PDA

View Full Version : Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6

mesaSteeler
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6
July, 9, 2012

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Lost in the Fourth of July holiday was the fact that ESPN's Ron Jaworski put the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger at No. 6 in his rankings of the 30 best veteran quarterbacks in the NFL.

Here's what Jaworski had to say about Roethlisberger:

On ranking him No. 6: "Roethlisberger is the strongest quarterback in the NFL. He not only extends plays with movement out of the pocket, but also with his natural strength in the pocket. He's 'barn strong.'"

On what Roethlisberger doesn't get enough credit for: "His ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. I charted all 60 of his 20-plus yard completions in 2011. Only five came outside the pocket. In fact, time and time again he showed one of the most central attributes necessary to play at a high level in the NFL: the willingness to look down the gun barrel and deliver the football."

On what to expect from Roethlisberger: "I have seen a lot of growth from Roethlisberger in recent seasons. Once undisciplined and inconsistent in the pocket, he is now much improved. At No. 6 on my Big Board, Roethlisberger's on the cusp of becoming elite."

The quarterbacks ranked ahead of Roethlisberger are: Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

The other AFC North quarterbacks who made Jaworski's quarterback rankings were the Bengals' Andy Dalton (No. 19) and the Ravens' Joe Flacco (No. 9).

Twentyvalve
07-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Fair enough. With a healthy Ben, a healthy line, and some momentum, I put Ben at the top with the likes of Brees and Rogers. Hopefully that happens this year. . .

ricardisimo
07-09-2012, 10:18 PM
We need to see one year of Haley before we can prognosticate like this. Our record with out-of-house coordinators is not good, remember. Granted, I think Mark Malone and Kordell were the QBs when those other OCs were brought in. We'll see.

Steel_Bus_24
07-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I think Ben is better then the Mannings..... and is very close to the other 3...

Hes a clear number 1 in the ability to play with an injury category

Id like to see Rodgers play with a broken thumb and severe high Ankle Sprain

He's been banged up the past 2 post seasons....Hopefully this year, him and the rest of the team can get there relatively healthy

steelerchad
07-10-2012, 07:13 AM
as far as right now, I take Ben 4th ahead of the Manning. Peyton's obviously an all time great and has had a better career, but he's a big ? this year. Eli only got ahead of Ben based on LY's superbowl. To me, he's been in the 3-7 range every year of his career and the stats back that up.

Ricco Suavez
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I am a Big Ben man, yet I find no fault with another's opinion rating him #6. Rating QB's or teams for that matter is purely speculation and should be taken in the spirit of entertainment. I know Brady and Peyton have been the torch bearers for some time, yet it is no guarantee that either would have been successful in other systems or behind porous line play like Ben's, or with an OC like Arians. Who knows if Eli wins anything without dominant performances by his defense in both of their SB wins. I only know we had a long dry spell from 1980 to 2005 and I do not believe it is coincidence that we have two new trophies in our case since Ben's arrival. He was a missing piece that was needed to put us over the hump.

Steelboy84
07-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I'd put him at around 5, but 6 is good.

JPPT1974
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
With him being healthy. Hopefully that the team will go very far. And win the SB!

Dino 6 Rings
07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Why does Brees get so much love when its clear his team mates were intentionally trying to hurt with cheap shots the other team's QBs during his one SB run? I mean, sure the guy can sling the ball, but just one appearance in the SB and that is now tarnished with the on the field cheapness of his defense but he's better than Ben? Didn't Breese LOSE in Seattle to a 7-9 Playoff team? Pretty sure he did. Isn't that the Suckiest event in the history of modern day playoffs? I mean losing to Tebow was pretty awful, but at least they weren't Under .500 and still in the playoffs...just saying.

Millers the sh!t
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
**** Brees....

Steelersfan87
07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Why does Brees get so much love when its clear his team mates were intentionally trying to hurt with cheap shots the other team's QBs during his one SB run? I mean, sure the guy can sling the ball, but just one appearance in the SB and that is now tarnished with the on the field cheapness of his defense but he's better than Ben? Didn't Breese LOSE in Seattle to a 7-9 Playoff team? Pretty sure he did. Isn't that the Suckiest event in the history of modern day playoffs? I mean losing to Tebow was pretty awful, but at least they weren't Under .500 and still in the playoffs...just saying.

Drew Brees is a better quarterback than Ben Roethlisberger. The Saints' defense looking for cheap shots has pretty much nothing to do with how well Brees plays. Do you know how many consecutive games he's thrown a touchdown? How many seasons he's topped 70% completion percentage? He's thrown for at least 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns in every season since 2008. He's thrown for over 5000 yards twice, including almost 5,500 last year. He threw for almost 1,500 more yards than Roethlisberger last year. He has 22 touchdown passes in 9 playoff games. He has the lowest career interception percentage in the playoffs. Brees has been historically great for the past half decade...it's not even a fair comparison. The Steelers are a much better and more complete team than the Saints, but come on...Drew Brees outclasses Roethlisberger. Or at least he has up until this point in his career.

