PDA

View Full Version : How much are the rules hurting us? (warning: extremely long off season topic)

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
We are all sick of Goodel's new rules and it's obvious how it has hurt our team. The penalties have cost us big time and played a decent sized role in our 2nd loss to Baltimore this season. Also Harrison's suspension cost us at the worst of times. So there is no question that the rules, by design (just like they made the no contact after 5 yards on a WR because of the Steelers) have hurt our team at times. The thing that I am concerned with is how has it affected us overall? There was a time, just a few years back, where when commentators talked about playing Pittsburgh you would hear them say things like: "I just don't think the (insert team name) can handle getting hit this hard all game", things like: "the (insert team name) have never been hit like this" and other similar stuff. The more and more I rewatch games the more it's clear, the shear brutality of our defense was/is a major factor. Over the last couple years our defenders have had to worry more about not hitting a player late, not hitting a player a certain way, not getting to physical with a QB, making sure a WR has a chance to catch it and brace before a hit, etc. We still have had a great defense but it was obvious this year that it's just not the same. If you re watch some older games and look for it, even from 2008, you will see the affects we had on opposing offenses. The stands the defense would make in the 4th quarter were possible partly because the offense was weaker at the end of the game then at the beginning. Often times a player was out for the opposing offense by the 4th quarter. With our team as of late (since Beg Ben) we have successfully reigned over teams like the Ravens, Chargers, Jets, Bengals, etc. especially in the playoffs, and a lot of it has to do with being a more aggressive and physical team. Now with these new rules offensive players don't have to worry about getting hit so hard that they fumble and/or get hurt, they can just keep analyzing our defense and begin to figure it out, often times much earlier then the 4th quarter. When the offense doesn't get checked by the defense it can just keep coming at them and coming at them until something works. These new rules have took away the ability to check the defense. WR's focus more on being able to catch the ball because they know if Ryan Clark comes in and knocks them out while they are trying to catch it that they will get the 15 yards anyway, so it doesn't matter. QB's worry less in the pocket because they are getting as untouchable as the Punter and they know it. IMO it's obvious who these rules have hurt the worst. Different teams have different style's of play, some defenses beat you with speed, some try to outsmart you, but our style has been "be physical" (our defense is pretty smart too), and the rules have killed that style. In 2008, when we would stop a team 5 or 6 times straight and our offense would score 7 points total, I would think "there is no way the defense can stop them again".I would think that eventually something the opposing offense tries would have to work. But nothing ever worked, the opposing offense just didn't have enough in the tank to keep coming up with new stuff. Last year the defense was statistically #1 even though they failed at key points and never really passed the eye test IMO. No doubt injuries were probably the biggest reason, but the lack of turnovers has me concerned about Polamalu. This defense is totally different without him and if he's dropping off more this year then things might get rough compared to what we are used to. Some people believe that last year LeBeau was transitioning the defense to be more competitive in the new NFL, where speed and pass coverage trump physicality and defensive brutality. If that's the case and we were still #1 then we will be dangerous again. But I think the new rules have taken away our ability to play Steelers defense the way we always have, and defense has been the anchor of the team since the 70's. Does the defense become extremely dominant again? Does the offense exceed all expectations and take the pressure of our defense? Or do things change for the worse? Interesting to see what happens over the next few years, but it sure is nice being a Steeler knowing that even if our defense is not good by our standards, they will still be top 5. :drink:

mesaSteeler
07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Have you considered using paragraphs in your writing?

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Have you considered using paragraphs in your writing?

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg562/chopperscfl/grammarnazi.jpg

Bayz101
07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately, with former players suing the NFL for money, the game will only worsen as far as physicality over the coming years. If the NFL greats of the past would quit suing the NFL because of the health problems their having outside of football (which they KNEW was a possibility before they started a career in the NFL), the NFL will either become safer, or go broke.

It's sad, but what's funny is, as you said, with all the safety, we're still the best.

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
That is true, there should be protection for the league from understood risks. The league does provide health care for players after retirement correct?

Ricco Suavez
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM

I do. I can over look spelling, I misspell all the time. But a long post like yours is much easier to read if you have breaks. If nothing else places to stop and gather your thoughts before continuing. I have been called for no paragraphs also and I realized they were right. Continue with your contributions and every thing critical pointed out by others is not done with malice.

Ricco Suavez
07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I believe we view the way officials call our games in a biased fashion. (Now I did not say we get a fair shake all the time), What I mean we notice calls that affect us in adverse ways, just like our "haters" like to point out calls they see as favorable to us..........(see Seahawks, Patriots, Browns, Bengals, Ravens, etc..) Do I think the "gentleman" rules of todays football hurt us, yes, but no more than it hurts the 49ers, Ravens, Giants, etc.... Our players and coaches have to adapt to the new NFL. We have already made strides in doing so.

