PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense

mesaSteeler
06-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense, his Grasp on the System and his Chance to Start at RB
June 8, 2012 – 10:00 am by Brad Gagnon
http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/06/08/ike-redman-talks-about-the-advantages-of-pittsburghs-new-offense-his-grasp-on-the-system-and-his-chance-to-start-at-rb/

The Pittsburgh Steelers offense is going through plenty of changes this offseason. Not only do the Steelers have to learn a whole new offensive under new coordinator Todd Haley, but there’s also uncertainty regarding who’ll be the No. 1 back to start the season with Rashard Mendenhall recovering from a torn ACL.

Steelers running back Isaac Redman joined Jim Colony on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh to talk about his chances of starting in place of Rashard Mendenhall, his goals for preparing for 2012, his grasp on the new offense and how the changes could help the team.

On the opportunity he has to gain a major role with Rashard Mendenhall hurt:

“I’m just gonna take it like I’ve done with every opportunity I’ve got — try to make the best of it. If he comes back, then he comes back. If he’s the guy, then he’s the guy. We’re all in this room trying to win a championship so whatever it takes. Right now, I’m just working hard and trying to prepare myself to be the No. 1 back.”

On what he’s working on to prepare for 2012:

“I think I’m gonna come in a little lighter, try to be a little faster. [He's asked if that's it] That’s it. Everything else I’m pretty much … I’ve been very good on blitz pick-up. I’m a student of the game and coaches told me that’s what kept me around, because I’m a fast learner. I’m one of the few guys that’s picking this offense up pretty fast and I just want to be a little faster, and with the speed will come power.”

On if he feels he’s completely ready to go in the new offense:

“No, not by any means. It’s still early but I’m starting to be able to break the huddle and not do as much thinking as I was when we first started. And that’s a big key, being able to break the huddle and not have to think about what you’re doing and already know what you’re doing that you can go out and play fast.”

On if being forced to learn an offense forces everyone to concentrate harder:

“It does. It’s gonna take everybody to go home, watch film, go home and stay in the play book. As far as — last year a lot of guys probably just took it for granted, ‘I know this, I know that,’ and maybe not as crisp as we could’ve been, especially in the red zone last year. So now every single one of us is gonna have to be in our playbook knowing exactly what we need to do and exactly where we need to be. And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running. Now, they got a whole new offense that they have to prepare for.”

Listen to Ike Redman on 93.7 The Fan here

Tags: AFC North, Ike Redman, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rashard Mendenhall, Todd Haley

FrancoLambert
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Redman's final words are so damning to Arians.
"We ran the same plays." They had our playbook down." "They knew what was coming."
No kidding, we saw it for years.

MasterOfPuppets
06-09-2012, 01:21 AM
isaac and i have the same theory...

haley's new system may cause a few communication problems early in the season
while players are still getting acclimated , but i see it this way...IT'S A NEW SYSTEM !!! .. our opponents won't have a clue what to expect without arian's predictable nonsence

i've posted before that mendenhall has got to be the most pissed of person in pittsburgh right now. arians offensive philosophy was a proverbial ball and chain around his ankle for 4 years . that wasn't defenses stuffing him behind the line , that was arians genius hitting him as soon as he touched the ball.

i'd also like to add , i'm taking the X factor (arians offense) into consideration. it could be that the super genius and his predictability could have played a part in wallaces decline. running the same post pattern 25 times a game could hamper ones ability to get open. i'd still like to see more versatility and consistency from him before backing the money truck up to him.

tanda10506
06-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Nice of him to call it as it is. I was confident that Redman could have 100 yard games consistently behind last years O line, he played well last year and ran for over 100 yards efficiently against Denver which has a really good defense. Now with this new O line in front of him the sky is the limit, it will likely be a huge turning point in his career. Not only will he be getting good blocking which has been absent from our running game for quite some time, but he will also have the element of surprise with this new playbook. Running is running so it's not like the new playbook is going to make that totally different, but at least they won't know when we are running and we won't only run one direction without a FB. If Redman is a "student of the game" as he says, he could have a big career here in Pittsburgh, with DeCastro and Colon at G there will be holes to run through and there will be good pull blocking on tosses and sweeps, if Redman capitalizes on that (and I think he will) then the whole league is going to be took by surprise.

