PDA

View Full Version : Best Steeler LB of all time

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Well it's that time of year and it was on my mind, so what do you guy's think?

pete74
07-16-2012, 04:02 AM
I voted Lambert but Lloyd was by far my favorite. I met him a few times at Young Brothers Tae Kwon do and he is a very nice guy but was an animal on the field. This will be Harrison's last season with the Steelers and he would of easily top my list if he started playing earlier. He only has 5 years as a starter but they were the best 5 years of any Steeler LB and I wish to god he was just turning 29 not 34.

Vis
07-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Your list needs Ham and Greene.

wera176
07-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Your list needs Ham and Greene.

+1

And Russell

But i gotta go with 58, 59 is a CLOSE 2nd.

MDSteel15
07-16-2012, 07:08 AM
It's ridiculous that Jack Ham is not on this list! Greene wasn't here long enough....

Steelers>NFL
07-16-2012, 07:14 AM
I voted Lambert but Lloyd was by far my favorite. I met him a few times at Young Brothers Tae Kwon do and he is a very nice guy but was an animal on the field. This will be Harrison's last season with the Steelers and he would of easily top my list if he started playing earlier. He only has 5 years as a starter but they were the best 5 years of any Steeler LB and I wish to god he was just turning 29 not 34.

You really think this will be Harrison's last year in Pittsburgh???

ANDYMISIU
07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Jack Ham was the best Steelers linebacker ever.

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I would have went with Joe Greene. Added two more, by request.

steelfury02
07-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Ham's speed and tenacity and Lambert's hard hitting ferocity and intimidation = best in NFL ever

of course, everyone at NFL Network and ESPN will tell you that championships aren't everything, well because they either only did it once or not at all

wera176
07-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I would have went with Joe Greene. Added two more, by request.

It's Kevin Greene :wink02:

pete74
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
You really think this will be Harrison's last year in Pittsburgh???

Unless he has an MVP year. He would save them 8 million next year and Steelers usually don't keep LB's. once there in there mid 30's. I can see him retiring if he continues to have back problems

Steelerfreak58
07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Lambert by far.

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
It's Kevin Greene :wink02:

He played for us all of two years :wink02:

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I didn't add Mean Joe because I was only looking at LB's, not lineman. As far as not putting Ham on there.....no excuse for that.....I just f***** up lol.

As for Harrison, I think his future depends a lot on Worilds and next years draft. If Worilds gets a chance and plays as well or better then last year then the traditional Steelers way would be to let Harrison go and start Worilds, so staying healthy will be the key. I see him here for at least 2 more seasons (the upcoming season and the next), but injuries and the size of his contract could make it his last year .According to Harrison, his back injury lingered all season, yet he still had some big plays and big games, he definitely could have an all pro year if he's healthy.

jiminpa
07-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I didn't add Mean Joe because I was only looking at LB's, not lineman. As far as not putting Ham on there.....no excuse for that.....I just f***** up lol.

As for Harrison, I think his future depends a lot on Worilds and next years draft. If Worilds gets a chance and plays as well or better then last year then the traditional Steelers way would be to let Harrison go and start Worilds, so staying healthy will be the key. I see him here for at least 2 more seasons (the upcoming season and the next), but injuries and the size of his contract could make it his last year .According to Harrison, his back injury lingered all season, yet he still had some big plays and big games, he definitely could have an all pro year if he's healthy.His back has been a problem for years and the NFL hates him. It may be time for him to ride into the sunset. I don't want to say that. He just may be the last real linebacker left in the NFL.

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
His back has been a problem for years and the NFL hates him. It may be time for him to ride into the sunset. I don't want to say that. He just may be the last real linebacker left in the NFL.

