PDA

View Full Version : Whats the word on Sly

WokeUpWithaWoodley
06-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Any news about how Stevenson Sylvester is looking in these mini camps as far as understanding the defense and being a capable backup to foote or push him for the spot?

Steelersfan87
06-17-2012, 12:17 AM
He's been limited with an injury that I believe has been undisclosed up until this point. Kevin Colbert also said in a recent interview that he had some injury issues during the past season that hampered him as well.

Millers the sh!t
06-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Birds the word.

Good question. I'm quite curious too. I've read an article on yardbarker.com that wasn't sounding too promising. Some crap about him only playing decent ball on spec. Teams. Blah blah blah....

That's just one journalist opinion though.

I'd appreciate any added input.

Hawaii 5-0
06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I think Sly is going to be competing with newly-signed Brandon Johnson for a roster spot and my money is on Johnson who is very good on special teams.

Millers the sh!t
06-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Yep, that's basically what I've read 5-0.

I've liked Sylvester. Definitely didn't hate on him..... I hope he breaks out.

Hawaii 5-0
06-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Yep, that's basically what I've read 5-0.

I've liked Sylvester. Definitely didn't hate on him..... I hope he breaks out.

me too, may the better man win.

wonder what Sly's undisclosed injury is that has kept him out of OTAs?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-17-2012, 10:12 AM
. I've read an article on yardbarker.com that wasn't sounding too promising. Some crap about him only playing decent ball on spec. Teams. Blah blah blah....

That's just one journalist opinion though.

Was that the opinion of a Journalist, or just some blogger that hasn't even seen Sylvester play?

Hawaii 5-0
06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Was that the opinion of a Journalist, or just some blogger that hasn't even seen Sylvester play?

it was by Dave Bryan from Steelers Depot and he's very knowledgeable:

Just How Safe Is Steelers Inside Linebacker Stevenson Sylvester?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed veteran inside linebacker Brandon Johnson to the roster on Wednesday and immediately the status of 2010 fifth round draft pick Stevenson Sylvester is called into question.

The first thing that you have to keep in mind is that the Steelers are apparently down three linebacker bodies at mini-camp as James Harrison, Jason Worilds and Sylvester are sidelined right now. Harrison reportedly has fluid on his knee and Worilds is recovering from off-season wrist surgery. The nature of the Sylvester injury is still unknown at this time, but he reportedly missed some time during the OTA sessions in addition. Add all of this up and you can see why Johnson, who was worked out by the Steelers back in early May, was signed.

Sylvester has seen just over 70 snaps on defense during his first two seasons in the league, many of which have come late in blow-out games. 35 of those 70 plus snaps came against the New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens in weeks 8 and 9 last season due to injuries to the Steelers linebacker corps, and the Utah product did not flash in either of those two games. Sylvester has contributed on special teams during his first two seasons, but that is about it.

Early in the off-season the Steelers released veteran James Farrior and it was thought that Sylvester would possibly be a lock to back up veteran Larry Foote as the strong-side linebacker in 2012. Following the selection of inside linebacker Sean Spence in the third round of the draft back in April, linebacker coach Keith Butler was asked if Sylvester has long-term starting potential. "I need to see more from him," said Butler. "He might think he does, but he has to convince me first." Butler also noted that his young linebackers missed valuable time last off-season because of the lockout. "What probably hurt our young guys last year, (Stevenson and Worilds) those two guys didn’t have OTAs. Most of the time young linebackers get better their second year because of the OTAs," said Butler. "The first year, they come in and they go through a complex system. They’re having to think out there, and as a consequence they don’t move very fast. They’re thinking. The next year they come in and it’s night and day for them because of repetition. They go, “Oh, that’s what we did. That makes sense now.” They move much faster. Well, these guys didn’t have the benefit of those OTAs, and we had to get them in training camp and they were like rookies. Instead of having the OTAs and the minicamp again and then the training camp, they just had training camp. We took out two-thirds of that process for them to learn by having the lockout. That hurt them quite a bit in my opinion, and Jason Worilds really came on for us at the end of the year. I’m sure that Sly will do the same thing this year."

