PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rumors: Art Rooney II Not Happy With Mike Wallace

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 02:42 AM
NFL Rumors: Pittsburgh Steelers Owner Art Rooney Not Happy With Mike Wallace

by Jeff Shull
June 14, 2012

http://rantsports.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/redzonetalk/files/2012/06/Mike-Wallace-Holding-Out-from-Camp.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Mike Wallace was slapped with the franchise tag this off season with the hopes that the two sides could eventually sign a long term contract. Well, that hasn’t happened yet and not only has Wallace refused to sign his tag, but he is holding out of Steelers mini-camp.

Their president, Art Rooney II, is not happy about it. “He should be here,” the disgruntled owner said recently. The Steelers can apparently cut the offer from $2.7 million to $2 million or remove it altogether this Friday, but the club is not likely to use either option.

Head coach Mike Tomlin is not too worried about the situation, and believes it will work itself out in the end like most do. Though he is critical of Wallace not being at camp.

“Mike has always been guy who’s in tip top condition over a 12-month calendar since we had him,” Tomlin said. “He’s a sharp guy. I’m sure he’s working at the learning element of it. But there’s no substitute for being here and being around your teammates and learning the nuances and learning from other people’s mistakes.”

The Steelers are a first class organization and Wallace is a fantastic player and key piece to their offense. He’ll likely get what he’s looking for, but when is the only question. Wallace has averaged 66 receptions, 1,225 yards and nine touchdowns over the past two seasons. He is one of the best deep-threats in the league and opens up the offense for Ben Roethlisberger.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/nfl_rumors_pittsburgh_steelers_owner_art_rooney_no t_happy_with_mike_wallace/11008835

Steelers>NFL
06-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Messing with the wrong owners here Mr Wallace. They will ship your candy-ass of to the Raiders. Then we'll see if you are really unhappy or not!!

teegre
06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, Wallace was NOT hit with the franchise tag; he was hit with a RFA tender.

If the author can't even get his first fact correct (his opening statement), I immediately question the validity of the rest of his article.

TRH
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
doesn't matter if the author goofed a bit.....the fact is that Rooney still said it.....i saw Rooney had said this yesterday from multiple sources. Rooney, when he has something to say that he's serious about, usually only uses a couple words, but very strong words, to voice his displeasure (unlike the ridiculous, twitter, ranting Jim Irsay in Indy).
The Steelers are going to draw a line in the sand here....they're NOT going to overpay for a WR position when they Antonio Brown also coming up and multiple issues to take care of on the defensive side of the ball starting next year. I just dont' see Rooney giving in to an agent trying to play hardball.

Atlanta Dan
06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
This is the Hines Ward/Plaxico Burress situation again

Steelers do not have the budget for 2 talented receivers and are waiting to see which one gets the commitment before signing Brown or Wallace

Wallace will gt tpaid in 2013 by someone but IMO he is not going to force the Steelers into a contract by holding out

According to the P-G the Steelers are not going to exercise their right to cut the $2.7 million RFA tender, which thye would do if they intended to burn the bridge - at this point Wallace needs to accept where he is at, have a big 2012 season, and figure if he does not sign with the Steelers as Ward did he will get big $$ somewhere else (like Burress did) elsewhere

TRH
06-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Steelers do not have the budget for 2 talented receivers and are waiting to see which one gets the commitment before signing Brown or Wallace

Wallace will gt tpaid in 2013 by someone but IMO he is not going to force the Steelers into a contract by holding out

According to the P-G the Steelers are not going to exercise their right to cut the $2.7 million RFA tender, which thye would do if they intended to burn the bridge - at this point Wallace needs to accept where he is at, have a big 2012 season, and figure if he does not sign with the Steelers as Ward did he will get big $$ somewhere else (like Burress did) elsewhere

i agree. There is no other "better" scenario for Wallace. This is where agents can become a big pain in the a**

Steelers>NFL
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
[/B]

i agree. There is no other "better" scenario for Wallace. This is where agents can become a big pain in the a**

Agree! Still like Brown better though...

teegre
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
doesn't matter if the author goofed a bit.....the fact is that Rooney still said it.....i saw Rooney had said this yesterday from multiple sources. Rooney, when he has something to say that he's serious about, usually only uses a couple words, but very strong words, to voice his displeasure (unlike the ridiculous, twitter, ranting Jim Irsay in Indy).

