PDA

View Full Version : List of 'Not My Favorite Steelers' Includes Limas Sweed, Bruce Arians

Hawaii 5-0
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
List of 'Not My Favorite Steelers' Includes Limas Sweed, Bruce Arians

by 5020 on Jun 4, 2012

Another good talker, changed the headline but nothing else. My only commentary is making sure to point out "Neal" is not the same as "Neil," and for those who wonder why I get upset when the spellings are confused, I tell them to watch Super Bowl XXX. And interestingly, Kris Brown would rank very highly on my list as well. I tried to put a volleyball through the TV I watched that game on in 2001. It was my roommates' first experience with me during a Steelers game. Needless to say, I was dubbed "Wilson" for a little while. - nc

This is meant to be a fun post part two. There is no offense meant by it. It is my hope that all of the players that made this list are happy and healthy and enjoying their successful lives…somewhere other than Pittsburgh. If you are easily offended by someone else’s view of Steelers history or a snide remark cast at somebody that once wore black and gold please turn away now…The post is inspired by reports of Limas Sweed attempting a comeback with the Cincinnati Bengals and an array of other NFL teams hoping to cash in on his tremendous potential. You see to me, Limas is a player that I just never saw anything in other than potential and he almost always made me angry when he was on the field. Had I been Coach he would have been cut sooner. So here is my list of other players I would have cut sooner. Least Favorite Steelers…Please add your non favorites or feel free to defend these guys listed. And like the Steelers under Kent Graham, no offense. It’s all opinion anyway!

· Neil O’Donnell; I love big game players and Neil is my least favorite Steeler of all time. In my opinion he was a decent enough QB but he lacked intestinal fortitude. That is something that is a HUGE asset if you have it and a HUGE detriment if you don’t. Neil always seemed to complete 75% of his passes during the regular season and then become a deer in the headlights during post season. The resume…1992 O’Donnell (after beating out Bubby Brister…one of my favorite Steelers…for the starting QB spot) has home field throughout the playoffs thanks to Bubby winning 2 of the seasons last 3 for an injured O’Donnell. After a bye he puts up 7 points against Buffalo in a 24-7 home loss to the Bills. He doesn’t even attempt to throw one pass into the end zone in that game. 1993 O’Donnell again ousted in round 1 of the wild card round albeit to Joe Montana at KC. 1994…The AFCCG debacle at 3 Rivers. Only 13 points by the offense in a home Championship game against a HUGE underdog despite throwing for 349? The pass to Barry Foster at the 1 yard line on 4th and goal from the 3 that fell incomplete? Just like the first 3 downs at goal to go. And then XXX in 1995/1996. 3 picks. 2 of them with no Steeler receiver within 10 yards. Those that argue that O’Donnell’s receivers ran the wrong route…twice…can have that argument. It works during the regular season but not deep in the post season. My rule; In the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl with under 6 minutes to go, you better damn well know which way your receiver is cutting BEFORE you throw the ball. As stated lack of intestinal fortitude is a HUGE detriment.

· Cliff Stoudt; Cliff had the misfortune of following Terry Bradshaw. He sat on the bench and held a clip board charting plays in Bradshaw’s last couple seasons. This was good enough for a couple Super Bowl rings. When Bradshaw called an audible on the front office and went to the back woods of Louisiana for a botched elbow surgery, Stoudt became the starting QB. The Steelers defense in 1983 was stifling. The Steelers surged to a 9-2 record on the backs of the Steel Curtain’s last ride. Opposing offensive coordinators looking to avoid the Steel Heat went ultra conservative. They realized a punt on 4th down was better than a sack fumble or interception on 3rd down. As the games became close and the Steelers needed their QB to win games a losing streak entailed. Cliff Stoudt became a turn over machine. The Steelers coronation to the AFC Championship suddenly became rocky. The Steelers were staring at 9-5 and missing the playoffs. Bradshaw returned one last time, fittingly in Flushing. He showed the Steeler Nation the offense was not impotent just manned by the wrong conductor. Bradshaw effortlessly drove the Steelers down the field twice for TDs before leaving forever, grimacing and holding his elbow but elevating the Steelers into the playoffs. There, Stoudt hit Wayne Capers on a first series bomb setting up a 3-0 Steelers lead. The Raiders won 38-10. Stoudt was forever castigated as third rate. Cliff the Stiff and Stiff Drought would be his monikers. In an epilogue to his career Stoudt became a QB in the USFL and returned to Pittsburgh as a Birmingham Stallion. 50,000 crazed Steeler fans jammed into Three Rivers Stadium and pelted Cliff with snowballs for 4 quarters of a Stallion win. Some of them with better arms than Cliff.

