PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley looks at life beyond football, Pittsburgh Steelers

mesaSteeler
06-10-2012, 01:38 AM
LaMarr Woodley looks at life beyond football, Pittsburgh Steelers
Published: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 12:56 PM Updated: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 4:16 PM
Hugh Bernreuter | hbernreu@mlive.com By Hugh Bernreuter | hbernreu@mlive.com
http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2012/06/lamarr_woodley_looks_at_life_b.html

SAGINAW, MI At 27 years old, LaMarr Woodley is looking ahead to when he's an NFL senior citizen.

Like when he's 30 years old or so.

Woodley brought more than a dozen of his friends from the NFL to Saginaw High Saturday for the fifth annual LaMarr Woodley Free Football Camp.

The camp drew more than 350 youth campers, who ran drills and listened to advice from NFL players such as James Harrison, Nick Fairley, Steve Breaston, Marshawn Lynch, David Harris, Brandon Graham, Courtney Upshaw, Troy Smith and Marcell Dareus.

"He does so many things ... sometimes I don't know how he does it," Octagon Sports Public Relations and Events Director Rebecca Otto said. "He's involved in everything, from this camp to the Thanksgiving food giveaway here and in Pittsburgh, toy drives in Pittsburgh, the Sack Attack charity that gives money to kids in Pittsburgh and Saginaw."

Woodley will add to his resume this month. He is a featured celebrity on MTV's Hip Hop Squares, which will air on June 19 on MTV2.

"It was fun, and I answered a lot of questions," Woodley said. "I haven't seen it, so I don't know what it's going to look like.

"I do a lot of things like that. It was a great opportunity. Hip hop and sports go together. I enjoy it. I want to take advantage of those opportunities now because you never know how long it's going to last. You get up to 32, 33 years old and that's young for a normal person but it's old for the NFL. This isn't going to last forever."

According to Otto, Woodley was the only athlete invited to star on the hip hop takeoff on Hollywood Squares.

"He's good friends with Ludacris and Snoop ... he bowled with Ludacris on the Chris Paul charity bowling event," Otto said. "And he's been in a couple hip hop videos.

"He held his own on Hip Hop Squares, but you'd expect that. It's not just that he knows a lot of people in hip hop, he also has the personality to do it."

Woodley is one of the most prolific NFL players on Twitter and is also a regular contributor to a series of pranks on YouTube.
Still, his focus is on football. His season was cut short in 2011 by a hamstring injury, but he still finished with nine sacks.

But he was not happy with the season, which ended in the first round of the playoffs in a loss to Denver.

"The Super Bowl is what motivates me ... and losing to Denver kept us from the Super Bowl last year," Woodley said. "Nothing against Denver, but losing to them pushes me this year.

"I was very fortunate to be in two Super Bowls with one win. It's always the goal. So when people ask me a question, the focus is on the Super Bowl, whether it's about Denver or Joe Flacco with the Baltimore Ravens.

"Whatever the answer is, the focus is always the Super Bowl. Ask me about the Ravens and Flacco, and I'll say they won't make the Super Bowl. Nothing against Flacco, but they're a rival, and if they make the Super Bowl, we don't. Same with Denver. Ask me about what motivates me, and I'll tell you it's losing to Denver because it kept us from the Super Bowl."

Woodley considers any season without a Super Bowl a failure.

"It's why you play," Woodley said. "It's not about the Pro Bowl. Guys go to the Pro Bowl every year. Getting to the Super Bowl is what matters. It doesn't happen for everybody. There are great players in this league who never got to play in a Super Bowl. I've been in two.

"I'm very lucky to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I've always been a Steelers fan. I know how fortunate I am, because every year the goal for the Pittsburgh Steelers is to win that Lombardi Trophy."

But at 27, Woodley understands that longevity in the NFL is rare.

"You've got to prepare," Woodley said. "I know this won't last forever."

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Steelers Records: OLB LaMarr Woodley Eyes Steelers Career Sack Leader Jason Gildon

by Neal Coolong on Jun 18, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4386506/GYI0063056120.jpg

An average 2012 season would put Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley tied with DE Keith Willis for 3rd all time in sacks for the Steelers (59).

Willis played 126 games. Woodley would have played 86.

No other pass rusher drafted by the Steelers with at least 48 games played has as many sacks per game (.69) as Woodley, and in five seasons - he missed nearly half of 2011 with a nagging hamstring injury - already ranks 6th with 48.5 sacks.

Kevin Greene wasn't drafted by the Steelers, but he leads the franchise with .74 sacks a game.

If Woodley continues his pace of roughly 11 sacks a season, he'll overtake franchise leader Jason Gildon (77) in 2014. Woodley turns 28 years old in November, and is under contract through 2016.

