2ko/s1600/fan+throwing+bottle.jpghttp://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/12/cleveland-browns-lose.jpg

Ricco Suavez
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I am going to stir the pot here so get ready.

We are not the only team to "play down" to weaker teams. Green Bay lost first game to KC, Ravens lost to Titans and nearly to Arizona. I could go on and on, it happens every week to other teams also. We are so in tune to the Steelers we fail to notice that the NFL is really a league of parity for the most part. Even the so-called cellar dwellers play most teams tough and while I cannot quote exact percentage I would hazard to guess that most games fall in the range of 1-2 score difference.

As far as the offense leaving the defense on the field we did lead the league in Time of Possession last year. Hard to improve from 1st, but it is possible to increase the amount of time.

I believe we will be better as an offense this coming year but it is not going to be an overnight sensation. It may take time and some fans who are riding high right now with anticipation will be the first ones to moan and groan when we don't hit 30 points plus every game.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
I am going to stir the pot here so get ready.

We are not the only team to "play down" to weaker teams. Green Bay lost first game to KC, Ravens lost to Titans and nearly to Arizona. I could go on and on, it happens every week to other teams also. We are so in tune to the Steelers we fail to notice that the NFL is really a league of parity for the most part. Even the so-called cellar dwellers play most teams tough and while I cannot quote exact percentage I would hazard to guess that most games fall in the range of 1-2 score difference.

As far as the offense leaving the defense on the field we did lead the league in Time of Possession last year. Hard to improve from 1st, but it is possible to increase the amount of time.

I believe we will be better as an offense this coming year but it is not going to be an overnight sensation. It may take time and some fans who are riding high right now with anticipation will be the first ones to moan and groan when we don't hit 30 points plus every game.
you are absolutely correct... the colts were pretty much regarded by all as the "worst" team in the NFL, but yet 8 of their 14 loses were by 10 points or less. hell they only lost to the superbowl runner ups by 7 points.
the browns also lost 8 games by 10 points or less...6 of their loses were by 7 points or less ...3 loses by 3 points.

Buddha Bus
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Holy shit dude you just made me piss myself from laughter. +1!:tt04:

Watch it, buddy! I'm the only one who does the pissing around here! :monkey:

:chuckle:

That would be a shame to waste all that gatorade...:wink02:

Look at the bright side... at least they'll actually get a lemon/lime bath to wash some of the smell of shit off of them. :wink02:

stb_steeler
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/hashbrowns.jpg

Buddha Bus
06-05-2012, 04:20 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/Red_Right_88/hashbrowns.jpg

:shout: ATTENTION BROWNS FANS! Prepare to wear those same facial expressions for decades to come! That is all!

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
:shout: ATTENTION BROWNS FANS! Prepare to wear those same facial expressions for decades to come! That is all!

http://ilovemysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sad-browns-fanjpg-8a499ea9d188635d.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 02:15 PM

http://www.brownieman.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Rebuilding.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Weeden has the look of a franchise QB

JUN 6
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0530/play_g_weeden_b1_576.jpg

The Browns made 28-year-old Brandon Weeden the oldest first-round draft selection in NFL history.

BEREA, Ohio -- No one can say whether Brandon Weeden is going to lead the Cleveland Browns from the ranks of the worst teams in the NFL. No one, and this includes Mike Holmgren as well as Pat Shurmur, can declare that Weeden is going to stop the Browns' quarterback carousel that has spanned 16 starters since the city's return to the NFL in 1999.

But, after 40 days and 10 practices with the Browns, there is one assessment of Weeden that everyone can agree upon: The rookie first-round pick has the look of a franchise quarterback.

It only takes one practice to see how Weeden has the size and the arm to live up to that billing. The building excitement with Weeden comes from the fact that his potential extends beyond physical gifts.

He has the comfort level to tell quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple about a couple of red-zone plays he "wasn't a big fan of." He has the courage to throw a deep touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin after nearly getting picked off. He has the confidence to tell reporters about his goal of winning a Super Bowl even before taking a snap in a regular-season game.

While it's way too early to predict Weeden winning championships, he has brought hope to a franchise that has recorded 10 double-digit loss seasons and no playoff victories over the past 13 years. Everyone else in the AFC North went to the postseason last season, and everyone in the division has a franchise quarterback. The only way the Browns can get out of last place is to find one of their own. That's why Weeden is the crucial piece of the Holmgren era in Cleveland.