Lets face it some plays do not belong in football, spearing, hitting defenseless players such as punters and or QBs after releasing the ball, horsecollars. As far as rules such as no contact beyond five yards I think the Patriots were as much the cause of that rule as us, esp. after they mauled Peyton's receivers in the playoffs one year. As much as I despise Roger and as much as some of these rules "hurt" football in general, the players are bigger, faster, stronger than ever before. Throw in equipment like helmets that are weapons in their own right than yea player safety has to be considered. If you want less illegal hits put leather helmets back on the players and watch how they change the way they tackle.

tanda10506
07-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Ricco the 5 yards contact rule with the WR's was made for Mel Blount, the Patriots weren't having rules made for them till 2000 or 2001. And I understand safety has to be considered, but the game was pretty safe a few years ago without all the new bs. As far as the refs go, I totally disagree, even commentators have been pointing out some of the bad calls against us, and it's a higher number then those against other teams. Unfortunately there is no statistic for bad calls. And I disagree that it hurts other defenses as much as us, it does hurt them, but IMO not like us. You may be right though, again no statistic for that. As for the paragraphs, when I'm typing on my droid like that, that's how it's going to be. Cell phones have came a long way, but not long enough to use proper grammar in an online forum.

mesaSteeler
07-16-2012, 10:20 PM

You should if you want people to read what you write.

Justin Otstott
07-17-2012, 08:29 AM
While I understand the whole "protection" concept and all that great stuff...I don't understand the rules the NFL and it's shady comish have implemented into the league! You can't avoid concussions in a contact sport. Say what you want but your blind if you can't see how clear it is that Roger has beef with certain Steelers players.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-17-2012, 02:01 PM
OMG, are the grammar police really complaining about the lack of paragraphs? Talk about frivolous lawsuits....

You make some good points TANDA, points that are difficult to voive anywhere but on a private Steelers forum (as fans of other teams might interpret as "excuses" or something). I will go even farther as to say that the whole no offseason/lockout thingy did not benefit our team at all. Some teams weathered it just fine, some teams, went by the roadside. I guess the HC is to blame on that.

But someone pointed out that it is not just our team that gets hurt by the new rules. The rules are not going to change in our favor, so our team just has to suck it up and adapt. The NFL is turning in really disgusting levels of profit, so much as we hate some of Goodell's nonsense, obviously, it is good for the game's popularity (which is all teh owners and Commish care about).

steelfury02
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
this defense is capable of adapting and still being the most physical - I think that Patriots game is a perfect example of the way the defense is heading to adapt

even if regular wrap-em'-up tackles aren't as sexy, those that have played football know that a legal hard hit is still a hard hit and if you're physical enough - you can still intimidate

THAT SAID - there is a reason the Steelers were the only team to not vote for Roger's redonkulous amount of power, be equally mad at the players who, IMAGINE THAT, acted before they thought things out - all they wanted to do is get back and play without thinking what their vote meant

I cannot stand Goodell, I can't stand sissy QBs who and I quote "Think it would be great to see 80-100 pts scored by one offense in a game" (Rogers) and say that "If you can't adapt to the new rules, then you probably shouldn't be playing." We saw GB's single game record broken by their backup QB, the number of points scored in a game, and Marino's record all broken in 1 season. Records won't mean squat anymore and what we love about our Steelers will have to change because that's just the way it is now

I know, that if there is a defense to find a way to still be physical in spite of everything, its our Steelers :tt02: keepin the faith . . .

tanda10506
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
OMG, are the grammar police really complaining about the lack of paragraphs? Talk about frivolous lawsuits....

You make some good points TANDA, points that are difficult to voive anywhere but on a private Steelers forum (as fans of other teams might interpret as "excuses" or something). I will go even farther as to say that the whole no offseason/lockout thingy did not benefit our team at all. Some teams weathered it just fine, some teams, went by the roadside. I guess the HC is to blame on that.

But someone pointed out that it is not just our team that gets hurt by the new rules. The rules are not going to change in our favor, so our team just has to suck it up and adapt. The NFL is turning in really disgusting levels of profit, so much as we hate some of Goodell's nonsense, obviously, it is good for the game's popularity (which is all teh owners and Commish care about).

I agree. The changes are what they are and we have to adapt. As steelfury said, the Pats game last year was a great example, the defense that game was still really good, it's just played a different way. I just think, although it hurts some other teams too, it hurts us more just because that has always been the Steeler way. As for us finding a way to be physical still, we will be in the areas that we can. I'm sure our LB's will still smash RB's, and the individual battles between their O line and our D will be physical, but the part that seemed to affect the game the most was the hard hits on WR's in the middle and in the flats, and on QB's. It's what told the offense to stay out of the middle and be afraid of who's lurking around. The odds of a new commissioner coming in and changing the rule's back is slim to none, especially since the rules were done under "safety" guidelines, so I agree that we will have to change and adapt, and I think we have a great chance at doing it well, I just will always wonder how the 2010 and 2011 season end if every game we are knocking the sh** out of people like we used to.

truesteelerfan
07-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Bet you won't find this subject on a Cheatriots forum!

steelfury02
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
the Patriots certainly don't need a defense it seems, but they have drafted to improve for the future no doubt

-Aside from 1 less turnover in XLV, 2010 couldn't have gone any better - what still sickens me is that we faced a QB that was absolutely possessed and couldn't be pulling a Steve Young at a worst time and we still almost pulled it off in spite of our gaffes

-As you mentioned before, we were 12-4 but didn't match the eye test. a couple less injuries also and who knows - the most weird 12-4 team i've ever witnessed. I just take comfort in the fact the Ravens still find a way to literally, drop the ball even when they aren't playing us! HAHA

They'll be taking a step back this year and we'll be under the radar once more. Everyone has us out of the playoffs and even behind the Bengals - SO BE IT