On a side note, Redman's comments about our old playbook got me thinking about something that I was thinking about last year and that is: with our poor O line play, with Arians wasting 5-6 plays a game with the unproductive predictable bubble screen, and with the whole world knowing our playbook to the point that Phil Simms is calling out our plays before we have even snapped the ball, with all that, how have we won anything in the last 5 years? And I don't mean just a SB or going to one, but how do we beat good teams at all? There is overwhelming talent on this team IMO and I guess that is likely the answer combined with a good team structure, but our plays were so predictable that every game we played was like playing the Pats during Spygate.

Hawaii 5-0
06-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Isaac Redman has no doubts he’s ready to lead the Steelers

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/isaacredman.jpg?w=250

New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh, and the biggest question is who will do most of the running. After Rashard Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in Week 17, it appears that the carrying the load will fall to Isaac Redman. And Redman says he’s ready for that.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

Redman has every reason to be confident after the way he played when Mendenhall went down: In that Week 17 game when Mendenhall was hurt against the Browns, Redman stepped in and had 19 carries for 92 yards. The next week, in the Steelers’ playoff loss to the Broncos, he had 17 carries for 121 yards. Redman says that’s what gives him confidence in himself, and his teammates confidence in him.

“Ever since I’ve been here, I’ve been doubted by everybody — except the players and coaches,” Redman said. “They understand the type of player I am, and it’s why they’ve kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I’m ready to get out there. Hopefully, I’ll surprise everybody.”

Redman called learning Haley’s offense “difficult,” but he said he’s sure the Steelers will make progress.

“It’s tough right now because everybody’s trying to learn this playbook,” Redman said. “You can’t really play as fast you would like to because we’re doing a lot of thinking right now. It’s been a learning process. By the time we get to training camp, we’ll have this thing down. I want to come into camp mentally ready to play.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/09/isaac-redman-has-no-doubts-hes-ready-to-lead-the-steelers/

tanda10506
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Isaac Redman has no doubts he’s ready to lead the Steelers

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 9, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/isaacredman.jpg?w=250

New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh, and the biggest question is who will do most of the running. After Rashard Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in Week 17, it appears that the carrying the load will fall to Isaac Redman. And Redman says he’s ready for that.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

Redman has every reason to be confident after the way he played when Mendenhall went down: In that Week 17 game when Mendenhall was hurt against the Browns, Redman stepped in and had 19 carries for 92 yards. The next week, in the Steelers’ playoff loss to the Broncos, he had 17 carries for 121 yards. Redman says that’s what gives him confidence in himself, and his teammates confidence in him.

“Ever since I’ve been here, I’ve been doubted by everybody — except the players and coaches,” Redman said. “They understand the type of player I am, and it’s why they’ve kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I’m ready to get out there. Hopefully, I’ll surprise everybody.”

Redman called learning Haley’s offense “difficult,” but he said he’s sure the Steelers will make progress.

“It’s tough right now because everybody’s trying to learn this playbook,” Redman said. “You can’t really play as fast you would like to because we’re doing a lot of thinking right now. It’s been a learning process. By the time we get to training camp, we’ll have this thing down. I want to come into camp mentally ready to play.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/09/isaac-redman-has-no-doubts-hes-ready-to-lead-the-steelers/

I think Mendy is as pissed off as we all expect

Hawaii 5-0
06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Secret Superstar: Isaac Redman, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Author: Nathan Jahnke

The Steelers have been set at the running back position for over a decade with Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, and most recently, Rashard Mendenhall. In 2011 Mendenhall enjoyed an excellent season, causing 30 players to miss tackles on him on his 228 attempts with just one fumble. The problem for Pittsburgh, though, is part way into the last game of the regular season Mendenhall tore his ACL; an injury that will likely keep him out for at least part of the 2012 season.

This offseason Pittsburgh didn’t make upgrading the running back position a priority. They didn’t add a back in free agency and it wasn’t until the fifth round of the draft that they added a rookie. While salary cap problems factored into this, the Steelers didn’t need to worry about the position because they have faith in their backup running back from last year, Isaac Redman.

While he’s only had 186 carries in his short NFL carrier, Redman has done enough to show he could be the answer to the Steelers’ rushing problems not just in the short term while Mendenhall is out, but also the future. If his sixth-highest Elusive Rating of 59.8 in 2011 tells us anything, it’s that it will be exciting to see what this Secret Superstar can do with more carries.