Browns officials haven't named Weeden the starter because they want him to earn the job. Technically, he's battling Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace. Unofficially, the Browns' mandatory minicamp this week has served more as a coronation than a competition.

Weeden took the first snaps with the starting offense throughout Tuesday's practice. He was the quarterback standing at the podium addressing reporters after the workout. He looks like "the guy" in Cleveland, even though Weeden himself refuses to acknowledge it.

"Not yet, just because nothing is formal," Weeden said. "We're still two months out until we play our first preseason game. I'm still working my tail off just to get better and keep learning. I'm getting more comfortable with what we are doing, but I still have a long ways to go."

The most overused term with Weeden is that he's mature. This has become a polite way to say Weeden is old. He'll turn 29 during the season, which makes him the Betty White of rookie quarterbacks.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0606/nfl_u_weeden_wm_200.jpg

From his big arm to his confidence, Brandon Weeden is the picture of the franchise QB the Browns are aching for.

The better description for Weeden is he's grounded. He hasn't been coddled like many first-round quarterbacks. He has tasted failure as a minor-league pitcher (he went 19-26 after being drafted in the same round as Joey Votto) and only became a winning quarterback at Oklahoma State after making the climb from a third-stringer.

Weeden understands what it takes to rebound from struggles, which will serve him well this year. All rookie quarterbacks make mistakes. The successful ones don't crumble from them.

Weeden's resiliency came through Tuesday when a miscommunication with Josh Cribbs led to an interception. He came right back to hit Mohamed Massaquoi on a deep cross pattern.

"I won't make that same mistake again and if I do, shame on me," he said "I think you guys will find I'm pretty even-keeled, but I think my track record shows -- I put that one behind me. They always say, 'Wash your hands and move on.' That's kind of the approach I take, and that comes from baseball. I gave up a lot of home runs in baseball and they're very similar. So you've just got to toe the rubber, you've got to take snaps and move on and make the next play."

Shurmur was reluctant to give any glowing remarks about Weeden on Tuesday. It was kind of a game to watch him turn questions specifically about Weeden into answers that addressed the entire quarterback group.

He was even hesitant to put a timetable on naming the starting quarterback. "I think it's important to do it as quickly as possible," Shurmur said. "But yet, it needs to happen at a pace where the guys here have a chance to compete."

If Weeden's progression since his first practice on May 11 is any indication, he'll be ready to start against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 9.

"I'm leap years farther along right now than I was obviously Day 1, Day 2," Weeden said. "I think even from rookie minicamp, where I'm at right now is that I look like two totally different quarterbacks -- in my footwork, and you can tell I'm processing stuff a little bit faster and I'm not thinking quite as much."

Weeden added, "When you stop thinking so much and you just react and go through your reads one, two, three to your back, that's when you start moving the ball down the field and start getting completions and first downs."

Moving the ball down the field in short chunks isn't Weeden's forte. What stood out about him in Tuesday's practice was the amount of deep shots he took.

"Sometimes in this West Coast offense it can get labeled as an underneath route, catch-and-run route [scheme]," Weeden said, "but any time you can really step into one and let it rip, that's fun."

Weeden is entering the NFL at a time when expectations for rookie quarterbacks are at an all-time high.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco led their teams to the playoffs in their first seasons in 2008. Mark Sanchez helped the Jets to the AFC championship as a rookie in 2009. And Cam Newton threw for over 4,000 yards and Andy Dalton went to the Pro Bowl last year.

This doesn't faze a quarterback like Weeden, who has already said he wants to win a Super Bowl before he's done playing.

"We put the pressure on ourselves to win games," Weeden said. "We want to get to the playoffs. We want to take our team as far as we can. That's the way good quarterbacks should think."

That's exactly the way franchise quarterbacks should talk.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49180/weeden-has-the-look-of-a-franchise-qb

steelfury02
06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
well, well, well, another red-headed QB, that makes a full house with Eddie Unibrow Munster in Bmore

Red Rifle is already taken so who will this guy be?

Bayz101
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Not sure if i'd take a 28 year-old rookie in the first round.

Buddha Bus
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Red Rifle is already taken so who will this guy be?

"The Ginger Cringer"? :hunch:

At least that's what they'll be calling him once Harrison and Woodley sandwich his red-headed ass a couple of times. :wink02:

Curtain_of_Steel
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
How will Weeden look on the DL, or when he is laying down on his back? Probably not as good as he does in that picture.