MasterOfPuppets
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
yes they did lose to the saints. when your offense puts up 36 points , 32 first downs , and you still lose , you might wanna look at putting some of the blame on the defense. :noidea:

mikegrimey
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Blaming Brees for the Saints losing to the Seahawks would be like blaming Ben for Tebows 300 + yard day.

Also bringing up one game when trying to compare QBs is pretty lazy, even if I was on your side of the argument, I'd be embarrassed by your logic.

ben2hines=6
07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
even bringing up drew brees in this arguement is mental. the manning brohemians are the only arguement here and i myself wouldnt put ben above either. lets see if he can do better with a coordinator that maybe isnt so predictable and see what kind of stats/year this guy has but as far as brees, rodgers and brady goes, please.

Hawaii 5-0
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
as far as brees, rodgers and brady goes, please.

I would rate Aaron Rodgers ahead of Ben as Rodgers throws 3.5 TDs for every interception, while Ben throws 1.6 TDs for every interception.

ben2hines=6
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
i meant that theres no arguement that brees, rodgers and brady are in fact better than ben at this point

Hawaii 5-0
07-13-2012, 06:51 PM
i meant that theres no arguement that brees, rodgers and brady are in fact better than ben at this point

sorry, i misunderstood.

in that case, I agree with you...:drink:

Ricco Suavez
07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Statistically I would rank Ben behind several QBs in the NFL. But at the time we drafted him and what we have had in the time between him and Terry, and with a declining O-Line and Bettis on his retirement bed at that time, he was a God Send. I do not know how things would of turned out with Rivers as our QB but I am happy with what played out.

Steelersfan87
07-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh, surely. The vast majority of the league would trade half their team away to acquire a QB of Roethlisberger's caliber. It's just that that doesn't have to mean he's THE best QB in the league. And the Steelers don't need that, they're a complete team. Frankly, with their roster, they wouldn't be able to afford to pay any of the guys "above" him. His contract is probably considered a bargain by now for elite QBs.

Hawaii 5-0
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Packers’ website likes Aaron Rodgers’ chances to hit 6,000 yards

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/a-rodgerswin.jpg?w=250

Before 2011, only two quarterbacks in NFL history had passed for 5,000 yards in a season. In 2011, three quarterbacks hit 5,000 yards. So how far are we from a 6,000-yard passing season?

Vic Ketchman of Packers.com thinks we’re not far at all, and that Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a good bet to do it.

“I not only think it’s attainable, I think it’s predictable,” Ketchman writes. “Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,643 yards last season. Had he played in the finale against the Lions, he would’ve blown past the 5,000-yard mark. If the Packers play in more shootout type games, as the Lions game was, I think Rodgers would be a strong candidate to crack the 6,000-yard mark. He clearly can play that kind of game.”

A 6,000-yard season may happen in the NFL eventually, but I think 6,000 yards is a lot further away than Vic Ketchman seems to believe. First of all, it’s possible that 2011 was an outlier in terms of passing numbers, and not the start of a trend toward 5,000-yard seasons becoming commonplace. Maybe defenses were behind the game last year after the lockout, and maybe this year we’ll start to see some defensive adjustments that rein in some of the league’s best passers.

And even if last year’s passing numbers are the new normal, there’s still a lot of distance between Drew Brees’s new record of 5,476 yards and Rodgers (or anyone) reaching 6,000 yards. Asking a quarterback to produce a 10 percent increase on Brees’s spectacular season is a tall order. To reach 6,000 yards, a quarterback would need to average 375 yards a game. A 375-yard game is still relatively rare, and a quarterback averaging 375 yards a game, every game, for a 16-game season, is extremely difficult.

After Dan Marino set a record with 5,084 yards in 1984, it took 27 seasons for Brees to break that record. It could easily be another quarter century or more before anyone tops Brees’s record. A 6,000-yard season is probably a long way off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/20/packers-website-likes-aaron-rodgers-chances-to-hit-6000-yards/

PhantomJB93
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I of course think he's higher, but at least people aren't still saying stupid, silly things like Philip Rivers, Romo, Matt Ryan, or Vick are better than him. This is the first offseason I haven't heard too much of that BS, although I think it's more due to the above having down years than people finally giving Ben the credit he deserves.

And no QB will ever throw for 6,000 yards in a 16 game season unless their team has no desire to win games. Only way it would ever happen would be if the QB literally passed on every play, which would just be stupid and a recipe for failure. 5,500, maybe if he's REALLY consistent and being AMAZING, but 6,000 never.

Bayz101
07-20-2012, 05:13 PM
He'd need at least FOUR 500 yard games, and 300+ yards for the other twelve. That's a lot.