PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: Steelers' offense is progressing

mesaSteeler
06-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Colbert: Steelers' offense is progressing
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2007561-85/think-colbert-offense-tackle-team-steelers-trib-beachum-general-kelvin
By Scott Brown

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 1 hour ago

The Steelers are off until July 25, when players report to St. Vincent College in Latrobe for training camp. The Tribune-Review caught up with general manager Kevin Colbert at the end of offseason practices, and he weighed in on the new offense and the situation at left tackle.

ē Tribune-Review: From what you observed during offseason practices, did players make good progress as far as picking up the new offense?

ē Kevin Colbert: Iím not listening to whatís being said intimately after a play. Thereís not a lot of physical errors I guess is the best way to say it: new offense, people learning about the offense and coaches learning about people, I think there will be some mistakes. I think thatís just part of the growing process. Itís way too early to tell, but visibly I didnít see a lot of mistakes or corrections being made, no more than usual.

ē Trib: Did anyone stand out to you?

ē KC: I think we were pleasantly surprised (with rookie) Kelvin Beachum and his versatility. I think heíll be able to play guard and tackle, and some day he might be able to play center. Heís a versatile, very intelligent kid. He was a left tackle at SMU. Heís probably a little undersized for tackle in the NFL, but heís got the arm length and the feet. Whether he can do it at this level, who knows? But heís athletic enough to play guard, and I think heís smart enough to play center someday. I think (Leonard) Pope gives us some stability at the tight end position from a veteran standpoint.

ē Trib: Is there a backup plan if Mike Adams isnít ready to play left tackle, and if so, does that plan include Max Starks?

ē KC: Weíre monitoring (Starksí) health, weíll see how he develops, but Max is coming off a serious injury, and his readiness we donít know yet. We wonít know until you get closer to camp and heís had more rehab.

ē Trib: Do you feel like this team can be a Super Bowl contender?

ē KC: I have no idea. You donít know what kind of team youíve got until it starts to unfold because you donít know the competition. We have one focus right now, and thatís to beat Denver. Beyond that, none of us know, and we wonít know until we get through it. Right now itís letís get ready for Denver.

Scott Brown is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com.

tanda10506
06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Good to hear about Beachum and that they are still keeping in contact with Starks. If everything goes well, we may go from a terrible O line to one of the best and deepest O lines in the game. Assuming the starting 5 is Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert, that leaves us with Foster and Legursky as back up guards, Essex and Legursky as backup centers, and Beachum as a swing guy. Unfortunately all we would have at backup tackle would be Johnathan Scott and he's as good as having nobody. That means Beachum needs to work out at tackle and Starks is a must sign. Without Starks we would be one injury away from getting owned by an OLB again, like game 1 last year vs Baltimore when we had to use Scott.