Redman’s Rise

Redman went to Division-II Bowie State University where he re-wrote his team’s record book. He went undrafted, and got a free agent contract with the Steelers in 2009. He couldn’t beat out the triple-threat attack from Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, and Willie Parker, so most of his rookie season was spent on the practice squad.

Parker had a down year in 2009 which ended up being his last in Pittsburgh. The following season, both Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer found spots on the 53-man roster, with Redman edging Dwyer on the depth chart. Redman logged between six and 19 offensive snaps per game that year and, while no individual game stood out because he never had more than six carries, his cumulative totals were impressive. He averaged 5.0 yards per carry, and forced 11 missed tackles on his 59 carries.

Backup Role in 2011

In 2011 Redman saw a significant increase in his role with the team. His share of the rushing load (24.5%) prior to Mendenhall’s injury was more than double of the 10.7% he saw in 2010. While Moore had been in for many more snaps in the passing game in 2010 (220 for Moore to 105 for Redman) those numbers flipped in 2011 with Redman seeing his tally jump to 232 and Moore seeing his drop to 102.

As his snap count grew, he maintained the production level he had established in 2010. On the season, Redman averaged 4.7 yards per carry and had 25 players miss tackles on him on 127 carries. That was 0.19 missed tackles caused per carry; fourth-best among backs with at least 125 attempts. While he was playing well throughout the season, it was from Week 13 on that he stepped things up. For the first 12 weeks of the season he had a PFF rating of +6.9, and from Week 13 on it was +8.3 for a season total of +15.2.

It began with back-to-back home games against Cincinnati and Cleveland where he totaled 86 yards on 14 attempts (a 6.1 average), the Cincinati game being his first with 50+ yards. Redman didn’t get much of an opportunity against San Francisco (Pittsburgh had 50 passing plays), but was back on track in their home game against St. Louis where he had 35 yards on eight attempts and his second touchdown of the season.

Making the Most of an Opportunity

In Week 17 against Cleveland–the game in which Mendenhall was injured early on–Redman became the lead back. He had 19 rushing attempts and forced seven missed tackles on his way to a 92-yard day.

The following week in the playoffs against Denver was his real breakout opportunity. On 17 rushing attempts, Redman accumulated 121 yards–83 of them coming after contact. He churned through another five missed tackles, and averaged 7.1 yards per carry. Although it was in a losing effort, it was clearly his best game as a Pro. A small sample size, but it’s promising to know that Redman has performed best when he’s been given the most opportunities and when the stakes were highest.

The Opportunity to Come

After two years of fighting Mendenhall and Moore for playing time, Redman won’t have to worry about either player for the start of 2012. Moore didn’t re-sign with the team, and Mendenhall’s injury will likely keep him out for some time. Now the players behind him on the depth chart are 2010 sixth-round pick Jonathan Dwyer and 2011 undrafted back John Clay. The two of them had a combined 54 snaps in 2011. Redman has played at a very high level on a per-play basis, and now the number of plays he is in for should see a significant increase.

The Steelers’ offensive line is going through a lot of changes, with rookies Mike Adams and David DeCastro projected to take over starting roles at left tackle and right guard, respectively, while Willie Colon has moved to left guard. On the bright side, that means Ramon Foster, Chris Kemoeatu, Doug Legursky, and Jonathan Scott with their combined -21.7 run block rating won’t be on the field. When healthy, Willie Colon has consistently produced positive run block ratings and, if the two rookies perform better in run blocking than the players who came before them, we could see Redman’s per-attempt numbers continue to improve.

It’s usually a success story when an undrafted player from a Division II school can make an NFL roster. Redman not only did that, but has hung around and made a mark on the team. The future for this Secret Superstar will be even brighter if he takes hold of the chance he’s soon to be presented with.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/05/28/secret-superstar-isaac-redman-rb-pittsburgh-steelers/

mesaSteeler
06-11-2012, 07:22 AM
New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh

At last, real Steeler football returns. To bad the season can't start now.

madtowndrunkard
06-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I'd love to hear from Chief fans or players about Haley's system when he was there.

Did all of the chief players whine and cry about the difficulty of the system? I've never heard so much pissing and moaning from NFL players. They've been playing this game since they were kids. They are professionals.