· Kris Brown; Kris-Miss. Chrissie Brown. All those yards against Houston one Sunday and still a loss. All those missed field goals week in and week out when it mattered most. Especially at Heinz Field. I cringed every time they sent him on the field…kind of like Suisham. I didn’t like the guy we got after Brown either. But that disaster named Peterson led us to Jeff Reed. We were blessed with Gary Anderson for a decade. Jeff Reed was also a blessing we found in a tryout until his success got the better of him. I wonder if Skippy has sobered up and lost some weight. We could use him.

· DeWayne Washington; The free agent DB we got from the Vikings actually performed OK his first couple years. But later in his career as a starter he was outclassed by every receiver. After being regularly burned deep for several years Washington got near enough to Titan kicker Joe Nedney that Nedney was able to fake a running into the kicker penalty after an OT playoff miss. That Washington playoff gaffe allowed Nedney to kick from 5 yards closer and put the nail in the Steelers and Tommy Maddox heroic 2002 season.

· Harvey Clayton; Clayton was an undersized DB with the Steelers in the mid 80s during the dark ages after the 70s Title Run and before Cowher Power. It wasn’t his fault that he was so over matched. It was the front offices fault for not finding a better DB…What he lacked in size he made up for in slow footedness. His nickname was "Toast"

· Limas Sweed; I have to put Limas on this list because of all the grief I have taken on the BTSC pages for my lack of "Limas Love." I never disliked Limas enough to put him on a list until I was chastised (IMO unfairly) for "defaming" a guy who played for the beloved Steelers and dropped crucial passes in 2 playoff games. IMO, the Steelers live and die by the draft. I’m not a NCAA regular. When the Steelers drafted Limas Sweed I didn’t know who he was. I never saw him do anything at Latrobe and yet people seemed to be in love with his size, speed and soft hands….which I could understand at first. At a Los Angeles Lakers game at Staples Center one evening, my friend Michael Bean sang the praises of fellow Texans Limas Sweed and Tony Hills. MB is usually pretty spot on and I was rooting for both of them. Once the season started and he stopped feeling home sick Sweed caught 6 passes. In the biggest of playoff games on the biggest of stages Sweed dropped a sure TD against San Diego. Watch the tape. Then, the next week in the AFCCG with other WRs on the roster and deserving of playing time, the Steelers coaches had Sweed in the game again. He was running free in the Baltimore secondary again. Ben put the ball right in his hands again. Sweed dropped the ball…again. As he lay on the field agonizing over a dropped pass the Steelers were penalized. Had Flacco not thrown that pick to Troy late in the 4th quarter and instead led the Ravens to victory (like he did twice since 2008) Sweed would have been Bill Buckner & Neil O’Donnell all rolled into one. He dropped a pass during the regular season that would have beaten Cincinnati and put Pittsburgh in the playoffs in his second season just to convince the coaches to play another deserving athlete. Just because you are big and fast and a second round pick doesn’t mean you can play in the NFL. No matter how "good a kid" someone is and no matter how hard they try, at some point you have to let another deserving athlete have a chance to play….like a 6th round pick named Antonio. On a team where draft picks are the heart beat of the franchise Sweed was a wasted 2nd round pick.

· Aaron Jones; The only thing worse than a second round bust is a first round bust. This D lineman was a definite first round bust. He had a sack once in a playoff game and we all joked that he must have still been coming from the play before.

· Huey Richardson; Front Office…How could you whiff so horribly in round 1? I don’t think he made it out of Latrobe? At least Limas Sweed and Aaron Jones sniffed the field.

· Shaun Suisham; All right. So I don’t like kickers and I don’t like offensive coordinators. Sue me. I am happy to be wrong about this guy so far. As I stated before the 2011 season "Shaun Suisham will cost the Steelers a game in 2011 and I hope it is not in the playoffs." I was wrong in 2011 but 2012 is a new year.

· Gene Mingo; I didn’t really get to see Mingo play for the Steelers. I am too young. But I remember hating the kicking combo of Gerela/Walden growing up. I was told the tale of the Steelers kicker who struggled with extra points as opposed to our "extra point kicker" who struggles with field goals. JW 900 of the Crew thought Mingo’s first name was "Effing" until he was 10 years old because every time Mingo trotted out onto the field his dear old dad screamed "Effing Mingo!"

