PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence has the Steelers reconsidering the buck ILB position:

tony hipchest
07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Great article by jim wexell-

http://pit.scout.com/

Rookie's instincts and understanding of the game have the Steelers considering whether Sean Spence can play a position that the gargantuan Levon Kirkland once made famous.

When Steelers linebacker coach Kevin Butler first met Sean Spence at the NFL combine, he told him that “

So why was Steelers special-teams coach Al Everest muttering on the sidelines about the possibility of losing Spence to the starting lineup the same way he had lost another rookie?

During spring drills, Spence had replaced an injured Stevenson Sylvester as the backup buck linebacker behind Larry Foote, and the buzz coming out of the Steelers’ linebacker meetings was that Spence was a true student of the game. He took the right notes and asked all the right questions. He was eating whole the complexities and nuances of a position Farrior claimed had taken him years to master.

Spence’s interception that day at Heinz Field had turned the defensive coaches’ buzz into the special-teams coach’s mutterings.

After the practice, Everest was asked to go on the record about Spence.

“Well, basically, right now, he’s doing everything. He’s doing a great job,” Everest said. “It’s all a part of football; wherever he can serve the team best. He’s a good player. He’s a good player. He’s smart, he pays attention, he listens and he applies. He’s a very impressive young man, I can tell you that.”

So impressive that Butler actually moved Spence from the “no rookie linebacker comes in and and starts” camp to the “we’ll see” camp after that spring dress rehearsal at Heinz Field.

hwalker84
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
These are the thing's I love to hear. I feel like we had one of the best drafts in recent memory.

steelfury02
07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I agree - I don't want to get too excited yet but if this draft is as good as everyone thinks it is - we just restocked the shelves at one of the most critical junctures and while everyone thinks we're taking a step back, we might just have the young blood to keep haters hating for a looooong time to come - muahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Steelers>NFL
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Very exciting read. Can not wait to see our young guys play!!

Steel_Bus_24
07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't believe Im so pumped to see pre-season games

A lot of young blood out there now, thats hopefully very good

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2012, 12:51 PM
There is no doubt that the kid can play and just makes tackles. I love that on film he appears to always be moving towards the ball and not standing or stepping in the bucket while trying to read the play.

I'd like to see them move Timmons to the Buck and let Spence play the Mack. That may happen next year or on possible 2nd or 3rd down situations this season.

Vis
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Some players don't fit the system so the system adjusts. When Troy was drafted he started to learn the the safety position the way it was on paper. The coaches changed the position to fit Troy. When Troy goes, it will have to change back. If Spence brings something special to the field, the scheme can adjust.

GMU Steeler
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Looks like another great pick by Colbert and co. Can't wait to see the young guys play come August.

Bayz101
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM

I'm with you on this. This is undoubtedly the most excited I've EVER been to see some pre-season games.

Ricco Suavez
07-10-2012, 02:46 PM
A lot of doubters and naysayers when this pick came in on draft day. I have been on record since day one that I like this kid, the instincts he has and the way he plays with a "chip on his shoulder" endeared him to me right away. I will continue to root for this guy.
BTW I like the Sweed pick along time back also, so I am batting 0 for 1 and hoping Spence makes me .500.

Bayz101
07-10-2012, 03:18 PM
A lot of doubters and naysayers when this pick came in on draft day. I have been on record since day one that I like this kid, the instincts he has and the way he plays with a "chip on his shoulder" endeared him to me right away. I will continue to root for this guy.
BTW I like the Sweed pick along time back also, so I am batting 0 for 1 and hoping Spence makes me .500.

The Sweed pick doesn't count. My entire family liked that pick. We've canceled that one out altogether.

FrancoLambert
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Didn't know a thing about him pre-draft.
When I saw various pictures of him from the combine and 1st rookie camp I said, "this dude looks serious."
Would be great if he suddenly contributes big time at ILB.

Buddha Bus
07-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm glad this kid is impressing the coaches so much. I definitely like what I'm hearing, but I'm tempering my enthusiasm a bit until I see it on the field in action under game conditions. I really hope he's not just another "pre-season MVP". By the sounds of it, he could be potentially much more. *fingers crossed*

Ironman55
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Being a Miami Hurricane fan, I can tell you that this pick was a special one. Sean Spence was not talked about much on draft day but we got a gem here. When watching Hurricane games, Sean Spence was ALWAYS around the ball and was ALWAYS in the right position. When a play needed to be made, he would make it. People will overlook him due to his size but that will be the biggest mistake of their lives. Mark my words, we will pay dividends THIS year in some form or fashion. I can't wait to see how!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Didn't know a thing about him pre-draft.
When I saw various pictures of him from the combine and 1st rookie camp I said, "this dude looks serious."
Would be great if he suddenly contributes big time at ILB.