If Ben is such a great QB who's on his way to Canton, then he should have NO problem learning a new offense. I have to say I'm sick of hearing the complaining. How many of us have to learn new things at work? There are plenty of people in other fields learning WAY more difficult things then a play book. They act like Haley is trying to teach them nuclear physics.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I can just imagine Ben and the players crying to media if we struggle offensively the first few games of the season. I can hear the quotes now..."well it's a work in progress" "maybe we need to simplify things a little bit to get us all on the same page" bla bla bla.

It also really makes me think Tomlin and Arians really don't ask much from their players when it comes to getting prepared for the season. They are definitely "
players coaches"

LVSteelersfan
06-11-2012, 01:16 PM
As usual the so-called complaining gets blown out of proportion. A lot of it is the media pressing for a story. I am happy that the Steeler's playbook is more complicated. It will make them a more well rounded team and not so predictable. There could be headaches of course, but the talent on the team will overcome like it has even when Airhead was in charge. Ben will pick it up just fine. It is terminology changes but football is football, running routes is running routes. I can't wait to see the line pulling from either side and knocking the crap out of Ray Lewis and showing what a overrated player he really is. I hope Decastro and Colon knock him on his butt several times a game when we play them.

Fire Arians
06-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I think Mendy is as pissed off as we all expect

i doubt that. mendy is rehabbing and isaac is at practice, they probably rarely ever see eachother

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
i doubt that. mendy is rehabbing and isaac is at practice, they probably rarely ever see eachother
oh i'm sure he is...over the years mendenhall has mentioned
a desire of a lead blocker (fullback)
lack of running game preperation
now they've taken steps improve the quality of the front 5 , especially the interior ....
now mendy can watch from the sidelines and most likely from another team in the near future, and wonder what might have been had he not been caught up in the stupidity known as "arians offense"

TheVet
06-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes, it's so sad for poor Mendenhall. Despite being a semi-bust, he fumbled and hesitation-stepped his way to four years of first round money. Meanwhile, the undrafted free agent Redman has been making a lot of lemonade from the same pile of lemons, and for a lot less cash.

Must be some kind of "inside job," as his 9/11 truther friends would say. Probably the Bush and Obama administrations are colluding to set him up for a bad second contract. He should tell the world about this injustice via Twitter.

FrancoLambert
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Yes, it's so sad for poor Mendenhall. Despite being a semi-bust, he fumbled and hesitation-stepped his way to four years of first round money. Meanwhile, the undrafted free agent Redman has been making a lot of lemonade from the same pile of lemons, and for a lot less cash.

Must be some kind of "inside job," as his 9/11 truther friends would say. Probably the Bush and Obama administrations are colluding to set him up for a bad second contract. He should tell the world about this injustice via Twitter.

You, my friend are suffering from amnesia.
Labeling Mendy a "semi-bust" is way off. Sure he fumbled in a big spot but if memory serves me correctly someone whiffed badly on Matthews. As for "hesitation-stepping," was it him or his sorry makeshift O-line that caused that?
I suggest you go back and watch the playoff run when we beat the Rats and Jets on our last trip to the Bowl.
Check out his performances there. And he was pretty solid all season long.
Look, were we expecting more from him? No doubt. Label him a disappointment if you want to but not a bust.
Then, to top it off you bring up his 9/11 remarks, that's old and tired, move on.

TheVet
06-12-2012, 01:26 AM
You, my friend are suffering from amnesia.
Labeling Mendy a "semi-bust" is way off. ...

I label him as a semi-bust because he was a first round pick, and a lot more is expected from that slot. It would be fine if we had picked him up in some late round, more in line with his value.

Let me ask - don't you think the Steelers would like a do-over on that pick? Exactly, and that's what I mean by "semi-bust."

ANDYMISIU
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to implement a run-first offense in Pittsburgh

At last, real Steeler football returns. To bad the season can't start now.