COACHES CORNER;

· Bruce Arians; He was a Cleveland Brown’s OC that somehow could not figure out how to run clock with a 24-7 lead late in the 3rd quarter of a playoff game. Looking to throw deep on every down Arians left too much time on the clock for journeyman Tommy Maddox who rallied the Steelers to a 36-33 win. I will never forget Chris Fu’amatu Ma’afala taking it in for a TD on his 4th and 3 as opposed to O’Donnell and his 4th and 3. As I stated…intestinal fortitude is a HUGE asset. Hired at Pittsburgh as a WR coach he ascended to OC through attrition. Arians then proceeded to produce game plan after game plan of hazy offensive scheming with no rhyme or reason or adjustments. Starting with the 2nd and 3rd down calls against Jacksonville in the 2007 playoff game continuing with hand-offs to Hines Ward at the goal line on 4th and short and ending with the lack of a potent red zone offense for all his years at Pittsburgh, Arians career at Pittsburgh rode Ben Roethlisberger’s coattails. He never seemed to make Ben or those around him better like some of the coaches on my favorite Steelers coaches list.

· Kevin Gilbride; I always liked Ron Erhardt and was disappointed to see Cowher let him go. Before Arians, Gilbride earned my wrath weekly. When fellow coach Buddy Ryan punched him on the sideline during a game I could totally understand Buddy’s frustration.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/4/3062680/not-my-favorite-steelers

Fire Arians
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
jonathan "rollerskates" scott not on that list? lol

pancake
06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Troy Edwards, hated the draft pick...

Buddha Bus
06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Where's Chad "Scorched Earth" Scott?

FrancoLambert
06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Kudos for nominating the "human turnstile" Scott.
If Haley doesn't work some magic, add David Johnson to the list.

tanda10506
06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Mine would go:

Neil O'Donnell
Chad Scott
Johnathan "why the f*ck is he still here" Scott
Bryant McFadden
Mitch "side foot" Berger
Most of our kickers including our current kicker

Arians would likely be the only coach on the list.

Galax Steeler
06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I have to say Neil O'Donnell and Duce Staley.

Edman
06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Chad Scott
Kordell Stewart (The Quarterback, Not Slash)
Lima Bean Sweed
Jon Scott the Traffic Cone
Chris "The Drive-Killer" Kemoeatu
Bad Play Willie Gay

Bruce Airhead is easily one of the worst assistant coaches in Steelers History. Don't remember much about Gilbride, but I remember Airhead very well. The Steelers won in spite of this douche.

WVABE
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I never liked Plexiglass and still can't stand him.
Neil Oops I threw it to a cowboy.
Merry Chris Miss, look mom my name is on a banner in baltimore.

4xSBChamps
06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Greg Hawthorne was a 1st round pick in the late 1970's, and during his first day at St. Vincent's, tore a hamstring while running sprints

his career never amounted to much, and his nick-name was 'Oh-my-hamstring' Hawthorne during his brief stay

40 years ago, the jury was still-out on a drawling, rifle-armed QB from Louisiana, whom the fans loved to jeer, but he eventually turned-out OK

pancake
06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
For some reason I always liked Chad Scott... :noidea:

TheVet
06-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Mitch Berger, lol. He absolutely belongs on this list.

Hey, we should really build the list by position.

OX1947
06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Troy Edwards, hated the draft pick...

The last first round bust the Steelers had.

Kingmagyar
06-05-2012, 10:59 PM
The worst for me ever by far, the guy I thought should be tied to a goal post and beaten with hoses was

Ricardo Coughley.

And when the Steelers give David Johnson lined up as a fullback an important carry of the football in an important game and he fumbles it because he's never executed a run in his entire career. He then will be at the top of my list.

Basically any guy this organization has had who is a weak link in the chain.

ricardisimo
06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Bubby Brister was one of his favorite Steelers? Fu’amatu Ma’afala had "intestinal fortitude"? :noidea:

Giving O'Donnell and DeWayne Washington grief is old, lame and stretching. Not a great editorial, pretty bad writer.

cubanstogie
06-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Too funny Arians is still a topic of conversation, although 99 percent on this board wanted him gone from the get go. He did coach his way to 2 SB's , winning one and the one that was lost was hardly his fault. Offensively both of his SB's much better than the win vs the Seahags, even though the o line was far worse under him. Results are what counts to me, not calling the plays and formations I like. Don't understand the hate even though his schemes were unlike the Steelers of old. You have to change with the times.

StainlessStill
06-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Players:

Kent Graham
Amos Zereoue
Jay Riemersma
Todd Peterson
Mitch Berger
Justin Hartwig
Brent Alexander
Alonzo Jackson
Richardo Colcough
Kendall Simmons
Anthony Smith

Coaches:

Tim Lewis
Kevin Spencer
Bruce Arians

StainlessStill
06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
For some reason I always liked Chad Scott... :noidea:

Me too. Even though after his rookie season when he f*cked up his leg and never fully recovered from it, he was absolutley MONEY at not only coming up with the interceptions, but also pick 6's. Even though towards the tail-end of his career he got burned on both sides of toast, you can't deny he was a ball-hawk. That he was.

TomBradyWearsUggsLOL
06-06-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm among the younger generation of fans here, but I'd like to add Carey Davis and Lee Mays. I'd even take David Johnson over Davis.