True....you are correct. After seeing that "above" article, I did some Googling, and Art II did indeed say it.

And, as you said, The Rooneys rarely speak, but when they do, they MEAN it.

Mike, you'd take heed...

OX1947
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I am kind of over this Mike Wallace cry baby shit. You and your agent outplayed your dumb asses and got dick this off season. Be a man, get over it, play out your contract then go see what the market gives you. That's BUSINESS. These morons love to say it's a BUSINESS, but then, when the BUSINESS, gives THEM the BUSINESS, it's disrespect. Stupid hypocrites.

xbroughneck
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I am kind of over this Mike Wallace cry baby shit. You and your agent outplayed your dumb asses and got dick this off season. Be a man, get over it, play out your contract then go see what the market gives you. That's BUSINESS. These morons love to say it's a BUSINESS, but then, when the BUSINESS, gives THEM the BUSINESS, it's disrespect. Stupid hypocrites.

+1

Has Burress been signed yet? If Wallace doesn't man up I'd have Plaxi take the #1 wide out spot for one year, and extend Antonio right now.

Sure, I love that Mike can stretch the defense, but can he get good separation through intermediate routes.

Burress, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller.....if Ben couldn't complete passes to those five guys then he's a bad QB.

And Burress could probably be had for half what Wallace wants.

Fire Arians
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
cut his pay on friday and sign AB & sanders to a multi year contract. brown & sanders at least show up in the playoffs, when it counts.

ANDYMISIU
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
From what I understand he needs to sign by tomorrow, otherwise "get your ass out of Pittsburgh". seriously.

If you don't want to play here, if you don't want to be part of the team, then I don't have a place for you as a fan.

Strong arming your way into a deal isn't the way to go about things. Unless of course you're afraid Brown will blow you out the hole season instead of the last 8 games like last year.

Steelersfan87
06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Mike Wallace in the game that mattered most: 9 catches, 89 yards, TD. So much for not showing up, right?

Mike Wallace has 24 regular season receiving touchdowns. Antonio Brown has 2. Let me know when that changes. Since, you know, points are what matter.

tanda10506
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
I just dont' see Rooney giving in to an agent trying to play hardball.

Agreed, he won't, either Wallace will take the offer how it is (maybe with a bit of modification) or he will be gone next year. The Steelers aren't going to be hard balled by a WR, no matter how good he is, especially when we have other talented WR's.

Well, Wallace was NOT hit with the franchise tag; he was hit with a RFA tender.

If the author can't even get his first fact correct (his opening statement), I immediately question the validity of the rest of his article.

LOL, I agree. I'm sure it was just a mistake but if he didn't even look into it enough to get the premise correct then what else didn't he get correct....in this case I guess it doesn't matter much because Rooney said what he said....but still

I agree we don't have the money right now for 2 new contracts for 2 top WR's, and if IIRC Sanders is a RFA next year too. I think we can get 2 of the 3 signed, but if Wallace is going to be one of them it has to be this year. If he wants to hold out or play for the $2.7mil and then ask for a bigger contract next year then he is gone, the only way Wallace will be a long term Steeler is if he signs a long term contract this year, otherwise he will leave for big money next year. So while I agree that the situation is similar, with cooperation from Wallace THIS YEAR, I think we could keep Wallace and either Brown or Sanders.

Steelersfan87
06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Sanders is not going to command more than an original round tender, more likely than not.

By the way, the Steelers are done until late July with minicamp ending today. So unless there's new of a contract, there will hopefully be NO news about Wallace for over a month now, and he may very well be there in training camp, even if he skips out of the first week or whatever.

Fire Arians
06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Mike Wallace in the game that mattered most: 9 catches, 89 yards, TD. So much for not showing up, right?

Mike Wallace has 24 regular season receiving touchdowns. Antonio Brown has 2. Let me know when that changes. Since, you know, points are what matter.

9 catches, 89 yards, while not bad, is shit for someone who's asking for superstar money. if he wants fitz money, then i wanna see fitz production or bye bye.

brown had 1 year as a starter, we'll see how much td's he has this season. Let's not forget he has 2 special teams TD's, the fact he's money in the return game adds to his value to the team as well. Though he will likely not be the fulltime punt/kickoff returner, they probably will still use him like santonio when they need a big play.

