PDA

View Full Version : Ben's permant injuries

siss
07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
"As a result, he is left with an odd sensation in his lips. If he touches them, they feel as if someone "has stuffed cotton swabs" in the corners where the surgeons made their entry.

"I can't feel if I have food on my face," he said."

Will that eventually go away?

"Only pictures on the right side or straight on, he said, before relaxing and explaining that he still has a cut on the left side of his head that he usually hides with a baseball cap."

Also is you watch the KDKA video it looks like he has a bald spot on the top of his head. Will his hair grow back there?

Im just curious.

83-Steelers-43
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Hopefully to his ego also.........

Whoops, did I say that out loud? :dang:

As for the dent on his head and if it will grow back. Well, I'm not a doctor and I never had that type of head injury but I would have to say that it won't grow back.

tony hipchest
07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
hair dont grow back on scars.

HometownGal
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
"As a result, he is left with an odd sensation in his lips. If he touches them, they feel as if someone "has stuffed cotton swabs" in the corners where the surgeons made their entry.

"Only pictures on the right side or straight on, he said, before relaxing and explaining that he still has a cut on the left side of his head that he usually hides with a baseball cap."

Also is you watch the KDKA video it looks like he has a bald spot on the top of his head. Will his hair grow back there?

Im just curious.

I'm not a doctor either, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :blurp: (j/k)

I had a similar type of surgery over 5 years ago and for about 6 months after the surgery, I had numbness in the area of the surgical site. There are nerves in the jaw that may have been cut due to the severity of his jaw injury or they may have been aggravated during surgery. There are also blood vessels, muscles and tendons in the jaw that may have been affected by the accident itself or again - the surgery. Blood vessels in the facial area are very close to the surface and can easily be temporarily damaged. I'm sure his docs have explained this to him. Dr. Pituch is my family's oral surgeon and he leaves no stones unturned! Ben had the best in the business.

Tony is correct - hair does not grow back on a scar.

Remember, siss - bald is beautiful! :cool:

BlackNGold203
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM

*rubs bald head*

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

siss
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
LOL yes bald is beautiful and Ben makes it look even better. Im sure he will grow his hair out to cover it up.

I was mostly just wondering about the numbness in his face and if it was permanent damage. I'm glad its not.

Atlanta Dan
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
These injuries are further evidence as to how lucky Ben was to come out of that accident as well as he did. I have read that if had not hit the (relatively) soft windsheld rather than a metal surface on the car he probably would have been permanenetly disabled or dead and that if the angle of impact would have provided blunt force to the upper rather than lower areas of his head he also would have been in deep s**t. Under the circumstances, having the apparent sensation of having received novacain at the dentist and needing to grow your hair out to cover a scar is not a bad deal.

I know it is his call, but why Ben refuses to do PSAs on needing to wear a helmet escapes me.

SteelersMongol
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Tony is correct - hair does not grow back on a scar.

Ha ha ha. Weren't we all born bald, and are gonna go bald as we age. :smile: Well, except for the ladies. :smile:

I just remembered the man that I used to work with (he's the first Steelers fan I saw alive) said "Never make a fun of people for their age and bald head, because you'll go through the sam thing" to some juvenile kids in Utah. :bouncy: I wouldn't worry about baldness. Just bring us some more rings for the other hand, we'll do our best to be there when you need us, right? :bouncy:

stillers4me
07-25-2006, 06:06 PM
My step dad had similar injuries to his jaw after and ATV accident several years ago. He was numb also (dribbled a bit when he ate!!) but he eventually got the feeling back after the nerve endings regenerated.

INOX
07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
hair dont grow back on scars.

Got one right through my eye brow. No hair grows there, but the ladies like it!

siss
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Got one right through my eye brow. No hair grows there, but the ladies like it!
Chicks dig scars!

stillers4me
07-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I bet Ben's kisser will be just fine!!!!!!!

siss
07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I bet Ben's kisser will be just fine!!!!!!!
Thank god! I was so worried!:sofunny: :sofunny:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I could care less about his face or the scars..Hes says hes healthy, thats good enough for me, and now i just want some TD's

Haiku_Dirtt
07-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Hopefully to his ego also.........

Whoops, did I say that out loud? :dang:

As for the dent on his head and if it will grow back. Well, I'm not a doctor and I never had that type of head injury but I would have to say that it won't grow back.

My pops was/is a doctor (PICU and critical care for 40 years) and I don't like to talk to him right now. I'm a little more comfortable in denial.

Truth be told. We still don't know.

Woogie
07-26-2006, 08:06 AM
I have a scar through my eyebrow as well! For the most part, no hair grows, but every now and then, a stray pops up! I have to pluck it because it grows at a funny angle!

My sister in law had brain surgery two years ago and has a scar. Hair does not grow there, but it's really easy to cover it up for her, and her hair is not really all that long (well, longer than Ben's).

BlackNGold203
07-26-2006, 08:53 AM
The only permanent injuries will be the hurting Ben is gonna lay on opposing secondaries this tear......:cool: :cool: :cool:

players report in 2 days.........:busted: :busted: :busted:

melroseplace
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I noticed that he's talking a little differently, most likely because of the numbness. as far as a bald head goes...Hines, Farrior, Larry Foote, etc all seem to play well with no hair so I'm not worried :tt02:

SteelerzGirl
07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Weren't we all born bald

I wasn't. I had hair! :smile:

No worries about Ben's bald spot, siss. Depending on what the scar looks like, it could even possibly "fade" some, and depending on how he wears his hair, it could cover the scar if he grows it longer, which you don't like...(lol). My worries lie in whether or not he develops double vision and/or seizures as a result of his accident. :frown: I can only hope and pray that never happens, but I'm sure he'll be fine. :smile:

siss
07-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I dont mind his long hair as long as the grease thing goes away. The Greased back look on him doesnt work at all. And thats what I think he will end up doing. But it looks bad! He needs to hire me as his stylist. I would have our QB looking great!

SteelerzGirl
07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I dont mind his long hair as long as the grease thing goes away. The Greased back look on him doesnt work at all. And thats what I think he will end up doing. But it looks bad! He needs to hire me as his stylist. I would have our QB looking great!

I agree that the slicked back look didn't suit Ben at all. :yuck:

With you as Ben's stylist and me as his personal assistant, we'll have him in tip-top shape in no time! :grin:

siss
07-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I already excepted teh job...this is part of the contract they made me sign.:dancing:

I solemely swear to protect our QB and take care of all his needs wants and desires. I promise to make the QB happy in all aspects of his life and have him tucked into his plastic bubble by 9PM every night. If I fail at any of these duties I will be exiled to cleveland and have my terrible towl taken away!:sofunny: :sofunny: :love: :rofl: :rofl:

Wow I need to go do something else...Thats pathetic!

Polamalu43
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM

Im just curious.

im pretty sure most of them things will get better as time goes by. i also love how big ben always keeps his head up, even though alot of people doubt him all the time.