TheVet
06-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Too funny Arians is still a topic of conversation, although 99 percent on this board wanted him gone from the get go. He did coach his way to 2 SB's, winning one and the one that was lost was hardly his fault. Offensively both of his SB's much better than the win vs the Seahags, even though the o line was far worse under him. Results are what counts to me, not calling the plays and formations I like. Don't understand the hate even though his schemes were unlike the Steelers of old. You have to change with the times.

No, he really didn't "coach his way to two SBs". Those two immensely talented teams were somehow able to reach SBs despite Arians. Those were incredible accomplishments given the need to overcome such massive dead weight.

tanda10506
06-06-2012, 03:50 AM
No, he really didn't "coach his way to two SBs". Those two immensely talented teams were somehow able to reach SBs despite Arians. Those were incredible accomplishments given the need to overcome such massive dead weight.

This^

Buddha Bus
06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm among the younger generation of fans here, but I'd like to add Carey Davis and Lee Mays. I'd even take David Johnson over Davis.

How'd I forget Davis!?! :doh:

And since we're talking Davis, how about Bruce Davis?

Sprinkle in a little Sean Mahan while you're at it.

wera176
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
"· Shaun Suisham; All right. So I don’t like kickers and I don’t like offensive coordinators. Sue me. I am happy to be wrong about this guy so far. As I stated before the 2011 season "Shaun Suisham will cost the Steelers a game in 2011 and I hope it is not in the playoffs." I was wrong in 2011 but 2012 is a new year."

Warren Sapp, is this you?

casteeler
06-06-2012, 12:42 PM
William Gay
Limas Sweed
Dennis Dixon
oh did I already list William Gay?

GMU Steeler
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Haven't seen anyone name Chris Kemomatu yet. He wasn't a terrible blocker but he was a bonehead and had one too many unnecessary roughness penalties including one in the SB if memory serves. I see Mitch Berger has been named but what about the immortal Paul Ernster?

mesaSteeler
06-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Kent "The Statue" Graham
Lima Bean Sweed

Hawaii 5-0
06-07-2012, 12:50 AM
TUESDAY, JUNE 05, 2012

posted by Dale Lolley

Who is the worst Steelers player you've seen?

It's easy to pick out the best players you've seen over the years.

In the 19 seasons I've been covering the team, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Jerome Bettis, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Dermontti Dawson and Ben Roethlisberger stand out as some of the best I've seen.

That list could go on and on.

But who are the worst players to suit up for the Steelers. And I'm talking about guys who actually played and (tried to) contribute.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Fire Arians
06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Bryant "Toast" McFadden
Anthony "Toast" Smith
Dewayne "Toast" Washington

GMU Steeler
06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Bryant "Toast" McFadden
Anthony "Toast" Smith
Dewayne "Toast" Washington

McFadden was all right the first time, not so much the second. Smith was supposed to be Hope's replacement but it didn't work out that way. I still remember his infamous guarantee against the Patriots. I know it was blown out of proportion by the media but he should have been stoic but instead he gave Brady ammo and they killed us that day.

steelerchad
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I'll add a couple of backs who were suppossed to be great and ended up mostly frustrating me weekly.
Walter Abercrombie and Tim Worley.

truesteelerfan
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd add Mike Tomczak and Scott Shields

steelfury02
06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Brister
O'Donnell
Morris
Sweed
Zero Way
Colclough gave me a Strokely!
Butterfinger Burress
Fu
Kevin Greene
Arians counts as 10

MDSteel15
06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Chris Kemoeatu
Duce Staley
David Johnson
Troy Edwards
Carey Davis
Mark Malone
Bruce Davis

VaDave
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I actually had saw Gene Mingo kick. Oddly enough, he was not the worst football player on the field that day....that honor was shared by Dick Shiner and Kent Nix, two qb that combined din't have the arm strength of saking wet toliet paper......

On my list, Mingo being the headliner after barely eaking out the honor over Bruce Arians by an eyelash,

Kent Nix
John Reinstra
David Woodley, RIP
Huey Richardson
Bam Morris & TIm Worely equal billing( didn't they do background checks on players back then?, Or at least make them wiz in a bottle??)
Arron Jones, and finally,
The entire 1965 squad and coaches, with the exception of Dick Hoak

RE: Kevin Gilbride,

As hard as it is to believe, that turd has won two superbowls as OC with the Giants..... got to give him some props, but man, he was worthless here in the Burgh.

4xSBChamps
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
I actually had saw Gene Mingo kick.

there's a blast-from-the-past... how-about Booth Lusteg, who went 26 of 29 PAT, and made 8 in 20 FG attempts (2 of 7 between 30 & 39 yards) in 1968