Steelersfan87
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
We've never heard Wallace say that he wants Fitzgerald money, so that doesn't even need to be brought up. His fair market value, if you look around the league, is easily in the $9-10M a year range. And calling that stat line "shit", even for Fitzgerald, is ridiculous, by the way. :toofunny: And 4 games is a small sample size.

Here are some contracts of note:

Calvin Johnson: $16.5M
Larry Fitzgerald: $15M
Vincent Jackson: $11.11M
Brandon Marshall: $10M
Steve Smith: $9.5M
Wes Welker: $9.5M
Dwayne Bowe: $9.5M
DeSean Jackson: $9.4M
Santonio Holmes: $9.05M
Miles Austin: $9M
Roddy White: $8
Anquan Boldin: $8M
Stevie Johnson: $7.25M

The majority of the top receivers on other teams are either 1) not really #1 receivers (Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Miami, Washington), are too old for a big contract (Indianapolis, San Francisco), or haven't had their big contract yet (New York (Giants), Cincinnati, Denver, Green Bay, Tennessee). Others have had their worth diminished due to injuries. Also, many of these large contracts were signed a few years ago, and thus by this past offseason's standards are somewhat dated. For example, Greg Jennings signed a 4 year, $27M contract in 2009. If he was a free agent in 2012, he would have easily netted Vincent Jackson's contract or better. He is in a contract year this season, so he should have a big offseason in 2013.

steeltheone
06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
cut his pay on friday and sign AB & sanders to a multi year contract. brown & sanders at least show up in the playoffs, when it counts.

Brown..... 4 playoff games ( 1 SB ) 10-160-0 Way to ' show up"

steeltheone
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
We've never heard Wallace say that he wants Fitzgerald money, so that doesn't even need to be brought up. His fair market value, if you look around the league, is easily in the $9-10M a year range. And calling that stat line "shit", even for Fitzgerald, is ridiculous, by the way. :toofunny: And 4 games is a small sample size.

Big money players show up in BIG games .....Wallace, Brown and Sanders are 0 for 4 or 0 for 16 combined.

They are good receivers, but if just one of them would have shined in Green Bay ( 10 ) or Denver ( 11) we win both games and have 1 more ring.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
OK, enough of the gloom and doom scenarios - it's prediction time.

I think Wallace will sign the $2.7 million RFA tender, and he'll be in camp at some point, and he'll play this season. This will allow the Steelers to proceed with negotiations, which may or may not lead to a long-term deal. But Wallace will play the full season, and he'll give it his very best effort because he's playing for the money.

Rationale: The Steelers have all the leverage. If Wallace wants the big money (either here or elsewhere), he needs to blow it out this season. He's a rising star, but he's not there yet. And if he wants a chance to blow it out, he needs to get in there and work with the unit to get comfortable with the new offense; so camp isn't optional. At some point, his agent or other trusted advisers will see the light, and make this point clear. Meanwhile, the Steelers are in pretty good shape with their overall wide receiver corps, and they've got bigger fish to fry after filling the vacant OC position and revamping their OL. This just isn't the kind of hard case that will cause the team to make an exception to their negotiation principles.

The bottom line is that Steelers really want Wallace, but Wallace really needs to be with the Steelers. Wallace will be in camp because ultimately it's in the interests of both parties.

TheVet
06-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Ugggh, too many Wallace threads. I originally posted the above in another thread, but decided it belonged here. Went back, and couldn't delete the other one. On the other hand, maybe this entire thread belongs over there.

My apologies to the folks who run this forum. Maybe we need a moderator to consolidate these threads again?

Fire Arians
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Brown..... 4 playoff games ( 1 SB ) 10-160-0 Way to ' show up"

he caught the game winner against baltimore in the playoffs, which was a near impossible catch. he was only a starter in 1 playoff game also. so considering that, i'd say not bad

AndyWitmyer
06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Maybe Mike Wallace is just being a team player by making himself look like a pansy ass crybaby for the press instead of our QB!

StainlessStill
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM
he caught the game winner against baltimore in the playoffs, which was a near impossible catch. he was only a starter in 1 playoff game also. so considering that, i'd say not bad

I was in the house that game. I was up top and saw the whole entire play develop. The entire stadium had energy, the nervous energy. Once the ball was snapped, I focused on Brown completely burning by Webb from the sound of the gun and clinched my butt-cheeks hoping Ben would see this. As my butt-cheeks began to cramp, I noticed the ball in the air, within the area of a wide open Brown. I saw him glue-stick the ball to the side of his helmet, keep his feet and go out of bounds at the 1 yard line. Pandemonium and all that nervous energy laid out a HUGE sigh of relief ROAR in Heinz Field.

