PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Kelvin Beachum

tony hipchest
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
i loved this late pick ever since i read his bio immediately after being drafted. he is an extreme longshot to make it. i was a bit bummed when we brought in another long snapper a day or 2 ago.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1194723.html

Kelvin Beachum is the Steelers' other rookie offensive lineman, but the team's final draft pick has impressed many in a short period of time.

Trai Essex knows a smart, young player when he sees one. And he sees one in rookie Kelvin Beachum.
“The kid is smart,” said Essex. “He came in right away and learned the playbook like that.”

Essex snapped his fingers for effect, but wasn’t done talking about the left tackle/guard the Steelers drafted with their fourth pick of the seventh round.

“And he’s talented,” Essex said. “He has some really long arms and has a really good set at tackle. He’s on the small side so they’ll probably move him inside. He’s probably going to have to be like me. He’s going to have to pick up the other positions real fast. I told him that’s one of the reasons I’ve been around here for eight years. He’s going to have to learn to play multiple positions and do it fast. He’s taken it to heart and is really working hard. I think he has a lot of potential.”

Essex isn’t the only one who thinks that way. Beachum impressed the Steelers with his intelligence during OTAs when he worked as the second-team left guard. The appearance of first-round pick David DeCastro this week kicked Beachum to the third team, but Beachum bounced back up to second-team left tackle yesterday upon the absence of Marcus Gilbert.

“He’s pretty bright. I think he could survive at Northwestern,” said Essex, a Northwestern man.

Beachum laughed over the vet’s dig. He gets it.

“Oh, you know, I pride myself on working hard,” Beachum said. “When I get in somewhere I do my best to get it, to find a way to get it, to understand it.

“One thing about learning is not so much being able to engulf the information, but also be able to regurgitate it, to teach it to someone else. And that’s the part I’m aiming for right now. I’m not saying I know the offense completely, but I have a good grasp of it. But I still don’t have it like I want it, where I can teach it to somebody else.”

The 6-3, 303-pound Beachum has a degree in Economics from SMU and a Master’s degree in Liberal Studies, which he earned thanks to cram sessions at the NFL combine.

To stamp the occasion, the dean of the master’s program asked Beachum to give a commencement speech to his class at the Simmons School of Education. He was one of two asked to speak.

“I talked about challenges, about testing your will,” Beachum said. “It was pretty simple, real straightforward, just some different things I had encountered while I was getting the Master’s, and then also some of the things I experienced in my childhood. I talked about my father a little bit.”

Kelvin Beachum, Sr. runs an auto shop in Kelvin Jr.’s hometown of Mexia, Texas, located about 40 miles east of Waco in the middle of the state. Kelvin Jr. spoke of his dad’s “thriving business” in spite of an education that ended in the eighth grade.

“When it’s all said and over with, I want to be an authority figure who’s also a role model for young African-Americans,” Beachum said. “Just being able to pave the way for people of all races and ethnicities and socioeconomic backgrounds to be successful in life, and I think I can do it as an authority figure. I’ve got the economic background to understand the money side of it, and then also the organization dynamics, which is what the Master’s was in – being able to handle big-time organizations, understanding the inner workings of how an organization works.”

As an organization, the Steelers have always intrigued Beachum. “It’s the stability,” he said. “My grandparents on both sides have been married for over 45 years. They’re still alive. My dad and my mother have been married 24 years. I’m 23. We stayed in the same house – 205 West Walnut Street – for as long as I’ve been alive. Just stability; I love stability. I love structure.

“I’m not saying I can’t change or I can’t adapt or I can’t develop, but having that structure the Steelers have here is what I love. I mean, we go out and practice and you know what you’re going to get from coach (Mike) Tomlin. We have one goal and that’s to win the Super Bowl

MACH1
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he can carve out a spot on the team.
Maybe he can translate the Rosetta Stone to Ben while he's at it. :wink:

Kingmagyar
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I think there is a misnomer about him being able to long snap though. As he was quoted as saying he never did it in college but began working on it just recently. I don't think he was ever considered for the LS but he could stick out a year on the practice squad and get functionally stronger as his strength numbers were way to low for a Guard type. Only 19 reps of 225lbs. Strength for a guy his size is something the Steelers can create. He already has the brain power.

tony hipchest
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I think there is a misnomer about him being able to long snap though. As he was quoted as saying he never did it in college but began working on it just recently. I don't think he was ever considered for the LS but he could stick out a year on the practice squad and get functionally stronger as his strength numbers were way to low for a Guard type. Only 19 reps of 225lbs. Strength for a guy his size is something the Steelers can create. He already has the brain power.yeah, steelersdepot had stated that beachum could long snap.

i asked him if it were true and this was his response-

Kelvin Beachum‏
@Steelers_Fever darn right!!!!!

i actually like it better if he were drafted for more than possible potential at LS. it looks like he is proving why he was drafted. he is certainly a longshot but seems impossible to root for.

i like what it says about the steelers org as a whole when they bring guys like him, batch, and rolle in and give them a legitimate shot.