It's certainly possible he not only breaks that record, but sets a pretty high mark for whomever will follow him. Judging by the way he looked pre-injury in 2011, he could break it much sooner than 2014. Woodley had nine sacks in eight games before pulling up lame midway through the Steelers' win over New England in Week 8. He was pursuing QB Tom Brady, on his way to what could have been his third sack of one of the most dominating games of his career. It was his third consecutive game with at least two sacks, but he never recovered from the injury. With Woodley went the Steelers' pass rush last season, falling to 17th in the NFL with 35. They led the league in 2010 with 48.

Teammate James Harrison (58 sacks) holds the single season record with 16, a mark Woodley was en route to breaking. A big season for him (12 sacks) would move him ahead of Joey Porter, the player he replaced in 2007, for 4th place all time.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/18/3094193/steelers-olb-lamarr-woodley-eyes-steelers-career-sack-leader-jason

steelax04
06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
But it takes him a few games to warm up and they're all coverage sacks anway... :popcorn:

Hawaii 5-0
06-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley 11th Highest Paid NFL Player in 2011

by Neal Coolong on Jun 20, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4408813/GYI0062713822.jpg

According to Forbes Magazine's yearly Highest Paid Athletes article, Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley is the 11th highest paid NFL player, and 31st highest paid athlete alive, topping out at $26.5 million in salary and endorsements in 2011.

Now Broncos QB Peyton Manning was the highest paid NFL player, topping out at $42.4 million from salary and endorsements.

Woodley received a $13 million signing bonus in 2011, along with his base salary and a few bucks ($100,000) in endorsements. He had nine sacks in eight games before a hamstring injury largely derailed his season. His 48 career sacks in five seasons is the 6th highest mark in franchise history, and turning 28 this season, he's just entering the prime of his career.

The list is usually dominated by big-prize athletes like fighters (Floyd Merriweather and Manny Pacquiao are Nos. 1 and 2) and Tiger Woods (No. 3).

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is 43rd overall at $23.3 million, and LB Lawrence Timmons is 78th at $18.6 million.

Here are the top 11 NFL players, along with their overall rank and their reported earnings.

10. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts (now with Denver Broncos) ($42.4 million)

12. Haloti Ngata, DT, Baltimore Ravens ($37.3 million)

13. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals ($36.8 million)

14. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit Lions ($36 million)

15. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers ($34.4 million)

16. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans (now with Buffalo Bills) $33.2 million

22. Darrelle Revis, CB, New York Jets, $28.3 million

27. Sam Bradford, QB, St. Louis Rams, $27.8 million

28. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots, $27.1 million

30. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants, $26.6 million

31. LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers, $26.5 million

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/20/3098753/pittsburgh-steelers-lamarr-woodley-highest-paid-athletes

Atlanta Dan
06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley 11th Highest Paid NFL Player in 2011

by Neal Coolong on Jun 20, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4408813/GYI0062713822.jpg

According to Forbes Magazine's yearly Highest Paid Athletes article, Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley is the 11th highest paid NFL player, and 31st highest paid athlete alive, topping out at $26.5 million in salary and endorsements in 2011.

Now Broncos QB Peyton Manning was the highest paid NFL player, topping out at $42.4 million from salary and endorsements.

Woodley received a $13 million signing bonus in 2011, along with his base salary and a few bucks ($100,000) in endorsements. He had nine sacks in eight games before a hamstring injury largely derailed his season. His 48 career sacks in five seasons is the 6th highest mark in franchise history, and turning 28 this season, he's just entering the prime of his career.

The list is usually dominated by big-prize athletes like fighters (Floyd Merriweather and Manny Pacquiao are Nos. 1 and 2) and Tiger Woods (No. 3).

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is 43rd overall at $23.3 million, and LB Lawrence Timmons is 78th at $18.6 million.

Here are the top 11 NFL players, along with their overall rank and their reported earnings.

10. Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts (now with Denver Broncos) ($42.4 million)

12. Haloti Ngata, DT, Baltimore Ravens ($37.3 million)

13. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals ($36.8 million)

14. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit Lions ($36 million)

15. Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers ($34.4 million)

16. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans (now with Buffalo Bills) $33.2 million

22. Darrelle Revis, CB, New York Jets, $28.3 million

27. Sam Bradford, QB, St. Louis Rams, $27.8 million

28. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots, $27.1 million

30. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants, $26.6 million

31. LaMarr Woodley, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers, $26.5 million

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/20/3098753/pittsburgh-steelers-lamarr-woodley-highest-paid-athletes

Steelers have 3 of the 100 highest paid professional athletes in the world - further evidence the Rooneys are cheap

Hawaii 5-0
06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
LaMarr Woodley was busy this week being on MTV2′s Hip Hop Squares:

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/06/22/steelers-round-up-hip-hop-weird-poses-and-mentors/utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562145_10101728536301213_69428137_n.jpg

pancake
06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have the Steelers top 10 sacks list?