The days of a run, run, run are long over in the NFL. I have no problem with running to set up the pass or being more dedicated to the run. However, the NFL has changed and everyone knows it... even Haley. The day's of "Pittsburgh Football" when it comes to 3 yards and cloud of dust are over.

wera176
06-12-2012, 11:29 AM
oh i'm sure he is...over the years mendenhall has mentioned
a desire of a lead blocker (fullback)
lack of running game preperation
now they've taken steps improve the quality of the front 5 , especially the interior ....
now mendy can watch from the sidelines and most likely from another team in the near future, and wonder what might have been had he not been caught up in the stupidity known as "arians offense"

^This

Steelboy84
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Redman's final words are so damning to Arians.
"We ran the same plays." They had our playbook down." "They knew what was coming."
No kidding, we saw it for years.

yep

Ricco Suavez
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=ANDYMISIU;1015800]The days of a run, run, run are long over in the NFL. I have no problem with running to set up the pass or being more dedicated to the run. However, the NFL has changed and everyone knows it... even Haley. The day's of "Pittsburgh Football" when it comes to 3 yards and cloud of dust are over.

Some on this board will never admit this. I have read post after post how pass happy the Steelers are now and it is simply not true. Our offense is somewhere near the middle of the league in pass/run ratio. Two of the most pass happy offenses were in the Superbowl last year, and believe it or not the Giants actually passed more by percentage that the Patriots. Our offense while being blasted by nearly everyone was not that bad, if Haley can just improve the red Zone effectiveness we will score more and hopefully we can run better with some leads.

mesaSteeler
06-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Steelers' running game rests on Redman
June, 16, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post?id=49500
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Isaac Redman spent his first training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers trying to get Mike Tomlin to remember his name. These days, Redman's challenge has far more pressing consequences.

The success of the Steelers' running game and hopes of a well-rounded offense fall on an unproven and undrafted backup who was playing the likes of Elizabeth City State in Division II football four years ago.

As Pittsburgh begins its mandatory minicamp Tuesday, Redman is expected to take snaps with the starting offense as he's done in previous weeks. He's earned the right to fill Rashard Mendenhall's spot after he gained 121 yards against the Broncos in the playoffs.

But Redman has to prove his durability. In 36 career games (including playoffs), he's had double-digit carries in four.

"Ever since I've been here, I've been doubted by everybody except the players and coaches," Redman told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "They understand the type of player I am, and it's why they've kept me around. They see something in me, so I never doubt myself. I'm ready to get out there. Hopefully, I'll surprise everybody."

Confidence has never been a problem for a player who went from Bowie State in 2008 to the Steelers' practice squad in 2009 to becoming the team's specialized backup the past two seasons.

Pittsburgh has shown a great amount of faith in Redman after not signing a veteran backup (like Brandon Jacobs, Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant or Mike Tolbert) and not drafting a running back until the fifth round. The Steelers' actions say they believe Redman can replace Mendenhall, the team's leading rusher for the last three years. Mendenhall is expected to be sidelined at the start the season because of ACL surgery in January.

The pressure is on Redman to produce because Pittsburgh doesn't have a safety net. The other running backs have less experience than Redman. Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and Baron Batch have a combined 35 career carries in the NFL.

So, why are the Steelers trusting Redman so much? Although Mendenhall has the first-round pedigree, Redman's between-the-tackles running style gives the offense a better shot at getting back to Steeler football.

Since the start of 2010, Mendenhall averaged 3.9 yards per carry, the fifth worst among the 28 players with at least 300 rushes in the last two seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries.

Redman has shown flashes of being more physical and explosive in his two-year career, averaging 4.5 yards per carry and scoring five touchdowns.

"Coming into the season there's always some type of nerves," Redman said. "But once you step on the field and start performing, all the nerves just go away and you just try to perform at a high level, which I'm sure I'm going to do."

Redman won't be the only change in Pittsburgh's backfield. It was revealed last month that the team is converting tight end David Johnson into a full-time fullback. There's also been speculation that offensive coordinator Todd Haley will put more emphasis on the run than his predecessor, Bruce Arians.

Although Redman wouldn't say how much the Steelers plan to run this season, he knows who will be carrying the ball with Mendenhall out.

“Rashard and I really haven’t spoken that much,” Redman said. “We both understand that he’s working as hard as he can to get back. I’m working hard to lead this team until he gets back to 100 percent, and I don’t doubt that I can.”

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Isaac Redman Will Carry Offense Early On

June 19, 2012

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/content/B/201201301306/eigVlc.jpg

Steelers starting running back Rashard Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in week 17 of last season. The injury hurt the back’s chances at his third consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season. Mendenhall finished with 928 yards in 2011.

His chances of returning to 1,000 rushing yards this season are also dwindling as Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert guesses Mendenhall will start the season off on the PUP list according to RotoWorld. That would keep Mendenhall out of the first six games of the season.