What a catch. One of the best I've seen in crunch time.

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Ugggh, too many Wallace threads. I originally posted the above in another thread, but decided it belonged here. Went back, and couldn't delete the other one. On the other hand, maybe this entire thread belongs over there.

My apologies to the folks who run this forum. Maybe we need a moderator to consolidate these threads again?

there are only two Wallace threads on the front page right now, and they are different:

one thread is about Wallace not being happy, this thread is about Art II not being happy.

and i don't think it's a sin to post the same thing in two different threads, i have done that before...

teegre
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
I was in the house that game. I was up top and saw the whole entire play develop. The entire stadium had energy, the nervous energy. Once the ball was snapped, I focused on Brown completely burning by Webb from the sound of the gun and clinched my butt-cheeks hoping Ben would see this. As my butt-cheeks began to cramp, I noticed the ball in the air, within the area of a wide open Brown. I saw him glue-stick the ball to the side of his helmet, keep his feet and go out of bounds at the 1 yard line. Pandemonium and all that nervous energy laid out a HUGE sigh of relief ROAR in Heinz Field.

What a catch. One of the best I've seen in crunch time.

Best post that I've read in a while. Good job, brother.
:applaudit:

[On a related topic: Brown also made the catch that sealed the play-off victory against the NYJets.]

Hawaii 5-0
06-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers front office says WR Mike Wallace should be with team

June 14, 2012
By Eric Schmidt

Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Wallace might be “60 Minutes” on the field but his time is running out to sign his tender offer with the franchise. Wallace, seeking a long-term contract with the club was slapped with the franchise tag, a move which will pay the productive receiver $2.7 million this season. In Wallace’s eyes, that is not enough and he continues to refuse to sign his tender offer, staying away from all team offseason activities.

The standoff between the receiver and the Steelers has been well documented this offseason but it is now drawing the ire of Pittsburgh’s ownership. Steelers owner Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette, “He should be here.”

If Wallace does not sign his tender offer by Friday, the Steelers have the right to reduce his offer by as much as $2 million dollars. The Steelers have been up against the salary cap for most of the offseason and while Wallace is reportedly desiring a Larry Fitzgerald, $100 million dollar contract, that doesn’t appear to be a reasonable option at this point.

Wallace has missed all the team’s offseason workouts and the Steelers have hired Todd Haley as the new offensive coordinator. Several players have said that they are struggling to learn Haley’s new system with QB Ben Roethlisberger claiming he is struggling with the verbiage. Wallace is behind the learning curve in the team’s new offense.

Head coach Mike Tomlin told the Post-Gazette that he didn’t believe Wallace would be out of shape however when he eventually returns to camp. “Mike has always been a guy who’s in tip top condition over a 12-month calendar since we had him. He’s a sharp guy. I’m sure he’s working at the learning element of it. But there’s no substitute for being here and being around your teammates and learning the nuances and learning from other people’s mistakes.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_front_office_says_wr_mike_wall ace_should_be_with_team/11011442

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM

You forgot Mike Wallace running the wrong route during the Superbowl and causing a costly interception that very well could be blamed for losing the game to Green Bay.

Not only does he not show up or make big plays in big games, but he also makes costly mistakes.

BROWN > WALLACE

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Steelers Break For Offseason: See You At Camp Mike?

Jun 15th, 2012 by KimmySteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/5856788-206x300.jpg?24478c

The Steelers are about to embark on their summer vacations before returning to Latrobe for the official start to the 2012-13 season. By all accounts OTAs and Minicamp were successful as the team transitions to a younger defense and a brand new offense. Of course it’s difficult if not impossible to truly judge how successful the team will be under these changes considering there were no pads or hitting involved, but most if not all of Steeler Nation is very optimistic about the upcoming season. However it’s not that easy to keep the warm and fuzzies about the situation considering there is some definite unfinished business to attend to. The question on everyone’s mind –besides whether or not Big Ben’s son will be born during the season or not- is how much longer will Mike Wallace go without signing?