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert was asked about Sylvester last Thursday when OTA sessions wrapped up, and if he would compete with Foote for the starting BUCK position this season. "Yeah, we have Larry and we have Stevenson Sylvester, who had a good rookie year, especially on special teams," said Colbert. Last year he had a little bit of a knee problem that nagged him and held him back for the season. They'll come in and they'll compete for that spot. Of course Larry is a veteran, and he will be ahead of him right now, but Sly will definitely give him some competition, because like I said, the rookie year we were kind of excited in him, but last year he had a couple of setbacks."

The comments that Colbert made were pretty generic, just as one would expect, but he did reveal that Sylvester had a knee problem that nagged him last year. Sylvester also showed up on the injury report with calf injury last year, but he was only inactive for the week 12 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

While Sylvester has made his mark on special teams, the recently signed Johnson is also known as a superb special teams player, and was even the special teams captain at one time when he was with the Cincinnati Bengals. Johnson, while not regarded as a full-time starter type of player, has played both the strong-side and weak-side over the course of his career. Also not to be forgotten is inside linebacker Mortty Ivy, who reportedly had a good training camp with the Steelers last year and former Florida linebacker Brandon Hicks, who Butler noted last Thursday as a player that had caught his eye during the OTA sessions.

While roster moves, OTA reports and injury reports in June have to be taken with a grain of salt, you have to think that Sylvester has secured absolutely nothing in regard to a 53 man roster spot this year with training camp just a little more than a month away. Missing precious time on the field because of an injury does not help his cause and he needs to make sure he is 100% healthy by the time the team reports to Latrobe. It's not time to throw him out with bath water just yet, but his situation certainly is worth paying attention to once training camp begins.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ester/11004383

Steelersfan87
06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Gonzo, do you actually value the FILM STUDY ABILITIES of journalists more than "bloggers"? Pretty sure journalists have no particular aptitude for breaking down game film, so I don't see why their opinions of how a player performed during the season should be more highly valued by default.

Besides, all Bryan said was that he didn't "flash" in the two games he saw significant reps. Any idiot could reach that conclusion successfully, because he didn't "flash" at all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Gonzo, do you actually value the FILM STUDY ABILITIES of journalists more than "bloggers"? Pretty sure journalists have no particular aptitude for breaking down game film, so I don't see why their opinions of how a player performed during the season should be more highly valued by default.

Besides, all Bryan said was that he didn't "flash" in the two games he saw significant reps. Any idiot could reach that conclusion successfully, because he didn't "flash" at all.

Why do you trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box, locker rooms or that have relationships with team officials??

Your point about a blogger making the same conclusion as "any idiot" is pretty much the reason that I think they both have the same validity, unless I can see some kind of documented CV or experience.

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 04:12 AM
I would love to hear how you concluded that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box" from what I said above. My point was that regarding some things, such as evaluation of how a player performed during the season, a professional journalist and an amateur one (aka a "blogger") are essentially on equal footing. Both of them have the same amount of access to the game footage. Now, why do YOU think an "accredited journalist" is more fit to give a player evaluation than a blogger, or at least a 'good' blogger? I honestly think that Dave Bryan probably watches more game tape on the Steelers than just about any Pittsburgh journalist out there. In fact, writers from the Tribune have cited Bryan's work before, and he's been frequently appearing on their online radio show recently as well, so his insights are clearly respected by some coveted "accredited journalists".

Now, the question is, does it matter if anybody said that Sylvester did not light up the playing field in his limited snaps on defense? I honestly can't imagine anybody that watched his regular season defensive snaps concluding anything but average at best play. Do you disagree? Do you think Sylvester looked like a hidden gem during his play against the Patriots and Ravens? Because that's what really matters here, not who said what and what that who's credentials are. I have yet to read anybody anywhere with any level of credibility say much of anything overly positive about Sylvester's play last year on defense, and that's probably because he didn't manage to do anything, and frankly looked uncomfortable.

