PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Rumored For Game In Ireland In 2013

Hawaii 5-0
06-21-2012, 12:42 AM
http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/towel_irish.jpeg?d1f0e4

Steelers Rumored For Game In Ireland In 2013

June 21, 2012 12:00 AM

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/dan_rooney_84658265.jpg?w=300

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) — According to a report by the BBC, the NFL has a desire to expand a regular season game into Ireland and the Steelers could be involved.

The league has played a regular season game at London’s Wembley Stadium since 2005 and it will continue that tradition this season. With the success of playing games in London, the NFL reportedly wants to extend a second regular season game into another European city, perhaps Dublin.

Dublin’s Croke Park seats over 80,000 fans and with the connection of Steelers owner Dan Rooney as the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland, the Steelers playing in this game makes sense.

“I think it’d be terrific,” Rooney said to the BBC in regards to an NFL game coming to Dublin.

“We came over before back in 1997 and played a pre-season game.

“But now, with the regular season games in London at Wembley proving so successful, and tickets selling out almost as soon as they’re put on sale, I would think it would be good to play a game here, at Croke Park, as the interest in the sport is so strong.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/06/21/steelers-rumored-for-game-in-ireland-in-2013/

Galax Steeler
06-21-2012, 04:53 AM
I don't care where they play I will watch them.

steelerchad
06-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Sucks if we have to give up a home game to do it.

OX1947
06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Yes, It's MY ISLAND!

tanda10506
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Better be an away game, sucks they have to go all the way over there to play a game in a country that is never going to have American football anyway, if it's a home game it totally sucks!

casteeler
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, It's MY ISLAND!

This can't be William Wallace, I'm prettier than this man

Fire Arians
06-21-2012, 03:35 PM
why don't we just rename it to international football league already

tanda10506
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I can just see it now, the 2013 "randomly created" schedule (the one that randomly gives the Pats the easiest schedule every year lol) having us playing in New England monday night, then in Ireland Thursday for the Packers , then back in Baltimore the following week. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Steelersfan87
06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
The schedules have not been "randomly created" for some time now. It works on a rotational system in which a given team plays 1) each team in their division twice, 2) one full intraconference division (rotated yearly), 3) one full interconference division (rotated yearly), and the two teams within the other intraconference divisions that finished in the same position of their respective divisions. That's, for example, why the Steelers play the NFC East this year, because they played them 4 years ago and the scheduling system has rotated back to the NFC East-AFC North matchup. Although the Steelers will play the Packers in 2013 since they played the NFC North in 2009. :flap:

Lady Steel
06-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Just say no to Ireland. It's a beautiful country, but no!

Hawaii 5-0
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.sportsflagsandpennants.com/images_products/pittsburgh_steelers_shamrock_banner_flag_33904big. jpg

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 11:53 PM
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/ireland_stash.jpg

A classic. The 'Stache and The Chin. Then Chicago Bears coach Dave Wannstedt hits a driver from the practice tee while Bill Cowher looks on at St. Margaret's golf club in Dublin in July 1997. Just a coupla 'Burgh lads on the links.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/34539-steelers-return-to-the-old-sod

Hawaii 5-0
06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/ireland_practice.jpg

The Steelers practiced at Croke Park in 1997. The sign says "Do not walk on the grass" in Gaelic.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/34539-steelers-return-to-the-old-sod

Hawaii 5-0
07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Starkey: Steelers in Ireland? Brilliant!

By Joe Starkey
Published: Thursday, July 12, 2012

It made for a good radio topic, anyway: Would you be OK with your beloved Steelers relinquishing a regular-season home game in order to play one in Ireland?

The collective response was the most resounding “No!” heard in these parts since HBO asked Bill Cowher if he’d like his team featured on “Hard Knocks.”

As it turns out, you needn’t worry. Here is the email I received from Steelers headquarters: “We will not give up a home game to play in Ireland.”

That’s fairly clear.

So let’s move on to a couple of questions left in the wake of Steelers chairman emeritus Dan Rooney — the United States ambassador to Ireland — telling the BBC he’d love to see his team play a real game on the Emerald Isle, even if it isn’t a “home game:”

• Is it a worthwhile idea?

