PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Mendenhall says he’s healing ‘wonderfully’

mesaSteeler
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Steelers’ Mendenhall says he’s healing ‘wonderfully’
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2202840-85/mendenhall-steelers-dawson-former-brister-fame-hall-july-knee-maas?printerfriendly=true
By Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, July 13, 2012, 7:30 p.m.
Updated 2 hours ago

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall posted a Twitter message Friday that his injured right knee has “healed wonderfully.”

General manager Kevin Colbert said last month he expects the former 1,000-yard rusher to begin training camp July 25 on the physically unable to perform list.

Mendenhall tore the ACL in his right knee during the final regular-season game Jan. 1 against Cleveland. The normal recovery time for the injury is nine to 12 months.

Isaac Redman is expected to start at running back if Mendenhall isn’t ready for the Sept. 9 season opener in Denver.

Dawson, Brister, Maas join lawsuit

Hall of Fame inductee Dermontti Dawson, former Steelers quarterback Bubby Brister and 1980s-era Pitt defensive line star Bill Maas are among the more than 2,600 former NFL players who have joined in the nearly 100 lawsuits that allege the league long ignored the dangers of repetitive head injuries.

Dawson, who played for the Steelers from 1988-2000, will be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 4.

He and 46 other ex-players filed suit July 3 in Mississippi.

pete74
07-14-2012, 04:39 AM
I really hope Mendehall misses the first 5 games. I want to see Redman carry the load for a while and see what he can do.

wera176
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd love to see Mendy ready at the beginning of the season, but with Redman we have NO need to rush him back, so lets make sure he's 100% before we play him, whenever that is.

truesteelerfan
07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd love to see Mendy ready at the beginning of the season, but with Redman we have NO need to rush him back, so lets make sure he's 100% before we play him, whenever that is.

Agree completely! If nothing else, we have 2 competent backs that hopefully are fresh late in the year.

Merchant
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
The question is.. If Redman plays remarkably and averages over 100 yards per game up to the time Mendy heals.. Do you keep Redman as the starter or have him backing up Mendy again?

Ironman55
07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Besides Mendy, I am actually excited to see how Baron Batch does in his return. He was looking good before the injury last trainging camp. Chris Raney will fill the scat back role also. Bring on the pre-season baby!!

LVSteelersfan
07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I am sorry that Mendy got hurt but it has been stated over and over again that ACL injuries take at least two years to get back to normal especailly for a RB who has to make drastic cuts. If he plays this year at all I don't think he is going to have any explosiveness because a player tends to be very tentative. His explosiveness was almost non-existent before the injury as he danced behind the line all the time instead of hitting it hard. If he couldn't get it right before the injury, what makes anyone think he will be any better after it. I think Mendenhall will see the last of his time on the Steelers this year if he plays at all. They may have to put him on I/R so that they don't lose one of the talented RBs (Rainey and Batch) to some other team. I am not a huge Mendy fan although I think a lot of his problems were Arians and O-line related.

ANDYMISIU
07-18-2012, 07:35 AM
His tweet gives or implies nothing about returning earlier than expected. Healing is one thing, rehabbing the ACL back into football strength and flexibility is another thing.

Hawaii 5-0
07-23-2012, 02:13 AM
SB Nation Ranks Steelers RBs 30th in the NFL

by Neal Coolong on Jul 22, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4753837/GYI0061606191.jpg

Apparently, SB Nation's Ryan Van Bibber is not aware of Steelers RB Isaac Redman's power over time and space.

He ranked the Steelers' running backs 30th of the 32 teams in the NFL recently, suggesting the possible absence of prize back Rashard Mendenhall will affect the team in a negative way.

Mendenhall tore his ACL at the end of the regular season, and could begin the year on the PUP list, which would keep him out of the first six games of the year.

Redman is the likely starter, and has done well in previous spot-starts in the past, including an impressive performance in a playoff loss in Denver.

The depth behind Redman, though, is a secret strength of the Steelers, and it's one of the main training camp battles to watch beginning Thursday.

Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay have logged carries during the regular season, and Baron Batch showed promise before tearing his ACL in training camp last year. Rookie Chris Rainey has great speed, and could be a contributor on special teams as well as a situational back on the offense.

While the Steelers won't likely keep all five, it is possible they do, assuming Mendenhall misses the start of the year.

That may not even happen, though, it's purely speculation.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/22/3176005/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-battles-running-backs-rashard-mendenhall-injury

VaDave
07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
I can't wait to see Mendenhall running into the back side of Ramon Foster again.... oh, that's right, No more BA, & Foster will be on the bench...

Seriously, I would not under estimate this running back group. This is a good group of young kids that if they stay healthy, could be with us for a while. From a depth perspective, this may be the deepest and most diverse pooIe of runners I can remember.

Add to that, from a talent perspective, they'll be running behind a vastly improved offensive line, that will be opperating a MUCH better offensive system.

CaliStillersFan
07-25-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Mendenhall can do behind our new offensive line, running plays designed by our new offensive coordinator.