Bayz101
06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
#1 - Jason Gildon - 77
#2 - Joey Porter - 60
#3 - Keith Willis - 59
#4 - James Harrison - 58 *
#5 - Greg Lloyd - 53.5
#6 - LaMarr Woodley - 48 *
#7 - Aaron Smith - 44
#8 - Kevin Greene - 35
#9 - Clark Haggans - 32.5
#10 - Chad Brown - 31
#11 - Mike Merriweather - 31
#12 - James Farrior - 30
#13 - Keith Gary - 25
#14 - Gerald Williams - 24.5
#15 - Bryan Hinkle - 22.5
#16 - Carnell Lake - 21.5
#17 - Kimo Von Oelhoffen - 20.5
#18 - Brett Keisel - 20.5 *
#19 - Levon Kirkland - 18.5
#20 - Kendrell Bell & Gary Dunn - 18

VaDave
06-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Lamar, do you think for that $27 mil, we can get more than 3 tackles a game?

fer522
06-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Hey Lamar, do you think for that $27 mil, we can get more than 3 tackles a game?
:chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
06-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Steelers 2011 Big Money Guys: OLB LaMarr Woodley's Absence Crushed Pass Rush

by Neal Coolong on Jun 26, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4459673/GYI0062713822.jpg

Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley turned a quick corner on Patriots RT Sebastian Vollmer and squared his shoulders around the edge. He had the angle, and he had Patriots QB Tom Brady in his cross-hairs.

There would be no escape. Woodley had about five steps to his third sack of the game. There was 5:44 left in the third quarter.

Accelerating to full speed, Woodley suddenly pulls back a little bit, favoring his right leg, and drops like he just got picked off by a sniper. Brady, flushed to his left by Woodley, completes a pass for a first down to WR Deion Branch, avoiding what could have been a vicious hit from behind.

Woodley, the man who through seven games, two quarters, nine minutes and 16 seconds, racked up nine sacks, laid on the Heinz Field turf on all fours, victim of the dreaded hamstring pull.

A few months before that, Woodley made the biggest splash of the Steelers' offseason by inking a six-year, $61 million deal with the Steelers, not long after the Steelers had placed the franchise tag on the young and emerging pass rusher. With $22 million of that guaranteed, and $13 million due in his first season, Woodley was among the game's highest paid players in 2011.

And if not for the nagging hamstring injury, he could have been in contention for Defensive Player of the Year.

Hamstrings are difficult muscles to rehabilitate after injury. The amount of force needed to turn a corner, push off quickly and accelerate is enormous, particularly if that muscle is damaged already. They take a while to heal, and time isn't something NFL players have during the season. Woodley didn't see the field much after that game, and his presence was missed.

Badly.

The Steelers had 48 sacks in 2010, and fell to 35 in 2011. Obviously that's not all on Woodley, but they gave him that massive contract for a reason. Woodley is one of the biggest 3-4 OLBs in football, and his main weapon is his size. While still giving up upwards of 60 pounds to your average NFL right tackle, Woodley constantly crashes into his blocker, usually with a two or three step head start, and physically batters them to the point of fatigue in the second half. He's also deceptively quick, and has a great nose for the ball carrier.

Simply put, the defense is just not the same with him in there. Thankfully for the Steelers, hamstring injuries are not chronic, they simply require ice and rest - two things Woodley shouldn't have any problem applying this offseason.

If he comes back 100 percent, and he remains in top physical shape, expect both his and the Steelers' total sack number to increase quite a bit in 2012.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/26/3115711/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-lamarr-woodley-contract-extension

Hawaii 5-0
07-03-2012, 02:02 AM
LaMarr Woodley Now A Married Man

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LaMarr-Woodley-Jordan-Vinson.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley today married long-time girlfriend Jordan Vinson, who is also from Saginaw, Michigan. The two have a daughter together named Gabrielle, who was born in January of 2008.

We knew a wedding day was close as Woodley reportedly had his bachelor party in Las Vegas several weeks ago. During his time out in Vegas he was pranked by fiends with a fake bachelor party that included a fake mentalist, a large snake, and an even larger stripper, who faked being pushed down by Woodley while giving him a lap dance.

Woodley, who signed a long-term deal last off-season, is entering his sixth season in the league after being drafted by the Steelers in the second round of the 2007 NFL draft. The Michigan product missed six games last year after severely injuring his hamstring in the week 8 game against the New England Patriots. Woodley finished the season with39 tackles and 9 sacks despite missing nearly half the season.

In his first five season in the league Woodley has 225 total regular season tackles,and 48 quarterback sacks. He also has 7 forced fumbles, 7 fumble recoveries and 4 interceptions.

Congrats to the happy couple and their daughter.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/lamarr-woodley-now-a-married-man/