PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown calls Steelers OC Todd Haley 'friendly'

mesaSteeler
07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a6fe68/article/antonio-brown-calls-new-steelers-octodd-haley-friendly
Antonio Brown calls Steelers OC Todd Haley 'friendly'

By Dan Hanzus
Writer
Published: July 9, 2012 at 08:45 p.m.

Todd Haley's false start with Ben Roethlisberger led to speculation of trouble for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but wide receiver Antonio Brown doesn't make it sound like there are any issues with the famously intense offensive coordinator.

"You've got to respond well when coaches get up in your face," Brown told Jim Rome on "Rome" (via PFT). "He seems like a real friendly guy who's demanding the best for you. You can't take it personally. You've got to use it all for the better."

"Friendly" isn't a word we usually hear describing Haley, who was run out of town by the Kansas City Chiefs last December. Roethlisberger stated publicly that he'd heard mixed things about the coach and said last month that he won't change his game to cater to a new offense.

"Change can be great if everyone buys in," Brown said. "We're accepting Todd Haley -- you see his history of great wide receivers. Getting a chance of working with him at OTAs and minicamp was something special."

Brown seems to be on board with the Todd Haley Experience. Roethlisberger remains Haley's most important get, however.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I think the Haley hate is over hyped.

That being said, Brown is a 6th round pick looking for a long term deal, while Ben is a $100 Million QB looking to run things the way he wants to.

mesaSteeler
07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the Haley hate is over hyped.

That being said, Brown is a 6th round pick looking for a long term deal, while Ben is a $100 Million QB looking to run things the way he wants to.

Agree but Ben better understand that he's going to do things the way Haley, Tomlin, and most especially the Rooney's, want things things done. Ben's sandlot football has to be toned down or injuries he keeps getting will shorten his career. He's no good to us if he can't play due to being injured because he trying to be a sandlot hero again.

steelfury02
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Ben just needs about 2-3 more vocal leaders that will buy into the Haley system, talk it up to Ben, while keeping him upright, catching what is thrown to them and running for the much needed first down to take the heat off Ben a little

Looking at Pouncey, Brown and maybe even Redman to become the voice of this offense

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Agree but Ben better understand that he's going to do things the way Haley, Tomlin, and most especially the Rooney's, want things things done. Ben's sandlot football has to be toned down or injuries he keeps getting will shorten his career. He's no good to us if he can't play due to being injured because he trying to be a sandlot hero again.

I think Ben is over the loss of his old OC and buying in. I still think he reverts to sandlot ball at times.........its who he is.

I will be very impressed to see if Haley tries to let the guys up front impose their will in the run game, whether it be early in the game, on goal line, or in a 4 minute offense. The O still goes thru Ben, but DeCastro, Pouncey, Colon, Gilbert are maulers if the OC lets them be.

Hawaii 5-0
07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
My One Nagging Concern About the Upcoming Steelers Season: Todd Haley

by Anthony Defeo on Jul 11, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4632132/20120522_jla_al8_287_extra_large.jpg

about 1 month ago: May 22, 2012; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley gives instructions during organized team activities at the Steelers training facility.

Steelers Training Camp is just weeks away, and for thousands of faithful out there, it might as well be Christmas. Back when the Steelers lost their heartbreaker to the Broncos on January 8th, the start of the new season seemed like an eternity.

Now it's almost here, and I can't wait for things to get rolling.

Yes, every new season brings hope and optimism, especially for me. I'm not one of those people who ever has any grave "concerns" about the Steelers, at least not in the offseason. During the season, I might worry about an injury or a crucial game that's coming up, but in the offseason, I'm normally just counting down the days until September.

But this offseason is different. Everytime I think about the upcoming season, my mind never strays too far away from new offensive coordinator Todd Haley, and how the dynamics of his new system will play out in 2012.

From the beginning, I was a little concerned with everyone's enthusiasm about the implementation of an "official" fullback, even though, as it turns out, it's more than likely going to be David Johnson with a new number.

With a fullback in place, this could open up the play-action pass for Ben Roethlisberger a little more. There is also excitement for the possibility that Haley may be putting more emphasis on running the football this season. I could never figure out why people didn't think the Steelers had an effective ground game under Bruce Arians. While it may not have been the best in the league, it was probably a little more effective than people gave it credit for.

According to the stats I compiled on Pro Football Reference, in five seasons under Arians, the Steelers averaged 118 yards a game rushing the football, just over 4.1 yards per carry, and nearly 29 carries a game. In 2007, Willie Parker was leading the NFL in rushing before he broke his leg late in the season. And Rashard Mendenhall has averaged 4.3 yards per carry in his three full seasons as a starter.

