PDA

View Full Version : Can the Pittsburgh Steelers Swipe Ben Tate from Houston Texans?

mesaSteeler
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Can the Pittsburgh Steelers Swipe Ben Tate from Houston Texans?
June 24, 2012 04:50 PM EDT
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981427361

It was hard enough for the once bruising Pittsburgh Steelers to run the football last year. With their best back out and their offensive line raw, could the aging powerhouse find help in the hungry Ben Tate from the Houston Texans?

Steelers rely on Isaac Redman to ease pressure on Ben Roethlisberger

It's hard to find a bigger oddity in the NFL that the Pittsburgh offense. While it has one of the most talented groups of wide receivers and a top flight quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger, it also has one of the worst offensive lines and horribly banged up group of running backs. The Steelers tried to fix the line problems by drafting David DeCastro and Mike Adam, two of the highest rated players at guard and tackle. Still even if they started right away, they are rookies and can't expect to protect Big Ben while he hangs on to the ball. The best way for Pittsburgh to keep pass rushers off their star is by running the football and running it well. Whenever they manage that the Pittsburgh Steelers reach the Super Bowl. However with Rashard Mendenhall out it falls to Isaac Redman to carry the load. While he's made some big plays, Redman sat low on the depth chart for a reason. Pittsburgh can't hope he will give them steady running at four yards per carry so Roethlisberger won't pass when he has to behind a rebuilding line. Is there any way for the team to give him some help?

Tate eager to prove he is just as good as Arian Foster

The Houston Texans offense has also become some rare in the NFL. While the first years of success were a high-flying passing attack led by André Johnson, the new Texans live by their running game of All-Pro Arian Foster and able backup Ben Tate. Unfortunately as star start emerging on the Houston defense, it has become harder for the team to pay role players like Tate. Foster has gotten all the love in the news and on the fantasy circuit. Many easily forget how well Tate played when his teammate went out with injury. He's said before he is willing to wait for his chance but given how Foster has played, it might not happen in Texas. That means Houston could explore trade options to avoid losing Tate to free agency. His youth and talent would likely fetch a good price and a team like Pittsburgh always has the draft picks they need. Tate would fit perfectly in Steeler Nation and their long history of great running backs and instantly ease the burden on Redman and Roethlisberger.

Ben Tate has stayed quiet about his burning want to play with Arian Foster leading the Houston Texans. While the Pittsburgh Steelers wonder whether Isaac Redman can really help Ben Roethlisberger, their savvy front office might give him that shot.

tanda10506
06-24-2012, 06:10 PM
The Steelers tried to fix the line problems by drafting David DeCastro and Mike Adam, two of the highest rated players at guard and tackle. Still even if they started right away, they are rookies and can't expect to protect Big Ben while he hangs on to the ball.

Pouncey was expected to protect Ben right away and he did a damn fine job of it. DeCastro is a pick like Pouncey, and Guard is easier to learn then Center, so I think DeCastro will have a rookie year much like Pouncey's. Adams I'm not as high on, but I'm still pretty optimistic. LT is a rough spot in the NFL and being that he is a rookie he can't be expected to be perfect. That said, his talent and our interest in him despite the drug test issue indicate that he has big potential.

While the Pittsburgh Steelers wonder whether Isaac Redman can really help Ben Roethlisberger, their savvy front office might give him that shot.

So nobody from the FO has even mentioned anything about Tate, Tate hasn't been seen in Pittsburgh nor has there been any known or speculative talk between Tate and the Steelers?

MasterOfPuppets
06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
wow i wish i had those 20 secondas back that i wasted reading that garbage. i mean at least give redman, decastro and adams, a chance before writing stupid shit like this. personally i think the running game will be much improved no matter who gets the ball.

anyone know who foster was in college? no ?....i wonder how much houstons oline has to do with his new found success and stardom ? i'm guessing ALOT .

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2012, 08:01 PM

So nobody from the FO has even mentioned anything about Tate, Tate hasn't been seen in Pittsburgh nor has there been any known or speculative talk between Tate and the Steelers?

THIS, is the problem that I have with bloggers. This guy writes an article that has no substance to it, no references and about as much credibility as the last guy to see Sasquatch..............yet he's qouted as a source of news on this board. :doh:

Fire Arians
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
wow i wish i had those 20 secondas back that i wasted reading that garbage. i mean at least give redman, decastro and adams, a chance before writing stupid shit like this. personally i think the running game will be much improved no matter who gets the ball.

anyone know who foster was in college? no ?....i wonder how much houstons oline has to do with his new found success and stardom ? i'm guessing ALOT .

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TiTtIFjpI/AAAAAAAACxQ/HXLdiZZ0goU/s1600/ALOT14.png

tony hipchest
06-24-2012, 09:04 PM
baron batch could very well be this years arian foster. we dont know. dwyer could be called to duty and explode. plus we have huge talent and upside in rainey. no way to we explore a trade with tate.

Bayz101
06-24-2012, 09:11 PM
As Tony said, we simply don't know what we got right now. We've seen bits and pieces of the talent, and fortunately, most of what we've seen was HUGE. We could have GOLD.

LVSteelersfan
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Who the heck would the Steelers be able to give up to get a player like Tate? Aint happening. We have so many running backs going into camp it is ridiculous. No way they bring in another one.

mesaSteeler
06-24-2012, 10:23 PM
THIS, is the problem that I have with bloggers. This guy writes an article that has no substance to it, no references and about as much credibility as the last guy to see Sasquatch..............yet he's qouted as a source of news on this board. :doh:

Why so serious?

mesaSteeler
06-24-2012, 10:33 PM
As Tony said, we simply don't know what we got right now. We've seen bits and pieces of the talent, and fortunately, most of what we've seen was HUGE. We could have GOLD.

Or we could have lead. Especially with a few untimely injuries.

Bayz101
06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Or we could have lead. Especially with a few untimely injuries.

http://www.bilcobrick.com/images/Content/Home_Brick1.jpg http://www.abroeurope.com/images/18k-Gold-Spray-Paint.jpg

Bayz101
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Why so serious?

Because I liked Ben Tate a lot coming out of college and thought he would be a good mid round pick.

So I open this thread, only to find a link to some blogger is just stating a question that he thought of that seems to have no basis. It was a complete waste of my time and could easily be titled "Can the Steelers swipe Matt Forte from the Bears"?

Bayz101
06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
http://media.funlol.com/pictures/15353.jpg

Just Kidding. Couldn't resist.

MasterOfPuppets
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Because I liked Ben Tate a lot coming out of college and thought he would be a good mid round pick.

So I open this thread, only to find a link to some blogger is just stating a question that he thought of that seems to have no basis. It was a complete waste of my time and could easily be titled "Can the Steelers swipe Matt Forte from the Bears"?
http://theantisocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/and-you-can-blog-the-anti-social-media.png

ricardisimo
06-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Well, in fairness to the OP, at no point does he cite this article as "news". People can post what they like as a simple discussion starter. And sure enough, a discussion has started. It's cool.

That said, this is one of the most retarded opinion pieces I've read in quite a while. I'd be curious to know what constitutes "research" in the author's world. People make fun of Bouchette for some bizarre reason, and I suppose it's because he spends three-quarters of his time shooting crap like this down. He's just no fun.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Just Kidding. Couldn't resist.
:chuckle:

http://theantisocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/and-you-can-blog-the-anti-social-media.png

Too bad you cant type in crayons huh?

Well, in fairness to the OP, at no point does he cite this article as "news". People can post what they like as a simple discussion starter. And sure enough, a discussion has started. It's cool.

That said, this is one of the most retarded opinion pieces I've read in quite a while. I'd be curious to know what constitutes "research" in the author's world. People make fun of Bouchette for some bizarre reason, and I suppose it's because he spends three-quarters of his time shooting crap like this down. He's just no fun.

Yeah, I should have known. In future I will only look at links I recognize from reputable sites instead of that trash.

stiller39
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
We have a bevy of good running backs.... why would we want Tate and how much would he cost us? Stillers always find good running backs and for virtually nothing. I'd take Redman over Tate any day of the week. Heck I think we got some backs on the team now that are going to be better than Tate... just saying.

pancake
06-25-2012, 02:38 PM
No way Houston gets rid of a cheap backup that is good... That would be pretty stupid... With that said, I would love to have him.

MasterOfPuppets
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM

well stated :hatsoff: opinion piece is the correct discription.
here's where i had a problem with the opinion.

The Steelers tried to fix the line problems by drafting David DeCastro and Mike Adam, two of the highest rated players at guard and tackle. Still even if they started right away, they are rookies and can't expect to protect Big Ben while he hangs on to the ball. The best way for Pittsburgh to keep pass rushers off their star is by running the football and running it well. Whenever they manage that the Pittsburgh Steelers reach the Super Bowl

this moron is completely discrediting the moves the steelers have made this off season. never mind the contributions pouncey made as a rookie these 2 new guys can't get it done because they are rookies...:jerkit:
what we really need is a running back from somewhere where the grass has been greener ... he'll offset any blocking deficiencies we may have because he played on a better rushing team so obviously he's a better back....... now how retarded does that sound ? :doh:

good thing we had an awesome running game in 08 or there'd be 1 less trophy in pittsburgh...

http://ronsmart.net/images/CommonMorons.jpg