Rick5895
06-18-2012, 04:47 AM
This will be Stevensons 3rd season with the Steelers, if he makes the team, something I doubt. Yes he did miss OTA's last season, however, he still had training camp, practice during the season and the experience of last season being his second. He should have at least picked up some of the defense. He appeared to not. He started 2 games and didn't register a tackle, and to me that is incredulous. A starting inside linebacker in our system not registering a tackle in 2 games playing the "buck". He registered a total of 7 tackles (4 solo and 3 assists) last season, that's not good enough for a special teams "ace" either. If those tackles were made in the 2 games he started then fine but they weren't.
I think the signing of the veteran ILB /special teams player and the fact the coaches appear to be impressed by IVY and the kid from Florida are very telling of Sly's future as a Steeler. It's either to lite a fire under him or to replace him. Guess we will find out which it is come training camp.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I would love to hear how you concluded that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation to the press box" from what I said above. My point was that regarding some things, such as evaluation of how a player performed during the season, a professional journalist and an amateur one (aka a "blogger") are essentially on equal footing. Both of them have the same amount of access to the game footage. Now, why do YOU think an "accredited journalist" is more fit to give a player evaluation than a blogger, or at least a 'good' blogger? I honestly think that Dave Bryan probably watches more game tape on the Steelers than just about any Pittsburgh journalist out there. In fact, writers from the Tribune have cited Bryan's work before, and he's been frequently appearing on their online radio show recently as well, so his insights are clearly respected by some coveted "accredited journalists".

Now, the question is, does it matter if anybody said that Sylvester did not light up the playing field in his limited snaps on defense? I honestly can't imagine anybody that watched his regular season defensive snaps concluding anything but average at best play. Do you disagree? Do you think Sylvester looked like a hidden gem during his play against the Patriots and Ravens? Because that's what really matters here, not who said what and what that who's credentials are. I have yet to read anybody anywhere with any level of credibility say much of anything overly positive about Sylvester's play last year on defense, and that's probably because he didn't manage to do anything, and frankly looked uncomfortable.

I apologize that I dont have time to read your laundry list of circlular questions and assertions. Honestly, after reading posts where you twice refer to Bruce Arians as the Steelers head coach......the rest is gibberish.

The series of events that lead to misinformation by some bloggers can be illustrated in this very thread:

1. Blogger watches some Steelers games and posts opinion on Sylvester.
2. Steeler fan reads blog that says "Sylvester only playing well on special teams", like Millerstheshit posted in post #3 of this thread.
3. Opinions snowball in fan forum's that Sylvester has not been playing well in OTA's or only showing promise in Special Teams, as fans believe the blog is reliable reporting and that Sylvester is on the way out.

Facts could be that Keith Butler thinks Sly is the 2nd coming of Derrick Brooks, but the blogger never interviewed coach Butler, rather just watched some games and posted his opinion.

I am sure that some bloggers are better than others, but none of them seem to post their background or experience. Until then I will rely on the writings/postings of guys like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Jay Glazer, etc. I just don't have time to read blogs from guys that work at Best Buy during the day and have a Steelers blog.

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I apologize that I dont have time to read your laundry list of circlular questions and assertions. Honestly, after reading posts where you twice refer to Bruce Arians as the Steelers head coach......the rest is gibberish.

Okay, first of all, how is your first comment anything more than just you being an asshole? Because I accidentally wrote "head coach" instead of what I obviously meant to write ("offensive coordinator") you can't take me seriously? That sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to avoid responding to something that you have no argument against. You want to believe that Sylvester played quite well on defense last year because you like the player, so instead you throw out ad hominems against people that disagree with that. Why you even bothered to write that is beyond me. Kind of like how the authority of the writer is evidently more important to you than the authority of the argument the writer makes. The fact that you apparently ignore my posts because I accidentally wrote "head coach"? That's pathetic. Pathetic and embarrassing on your part. I apologize for taking you for somebody with more reason than that if what you say above is actually true.