I'm not trying to make this an Arians vs. Haley argument. There was clearly a problem with scoring points under Arians, as the team normally finished near the middle of the pack or worse under his leadership--last year, the Steelers only scored 16 more points than the pretty pedestrian Denver offense. Whether it was from a lack of imagination with regards to play-calling or an inferior offensive line, a change probably needed to be made just so we could find out once and for all. But 118 yards a game on the ground would seem to be effective enough production in today's pass-heavy NFL, especially when the OC had an elite quarterback and many aerial weapons at his disposal.

So, when people say "more emphasis on the run," what are they hoping for? Are they looking for a return to the mid-90's under Cowher? Well, I sure hope Haley isn't.

There is also great excitement about Haley's philosophy of utilizing the running backs out of the backfield in the passing game, and I can certainly get behind that. There were many times over the years when I wished Big Ben would just check the ball down to the open back circling out of the backfield instead of going for the bomb.

In Mendenhall, Redman, and maybe Batch and Rainey, the Steelers certainly have a stable of backs who are more than capable of being effective weapons in the passing game. Having said that, there is concern on my part about the absence of the lead horse in the stable of backs--Mendenhall. Without Mendenhall, who could possibly miss at least a portion of the 2012 season due to offseason ACL surgery, will the other backs be able to carry-out Haley's game plan?

Also, I think putting too much emphasis on the backs would take away from what I think is the real strength of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense: the wide receivers.

In Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, I believe the Steelers have the best receiving corps in the NFL, and I think they should be the main focus each and every week.

My real hope is that Haley is able to come in and make the Steelers' offense more explosive and dynamic by utilizing every facet of his arsenal, but especially the offense's strengths.

Haley's said that he's not a "systems" coach, and that he'll design his game plan each week according to what his team's strengths are and what he thinks is the best way to attack an opponent's defense. That's pretty comforting, and I hope he's sincere. One of Arian's weaknesses was an apparent unwillingness to tailor a game plan for a specific opponent more often than perhaps he should have.

At least Haley has a history of being flexible in that department. As OC in Arizona, he had maybe the most dynamic passing attack in he NFL, including three 1000 yard receivers in 2008. And as Head Coach of the Chiefs in 2010, he had the number one rushing attack in the NFL.

I'm not saying that I don't want Haley to come in and run the football at all. It's just that I don't want to see him do it just because he feels he HAS to in-order to appease the fan base.

And I haven't even talked about the terminology that all these guys must learn. Yes, plays are plays, and most teams pretty much have the same ones in their playbooks, but the terminology and signals are surely different from team-to-team. Hopefully, that's not something that hinders the unit for very long. Especially Big Ben. At 30, he's at the age where everything is starting to make sense to him. Last season, broadcasters would comment on how much more comfortable he was with everything, and how he was able to read defenses better than he ever had before.

The last thing I want to see is Roethlisberger take a step back at this stage of his career. He's already one of the best in the game, and I hope Todd Haley pushes him further in that direction and doesn't pull him back to the pack.

Anyway, these are my concerns about the new offense. They're not grave concerns, but they're enough to make me sit down and write about them.

Anyone else have similar concerns?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/11/3151432/my-one-nagging-concern-about-the-upcoming-steelers-season-todd-haley#storyjump

Fire Arians
07-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Haley's said that he's not a "systems" coach, and that he'll design his game plan each week according to what his team's strengths are and what he thinks is the best way to attack an opponent's defense. That's pretty comforting, and I hope he's sincere. One of Arian's weaknesses was an apparent unwillingness to tailor a game plan for a specific opponent more often than perhaps he should have.

At least Haley has a history of being flexible in that department. As OC in Arizona, he had maybe the most dynamic passing attack in he NFL, including three 1000 yard receivers in 2008. And as Head Coach of the Chiefs in 2010, he had the number one rushing attack in the NFL.

This was my #1 gripe with arians, he was stubborn to run his system, instead of attacking opponents' weaknesses and using our own strengths.

haley will make the offense better without a doubt. if one of our biggest worries is how much will getting rid of the worst OC in the NFL affect our offense, i'd say I'm pretty optimistic about this season

Hawaii 5-0
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Steelers WR Antonio Brown: 'Working With Todd Haley at OTAs and Minicamp Was Something Special'

by Neal Coolong on Jul 10, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4617754/136322827_extra_large.jpg

If nothing else, Steelers new offensive coordinator Todd Haley has a fan in WR Antonio Brown.

So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Brown, appearing on Jim Rome's show, "Rome," gives Haley a lot of credit, and comes off as optimistic for the offense's chances for success under Haley.

As quoted by Pro Football Talk, Brown sees good things for the wide receivers.

"Change can be great if everyone buys in," Brown said. "We're accepting Todd Haley -- you see his history of great wide receivers. Getting a chance of working with him at OTAs and minicamp was something special."

That's definitely a good start. The speculation surrounding the offseason was QB Ben Roethlisberger's willingness to buy into Haley as the offensive coodinator. How much of that was legitimate vs. media speculation during a dead time of the news cycle remains to be seen, but what's clear is Brown went in a different direction than the team's offensive captain did.