TheVet
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the article, I love reading this stuff. First thing is an NFL-caliber starting OL, and the next thing is to build some depth. Maybe Beachum can contribute, let's hope so. Trai Essex is looking smart, dropping those extra pounds. We're heading towards a competitive situation on our OL!

steeltheone
06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Finding a GOOD lineman late in the draft would be huge!

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Colbert: Steelers' offense is progressing

By Scott Brown
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Steelers are off until July 25, when players report to St. Vincent College in Latrobe for training camp. The Tribune-Review caught up with general manager Kevin Colbert at the end of offseason practices, and he weighed in on the new offense and the situation at left tackle.

• Tribune-Review: From what you observed during offseason practices, did players make good progress as far as picking up the new offense?

• Kevin Colbert: I’m not listening to what’s being said intimately after a play. There’s not a lot of physical errors I guess is the best way to say it: new offense, people learning about the offense and coaches learning about people, I think there will be some mistakes. I think that’s just part of the growing process. It’s way too early to tell, but visibly I didn’t see a lot of mistakes or corrections being made, no more than usual.

• Trib: Did anyone stand out to you?

• KC: I think we were pleasantly surprised (with rookie) Kelvin Beachum and his versatility. I think he’ll be able to play guard and tackle, and some day he might be able to play center. He’s a versatile, very intelligent kid. He was a left tackle at SMU. He’s probably a little undersized for tackle in the NFL, but he’s got the arm length and the feet. Whether he can do it at this level, who knows? But he’s athletic enough to play guard, and I think he’s smart enough to play center someday. I think (Leonard) Pope gives us some stability at the tight end position from a veteran standpoint.

• Trib: Is there a backup plan if Mike Adams isn’t ready to play left tackle, and if so, does that plan include Max Starks?

• KC: We’re monitoring (Starks’) health, we’ll see how he develops, but Max is coming off a serious injury, and his readiness we don’t know yet. We won’t know until you get closer to camp and he’s had more rehab.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ers+Stories%29

tanda10506
06-26-2012, 02:06 AM
I don't see why he wouldn't make the team. They spent a draft pick on him and if he's already impressing the staff then I don't see why he wouldn't get a spot. Having an extra body to put in there is worth the small contract that they would offer him, if he's already showing football intelligence that's just a big plus. I know it seems like we are pretty set at O line, but with the injuries of last year I just cant see how we don't carry every decent O lineman we can.

The only thing I have against him is his last name. I had a 2nd grade teacher with that name and she haunts me to this day, so needless to say it will hard to root for anybody with that last name.

Hawaii 5-0
06-27-2012, 02:37 AM
The only thing I have against him is his last name. I had a 2nd grade teacher with that name and she haunts me to this day, so needless to say it will hard to root for anybody with that last name.

are you sure her last name wasn't spelled "Bitchum"? :chuckle:

Steelers>NFL
06-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Finding a GOOD lineman late in the draft would be huge!

drafting 3 from one draft would be HUGE!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Lots of good stuff here:
-intelligent, long arms and athletic, but only Willie Colon height at 6'3".
-303 is a bit light to be battling big interior linemen and the 19 reps with long arms is respectable.

Too light to be a guard and not big enough to be an OT. Steelers only dress 2 reserve linemen on gameday and he would not be one of them. He probably will not make the 53 and will be destined for the practice squad.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Hard work pays off for Beachum

Posted by Teresa Varley on September 3, 2012

Kelvin Beachum went to sleep last Thursday night following the Steelers final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers knowing he did exactly what Coach Mike Tomlin said.

“Coach Tomlin told us to control what you can control,” said Beachum. “Go out there and finish as hard as you can, know what to do and enjoy the game. I took that approach and did all I could. I got home, prayed, went to sleep and got on a plane the next morning and went about my day.”

While many rookies and young players waited in a hotel room in Pittsburgh for news of their fate on Friday, the day NFL teams had to get down to the 53-man roster, Beachum flew home to Texas for a few days to visit family while he waited for word on his football future.

“I knew whatever happened this was the last time I was going to see the family for a while, regardless of the situation,” said Beachum. “I wanted to make sure I got to see them, my grandparents, my little sister, I wanted to spend time with family before the decision came down.”

He didn’t have to wait too long for his phone to ring.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” said Beachum, the Steelers final seventh-round pick out of SMU. “Coach (Sean) Kugler called me around noon. I was in the car with one of my friends from school. I didn’t know what to think at the time. I wanted to be positive, but I didn’t know what to expect.

“He called and asked if I was waiting on a call. I told him yeah. He said what if that call is to tell you that you made the team. I told him that is what I am talking about, in a much more excited manner than that.”

And one of the best things for Beachum was he got to share that excitement and joy with his family right there.

“It’s wonderful, it’s indescribable,” said Beachum. “The emotions, the way your family is just overwhelmed that one of their own has made it to a level such as this.