The series of events that lead to misinformation by some bloggers can be illustrated in this very thread:

1. Blogger watches some Steelers games and posts opinion on Sylvester.
2. Steeler fan reads blog that says "Sylvester only playing well on special teams", like Millerstheshit posted in post #3 of this thread.
3. Opinions snowball in fan forum's that Sylvester has not been playing well in OTA's or only showing promise in Special Teams, as fans believe the blog is reliable reporting and that Sylvester is on the way out.

How is this any different than when "an accredited journalist" does the exact same thing? Or do you not realize that it's no different at all? The opinions of "accredited journalists" on the quality of a player is no more or less accurate than amateur journalists, and I don't understand why you would think otherwise. They don't teach you how to break down game footage when you major in journalism, so how would they have any better of a grip on doing so? You think Keith Butler takes Gerry Dulac aside to show him Sylvester's game tape and how to break it down? He doesn't. Journalists are not football analysts and are no more likely to have played the sport or know much about the game's mechanics regardless of whether they are amateur or professional.

Your characterization of the article in question is far from accurate, anyway. Evidently you did not read it. It's no different than some things Dulac and Bouchette write on the PG+ blog where they occasionally speculate on things based on moves the team made. So for your benefit, here's a rundown of the article, which takes as its starting point the signing of Brandon Johnson.

Bryan notes that Sylvester is not the only one who has been limited in OTAs at linebacker and that that is why Johnson was brought in (because they need bodies). He then notes a recent interview by Colbert in which he mentions that "the rookie year we were kind of excited in him, but last year he had a couple of setbacks" due to a lingering knee injury. Bryan earlier notes a personal observation that Sylvester "did not flash" (his exact words) in his extended playing time against the Patriots and Ravens. Which quite frankly I've never seen anybody disagree with. When you consider that he didn't register a single statistic in either game, I find it hard to imagine that anybody could contest the legitimacy of the observation that he "did not flash".

Bryan then goes on to speculate that perhaps Sylvester's roster spot may not just yet be locked up already in mid June, and notes that while Sylvester's contributions thus far in his career have been pretty much entirely on special teams, Johnson is regarded as a high quality special teams player, having been the special teams captain of the Bengals at one point, and also has a chunk of notable starting experience. He also throws in a mention of Mortty Ivy. The bottom line is that he says Sylvester might not be just handed a roster spot on a silver platter but will have to actually fend off the competition, which frankly is reasonable as far as speculation goes. The article says nothing about him being "on the way out".

Facts could be that Keith Butler thinks Sly is the 2nd coming of Derrick Brooks, but the blogger never interviewed coach Butler, rather just watched some games and posted his opinion.

You do realize that access to position coaches is pretty damn minimal, right? And that recent comments that Butler has made about Sylvester have not exactly been glowing praise? He does make note of Butler's comment that Sylvester needs to show him more and that Sylvester "might think he does [have long-term starting potential], but he has to convince me first".

I am sure that some bloggers are better than others, but none of them seem to post their background or experience. Until then I will rely on the writings/postings of guys like Pat Kirwan, Gil Brandt, Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Jay Glazer, etc. I just don't have time to read blogs from guys that work at Best Buy during the day and have a Steelers blog.

You really seem to know nothing about Steelers Depot. It's not your average fan blogger. Average fan bloggers don't have their work cited by Mark Kaboly from the Tribune and are not invited to discuss the Steelers on the Tribune's radio show (http://sportstalk.triblive.com/). It's funny, "accredited journalists" give Dave Bryan more respect than you do. If you actually read Bryan's writings on his site you would be aware that he's not your stereotypical blogger. And maybe you would also realize that your words mean more than your credentials.