We've endorsed Brown as a possible captain candidate in his own right (and we'll mention it again, considering today is his 24th birthday), and regardless of having played just two seasons (only one did he appear in all 16 games), his production inherently puts him into a position of leadership. He is the team's reigning MVP, after all. It's a good thing to see he's excited to follow the new direction Haley is going to lead the Steelers in 2012.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/10/3148647/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley-antonio-brown-ben-roethlisberger

FanSince72
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm being open-minded about Haley and I have no reason to doubt that he will bring something new to this offense. But let's face it - with the talent we have (and have had in the recent past), just about any OC could have a successful season if the O-line had stayed healthy and consistent. The chronic injuries to the O-line and the resulting Musical Chairs replacements that seemed to be a weekly occurrence would test the skills of even the best OC.

A new playbook and a new OC may help, but the one thing that will benefit this team the most will be an O-line that can keep Ben upright and not have him running for his life on every pass play.

Like I've said before, instead of a new OC or a new playbook, maybe what we REALLY need is a new training staff.

Curtain_of_Steel
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Geez, I wonder what he really meant when he said "friendly?" lol

Of course there always has to be a post ob BEN when it comes to Haley, even though it was Brown saying Haley has been "friendly" lol

Ben controls the team, not Batch, not Leftwhich and not the other pos qb that will be lurking around the roster. Things will reflect Bens talents at the end of the day. Say what you want, critcize Ben all you want. That play book will resemble Bens talents one way or the other.

Fatsince72 said it all, OLINE OLINE!

If Ben had that the past 2 years we go all the way.

steelfury02
07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
past few years with o-line = huge guys lacking agility and speed, not able to readjust and block around the pocket fast enough and couldn't handle the best pass rushers. too many times I witnessed them stepping on each other/tripping over one another. Speed and agility when the ball is snapped is paramount to protecting Ben. Ben does need to be ok with throwing the ball away or taking a check down instead of going for 20+ when everything breaks down - not that it hasn't worked for him, but he needs to make some business decisions every now and then lol

Hawaii 5-0
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Ask The Steelers: Antonio Brown

Posted July 18, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Wide Receiver Antonio Brown

Bryan Sutton, Steubenville, Ohio: What was it like having Hines Ward as a mentor?
Brown: It was special. A guy who proved his love for the game, he knows the ins and outs and was a great guy to learn from.

Dan Myers, Rochester, New York: Have you received any advice from any former Steelers receivers, guys like Lynn Swann or John Stallworth, and if so what kind and how helpful was that?
Brown: Lynn Swann told me how much the game evolved since he played it. He told me to go out and make the key catches to help our team and put us in a good position.

Will Stuhlsatz: When I think of Antonio Brown, I think of the catch on his helmet. What is the favorite moment of your Steelers career so far?
Brown: I have a couple of them. That would be one of them; it was a clinching catch against Baltimore. That was in the top five. My first play ever would be the best, my reverse against the Titans. Also the last catch to seal the victory against the Jets to go to the Super Bowl.

Tony Cameneti: Who is you're surprise breakout teammate for 2012?
Brown: Baron Batch. I want to see him do really well.

Eric Ridenour, Painesville, Ohio: Since your arrival to Pittsburgh what teammate has had the greatest impact on your career and how so?
Brown: Byron Leftwich. He is always there for me, talking to me, ever since I got drafted. He was the first guy to call me, has been a key for me. He helps me with routes and has always been there for me.

Stephen Heil, Camas, Washington: What are your thoughts on your son playing football some day?
Brown: If he wants to, but I would never force it upon him. He is an active kid and I would support him.

Kevin Gobleck, Brunswick, Ohio: What drives you to be who you are and the way you train and perform?
Brown: I know struggle. I have experienced it. I know where I want to be and I want to make things better for my kids. I have to put my heart in it and my best foot forward so they arenít in the position I was in.

Noe Mejia, Las Cruces, New Mexico: How much have you grown as a player since your rookie year?
Brown: Where I have grown the most is my outlook of the game, my perspective, my mental approach, my spiritual approach. You have to continue to evolve as you are going forward.

Maria Clark, New York, New York: If there competition between you, Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and if so, what kind?
Brown: Itís a great competition, a friendly competition. Everybody wants to be the best. We hold each other to the best standards.

Lou Ralph, Detroit, Michigan: Seeing Hines Ward retire and having played for only the Steelers, how much would you like to have that happen to you Ė only one team in your career?
Brown: That is always the goal, finish where you started. It would be an amazing feeling going down as a Steeler.

Matthew Byington, Raleigh, North Carolina: How does it feel being a star drafted in the sixth round while others drafted earlier might not live up to their expectations?
Brown: It feels special. It shows the perseverance and dedication of a player coming from behind and working his way to the front.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers-Antonio-Brown/eac1863d-8509-4d35-82cb-f32abc22ecad