PDA

View Full Version : Expansion teams in Pittsburgh

Go 'Lers
06-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Will there ever be another pro sports franchise to come to the city of Pittsburgh? Let's explore the options and see...

National Basketball Association: Now I know we have talked about this from time to time. Why not. We have a new arena, stable economy, Mark Cuban has lobbied several times to say we can support it. Despite a very good market in Pittsburgh, another team would do more to stretch our dollars thin.

Verdict: Nagonna happen

Reason: A balance of 3 of the 4 major sports leagues in one city of our size is a good balance for right now. Besides, the NBA's only option is to relocate a team rather than expand and we certainly don't want any other cities team, we want a team of our own.

Major League Soccer: here is a sport with rapidly growing popularity (no, really) and an increasing number of youth signing up for leagues. Some think we are moving away from "contact heavy" sports, others see the world most beloved game finally washing up on our shores. Either way, this would be the perfect time to get a team for less than it will be later. After all, Rooney saw the opportunity with football back in the 30's and look how that worked out! It's time to do it again.

Verdict: despite all what I wrote above, it won't happen.

Reason: the team in Columbus already wears black and yellow!

...but in all seriousness, I truly believe a soccer team is the way to go. We already have a great stadium and just use the lower bowl of Heinz Field. The price of a franchise is substantially going to be cheaper now then when the league has grown to 30.

What are your thoughts?

steelfury02
06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
some circles felt we would lose the Pirates before we would ever get any other team in town - I'd love to see an NBA team in Pittsburgh, although do enjoy watching the world cup - just can't get into the league on any regular basis

- with Pirates still not really filling the seats despite a little upswing, don't know where a new team would pull ticket sales from - I have zero clue about where most of the income for a team usually comes from - but I'd think that without a rabid interest I agree, prob neither going to happen. I'm sure at first, like opening any new field, there would be a brief explosion of attendance just to check it out, but then fizzle. Just mho :)

Curtain_of_Steel
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Doubtful Pitt will get a basketball team. Pirates and Penguins have enough problems extracting funds from its fans.

DoctorCAD
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Soccer???

Mistah_Q
06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Give it 20 years. Pittsburgh is pretty much at the cusp of finally beginning a population recovery... played right the "Cleveburgh corridor" has the potential to become a major world economic zone. Will it happen? Let's wait and see...

jjpro11
06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Doubtful Pitt will get a basketball team. Pirates and Penguins have enough problems extracting funds from its fans.

really? the Penguins aren't having any trouble right now with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and the current core. As long as those guys are still wearing black and gold, it's going to be mighty hard bringing a basketball team in and having to compete with a successful Penguins team with an already established fan base.

the NBA isn't exactly thriving right now in terms of popularity either. i wouldn't even think about it for another 10-15 years if the Penguins are in the dumps again.

Go 'Lers
06-15-2012, 05:11 PM

The teams mentioned above are still doing fine with getting ticket revenue (even the Pirates) but I agree that we wont see an NBA team anytime soon for two reasons

Our population
The media market would be stretched too thin with a new team AS WELL AS college teams

Soccer???

YES, soccer is rising in popularity. I want Pittsburgh to stay ahead of the curb just like Art Rooney did when he brought an NFL team to the city even when people said he was nuts!

JCPsteelers
06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Don't see it. Not enough of a population base to support 4 pro franchises.

That's not to say I wouldn't have loved a NBA team in the Burgh but don't see it happening anytime soon regardless of the new arena. Besides the NBA is finding out that some of the strongest franchises are in towns where they are the only game in town like OKC and Spurs.

PhantomJB93
06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
If OKLAHOMA CITY can support a basketball team, we can. People say we won't support it, but we've never been given a chance to. All the teams that folded were in the late 60's, times have changed and they would easily thrive here.

Yinzers can say they hate the NBA all they want, but the truth is if you had a team to root for you'd get into it.

I will never care about a soccer team. I couldn't care less if an MLS franchise made it here.

OX1947
06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I have been noticing how Pittsburgh is becoming a little more mainstream in the sense that they are filming more and more films in Pittsburgh. Steelers are still a blue collar city but I think for it to get back to being a mainstream city in America, they would have to turn it's city into a Chicago style city. More modern culture and current attractions. The Pirates and Pens need a billionaire to buy those teams who doesnt really concern himself with the bottom line. The Steelers are in the NFL, plus the Rooney's are great business men, they are already a billion dollar business. The Pirates and Pens need a Mark Cuban type. One of my dreams is to continue to do well in business and in 20 years, buy the Pens. I might not be accepted into the good ole boy club in baseball, but I would love to own the Pens.