• Will the NFL be the first major North American sports league to position a team overseas?

Addressing the second question first, I’ll go with a definitive “maybe.” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has made no secret of his interest in placing a team in London, where the NFL draws massive crowds to Wembley Stadium for an annual regular-season game.

Here’s the problem: One game does not necessarily translate to sustaining an actual team.

You’d think after centuries of torturing themselves with soccer (no, I won’t call it association football), the English would wake up one day and say, “My God, what we have done?” and turn to real football, once given a taste. But it’s not that easy. Start with the fact that the United Kingdom is positively united in the fact that its children do not play American football. They grow up playing soccer.

In England, the English Premier League (that’s soccer) rules the sports world, and its season runs concurrent to the NFL’s. People prefer soccer’s constant “action,” or flow, to American football’s frequent stoppages. When the Steelers played a preseason game 350 miles from London, in Dublin in 1997, the sport blew people’s minds.

Not necessarily in a good way.

The Associated Press quoted a Steelers fan as answering the following repeated questions from a bunch of teenage Gaelic football players:

• “Why do your players wear so much equipment?”

• “Why does the game take so long?”

They weren’t familiar with the concept of commercials. So, yeah, even 15 years later, American football would be a tough full-time sell in England, Ireland or other possible targets for NFL missionaries, including Munich, Frankfurt and Edinburgh.

However, one should never underestimate the NFL public-relations machine. It’s not a $9 billion-a-year business for nothing. The league continues to take incremental steps overseas, and powerful owners such as New England’s Robert Kraft are bullish on placing a team in London. The St. Louis Rams recently signed a three-year deal to play annually there, starting against Patriots on Oct. 28. So this is real.

Within two years, it’s likely the NFL will play two games overseas. That’s where Ireland comes in, and even if the e_SSRq97 Steelers-Bears exhibition hardly was a raging success — only 30,209 fans showed up — you can bet a real game would fill the seats at Croke Park Stadium (capacity: 82,500) in central Dublin.

Notre Dame and Navy will play a sold-out game in September at Dublin’s smaller Aviva Stadium (capacity: 50,000). NFL officials recently visited Croke Park, and, according to the BBC, found the site “very attractive.”

It would be that much more attractive if packed with Terrible Towel-waving fanatics, which is precisely what would happen if the Steelers were invited.

Why shouldn’t they go?

What better franchise to spread the gospel of American football?

Besides, the tailgate parties would be unbelievable (I hear they have beer in Ireland).

Some fans will worry about how the team rebounds from such a long trip. They shouldn’t. The New York Giants played in London in the middle of the 2007 season and wound up winning four playoff games, including a Super Bowl upset of the unbeaten Patriots.

Surely, somebody will give up a home game to join the Steelers in Dublin. There is money to be made.

It might make for an incredible “Hard Knocks”-like show, too, though I’d bet Mike Tomlin’s “No!” on that idea would be 10 times louder than Cowher’s.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2101502-85/game-steelers-ireland-nfl-football-team-american-dublin-london-real

ben2hines=6
07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
playing a game in ireland...yea that would be sweet... giving up a home game... def not... theres too many teams that cant sell out and get blacked out every home game cause they cant get people in the stands.. take the jag-offs home game and let us shit stomp them in a diff country and leave our home games alone

Lady Steel
07-15-2012, 06:13 AM
I still say no. Keep the moola in the States.

MzunguT
07-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I would certainly like to see it, a short trip to see the Steelers and probably much cheaper tickets than over in the States.. (To imagine that I've just paid 600 USD for 2 games at Heinz in November, while I get a season pass at my hometown soccer team for 200 USD..)

Still, even from here I say never give up a home game for that. Don't wanna miss it even on TV.

That said, in Britain the "problem" is not only soccer, but also that they love their rugby too, which they consider the better and tougher version of football.

Instead of putting an NFL-Team overseas, which seems ridiculous at all levels to me, I would rather like to see them support the development of local leagues. We had four teams in the final stage of the World League in Germany, with some good attendance. Would have made sense to me to increase the effort here..