But Pittsburgh has confidence in Isaac Redman, Mendenhall’s backup, who started last year’s playoff game against Denver. Redman has played in every game the last two seasons and has rushed for a respectable 726 yards as a backup.

Some Steeler experts actually believe Redman could be a huge surprise and play better than Mendenhall did last season. Pittsburgh threw the ball a lot more in 2011 than they did the previous year, but Mendenhall ran too much to his left and right trying to dodge defenders rather than running through them.

Redman looks much more like a “Jerome Bettis” type back and even if he only gets 15 carries in the new Ben Roethlisberger oriented offense, Redman will punish defenders which will endear him to Pittsburgh fans.

New offensive coordinator Todd Haley will, however, have to worry about Redman’s fumbling problem. Last season, he lost two fumbles in just 110 carries. But if Redman can correct that problem, he should carry the backfield for the first half of the season. Then when Mendenhall returns, the Steelers could have a deadly one-two punch.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_isaac_redman_will_carry_offens e_early_on/11043890

TheVet
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks hawaii

But Pittsburgh has confidence in Isaac Redman, Mendenhall’s backup, who started last year’s playoff game against Denver. Redman has played in every game the last two seasons and has rushed for a respectable 726 yards as a backup.

Some Steeler experts actually believe Redman could be a huge surprise and play better than Mendenhall did last season. Pittsburgh threw the ball a lot more in 2011 than they did the previous year, but Mendenhall ran too much to his left and right trying to dodge defenders rather than running through them.

It's interesting reading views from afar. Around here, we all know that Redman has outperformed Mendy for at least a year, and probably two. Around the league, not so much.

Then when Mendenhall returns, the Steelers could have a deadly one-two punch.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_isaac_redman_will_carry_offens e_early_on/11043890

It's not so clear that Mendy will be part of any one-two punch. Other backs will emerge, and Mendy has never really fulfilled expectations. My guess is that he'll be looking for greener pastures elsewhere. I don't see an attractive offer from the Steelers. It's not a #1 pick that worked out all that well.

Apologies to anyone offended by my opinion.

teegre
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM
As for "hesitation-stepping," was it him or his sorry makeshift O-line that caused that?.

We all agree: with this new O-line, ANY RB is going to flourish. In that regard, I sort of feel bad for Spinny...

...but, look at last year: same O-line, but Redman was bursting through holes...and had a better YPC (which would have been even higher, if Redman didn't get so many short-yardage carries).

I spent a day (& twenty posts) discussing this topic with El-Gonzo, and here is my SUMMATION:

Beyond the LOS, Spinny is the better RB; he is dynamic; alas, he has trouble getting PAST the LOS...due to hesitation & spins...& tweets (jk).

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
It's not infrequent that the change of pace back has a better YPC than the starter. One should be hesitant to equate that with superior play.

teegre
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
It's not infrequent that the change of pace back has a better YPC than the starter. One should be hesitant to equate that with superior play.

Very true.
Because, normally, your cofp back is a smaller, quicker back (who gets a lot of yardage on 3rd & long: eg an 8 yard scamper on 3rd & 9).

That said, Redman was Pittsburgh's bludgeoner/short-yardage back; he got a large proportion of his carries on 3rd & 1...which lowered his YPC significantly. [Do you follow me on this one?]

Steelersfan87
06-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I agree with and understand everything you said. I'm as big a fan of Redman as anybody since he got to camp (which is why I wrote that article about Redman). I was just cautioning that a backup having a better YPC doesn't necessarily mean much, because it's not an uncommon occurrence. For example, in 2008, the Giants' 3rd string running back, Derrick Ward, led the team in YPC with 5.6 behind Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. Now, Redman and Mendenhall are closer in talent, in my eyes, than Ward was to Jacobs and Bradshaw, and I personally don't believe the running game will miss a beat. But I'm definitely far from prepared to dismiss Mendenhall or anoint Redman as the long-term starter in June. Let's just see how he does first. Despite how much confidence one might have (including myself), it's important to see the production on the field first.

EbonySteel86
06-20-2012, 06:32 PM
I think it was the play calling that hampered our running game and not so much the line. In fact I believe both Redman and Mendy would've had 1000 yards each if Charlie Batch was the Qb. Not saying we would've won a lot of games, but our running game would've been nice. JMHO.