Maybe you can actually attempt to address things that I say instead of feigning indifference because I accidentally wrote "head coach" instead of "offensive coordinator" once on an online forum. You give me no reason to believe that you're not just trying to avoid answering questions because you know you have nothing to respond with, because you're quite simply wrong.

And if you're wondering about my tone in this post, it's due to your lack of respect that you chose to show me in yours. I'm not going to respect what you have to say if I have no reason to expect a reciprocation.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Okay, first of all, how is your first comment anything more than just you being an asshole? .

Actually, my first comment was using some of the same language that you used several weeks ago in a thread about Colon. If you believe that condescending comments about others posts in this forum are the actions of an A-hole, then count yourself one.

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Of course that's the only thing you respond to. You must have no argument against anything else I said. Also, please provide your evidence when you make claims. I continuously do so when I make claims as a courtesy to others.

I was really disappointed to see that you chose to take the route that you did in this thread. I'm still incredulous to your first statement because it just sounds completely absurd to dismiss everything a person has to say because he made a typo. But until you for once decide to actually respond to the points that I make, I am left to presume that your ad hominem responses and lack of substance in addressing my points is simply an indication that you can't defend your position. I'd still love to hear what you have to say about Sylvester's few dozen defensive snaps last year that even the coaches seemed underwhelmed by. I also hope that you some day learn that what is written should hold more weight than who wrote it.

teegre
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Sylvester's few dozen defensive snaps last year that even the coaches seemed underwhelmed by.

Agreed: his 2011 season was disappointing, especially after such a promising rookie season.

What could have caused the difference? IMO, I feel that it was a lack of a training camp. Young players need reps & coaching, neither of which Sly received last summer.  

Again, as a rookie, Sly looked outstanding (the Browns game).  Alas, in his second season, he looked lost.  This season, WITH COACHING (via having training camp), I am thinking we'll see more of that player that we saw promise in as a rookie.

Steelersfan87
06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I think it had more to do with the lingering knee injury he had last year. Colbert mentioned it last week, and I believe Butler did as well, but this wasn't known during the season, like Worilds' wrist injury. I think he just needs more reps on defense to get more comfortable and he should be fine. However, I honestly don't know if he'll ever end up starting, and I say this more because of Sean Spence than because of Sylvester. I think Spence will be the next middle linebacker with Timmons after Foote is gone. Of course that's just a prediction

teegre
06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I think it had more to do with the lingering knee injury he had last year. Colbert mentioned it last week, and I believe Butler did as well, but this wasn't known during the season, like Worilds' wrist injury. I think he just needs more reps on defense to get more comfortable and he should be fine. However, I honestly don't know if he'll ever end up starting, and I say this more because of Sean Spence than because of Sylvester. I think Spence will be the next middle linebacker with Timmons after Foote is gone. Of course that's just a prediction

I was unaware of the knee injury; that would make sense, as well.

Sore knee + no training camp = bad season.

Sly has the right temperament. He reminds me of Harrison. I hear you...but I'm not counting him out just yet.

Spence (IMO) is the new breed of ILB: used to negate the recent advent of TEs. Spence will play a LOT...early. Like a nickel-LB (akin to the nickel-CN, except he'll be covering the TEs). I had the kid pegged as a sleeper, like Zach Thomas: not big, but a great player.

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, I actually do like Sylvester a lot. In fact, I liked him more than the other 2 LBs they picked that year, especially relative to their draft status. His game tape from college showed great instincts in coverage that really impressed me, although that hasn't been as apparent in the pros (even in preseason). And while I don't think he will beat Foote out in training camp to start week one (especially if whatever injury he currently has lingers on into preseason), I think there's a VERY real possibility that the team could start Sylvester after a while if Foote stuggles, and I expect the team to rotate him in more this year the way they rotated Farrior and Foote last year. He may even be the starter next season for all I know if they decide not to retain Foote. But I think the long-term goal would be to have Timmons and Spence in the middle, especially when you consider that they used a 3rd rounder on him. And they were really close to drafting Hightower as well if DeCastro had not fallen to them. So while I do agree with the basically universal consensus that Sylvester's current regular season defensive highlight reel is criminally unremarkable, that does not mean that I don't believe he's a good player that can contribute more than just on special teams and might even start some games during the next couple seasons. Right now he's the first LB up in the middle should Timmons or Foote miss a game.