All Spence did in his 4 seasons at Miami was tackle every thing in site. He doesnt have the classic size of an ILB, but all the talking heads had him ranked well. Kiper, Mayock, McShay, etc.

Mayock had Spence early in his top 5 LB list after the bowl games. Then after the combine, some of the other workout warriors got more press.

-“I love Sean Spence,” Mayock said. “Someone is going to get a hell of a player.”

But Mayock was troubled by Spence's poor performance in the bench press on Monday.

-Kiper Jr. called UM’s Sean Spence “one of the best tackling linebackers in this draft.”

At 5-11, 231 pounds, “With Spence, the big thing is the size,” Kiper Jr. said. “You look at him, I thought he’d be a safety at certain points in his career because he didn’t look like a linebacker.”

McShay had Spence Mocked going in the 4th (124 overall) to Buffalo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh, and I am on the record as wanting James Michael Johnson from Nevada, as he had more of the classic size and frame to play the Buck LB. Johnson would be a buck that would need a year or 2 to make the transition to starting IMO. Spence is a more instinctive player, but duplicates the position that Timmons is already in.

Twentyvalve
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
It will be interesting to see how much they play due to the drastic changes. I know traditionally the starting corps plays less, but I wonder how much that will change this preseason.

tanda10506
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
If the Steelers are even considering to start you at ILB as a rookie, I mean if they even just kid around about it, then you must be not only exceeding expectations, but exceeding past other players. We have one of, if not thee best LB corps in football, if your standing out in practice with those guys as a rookie then your probably going to be pretty damn good for a long time. Can't wait for preseason!

Millers the sh!t
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm glad this kid is impressing the coaches so much. I definitely like what I'm hearing, but I'm tempering my enthusiasm a bit until I see it on the field in action under game conditions. I really hope he's not just another "pre-season MVP". By the sounds of it, he could be potentially much more. *fingers crossed*

My thoughts exactly.

Hawaii 5-0
07-11-2012, 02:39 AM

I will admit to letting out a big groan when Sean Spence was announced as the Steelers' 3rd round selection. however, the more I read and hear about Spence the more excited I am about this kid's prospects of becoming one of our future starting ILBs.

and for the record, I loved the Limas Sweed pick when it was made so I am hoping and looking forward to being 0 for 2...

Galax Steeler
07-11-2012, 04:10 AM
It will be interesting to see this battle in camp. It will all come down to who wants it more,I like what I am hearing about Spence.

Steelerfreak58
07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Love what I am hearing. Hope he has the actual physical talent to go along with the young mans head for the game and it pans out. This draft year can really set us up for the future in big ways if they pan out.

pancake
07-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I remember NFL talking about Spence at the combine. Saying he could be a Zach Thomas type of player. Now I could live with that!!! :tt04:

PhantomJB93
07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I really thought his size concerns were overblown. If you ever watched him at all over the last few years, it was easy to see he would be just fine at linebacker regardless of his size.

MasterOfPuppets
07-11-2012, 10:13 PM
there have been literally hundreds of college "tackling machines" that didn't cut it in the NFL. sure spence played well in miami's system , but none of that gives me confidence that it'll carry over to lebeau's 3-4 system. he looks like a text book tackler but will he be able to shed 300+ lb blockers to get to the ball carrier ?

Ironman55
07-12-2012, 08:42 AM
If Sean Spence was coming out of an unknown school, I would have those concerns as well but he came from UM where they did face top talent and still shined. I am not going to put a halo on his head yet, of course, but I just want to say that I loved the pick in the thrid round. He was a beast at UM and I now love seing a him in the black and gold!! To catch the eyes of Butler as a rookie, you have to be doing something pretty special. We have a long way to go before we know for sure but I will be rooting for him. One thing is for sure, you will love his work ethic and understanding of the game. He is a beast on the field, in the classroom, and in the film room. He will be prepared to show his best side come St. Vincent and pre-season. Get your popcorn ready!! :drink: