PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release QB Troy Smith

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Steelers release Troy Smith

Posted by Josh Alper on June 25, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/troysmithsanfrancisco49ersvstlouisepiulbxj31dl.jpg ?w=250

When the Steelers signed quarterbacks Troy Smith earlier this offseason, they were filling a position of need since all three of Ben Roethlisberger’s backups from last year were free agents.

Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch are back in Pittsburgh, though, and that left Smith without a chair when the music stopped on Monday. Or, to put it in non-musical chairs terms, the Steelers announced that they have released Smith from their 90-man roster. That leaves Smith without a job a month before the start of camps and more than a year removed from his last NFL experience.

Smith spent 2011 playing in the UFL where he backed up former Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli for most of the season. In a sign of how quickly things can change, Smith started six games for the 49ers in 2010 and didn’t play considerably worse than Alex Smith. He wasn’t re-signed by San Francisco, however, and now the tale of two Smiths favors Alex by more than few country miles.

Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, was a fifth-round pick of the Ravens in 2007.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/25/steelers-release-troy-smith/

Hawaii 5-0
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
now that Troy Smith has been cut it looks like Jerrod Johnson is headed to the PS and Batch and Lefty will once again be our backup QBs.

Pittsburgh Steelers Futures Prospect Quarterback Jerrod Johnson Could Surprise in Training Camp

June 24th, 2012
By Mark Mihalko

When Pittsburgh Steelers fans look around the AFC North, they see a division full of teams with starting quarterbacks that are younger than the top three signal callers on the teams roster are. While this may be a good thing for 2012 as the Steelers look to compete for a Super Bowl, but there is definitely a need to find a young developmental quarterback.

With Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch all over 30-years old, and Leftwich and Batch are only signed through the 2012 season; something for the future should be addressed. Evidently, the Steelers front office seem to understand this and have rolled the dice on two young quarterbacks former Baltimore Raven and Heisman Trophy Winner Troy Smith and one time undrafted rookie free agent Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M).

While he may be a long shot for the opening day roster, Johnson is an interesting story, and a player, if healthy, he may have an advantage as he is Practice Squad eligible, and Smith is not. To get a true read on who Johnson is, a fan will have to go back and look a tape from the 2009 Texas A&M season. When viewing tape on the 6-5, 253-pound quarterback, it is easy to see how the shoulder injury affected him. In fact, he went from an All-Conference selection and fast riser as junior to playing in only seven games as a senior after undergoing shoulder surgery in March 2010.

Prior to the injury he was a gifted quarterback with a strong arm, mobility and pocket awareness. Yes, he did demonstrate some fundamental flaws and needed technique refinement, but he was a worker and seemed coachable. If he is recovered, you cannot overlook his natural skills and abilities. Sure, he may not make the active roster in 2012, but the team could keep him in their plans moving forward and showing the Steelers he is healthy could be a huge first step.

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/06/24/pittsburgh-steelers-futures-prospect-quarteback-jerrod-johnson-could-surprise-in-training-camp/

Fire Arians
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
i guess he gets to parade around his heisman trophy elsewhere

tony hipchest
06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
good luck to jerrod johnson and i'd rather have dennis dixon than troy smith anyhow.

MasterOfPuppets
06-25-2012, 10:19 PM
i didn't really see to much in this video that impresses me . most are either short passes , or jump balls...the best throws i see him make here is at about the 2:55 and 5:55 mark...

0EwNsZpUbWA

LVSteelersfan
06-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Good riddance. No ex-Ravens on this team. Only exception would be Ngata or Ray Rice. I don't like our backup QB situation much. Both those guys are made of glass.

truesteelerfan
06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I was hoping Smith would stick - or at least get a shot in training camp - I don't know anything about Johnson but what is listed here above - big guy! I agree with post that states - we need some youth in our QB stable - someone who can step in when Batch or Lefty gets hurt in camp.

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Good riddance. No ex-Ravens on this team. Only exception would be Ngata or Ray Rice. I don't like our backup QB situation much. Both those guys are made of glass.

I guess we'd better cut James Harrison too then. :wink02:

wyn50
06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Is Dixon still on the steelers roster?

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Is Dixon still on the steelers roster?

No. He isn't on anyone's roster as far as I know.

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
He's a free-agent.

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
He's a free-agent.

So how's that whole "I want to be a starter" thing working out for DD? :popcorn:

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
So how's that whole "I want to be a starter" thing working out for DD? :popcorn:

About as well as Troy Smith did in making it to training camp with us.

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 06:24 PM
About as well as Troy Smith did in making it to training camp with us.

So......... not so good? :tap:

:chuckle:

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
So......... not so good? :tap:

:chuckle:

Exactly. About as well as any rushing quarterback fairs in Pittsburgh.

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Exactly. About as well as any rushing quarterback fairs in Pittsburgh.

Now that we might actually have a good o-line now that could change.:wink02:

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Now that we might actually have a good o-line now that could change.:wink02:

Let's not dismiss the possibility that we just drafted to O-Line busts. I doubt we did, but there's always Sweed to refer to :chuckle:

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Let's not dismiss the possibility that we just drafted to O-Line busts. I doubt we did, but there's always Sweed to refer to :chuckle:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

Shut your mouth, Bagz. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
06-26-2012, 09:02 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

Shut your mouth, Bagz. :chuckle:
:toofunny: bagz ??? you been savin that one ? ....T-bagz...:sofunny:

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Great Buddha. Now my Night Owl's handle has leaked into SF. We're all doomed.

Buddha Bus
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Great Buddha. Now my Night Owl's handle has leaked into SF. We're all doomed.

Not all of us... just you. :finger:

xbroughneck
06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Who?

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I guess we'd better cut James Harrison too then. :wink02:

Darn. I forgot about that. :rofl: But he started with the Steelers and did not stick with the Ravens so he doesn't count.

Hawaii 5-0
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Why Troy Smith, Not Jerrod Johnson, Was Cut

Posted by Steelblitz
June 26, 2012

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/londoncreative/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dyc-ut-am-27_528291c.jpg&w=560&zc=1&h=300

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced yesterday that former Heisman winning quarterback Troy Smith was cut from the team. Smith was fighting for a back-up quarterback job behind Ben Roethlisberger. However, he was fighting an uphill battle from the beginning. Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich are still on the roster and are, and likely were, set as Roethlisberger’s primary back-ups. When news broke that Smith had been released some fans were surprised he was cut in favor of former Texas A&M quarterback Jerrod Johnson.

Johnson, however, has a very minimal chance of making the active roster in 2012. His only real chance would be the case of an injury to Batch or Leftwich. Johnson will more than likely be placed on the Steelers practice squad prior to the season and be stashed away for the future. At 27 Smith was hoping for another shot in the NFL, and he may get it elsewhere, but Pittsburgh didn’t seem to be the right fit from the start. With two veteran quarterbacks already on the roster Smith had a huge challenge in front of him.

In fact, the Steelers may have done Smith a favor by cutting him prior to training camp. Another team may look to bring Smith in as a veteran back-up or to provide some competition.

Johnson, at 23, has some potential and could move to the Steelers active roster next year if Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich leave the team. Batch, who will be 38 later this year, can’t play forever.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/why_troy_smith_not_jerrod_johnson_was_cut/11096096

Hawaii 5-0
06-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Training Camp Competition: Charlie Batch vs. Jerrod Johnson

by Neal Coolong on Jun 27, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4482951/20120612_kdl_al8_063_extra_large.jpg

The release of QB Troy Smith probably deadens this battle; it seems unlikely, particularly given QB Byron Leftwich's injury woes, the Steelers would keep the second-year practice squad eligible Johnson over the aged veteran Batch.

But stranger things have happened. You could probably just ask Johnson. He beat out an up-and-coming quarterback at Texas A&M, played pretty not bad in 2009, and had a big 2010 season in front of him.

Arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder came that offseason, and despite being the Big 12 Preseason Offensive Player of the Year, he was eventually caught by that up-and-coming quarterback.

The No. 8 overall pick of the Miami Dolphins in the 2012 NFL Draft, Ryan Tannehill.

Johnson went undrafted in 2011, spent some time in the Eagles, and in the Arena League, but never recovered the same arm strength he had in 2010.

It looks as if this is one of the last chances he'll get.

He's a big dude (6-foot-5, 250 pounds) and by all accounts, the arm strength just never came back after that surgery. Keep in mind, the first team All Big 12 quarterback in 2010 was Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden.

Second Team All Big 12 was Robert Griffin III. And Johnson was the preseason favorite for Offensive Player of the Year, an award that went to OSU's Justin Blackmon.

The same Last Chance statement could be said for Batch, but not because of surgery. Father Time and Mr. Rooney have already given Batch a longer career than most would ever have. He's entering his 14th NFL season, the last 10 in Pittsburgh, at the age of 38. His greatest value as a third-string QB is his knowledge of the game and experience in helping starter Ben Roethlisberger prepare each week. He's struggled a bit as an in-game replacement (Week 15 at San Francisco wasn't the shining moment of his career, to put it mildly), but looked solid in games in which he knew he was starting (Week 16 vs. St. Louis, he did pretty well).

The Steelers have to be looking for that starting-level back-up at some point in the near future. Some thought that may have been Smith, but for whatever reason, he's out, leaving Johnson as the sole competitor for Batch's roster spot.

And that may not even be enough. Perhaps that's why Smith was released; the Steelers are already prepared to go into 2012 with Batch as their third-stringer behind Roethlisberger and Leftwich. Since Smith has starting experience, they cut him early to give him a shot to pick up somewhere else. As far as Johnson goes, he could just be a training camp arm and practice squad candidate.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/27/3120299/training-camp-competition-charlie-batch-vs-jerrod-johnson