ricardisimo
06-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Hey Dodens, I might be walking into the middle of something I don't understand, but this looks an awful lot like a fight you picked. My question is "why?" You and Gonzo should both consider yourselves quality posters on SF by now, with nothing to prove to anyone. Let's move along if we can't keep it civil.

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Well, I would beg to differ just a bit. I questioned why he believed that professional journalists were more skilled at film study than amateur journalists. He proceeded to claim that I trust amateur journalists more than professional journalists, and when I rebutted that point, he basically said that I'm an idiot not worth taking seriously because I wrote the wrong phrase once. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

The reason that I initially questioned him was, aside from the fact that I see no reason to believe that professional journalists are more skilled at film study than amateur journalists (excluding professional journalists that used to actually be involved in the sport), because I believed that his dismissal of Dave Bryan and his article was triggered by the fact that he likes the player in question, and I wondered if he would have brought up the author's credentials if the author agreed with him to begin with.

teegre
06-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Spence in the middle, especially when you consider that they used a 3rd rounder on him. And they were really close to drafting Hightower as well if DeCastro had not fallen to them.

That is a great point. Sly "might" (or might not) pan out, but the Steelers were absolutely going to draft Hightower (& did indeed draft Spence). Ergo, they obviously see a need for an upgrade.

[Note: The Steelers historically have "over-drafted" LBs. It has worked, condidering they have been 5-6 deep at the position (Harrison behind Porter; Timmons behind Foote). This could just be more of the same...and not necessarily as much about Sly.]

Q: While I prefer Timmons as an ILB, might they be thinking of switching him to OLB (when Harrison retires/is released)? Timmons - Sly - Spence - Woodley [Just some food for thought.]

ricardisimo
06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, I would beg to differ just a bit. I questioned why he believed that professional journalists were more skilled at film study than amateur journalists. He proceeded to claim that I trust amateur journalists more than professional journalists, and when I rebutted that point, he basically said that I'm an idiot not worth taking seriously because I wrote the wrong phrase once. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

The reason that I initially questioned him was, aside from the fact that I see no reason to believe that professional journalists are more skilled at film study than amateur journalists (excluding professional journalists that used to actually be involved in the sport), because I believed that his dismissal of Dave Bryan and his article was triggered by the fact that he likes the player in question, and I wondered if he would have brought up the author's credentials if the author agreed with him to begin with.
I guess my point here is that Hawaii 5-0 answered his question rather succinctly before you had the chance. No need to throw gasoline on that. And yet you did, from my perspective. I could be wrong, but then again an awful lot of conflict on these boards seems to center around you. At some point you have to accept the possibility that everyone else is right and you're wrong. Not factually, mind you, just tonally.

Tone it down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Hey Dodens, I might be walking into the middle of something I don't understand, but this looks an awful lot like a fight you picked.

Ric, I agree with you here. As you know, I have posted on this site for several years and can only think of 1 poster that I ever had a problem with. The rest of the interactions with other posters have been respectful unless provoked.

. I admit that I took umbrage to that "gibberish" comment, which, following his decision to not actually answer the questions that I raised, set me off. I felt that he unnecessarily disrespected me.

I used the "gibberish" comment as somewhat of an experiment. That is a comment that you referred to one of my posts about Willie Colon being better suited to guard as. I used your same verbage to see how you would react and of course you come off with an A-hole blast........classy. :thumbsup:

I would suggest that you treat posters the same way that you would like to be treated, or else be more tolerant of when they treat you in the same manner.