Today marks the deadline the Wallace had to sign his $2.7 million tender before the Steelers were entitled to reduce the amount significantly. The organization has already stated they will not be lowering his tender at all and are committed to signing Mike to a long term deal. Unfortunately reports are that there has been little to no movement in negotiations at this point. Earlier this week at the beginning of Minicamp Steelers president Art Rooney II was questioned about Wallace’s absence from the team activities and he replied, “He should be here.”

With opinions being like a certain body part, this situation is no different. Everyone has a different view on what the Steelers should do about Wallace and what Wallace should do from here on out. Fans never like a hold out. The issue of money and contracts will forever be a source of disconnect between athletes and fans, there’s just no way around it. Most people say Wallace is being greedy and is just after the Megatron and Fitzgerald money he was rumored to be asking for during the free agency period. The Steelers have a certain reputation for rewarding player with the big contracts on their time, not the players’ expectations. So far that has worked for them, only rarely has a player successfully held out for more money or a longer contract and the last one to do that was Hines Ward in 2005.

The most common viewpoint on how this situation is going is that Wallace is trying to hold out for some giant payday and doesn’t really care about the Steelers or the fans or loyalty and he hates puppies. Well I’m not really sure about his feelings towards puppies but in reality we don’t really know his true position on the contract situation ether. It dawned on me, especially seeing as how he was unsuccessful at grabbing a big contract when he was testing the free agency waters that he might just be after a long term deal with the Steelers after all. No team was willing to give up a big contract plus a first round draft pick for Wallace as a RFA and if he doesn’t have a good season this year with the Steelers it’s unlikely another team will cough up a bunch of money for him next year.

Clearly the money is part of the issue as well or else a deal would have been done by now. But let’s not jump to conclusions that Wallace isn’t on board with the Steeler way of doing things and is only seeing dollar signs. I tend to think that neither he nor his agent are morons and have some misconception that they could be the first athlete/agent combo to strong arm the Steelers into giving up a bigger contract than they want to. I think they realize that there is a ceiling the Steelers won’t go over in the money category so it would be futile to blow the season in an attempt to make Wallace a top paid wide receiver. I would think that both sides can recognize that although Wallace had a less than stellar second half of last season he clearly outperformed his contract. It really only hurts Wallace if he’s going to hold out till November to sign so I seriously doubt that’s going to happen either. The Steelers can manage the season and be successful without Wallace in the lineup. Remember what Ike said “You need football more than football needs you.”

Honestly, I was expecting to get word on the 14th that Wallace had signed the tender and was going to show up for the last day of Minicamp at least. Unfortunately that was not the case. However, I’m somehow feeling more optimistic about the situation now than before. I realize that he just missed out on OTAs and Minicamp as well as the crazy hat contest, but he’s got the playbook, there’s no reason to think he’s not keeping himself in excellent condition, and there’s plenty of time from now until training camp opens. Since this has gone on longer than anyone had expected it’s making me lean towards the idea that Wallace is more after locking down a long term deal with the Steelers rather than just trying to hold their feet to the flame for big bucks. If I was a betting girl, I’d put money on Wallace being there with his pillows and gaming system ready to check into the dorms at St. Vincent College in July. I think the deal gets done sooner rather than later. But that could just be all the optimism I have about the younger defense and brand new offense spilling over.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/15/steelers-break-for-offseason-see-you-at-camp-mike/

Ricco Suavez
06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I keep hoping the Steelers and Wallace can come to an agreement, yet with every passing day I have more doubts creep into my thoughts. I did not buy into the Fitz type money earlier but as more time passes I think there is at least some truth in what Wallace and his agent really want. I fear we may lose him or worst sign a discontented player similar to the Desean season of a year or so ago. I secretly hoped we would of traded him draft day for at least a second round pick or swapped picks with someone higher in the second and received a third round pick also. Alas it did not happen and now we have a stalemate that could linger until the start of the next season and beyond.

zcoop
06-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I keep hoping the Steelers and Wallace can come to an agreement, yet with every passing day I have more doubts creep into my thoughts. I did not buy into the Fitz type money earlier but as more time passes I think there is at least some truth in what Wallace and his agent really want. I fear we may lose him or worst sign a discontented player similar to the Desean season of a year or so ago. I secretly hoped we would of traded him draft day for at least a second round pick or swapped picks with someone higher in the second and received a third round pick also. Alas it did not happen and now we have a stalemate that could linger until the start of the next season and beyond.