I don't know if he's the last real LB left, but he will probably be the last defender to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Woodley and Timmons are great LB's and Woodley is an animal, but only a few LB's have ever played like Harrison. We were lucky enough to have 2 others that played like that with Porter and Lloyd before him. I'm not even sure that they are "better" LB's, it's just a different style, and unfortunately Adolf Goodell is doing everything he can to make sure it's gone for good. It's a damn shame what's happening. I remember when Chris Berman (dbag) had a segment in the Monday Night half time show called jacked up (a few other commentators had similar segments), and the whole segment was of HUGE hits. Now every single one of those hits that were shown during that segment would result in a penalty, fine, and possibly suspension if your a Steeler.

truesteelerfan
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Agree with Pete74. Lambert is our best ever, but I sure loved watching Lloyd play - he was my fav.

wera176
07-16-2012, 03:22 PM
He played for us all of two years :wink02:

But at least he was a LBer. :wink02:

:drink:

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
But at least he was a LBer. :wink02:

Ah. Completely ignored the LB'er in the thread title and went into "Steelers Defense" mode.

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Removed Mean Joe from the voting. I sort of ignored the fact that this is a LB'er exclusive poll :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
07-16-2012, 05:16 PM
1. Lambert
2. Ham
3. Lloyd/Harrison

pancake
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Agree with Pete74. Lambert is our best ever, but I sure loved watching Lloyd play - he was my fav.

I'm with you guys too! Lloyd was an animal! I will always have his jersey.

Hawaii 5-0
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm with you guys too! Lloyd was an animal! I will always have his jersey.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/adam1784/YouTube-GregLloydTributeWATCHINHIGHQUALITY_1283189364063.p ng

pancake
07-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I love that pic and shirt, thanks Hawaii!

Avoid-Lloyd
07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Lambert with Ham being a close second, but Lloyd is my favorite Steeler of all-time.

Avoid-Lloyd
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Could you please add Alonzo Jackson and Bruce Davis to the list? :wink02:

BlacknGold76
07-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Jack Lambert by far.

1st&Goal
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Dobre Shunka

Saw him whack Earl Campbell so hard once on a goal line stand, that his momma talked backwards for a week.

ricardisimo
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Lambert, but not only should Ham and Russell be on this list, what about Gildon, or Kirkland? I used to giggle like a schoolgirl on shrooms watching that bowling ball beat athletic tight ends to the ball regularly. What a thrill. Thank you, Levon.

Rick5895
07-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I could name a number of great Steelers LB's, but Lambert is the best. Ham is very close. I'm with a ot of gys in here with Lloyd being one of my favs as you can see by my screen name(5895).
We have been very fortunate as Steelers fans to have seen a number of great LB's in our history. Some guys not on this list that were excellent players like Hardy Nickerson, Mike Merriweather, Levon kirkland, Gildon(who at one time I beleive was called "baby Lloyd).
Another week til training camp.....can't wait!!

wera176
07-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Ah. Completely ignored the LB'er in the thread title and went into "Steelers Defense" mode.

:thumbsup:

Justin Otstott
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Had to vote Jack as the best because of his HOF status and his play on the field...however, Joey Poter is my personal favorite on that list! It is what it is...

4xSBChamps
07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
choose one

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/HamLambertRussell.jpg

can't lose with any of them

Hawaii 5-0
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM

and what a defense it was! :tt02:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1007/nfl.1975.season.rare.photos/images/jack-lambert-joe-greene.jpg

pete74
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Wow seeing that picture its hard to belive how small Lambert was

Atlanta Dan
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow seeing that picture its hard to believe how small Lambert was

Steelers LBs under Noll and Bud Carson's defense were built for pursuit to the ball

These were the physical stats for Lambert, Russell, and Ham

Jack Ham
Height: 6-1 Weight: 225 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HamxJa00.htm

Jack Lambert
Height: 6-4 Weight: 220 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LambJa00.htm

Andy Russell
Height: 6-2 Weight: 225 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RussAn00.htm

With regard to who was better, I always liked Ham because he quietly got the job done and is overlooked today (as evidenced by initially being left out of this poll) but I suppose Lambert gets the nod as the leader of the defense starting in Super Bowl X in his second season. Hard to argue against either one.