jjpro11
06-18-2012, 01:07 AM
I have been noticing how Pittsburgh is becoming a little more mainstream in the sense that they are filming more and more films in Pittsburgh. Steelers are still a blue collar city but I think for it to get back to being a mainstream city in America, they would have to turn it's city into a Chicago style city. More modern culture and current attractions. The Pirates and Pens need a billionaire to buy those teams who doesnt really concern himself with the bottom line. The Steelers are in the NFL, plus the Rooney's are great business men, they are already a billion dollar business. The Pirates and Pens need a Mark Cuban type. One of my dreams is to continue to do well in business and in 20 years, buy the Pens. I might not be accepted into the good ole boy club in baseball, but I would love to own the Pens.

money isn't the problem for the Penguins, at least not any more. they have a new arena and a team stacked with stars (who are paid well).

i am not a Pirates fan (although i'd see them winning), but i do know the Indians run into the same problem year after year with having to let good players walk because of lack of money. if you could get a super rich billionaire to buy a team, you'd want it to be the Pirates because there is no salary cap. he could spend his money freely; with hockey, he'd be limited to what he could spend.

tanda10506
06-18-2012, 03:04 AM
I guess it's selfish but I don't like the idea of a second non contact sport in Pittsburgh. IMO baseball gets a pass since it is America's first major sport, but when I hear Pittsburgh sports I think a knockout on the ice or Gregg Lloyd knocking Al Toon clean the f*** out and counting him out, not anything associated with soccer or basketball. Not trying to knock soccer or basketball, it just fit in Pittsburgh IMO.

Rick5895
06-18-2012, 04:53 AM
I guess it's selfish but I don't like the idea of a second non contact sport in Pittsburgh. IMO baseball gets a pass since it is America's first major sport, but when I hear Pittsburgh sports I think a knockout on the ice or Gregg Lloyd knocking Al Toon clean the f*** out and counting him out, not anything associated with soccer or basketball. Not trying to knock soccer or basketball, it just fit in Pittsburgh IMO.

I'm with you on soccer, but have you watched basketball, it gets down right nasty under the boards. Lots of contact in a sport which tries to be "non-contact" LOL.
Soccer is absolutely the wrong pro sport for Pittsburgh.

steelfury02
06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
the one way I think an NBA could work would be if it were an Allegheny team that pulled interest from a few states much like the NE Patriots. There are plenty of people in eastern ohio,western md, west virginia, (even north, north western parts of virginia), and of course, western to central pa and even the Buffalo area that are originally from Pittsburgh and have no love for any other NBA teams, even when Lebron was in Cleveland and no one is a Wizards fan - maybe that approach might work? thoughts?

pancake
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Soccer???

I hate soccer... lol

tanda10506
06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm with you on soccer, but have you watched basketball, it gets down right nasty under the boards. Lots of contact in a sport which tries to be "non-contact" LOL.
Soccer is absolutely the wrong pro sport for Pittsburgh.

Yeah I've watched it a lot since I'm 50 miles from Staples Center and my work used to give us Laker tickets, there's no question it gets physical going for the boards and boxing out, but it's nothing compared to football and IMO is out of place in Pittsburgh.

Rick5895
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
The teams mentioned above are still doing fine with getting ticket revenue (even the Pirates) but I agree that we wont see an NBA team anytime soon for two reasons

Our population
The media market would be stretched too thin with a new team AS WELL AS college teams

YES, soccer is rising in popularity. I want Pittsburgh to stay ahead of the curb just like Art Rooney did when he brought an NFL team to the city even when people said he was nuts!

Soccer doesn't deserve to be discussed on a STEELERS board. And it certainly not worry of any discussion regardless of its alleged popularity. IMO.

Hawaii 5-0
06-24-2012, 01:31 AM
I hate soccer... lol

soccer is the world's most beautiful game...:thumbsup:

http://www.smilorama.com/img/people/soccer_can_be_exciting_sexy_soccer_babes/soccer_can_be_exciting_sexy_soccer_babes01.jpg

Bayz101
06-24-2012, 01:34 AM
:lust:

Looks like i'll need to make a soccer thread for the adult forum! Woohoo!

Hawaii 5-0
06-24-2012, 02:22 AM
:lust:

Looks like i'll need to make a soccer thread for the adult forum! Woohoo!

personally, I can't understand how anyone doesn't like soccer...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/097/298/Argentina_display_image.jpg?1310743523http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/096/413/0219852155085_display_image_display_image.jpg?1310 743522http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/096/302/20sexy-soccer-fans_81436_display_image_display_image.jpg?1310743 523

sluggermatt15
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
IMO Pittsburgh won't acquire another professional sports franchise, such as an NBA or professional soccer team.

I would consider the Pitt Panthers to be the "basketball team" in Pittsburgh. The program wins on a consistent basis (minus the down year last year), recruits well, and draws a lot of fans.

I think one reason why arena football came to Pittsburgh is the success of the Steelers. Pittsburghers love their Steelers, and because we have been successful over the past 40 years, I think there is a high level of enthusiasm for football in the city. So it made sense an arena football franchise came to town.