I dont come here to pick internet fights or promote anything I have, just talk Steeler football with fellow fans. If you want to post opinions that you believe are the final word, on every topic that you weigh in on and then criticize all who have a different opinion......then expect criticism in return.

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I guess my point here is that Hawaii 5-0 answered his question rather succinctly before you had the chance. No need to throw gasoline on that. And yet you did, from my perspective. I could be wrong, but then again an awful lot of conflict on these boards seems to center around you. At some point you have to accept the possibility that everyone else is right and you're wrong. Not factually, mind you, just tonally.

Tone it down.

Okay, well this is my perspective. I asked him a question. I wasn't answering a question, I was asking him a question. Then he made an accusation (that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation"). I used capital letters in my initial question, but that was to emphasize the subject of my question, not to shout. It's also not the first time that he's accused me of saying things that I haven't, either, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I generally only take a blunt tone when it's met with an equally blunt tone as well. I don't know what to do. People give me reputation points for sticking up for myself and defending my positions, so I'm getting mixed messages here. Maybe my tone is less light-hearted than most here, but I'm a serious person in general. And I also question people when I think they've gotten something wrong. I look back and read this thread and I see me asking a question, and I don't see anything wrong with asking that question. I see 3 words in capitals and I see the word idiot, although I didn't call anybody an idiot. Is this aggressive?

Edit: I decided to PM Gonzo instead of furthering this here.

ricardisimo
06-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Okay, well this is my perspective. I asked him a question. I wasn't answering a question, I was asking him a question. Then he made an accusation (that I "trust bloggers more than media with accreditation"). I used capital letters in my initial question, but that was to emphasize the subject of my question, not to shout. It's also not the first time that he's accused me of saying things that I haven't, either, so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I generally only take a blunt tone when it's met with an equally blunt tone as well. I don't know what to do. People give me reputation points for sticking up for myself and defending my positions, so I'm getting mixed messages here. Maybe my tone is less light-hearted than most here, but I'm a serious person in general. And I also question people when I think they've gotten something wrong. I look back and read this thread and I see me asking a question, and I don't see anything wrong with asking that question. I see 3 words in capitals and I see the word idiot, although I didn't call anybody an idiot. Is this aggressive?

Edit: I decided to PM Gonzo instead of furthering this here.
Cool, thanks. Look, I'm not on as much as I should be, just pick up bits and pieces, so I'm not claiming even to know exactly what's what all of the time. Just making an observation based on limited evidence. As far as getting mixed messages, you're not getting that from me. I'm just playing Rodney King here (may he rest in piece)... can we all just get along?

And I want to stress that I think that you are both quality posters. Please keep up the good work. Carry on.

Hawaii 5-0
06-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Cool, thanks. Look, I'm not on as much as I should be, just pick up bits and pieces, so I'm not claiming even to know exactly what's what all of the time. Just making an observation based on limited evidence. As far as getting mixed messages, you're not getting that from me. I'm just playing Rodney King here (may he rest in piece)... can we all just get along?

And I want to stress that I think that you are both quality posters. Please keep up the good work. Carry on.

:grouphug:

http://www.buamai.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/group-hug.jpg

ricardisimo
06-19-2012, 06:19 PM
:grouphug:

http://www.buamai.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/group-hug.jpg
Why do we always have to oil up before we hug?

Steelersfan87
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Uh, Indian burns?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Why do we always have to oil up before we hug?

5-0 and Ric..........I feel less masculine for having looked at that.

Am going to the thong thread for therapy. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Sylvester brings the right approach

Posted Jun 26, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Linebacker Stevenson Sylvester is hoping with the departure of James Farrior that his role on defense will increase this year, but he also knows that contributing on special teams will be a key for him just as it has been in his first two seasons.