Lambert - 6-time First-Team All-Pro
Ham - 6-time First-Team All-Pro

FWIW if you want to see them in their prime I stumbled across this YouTube video of the Steelers-Raiders AFC championship game in January 1976 - Goodell would ban players for life if he would have been Commissioner when this game was played (you can get full screen if you go to the link below the youtube video where I found this)

34wg5Kw9e2U

http://steelcurtainrising.blogspot.com/2012/06/steelers-raiders-1975-afc-championship.html

LayingTheWoodley56
07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm 22 and even I can't believe Jack Ham wasn't on the original list. It has to be Lambert, though. I unfortunately never got to see him play but I know he's widely hailed as the best to ever play backer for us, and that is a long list. I try to appreciate my Steeler history even though I wasn't around for it, so I proudly wear a #58 black jersey on many game days

Lizard72
07-18-2012, 02:11 AM
I went with Lloyd. I know all about Lambert, but I really loved watching a modern athlete like Lloyd out there lay those hits and talk trash.

Steeldude
07-18-2012, 05:57 AM
How in the hell did Ham get overlooked and added later? Ham is probably the better LB, but Lambert is what made the defense run. It's a tough call, but I go with Lambert because he is my favorite players of all-time.

The other LBs aren't even close to Ham or Lambert. I'll give Lloyd 3rd place, but Harrison is really close to being 3rd too.

wera176
07-18-2012, 07:05 AM
How in the hell did Ham get overlooked and added later? Ham is probably the better LB, but Lambert is what made the defense run. It's a tough call, but I go with Lambert because he is my favorite players of all-time.

The other LBs aren't even close to Ham or Lambert. I'll give Lloyd 3rd place, but Harrison is really close to being 3rd too.

That's the story of Ham's life, over-shadowed by Lambert. Even when he played. There were indeed many things that Ham did better than Lambert, and there were people even then that said Lambert wasn't the best LB in that unit, but as you said Lambert was the leader of that group, just like Porter was when he was here. He had that certain "something" that comes along soooo rarely.

Without question, Ham would have been the best LB on just about any other team of that era. As would have Russell.

Move evidence that we Steeler fans are the luckiest fans in the NFL! :tt:

LVSteelersfan
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Quarterbacks should be wearing skirts. Just that quote alone makes Lambert my favorite Steeler LB of all time. I just remember him being the one you noticed on the field of the three LBs. Ham was great but Lambert is by far my all time favorite. I would put Lloyd second as well. He was a beast who used his martial arts knowledge to his advantage.

My photo on my profile probably gives away who is my favorite Steeler ever.

Hawaii 5-0
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Quarterbacks should be wearing skirts. Just that quote alone makes Lambert my favorite Steeler LB of all time. I just remember him being the one you noticed on the field of the three LBs. Ham was great but Lambert is by far my all time favorite. I would put Lloyd second as well. He was a beast who used his martial arts knowledge to his advantage.

My photo on my profile probably gives away who is my favorite Steeler ever.

my personal favorite Jack Lambert moment:

http://youtu.be/4swpTYFzo_8

http://sportdfw.com/files/2012/04/2156912.jpg?483fd5

4xSBChamps
07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
my personal favorite Jack Lambert moment:

http://sportdfw.com/files/2012/04/2156912.jpg?483fd5

while that image, of Harris getting his attitude-adjusted, is what everybody thinks of, what is overlooked is his athleticism, and the fact that
Lambert could play-football

3 weeks before, in the 1st round game against Baltimore, he made 3 consecutive plays that showcased his brilliance

on 1st down, he sniffed-out a swing-pass to Mitchell, tackiling him for a short-loss

on 2nd down, he fought-off several blockers, and stuffed a Colt RB in the hole for no-gain, setting-up 3rd & long

on 3rd down, the Colts tried a deep-pass down the middle of the field, but Lambert had the intended receiver covered, leapt, and knocked-away the pass

while the ass-hat who patrols the middle of the field for the Purple-Browns could make the 1st two plays, ol' Stabby Stabberson wouldn't be 20+ yards downfield, jumping to break-up long passes

1st&Goal
07-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Steelers LBs under Noll and Bud Carson's defense were built for pursuit to the ball

These were the physical stats for Lambert, Russell, and Ham

Jack Ham
Height: 6-1 Weight: 225 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HamxJa00.htm

Jack Lambert
Height: 6-4 Weight: 220 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LambJa00.htm

Andy Russell
Height: 6-2 Weight: 225 lbs.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RussAn00.htm

With regard to who was better, I always liked Ham because he quietly got the job done and is overlooked today (as evidenced by initially being left out of this poll) but I suppose Lambert gets the nod as the leader of the defense starting in Super Bowl X in his second season. Hard to argue against either one.