It'll be over soon. :wink02:

Steelersfan87
06-15-2012, 08:11 PM
You forgot Mike Wallace running the wrong route during the Superbowl and causing a costly interception that very well could be blamed for losing the game to Green Bay.

Not only does he not show up or make big plays in big games, but he also makes costly mistakes.

BROWN > WALLACE

Yeah, you're going to have to prove that.

Either way, it's still ridiculous to judge a 3 year player based on 4 postseason games, one of which was with a highly gimpy QB. If Brown had the same "attitude" as Wallace and spoke with a Louisiana accent and didn't smile all the time, everybody would be saying Wallace > Brown. Brown is the more likable guy. He hasn't shown enough on the field yet to say he's the better receiver.

Kingmagyar
06-16-2012, 11:09 AM
You have to conclude from other contracts Wallace and his agent want at least 10 million per year. A new emphasis by Todd Haley on an ensemble offense means less throws to him and the need to not rely on just one receiver. If Emanuel Sanders can prove the ability to catch the deep ball which he hasn't yet the Steelers know they could let Wallace go for sure and be alright.

I'm hoping the Steelers don't fold in this situation and give in, especially when they still have the ability to franchise him the next two years. Why would they? Let him prove it on the field this year in Haley's offense.

And how about the Ravens paying Boldin 8 million per? Is he worth that? Won't be too long before he will be a salary cap casualty. .

Steelersfan87
06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Giving Wallace $10M a year is better salary cap wise than franchising him you know.

Millers the sh!t
06-17-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm not happy with Wallace either. If hes in it only for money then Let him go if he's gonna be a hassle. Let him make his money on a shit team making half the stats he is now. WR's are selfish and want both the dollars and the stats. It's hard to make both, so either way that fool will be unhappy.

People that make 70,000 a year aren't any happier finically than people who make a million+ a year. If Wallace had half a brain he'd "settle" for less money and stay with one of the best teams in football history and be part of a legendary product that money can't buy.

If he's that stubborn then it only adds validity to my signature.

Millers the sh!t
06-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Yeah, you're going to have to prove that.

Either way, it's still ridiculous to judge a 3 year player based on 4 postseason games, one of which was with a highly gimpy QB. If Brown had the same "attitude" as Wallace and spoke with a Louisiana accent and didn't smile all the time, everybody would be saying Wallace > Brown. Brown is the more likable guy. He hasn't shown enough on the field yet to say he's the better receiver.

Very true.

I've seen Brown drop many passes that would easily be scrutinized by many.

BUT, Having said that, attitude goes a long way....

So I'd take Brown over Wallace if we had to make a choice.

teegre
06-18-2012, 08:44 AM
He hasn't shown enough on the field yet to say he's the better receiver.

Who is the better WR is sort of irrelevant (although, I am one of the few who believes that in a year or two, Brown has the skillset to indeed become the better WR...but, that's not the point I want to discuss right now).

Wallace is amazing, and ANY Steelers fan would be crazy not to want him. BUT...this comes down to leverage. With Brown & Sanders waiting in the wings, the Steelers are less likely to shell out, overpay, or be held "hostage" (for lack of a better word) by Wallace.

If the Steelers had scrub A & scrub B...well, then Wallace would have some leverage. But, the Steelers have one budding star (Brown was second in all-purpose yardage) and one very intriguing prospect (Sanders had Darrelle Revis spinning the wrong way, when they faced each other).

Of course, the Steelers want Wallace...but, considering that they have two WRs who could lessen the blow, it decreases the odds that they will overpay. Make sense?

Curtain_of_Steel
06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Once we sign Wallace they will critique Brown here as well, than he will become the greedy guy etc. How Wallace is better, drops less etc. Brown makes porr route decisions and so on.

Can't wait to hear what Brown is "thinking" from the brain trust here. The in between the line guys, lol What he really meant to say when he said what he said!

Cherinko
06-18-2012, 09:07 AM
9 catches, 89 yards, while not bad, is shit for someone who's asking for superstar money. if he wants fitz money, then i wanna see fitz production or bye bye.

If you don't like the guy that's fine. 9 catches for 86 yards is a tier A performance. It's a hell of a lot more than "not bad". The reception count blows by Fitzgerald production and the yardage is Fitzgerald production.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-18-2012, 09:40 AM
The author of the original article that was referenced in this thread, Jeff Schull, is the resident NY Giants blogger for Rantsports. He looks like he is 19 in his picture.