“It’s so vital to the game,” said Sylvester of special teams. “Field position is huge at this level. People overlook that. I love being part of having the opposing offense start inside the 10-yard line. That helps our play calling, allows us to run blitzes. When we have an offense backed up and they have little opportunity to open their playbook then that will make us that much better. We are better when we are blitzing and pressuring the quarterback.

“Coach Al Everest tells us we send a message and whatever message you start the game with, it sets the tone. That could set the tone for the entire game for everybody to come out fired up and make the same plays.”

And there is nothing Sylvester likes more than being the player that delivers the hit that buries the other team deep.

“It’s like you are in the 100-yard dash and near the finish line and number two and three are behind you,” said Sylvester. “The ribbon is right there and you know you got it first. It’s the same thing. It’s an amazing feeling. You just unload and take out everything you have on the returner and to get the clean hit is everything.”

Sylvester knows there is a certain mentality you have to possess to play special teams, one that combines drive, passion and no fear.

“You have to be able to win, to want to win,” said Sylvester. “You can’t settle for just being there. If you just sit there guys like Antonio Brown will get by you. You can never be lackadaisical. I take my job seriously. I love to be on the field.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Sylvester-brings-the-right-approach/22a57424-9cb1-4fbd-9dec-ec429885af65

Buddha Bus
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
5-0 and Ric..........I feel less masculine for having looked at that.

Am going to the thong thread for therapy. :wink02:

*Mental note: Meet with MACH and go to the thong thread to shit all over Gonzo's therapy. :tap:

Hawaii 5-0
07-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Competition: ILBs Stevenson Sylvester vs. Sean Spence

by Neal Coolong on Jul 2, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4538185/GYI0062867324.jpg

over 1 year ago: PITTSBURGH - DECEMBER 19: Antonio Cromartie #31 of the New York Jets is tackled by Stevenson Sylvester #55 of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the game on December 19 2010 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

We liked what we heard from Stevenson Sylvester in the interview we did with him this spring. Part of it was about his focus. In losing captain and longtime starter James Farrior, leadership will be lacking on the defensive side of the ball. Sylvester heads into training camp as the back-up to starting buck inside linebacker Larry Foote, and could find himself in a starting role at some point.

He's going to have to look both up at Foote and down at rookie Sean Spence, who was said to have looked pretty good at the buck position during OTAs and minicamps.

The Steelers drafted Spence, saying he would be groomed to play the mack linebacker spot, behind starter Lawrence Timmons. As any smart staff would do, though, they used him in a few different roles, but they saw enough to suggest Spence could potentially play what's more commonly seem as a strong-side, gap-filling buck instead of the flow-to-the-ball mack spot.

Sylvester has been with the team for the last three years, getting his first start last year against New England. While Sylvester didn't look his best during that game, he played a good number of snaps in Week 9 against Baltimore, and held his own a bit more.

It's difficult to see Foote being replaced any time soon. His experience in the defense is a critical component to the position. It is responsible for pre-snap adjustments and communication with the other 10 defenders on the field. While Sylvester continues to learn those nuances, the battle between he and Spence will come more in sub-package possibilities. Spence is the better athlete of the two, but is smaller and has far less experience in the terminology of the defense and the players around him.

Spence's skill is really in coverage, and his size almost suggests he's a really large safety as opposed to even a weakside linebacker. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin loves athletes, and the selection of Spence, not to mention the selection of Timmons (his first-ever draft pick in 2007), another smaller but insanely athletic linebacker, confirms that.

As far as the nickel package goes, Foote was off the field in that spot last year. Both Sylvester and Spence are faster than Foote is, and the competition between the two will most likely come on passing downs, when the distinction between mack and buck grays a bit.

Seeing the two of them do battle will probably bleed from camp into the season, and could even extend to next season, when Foote likely will not be back in a Steelers uniform.

Odds favor Sylvester by a bit at this point, but it's hard to keep a good athlete off the field. Spence could see time this year in specialty situations.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/2/3131530/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-competition-depth-chart-linebacker-sean-spence-stevenson-sylvester#storyjump