Lambert - 6-time First-Team All-Pro
Ham - 6-time First-Team All-Pro

FWIW if you want to see them in their prime I stumbled across this YouTube video of the Steelers-Raiders AFC championship game in January 1976 - Goodell would ban players for life if he would have been Commissioner when this game was played (you can get full screen if you go to the link below the youtube video where I found this)

34wg5Kw9e2U

http://steelcurtainrising.blogspot.com/2012/06/steelers-raiders-1975-afc-championship.html

Dear Mr. Dan, Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoyed seeing the game again.

Hawaii 5-0
07-21-2012, 02:07 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1107/james.harrison.rare.pics/images/james-harrison-eyes.jpg

ricardisimo
07-21-2012, 03:03 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1107/james.harrison.rare.pics/images/james-harrison-eyes.jpg
Indeed. Harrison is very good. Scary good. The obvious knock on him is his tenure. He started late and looks like he might finish early. Nothing to be done about that, sadly.

Steelersfan87
07-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Question: What do you think it would take for James Harrison to get into the Hall of Fame? For comparison, Kevin Greene is not in yet. He had 160 sacks compared to Harrison's 58. But Greene's career is about 3 times as long in terms of being a starter. He also has 5 interceptions, as does Harrison; and 23 forced fumbles, where Harrison has 27. In fact, he averages more than 5 forced fumbles a year.

Harrison has made it to the Pro Bowl in all 5 of his starting seasons, as well as 4 All-Pro teams and a Defensive MVP award. Greene had 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All-Pro nods. Harrison is also a 2 time Super Bowl champion. Harrison also routinely posts absurd tackle numbers for a 3-4 OLB, posting totals of 98, 101, 79, 100, and 59, with the last obviously coming in 2011 when he missed 5 games. In contrast, Green only cracked 70 once, which is by no means a criticism, as that is a high number for the position.

So, realistically, without rose-colored glasses, what would it take to put Harrison in the discussion for the Hall of Fame? Two more All-Pro seasons? 3 more? Is it an unreachable goal for him?

ricardisimo
07-21-2012, 03:49 AM
If his back doesn't hold up, there's no discussion here. If Mercury Morris can't make it in, neither will Harrison.

4xSBChamps
07-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Question: What do you think it would take for James Harrison to get into the Hall of Fame?

$21 for an adult ticket

Buddha Bus
07-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with Ric that Kirkland should have at least made the list (not so much Gildon), but I still would have, and did, vote for Lambert. Lambert's attitude and badass, missing teeth glare could win it alone. :chuckle:

http://throwbacksnw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Lambert1.jpg

jiminpa
07-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Dobre Shunka

Saw him whack Earl Campbell so hard once on a goal line stand, that his momma talked backwards for a week.The whole defense took turns at tooth rattling shots on Campbell. I wish I had a dollar for every time the idiot Cosell said, "you can't takle Earl Campbell one on one," while a Steeler was attempting to bodyslamm him through the foundation of the stadium, one on one. They all HATED Campbell, even the ones who didn't hate anyone.

jiminpa
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
That's the story of Ham's life, over-shadowed by Lambert. Even when he played. There were indeed many things that Ham did better than Lambert, and there were people even then that said Lambert wasn't the best LB in that unit, but as you said Lambert was the leader of that group, just like Porter was when he was here. He had that certain "something" that comes along soooo rarely.

Without question, Ham would have been the best LB on just about any other team of that era. As would have Russell.

Move evidence that we Steeler fans are the luckiest fans in the NFL! :tt:Ham was to Lambert what Clark is to Polamolu. Can't take anything from any of them.