Can I at least get a blog posted from a 19 year old Steelers fan about the Mike Wallace situation?? I dont trust Giants fans to comment about the situation with the Steelers.:doh:

Curtain_of_Steel
06-18-2012, 10:20 AM
The big problem with the contrcact situation which of course is not a bad thing is, is the silence. A side from Rooney one time stamping his feet, there is no information out there to even form an opinion on good, bad or other wise.

Which I don't think is is a bad thing, providing he is here for the start of camp. There is probably 5 1/2 weeks of silience to come before some leaks come out as than each side will want to paint the picture in their own light.

Bottom line is, the salaries are set out there for the top recievers on each team. Jackson, Bowe, Smith etc. Just like slotting the draft picks, this comes into play to a point as well.Unless Mike is over reaching, which we do not know, or the Steelers think he will play for 6 million, which Mike won't and we do not know what the Rooneys offered yet.

xbroughneck
06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
The big problem with the contrcact situation which of course is not a bad thing is, is the silence. A side from Rooney one time stamping his feet, there is no information out there to even form an opinion on good, bad or other wise.

Which I don't think is is a bad thing, providing he is here for the start of camp. There is probably 5 1/2 weeks of silience to come before some leaks come out as than each side will want to paint the picture in their own light.

Bottom line is, the salaries are set out there for the top recievers on each team. Jackson, Bowe, Smith etc. Just like slotting the draft picks, this comes into play to a point as well.Unless Mike is over reaching, which we do not know, or the Steelers think he will play for 6 million, which Mike won't and we do not know what the Rooneys offered yet.

Antonio Brown is the top receiver on this roster right now. When Mike Wallace proves he's going to consistently be the top guy he'll be paid as such.

Which receiver does everyone think will get the most catches this year?

pete74
06-18-2012, 03:09 PM
We need Wallace but there is no doubt in my mind Brown is the better WR.

stb_steeler
06-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Antonio Brown is the top receiver on this roster right now. When Mike Wallace proves he's going to consistently be the top guy he'll be paid as such.

Which receiver does everyone think will get the most catches this year?

Brown...we all know that Wallace draws the double coverage!

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Let me know when Brown becomes reliable in the end zone and I'll give him the edge. He has basically half a season of production so far.

pete74
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
i just read a article were jerry rice had brown and not wallace as a top 5 wr under 27

Fire Arians
06-18-2012, 07:55 PM
i just read a article were jerry rice had brown and not wallace as a top 5 wr under 27

brown's work ethic reminds me of jerry rice. that guy ate, slept, and shit football

Hawaii 5-0
06-18-2012, 08:27 PM

Ranking the NFL's top young wide receivers

By Marc Sessler
June 16, 2012

With Miles Austin in the house, Dez Bryant might not be the best receiver on the Dallas Cowboys, even if the team insists otherwise.

Hall of Fame wideout Jerry Rice sees what most of us see, a great talent in the making, if Bryant wants to be.

"I had a chance to meet this guy in Dallas and he's a humongous receiver," Rice said on ESPN's "NFL Live" this week, per The Dallas Morning News. "If he can get his head on straight, Tony Romo's going to look for him more and they're going to be incredible out on the football field."

Rice included Bryant, 23, on his list of the top six NFL receivers under the age of 26.

Rice listed his six-pack in alphabetical order, but we'll take a shot at ranking his picks from top to bottom:

1. Victor Cruz (25), New York Giants: Strangely, the oldest of the bunch, but Cruz has quickly become the game's most exciting slot receiver.

2. A.J. Green (23), Cincinnati Bengals: Completely transformed Cincy's offense and should only improve after a full offseason with Andy Dalton.

3. Dez Bryant (23): Does he want to be a great player? It's tough to rank him this high until we know the answer. He has all the potential to lead Dallas out of the woods.

4. Percy Harvin (24), Minnesota Vikings: I want to rank Harvin higher. He means so much to the Vikings, but durability remains an issue.

5. Antonio Brown (23), Pittsburgh Steelers: Reliable and productive. Ben Roethlisberger knows he can count on Brown's hands time and again.

6. Julio Jones (24), Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons sold the house to acquire Jones and he didn't disappoint. He'll be leaned on heavily in 2012.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829e22f4/article/ranking-the-nfls-top-young-wide-receivers