“It was awesome. My parents were happy, my grandparents didn’t know what to say, what to think. It was an important moment and I am glad I made the decision to go there with them for that.”

Now it’s time for Beachum to take it to the next level. He saw the other side of what happens on cut down day when veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex was released. It opened his eyes to what it takes to make it in the NFL.

“I really see it for the business it is and how much work, time and commitment you have to put into this job and career to make it,” said Beachum. “Not only to make it, but to stay here. That is the thing now. Yes I made it, but now I have to put in even more work to stay here.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/03/hard-work-pays-off-for-beachum/

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 01:00 AM
i have a theory why beachum made the team, and elgonzo kinda touches on it. he is small and light but it seems he probably has the brains to rival some of the greats.

he has no business seeing the field at LT, especially as a rookie and ESPECIALLY at 300 lbs, yet he was running with the second team for the beginning of preseason.

he got thrown into the fire and flat out got his ass WHIPPED. as much as i was rooting for him, i knew he was going to get whipped, so the coaches most certainly knew the same. what they were looking for was how he would respond and rebound from it (hell even mike adams was getting beat).

he obviously passed their test because here he is on the 53 man roster. the coaches and trainers can work on his size, skill, and technique, but like speed, he appears to have something that cant be taught or trained.

now it is still possible essex (or another vet) is brought back and beachum demoted to the practice squad, but to this point, as one of three 7th round picks, he's gotta look at his short career as a success.

Steelerfreak58
09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Let the trainers get a hold of him for a good year of strength and conditioning. I am betting he comes in stronger and bigger next year. He may never be a started but if he is a long term solid back up well then hell yes that was a good draft pick at 6.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 09:50 AM
i have a theory why beachum made the team, and elgonzo kinda touches on it. he is small and light but it seems he probably has the brains to rival some of the greats.

he has no business seeing the field at LT, especially as a rookie and ESPECIALLY at 300 lbs, yet he was running with the second team for the beginning of preseason.

he got thrown into the fire and flat out got his ass WHIPPED. as much as i was rooting for him, i knew he was going to get whipped, so the coaches most certainly knew the same. what they were looking for was how he would respond and rebound from it (hell even mike adams was getting beat).

he obviously passed their test because here he is on the 53 man roster. the coaches and trainers can work on his size, skill, and technique, but like speed, he appears to have something that cant be taught or trained.

now it is still possible essex (or another vet) is brought back and beachum demoted to the practice squad, but to this point, as one of three 7th round picks, he's gotta look at his short career as a success.

I think they like him as a guy that can play just about every position on the line. The fact that Wolfley said he uses his hands like a 5 year veteran is promising, as the shows he is a smart kid with technique.

So yeah, he puts on 10 lbs of muscle and gets up to around 315lbs, then he can play interior if needed and spell some guys at OT too. I for one am happy that we see the Steelers taking a shot at developing youth rather than hanging onto veterans on the downhill slide.

To me this also means that Legursky and Adams will likely be active on gameday as the backups. Adams will come along and if Starks or Gilbert need replacing, he will have to be ready.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
agreed, if all he ever accomplishes with the Steelers is being a solid backup for long term then he will have far exceeded expectations for a late rounder

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
agreed, if all he ever accomplishes with the Steelers is being a solid backup for long term then he will have far exceeded expectations for a late rounder

Yeah, he is a late rounder and almost a free agent like gems we found in Keydrick Vincent, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster. I hope Beachum becomes a beast!!

teegre
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I think they like him as a guy that can play just about every position on the line. The fact that Wolfley said he uses his hands like a 5 year veteran is promising, as the shows he is a smart kid with technique.

So yeah, he puts on 10 lbs of muscle and gets up to around 315lbs, then he can play interior if needed and spell some guys at OT too. I for one am happy that we see the Steelers taking a shot at developing youth rather than hanging onto veterans on the downhill slide.

To me this also means that Legursky and Adams will likely be active on gameday as the backups. Adams will come along and if Starks or Gilbert need replacing, he will have to be ready.

I have been through a rollercoaster of emotions, regarding Beachum.

I was disappointed that he was drafted, because other (IMO better) OL were available.

Then, I heard Kugler raving about him... and started looking into the kid's background... and I was excited:
-he can play all five O-line positions
-he is very smart
-he has great technique

Then, came the pre-season, and ugh. I openly admitted (on here) that I might have been wrong. Maybe it was too much of a shock (to go from SMU to the pros).

Then, he played better each week... giving me hope.

Simply, in Kugler I trusted... and I should have remembered that. This was a Kulger pick; Kugler loved what the kid had... potential... upside... et cetera. And, Kugler will work with him (to improve year after year). Beachum need not start for a few years; he has time for Kugler to mold him, and Kugler is adept at just that. I now see Beachum as the heir apparent to The Colon (Beachum & The Colon battling for the starting LG position by the 2014 season). Again, in Kugler I trust.